Forums / Discussion / General

169,877 total conversations in 5,437 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

DeadParrot222 wrote:

The video description is suitably crazy as well.

all of my YES. seeing this after a day of absolute…frustration really soothes my jimmies.

and hello again, guys. finally got some time off from college work and whatnot. French class can be such a jimmy-rustler.

and it’s official: the MLP:FiM article’s comment section has gone into utter disaster. sigh
now i’m quite confident that the decision of jumping into the forums was a wise choice to make.

expect more posts from me later on tonight. (well, day over your side of the pond)

stay classy. :3

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 07:24AM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 07:08AM EDT

Edan, Herper of Many Derps wrote:

Here’s a game we can play. Say who your favorite pony is and describe them (briefly) in a way that makes them sound terrible.

Applejack: She kicks trees for a living.

Ah, I love a challenge.

Rainbow Dash: She crashes more often than Derpy Hooves

@ Brony population:

5-6 million is waaaay too damn high. I’d put it somewhere between 500k and 1 mil.

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:49AM EDT

Fifths wrote:

Ah, I love a challenge.

Rainbow Dash: She crashes more often than Derpy Hooves

@ Brony population:

5-6 million is waaaay too damn high. I’d put it somewhere between 500k and 1 mil.

that makes scene i perrty dam sure im the only brony at my school and maybe that loser kid who keeps on going to 9gag

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:57AM EDT

Here’s a game we can play. Say who your favorite pony is and describe them (briefly) in a way that makes them sound terrible.

Oooooh, a tough one

Derpy: A clumsy clutz

Now I feel bad for saying that….

Jun 24, 2012 at 09:16AM EDT

Scootaloo

She can’t fly.

Jun 24, 2012 at 09:55AM EDT

Fluttershy: Scared of her own shadow.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 11:28AM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:25AM EDT

Twilight: too much of an egghead.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:32PM EDT

Pinkie Pie: A full grown mare who is just learning about responsibility, has stress-induced multiple personalities, and has an eating disorder.

So…about Pony General VI (it really did seem like Pony General V was going to be the last one.) I’m going to make a poll pretty soon with Google unless someone else decides to take it up. I may make a poll/or may ask people to shoot me a PM to make a suggestion.

That way, only people with a more vested interest in the thread can have a vote that counts. But then again, that would be unfair to people who (for whatever reason) just like to read our thoughts on Ponus and Broneis but don’t post.

First off, I stole this list from Muffinator. Please go through and add more to that list, and I’ll keep updating it until we need to pick a new thread title (which I can actually change whenever, so there’s no real rush.)

KYM Pony General VI: Live free or Twi Hard
KYM Pony General VI: Pony General VI: Twilight has a well developed plot
KYM Pony General VI: Stay out of our shed
KYM Pony General Episode VI: Return of the Pony
KYM Pony General VI: Friendship, Unity, Caring, and Kindness
KYM Pony General VI: Know Your Pony
KYM Pony General VI: Never gonna say good-bye
Pony General VI: RandomMan Is Your God Now, Bring Him Your Virgins
Pony General VI: RandomMan’s Harem
Pony General VI: And May We All Bask In RandomMan’s Glory
Pony General VI: YES ANOTHER ONE, DEAL WITH IT
Pony Thread 6: >Implying We Talk About Ponies Here
Pony Thread 6 – Can’t Read My Pony Face P-P-Pony Face
Pony General VI: Because we needed another one

In addition, please suggest which way you’d like to pose voting: via PMs or on a poll.

I would also suggest being able to choose 3 in whatever poll. That way, you don’t have to just pick one, and one that most like to some extent may be chosen.

And if someone else already has set-up a voting system, then please let me know. I don’t mean to step on any toes.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 12:46PM EDT

I like the sounds of Pony General VI: Return of the pony and Pony General VI Friendship, Unity, Caring, and Kindness

Friendship
Unity
Caring
Kindness

I c wat u did there

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 01:59PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 01:59PM EDT

Apparently, some users didn’t read.

please suggest which way you’d like to pose voting: via PMs or on a poll…(I’m going to make a poll pretty soon with Google…)
I would also suggest being able to choose 3 in whatever poll. That way, you don’t have to just pick one, and one that most like to some extent may be chosen.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 02:17PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT

Scootaloo: Quite possibly too cute.

… shut up! It’s a flaw!

@New Thread Name
Still voting for Return of the Pony, though Twi Hard is a close second.
This is our last chance for a Star Wars reference, though!
It’s too good to pass up!

@Ric, below
Yeah, Fluttershy is definitely the only land-pegasus.
*coughScootaloocough
Oh, excuse me!

@All
Is anyone arranging our 3rd weekly TF2 super-game, yet?
We can’t break tradition now!

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 02:50PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 02:20PM EDT

Fluttershy: The ONLY Pegasus that lives on the ground, that we know of.

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:40PM EDT

aerolyt wrote:

I don’t have a definitive favorite pony, but right now I’m pretty into Rarity, so…

Rarity: A drama queen that that’s obsessed with dresses.

OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO CUTE I THINK MY HEART STOPPED AND I GOT DIABEETUS.

This is so adorable.

>Doesn’t know who Lauren Faust is
>Only one alicorn in the show
>Only mentions unicorn, pegasus, and alicorn pony types
>Only knows how to say unicorn
>Not admitting Fluttershy is best pony

The absolute best part? “Rainbow Dash is a little crazy, and she shows off.” She also states that fans of Dash must be also be show-offs.

I loled.

@Megalolzors

There’s a group, apparently.

@Popper

We never did get that server working though, so we just invaded another one, as I recall.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 05:11PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 05:02PM EDT

I’m baaaaacccccckkkkk…..

@Megalolzors
I don’t recall when the second one was…
But my first was last week. We started a server for the forum. It was a great showing.
If anyone has details, PM me.

Does anyone remember “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic”, the 2003 RPG that made Bioware…Bioware?
Anyway, when I wasn’t doing stuff, I managed to find this:

I think it’s pretty awesome.
For those who can’t recall characters, here they are from left to right (by row)
1. Bastila Shan
2. Carth Onasi
2. female Revan (?)
3. Jolee Bindo
4. Juhani
5. Canderous Ordo
6. Mission Vao
7. Zaalbar
8. Darth Malak
9. HK-47
10. T3-M4

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 05:11PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 05:05PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

Apparently, some users didn’t read.

please suggest which way you’d like to pose voting: via PMs or on a poll…(I’m going to make a poll pretty soon with Google…)

Has anyone else noticed that DJ-Pon3 was voted her official name, and yet overtime we all seem to have preferred taking to her as Vinyl Scratch? Not that I’m complaining.

@Popper

Fucking nostalgiagasm. KOTOR is in my top 3 favorite games of all time.

@Diabeetus inducing little girl

CUTENESS OVERLOAD

“Do you know Rainbow Dash?”

“She’s a little crazy, and she shows off”

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 05:50PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 05:31PM EDT

@Popper
Unless my memory is totally inventing things now, I think we had a very small version two weeks ago with only a couple people. Last week was definitely the big one. Someone had suggested making it a weekly event which sounded really fun!

@KOTOR
KOTOR kicks ass! Still one of m favorite twists in gaming history!

@Fifths
As I recall, DJ-PON3 only slightly beat out Vinyl Scratch in the original EQD poll which is what led to the whole stage name/real name thing in the first place. I’ve always preferred Vinyl because using numbers as letters has always bugged me. Not entirely sure why other people have largely made the switch, too, but I like it.
Not to mention, even Hasbro is using Vinyl Scratch now!

Jun 24, 2012 at 05:54PM EDT

HA.

HA HA.

And again, HA.

My favorite characters are Trixie and Chrysalis. Everyone is already fully aware of the fact that they’re terrible.

Voting via poll sounds the best to me, but if we have three votes, I would like to order my votes’ priorities. I would vote for Episode VI or Stay Outta Our Shed three times before I’d vote for >Implying we talk about ponies once. Since I can’t, I voted for “Implying…” because it seemed better than the other choices. Considering most people here have mentioned Episode VI, I’m wondering if there aren’t others who find “Implying…” to be acceptable rather than great. Perhaps PM’s would be better, and we could count top priority votes for three votes, second priority for two, and last choice as only a single vote. That way we could find the title most of us find to be the best, rather than one we all just kinda like.

Has anyone else noticed that DJ-Pon3 was voted her official name, and yet overtime we all seem to have preferred taking to her as Vinyl Scratch?

Actually, I believe the two names were nearly tied on the EQD poll, so they have both been official pretty much. I have been hearing Vinyl more often now, though that may just be KYM’s preference. I imagine it may vary depending on where you hang out. Ponychan or /mlp might prefer DJ PON-3.

Theres a big KYM TF2 supergame?!

Occasionally, the members of the pony thread all get in a match together. Speaking of which, could we try for Saturday or Sunday? I have work throughout most of the weekdays. I still have college work and some moving to do, so there’s no guarantee I’ll have time. But I’ll definitely be too busy during the week, and the weekend is the only chance I’ll get.

Jun 24, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT

Twilight Sparkle: she’s been forever alone most of her life, and now she studies micro-sociology.
Vinyl Scratch: she listens to dubstep. (yeah I WENT THERE)

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 06:10PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 06:08PM EDT

Popperfett wrote:

Does anyone remember “Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic”, the 2003 RPG that made Bioware…Bioware?

Where’d Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights go? :(

Jun 24, 2012 at 06:30PM EDT

AugustDay wrote:

Twilight Sparkle: she’s been forever alone most of her life, and now she studies micro-sociology.
Vinyl Scratch: she listens to dubstep. (yeah I WENT THERE)

Jun 24, 2012 at 06:37PM EDT

i really dig all of the musical ponies for some reason… can’t remember why…

oh yeah… now i remember XD

Jun 24, 2012 at 07:17PM EDT

@August Day

Speaking of musical ponies

Why is it that out of these four we chose to obsess over the idiot bass player?

Edit: Also, why does she have a treble clef for a cutie mark? Both the cello and the bass are notated using a bass clef. The music theory pedant in me is very grumpy >:(

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 07:49PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 07:36PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

@August Day

Edit: Also, why does she have a treble clef for a cutie mark? Both the cello and the bass are notated using a bass clef. The music theory pedant in me is very grumpy >:(

Actually…out of those four…the least one I’ve seen is the Harp player.

Considering how overactive our imaginations are to even the slightest bit of connection between two ponies, you’d think we’d have some huge fanon linking him to Lyra somehow.

I also think we clung to Octavia because of the 4…she has the weirdest pose. Standing bipedal and…how the fuck is she holding that Bow?

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 07:41PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 07:41PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

@August Day

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT

Pony General VI: If T-t-that’s Ok With Verbose [squeak]

Because Fluttershy is his favorite pony.

>That feel when people don’t actually read the Vinyl Scratch entry first.

Pinkie Pie

Will destroy humanity by breaking the 4th wall.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 08:16PM EDT

@How is she holding the bow?

I always figured that it was just that particular look on her face that made people latch on to her.

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:19PM EDT

@Fifths

1. As pheonix mentioned, she is standing bipedally and holding a bow with her hoof, thus making her stand out from the rest of the quartet. This makes her prime for fanonization.
2. From what I’ve seen, people recognize the treble clef more than the bass clef. So it would make sense they use the more recognizable clef, as it is the most associated to music. You seen any shirts with the bass clef on it?

…Shut it.
3. Given that bronies are an exceedingly male group, they would ppay more attention and fanonize the mares over the colts. There are only two mares there, and, let’s face it, the tuba is not a sexy instrument. It could be the sousaphone, but my point still stands. Even the French Horn is sexier than them, and it ain’t that sexy (I’ve played it, I know.)
4. You call THIS charmingly adorable smexy beast idiotic?

Well then good day sir. May the God you have no faith in give you good fortune, for I sure won’t.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 08:35PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT

@Favorite pony game

Rarity: she flirts to steal vegetables.

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:40PM EDT

@El Slinker

1: I should think that playing piano or harp WITH HOOVES should be more notable than simply being able to get on your hind legs and tape a bow to your hoof.

2: Not only would the bass clef have been more accurate, it’s a sexy clef that deserves some love too.

3: Given that bronies already have a FUUUUUUUUCK load of females to fanonize, you’d think we’d be eager to get just 1 or 2 guys in. Also, french horn is easily the sexiest of the brass instruments.

4: All bass players are idiots, this much is axiomatic.

And I’ll have you know that I have plenty of faith in God.

Just go and ask DeadParrot’s corpse

Jun 24, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT

@ fifths
She also has to pinch down the strings while playing. I’d say it’s just as impossible a feat as playing the piano with hooves.

Jun 24, 2012 at 09:14PM EDT

1. As can be seen from the pic, the piano has large keys and the harp’s strings are extremely seperated, making it easier to play than a bass, which needs to be held up while standing bipedally and holding both bow and neck and have good navigation with the strings on the fingerboard. Ponies can barely stand up for barely a few seconds, let alone for an entire concerto. That alone makes Octavia more impressive.

2. Is it my fault for the animators’ attitude towards general public? Not everyone is as gifted or educated in musical theory as you are, we should at least think for the simple many. Therefore, like I said, the treble is more recognizable to most, plus, it is more aesthetically pleasing than a backwards ‘c’ with two dots on it’s side.

3.Yes, the french horn is one of the sexiest brass instruments. Let’s not forget the trumpet which is, in my opinion, the sexiest brass instrument. I mean come on, both Louis Armstrong, Rafael Mendez play this, plus it can fit in possibly more genres than the french horn and has become a staple of jazz. Also, You saying that fanon needs more colts? Let me tell you, most bronies are male. More mares = better.

4. Even if playing bass is simplest in your eyes, you must have incredible sense of tone and rhythm to play any single musical instrument. Something not everyone is blessed with and can take years of practice to abtain.

And I no longer doubt in your faith of your god.

@Dac
You ninja’d me in one of my points.

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 09:32PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 09:29PM EDT

@Music fight

“Oh! I-I’m sorry… I-I didn’t mean to yell… I was just gonna say that, well, if you were talking a-about s-sexy brass instruments, I’ve always kinda liked the, you know… the saxophone…”

@Fifths
Would this be a bad time to mention that I really like your basslines in your songs?
That wouldn’t make you an idiot, would it?

“What’s going on in the clouds now?”

Jun 24, 2012 at 09:46PM EDT

Recently came out of the stable and told my mom I’m a brony.

I was expecting her to throw me out of the house.

However, as my mom went to college in 80’s, all I got was

“Meh. I’ve done weirder.”

I don’t know whether to be happy that I no longer have to hide my sketchbook or be freaked out at the possible atrocities my mother committed at college.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:06PM EDT

@ El Slinker, Dac

1: Octavia being able to stand bipedally for long periods isn’t that impressive because she can lean on her instrument for support. Similarly, while being able to press down the strings on a violin or viola with hooves would be impressive because you need a thumb to provide counterpressure to keep the thing from toppling over, on a big instrument like that, it really isn’t neccesary. Also, given the fact that there is a larger distance between notes on the neck, you can still play with some degree of precision even with a hoof.

2: On the aesthetic of the bass clef vs. the treble clef, I find myself intrigued. Personally, I find both of them to be aesthetically attractive, but I wonder if the only reason I like the bass clef is because I’ve learned to symbolically associate it with music.

3: So, more mares=better huh?

Gotcha. Oh, and in a classical setting, the horn is definately sexier than the trumpet. I won’t contest you on the jazz side however.

4: Say what you will, bassists and violists will always be looked down upon.

@DeadParrot

I agree that sax is sexier than the horn, but the sax isn’t considered a brass instrument. It’s actually considered a woodwind. Now, you may have noticed the slight technicality that the sax isn’t made of wood, but brass, but you’re apparently still under the mistaken impression that musical categories should make some kind of sense. Music is full of stupid little idiosyncrasies like that. The worst is transposing instruments, God I hate having to read scores with transposing instruments.

Oh, and as for your second comment, what exactly are you implying? Are you saying that my bass lines have an obvious practice that the other instruments don’t, that there is a strong implication that I first started playing music on the bass, that no matter how hard I try to escape it I’ll always be a stupid, idiot face bassist at heart who can only play one note at a time? Don’t be absurd.

@Badsitrep

Why not both?

Last edited Jun 24, 2012 at 10:32PM EDT
Jun 24, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT

Twelve hours of Dark Souls.

I have been to the depths of insanity and back, and I am no more closer to finding the answer to enlightenment than before. What torture must I bind myself with in order to be granted this last respite, other than that of the MOTHERFUCKING CATACOMBS!

ahem

Anyways, that’s why I’ve been absent, today.

Gonna rapid-fire:

@Music discussion:

>2012
>Calling bass-players idiots
>Not sure if shiggy diggy or headbutt

I honestly don’t know why the fandom picked Octavia. Might be the gender, I guess, as it’s been proven it does hold a bit of sway, but I’m not really sure. I, personally, think that the pianist looks damned smooth, and he has a nice color scheme.

As for people saying more mares=better, I wouldn’t be so sure. We already have a lot of female characters, to the point that I think more male characters might be appreciated. As it is, we haven’t seen a lot on that side, considering Big Mac is the most developed male character in the shoe, and most of that has been either obvious or pointed out by other characters (i.e. Applebloom saying he’s shy, despite little evidence helping us make the connection). So, I think the fandom could appreciate more male characters getting some love, if not in the show.

As for my favorite music pony…

Tomb is best poni.

@Thread title:

Yeah, I think we should do what was suggested with the Priority Vote counting for three, the second vote for two, and last resort for one. I voted for >Implying… because I liked it more than the last few choices, but it was my last choice of my three. I saw that it was beating out Return of the Pony by far, and I wish I’d be able to put all three of my votes behind Return of the Pony, as I like it most.

I don’t see the problem with just having a single vote, though.

@badsitrep:

Now you must do what I did and convert her. Show her some episodes (preferably good ones), and she’ll likely come around. I tend to find mothers are more likely to either not care about it, support it, or join in with it when it comes to MLP.

As for doing crazy shit… Well…

My mom read Fifty Shades of Grey, so I know that feel.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:23PM EDT

@Fifths

This is getting outta hand.

1. Octavia being able to stand for long periods of time is still impressive if you take into consideration that you would need a good sense of balance in order to stand upright with the intrument without putting too much weight on it and tip over, the tailpiece adds no help on that matter. Though the neck is long allowing for an ease of playing notes, the length of it will cause a player to constantly shift their hoof along it, thus making it more difficult to stand.

2. Aesthetically speaking, the elegance and curves of the treble is more appealing than the simplicity of the bass clef. Then again, as with all things, this can be subjective and difer from person to person.

3. As I said, most bronies are male, and most bronies have a distaste of shipping outside straight and lez couples for obvious reasons. (Me personally…

Not so much…)

4.Even if they are looked down upon, that still does not change my dedication towards her.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:40PM EDT

@fifth
The strings are still very close together especially when using one inflexible and giant digit. It’s impossible to pinch the strings and play all the notes with a hoof. In real life, you can train animals to mess around on pianos a bit because they only need to press down a key, but the level of dexterity needed to play a string instrument can only be found in humans.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT

Pinkie says hi to you all… she is going to consume cake now.

PINKIE NEEDS TO KNOW WHO MANUFACTURED THIS!
I am not fat….that’s just cake fat…AND HOW DID PINKIE TURNED INTO THIS FROM ALL THAT CAKE?!
Unless….
Those creatures that the oddly sitting unicorn keep rambling about are real…
NO! YES!
I will soon get down to the meaning of this immediately!! Pinkie will require more information to resolve this! I need to go fine the purple one that seems to have yet to get ride of the daemon in her attic! Then I must find that oddly sitting unicorn once more…

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT

@fifths
I forget to say that you actually lean the double bass on yourself while playing. It would be impossible to play while supporting your weight on it really, I mean look at the little thing holding it up. It’s actually more impressive that she can stand bipedal while playing the double bass.

Last edited Jun 25, 2012 at 12:13AM EDT
Jun 25, 2012 at 12:12AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!