Forums / Discussion / General

170,548 total conversations in 5,576 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

So… I believe now we can all agree that Spike is best character, right?

I mean, his swag is unmatched. He spends all day around countless, naked, adult women. And he’s… like… two years old, or something.

EDIT: Page get!

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT

Hay guise. I just decided to drop by with my newest drawing like usual. Whaddaya think Random? Good enough Touhou crossover for ’ya?

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 02:27PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 02:26PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Hay guise. I just decided to drop by with my newest drawing like usual. Whaddaya think Random? Good enough Touhou crossover for ’ya?

What’s all this talk about Spike having unmatched swag?

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 02:43PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 02:42PM EDT

Did you spend all day around naked women when you were three?

Don’t answer that.

No, he just abuses and terrorizes a defenseless naked women everyday. Humph, some man…

Oh, am I the only one who thought fluttershy was showing up when pinkie pie was whispering?

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 03:27PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 03:22PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

Your art man….it speaks to my soul man….So powerful man…so beautiful…

Mar 17, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT

Did you spend all day around naked women when you were three?

Don’t answer that.

Does this answer your question?

Mar 17, 2012 at 03:42PM EDT

Racism is alive and well amongst dragons apparently. All that pony hating, tisk tisk.

Mar 17, 2012 at 04:40PM EDT

Damnit Hasbro you ableist bastards!

THIS EPISODE’S GOING DOWN RIGHT THIS SECOND!

lolnope.

But what did you think of Crackles, the Derpy Dragon? I expect some heavy paring with Derpy from now on.

Oh, and Spike is best Snoopy now

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT

Dr. Gregory Horse The Pony Medic wrote:

Damnit Hasbro you ableist bastards!

THIS EPISODE’S GOING DOWN RIGHT THIS SECOND!

lolnope.

But what did you think of Crackles, the Derpy Dragon? I expect some heavy paring with Derpy from now on.

Oh, and Spike is best Snoopy now

Like I said, inb4 it gets removed because someone calls it retarded

Mar 17, 2012 at 04:57PM EDT

Looks like the Hub gained a level: they have promos for the new episodes now! (spoilers)

Epic.

Mar 17, 2012 at 05:15PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Looks like the Hub gained a level: they have promos for the new episodes now! (spoilers)

Epic.

One thing about that:

HAIL TO THE PONY KING BABY

Mar 17, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT

@Best pony discussion (yes, I know I’m late)

Don’t kid yourself. Twilight is best pony. Cleverbot agrees:

Erm, I mean Youtube agrees:

-

@ Episode

I liked it. Don’t feel like going into much detail about it, but it was nice to see Spike get his own screen time.

And Crackles is best dragon.

Mar 17, 2012 at 05:58PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

STOP TRYING TO EAT TWILIGHT’S BUTT, RARITY!!

Mar 17, 2012 at 06:48PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

Epic.

Damn! They can bench 1000lbs with only two feathers!??!

Mar 17, 2012 at 06:57PM EDT

Like I said, inb4 it gets removed because someone calls it retarded

Yeah, watch it happen and then get totally edited out which makes the scene have no sense. I can actually, and unfortunately see that happening.

Mar 17, 2012 at 07:19PM EDT

A MESSAGE TO ALL DRAGONS FROM PRINCESS CELESTIA!!:

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 07:28PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 07:28PM EDT

Naw, not all dragons have the ability to belch scrolls, which does make me wonder how Spike managed to pick it up.

Besides, the red one from Dragonshy wasn’t that bad. I’d be pretty pissed off if someone kicked me in the face as well.

Mar 17, 2012 at 07:32PM EDT

I do hope the baby Phoenix is in later episodes. Is soooo cute.

Mar 17, 2012 at 07:50PM EDT

Ashki wrote:

Naw, not all dragons have the ability to belch scrolls, which does make me wonder how Spike managed to pick it up.

Besides, the red one from Dragonshy wasn’t that bad. I’d be pretty pissed off if someone kicked me in the face as well.

Mar 17, 2012 at 08:01PM EDT

Algernon wrote:

Twins wrote:

Also, why would she willingly do work for such a terrible show?

The writers should be kicked out of the business, and forcibly castrated so that they may never have children who are stupid again.

I really want to figured out what Tara did for this episode (has it even been mentioned in the brony community before?), but I’d rather not suffer through watching it.

>Writers make a show I don’t like
>Forcibly remove genitals
Hmm. Seems fair.

Anyways, it’s quite easy to find the clip on YouTube. You should really keep an open mind and actually watch it before bashing it. Tara Strong had a very minor role, and it didn’t make her or the characters in MLP look bad in any way. If anything, it was a free advertisement for the actual show, so I don’t see why Hasbro/Studio B would be opposed to her doing the voiceovers.

I thought it was pretty funny to be honest. I know the humour is pretty immature, and completely lacking in subtlety, but that doesn’t mean it’s automatically bad. They even gave us a shout-out that looks to be sincere. It really wasn’t a big deal, and definitely nothing to get annoyed over.

Completely unrelated:
I won’t be around for the post-episode banter later, and I might not be around for SynchTube or anything else happening tonight. I really would like to be there, but I have IRL things to be doing. So, yeah. Sorry ’bout that.

Yeah, I guess I overreacted a bit there. I just hate to see how most cartoons today are terrible.

And once again, if you knew anything about me after the 2 months I’ve been on here, you would know that I’m slow. That’s my claim to fame here. Posted in Pony general V like on the 6th page, missed 2 weeks’ worth of episodes and it took me 2 more weeks to catch up, still haven’t watched Dragon Quest, joins discussions after they’re already over, posts when no one’s on, etc. I pride myself that I’m the most reliable unreliable person I know.

Hey, that actually wasn’t that bad. I guess terrible shows can be funny sometimes too. Yeah, I’ll admit that I am prone to bashing things that I really don’t know much about. Ponies for one thing.

But 1 funnyish sketch doesn’t make the entire show any good. Family Guy is a hit and miss show, and most of the time, it’s miss. Which makes it terrible. This is even moreso. From the portion of one episode of Mad that I saw, it was terrible. And that led to my pointless and stupid rant up there in that post.

Those 3 minutes in that clip did make me squirm in my seat a bit. Sure, the shout-out was decent, and they seemed to be commending bronies. But it was too all over the place, and like I said, referencing as much pop culture references you can is terrible. The voice acting was bad, the animation was worse (although I suppose that’s part of the charm of the show). The jokes did work, and Pinkie’s impression was spot on accurate. However, it didn’t have any sort of flow. It went all over the place. First you have this English guy who wants to save Pinkie Pie, and then you have the war, and then you have Adventures of Tin Tin, and then some more stuff. It seems highly reminiscent of the “movie” parody movies, and we all know how bad those are.

I still adhere to my view that the writers are terrible, although I suppose that they wouldn’t need to be castrated, since hey, we gotta give them a chance right? It really isn’t that hard to derive humour from parodies. There are funny parodies, and there are good ones.

Or maybe it’s just not my brand of humor. And judging from the rather low reviews of the show as a whole, most people don’t like it either.

Apologies if there is still some rage in this post. I hate when I go off on rants and bashings, but I always seem to do it. If only I could go back in time and tell myself not to post…

Also, I found the contract thing with Hasbro.
I quote: "OK, so here’s the down low… A while ago, When Tara Strong first started trolling/loving Bronies, I approached her about possibly voicing an animated short for us, offering payment and everything. She saw some of my older MLP animations and really seemed to love the idea, but told me that she couldn’t be hired to voice her MLP character outside of her contract with Hasbro/SAG. So that’s it right? No animation… Then all of the sudden, BAM! VocalTwit: The holy alternative! "
Unless I’m getting something wrong here, Tara breached the contract. She clearly was hired to do her MLP character outside of her contract with Hasbro/SAG.

Either Hasbro is really lenient with their contracts, or Tara was just trolling the guy. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

One day I’m going to start a comedy TV show. Seems easy enough. You don’t need a lot of talent or actually be funny, you just need to know about every facet of popular culture there ever is. Reference them all multiple times in your show, fill it up with pointless gags, go nowhere with the jokes, reused said jokes over and over, reference pop culture some more, get cancelled a few times, get uncancelled because of fans, get 2 spinoff shows which are the exact same thing and completely take over Fox’s airtime, and make $100 million.

Seems like a good idea.

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 08:29PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 08:22PM EDT
>Writers make a show I don’t like
>Forcibly remove genitals
Hmm. Seems fair.

Genitals are overrated

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 08:41PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 08:26PM EDT

Marksaline (Erin) wrote:

Yeah, that definitely seems plausible. Unless something else does show up in a later episode, I’m going to go with this.

Mar 17, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT

Now I’m getting post rant stress disorder. I feel like I’m a useless part of this community that just complains about stuff, is always wrong about everything, annoys the muffins out of everyone else and doesn’t actually contribute. Like I’m the type of person that I bash, and no one actually takes me seriously. Wish I could downvote myself.

Don’t have the strength to watch Dragon Quest anymore.

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 08:45PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Now I’m getting post rant stress disorder. I feel like I’m a useless part of this community that just complains about stuff, is always wrong about everything, annoys the muffins out of everyone else and doesn’t actually contribute. Like I’m the type of person that I bash, and no one actually takes me seriously. Wish I could downvote myself.

-You are NOT useless (part of this community)
-Complaining about stuff is fine*
-I do take your posts seriously

Have a hug:

*Complaining: Im gonna introduce a rant/complain section over @ TPH. There was a section on the forums for complaining in one of the old communities I used to visit. (video game related community). That section worked wonders to let off steam and stuff.

Mar 17, 2012 at 08:55PM EDT

IvanP91c wrote:

-You are NOT useless (part of this community)
-Complaining about stuff is fine*
-I do take your posts seriously

Have a hug:

*Complaining: Im gonna introduce a rant/complain section over @ TPH. There was a section on the forums for complaining in one of the old communities I used to visit. (video game related community). That section worked wonders to let off steam and stuff.

Thanks. I needed that. And the rant section is a genius idea! I’ll be #1 poster there for sure.

I should be back to normal now. I don’t stay sad for long. Or happy for that matter. My emotions come and go like Pinkie Pie, and sometimes I feel really bipolar.

Getting a master’s degree is pretty stressful and all, and sometimes I need a place to contain all my unwarranted rage and ranting.

326 karma in 20 days?

Mar 17, 2012 at 09:09PM EDT

@twins
It’s not that simple. Seth Macfarlane made a name for himself by working for cartoon network on the cartoon cartoons block( Johnny bravo, dexters lab, cow and chicken, and I. M. Weasel). He has plently of talent and family guy was funny a couple years ago. It’s just that lately his other fox shows have been pretty mediocre in my opinion( american dad Is ok at best, Cleveland show is shit). Still I won’t let that bother me enough to say he’s untalented and unfunny. Obvoiusly there are people who watch those shows, so it must be funny to them. Try not to hate on other shows so much considering we watch a show about brightly colored ponies. About the cartoons of today sucking, let me just say that nostalgia makes you see the past through rose colored glasses.
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/2013/
Thats how it is with everything really, we remember the past being better then it really was.

About Tara strong voicing the ponies. She didn’t breach the contract because those ponies where different enough that it wasn’t an issue I guess( they weren’t called by there MLP names). Also, she’s a veteran voice actor and I’m sure she talked to hasbro about it before voicing the ponies in the parody. If she didn’t, then she ethier has massive girl balls 2) or is very stupid and unprofessional.

Don’t worry about your rants, they don’t bother anyone. And you’re not useless to the community, that’s just stinking thinking.

edit on my phone and couldn’t get the link to work.

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 10:02PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 09:52PM EDT

Everybody comfort Twins.

Because we all love you.

Mar 17, 2012 at 09:58PM EDT

Is it that time of the month again?

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:36PM EDT

Is that all you got phaggot? Hope you enjoyed your short stay on this site!

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:48PM EDT

Marksaline (Erin) wrote:

No, not really.

We just had a minor thing, and it’s been taken care of. Please don’t escalate the situation.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:59PM EDT

Drpepperfan #1 Fan Of Osaka wrote:

Gone. Tell me on IRC if anything else happens.

Wait
what?

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:04PM EDT

You do not understand how bad that was.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:04PM EDT

If you missed it, it was a troll posting old people gore in the forums. And goatse.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:05PM EDT

Dac wrote:

@twins
It’s not that simple. Seth Macfarlane made a name for himself by working for cartoon network on the cartoon cartoons block( Johnny bravo, dexters lab, cow and chicken, and I. M. Weasel). He has plently of talent and family guy was funny a couple years ago. It’s just that lately his other fox shows have been pretty mediocre in my opinion( american dad Is ok at best, Cleveland show is shit). Still I won’t let that bother me enough to say he’s untalented and unfunny. Obvoiusly there are people who watch those shows, so it must be funny to them. Try not to hate on other shows so much considering we watch a show about brightly colored ponies. About the cartoons of today sucking, let me just say that nostalgia makes you see the past through rose colored glasses.
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/2013/
Thats how it is with everything really, we remember the past being better then it really was.

About Tara strong voicing the ponies. She didn’t breach the contract because those ponies where different enough that it wasn’t an issue I guess( they weren’t called by there MLP names). Also, she’s a veteran voice actor and I’m sure she talked to hasbro about it before voicing the ponies in the parody. If she didn’t, then she ethier has massive girl balls 2) or is very stupid and unprofessional.

Don’t worry about your rants, they don’t bother anyone. And you’re not useless to the community, that’s just stinking thinking.

edit on my phone and couldn’t get the link to work.

I highly doubt Seth MacFarlane has no talent. He clearly know’s what he’s doing. Giving the people what they want. Are the shows stupid and unfunny most of the time? Yes. Is Seth MacFarlane stupid and unfunny? Nope. He clearly is a talented and sophisticated guy, smart enough to know that people eat up crap and so, that’s what he gives them.

And earlier episodes of Family Guy were decentish. The problem with it was that although the idea of cutaway gags had merit and was original enough at first, there’s only so much you can do with them that’s funny. And so the writers behind Family Guy used up all the funniness behind the gags early on, leaving nothing left for the show but stealing internet memes, reusing the same bits over and over, and filling up the episode’s time with gags that do the same repetitive thing for about 3 minutes. Yet people still buy it up.

People, as a whole, are dumb. I won’t say stupid. Silly puerile humour is often the only type of humour that resonates with the hoi polloi.

Seth MacFarlane himself has voiced his opinion that Family Guy should have ended after 7 seasons. Judging from what the article says, he doesn’t really like his work. But money is money, so he keeps on doing what he does best: making it.

I hate on the shows, yes, but I don’t hate on the guy behind it.

“( they weren’t called by there MLP names)”
Yeah, they said Pinkie Pie a few times in that. And the characters were clearly derivative of the ones on FiM. I like to think that Mad is such an uninspiring show that Hasbro doesn’t really care.

Ah, the nostalgia effect. Good times, good times.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Wait
what?

You don’t want to know man, you don’t wanna know….

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:10PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

No, not really.

We just had a minor thing, and it’s been taken care of. Please don’t escalate the situation.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT

Mister J wrote:

If you missed it, it was a troll posting old people gore in the forums. And goatse.

Oh thank God I got sidetracked by a half hour Angry Review.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT

CitationNeeded wrote:

Oh thank God I got sidetracked by a half hour Angry Review.

The shit I’ve seen bro. Good thing u didn’t see it. Its the kind of shit that only a bullet to the brain can remove. No eye bleach will help.

IRC is currently discussing and removing his other posts. Cause that was awful. Bleh
---
Even the Okay guy is NOT okay with what happened:

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:21PM EDT

Thank god for alcohol.

I’ve forgotten about all this gore by tomorrow.

Last edited Mar 17, 2012 at 11:27PM EDT
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:24PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!