Forums / Discussion / General

232,837 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

Am I the only one that didn't cry when I read that comic? It just reminded me of the movie Joe Black because he got hit by two cars simultaneously just like in the movie. It didn't move me at all to be honest.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 04:41PM EDT

IvanP91c wrote:

Alternative link:
Tara Strong's image or whatever
--
My reaction:

Mine:

@Dac-attack!!!
I did not either, but I felt sad and depressed though, but then I felt happy because the man will no longer be facing the B.S. humans do in a everyday life. Yes ponies may not have as much entertainment and technology. But I will be more at peace with my inner self.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 04:46PM EDT

On the topic of Equestria as an afterlife:

As far as afterlives go, that sounds like one of the better ones. (Controversy incoming) I've never understood the appeal of the afterlives in Abrahamic religions, where everything is perfect and there's never any strife. It's the hardships in life that make it interesting. I like peaceful and relaxing days, but only because it's a break from work. If I go without work for too long, I just get restless. An eternity without work would be agonisingly boring. To me, Equestria would be close to a perfect paradise, as it looks like a very relaxing place, but there's always something to do. It's a society where everyone has a role to play, and everyone's appreciated for what they do. There's also the occasional disaster to keep you on your toes. It would suck pretty hard to be an Earth pony, but I'd love to fly around freely as a pegasus or say "fuck you" to the laws of physics as a unicorn.

However, it does have a lot of downsides. I'd miss technology a lot. Magic is a great alternative, but not all ponies can use it effectively, and it doesn't let you laugh at cat videos on YouTube. Equestria also doesn't seem to progress like Earth does. Science and technology are continually advancing here on Earth, and it seems to me like we're slowly forging our way towards our own paradise on Earth (though I doubt any of us will see it in our lifetimes). Equestria on the other hand doesn't seem to have progressed much since the middle ages (though they do have hydroelectric power for some reason), and that makes it seem pretty boring. Imagine looking back to the past after a long life, and realising that thinks were pretty much exactly the same back when you were a kid. That's gotta suck.

(Moar controversy incoming) There's also the issue that I don't really like the idea of afterlives in general. I don't believe in the human soul, so I can't imagine a way for our consciousness and memories to somehow transfer themselves to a new entity in a different realm. As far as I'm concerned, once those neurones stop firing in my brain, I'm gone. Also, would we be doomed to die again in Equestria? If so, do we then progress to the next afterlife, and the one after that? After a few thousand iterations of this, any successive paradise would seem more and more like a personal hell. It would be even worse if I couldn't die in Equestria, since then I'd be trapped in that one world for all eternity. That might be fine for the first billion years or so, but eternity is a pretty freakin' long time.

I may be atheist, but if there was an afterlife in which I could exist in Equestria, I would do my best to get there. Personally, I think if a human were to go to Equestria in an afterlife, they would need their minds almost wiped clean. That way, memories of the (awful) past as a human would not prevent one from maximizing happiness. Having no memory of the things one had while living (technology, Internet, as Algernon has stated) would also be beneficial for maximizing happiness; you cannot miss what you do no remember.

Ric Te$l@ wrote:

You guys should look at this comic it is freaking amazing!
It's long as hell and well drawn comic and I am hoping at the bottom of y heart that in the after life that this can happy to me too….I do like how heaven looks but…ponies are more fun.

That was extremely well drawn. Especially the shading. I'm no art expert, but I'd say the artist behind that comic definitely took the time to develop his/her own unique art style and studied art theory (is that the right phrase?). However, it didn't elicit as much of an emotional response from me compared to page 54 for some reason.

Maybe it's the fact that it's translated. When you translate something from one language to another, you'll never get the exact nuances and intricacies of the original language across. Maybe it's because although the ending was great, the beginning and middle seemed like your standard "guy gets hit by a car and dies" plot. You could replace them to have nothing to do with ponies at all and it would still make sense (until the last few panels).

If I sound critical, it's because I'm critiquing it. That was definitely a well thought-out and written comic, beautiful enough to bring a tear to even the most ardent of pony haters. It started slow, but slowly reveals itself to be much more than that.

Come on, am i think only one who wants to live in a crossover heaven? Although Ivan's idea is very attractive-eternal peace, at the price of really, nothing much.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT

@Algernon

I asked my mother about that since I subscribe to Christianity. The idea of praising God eternally outside of my own living honestly doesn't excite me, and living in complete and total peace without new events occurring and changes going on in the world to consider and not constantly meeting new people would simply be boring.

According to the Bible, bodies (and potentially minds) would change so that the heaven where you'd actually be praising God for all eternity would be what you wanted. (In less nice terms, you'd be brainwashed to enjoy your eternity. All of the aspects of personality would be removed, so you wouldn't be bored.)

That could bring up the topic of predestination, and heaven not being an initiative to follow Christianity even beyond that of simply not believing in a higher being, a higher being as portrayed by Abrahamic faiths, or something of an afterlife at all. I don't follow Christianity in order to get to heaven though. I believe, when practiced with love and with the teachings of Christ in mind, that it is a way to love that isn't always dictated by what the best outcome is or what the most logical approach is.

I generally choose to believe there is an afterlife, if only because I'd hate to believe that upon death, all of my memories will die along with my brain. It makes anything I currently do or feel mean little, because anyone else who still lives that has met you or has been exposed to what you've left for the world will die and forget as well. There is no point. That doesn't mean there is, in fact, a point to life besides what you make of it and there very well may not be any afterlife. But if I chose my own life and meaning given the finite nature of my life and my consciousness of meaning, then I wouldn't choose it at all, and would consider everything ultimately meaningless.

I think that since we have consciousness of any sort either means 1) it's an unfortunate side-effect of being, and we all have to come to grips with experiencing it and then losing it forever to never get it again, or 2) consciousness continues, even without any memory.

Now, pony-related afterlife: I wouldn't mind. I tend to think that consciousness continues after death, but I have no idea what it is. It could be an infinite number of reincarnations or an eventual end point of continued consciousness (I tend to lean towards the latter, because I believe we'll run out of vessels for consciousness at some point.)

So if life in Equestria is one of those points, then I think it would simply be a simple life. Since I don't think I'd remember living as a human, I wouldn't have to adjust to being a pony or living without many of the technologies and forms of entertainment. As long as I can meet cool ponies with cool personalities, then I'll be just fine playing sports and learning about ponies and life.

Also, needs more color:

I didn't mean to post here, but I check in very often, and I haven't been able to give much thought to my own belief of afterlife since my junior year where I was very depressed. (Yes, the loss of one created the other. Sue me, I'm "weak.")

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 06:05PM EDT

The quoted post has been deleted.

mfw someone besides me posts Radiohead.

Now have some LoTR ponies.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 06:09PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

@Algernon

I asked my mother about that since I subscribe to Christianity. The idea of praising God eternally outside of my own living honestly doesn't excite me, and living in complete and total peace without new events occurring and changes going on in the world to consider and not constantly meeting new people would simply be boring.

According to the Bible, bodies (and potentially minds) would change so that the heaven where you'd actually be praising God for all eternity would be what you wanted. (In less nice terms, you'd be brainwashed to enjoy your eternity. All of the aspects of personality would be removed, so you wouldn't be bored.)

That could bring up the topic of predestination, and heaven not being an initiative to follow Christianity even beyond that of simply not believing in a higher being, a higher being as portrayed by Abrahamic faiths, or something of an afterlife at all. I don't follow Christianity in order to get to heaven though. I believe, when practiced with love and with the teachings of Christ in mind, that it is a way to love that isn't always dictated by what the best outcome is or what the most logical approach is.

I generally choose to believe there is an afterlife, if only because I'd hate to believe that upon death, all of my memories will die along with my brain. It makes anything I currently do or feel mean little, because anyone else who still lives that has met you or has been exposed to what you've left for the world will die and forget as well. There is no point. That doesn't mean there is, in fact, a point to life besides what you make of it and there very well may not be any afterlife. But if I chose my own life and meaning given the finite nature of my life and my consciousness of meaning, then I wouldn't choose it at all, and would consider everything ultimately meaningless.

I think that since we have consciousness of any sort either means 1) it's an unfortunate side-effect of being, and we all have to come to grips with experiencing it and then losing it forever to never get it again, or 2) consciousness continues, even without any memory.

Now, pony-related afterlife: I wouldn't mind. I tend to think that consciousness continues after death, but I have no idea what it is. It could be an infinite number of reincarnations or an eventual end point of continued consciousness (I tend to lean towards the latter, because I believe we'll run out of vessels for consciousness at some point.)

So if life in Equestria is one of those points, then I think it would simply be a simple life. Since I don't think I'd remember living as a human, I wouldn't have to adjust to being a pony or living without many of the technologies and forms of entertainment. As long as I can meet cool ponies with cool personalities, then I'll be just fine playing sports and learning about ponies and life.

Also, needs more color:

I didn't mean to post here, but I check in very often, and I haven't been able to give much thought to my own belief of afterlife since my junior year where I was very depressed. (Yes, the loss of one created the other. Sue me, I'm "weak.")

You have to be careful in quoting or citing the Bible. It is written in a manner such that you can pull out passages out of it without any context, and almost completely use that to support whatever your intended meaning is. That's how extremist Christian groups justify their actions. They pull out about a snippet of a sentence saying God did so and so, and so their protesting of same sex marriage/beating their children/picketing soldier's funerals/everyone is going to hell except us/trolling the crap out of everyone (lol Westboro Church) is perfectly legitimate in their eyes.

Understand the Bible for what it is: a great literary work. Even religion bashers can agree that the Bible has been one of, if not the most, greatest books in all of all time. Even if you don't believe a word of what's inside, you have to admire the overall messages of the Bible (which also can be interpreted in no less than 9000 ways), and the fact that the tales and morals contained in it have stood the test of time and continue to have a massive influence on human society almost 2000 years after its time of composition.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT

First half of this post is completely off-topic, so I'll apologise in advance for that.

Verbose wrote:

I generally choose to believe there is an afterlife, if only because I’d hate to believe that upon death, all of my memories will die along with my brain. It makes anything I currently do or feel mean little, because anyone else who still lives that has met you or has been exposed to what you’ve left for the world will die and forget as well. There is no point.

First off, thanks for the response! I love these sorts of discussions.

I take a different approach when it comes to beliefs. I honestly think the world would be a better place if there were a God looking over us, but as much as I try, I can't convince myself that that's the case. I try not to 'choose' beliefs, but instead I try to go with whatever explanation seems most logical to me. I don't like to think of myself and my memories gradually fading away into obscurity, but I still believe that it'll happen, as it seems to be the most logical outcome. The universe doesn't care for human wishes, so reality may not reflect our own personal hopes and desires.

I also disagree with that last statement, that 'there is no point'. As far as I'm concerned, there is no objective 'point' to anything, but we can still consider certain things to be important. My hope is that I can leave some legacy that improves the world. The world may not remember me for it, but I still want to help humanity in my own way. Eventually, everything will come to an end, and everything will amount to nothing, but we can still enjoy the ride while it lasts. I assign my own 'point' to my life, and it's to do something useful and worthwhile that improves the world just a little, so that somebody else will live a slightly better life because of me. Seems like a pretty decent goal to me.

Sorry for the off-topic rambling, tiem for moar poni:

This comic strip really made me laugh for some reason.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 08:20PM EDT

Did you guys hear about this?

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/28/nostalgia-overload-of-the-day-11/
"Cartoon Network is ripping a page from the Nickelodeon playbook and bringing back a bunch of old shows with a Friday night block of programming featuring such fan favorites as Johnny Bravo, Dexter’s Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, Powerpuff Girls, and others."

To bad I live in Canada. I would love to see Johnny Bravo, Dexter’s Laboratory, and Powerpuff Girls again.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 08:34PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

READ IT FAGGOTS.

Sorry to ruin your moment but…

And I don't even have to see the pixels.

Also, about the comic I posted, it's nice to know it finally sparkled (giggity) some discussion. Though I didn't even cry or feel anything much, I too thought it was no more than epic.

And for this pony paradise or anything like on the afterlife, of course this idea is no more than interresting to be explored in something like a fanfiction (if there isn't one about it already). But if there really is anything "beyond", not sure if I can afirm or think of something about. For me what comes after death is the final frontier mankind will never be able to fully explore.

And of course, those who go there, are unlikely to return and tell "what comes after".

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 09:12PM EDT

i just extracted this from the awesome ask-thecrusaders clip (you need firefox or opera to display the animated png file (or a plugin with chrome) )

@derpy episode:
a few days too early ;)

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 08:58PM EDT

badsitrep wrote:

READ IT FAGGOTS.

We've had stuff like this before. Remember the South Park thing?

Shit like this always seems to come out of My Little Brony. It's a terrible site formed only to capitalize on this fandom and its lowest common denominator.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 09:01PM EDT

There is no way Hasbro is going to give Derpy her own episode. If (and thats a pretty big IF) she gets her own episode, she is not going to be Derpy in it. Eyes perfect, voice perfect, etc.

The huge shitstorm Hasbro went through with Derpy in 'The Last Roundup' was bad enough.
--
Hasbro already received a formal complaint re: Crackle

Im not kidding.
We all know theres going to be a huge shitstorm anyway, its just a matter of time. Im hoping to get rid of 27 shares of Hasbro Inc. before it happens.
edit: Hasbro (HAS) is at $37 per share.
Gonna sell this shit in the morning.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT

IvanP91c wrote:

There is no way Hasbro is going to give Derpy her own episode. If (and thats a pretty big IF) she gets her own episode, she is not going to be Derpy in it. Eyes perfect, voice perfect, etc.

The huge shitstorm Hasbro went through with Derpy in 'The Last Roundup' was bad enough.
--

Im not kidding.
We all know theres going to be a huge shitstorm anyway, its just a matter of time. Im hoping to get rid of 27 shares of Hasbro Inc. before it happens.

Seriously? People complained about Krakl? She just looks funny and made one funny noise, it's not like Hasbro were trying to make fun of people with disabilities. I can understand people getting upset over Derpy, since her name can be interpreted as an ableist slur, but this is really taking the piss. Anyways, who could be upset over something with this much swag?

I'm also pretty sure that the Derpy episode is a fake. There isn't any information on specific season 3 episodes over at Wikipedia, so it's probably shopped. I can also tell from some of the pixels.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 09:08PM EDT

IvanP91c wrote:

--

Im not kidding.

Well, now I feel dumb.

@Afterlife discussion

Algernon Wrote:

I don’t like to think of myself and my memories gradually fading away into obscurity, but I still believe that it’ll happen, as it seems to be the most logical outcome.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure. You know about near-death experiences, right? How patients that are completely unconscious are able to describe their surroundings accurately and in great detail and all that junk? That sort of implies that one's consciousness is somewhat divorced from one's physical being. I know, I know, most folks consider that kind of thing to be pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo. But if you ask me, there's far too many cases with far too many consistencies for it all to be simply coincidence.

Of course, this sort of thing is impossible to definitively prove, but that's more due to the lack of ability to accurately measure and observe it. In other terms, we know there's something there, we just don't know how to look.

It doesn't end with a little out-of-body action, either. There's cases in which children are able to recall things they shouldn't. Details from a life that existed long before they did. Now, of course, we run into the same old lack of concrete proof yet again. But hey, a good scientist isn't supposed to off-handedly dismiss this sort of thing, especially when what little concrete data exists implies possibly world-changing things.

Also:

THAT

is fuckin' adorable.

@ Adorable pic on the previous page.

--
Lately I find myself unable to enjoy any kind of pony art. I blame it on the fact that I draw fanart. Every time I see a picture, I think "Now, why didn't I think of that! Its fucking simple!!".

I have no ideas for pictures, comics, etc. Hell I made a comic about not having ideas.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 09:37PM EDT

Good lord, I've done almost nothing but play ME3 for 2 weeks.
Anyway, fridge, in that earlier post you seem to have missed best ME poni:

"Dear Celestia Princess,
Today we have observed that organics and synthetics do not require to exist as enemies…"

@Ivan
Try taking a break from your fanart, even thinking about it, for a short bit. If you give yourself a couple of days of not specifically thinking about what to draw you might just get ideas at random, either from non-sequiteur trains of thought or from your environment. That usually does the trick for me (not drawings mind you, but creative blocks in general).

@ Presumably fake Derpy episode:
As much as I'd like Derpy to make (or rather, re-do a botched) proper appearance, this is obviously shooped, just look at dem pixels as no official information has been released on the episodes, and, as Algy has shown, the wiki page just says S3 in production where the episode list should go.

Could any of you think of a good BS story to passingly mention that would explain why a male teenager is asking for a pony toy with his Mcdonalds? While I've decided that fuckit, why not have a tiny show accurate figure thingy I'd rather avoid this:

Nukefire:

Could any of you think of a good BS story to passingly mention that would explain why a male teenager is asking for a pony toy with his Mcdonalds? While I’ve decided that fuckit, why not have a tiny show accurate figure thingy

nukefire wrote:

"Dear Celestia Princess,
Today we have observed that organics and synthetics do not require to exist as enemies…"

@Ivan
Try taking a break from your fanart, even thinking about it, for a short bit. If you give yourself a couple of days of not specifically thinking about what to draw you might just get ideas at random, either from non-sequiteur trains of thought or from your environment. That usually does the trick for me (not drawings mind you, but creative blocks in general).

As much as I'd like Derpy to make (or rather, re-do a botched) proper appearance, this is obviously shooped, just look at dem pixels as no official information has been released on the episodes, and, as Algy has shown, the wiki page just says S3 in production where the episode list should go.

Could any of you think of a good BS story to passingly mention that would explain why a male teenager is asking for a pony toy with his Mcdonalds? While I've decided that fuckit, why not have a tiny show accurate figure thingy I'd rather avoid this:

I have no Idea I was wondering the same thing.

nukefire wrote:

"Dear Celestia Princess,

@Ivan

if they ask say your getting a happy meal for a younger (insert relative here). if they ask why say you were asked to by (insert person here).

So I just found this on Tumblr.

"Hey Bronys, Tosh here just wanting to say good job for what you do."

Daniel Tosh isn't really one to express positive sentiment at, well, anything really, but inside I really hope this is legit.

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 11:52PM EDT

Who wants cupcakes?

I drew this because I was bored and I decided I wanted a new Facebook Banner. But I really don't know what I was thinking with the Cupcakes theme. Oh well, I'll post it here anyway so you guys can laugh at how terrible I am at art.

Maybe now that I got that out of the way I can enter in the Community Building Contest over at the Pony Hub?

@Algernon

I literally Laughed Out Loud at that comic too. You aren't alone. The only special talent Applebloom has is not having a special talent, hahaha

I wonder if that also puts a Droste effect on Applebloom.

I don't think I'll comment on the afterlife though, although you and Verbose have some interesting idea's it really comes down to personal opinion.

@Ivan

Did someone seriously complain about Krackle? The goofy looking dragon that appeared for 2 seconds and did nothing?

That's almost as difficult to believe as Derpy's own season three episode. Where did you find that?

And lastly I'm re-posting this because it really is incredibly cute

What is that character anyway?

IvanP91c wrote:

@ Adorable pic on the previous page.

--
Lately I find myself unable to enjoy any kind of pony art. I blame it on the fact that I draw fanart. Every time I see a picture, I think "Now, why didn't I think of that! Its fucking simple!!".

I have no ideas for pictures, comics, etc. Hell I made a comic about not having ideas.

Comic about no ideas?

So you drew Sienfield ponies?

After finishing one art project, I'm thinking of signing up for the community building contest on ThePonyHub. Just the excuse I was looking for.

However I'm getting this problem:

As you can see, the registration form expects a birthday but it never asks for one. This means I need to hack a birthday into the post data I send to TPH in order to register…but I can't do that right now.

Other people especially won't be able to register.

My question here is: Am I the only one getting this? Anyone else running into that problem?

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!