KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9926 posts from 193 users

Well, at least I tried.
Oh well, back to buisness.
Lets talk about some:

I CLAIM THIS POST INTO THE NAME OF:

…ohhhh YEEEAAHHHHH

On a side note, the Red Dawn/MLP thing is coming along great. Got most of the story worked out and ready to write. Should be up on FIMFiction within the next two months. Also, there is a prequel on the line, to explain the burst in some of the technology the story presents.

Last edited Apr 19, 2012 at 10:52PM EDT

So apparently I lost a bet with my friend. We were playing poker and we were playing for kicks. I said and I loving quote "If you win, I would give you 20 dollars, my marshmallow snack and I will do something stupid."
He won, so he said this. "You will make your little Engie character marry that orange pony. Also you must yell out in the courtyard "I love mlp"."
Needless to say I proceeded to stand up and be in the middle of the yard and yelled it out. Someone joined me by yelling Fus Ro Dah…odd lunch. Weird school day to.
Also

I learned something today. My Engie can get married but needs to explain a few stuff. This should be interesting and he wants me to make a "Wedding Album"
Now if you need me I shall now think How the hell did he have that ace. While playing TF2.

Last edited Apr 19, 2012 at 11:16PM EDT
In the two-part episode "A Canterlot Wedding," the kingdom is in a frenzy preparing for the wedding of Princess Celestia's niece, Princess Cadance, to Twilight Sparkle's brother, Shining Armor. However, Twilight Sparkle discovers a dark secret about the bride that could ruin her brother's "happily ever after."

One word: Excitement.

Edit: Speaking of GMod, can anyone link me to the website? Been trying to find it for a while, but I can't tell which is the legit one.

Last edited Apr 19, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT

Dac wrote:

No one wants to discuss the episode? Okay…

Also, brad bird needs to get his shit together and direct the incredibles 2, not mission im-poo-sible ghost protocol. Also Iron Giant 2

Missions Impossible Ghost Protocol was awesome.

Simon Pegg says so:

Dac wrote:

No one wants to discuss the episode? Okay…

I'm staying away from all spoilers. SO I KNOW NOTHING!

Saporian wrote:

Edit: Speaking of GMod, can anyone link me to the website? Been trying to find it for a while, but I can’t tell which is the legit one.

Like the program itself? Garry's Mod is on Steam.

Saporian wrote:

In the two-part episode "A Canterlot Wedding," the kingdom is in a frenzy preparing for the wedding of Princess Celestia's niece, Princess Cadance, to Twilight Sparkle's brother, Shining Armor. However, Twilight Sparkle discovers a dark secret about the bride that could ruin her brother's "happily ever after."

One word: Excitement.

Edit: Speaking of GMod, can anyone link me to the website? Been trying to find it for a while, but I can't tell which is the legit one.

Engie wrote:

My first night. I'm scared to sleep.
Also part of the bet was to do what married couples do. I'm going to hate and love this.
So here. Nothing happened hopefully.

I've seen enough John Joseco to know where this is going.

@Verbose
I do agree good sir. This blog is particularly spiffy

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 12:41AM EDT

@Burning pheonix

I know it's a good movie, but any movie keeping brad bird from making the incredibles 2: judgement day, iron giant vs megalon, or ratatouille: cook free or die hard is a steaming pile of poo-poo. Sorry Simon Pegg and Tom cruise, your movie was great but it ain't got shit on his other works.
That pic of simon Pegg is unfortunate because it almost looks like a penis hanging through his pants. Mabye I just have a dirty mind lol jk :3 <3

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 01:21AM EDT

Dac wrote:

@Burning pheonix

I know it's a good movie, but any movie keeping brad bird from making the incredibles 2: judgement day, iron giant vs megalon, or ratatouille: cook free or die hard is a steaming pile of poo-poo. Sorry Simon Pegg and Tom cruise, your movie was great but it ain't got shit on his other works.
That pic of simon Pegg is unfortunate because it almost looks like a penis hanging through his pants. Mabye I just have a dirty mind lol jk :3 <3

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 01:52AM EDT

So I just recently saw a brony Facebook friend of mine post a documentary to another (female) friend of mine's wall. This was her word-for-word response:

"So i watched it… literally ALL of it.

And i have greater respect due to the time put into the show & some creative elements behind it
It seems to be a far superior cartoon then the average trash fed to elementary society.
However, just because something takes time & ranks on some level of creativity does not mean people should obsess over it.
This show is childish & feminine, things that i do not believe men should be.
If you desire to pursue being a "brony", ok.
I just cant support you in that endeavor."

What say you gents (and lady) to the points she raises? Is our obsession unmerited? Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine? Twins, I at least want you to chime in on this.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 08:42AM EDT

@Stargazer
My usual reaction to people dissing on watching ponies:

However, I am pleased by the fact that didn't go off on a tangent on him being a faggot, or something to that affect. She's entitled to her opinions, eve though we not might agree with them. I think she's thinking a bit archæicly in terms of gender stereotypes, but as I said, they're her opinions.

@Connor
I think she's thinking something along the lines that by watching the show we are damaging our masculinity and maturity.

Personally, I don't think so. Though some people here can pretty immature, I don't think that's a fault of the ponies, and as far as I can tell my masculinity is the same as it ever was.

But as you said, those are still her opinions.

Stargazer, I will get to your question in a minute but I have a question to ask.

How many people lurk or post in this topic regularly?

The reason I ask is because some of the negakarmas are around the 13-15 negative karma mark.

Do we even have that many people posting here regularly? And this is assuming that some of us don't positive karma in order to bump up negakarma bombs.

I just think there are a few karma trolls around.

@stargazer
I kinda agree with her on the obsession thing. I hate the over obsessive bronies with a passion. Bronies that think MLP is the best thing since sliced bread, act like Lauren Faust and the gang are gods, the ones that will buy pony costumes for thousands and refuse to wear anything but ponies. It's a good cartoon, it really is, but calm down people. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's my little pony, it's just unhealthy the obsession that some people have for the show. That kind of obsession is only accepatable in sports, but even then it's a little much.
Unlike many bronies, MLP isn't my favorite cartoon, let alone my favorite show. However, the online community is what makes it special for me. That's not to say I dont like the show, I do, it's just that I don't think it's this beacon of hope for tv and animation as many bronies claim it to be. There are at least a few shows I could name that I think are better,
As for the feminine thing. A man can watch childish and feminine stuff ( romcoms, disney, anything on the CW) and still be a Mans man. Thats dumb what she said.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT

@Stargazer

I find myself feeling apathetic to your friends statement and I'm going to side with Connor here. As Connor said: she's entitled to her opinion. But that's all it is; an opinion

She's making bronyism sound more critical than it actually is as far as I am concerned but it is not the kind of thing I'd argue. If she wants to think that, that's fine.

I have that attitude because if her concerns are true (about there being any impact on masculinity), those concerns will be revealed in due time…I don't have to do anything to challenge or support her argument…if it turns out that being a brony doesn't really change a thing, she will see that. Plus I'd cut her some slack since it seems she still conforms to gender stereotypes. I don't blame people for being that way

But frankly if I'm more feminine and childish for watching this childish and effeminate kids show then so be it. I'm childish and effeminate and I'll damn well be that way if I please. I stopped giving a damn about what people think of me long ago.

@Phoneix

I was wondering that too. I wasn't there for that previous shitstorm but I did talk to opspe who was present at the time and he confirmed that there was a ton of karma being thrown around, far more than the number of active users that are available to throw karma

It appears that we have plenty of lurkers. Some of which may have (intentionally or not) made that shitstorm worse than it was going to be by exaggerating the mood of the thread

[edit]

I upvoted Connor for being the first to say "that's just an opinion" but now he is back to 0 so somebody just downvoted Connor.

Who is it? Show yourself! I want to know why you did that!

[edit]

Another thing I noticed is that there are exactly 9 people who really, really do not like Unknown Unknown and downvote every post he makes, even when he does nothing wrong!

Who are these people and why are they doing that?

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:40AM EDT

What the hay? I got nega-karma'd. WHAT DID I DO?

Please Karma trolls, is this really necessary? Srsly guise. 90% of my negative karma is from trolling and I don't appreciate that fact. If you have a personal problem with me or the nature of my posts, please contact me in some specific way so that I can rectify whatever offends you.

Thank you.

@BSoD and Dac
Very valid points gentlemen. Well done.

@Verbose and burning_phoneix
I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

@BSoD's edits
I suspect we have a conspiracy of hateful lurkers. Our poster base is in fact large enough to accommodate such karma levels, but I very much doubt anyone we know is that bent on negging everyone else. I wonder if mods can see who karmas who…

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43AM EDT

First Connor, now you? Yea we got karma trolls.

They struck a pretty opportune time on page 86. Maybe they are trying to trigger that again.

I hope those trolls realize that once we know they are about, we simply undo everything they downvote

I miss the way it was on one of the versions of ThePonyHub where you had to provide a reason for karma-ing and you had a karma allowance…

If you desire to pursue being a “brony”, ok.

Disliking something simply because it's meant for children is childish. A television show should be judged by its merits, not its demographic. And, yes, despite fighting hydras and manticores, it's still pretty feminine. Who fuckin' cares? Opinions should not be formed around baseless gender stereotypes perpetuated by society. While I appreciate the fact that she wasn't a huge bitch about it, I still find her comment distasteful. The shows someone watches and the fandoms they associate themselves with do not determine their character.

This opinion is childish and naive, things that I do not believe an individual should be.
If she desires to judge people this way, ok.
I just can't support her in that endeavor.

Dac raised some good points about obsessiveness, but this friend of StarGazer didn't specifically draw the line at obsessive bronies. It sounds to me like she disapproves of all male bronies, and this is ignorant sexual sterotyping is exactly the kind of behavior Faust herself was trying to overcome.

TL;DR version:
I can't like girl things? You are a sexist.

HOW DOES IT FEEL, HUH? HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?

Relevant bread fort is relevant:

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT

null wrote:

I miss the way it was on one of the versions of ThePonyHub where you had to provide a reason for karma-ing and you had a karma allowance…

I like the concept of karma, but I don't like the way it has been implemented here. But like Twins said, we've talked about it at length, and I don't think people who can change the system thinks it's worth the change in coding.

If people ignore karma, then there's no use for the system. Heck, if people should ignore karma, then you imply that there is no need for the system. Therefore, karma does mean something.

Given that it does mean something, then the fact that the system is being abused (i.e., in circlejerks and in karma bombing,) the system should change. I can't see who's dealing out the karma, but my guess is that it is a forum lurker or two with multiple accounts. I doubt it's people ifrom outside of this thread. Many users object to users just posting here, but I don't think they're that petty. If that was the case, then this would have been a consistent thing. I doubt it's anyone posting in the thread here. No one is angry enough AND is that petty (angry or petty, yes.)

But there's nothing that can really be done. Just vote stuff back up to neutral. I'd let the person or people know what I'd really think, but I'd hate to point out their evident shortcomings that extends far beyond this board.

They probably already know about it and are told by the people around them on a regular basis what's wrong with them.

As for StarGazer's topic:

• "Is our obsession unmerited?"
    • I don't know who should say what any person should obsess over. I'd say that obsession is a problem when it gets in the way of your life in a way that you are the people who care about you aren't comfortable with. Tapping into dac's point a bit, whether it's sports, games, or television shows seems irrelevant to me personally as long as you're still a healthy and functioning person who is happy with him or herself.
    • I'll also dispute dac's point as well. There are some sports fans who love teams that suck. Objectively, they perform poorly against their competition. Just because FiM isn't the best show or even cartoon ever in my mind doesn't mean I or others shouldn't love it for what it is. The combination and intersection of all of the things that the show is different from every other show, just like most shows are unique from others. It doesn't have to be objectively good to merit obsession. I think the potential effects of the obsession is the problem, but not the object of it.
  • "Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine?"
    • I know she's missing the point of bronyism. She's not even concerned with any brony philosophy whether it be community-manufactured (i.e. love and tolerate, which doesn't come from the show,) incorporating or refreshing yourself on the morals (i.e., something I do,) just being a little nicer, or simply being a part of the community.
    • Personally, I recognize the system of gender norms. And even though many of you say you don't care about norms and stereotypes, I would say that this is dangerously idealistic. If you don't believe in a system, directly opposing it is generally a bad idea, especially when you're in the system. It's simply going to expose you to the negative perceptions of those who do believe in it. However, if you live and work in circles of people that don't care, then it becomes less of a problem. It also reduces your access to the rest of the world, but many people seem to be more misanthropic than I am (i.e., I might call it a "nuanced misanthropy,") so you may not feel like you're missing out.
    • In any case, I'd say that men should be aware of what it is. Most people won't care about the quality of My Little Pony as long as it's My Little Pony. Some people will see it for what it is. It bothers some people around me who know I watch the show, but they're generally cool with it.

At the end of your day, taking into consideration the pros and cons of either side or stances in the middle, you have to do what you enjoy the most and do what's best for you.

@verbose
My point wasn't that people shouldn't obsess over it because it's not good enough, my point was that's it's fine to like something a lot, just be realistic about it and don't let it consume your life. I just find it annoying when bronies obsess over mlp and claim its the only good thing in entertainment, I just find that really hard to believe.

These bread pictures are maybe the strangest I've seen from the fandom. I mean, I love baguettes as much as the next guy, but come on.

Is that a background pony? Because otherwise, I don't get it.

@obsession topic

I believe that, yes, there definitely are people who take this fandom and the show way too seriously. My opinion is similar to that of Verbs and Dac. It's considered obsessive if it interferes with your life to the point that you are no longer or less recognizable to those around you.

The question is, how do you know if you've gone too far? Can pony artists and fic-writers be considered obsessive for drawing and writing exclusively about ponies (like most do). Personally, I would say no, because people naturally write or draw about what interests them the most. What I do consider obsessive

@Missing point of bronyism, femininity etc.

Personally, I think the real point of the brony community is the community itself. Belonging to a nice, friendly group of people has its appeal to those with problems of their own. Yes, the show is good, but I don't think it was originally that great in order to warrant the fandom that it has in such a short period of time.

As for gender norms, I think people should be allowed to do what they want. The brony culture is unique in that this is one of the first times there has been a massive group of guys enjoying something feminine, which is why it especially receives hate. Before, it was usually groups of women doing something considered masculine (suffrage movement, women working had its problems way back when, etc). Any case of the other way around was kept to itself and never known to the public, another point that makes the brony community different. Another point: why is it that male franchises like GI Joe and Transformers get big-budget movie adaptations while we will never see one for something like Barbie?

Though I also believe that gender norms are unavoidable, and do have a place in society. Let's say that by some miracle you get married and have a son. Would it be wrong to buy your son construction playsets and doctor play kits? Should you buy him a sewing kit and nurse playkit as well?

I'm going to stop here, since I have other things and usually I have trouble expressing my opinion accurately, but some of you might be interested in this article. It goes more into detail about the point I just made.

This is probably the first TL;DR I've made in, like, weeks. Chances are it doesn't make any sense though.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 02:56PM EDT

Verbose might call me a bitch for this since he lives in georgia, but godamn is it hot and humid today. I got a mean case of swamp ass under these wranglers and my crotch has got the funk of forty thousand years. Son of a bitch, why am I putting up fences today.
Anyways, while I'm dying, have some applejack.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 05:24PM EDT

I got this tread back on track, unfortunately I feel like I have to derail it again for a moment because of the abuse of karma.

I really wish I could see who is down voting everything here. And are you guys done karma bombing Unknown yet? because 5-7 of you seem to like karma bombing him into oblivion, he wants to move on and you guys just keep hitting that thumbs down button. I am not friends with him but I can at least admire his will to move on and used this tread for it's intentional purpose.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT

null wrote:

So I just recently saw a brony Facebook friend of mine post a documentary to another (female) friend of mine's wall. This was her word-for-word response:

"So i watched it… literally ALL of it.

And i have greater respect due to the time put into the show & some creative elements behind it
It seems to be a far superior cartoon then the average trash fed to elementary society.
However, just because something takes time & ranks on some level of creativity does not mean people should obsess over it.
If you desire to pursue being a "brony", ok.

What say you gents (and lady) to the points she raises? Is our obsession unmerited? Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine? Twins, I at least want you to chime in on this.

You're lucky I'm nice.

Anyways, I agree with her first sentence. That's exactly how I would rank MLP. It's not the best show ever, at least to me, and it does have its share of problems (most notably the horribly rushed endings), but it's definitely one of the best shows out there today.

But then she starts making no sense and being extremely stereotypical. Men can't be childish and feminine? Wut? Can a guy go around and say "wtf women in college they should be in the kitchen taking care of their babies and making sammiches?" That's pretty much what she is saying (except from the opposite angle), and just because she is female doesn't mean she can get away with it. Sexism at its finest.

I shall not stand to see such discrimination going on in modern society.

Tell her to stop living in the 20th century. If she likes manly men, fine, but don't look down upon bronies because they are not her ideal type.

If I sounded a bit harsh there, sorry. I just hate women who think it's okay to discriminate against men, while all they do is bitch and moan when a guy does it to them.

Besides her sexism, I mostly agree with her other points. The fandom is arguably getting a bit over the top, although I really don't see a problem with that, so long as we stick to our motto of "friendship and tolerance." And although it doesn't mean people should obsess over it, it does mean people can obsess over it.

Perhaps it's just not a show for her, and I'm glad she actually spent the time to watch the entire documentary and have a basis for her opinion.

@Muffinator's TL;DR:
Gender norms are unavoidable, but that doesn't mean we can condone them. And if I had a son, I'd let him pick his toys, instead of establishing "YOU MUST PLAY WITH MASCULINE TOYS." Granted, more likely than not, he'd go for the doctor and construction stuff out of natural instinct, but he should still have a choice.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 06:55PM EDT

"Tell her to stop living in the 20th century. If she likes manly men, fine, but don’t look down upon bronies because they are not her ideal type."
>implying bronies can't be manly men.
ಠ_ಠ

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

I got this tread back on track, unfortunately I feel like I have to derail it again for a moment because of the abuse of karma.

I really wish I could see who is down voting everything here. And are you guys done karma bombing Unknown yet? because 5-7 of you seem to like karma bombing him into oblivion, he wants to move on and you guys just keep hitting that thumbs down button. I am not friends with him but I can at least admire his will to move on and used this tread for it's intentional purpose.

Don't look at me, check my karma I rarely down vote people and tend not to because I am too stubborn or lazy or just plainly refuse to down vote another user.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!