Forums / Discussion / General

168,561 total conversations in 5,399 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured Locked Locked
KYM Pony General V: We Just Don't Know What Went Wrong

Last posted Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2012 at 11:27PM EST
9954 posts from 194 users

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

I think I know what we need on this tread.




Oh my! A page GET.

More Flutters?

That is, if you don’t mind…

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 06:33AM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 06:18AM EDT
Quote

This will be the picture of the day to you all!:

Also have some cute to go on with it!!

Apr 20, 2012 at 06:43AM EDT
Quote

So I just recently saw a brony Facebook friend of mine post a documentary to another (female) friend of mine’s wall. This was her word-for-word response:


“So i watched it… literally ALL of it.

And i have greater respect due to the time put into the show & some creative elements behind it
It seems to be a far superior cartoon then the average trash fed to elementary society.
However, just because something takes time & ranks on some level of creativity does not mean people should obsess over it.
This show is childish & feminine, things that i do not believe men should be.
If you desire to pursue being a “brony”, ok.
I just cant support you in that endeavor."


What say you gents (and lady) to the points she raises? Is our obsession unmerited? Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine? Twins, I at least want you to chime in on this.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 08:42AM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 08:42AM EDT
Quote

I would give my opinion but seeing as how I must go.

Have this instead.
Now I’m off to do whatever this Engie has to do, sadly

Apr 20, 2012 at 08:49AM EDT
Quote

@Stargazer
My usual reaction to people dissing on watching ponies:

However, I am pleased by the fact that didn’t go off on a tangent on him being a faggot, or something to that affect. She’s entitled to her opinions, eve though we not might agree with them. I think she’s thinking a bit archæicly in terms of gender stereotypes, but as I said, they’re her opinions.

Apr 20, 2012 at 08:54AM EDT
Quote

@Connor
I think she’s thinking something along the lines that by watching the show we are damaging our masculinity and maturity.

Personally, I don’t think so. Though some people here can pretty immature, I don’t think that’s a fault of the ponies, and as far as I can tell my masculinity is the same as it ever was.

But as you said, those are still her opinions.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:20AM EDT
Quote

I want in on your topic, StarGazer. But I have stuff to tend to right now.

So have this related filly Twilight with bread.

#WhatDoYouMeanIt’sNotRelated

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:34AM EDT
Quote

Stargazer, I will get to your question in a minute but I have a question to ask.

How many people lurk or post in this topic regularly?

The reason I ask is because some of the negakarmas are around the 13-15 negative karma mark.

Do we even have that many people posting here regularly? And this is assuming that some of us don’t positive karma in order to bump up negakarma bombs.

I just think there are a few karma trolls around.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:13AM EDT
Quote

@stargazer
I kinda agree with her on the obsession thing. I hate the over obsessive bronies with a passion. Bronies that think MLP is the best thing since sliced bread, act like Lauren Faust and the gang are gods, the ones that will buy pony costumes for thousands and refuse to wear anything but ponies. It’s a good cartoon, it really is, but calm down people. It has nothing to do with the fact that it’s my little pony, it’s just unhealthy the obsession that some people have for the show. That kind of obsession is only accepatable in sports, but even then it’s a little much.
Unlike many bronies, MLP isn’t my favorite cartoon, let alone my favorite show. However, the online community is what makes it special for me. That’s not to say I dont like the show, I do, it’s just that I don’t think it’s this beacon of hope for tv and animation as many bronies claim it to be. There are at least a few shows I could name that I think are better,
As for the feminine thing. A man can watch childish and feminine stuff ( romcoms, disney, anything on the CW) and still be a Mans man. Thats dumb what she said.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:17AM EDT
Quote

@Stargazer

I find myself feeling apathetic to your friends statement and I’m going to side with Connor here. As Connor said: she’s entitled to her opinion. But that’s all it is; an opinion

She’s making bronyism sound more critical than it actually is as far as I am concerned but it is not the kind of thing I’d argue. If she wants to think that, that’s fine.

I have that attitude because if her concerns are true (about there being any impact on masculinity), those concerns will be revealed in due time…I don’t have to do anything to challenge or support her argument…if it turns out that being a brony doesn’t really change a thing, she will see that. Plus I’d cut her some slack since it seems she still conforms to gender stereotypes. I don’t blame people for being that way

But frankly if I’m more feminine and childish for watching this childish and effeminate kids show then so be it. I’m childish and effeminate and I’ll damn well be that way if I please. I stopped giving a damn about what people think of me long ago.


@Phoneix

I was wondering that too. I wasn’t there for that previous shitstorm but I did talk to opspe who was present at the time and he confirmed that there was a ton of karma being thrown around, far more than the number of active users that are available to throw karma

It appears that we have plenty of lurkers. Some of which may have (intentionally or not) made that shitstorm worse than it was going to be by exaggerating the mood of the thread

[edit]

I upvoted Connor for being the first to say “that’s just an opinion” but now he is back to 0 so somebody just downvoted Connor.

Who is it? Show yourself! I want to know why you did that!

[edit]

Another thing I noticed is that there are exactly 9 people who really, really do not like Unknown Unknown and downvote every post he makes, even when he does nothing wrong!

Who are these people and why are they doing that?

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:40AM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:26AM EDT
Quote

What the hay? I got nega-karma’d. WHAT DID I DO?


Please Karma trolls, is this really necessary? Srsly guise. 90% of my negative karma is from trolling and I don’t appreciate that fact. If you have a personal problem with me or the nature of my posts, please contact me in some specific way so that I can rectify whatever offends you.

Thank you.


@BSoD and Dac
Very valid points gentlemen. Well done.


@Verbose and burning_phoneix
I look forward to seeing what you have to say.


@BSoD’s edits
I suspect we have a conspiracy of hateful lurkers. Our poster base is in fact large enough to accommodate such karma levels, but I very much doubt anyone we know is that bent on negging everyone else. I wonder if mods can see who karmas who…

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43AM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 11:39AM EDT
Quote

First Connor, now you? Yea we got karma trolls.

They struck a pretty opportune time on page 86. Maybe they are trying to trigger that again.

I hope those trolls realize that once we know they are about, we simply undo everything they downvote

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:42AM EDT
Quote

I miss the way it was on one of the versions of ThePonyHub where you had to provide a reason for karma-ing and you had a karma allowance…

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47AM EDT
Quote
This show is childish & feminine, things that i do not believe men should be.
If you desire to pursue being a “brony”, ok.
I just cant support you in that endeavor."

Disliking something simply because it’s meant for children is childish. A television show should be judged by its merits, not its demographic. And, yes, despite fighting hydras and manticores, it’s still pretty feminine. Who fuckin’ cares? Opinions should not be formed around baseless gender stereotypes perpetuated by society. While I appreciate the fact that she wasn’t a huge bitch about it, I still find her comment distasteful. The shows someone watches and the fandoms they associate themselves with do not determine their character.

This opinion is childish and naive, things that I do not believe an individual should be.
If she desires to judge people this way, ok.
I just can’t support her in that endeavor.

Dac raised some good points about obsessiveness, but this friend of StarGazer didn’t specifically draw the line at obsessive bronies. It sounds to me like she disapproves of all male bronies, and this is ignorant sexual sterotyping is exactly the kind of behavior Faust herself was trying to overcome.

TL;DR version:
I can’t like girl things? You are a sexist.




HOW DOES IT FEEL, HUH? HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?

Relevant bread fort is relevant:

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 01:42PM EDT
Quote

>Goes to dining hall
>asked for name on the food order
>puts down “Ike Lop”

No regrets.

Apr 20, 2012 at 01:51PM EDT
Quote

aerolyt wrote:

I miss the way it was on one of the versions of ThePonyHub where you had to provide a reason for karma-ing and you had a karma allowance…

I like the concept of karma, but I don’t like the way it has been implemented here. But like Twins said, we’ve talked about it at length, and I don’t think people who can change the system thinks it’s worth the change in coding.

If people ignore karma, then there’s no use for the system. Heck, if people should ignore karma, then you imply that there is no need for the system. Therefore, karma does mean something.

Given that it does mean something, then the fact that the system is being abused (i.e., in circlejerks and in karma bombing,) the system should change. I can’t see who’s dealing out the karma, but my guess is that it is a forum lurker or two with multiple accounts. I doubt it’s people ifrom outside of this thread. Many users object to users just posting here, but I don’t think they’re that petty. If that was the case, then this would have been a consistent thing. I doubt it’s anyone posting in the thread here. No one is angry enough AND is that petty (angry or petty, yes.)
 
 
But there’s nothing that can really be done. Just vote stuff back up to neutral. I’d let the person or people know what I’d really think, but I’d hate to point out their evident shortcomings that extends far beyond this board.

They probably already know about it and are told by the people around them on a regular basis what’s wrong with them.


As for StarGazer’s topic:

  • “Is our obsession unmerited?”
    • I don’t know who should say what any person should obsess over. I’d say that obsession is a problem when it gets in the way of your life in a way that you are the people who care about you aren’t comfortable with. Tapping into dac’s point a bit, whether it’s sports, games, or television shows seems irrelevant to me personally as long as you’re still a healthy and functioning person who is happy with him or herself.
    • I’ll also dispute dac’s point as well. There are some sports fans who love teams that suck. Objectively, they perform poorly against their competition. Just because FiM isn’t the best show or even cartoon ever in my mind doesn’t mean I or others shouldn’t love it for what it is. The combination and intersection of all of the things that the show is different from every other show, just like most shows are unique from others. It doesn’t have to be objectively good to merit obsession. I think the potential effects of the obsession is the problem, but not the object of it.
  • “Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine?”
    • I know she’s missing the point of bronyism. She’s not even concerned with any brony philosophy whether it be community-manufactured (i.e. love and tolerate, which doesn’t come from the show,) incorporating or refreshing yourself on the morals (i.e., something I do,) just being a little nicer, or simply being a part of the community.
    • Personally, I recognize the system of gender norms. And even though many of you say you don’t care about norms and stereotypes, I would say that this is dangerously idealistic. If you don’t believe in a system, directly opposing it is generally a bad idea, especially when you’re in the system. It’s simply going to expose you to the negative perceptions of those who do believe in it. However, if you live and work in circles of people that don’t care, then it becomes less of a problem. It also reduces your access to the rest of the world, but many people seem to be more misanthropic than I am (i.e., I might call it a “nuanced misanthropy,”) so you may not feel like you’re missing out.
    • In any case, I’d say that men should be aware of what it is. Most people won’t care about the quality of My Little Pony as long as it’s My Little Pony. Some people will see it for what it is. It bothers some people around me who know I watch the show, but they’re generally cool with it.

At the end of your day, taking into consideration the pros and cons of either side or stances in the middle, you have to do what you enjoy the most and do what’s best for you.

Apr 20, 2012 at 02:23PM EDT
Quote

@verbose
My point wasn’t that people shouldn’t obsess over it because it’s not good enough, my point was that’s it’s fine to like something a lot, just be realistic about it and don’t let it consume your life. I just find it annoying when bronies obsess over mlp and claim its the only good thing in entertainment, I just find that really hard to believe.

Apr 20, 2012 at 02:43PM EDT
Quote

These bread pictures are maybe the strangest I’ve seen from the fandom. I mean, I love baguettes as much as the next guy, but come on.


Is that a background pony? Because otherwise, I don’t get it.


@obsession topic

I believe that, yes, there definitely are people who take this fandom and the show way too seriously. My opinion is similar to that of Verbs and Dac. It’s considered obsessive if it interferes with your life to the point that you are no longer or less recognizable to those around you.

The question is, how do you know if you’ve gone too far? Can pony artists and fic-writers be considered obsessive for drawing and writing exclusively about ponies (like most do). Personally, I would say no, because people naturally write or draw about what interests them the most. What I do consider obsessive

@Missing point of bronyism, femininity etc.

Personally, I think the real point of the brony community is the community itself. Belonging to a nice, friendly group of people has its appeal to those with problems of their own. Yes, the show is good, but I don’t think it was originally that great in order to warrant the fandom that it has in such a short period of time.

As for gender norms, I think people should be allowed to do what they want. The brony culture is unique in that this is one of the first times there has been a massive group of guys enjoying something feminine, which is why it especially receives hate. Before, it was usually groups of women doing something considered masculine (suffrage movement, women working had its problems way back when, etc). Any case of the other way around was kept to itself and never known to the public, another point that makes the brony community different. Another point: why is it that male franchises like GI Joe and Transformers get big-budget movie adaptations while we will never see one for something like Barbie?

Though I also believe that gender norms are unavoidable, and do have a place in society. Let’s say that by some miracle you get married and have a son. Would it be wrong to buy your son construction playsets and doctor play kits? Should you buy him a sewing kit and nurse playkit as well?

I’m going to stop here, since I have other things and usually I have trouble expressing my opinion accurately, but some of you might be interested in this article. It goes more into detail about the point I just made.


This is probably the first TL;DR I’ve made in, like, weeks. Chances are it doesn’t make any sense though.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 02:56PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 02:49PM EDT
Quote

What would do, if you were asked your dreams up for freedom? What would do, if asked to make the ultimate sacrifice?

Apr 20, 2012 at 03:10PM EDT
Quote

Verbose might call me a bitch for this since he lives in georgia, but godamn is it hot and humid today. I got a mean case of swamp ass under these wranglers and my crotch has got the funk of forty thousand years. Son of a bitch, why am I putting up fences today.
Anyways, while I’m dying, have some applejack.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 05:24PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 05:22PM EDT
Quote


EVERYBODY BACK AWAY FROM HER!

SHE’S MINE! STAY AWAY FROM MY PRINCESS!

Apr 20, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT
Quote

>yfw Rolling Stone article on My Little Pony.

link

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 05:32PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 05:31PM EDT
Quote

I got this tread back on track, unfortunately I feel like I have to derail it again for a moment because of the abuse of karma.

I really wish I could see who is down voting everything here. And are you guys done karma bombing Unknown yet? because 5-7 of you seem to like karma bombing him into oblivion, he wants to move on and you guys just keep hitting that thumbs down button. I am not friends with him but I can at least admire his will to move on and used this tread for it’s intentional purpose.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT
Quote

aerolyt wrote:

So I just recently saw a brony Facebook friend of mine post a documentary to another (female) friend of mine’s wall. This was her word-for-word response:


“So i watched it… literally ALL of it.

And i have greater respect due to the time put into the show & some creative elements behind it
It seems to be a far superior cartoon then the average trash fed to elementary society.
However, just because something takes time & ranks on some level of creativity does not mean people should obsess over it.
This show is childish & feminine, things that i do not believe men should be.
If you desire to pursue being a “brony”, ok.
I just cant support you in that endeavor."


What say you gents (and lady) to the points she raises? Is our obsession unmerited? Is she just missing the point of bronyism, or should men really abstain from anything childish and feminine? Twins, I at least want you to chime in on this.

You’re lucky I’m nice.

Anyways, I agree with her first sentence. That’s exactly how I would rank MLP. It’s not the best show ever, at least to me, and it does have its share of problems (most notably the horribly rushed endings), but it’s definitely one of the best shows out there today.

But then she starts making no sense and being extremely stereotypical. Men can’t be childish and feminine? Wut? Can a guy go around and say “wtf women in college they should be in the kitchen taking care of their babies and making sammiches?” That’s pretty much what she is saying (except from the opposite angle), and just because she is female doesn’t mean she can get away with it. Sexism at its finest.

I shall not stand to see such discrimination going on in modern society.

Tell her to stop living in the 20th century. If she likes manly men, fine, but don’t look down upon bronies because they are not her ideal type.


If I sounded a bit harsh there, sorry. I just hate women who think it’s okay to discriminate against men, while all they do is bitch and moan when a guy does it to them.

Besides her sexism, I mostly agree with her other points. The fandom is arguably getting a bit over the top, although I really don’t see a problem with that, so long as we stick to our motto of “friendship and tolerance.” And although it doesn’t mean people should obsess over it, it does mean people can obsess over it.

Perhaps it’s just not a show for her, and I’m glad she actually spent the time to watch the entire documentary and have a basis for her opinion.

@Muffinator’s TL;DR:
Gender norms are unavoidable, but that doesn’t mean we can condone them. And if I had a son, I’d let him pick his toys, instead of establishing “YOU MUST PLAY WITH MASCULINE TOYS.” Granted, more likely than not, he’d go for the doctor and construction stuff out of natural instinct, but he should still have a choice.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 06:55PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 06:28PM EDT
Quote

“Tell her to stop living in the 20th century. If she likes manly men, fine, but don’t look down upon bronies because they are not her ideal type.”
>implying bronies can’t be manly men.
ಠ_ಠ

Apr 20, 2012 at 06:47PM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

I got this tread back on track, unfortunately I feel like I have to derail it again for a moment because of the abuse of karma.

I really wish I could see who is down voting everything here. And are you guys done karma bombing Unknown yet? because 5-7 of you seem to like karma bombing him into oblivion, he wants to move on and you guys just keep hitting that thumbs down button. I am not friends with him but I can at least admire his will to move on and used this tread for it’s intentional purpose.

Don’t look at me, check my karma I rarely down vote people and tend not to because I am too stubborn or lazy or just plainly refuse to down vote another user.

Apr 20, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT
Quote


Flutterlicious is best Ponylicious.

Apr 20, 2012 at 07:12PM EDT
Quote

>MFW a troll bashes me about being a brony

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 07:46PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 07:45PM EDT
Quote

>Sister says she found a dubstep song she actually likes
>OMG this is awesome
>Goes on to say it’s from Alex S
>Holy shit, this is like, double awesomeness
>Specifies that it’s the remix of that CMC song
>Mfw:

My sister is now officially awesome. I don’t actually like that song very much, but the fact that she likes a brony song is good enough for me. Totally made my day.

Here’s the song, in case anyone’s interested:

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 07:57PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT
Quote

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

Apr 20, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

What happened yesterday was truly disappointing. I wasn’t part of it, but I’m sorry that things ended the way they did. You were doing what you thought was right, and some people on here took it the wrong way.

I can understand your situation right now. If you feel you have to leave, we won’t stop you. Just know that we will be waiting here for your return with open arms. In a manner of speaking.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 09:04PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

I think you need to see your previous posts, the down votes are mostly cleared. You should honestly expect a bit more out of this tread instead of negativity. I do admit the JJ incident really did not help a thing, I am still ticked off about the 5 people who karma bombed Unknown but it will be fixed, hopefully (ಠ_ಠ). Anyways as Muffinator said you can take as much time as you want off the tread, I will be ready with to welcome you back.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 09:09PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 09:06PM EDT
Quote

Faust loved baguettes before it was cool.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT
Quote

Anyone else think this comic strip can be useful for future means?:

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:13PM EDT
Quote

It’s not there yet, but this is just a warning to anyone:

If you’re going to respond to Citation regarding yesterday, then please watch your tone. I don’t intend on letting the thread get into these tiffs. I’ll edit/delete the posts at first, and then I’ll lock the thread if people aren’t being respectful of each other. If it’s just one or two users, then I’ll edit their posts with a warning to the user, and then I’ll let Random know, and see if you merit a ban.

Just keep it in mind.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:15PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

Being true friends is being able to see through each other’s lesser traits and characteristics as well.

No friend is perfect, but being able to overcome that hurdle only makes the friendship stronger.


As for the karma in the previous pages. Everyone was being a dick, and I better hope everyone feels sorry for it. Such a massive amount of negkarma wasn’t needed.

But then again, I saw people get -6 or +6 in less than 3 minutes after posting. Unless we have that many users smashing f5, it’s just one user with multiple accounts signed in. Therefore it’s possible that less people are to blame than we might think. Perhaps even trolls.

But most damage has been fixed. When people finally sobered up, the massive negvotes were upvoted again. And if you look how some of them are back to 0 or even positive, we can confirm people finally woke up and realized how everyone was acting dickish.

I activated the mod card and I asked Verbose to edit/delete posts if such a shitstorm happens again, so we can only hope it won’t happen again. This week was a bad week for this thread.


Edit: Thank you Verbose.

Side note:

Mod Card is still active. If one of you keeps being a dick even with Verbose trying to help us, you’ll be given a warning. Consequenses after that are yours.

Just saying that I support Verbose’s post.


Perhaps we have karma trolls, but do realize they feed of your reactions. Just upvote if you see an unneeded downvote and ignore it. Responding only makes them win.

P.S. I notice they’re getting smarter, only posts with upvotes receive downvotes now. Be aware of this.


Hugs time!

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 09:28PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Quote

I’m staying out of this again. I’m already on bad terms with Cite, I don’t need to fuck it up anymore.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Quote

@Cite
I’ll be sad to see you go. Sorry I downvoted you a few times; mob mentality gets all of us.
We’ll try to be better.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:28PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

For the record, everybody got negraped.

It’s most likely karmabombers, and not any of the regulars, because I (and most likely several other people) have been upvoting all the posts that got stormed. So, there’s more downvotes than should fit the regulars, considering many of the usual posters don’t throw karma around often.

It’s almost against the math to have that many downvotes, unless lurkers or trolls are coming into play. So, more likely than not, we shouldn’t be the source of the anger, although most of us did act like dicks, which is disappointing.

Hell, I can tell it’s karma-bombers, because I got one upvote on my last post. I refreshed, and it was back to zero.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:33PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

Listen, I am truly sorry for lashing out at you. I forget that I can’t talk to everybody the same way I would my friends. I didnt think I was coming off as rude as I was. I guess I’m desensitized to it. I don’t know, I’m kind of a brash Guy in real life. I cuss and am plain rude to my friends just because that’s how we talk I guess. I call them out is all just like I did you. I’m sorry that I did that. I can’t say that I don’t agree( to a point) with what I said yesterday, but I can say that I was out of line and for that I appologize.
But I don’t get it, I never say anything in regards to me being better than anyone else. Why am I in no position to say that? Whatever though, that’s not the point. I’m sorry and please don’t take everything I said to heart. I was just being a dick for dicks sake. If I had honestly known that I would have hurt you that bad, I wouldnt have done it. It’s just that you are kinda snarky, I thought that if I was snarky back, you wouldn’t get that hurt. Like I said, sorry.

Anyways, guys! Another clip from tommorows episode! Check it out!

Video on Equestria daily!
Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT
Quote

Cite…

Bro…

Dawg. We all love you, and we’re all your friends. Friends fight, argue, insult each other, and break apart. That’s part of what being a friend is all about: being close enough to get through the tough shit.

So, if you feel you need to take a break from the thread, go ahead. If that’s what you want to do, I’m sure none of us will stop you.

But, remember S1E1/2’s message.

Apr 20, 2012 at 09:40PM EDT
Quote

First of all, I jut gained 10 negative karma in a few hours. That’s frigging absurd. So now I’m pissed off.


Then Citation breaks down, and that honestly got to me and I feel like crying myself. We’re all friends here and the fact that we can actually hurt one of our own doesn’t really give me much hope to how real it all is.


Third I will not be able to watch the new episode for several days because everything in my life is just lining up in the wrong ways, so now I’m disappointed. Especially since that means for the sake of spoilers I won’t be able to come on here either.


So yeah, I’m pretty upset myself right now. This sucks.


Anyways, Cite I personally think you’re great I don’t want to hear anything other.

You karma trolls are all cowardly fools who don’t deserve to enjoy any part of the internet.


Those are my two cents, quite literally. I’m sick of how quickly everything can descend into s***storms around here. We’re better than that guys.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded wrote:

Well, you did it, thread. You finally broke me.
Yesterday, after that fiasco, do you want to know what I did? I cried. I honestly did. Do you know why? I had considered all of you to be my friends. And I thought we were all above ganging up on a user (in this case, Jolly Jew). So whenever I try to stand up for him, I’m downvoted and attacked for it? Why? Because I have a different opinion than you? That doesn’t make any sense, and you all know it.
So when something like that happens, and the only people who bother to help me are Bob and Algie, try to think of how that felt for me. Hint: it wasn’t fun.
Things like that are exactly why I am. As in, exactly why I’m such an asshole. I like to try and help people who need it, and when I do, aboosh, things like this happen. Frankly, I considered most of you to better than that, but I guess I was mistaken.
And then there’s the thing with Unknown. He’s dropped the Derpy thing, and you people are still downvoting him and ignoring him? What the Hell? Can we not get past mistakes someone might have made? Is that so hard?
And Dac, like Bob said (and without saying something too hurtful), you’re in no position to call anyone elitist.
Either way, I’m probably going to take a break from the thread as a whole for awhile. At least a couple weeks, maybe a month, I dunno.
Please note that none of the above was meant to be taken as an angry post. That was me thoughtfully and politely trying to point out what happened and why I think it’s unfair. Take it as you will, and I’m expecting downvotes.
Thank you.

LONG POST AHEAD

I felt about the same way. I was one of those guys defending Jolly Jew and also upvoting Cite. Now my Karma is SHIT (about negative 28). Karmabombing got to us all. I left the forum for a day to let my emotions drain out and think of a way to prevent future shitstorms. That’s why I made that comment earlier after my return: as a hopeful and final solution to the problem.

Then I got Karma-bombed AGAIN

But I saw some of you guys stand up for me. I thank you that did. I’m sorry for any butthurt and rage I caused when I brought up the issue for the first time, and any I caused trying to stand up for Jolly Jew. I will try not to bother you guys about it again. But I will not sit around and let anyone be bullied like that again. Its just not right.
I hope you guys can see this. I am sorry Cite that you must leave. I supported you the whole time, and I’m sorry for all the downkarma you got.

  • * *
    Now, off that subject, I have two more things to say/ask:
    - THE ROYAL WEDDING’S TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- And…

I have encountered my first and very much major issue in the Red Dawn/MLP crossover:
TIME
Now trying to make a reasonable time gap between the alternate twist (in this one, Luna rejecting Celestia’s offer in the begining of the series to rule by her side and splitting the citizens of Equestria into two sides), and the start of the story (several years later to have the CMC and Mane 6 still be young but more experienced so that they can be a more formiddable force against the invaders), and reasonable ages (using a x/80 = y/50 proportion to determine ages).

So that brings me to my question: I can’t remember if there is any canon aging line I can go by (per say, the age of when one becomes elderly), and also any suggestions to make the time gap reasonable yet short enough so the CMC and Mane 6 don’t age too much.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:07PM EDT
Quote

Hmm… Coming back to six negkarma? Am suspicious. I don’t know that my newfag opinion will be of any value, especially considering I don’t have one since I’ve known you lot for all of five or six days. I don’t often foray into the depths of the tubes. So let’s not freak out over a little karma bombing, even though I know the people responsible are reading my humble thoughts and that 15% of my karma is now neg. And in conclusion, @Cite: I think you should stay.

Also, I’m going to miss tomorrow’s episodes. Gah. Stop reminding me. Actually, do keep reminding me, if it’ll keep you all off the negkarma thing.

Get first post in formal attire.

Also, this is a personal appeal for a good, pony-related page 89 get.

Last edited Apr 20, 2012 at 10:43PM EDT
Apr 20, 2012 at 10:39PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!