Forums / Fun! / Memeory Lane

63,534 total conversations in 189 threads

Locked Locked
[Moving Images] Avatar: TLA / Legend of Korra General

Last posted May 11, 2015 at 02:43PM EDT. Added Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
2194 posts from 104 users

I really, really, really loved it. Almost as much as I did the original series. It really expanded upon what I thought was underplayed by the original series such as sub-powers and hatred towards benders. I thought it was great that they had metal bending be a major part instead of just being forgotten.

It was pretty depressing when you found out that all of the major group had passed away bar Katara, so hopefully they'll introduce some new characters to assist Korra. I liked her as a character but it would be neat if they introduced some companions for her. Lots of the light-hearted fun of the original series was the interaction between the characters so it's a little disappointing that this time they only have Korra and her pet with most of her interactions being between her and unfriendly strangers.

The references to the past were awesome as well. The statues of Aang and Toph as well as that reference to Zuko's quest to find his mother. Speaking of Zuko, it'll be interesting to learn about he and Aang did together aside from build republic city. As well as who is the new firelord.

All in all, very entertaining and I'm looking forward to future episodes with high anticipation.

Last edited Mar 20, 2012 at 11:38PM EDT

Omomon wrote:

Sokka is dead?

Yah, and they only spent three words telling us. That was depressing.

Also, Toph's daughter scares me – though I love what they've done with metalbending.

I honestly need to re-watch the entire first series and I'd suggest everyone who hasn't seen it already to watch the first series as soon as possible to understand the context of Legend of Korra.

---

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

---

I really loved the first episode (the leaked one of course). Meeting the descendants of Aang/Katara and Toph (no one knows who did it with Toph; not yet anyway) is really one of the main things that made the episode good. So far we know Aang and Katara had three children, Tenzin (the youngest and a airbender), Bumi (named after Aang's earthbending friend), and Kya (I'm guessing Katara named her daughter after her own mother who died).

In the first series, Toph developed metalbending, a subset of earthbending. In this series it seems Toph's daughter, Lin Beifong, picked that up from her and really took that idea of metalbending and advanced it by the second series. I really love how the creators didn't just forget about Toph's discovery of metalbending and actually went further with that idea.

I can't just leave out the setting of the whole series either. This series takes place a century or so after the first series (the time era is based off of the 1920's; both American and Chinese cultures). When all of the nations united, Aang founded Republic City, the main region that Legend of Korra takes place in, to unite all the nations and benders into one main area. When Aang passed away, it was his son's (Tenzin) job to take care of Republic City. However, what I find interesting is the time span and world development within those 100 years.

The rapid urbanization and technological advances of the World of Avatar mirrors that of the past hundred years in the real world, in which automobiles, towering buildings, and other great engineering feats have come to be.

Last edited Mar 21, 2012 at 01:34AM EDT

Anako wrote:

n the first series, Toph developed metalbending, a subset of earthbending. In this series it seems Toph’s daughter, Lin Beifong, picked that up from her and really took that idea of metalbending and advanced it by the second series. I really love how the creators didn’t just forget about Toph’s discovery of metalbending and actually went further with that idea.

Actually, Toph went around teaching people Metalbending. It seems to be a bit of a widespread skill now.

<blockquote.I can’t just leave out the setting of the whole series either. This series takes place a century or so after the first series

It's actually about 70 years.

When all of the nations united, Aang founded Republic City, the main region that Legend of Korra takes place in, to unite all the nations and benders into one main area.

Wait….all the nations united? I thought Republic city was a sort of new nation in between all the other ones?

Guh, that was fantastic. It felt a tad rushed, but that makes sense, considering what they have to cover to get everyone caught up. The writing was phenomenal, and I enjoyed seeing the development that has happened in the last 100 or so years.

@MisterMustache While the "Avatar" series premiered on Nickelodeon, it's developed a huge fanbase in the teens and young adults demographic.

It was a bit rushed, but I like where it's all going for now. I can't wait to see what the anti-benders are up to, and how Korra's gonna deal with it. Obviously it's not going to be a black and white issue like it was with the last generation, since it's easy to understand why people who can't bend would rise against benders, especially considering how the society is currently structured. I'm hoping this won't set me up for disappointment, but if the writers are just as fantastic as they were before, I have a feeling that shouldn't be a problem.

Korra is badass. End of discussion. And I want a polarbeardog.

burning_phoneix wrote:

Anako wrote:

n the first series, Toph developed metalbending, a subset of earthbending. In this series it seems Toph’s daughter, Lin Beifong, picked that up from her and really took that idea of metalbending and advanced it by the second series. I really love how the creators didn’t just forget about Toph’s discovery of metalbending and actually went further with that idea.

Actually, Toph went around teaching people Metalbending. It seems to be a bit of a widespread skill now.

<blockquote.I can’t just leave out the setting of the whole series either. This series takes place a century or so after the first series

It's actually about 70 years.

When all of the nations united, Aang founded Republic City, the main region that Legend of Korra takes place in, to unite all the nations and benders into one main area.

Wait….all the nations united? I thought Republic city was a sort of new nation in between all the other ones?

Toph indeed discovered "Metalbending." She taught people Metalbending after the war.

Most earthbenders are unable to manipulate processed metals with their bending. This inability was first demonstrated by earthbender prisoners, taken captive by the Fire Nation, who were brought to a completely metal rig in the middle of the ocean to exploit this weakness. The earthbenders' helplessness due to their situation was stressed several times. Earthbenders' inability to bend metal was also expressed when Xin Fu and the other Earth Rumble VI fighters captured Toph and Aang in metal cages suspended in the air. Toph only escaped this cage by means of a ransom, and Aang was released when his cage fell to the ground, where Sokka and Katara broke it open.

Toph was later captured in a metal cage by Xin Fu and her former teacher, Master Yu again, when they lured her away from the group with a false letter from her mother. While she was transported back to Gaoling by her two captors, she tried desperately to break the cage until Master Yu chided that, even if she was the best earthbender alive, it was impossible to bend the metal. At this point, Toph realized that metal was only purified earth, just as Guru Pathik was explaining this to Aang many miles away at the Eastern Air Temple. Toph started to meditate in her cage until she was able to feel the vibrations of the trace amounts of earth in the metal. By using these remaining fragments, Toph used metalbending for the first time, tearing a hole in her cage so that she could escape.

After the War, Toph traveled extensively to teach metalbending. Metalbending is mostly used to subdue criminals by the Republic City police, who are led by Toph's daughter, by bending metal cables from cylindrical spool devices on their backs.

Though, you are correct, it may have been 70 years rather than 100; considering Katara is now about 84-85 years old in Legend of Korra. She was 14 in Avatar: The Last Airbender, and 15-16 in The Promise Trilogy and 84-85 in The Legend of Korra. The Legend of Korra takes place in 170 ASC, Katara was born in 85 ASC. So 170-85=85 (years old).

As far as all the nations being united, it clearly says that in the intro to the first episode of Legend of Korra.

Earth, Fire, Air, Water.

When I was a boy, my father, Avatar Aang, told me the story of how he and his friends heroically ended the Hundred Year War. Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko transformed the Fire Nation colonies into the United Republic of Nations, a society where benders and non-benders from all over the world could live and thrive together in peace and harmony. They named the capital of this great land "Republic City." Avatar Aang accomplished many remarkable things in his life, but sadly, his time in this world came to an end; and like the circle of the seasons, the cycle of the Avatar began anew.
Last edited Mar 23, 2012 at 07:04PM EDT

Anako wrote:

As far as all the nations being united, it clearly says that in the intro to the first episode of Legend of Korra.

Well, it says the Fire Nation colonies and while the Fire nation did conquer a whole bunch, I don't think they got the whole Earth Kingdom or the Northern Water Tribe, amongst other areas.

Iced Hot Chocolate wrote:

Oh yeah I saw this like 2 days ago.
Pretty awesome. Seeing Katara so old makes me feel fhsdabgilsfh though.
She's old.

She looks almost identical to Gran Gran from season one of the original series.

Iced Hot Chocolate wrote:

My reaction to the second episode

Epic MSPaint skills right here

Also that little kid scares me. Those facial expressions…

Mark my words: the older brother is bad news, and the Fire Ferrets are involved (or will be) in the anti-bending controversy.

^Best part of the whole damn show right there.

I have to say, the first episode alone made me remember why I loved The Last Airbender so much. It's such a great world, and I think it's been updated in the best possible way

BUT WHAT ABOUT ZUKO'S MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!?1

Anako wrote:

>mfw I'm torrenting episode 1 and 2 in 720p.

---

You can watch episode 1 and 2 consecutively on Korranation.com

Just click the thumbnail that says "46:37."

YES! Im so happy! I was bummed I could only see the first one. Avatar is easily one of my favorite shows of all time, better than MLP and up there with Dexter.
I thought it was really funny how that Katara couldn't explain what happened to Zukos Mom.

Last edited Mar 30, 2012 at 10:42AM EDT

>mfw I realized on my own that Tenzen is voiced by J. K. Simmons

If that name doesn't ring any bells to you, watch this video.

Also, HOW DARE YOU PEOPLE NOT LIKE MAKO HE IS KORRA'S SUGAR BUCKET OF LOVE AND BABIES

Last edited Apr 16, 2012 at 09:28PM EDT

Dac wrote:

What did you guys think about Amon and the chi blockers? Also, how do you think he learned to energy bend?

Actually, i didn't see the new episode. Anyone know where I can watch it?

Platus wrote:

Basically, episode 3 was where shit suddenly got real.

So I hear. I MUST SEE IT.

BUT DIRECTV HAS WEIRD PROGRAMMING SLIDES FOR NICKELODEON, AND YOU CAN NEVER KNOW WHEN A SHOW WILL AIR. THE FIRST TIME I WATCHED KORRA ON TELEVISION WAS WHEN SPONGEBOB WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOWING.

CAPS LOCK.

Piano wrote:

BUT DIRECTV HAS WEIRD PROGRAMMING SLIDES FOR NICKELODEON, AND YOU CAN NEVER KNOW WHEN A SHOW WILL AIR. THE FIRST TIME I WATCHED KORRA ON TELEVISION WAS WHEN SPONGEBOB WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOWING.

CAPS LOCK.

Shazam:

http://dubhappy.com/the-legend-of-korra-episode-3/
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/avatar-the-legend-of-korra-episode-3-the-revelation
http://www.goodanime.net/avatar-the-legend-of-korra-episode-3

Platus wrote:

Shazam:

http://dubhappy.com/the-legend-of-korra-episode-3/
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/avatar-the-legend-of-korra-episode-3-the-revelation
http://www.goodanime.net/avatar-the-legend-of-korra-episode-3

And you can… Legally watch those, right?

Piano wrote:

CAPS LOCK.

Nick.com has all the episodes, with ads though. Buy who cares, at least you are supporting the show.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!