Forums / General

195,862 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Avatar: TLA / Legend of Korra General

Last posted Jul 13, 2014 at 06:08PM EDT. Added Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
1,985 conversations with 82 participants

nukefire wrote:

Ok, ok, as much as I’d like to continue the discussion on who the villain is…

… are we all glossing over the mysterious glowing avatar statue Jinora runs into?

BTW I totally don’t believe that Unalaq is the big bad, he’s so obviously set up that he has to be at most a side bad to allow the big bad to seem all the more menacing when he shows up, or something

Also, that whole “open up a portal so we can have free movement between the two poles” is just going to be used to bring a huge army in. That’s not a spoiler – it is literally the most obvious thing that could happen. There is no way that opening that portal is a good idea . . . and Kora is probably going to do it anyway.

Edit: first new page get in a year. Bitchin’!

Last edited Sep 23, 2013 at 11:50PM EDT
Sep 23, 2013 at 11:49PM EDT

So in the 40 minutes that I was supposed to be doing work, I did some poking around and found some useful Avatar related stuff:

• Sifu Kisu (marital arts consultant for the show) apparently mentioned that airbending was finally getting a sub-style
  • Re: the people fearing team Korra will get marginalized: just check the S2 trailer, they seem very, very not-marginalized

Platus wrote:

“open up a portal so we can have free movement between the two poles” is just going to be used to bring a huge army in. That’s not a spoiler – it is literally the most obvious thing that could happen

Yeah that would be painfully obvious, and kinda boring for a season called “spirits,” which is why I hope that doesn’t happen (although the portals are definitely looking foreshadow-ee)

Still seriously itchin’ to hear theories on that statue

Last edited Sep 24, 2013 at 12:27AM EDT
Sep 24, 2013 at 12:25AM EDT

I remember something in the trailer where it looked like Jinora and Korra were meditating together. I assume it has something to do with Wan, but that seems pointless when Korra could just give him a call at any time. It’d be kind of funny, though, if Tenzin’s daughter became Korra’s new teacher. Honestly, I got nothing. Sorry, nukefire.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:20AM EDT

If Varrick turns out to be something sinister, it’s just going to suck because this episode made me really, really enjoy his eccentric-ness. He’s like Sokka’s bastard child or something. It’s great.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:39PM EDT

Arlon The Serene (Free Cake) wrote:

If Varrick turns out to be something sinister, it’s just going to suck because this episode made me really, really enjoy his eccentric-ness. He’s like Sokka’s bastard child or something. It’s great.

“Is this thing fast enough to get away from my crazy waterbending ex-girlfriend?”
“Why do you think I built this boat?!”

Pure gold. There’s an episode of awesome stuff hidden in that line.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:00AM EDT

nukefire wrote:

Ok, ok, as much as I’d like to continue the discussion on who the villain is…

… are we all glossing over the mysterious glowing avatar statue Jinora runs into?

BTW I totally don’t believe that Unalaq is the big bad, he’s so obviously set up that he has to be at most a side bad to allow the big bad to seem all the more menacing when he shows up, or something

The statue is most likely this dude…

I doubt he will be the bad guy though.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:46PM EDT

Thing I don’t get: they keep making a big deal about how the Avatar is supposed to be “neutral,” but Aang wasn’t neutral in the previous war – he was unabashedly against the Fire Nation the whole time, and they gave him a freaking statue in the Republic City harbor. The same goes for Avatar Kyoshi – she picked sides in a war, and the only people who hated her for it were the descendants of the losing side. It seems to me, from the precedent, that picking sides in major conflicts is part of the avatar’s job, and that all of the training they go through is in part to help them pick those sides in the way that best promotes peace and balance between the nations. The Northern Water Tribe is clearly the aggressor in the civil war, which would be over as soon as the North withdrew, whereas the South being brought under domination would require years, possibly generations, of military occupation. Thus, the fastest route to peace is to force out the North and then initiate diplomacy, mediated by Republic City, to resolve the conflicts which started the war in the first place. This whole “neutrality” thing therefore seems like a pointless way to create conflict and drive the story.

[end rant]

Edit: also, at the end of the latest episode, did anyone else notice Chief Be-Fong use the word “flameo”? SOKKA’S PHRASE LIVES ON!

Last edited Oct 04, 2013 at 11:17PM EDT
Oct 04, 2013 at 11:15PM EDT

@platus

Aang was the one who would say “Flameo, Hotman”. Both terms were very outdated and from Aangs time.

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:50AM EDT

Platus wrote:

Thing I don’t get: they keep making a big deal about how the Avatar is supposed to be “neutral,” but Aang wasn’t neutral in the previous war – he was unabashedly against the Fire Nation the whole time, and they gave him a freaking statue in the Republic City harbor. The same goes for Avatar Kyoshi – she picked sides in a war, and the only people who hated her for it were the descendants of the losing side. It seems to me, from the precedent, that picking sides in major conflicts is part of the avatar’s job, and that all of the training they go through is in part to help them pick those sides in the way that best promotes peace and balance between the nations. The Northern Water Tribe is clearly the aggressor in the civil war, which would be over as soon as the North withdrew, whereas the South being brought under domination would require years, possibly generations, of military occupation. Thus, the fastest route to peace is to force out the North and then initiate diplomacy, mediated by Republic City, to resolve the conflicts which started the war in the first place. This whole “neutrality” thing therefore seems like a pointless way to create conflict and drive the story.

[end rant]

Edit: also, at the end of the latest episode, did anyone else notice Chief Be-Fong use the word “flameo”? SOKKA’S PHRASE LIVES ON!

It seems this whole “Must stay neutral” thing is more a way for the Uncle to get into Korra’s head and keep her in line. One thing I love about this guy is he is very smooth with his words and will totally make you feel like you are the bad guy in this situation when it’s actually clearly him. (this may be a completely moot point because I have yet to see the very latest episode and maybe someone else plays the “neutrality” card.

You guys ready for me to make you jelly? My college does this thing called “artist talks” every month or so which is basically a visiting artist comes to the school and talks about their work and does a little Q&A. You guys wanna know whose coming this month, the day before my birthday? Bryan Konietzko himself. Sadly, the other member of the creator duo is not going to be there, but I am so hyped I barely can sit still!

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:08PM EDT

I called the President being somewhat bad. Just pointing that out :)

Oct 05, 2013 at 04:12PM EDT

^
How is he bad? He is just unwilling to send his troops for valid reasons. While korra is convinced that the nothern water tribe is responsible for the bombing, he isn’t. On top of that, considering the protesting on the streets, it’s obvious he would be in a sticky situation picking sides at the moment. Also, those are his troops on the line that would be going to fight someone else’s war.
Who knows, you may still be right, but at the moment, nothing really points to him being bad.

Last edited Oct 05, 2013 at 04:29PM EDT
Oct 05, 2013 at 04:28PM EDT

>be me
>browse FB
>see this post
>bookmark it & procrastinate
>1 month later
>realize that the series is almost halfway through
>mfw

I got some serious catching up to do.

Oct 05, 2013 at 04:45PM EDT

Dac wrote:

^
How is he bad? He is just unwilling to send his troops for valid reasons. While korra is convinced that the nothern water tribe is responsible for the bombing, he isn’t. On top of that, considering the protesting on the streets, it’s obvious he would be in a sticky situation picking sides at the moment. Also, those are his troops on the line that would be going to fight someone else’s war.
Who knows, you may still be right, but at the moment, nothing really points to him being bad.

I said somewhat bad. You also have to remember he is kind of a caricature of FDR before WWII. He’s not a bad guy per say, but think about how he went out of his way to prevent Korra from doing anything. He didn’t plan any strategy with her, he didn’t promise to intervene for the sake of peace, he just dismissed her and then made rounds assuring his power wasn’t challenged. This guy is still new to his job, I’m not calling him bad, but he clearly isn’t on Korra’s side.

He’s currently on the Avatar scale of “Not as big a jerk as he could have been”

Btw, anyone see a similarity to the Earth King? must be the glasses…

Oct 06, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT

@AvatarMike

Somewhat bad is a very vague statement. Just about everyone can be classified as that. Lin, Tenzin, Mako, have all done stuff against korra. Anyways, he was just making sure his that she wasn’t trying to get him into a war. A pretty reasonable thing to do. What she was trying to do with Mako is actually a pretty serious crime.

he clearly isn’t on Korra’s side.

Korra may be the Avatar, but that doesn’t make her perfect. He can’t go to war just on her word.
Oct 06, 2013 at 07:43PM EDT

I can’t help but somewhat side with the president in this matter. It’s obviously a bad decision to start fighting someone else’s war when it’s clearly a conflict strictly between two outside nations. I do wish he had just decided to side with Korra and fight for the Southern tribe, but that’s only because I know how corrupt this whole situation is. The President, on the other hand, had only seen protesting Northern and Southern tribe members (and a bombing that may or may not have to do with one of the tribes) and has the lives of his military and his reputation at stake. While we are on this thread I am also going to say that I think Mako was in the right for telling the President about Korra’s plan to talk to Iroh behind the President’s back. It was stated that Mako is under oath, that could mean anything between losing his job and going to jail for withholding information.

Meanwhile, I’m getting really sick and tired of Korra acting like you’re on her side or you’re not, and her aggressive attitude towards the people that disagree with her. I thought this was going to change when her father asked her to stay peaceful and neutral, but we instead backtrack completely when it’s revealed that Unoloq (how the hell do you spell his name?) is a traitor. I would be able to forgive all this if Korra were to learn a lesson about how such behavior would only hurt her situation, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens as the season goes on.

On a side note, I would love for Tenzin to become a part of the main storyline soon. I thought the family dynamic was great in the last episode, but in this episode it felt like he didn’t have all that much to do. And that really hurts me because Tenzin is by far among one of my favorite characters.

Oct 08, 2013 at 12:30AM EDT

Oh, look at that, Varrick turned out to be something sinister. Go figure.

Also, how is the cast of LOK older and thus supposedly wiser than that of TLAB yet they make way more stupid mistakes?

Oct 12, 2013 at 03:40AM EDT

Episode title: The Sting
Title that was probably pitched first but didn’t get past censors: Everything gets Fucked

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:01AM EDT

Oh, look at that, Varrick turned out to be something sinister. Go figure.

Also, how is the cast of LOK older and thus supposedly wiser than that of TLAB yet they make way more stupid mistakes?

What mistakes are we talking about?

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:15AM EDT

Jyron Stone wrote:

Episode title: The Sting
Title that was probably pitched first but didn’t get past censors: Everything gets Fucked

Agreed. It doesn’t count as a sting until this music is played at least once:

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:26AM EDT

Dac wrote:

What mistakes are we talking about?

In this episode alone, we have Mako continually thinking he knows what he’s doing and acts on impulses that always fail. He ticks off Lin by trying to be a hot-shot. He says he might lose his job by doing the sting. And what does he do? He ignores her orders anyways and hires criminals to capture other criminals and then, big surprise, the criminals he hired turn out to be going against him. Who would have guessed that trusting people you throw in jail but currently aren’t in jail and thus have no real reason to help you, might be a bad idea? So now Asami’s going broke and Mako keeps promising he’ll make things right, promises he’s failed at before.

Korra, Jesus Christ, Korra. Korra and Mako really must be meant for each other, because no other characters are as irrational, impatient and hot-tempered as them. Remind me of a time when Korra solved a problem without using her fists. While I understand her anger of the Northern invasion, it still doesn’t change the fact that she’s managed to make almost everyone around her turned off by her insane zealousness. The President, Mako and her father are right by telling her she can’t just go with guns blazing into any situation. Hopefully her time as an amnesiac will make her a little more thoughtful.

Last edited Oct 12, 2013 at 02:27PM EDT
Oct 12, 2013 at 02:25PM EDT

To be fair, the Triple Triads only double-crossed when they were counter-hired right after Mako and Asami left: considering they were getting a load of top-end cars and the possibility of their leader getting his lightning bending back, it would’ve been beyond stupid if they weren’t hired against Mako and decided to axe the bargain for the sake of spite.

Oct 13, 2013 at 05:16PM EDT

forgive me for being so persnickety, but why didn’t the Triple Triads attempt to kill Mako on the spot when he went to their hideout? I understand he had some past connections with them, but they’re the mob. They don’t exactly take kindly to people who walk out on them, much less join the police. also, if Mako knew the secret location of their hideout from the start, then why didn’t he inform Lin? Were Mako and the Triple Triads dealing under the table (I mean before this episode) or something?
Also, I don’t think this reference has been made yet, so I’m gonna make it right now:

Last edited Oct 13, 2013 at 07:51PM EDT
Oct 13, 2013 at 07:48PM EDT

Gangsters wouldn’t just kill a cop just for walking in, that would cause a whole lot of uneeded trouble.

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:49PM EDT

Anyone else kinda disturbed about Unalaq coming out of the beam of light? Where was he in the spirit world, or in the movie Tron?

Last edited Oct 17, 2013 at 06:37PM EDT
Oct 17, 2013 at 06:36PM EDT

>multinational corporation
>manufactures remote detonators
>various groups buy detonators
>terrorists use detonator to do what they do best
>blame multinational corporation’s CEO

Do you even logic?

>multinational corporation teetering on the edge of bankruptcy
>store all inventory in single warehouse
>don’t have insurance
>inventory gets stolen

Do you even corporate governance?

>be Water Tribe king/emperor/whatever
>need Avator to open portal to Lovecraft Country
>tell her she’s no longer needed
>get her to hate your guts so she’ll never help you

Do you even manipulative villainy?

It’s like everyone’s an idiot or something. And what’s with the whole “Avatar must remain neutral” thing? Remember the last time the Avatar remained neutral? That whole “hundred year war” thing happened.

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:24PM EDT

I have to agree with xTSGx here. Everyone’s acting so recklessly. Which is fine if you’re Mako or Korra and don’t tend to think about something for more than 10 seconds at a time, but someone like Unaloq should really be a bit more intelligent about this whole thing. It’s like he had all this patience for years to put this plan into action and now he loses his cool in, like, a week. And things haven’t even gotten that bad for him yet!

Last edited Oct 17, 2013 at 11:36PM EDT
Oct 17, 2013 at 11:35PM EDT

So, “Wan,” I wonder what significance that name has.
Probably nothing to do with him being the first avatar.
Nope, not one bit.

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:15AM EDT

Jyron Stone wrote:

It was his separation of the two worlds, Korra!
He was number Wan!

Avatar Wan, the last Werbenjagermanjensen!

Edit:

On a serious note, look at this gif again:

See the vaguely kite-shaped thing at the back of the statue? That’s some seriously good foreshadowing right there.

Also, also, remember ages ago when I predicted that we hadn’t seen the actual bad guy yet? Well . . .

Last edited Oct 20, 2013 at 01:59AM EDT
Oct 20, 2013 at 01:54AM EDT

Okay, wait, wait, back up a second. Does this mean that Unalaq is going to try to revive Vaatu to destroy the world he deems flawed? Why else would he be trying to open the Spirit Gates?

Oct 20, 2013 at 09:02AM EDT

Mabye he is trying to become a dark avatar.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:28AM EDT

Dac wrote:

That would be so badass.
But he would still need the lion turtles to give him the other elements.

Oct 20, 2013 at 01:59PM EDT

Platus wrote:

That would be so badass.
But he would still need the lion turtles to give him the other elements.

inb4 one or both of the Water Tribes turn out to have been on top of a lion turtle all along.

Oct 20, 2013 at 02:35PM EDT

Interesting how now Unalaq is trying to open the Spirit Gates with pure force, much like Korra did her first time except with fire, while Korra now is able to reach the Spirit World and purify dark spirits. Because before this, Unalaq was always so calm and thinking while Korra was just violent, but now it’s the other way around.
Oh, also Mako’s life sucks. What else is new?

Nov 02, 2013 at 11:50AM EDT

Unalaq Dad of the Year 2014 let’s give him a big round of applause everyone

Was anyone else uncomfortable when Varrick had that talk with Mako (well, aside from “The burning means it’s working!”)? Mako may have been a bamf and brushed off the thought of torture-by-burning-coals, but just the thought that Varrick COULD HAVE EASILY DONE THAT was unsettling, even before he gave that barely-veiled threat about Asami and Bolin.

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:38PM EDT

I don’t even wanna watch anymore. I haven’t been this depressed since Lin got her bending taken away (and seeing her this season, that actually isn’t a bad thing anymore) and when aang died in the crossroads of destiny. Seriously, won’t there be any challenge that isn’t out of reach for Korra, I mean yeah we know this will pay off in the end, but come on. But I think what I am mostly disappointed with this season is how disconnected everything is and how it jumps back and forth so much.

Nov 09, 2013 at 09:09PM EST

http://www.nick.com/videos/playlist/play/legend-of-korra-book-2-125-126-playlist.html
The final two episodes of the season are up on the Nick website now for early viewing. Praise Raava!

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:13AM EST

Jyron Stone wrote:

http://www.nick.com/videos/playlist/play/legend-of-korra-book-2-125-126-playlist.html
The final two episodes of the season are up on the Nick website now for early viewing. Praise Raava!

Wow that season went by fast. At least MLP is starting next week.

We kind of did a daisy chain: SNK lead into Kora, which lead into MLP, which will lead into . . . . fuck.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:18AM EST

Dac wrote:

Well, looks like I was right… Again.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:14PM EST

Dac wrote:

Well, looks like I was right… Again.

I was also right. That whole time, he was only able to bend water.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:17PM EST

Platus wrote:

I was also right. That whole time, he was only able to bend water.

Yeah, but its less impressive to say you predicted a water bender would only bend water :3

U mad bro?

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:27PM EST

I was…kinda’ right, right? He tried to destroy the current state of the world and bring in “A New Spiritual Age”. Dac gets the most points, though I doubt anyone would have guessed he would become a Kaiju-like monster.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:45PM EST

So how do you all think S2 compares to S1? Personally, I preferred S1: IMO this season had a few too many out-of-character moments (Korra’s reversion to stubborn bitchiness initially and Lin’s behavior in general comes to mind) and contrived happenings (abrupt Jinora light explosion of plot-fixing ACTIVAAAAAATE, oh and Eska suddenly doesn’t love Bolin anymore how convenient for him right). I liked the Tenzin side story, though: he went from pretty much being “the mentor guy” in S1 to, well, Tenzin.

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:54AM EST

The show itself is beautiful, (Music, scenery, character design, bending movements, fight sequences, etc.) but the plot was a little lacking. Which is sad because the premise was so good. I was disappointed how even in the last episode, people were still chucking rocks at spirits, despite the first few episodes showing how ineffective that was. Kind of ruins the moral of “there are problems with which straight-up attacking will not solve” when using holy water is eschewed in favor of brute force. Sorry for comparing LOK to TLAB but Aang defeated Ozai without killing him. His spiritual technique gave him the power to do that. Korra just meditated for more power. Also, you’d think Unalaq would be able to blood bend, just saying. Finally, if the North Pole’s spirit portal was always open, why didn’t Yue take Aang there to easily get into the Spirit World instead of the Spirirt Oasis?

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:41AM EST

@Out of character moments

Part of the problem with comparing season 1 and season 2 in this regard is that, in season one, the characters were still being defined. Who Lin “was” had not yet been set in stone, so it is, by definition, impossible for her to act “out of character.” I think we should cut the show a bit slack here – they went from working with endlessly malleable characters to characters with set histories and personalities. It’s a different kind of writing.

@Spirit portals

If you recall, at first both portals were closed. Kora opened the South portal early in the season, and then opened the north one when Jinora was held hostage. Back when Aang was avatar, both portals were closed, so going to the spirit world was more difficult.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:56PM EST

- They were attacking the spirits because they were just trying to slow them down, so that they wouldn’t get to Korra’s defenseless body: none of them knew the purification technique (the fact that Unalaq was the only one who knew about it was an early plot point, remember).
- Honestly, I found Korra tapping into her inner strength to go Spirit Godzilla was more acceptable than Aang getting a sudden, easy out from possibly breaking his “no kill” rule (that all of his past lives told him should have been broken in the case of Ozai).
- It would make sense for him to Bloodbend, yeah, though I guess the writers didn’t want a rehash of S1.
- The Northern portal wasn’t open. Desna almost died when Unalaq tried to brute force it open, so Unalaq instead resorted to using Jinora as a hostage to make Korra open it for him.

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:07PM EST

The show itself is beautiful, (Music, scenery, character design, bending movements, fight sequences, etc.) but the plot was a little lacking. Which is sad because the premise was so good. I was disappointed how even in the last episode, people were still chucking rocks at spirits, despite the first few episodes showing how ineffective that was. Kind of ruins the moral of “there are problems with which straight-up attacking will not solve” when using holy water is eschewed in favor of brute force. Sorry for comparing LOK to TLAB but Aang defeated Ozai without killing him. His spiritual technique gave him the power to do that. Korra just meditated for more power. Also, you’d think Unalaq would be able to blood bend, just saying. Finally, if the North Pole’s spirit portal was always open, why didn’t Yue take Aang there to easily get into the Spirit World instead of the Spirirt Oasis?

Thank you, I thought I was the only one thinking about bloodbending. As much as I love this show, it was very sporadic this season. Its as if the first season never happened. When Korra found out the Unalaq lied in the prison, shouldn’t that have been the time to say, ENERGYBEND him and take away his power? Furthermore it was explained that rava and vatua cannot exist without each other, but you see no trace of him afterwards. As for that relationship crap, yeah that’s annoying, Aang was always getting friend zoned, but not Korra, haha. Still a great season, cant wait for a third, there was a lot of good set up.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:01PM EST

Hey! You must login or signup first!