Forums / General

195,932 total conversations in 5,394 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
Avatar: TLA / Legend of Korra General

Last posted Jul 14, 2014 at 07:11AM EDT. Added Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
1,987 conversations with 82 participants

Onion Syrup wrote:

I’m not denying they don’t. it’s true they do that a little bit here and there, but it never was the main attraction of the show. Sure, Iroh has the same VA as Zuko and that was awesome, but I would never say that or any of the other fan nods is better than the fact that Korra will be going to the spirit world in Season 2.

In MLP, fan nods are apparently what keep the show interesting for most of its fans. I remember when Derpy showed up in the episode Applejack starred in for the first time in ages. All talk about character development and animation flew out the window and stayed out for two episodes. I thought that Derpy cameo was great, but I would never say that’s all it would take to keep me watching.

Also, what’s this Wang Fire side comic series you’re talking about? How come I’ve never heard of it!?

I’m not denying they don’t. it’s true they do that a little bit here and there, but it never was the main attraction of the show. Sure, Iroh has the same VA as Zuko and that was awesome, but I would never say that or any of the other fan nods is better than the fact that Korra will be going to the spirit world in Season 2.
Sure, Iroh has the same VA as Zuko and that was awesome
and that was awesome

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 10:51PM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:51PM EDT
Quote

Yeah, I wasn’t digging the vibes I got from irohs voice, cha feel? It wasn’t manly enough. Hell, dipper from gravity falls has a manlier voice and he’s only twelve.

@onion syrup

I understand what you are trying to say, but you also have to remember what the show are about and who they are for. Obvoiusly hasbro has to keep it squeaky clean for their intended audience but you have to give them credit for making a good show despite the fact they can’t do too much. True, I enjoy korra, gravity falls, and a couple other shows better because they can have more innuendos or “adult” themes, but I won’t hold that against mlp.

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 11:22PM EDT
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:10PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I’m not denying they don’t. it’s true they do that a little bit here and there, but it never was the main attraction of the show. Sure, Iroh has the same VA as Zuko and that was awesome, but I would never say that or any of the other fan nods is better than the fact that Korra will be going to the spirit world in Season 2.
Sure, Iroh has the same VA as Zuko and that was awesome
and that was awesome

Now, now….

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
Quote

Can’t stand Zuko’s voice, and by extension, Iroh’s.

On top of that, Iroh’s voice sometimes confuses me, and I start thinking he’s Zuko.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:04AM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

I actually kinda like Iroh’s voice

I liked Irohs voice

Back when it was Zuko’s voice

Jul 22, 2012 at 01:02AM EDT
Quote

Platus wrote:

I liked Irohs voice

Back when it was Zuko’s voice

THIS. It’s a nice touch paired with an angsty, confused and emotional teenager. But for a solid-as-a-rock, calm, mature guy like Iroh, it seems weird.

Jul 22, 2012 at 08:19AM EDT
Quote

Arlon The Serene (Free Cake) wrote:

THIS. It’s a nice touch paired with an angsty, confused and emotional teenager. But for a solid-as-a-rock, calm, mature guy like Iroh, it seems weird.

WHY DID NO ONE AGREE WITH ME WHEN I SAID THIS AT THE START OF HIS CHARACTER’S SCREENTIME

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:08AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

WHY DID NO ONE AGREE WITH ME WHEN I SAID THIS AT THE START OF HIS CHARACTER’S SCREENTIME

We always agree with you, Brawler. It’s just that we’re so intimidated by your extreme manliness that we never say anything.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:25AM EDT
Quote

In hindsight, it’s kinda true Iroh’s voice doesn’t fit his character. But I’m just glad I get to hear Zuko’s VA say a few new lines, for old time’s sake. I’d be a lot happier if I heard young Aang’s voice somewhere in the show, but you can’t ask for too much, right?

@Dac

>implying you can’t have good writing without resorting to adult themes

It’s not the adult themes I’m after. All I want is quality. Resorting to fan nods as your main attraction seems like the lazy man’s approach to pleasing your fans. Bronies are so overly excited when they heard Doctor Whooves will have a speaking role, most of them are already happy with just that. While my avatar-loving friends are elated by the news that a certain character will be voiced by Zuko’s VA, they were still preoccupied with the plot, like is Korra going to get her bending taken. Probably the most controversial thing we’ve seen in MLP is the foaming cider, and I wasn’t at all hyped about that. I’m not asking for drug references or shipping, I just want some sort of twist in the story I could look forward too. Like Trixie, for example, I really am wondering what would she do in season 3.

On a different note, I think MLP could totally pull off something like what happened to Korra, with her bending being taken away. Discord took the mane 6’s horns and wings, I bet he could’ve kept them powerless forever if he wasn’t so cocky.

Jul 22, 2012 at 08:03PM EDT
Quote
It’s not the adult themes I’m after. All I want is quality.

Jul 22, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT
Quote

@onion syrup
>implying you can’t have good writing without resorting to adult themes.

I won’t just imply it, I’ll flat out say it. The ability to have more adult themes in a show can make a huge differance( I don’t mean drug references or dirty jokes, I mean villians that are in the grey area. Problems that take more than an episode to fix, etc.) The creators of mlp do some pretty good writing and do a good job despite what they have to work with. Its just that its better when you are able to convey stronger emotions and allow the humor to have more freedom. More creative freedom is nessecary for a truly great show. Being beaten by the power of friendship can never compare to your brother killing you both or anything that happens in an AMC or Showtime show. I know, it’s not fair to compare the two, but that’s my point.

“On a different note, I think MLP could totally pull off something like what happened to Korra, with her bending being taken away. Discord took the mane 6’s horns and wings, I bet he could’ve kept them powerless forever if he wasn’t so cocky.”

See, what you are asking for is more adult. Discord equalizing the world or taking their powers away forever would raise topics that might not be suitable for young kids or the direction of the show. Something as permanent as rainbow dashes dreams being ruined because she lost her wings isn’t suitable.

You are a bit misinformed, they are making a few nods to bronies, but that isn’t their main focus. They will still make stories tailored for 4-8 year old girls. The writing is never gonna get as deep as you want precisely for that reason.

May I ask though where mlp lacks quality, not that I disagree or agree with you. Im just curious.

I AM NOT TALKING DOWN MLP. I AM JUST SAYING THAT YOU SHOULDN’T EXPECT THE SAME KIND OF STORY TELLING YOU SEE HERE IN MLP. IT JUST WON’T HAPPEN BECAUSE THEY WON’T ALLOW IT
Edit: really? A downvote? Im sorry that I have a different opinion than you.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:03PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 04:36PM EDT
Quote

Can we all just stop it with the arguments?

Instead, let’s get back on topic, and ask Bolin and Korra what they were drinking when they decided to swap wardrobes.
EDIT: There, feel better?

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 04:57PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT
Quote

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF KORRA IS THE AVATAR YOU GUYS

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF KORRA IS THE AVATAR YOU GUYS

Bullshit. Stop lying to me.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:54PM EDT
Quote

@dj starfish

That is not a flamewar. No insults have been said. Its mearly a discussion and I’d appreciate it if whoever downvoted would not do that. That instigates flamewars pretty easy.

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:55PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF KORRA IS THE AVATAR YOU GUYS

Jul 23, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

@dj starfish

That is not a flamewar. No insults have been said. Its mearly a discussion and I’d appreciate it if whoever downvoted would not do that. That instigates flamewars pretty easy.

Looks like one to me. Point is, cut the arguments. I didn’t read the whole thing, but I say something about MLP. This isn’t even a MLP thread. It’s causing thread derailment.
“Hey guys, someone disagrees with me over the internet, let’s all fight about it!!!1!”
And relax about the downvote. from the looks of it, you have 361 others that have been in line long before that one. For all you know, they could’ve just missed the upvote button. Happens to me all the time.
Also, downvoting me isn’t a great coping mechanism.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:07PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 05:03PM EDT
Quote

Myconix wrote:

Looks like one to me. Point is, cut the arguments. I didn’t read the whole thing, but I say something about MLP. This isn’t even a MLP thread. It’s causing thread derailment.
“Hey guys, someone disagrees with me over the internet, let’s all fight about it!!!1!”
And relax about the downvote. from the looks of it, you have 361 others that have been in line long before that one. For all you know, they could’ve just missed the upvote button. Happens to me all the time.
Also, downvoting me isn’t a great coping mechanism.

It’s not a fight, it never was a fight. When two people disagree, having a discussion does not constitute fighting despite what you think is going on. The discussion was about what fans expect from mlp and korra, so it was about korra in a way. Also, you have no authority to tell anyone here to stop “arguing”, so don’t act like you do.

By the way, Ill just stop right here. This has the makings of a flamewar and I would not like to start one.

I didn’t downvote you out of revenge, I did because you are telling us to cut out a discussion because you insist it’s a flamewar despite me telling you that no one is mad.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:17PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 05:10PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

It’s not a fight, it never was a fight. When two people disagree, having a discussion does not constitute fighting despite what you think is going on. The discussion was about what fans expect from mlp and korra, so it was about korra in a way. Also, you have no authority to tell anyone here to stop “arguing”, so don’t act like you do.

By the way, Ill just stop right here. This has the makings of a flamewar and I would not like to start one.

I didn’t downvote you out of revenge, I did because you are telling us to cut out a discussion because you insist it’s a flamewar despite me telling you that no one is mad.

>Also, you have no authority to tell anyone here to stop “arguing”, so don’t act like you do.
>This has the makings of a flamewar and I would not like to start one.
Way to follow your own advice.
Hell, I’m not even the one that downvoted you, pal. Don’t take it out on me.

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:21PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 05:17PM EDT
Quote

Myconix wrote:

>Also, you have no authority to tell anyone here to stop “arguing”, so don’t act like you do.
>This has the makings of a flamewar and I would not like to start one.
Way to follow your own advice.
Hell, I’m not even the one that downvoted you, pal. Don’t take it out on me.

I said wouldn’t continue, I said nothing about you. You have every right to continue if you want. Last time I checked, I have authority over what I do.

Anyways, awesome fanart


And a comic

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:26PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 05:20PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF KORRA IS THE AVATAR YOU GUYS

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF ZUKO IS THE ONE WHO TEACHES AANG FIRE BENDING YOU GUYS

Last edited Jul 23, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT
Jul 23, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF ZUKO IS THE ONE WHO TEACHES AANG FIRE BENDING YOU GUYS

GUYS, GUYS

LISTEN

WHAT IF

WHAT IF THE FIRE NATION DIDN’T KILL ALL THE AIRBENDERS

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:48PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS, GUYS

LISTEN

WHAT IF

WHAT IF THE FIRE NATION DIDN’T KILL ALL THE AIRBENDERS

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS WHAT IF

WHAT IF ZUKO IS THE ONE WHO TEACHES AANG FIRE BENDING YOU GUYS

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS, WHAT IF

AANG IS DEAD BECAUSE KORRA IS AN AVATAR

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

GUYS, WHAT IF

AANG IS DEAD BECAUSE KORRA IS AN AVATAR

GUYS

YOU GUYS

WHAT IF

WHAT IF THERE’S A BEING WHO IS DESIGNATED TO MAKE PEACE BETWEEN THE ELEMENTS AND BRIDGE THE PHYSICAL AND SPIRIT WORLD

THAT WOULD BE DYN-O-MITE

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

WHAT IF

WHAT IF THERE’S A BEING WHO IS DESIGNATED TO MAKE PEACE BETWEEN THE ELEMENTS AND BRIDGE THE PHYSICAL AND SPIRIT WORLD

THAT WOULD BE DYN-O-MITE

YEAH!

How awesome would it be If they made a show about it.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT
Quote

Dac wrote:

YEAH!

How awesome would it be If they made a show about it.

WHAT IF, WHAT IF

THERE WERE TWO SHOWS ABOUT IT!

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:20PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

GUYS

YOU GUYS

WHAT IF

WHAT IF THERE’S A BEING WHO IS DESIGNATED TO MAKE PEACE BETWEEN THE ELEMENTS AND BRIDGE THE PHYSICAL AND SPIRIT WORLD

THAT WOULD BE DYN-O-MITE

DUDES

PEOPLE HOLD ON

I MEAN SERIOUSLY WAIT

WHAT WHAT IF

WHAT IF WE WERE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE A LINEAR CONNECTION OF EVENTS THAT WERE ALL ENACTED BY OR RELATED TO A PERSON OR GROUP FOR THE SAKE OF ENTERTAINMENT

WE COULD CALL IT STORYTELLING

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:20PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

DUDES

PEOPLE HOLD ON

I MEAN SERIOUSLY WAIT

WHAT WHAT IF

WHAT IF WE WERE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE A LINEAR CONNECTION OF EVENTS THAT WERE ALL ENACTED BY OR RELATED TO A PERSON OR GROUP FOR THE SAKE OF ENTERTAINMENT

WE COULD CALL IT STORYTELLING

HOLY SHIT

YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING.

Jul 23, 2012 at 06:22PM EDT
Quote

GUY’S

YOU GUY’S WHAT IF

WHAT IF WERE BUSY POSTING OBVIOUS SHIT EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT?

BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THAT’S WHAT WERE DOING.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:12PM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

GUY’S

YOU GUY’S WHAT IF

WHAT IF WERE BUSY POSTING OBVIOUS SHIT EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT?

BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THAT’S WHAT WERE DOING.

DUDE

NAW

NAAAAAWWWW

I THINK

I THINK WE’RE POSTING SOME

SOME PRETTY QUALITY STUFF

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:24PM EDT
Quote

@Dac

I did NOT downvote you. Your explanation was pretty solid. I only downvote plainly insulting posts.

This is a Korra thread, so I will not post what I think MLP lacks here. Heck, I was actually wondering how borderline can I get before people start reprimanding me to stick to the topic. I’ve said enough about MLP, so I won’t say any more.

@DJ starrfish

it isn’t a flamewar until someone starts cussing, I’d like to call that little bickering a few posts back an informal debate. But you do have a point… the atmosphere is getting tense.

Here’s a little something to compensate for all the trouble I’ve caused.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:37PM EDT
Quote

@onion syrup
I know it wasn’t you, don’t worry.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

Onion Syrup wrote:

@Dac

I did NOT downvote you. Your explanation was pretty solid. I only downvote plainly insulting posts.

This is a Korra thread, so I will not post what I think MLP lacks here. Heck, I was actually wondering how borderline can I get before people start reprimanding me to stick to the topic. I’ve said enough about MLP, so I won’t say any more.

@DJ starrfish

it isn’t a flamewar until someone starts cussing, I’d like to call that little bickering a few posts back an informal debate. But you do have a point… the atmosphere is getting tense.

Here’s a little something to compensate for all the trouble I’ve caused.

You’re fine, someone else brought up MLP before that whole thing.
Also, dat hair.

Jul 23, 2012 at 07:46PM EDT
Quote

Erwinator wrote:

>Every ‘guys what if’ comment

>Your response to those comments

Jul 24, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT
Quote

Erwinator wrote:

>Every ‘guys what if’ comment

That clip will never get old

NEVER

Jul 24, 2012 at 03:20PM EDT
Quote

Okay. This is bugging me for a while, so I just spit it out. Don’t know if it’s mentioned before, but here it goes.

You know that since Avatar: The Last Airbender aired, there was Zutara from almost the beginning. The creators were aware of this and all other shipping and poked fun in it in ‘The Ember Island Players’, conventions and on their personal profiles. Aang ended up with Katara at the end, but here is the thing.
What if the creators were like: Okay, you want some canon Zutara? Fine. Here we have a firebender, who is just a little more caring than Zuko and a young girl from the Watertribe. The girl likes the firebender, but not otherwise. Now there is an earthbender who really likes her and respects her, but she does not like him directly back. He gets his hart broken ’caus she kisses the firebender (is this what you Zutarians want?) Now there is a black haired girl who is not as bland as Mai and she likes him and back, but due to the Watertribe girl, the firebender eventually ends up with her, and dumps Mai (sorry, Asami).
You see? This is what creators gave to Zutarians. And does that makes them satisfied?

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:18PM EDT
Quote

Erwinator wrote:

Okay. This is bugging me for a while, so I just spit it out. Don’t know if it’s mentioned before, but here it goes.

You know that since Avatar: The Last Airbender aired, there was Zutara from almost the beginning. The creators were aware of this and all other shipping and poked fun in it in ‘The Ember Island Players’, conventions and on their personal profiles. Aang ended up with Katara at the end, but here is the thing.
What if the creators were like: Okay, you want some canon Zutara? Fine. Here we have a firebender, who is just a little more caring than Zuko and a young girl from the Watertribe. The girl likes the firebender, but not otherwise. Now there is an earthbender who really likes her and respects her, but she does not like him directly back. He gets his hart broken ’caus she kisses the firebender (is this what you Zutarians want?) Now there is a black haired girl who is not as bland as Mai and she likes him and back, but due to the Watertribe girl, the firebender eventually ends up with her, and dumps Mai (sorry, Asami).
You see? This is what creators gave to Zutarians. And does that makes them satisfied?

>implying that Korra and Katara have the same personality

Jul 25, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

>implying that Korra and Katara have the same personality

TEH BRAWLER YOU ARE A MAKORRIAN

YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS PARTICULAR VESSEL ARE NULL

NULL I SAY

Jul 25, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT
Quote

Piano wrote:

TEH BRAWLER YOU ARE A MAKORRIAN

YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS PARTICULAR VESSEL ARE NULL

NULL I SAY

I CAN POINT OUT INCONSISTENCIES IN LOGIC IF I WANT TO

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:08PM EDT
Quote

I can control the most powerful element of ALL!

The element of surprise.

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:17PM EDT
Quote

I liked her as a character but it would be neat if they introduced some companions for her. Lots of the light-hearted fun of the original series was the interaction between the characters so it’s a little disappointing that this time they only have Korra and her pet with most of her interactions being between her and unfriendly strangers.[img]http://www.dubaa.info/good.gif[/img]

Jul 25, 2012 at 09:31PM EDT

Highest level of earth bending = Metal bending
Highest level of water bending = blood bending
Highest level of fire bending = Lighting bending

Whats the highest level of Air bending? I was thinking it would be something like sound bending, the ability to sense and create pressure waves in the air. Something that could be incredibly deadly and destructive, or a neat parlor trick depending on how its used.

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

I CAN POINT OUT INCONSISTENCIES IN LOGIC IF I WANT TO

NO BECAUSE MAKO IS A JERK AND YOUR SHIP MORALLY FLAWED

MORALLY

FLAWED

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:21AM EDT
Quote

Hauu! You must login or signup first!