Forums / General

195,639 total conversations in 5,384 threads

+ New Thread

Differenze linguistiche d'KYM

Last posted Mar 31, 2012 at 09:52AM EDT. Added Mar 24, 2012 at 10:58PM EDT
60 conversations with 37 participants

I’ve been considering making a thread for discussing languages for some time, but I wasn’t sure what to focus on. Today, when I was reminded of RandomMan’s Dutch swag, I figured I’d just toss it out there pretty much wide open.

So, in this thread, let other users know (all optional, of course):

• Your first language
  • Any other languages you know
    • Whether you speak/read/write them
    • How proficient you are in them
  • Any languages you are currently studying or are seriously considering studying
  • Other sorts of language facts about yourself such as
    • Computer languages you can code in
    • Artificial languages you know a bit about
    • Miscellaneous linguistic-related personal facts

As for myself, I’m a native English speaker, and I’ve been a grammar Nazi since about 7th grade. Since I came from a Jewish background, I studied Hebrew as a child and can still phonetically read it, although my vocabulary is probably less than 100 words. (I do know a bit of Yiddish as well.)

In high school, I studied Spanish (Mexican dialect, thankfully; someone commented to me the other day that it’s ridiculous to teach U.S. students Castillian) and eventually became fluent and traveled in Central America, but I’m very out of practice. In college, I took a semester of German, so I know just a bit of that, but not much.

For reasons unknown even to myself, I have recently started trying to learn Korean, Japanese, and Arabic simultaneously. I really need to settle on just one, I think, although I’ve made pretty good progress in the first two considering what a short amount of time I’ve spent.

I used to know a smattering of Klingon, but just didn’t find it interesting enough to pursue deeply. In order of proficiency from “expert” to “just barely get by”, I can code in: SQL, HTML, CSS, PHP, VBA, C++, and JavaScript. In kindergarten, instead of teaching my class the standard Latin alphabet, we were taught to read IPA. However, both my sister and I could read before we started kindergarten.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:58PM EDT

First language: English.
Other languages: Spanish
*Speak, read, and write.
*I’ve only taken three years in school. Not that much, but it’s better than nothing.

I learned a little Java over the summer and might try at it again this summer. (Making mods for minecraft.)

Not much else.
I took German for a little while in 5th grade. Teacher was so boring that I vowed never to return to that language.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT
  • First language: English
  • Also fluent in: Spanish, French (I speak Mexican and Castilian Spanish and understand pretty much all Spanish dialects, I speak Metropolitan French (i.e. from France) and I understand that and Quebec French – I have trouble with some of the African dialects)
  • Some comprehensibility of: Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, other Romance languages
  • Minimal comprehensibility of: Finnish, Russian, Mandarin
Mar 24, 2012 at 11:22PM EDT

First language: English.
Also fluent in: Nothing.
Some comprehensibility of: French, Gaelic.
Can write in, but not speak: Latin

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT

English is my first.
I know very basic french(barely)
I watch spanish telivision when there is nothing available.
I can speak with emoticons.
1337 $p3@k
I can do a little HTML
I can do a little bit of Java.

As much as I want to learn japanese, i never have the time… like for the last 3 hours i could have been trying, but nooo I go spend my time on youtube and KYM

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT

opspe wrote:

I have trouble with some of the African dialects

Yeah, some so-called “dialects” are really so far removed they’re not quite the same language. When I was in Nicaragua, I met a guy whose native language was the dialect of English spoken in Belize, and I could just barely communicate with him. I understood him better when he was speaking in Spanish.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:53PM EDT

I know English completely, as it is my first language. I’m currently learning German, but I hardly have scratched the surface and know but a handful of sentences. I can also speak, read and write Pterocäws, but the characters are not available with this keyboard.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:00AM EDT

ANN HIR® Dai-Oh wrote:

As much as I want to learn japanese, i never have the time… like for the last 3 hours i could have been trying, but nooo I go spend my time on youtube and KYM…

Actually, one of the myriad reasons I was bringing up this topic was that I was curious if there’s any overlap in languages people on KYM want to learn. If a bunch of us are interested in learning Japanese, maybe we could do something here on the forums? (For instance, I am rather curious as to the spelling (if that’s the correct term) of what I posted on Suiseiseki’s birthday thread. Google translate seemed to be insisting that was the correct way to say that, but I’m perplexed as to why.) After all, I would venture to guess that the language with the most Internet memes after English is probably 日本語, so we need more people who can understand it at least a little bit, right?

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:09AM EDT

I can speak English and… that’s it. I have a small understanding of Spanish, but not much.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:21AM EDT

First Language: Arabic
Second Language: English
Third Language:French (Can’t remember shit from my courses in Canada)

Seriously considering: German, Russian.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:32AM EDT

English is my first language, then I learned some rudimentary Italian when I vacationed in Italy. Then I took four years of German classes in high school.

Mar 25, 2012 at 01:03AM EDT

First Language: American English
Second Language: Japanese (two years training by American Highschool Standards)

Mar 25, 2012 at 01:04AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

First Language: American English
Second Language: Japanese (two years training by American Highschool Standards)

LUCKY
My high school district cancelled japanese when I was entering my freshman year…
oh sad face.

Mar 25, 2012 at 01:42AM EDT

This seems interesting.

First language: English
Second: Vietnamese
I can read, speak and write at an understandable level.
Third: French
I completely fail at French. I can read perfectly fine, and write with a bunch of incorrect verb conjugations and misplaced and misused pronouns, but when it comes to speaking, I completely draw a blank. You’d think that me being Canadian, and taking French for 6 years in middle and high school, I’d be good at it.
Others:I can understand a bit of Burmese from my father’s side of the family, but it’s pretty useless. I also took Japanese for a while, but I dropped out because I couldn’t understand anything at all.
Seriously considering: getting my cerebral cortex checked out to see why I’m so terrible at learning new languages. Really, I try, but it’s all so confusing to me :(.

Oh, I can do some basic JavaScript programming. And by basic I mean I have to switch between windows every 5 seconds to make sure I’m doing things right.

Last edited Mar 25, 2012 at 01:49AM EDT
Mar 25, 2012 at 01:47AM EDT

First Language:German
Second Language:English
Let’s just say: My written English is okay, and some people on KYM told me that it’s alright, but I hate talking in English because of my accent. I’m also a bit of a grammar nazi, which is kinda funny, seeing how my English isn’t perfect either.
Others:I took Latin-classes for almost 6 years now, and I can’t understand shit. Good thing I won’t have to graduate in it. I had the choice between Latin and French, and if I’d have the chance to choose again, I’d definitely choose French. Latin’s just a bitch and I hate it.
I also know a little bit of Japanese, just a few sentences and words, easy stuff. I’d like to learn more, but I can’t even keep up my school work, so that would be too much of a hassle for me atm.

Mar 25, 2012 at 05:38AM EDT

First Language: English

• Can speak, read and write English.
  • Have complete knowledge of English.
  • Language of Australia, my birthplace.

Second Language: Arabic

• I basically can only speak Arabic.
  • I have very little knowledge of it.
  • Language of Syria, my nation of descent as well as the birthplace for most of my family.
  • Currently learning the language at my school.
Mar 25, 2012 at 07:20AM EDT

First language: British English
Second language: US English

Yea, I’m really stretching it. I’m just a classless English-only monolingual bastard

Minimal comprehension of: Spanish, German, Maori

But only because I picked up tidbits of Spanish and German from forums where those languages are used. Maori get’s taught in schools but I never payed much attention to culture studies class.

Mar 25, 2012 at 07:34AM EDT

I’m surprised none of you spoke “Baby speak” as a very young child, that was my first language.

Mar 25, 2012 at 09:47AM EDT

First Language: Finnish

- Should I be glad that I’m fluent in one of the most difficult languages in the world?

- I never actually studied english in any special way. Just the basic stuff you learn in school. I just played a lot of games while growing up, and have a collection of 150+ manga comics, all in english, which I’ve been collecting since I was 13. Ironically enough, I know nothing of proper grammar. I just write it, and everything seems to fall into place nicely.

Unfortunately I don’t have much experience in speaking english, so I probably sound a lot like Kimi Räikkönen. I guess I’m in somewhat similar situation as Aristo.

Other languages: Minimal Swedish

- Yeah, I have the very basic understanding of the language, but I can neither speak or write it well. I can understand it a bit better when spoken, but still not much…

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:31PM EDT

Second Language: Japanese
Some Comprehensibility: Spanish
Minimal Comprehensibility: French, Gaelic

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:34PM EDT

Muumi wrote:

First Language: Finnish

- Should I be glad that I’m fluent in one of the most difficult languages in the world?

- I never actually studied english in any special way. Just the basic stuff you learn in school. I just played a lot of games while growing up, and have a collection of 150+ manga comics, all in english, which I’ve been collecting since I was 13. Ironically enough, I know nothing of proper grammar. I just write it, and everything seems to fall into place nicely.

Unfortunately I don’t have much experience in speaking english, so I probably sound a lot like Kimi Räikkönen. I guess I’m in somewhat similar situation as Aristo.

Other languages: Minimal Swedish

- Yeah, I have the very basic understanding of the language, but I can neither speak or write it well. I can understand it a bit better when spoken, but still not much…

Is it true that Swedish is mandatory in Finnish schools? I find that pretty stupid, since the only people that need to know Swedish are Swedes. It’s completely useless outside of that one country, and even though Sweden is a nice place, a language like Spanish, German, or French would be infinitely more useful in the real world.

Mar 25, 2012 at 02:30PM EDT

First Language: Dutch
- I’m also able to read and understand various Dutch dialects. Although I can’t write or speak them. Reason for this is that I grew up in an area where people tend to speak in dialect. Every now and then I throw in some dialect when speaking, but nothing notably big.

- I can speak, read and write English nearly fluently (although I have a small accent when speaking). Got classes on it in High School and one year in College. Passed with good grades. I mess up a bit every now and then, but nothing notably big.

Other Language: German
- I can read and understand German. Writing and speaking a tiny bit, but I wouldn’t consider it good. I got German classes in high school, plus I live near the German border. The dialect they speak here has stuff in common with German, so the step isn’t as big compared to other parts of the Netherlands.

- I also got French classes in high school. But French was literally my worst subject, so I don’t consider my knowledge of French notable at all.

Computer Language: It’s limited to the html and textile we use on KYM. Besides that, my knowledge is minimal.

Last edited Mar 25, 2012 at 02:42PM EDT
Mar 25, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT

First Language: English and Japanese (My parrents speak both), though I am not as fluent in Japanese anymore…

Mar 25, 2012 at 02:43PM EDT

First Language:
English.

Second Language:
If American English counts then that’s good enough!

I know a bit of:
French, I’ll forget it all soon enough.

Info:

I speak good English, after all I am English.

I know some French and I understand the connectivity between all European languages.

My Dad lived in Italy for a while, My mum lived in Spain for a while.

Last edited Mar 25, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT
Mar 25, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

Is it true that Swedish is mandatory in Finnish schools? I find that pretty stupid, since the only people that need to know Swedish are Swedes. It’s completely useless outside of that one country, and even though Sweden is a nice place, a language like Spanish, German, or French would be infinitely more useful in the real world.

Yeah, it’s mandatory, which really sucks.

There’s some need for swedish on the coastal area, but even here, I rarely hear anyone speak it. It’s even more useless in the inland and down south. And still we need to waste a lot of time studying a language, which most of us will never use.

Because it’s mandatory, and since many finns hold a certain grudge towards the swedish, many people have strong opinions about this particular matter. The students (especially guys) don’t like swedish, and forcing them to study it causes them to hate it even more, which in turn cuts into the grades they get from those classes. And from personal experience, I can say that after those classes are through, everyone just forgets everything they learned from them. It’s a lose/lose situation for those without interest/talent in the language.

Swedish being a mandatory school subject is basically under constant debate here.

Mar 25, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

First Language : French (Quebec French)
I speak french 70% of my time IRL

Second Language : English (A mix between Slang & Actual English).
I speak English when I’m on the internet or randomly.I’m not as good in english as in french.However,I can handle pretty well

Other : I know some word in latin.Also,I know Bronyspeak (If you consider this as a language).

Last edited Mar 26, 2012 at 03:50AM EDT
Mar 26, 2012 at 03:34AM EDT

Secondary: EXTREMELY MINIMAL amounts of Spanish. Took it in 7th and 8th grade. The class was nice, but the majority of the time, the teacher spent more time disciplining the douchebag students instead of actually teaching the class.

Code: I know a decent amount of Flash Actionscript 2.0 and trace amounts of Actionscript 3.0. I’m planning on learning more about both (ideally) but am going to be working more on AS3.0 sometime soon, as I’m getting ready to start making a game in Flash for my deviantArt account. Other than that, I’ve learned a tiny bit of HTML and CSS in College as of now, although I discontinued learning it. I wanna devote more of my time to art instead of Web.

Mar 26, 2012 at 03:45AM EDT

First Language:
Serbian

Second Language:
German / Swiss German

Can speak “fluent”:
English, still not perfect.

Mar 26, 2012 at 04:37AM EDT

First Language: French (Mediterranean French if I have to be specific)

Second Language: English. Main subject of my studies. I think I’m fluent enough even though I still make mistakes when I both write and speak. But anyway, even being a French native, I do make mistakes in that language as well, like pretty much more than 80% of our population.

Knows bits of: Italian (got 5 years of it in High school/College but pretty much all of it is gone now), Memespeak, really few Japanese words.

Last edited Mar 26, 2012 at 11:20AM EDT
Mar 26, 2012 at 07:45AM EDT

Tomberry wrote:

First Language: French (Mediterranean French if I have to be specific)

Second Language: English. Main subject of my studies. I think I’m fluent enough even though I still make mistakes when I both write and speak. But anyway, even being a French native, I do make mistakes in that language as well, like pretty much more than 80% of our population.

Knows bits of: Italian (got 5 years of it in High school/College but pretty much all of it is gone now), Memespeak, really few Japanese words.

Dat accént.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:04AM EDT

First Language: American. (NOT English. Why? Because reasons.)
Second Language: I can read and write Latin, and I am gradually moving up to speaking it. Of course, lot of good that’ll do me in the current world…
Third Language: Hawaiian Pidgin, which is a heckuva lot of fun to speak!
Want to learn: Japanese, (so I am all for a little Japanese course on KYM), Spanish, and Greek.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:15AM EDT

Quantume Memé wrote:

Dat accént.

This instinctive reflex is hard to repress.

Last edited Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23AM EDT
Mar 26, 2012 at 11:22AM EDT

dravitar wrote:

First Language: American. (NOT English. Why? Because reasons.)
Second Language: I can read and write Latin, and I am gradually moving up to speaking it. Of course, lot of good that’ll do me in the current world…
Third Language: Hawaiian Pidgin, which is a heckuva lot of fun to speak!
Want to learn: Japanese, (so I am all for a little Japanese course on KYM), Spanish, and Greek.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:00PM EDT

I am in Spanish 1 at school right now(lol), but apparently, my Spanish 1 is like other district’s Spanish 3.
I want to learn: Japanese (Because it seems like a fun language to speak) and Portuguese, because for no real reason, I have always liked Portugal.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:18PM EDT
  • First language: Brazilian Portuguese – native
  • Second language: American English – fluent
  • Third language: German – fluent but with mistakes, as there is no way to know which word goes with which article :/
    damn you der die das!!!
    lived 5 years in Germany though, so, still pretty good at it :)
  • Minimal knowledge of Spanish (though I understand almost everything as it is very similar to Portuguese)
  • Ridiculous knowledge of HTML
  • Would like to learn Japanese as well, but should actually learn Dutch, since I live in the Netherlands…
Last edited Mar 26, 2012 at 12:41PM EDT
Mar 26, 2012 at 12:40PM EDT

Also fluent in: Internet
Can get by with: French, HTML, SQL sorta barely
Are probably not languages but are to me: MARC, Dublin Core (metadata/cataloging stuff)

Last edited Mar 26, 2012 at 06:45PM EDT
Mar 26, 2012 at 06:45PM EDT

jubru wrote:

• First language: Brazilian Portuguese – native
  • Second language: American English – fluent
  • Third language: German – fluent but with mistakes, as there is no way to know which word goes with which article :/
    damn you der die das!!!
    lived 5 years in Germany though, so, still pretty good at it :)
  • Minimal knowledge of Spanish (though I understand almost everything as it is very similar to Portuguese)
  • Ridiculous knowledge of HTML
  • Would like to learn Japanese as well, but should actually learn Dutch, since I live in the Netherlands…

Being fluent in German should help you a bit with learning Dutch.

But nonetheless, good luck. The language is a bitch for people who aren’t from here.

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT

I only know English which Is sad because my family is Cuban, What I’d do to learn Spanish.

Mar 26, 2012 at 06:58PM EDT

A good chunk of users want to learn japanese…

I / ME = Watashi.
there i’m helping. let put together some other basic words and phrases.

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Being fluent in German should help you a bit with learning Dutch.

But nonetheless, good luck. The language is a bitch for people who aren’t from here.

True, I can understand a lot; but too lazy to learn how to speak….
Also, guttural sounds are a bitch for Latins like me – the Gs and Rs kill me!

Mar 27, 2012 at 05:31AM EDT

jubru wrote:

True, I can understand a lot; but too lazy to learn how to speak….
Also, guttural sounds are a bitch for Latins like me – the Gs and Rs kill me!

For some reason, I find pronunciation issues funny. I mentioned elsewhere that my grandparents once hosted a Japanese exchange student; there’s a funny story that I remember very clearly for some reason (at least it was funny to me).

My grandparents took this Japanese girl, her friend, and me to the county fair, figuring it would be a great place to get a feel for local culture I guess. When we picked up her friend, my grandmother asked, “So, what is your friend’s name?”

The girl said, “Huyuko.”

My grandmother replied, “Oh, Hooyookoh, is it?”

“No,” the girl corrected her, “Huyuko.”

“That’s what I said, isn’t it?” my grandmother asked with confusion in her voice. “Hooyookoh?”

“No,” the girl corrected her once again, “Huyuko.”

At this point, I leaned over and asked, “Huyuko, right?” Both the girls nodded enthusiastically, and started giggling.

“I don’t understand what the difference is between what I’m saying and what you are,” my grandmother said frustratingly.

I shrugged. “You know what, Gramma? I can hear it, but I don’t think I could possibly explain it, sorry.”

So… that’s my story, which I always laugh when remembering, even though it’s probably nonsensical to anyone else, so, there you go. I’ve heard that it’s common for people to lose their ability to discern most sounds in foreign languages after about five years old. Although I’m not always successful at learning languages, I seem to be very god at picking up differences in sounds. (Actually, in studying Arabic so far, I found that there are one or two consonant sounds that I can tell the difference between, but can’t figure out how to make my mouth say them.)

Mar 28, 2012 at 01:40AM EDT

Brucker wrote: “there are one or two consonant sounds that I can tell the difference between, but can’t figure out how to make my mouth say them.” (didnt want to quote the whole thing)

Yes! I know exactly what you are saying! I hear the difference, cannot pronounce it though… so frustrating :(

Mar 28, 2012 at 07:25AM EDT
  • First language: Greek
    Native Speaker, STILL making Grammatical mistakes!

• Other languages: English
    I have been studying English for almost 10 years!
    I have the Cambridge Level 1 Certification of English (ESOL) passed with Grade C
    and the Certificate of competency in English of Michigan
    I speak and write in English everyday, so my skill have been improved (…I hope)
Last edited Mar 28, 2012 at 08:49PM EDT
Mar 28, 2012 at 08:45PM EDT

Native Speaker

Other Languages:
Japanese
Although I’m not fluent at all I’m making progress. I’ve been learning for about 4 years as a subject at school but as I said, I’m not a fluent, just okay.

My family speaks Hindi and English but for some reason I was never taught Hindi (which makes for awkward family gatherings.

Also: ANNHIRO reminds me of this -

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:08AM EDT

@ cyber….
I’ll share just a little bit of knowledge with you right now…
Watashi wa, anata ga daikiraidesu.
BTW i rarely even use the word kawaii.

desu, after seeing rozen maiden, i had little phase while growing…
Baka no hitotsu no oboe
a fool only knows one thing… and thats my only japanese phrase i use frequently…

Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 02:46AM EDT
Mar 29, 2012 at 02:42AM EDT

I know only a few sentences in Spanish. Even though my parents talked Spanish all the time i never picked it up.

And those are all the languages. Unless you count 1337.

Mar 29, 2012 at 02:59AM EDT

01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100110 01101100 01110101 01100101 01101110 01110100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110011 01101001 01111000 00100000 01101101 01101001 01101100 01101100 01101001 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101110 01101001 01100011 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110

Mar 29, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

@ cyber….
I’ll share just a little bit of knowledge with you right now…
Watashi wa, anata ga daikiraidesu.
BTW i rarely even use the word kawaii.

desu, after seeing rozen maiden, i had little phase while growing…
Baka no hitotsu no oboe
a fool only knows one thing… and thats my only japanese phrase i use frequently…

あなたはぼくは大きらいですか。でも、ぼくはあなたが好きです!あなたは日本語がじょうずです。よく 日本語ではなしますか。

Mar 29, 2012 at 04:09AM EDT

Ei helvetti. Tää ei oo ensimmäinen kerta kun väki rupee vääntämään tekstiä langassa kielellä jota kukaan muu ei ymmärrä.

Ja Google kääntäjä antaa aivan perhanan läppiä käännöksiä kuten tavallista.

What I actually said:

Damn it. This isn’t the first time people start pulling off text in a thread with a language no-one else understands.

And Google translator gives funny as hell translations as usual.

What Google translator thinks I said:

Hell no. MPLIANCEWITH oo is the first time that people start to pry the text language of the yarn that no one else does not understand.

And the google translator gives a whole damn flaps translations as usual.
Last edited Mar 29, 2012 at 08:28AM EDT
Mar 29, 2012 at 08:27AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!