I’ve been considering making a thread for discussing languages for some time, but I wasn’t sure what to focus on. Today, when I was reminded of RandomMan’s Dutch swag, I figured I’d just toss it out there pretty much wide open.
So, in this thread, let other users know (all optional, of course):
- Your first language
- Any other languages you know
- Whether you speak/read/write them
- How proficient you are in them
- Any languages you are currently studying or are seriously considering studying
- Other sorts of language facts about yourself such as
- Computer languages you can code in
- Artificial languages you know a bit about
- Miscellaneous linguistic-related personal facts
As for myself, I’m a native English speaker, and I’ve been a grammar Nazi since about 7th grade. Since I came from a Jewish background, I studied Hebrew as a child and can still phonetically read it, although my vocabulary is probably less than 100 words. (I do know a bit of Yiddish as well.)
In high school, I studied Spanish (Mexican dialect, thankfully; someone commented to me the other day that it’s ridiculous to teach U.S. students Castillian) and eventually became fluent and traveled in Central America, but I’m very out of practice. In college, I took a semester of German, so I know just a bit of that, but not much.
For reasons unknown even to myself, I have recently started trying to learn Korean, Japanese, and Arabic simultaneously. I really need to settle on just one, I think, although I’ve made pretty good progress in the first two considering what a short amount of time I’ve spent.