Forums / Discussion / General

168,532 total conversations in 5,397 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Mod AMA: opspe

Last posted Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06AM EST. Added Apr 03, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT
143 posts from 43 users

Tell me,the all mighty fagg OP,What is best weapon
Paper Katana,Plastic Kinfe,Straw, Fully Automatic Nade Launcher

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:29AM EDT

What the hell does The Art and Architecture of the Ancient Near East have to do with honors chemistry?

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:52AM EDT
Quote

First. You stated that you don’t like anime, so I want to ask if there’s some specific reason you don’t like it, or is it just that you haven’t found anything to challenge your intellect?

Second. Which is better in your opinion? Lucky Luke, or Asterix? I’m asking this because you seem to be familiar with european comics.

And third. What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Apr 04, 2012 at 10:14AM EDT
Quote

Muumi wrote:

First. You stated that you don’t like anime, so I want to ask if there’s some specific reason you don’t like it, or is it just that you haven’t found anything to challenge your intellect?

Second. Which is better in your opinion? Lucky Luke, or Asterix? I’m asking this because you seem to be familiar with european comics.

And third. What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

>Implying Lucky Luke isn’t the best European comic.

Last edited Apr 04, 2012 at 11:06AM EDT
Apr 04, 2012 at 11:05AM EDT
Quote

Brucker: There are one or two things incorrect about that. Firstly, I grew up in Portland, OR. Secondly, there is no Prom in Canada. Thirdly, Yes.


404: 42. See previous answers.


RandomMan: I hate those goddamn word problems. But, I’ll solve it nonetheless.

And here’s the answer. The trains collide at 13:39, 5.2 km from Station A. However, at the time of the crash, both trains are equidistant from Station A.

Now about modship. I would much rather be an Entry Mod. I think you summed up my opinions pretty well there. Also, if you read my post,

…not being (or frankly wanting to be) a Forum Mod…

It says how I don’t want to be a Forum Mod.


Aristo: Because Portland has the most amazing doughnuts in the world. Ask Amanda.


Max_Cobar: Of those you listed, katana.


burning_phoneix: Absolutely nothing. I’m taking a course on the Ancient Near East because I like archaeology. I’ve also done courses on the archaeology of North and Latin America


Muumi: Oof, that’s a complicated one. There are number of reasons why I don’t like anime. Firstly, I think one of the big appeals that anime has for white people is its exoticness. Vancouver has an extremely large Asian population (like 45% of the city as a whole, but up to 75% depending on where you are), so it is in no way exotic here. I was telling this to Verbose the other day; I think it’s one of the main reasons why there are so few weeaboos here. And what’s more, it seems to me like weeaboos are cherry-picking what they consider to be the best aspects of Japanese culture without understanding how they fit into the culture as a whole. So, to me, it seems like weeaboos are no different than wiggers (no offence to anyone here). I also just really dislike the design for some reason. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just annoys me.

Second, Asterix. Sorry RM. I actually haven’t read much Lucky Luke anyways.

Third, African or European?


CitationNeeded #4: Erm…you could ask me why I’m so great?

Last edited Apr 04, 2012 at 11:14AM EDT
Apr 04, 2012 at 11:12AM EDT
Quote

Muumi wrote:

Muumi: Oof, that’s a complicated one. There are number of reasons why I don’t like anime. Firstly, I think one of the big appeals that anime has for white people is its exoticness. Vancouver has an extremely large Asian population (like 45% of the city as a whole, but up to 75% depending on where you are), so it is in no way exotic here. I was telling this to Verbose the other day; I think it’s one of the main reasons why there are so few weeaboos here. And what’s more, it seems to me like weeaboos are cherry-picking what they consider to be the best aspects of Japanese culture without understanding how they fit into the culture as a whole. So, to me, it seems like weeaboos are no different than wiggers (no offence to anyone here). I also just really dislike the design for some reason. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just annoys me.


To be fair, not everyone who likes anime is a “weeaboo”. I don’t care much for it (read: I kinda hate it), but still.

Also, question: Why am I asking you so many questions?

Apr 04, 2012 at 12:03PM EDT
Quote

Firstly, I think one of the big appeals that anime has for white people is its exoticness. Vancouver has an extremely large Asian population (like 45% of the city as a whole, but up to 75% depending on where you are), so it is in no way exotic here. I was telling this to Verbose the other day; I think it’s one of the main reasons why there are so few weeaboos here. And what’s more, it seems to me like weeaboos are cherry-picking what they consider to be the best aspects of Japanese culture without understanding how they fit into the culture as a whole. So, to me, it seems like weeaboos are no different than wiggers (no offence to anyone here)

Hmm, this is interesting.

What’s curious about your point of view here is that you immediately brought up Weeaboos even though they are unrelated to the question. Perhaps not intentionally; you were implying that watching and enjoying anime means that you must be part of the Weeaboo subculture or that watching anime is exclusive to Weeaboos. To help you see what I find curious about that, I’ll just rephrase your quote so you can see how I read it:

Firstly, I think one of the big appeals that MLP:FiM has for 20-something males is its exoticness. Vancouver has an extremely large little girl population so it is in no way exotic here. I think it’s one of the main reasons why there are so few Bronies here. And what’s more, it seems to me like Bronies are cherry-picking what they consider to be the best aspects of Internet culture without understanding how they fit into the culture as a whole. So, to me, it seems like Bronies are no different than Juggalos (no offence to anyone here)

I watch anime just to enjoy the show, not out of any interest in the Weeaboo fandom. In the same way that some people watch MLP just to enjoy the show and not out of any interest in the Brony fandom

For example I helped myself to the entire series of Avatar: The last Airbender simply because I liked the storyline and plot even though I have no particular interest in Japanese culture. I’m sure most people who like Anime have similar reasoning: We just enjoy a good cartoon.

I wonder if you have ever thought about watching Anime just to enjoy a good show, without letting your perception of any associated labels cloud your enjoyment nor any fear you might have of having anything to do with them

PS: I’m not saying you should go watch anime right now. Just offering something to consider if not considered already

PPS: Then again if you don’t like the art style you will probably find it difficult to enjoy the storylines anyway. That’s fair enough

Apr 04, 2012 at 12:27PM EDT
Quote

One of the more successful AMA’s belongs to a person whose “M” does not stand for moderator. Your thoughts.


@phoneix

I’m a fan of anime like opspe is a fan of FiM, so I’m not quite as fervent as others, but I still get excited at the prospect of Toonami returning to Cartoon Network. As such, I don’t think being Japanese originally makes something anime. I think anime has come to be a style of animation, expression, and plot, and shows like The Boondocks and Avatar have that feel. The Boondocks doesn’t have much overarching story, but Avatar most certainly does.

Apr 04, 2012 at 12:53PM EDT
Quote

CitationNeeded and BSOD bring up interesting points that never occurred to me. I generally have always considered people who like anime to be weeaboos to some extent; I guess that’s because of my personal bias on the issue.


CitationNeeded #5: Because you loooove me.


Verbose: I was thinking about why this is became so successful, and I think it’s a combination of the fact that it’s the first one in months, and that I’m interesting. Not to say that you guys aren’t.

Apr 04, 2012 at 01:10PM EDT
Quote

opspe wrote:

…I’m interesting. Not to say that you guys aren’t.

Oh, go ahead and say it. It’ll relieve the tension we’re all feeling since we know it’s true.

Apr 04, 2012 at 03:12PM EDT
Quote

Oh, I didn’t have one, but that’s because the AMA’s happened before I received modship. I don’t really care to have one, because people just ask me stuff on my wall, because I don’t like the attention, and because of what Brucker said.

Apr 04, 2012 at 03:22PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Oh, I didn’t have one, but that’s because the AMA’s happened before I received modship. I don’t really care to have one, because people just ask me stuff on my wall, because I don’t like the attention, and because of what Brucker said.

Even though that’s true, Mister J and Teh Brawler gave each other one. Followed by Teh Brawler giving Platus one as well.

I can make one for you if you want. Would be unfair to leave you behind.

Last edited Apr 04, 2012 at 03:26PM EDT
Apr 04, 2012 at 03:25PM EDT
Quote

if you could be an animal, what would you be?

what do you want to be when you grow up?

what’s your all time favorite meme?

if you could meet a person who is the object of a meme who would it be?

Apr 04, 2012 at 04:55PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Even though that’s true, Mister J and Teh Brawler gave each other one. Followed by Teh Brawler giving Platus one as well.

I can make one for you if you want. Would be unfair to leave you behind.

Oh, yeah. I forgot. I guess they did.

I don’t really care to have one, because people (can) just ask me stuff on my wall, because I don’t like the attention, and because of what Brucker said.

I don’t like attention. I’d prefer people just ask me at their leisure on my wall than in a formal thread.

Apr 04, 2012 at 04:56PM EDT
Quote

Verbose wrote:

Oh, yeah. I forgot. I guess they did.

I don’t really care to have one, because people (can) just ask me stuff on my wall, because I don’t like the attention, and because of what Brucker said.

I don’t like attention. I’d prefer people just ask me at their leisure on my wall than in a formal thread.

As you can see in this one and other AMAs, people ask nonsense most of the time.

But if your rather not have an AMA, then so be it.

Apr 04, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT
Quote

Amanda: Ah, the old animal question. Let’s see…probably like a Capuchin or something, so that I would at least retain some cognitive faculty.

What do I want to be when I grow up? Uhhh….it’s a bit too late for that, I’m afraid.

My all-time favourite meme, in the strict sense of the word, would either be ’60s Spiderman or Tenso.

If I could meet the object of a meme, it would clearly be The Most Interesting Man in the World. We would have so much to discuss.


Jeffrey: About average, given my ethnicity. I’ll leave it to you to look up what that is, since you’re so interested.

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:31PM EDT
Quote

So I herd u liek DnB. Can you do this dance though?

(Dat song…)

Apr 04, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT
Quote

Algernon: I’ve seen people doing that, but I can’t come close.


Bob #2: Well they both have moves. I don’t know if Rocky has the flexibility to do certain moves, but he might be able to outlast Bill. Bill has his whole “floobity doobity” thing going, but I’m unsure how exactly that could be translated into dancing – it may just look like him having an epileptic fit. It’s a close call, but I’m going to have to go with Rocky. Because if worst comes to worst, he could just punch the crap out of Bill and win by default.

Apr 04, 2012 at 08:17PM EDT
Quote

So, opspe, I remember you once said something about getting to know a compatriot of mine. Where was he from btw, and was he a good representant of my beloved Green and Yellow land?

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT
Quote

Dr. Greg: I have known several Brazilians in my time on this Earth; four to be exact. One from São Paolo who I met in middle school, one from Salvador who I met in high school, and two from Brasília who I met in 1st year of university. Interestingly, the one from Salvador looks almost exactly like you. E também, eram brasileiros exemplares.


Twins: I’ve never seen bagged milk in BC either. It’s probably an Ontario thing.

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:39PM EDT
Quote

I recall bagged Milk during my childhood in Calgary. Or I could be imagining it and confusing my time in Ontario and Alberta into one indistinguishable blur.

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:42PM EDT
Quote

Algernon wrote:

So I herd u liek DnB. Can you do this dance though?

(Dat song…)

Haha! The next time I go to the clubs I am definitely going to try dancing like this guy. Thanks for this.

(And yes, Dat song. I love it.)


Back to opspe:

On that subject, have you ever been on the club scene?

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:56PM EDT
Quote

You guys don’t have bagged milk?!
Yeah Ontario has it.
It is much greater value than a carton.
For example: 2L of Milk is $3.75 or 4L for $4.75
It may be because bagged milk is subsidized by the government. Just like eggs

Now, the question:
Why don’t you guys have bagged milk?! What the hell.

Apr 04, 2012 at 09:57PM EDT

Milk only ever comes in plastic jugs here. Bagged milk is completely unheard of. I’d say we don’t have it because nobody ever thought of it.

If I ever go to Canada, I’ll bring some milk bags back to NZ just to make people marvel at such alien and mysterious technology

Last edited Apr 04, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT
Apr 04, 2012 at 10:15PM EDT
Quote

You’re a well-balanced person, no?

So what do you want to be more knowledgeable about? Or better at?
 
(Also, 22 isn’t too old to be grown up, opspe.)

Apr 04, 2012 at 10:24PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Milk only ever comes in plastic jugs here. Bagged milk is completely unheard of. I’d say we don’t have it because nobody ever thought of it.

If I ever go to Canada, I’ll bring some milk bags back to NZ just to make people marvel at such alien and mysterious technology

Too bad you Kiwis are suffering under a Marmite shortage or you could trade some if with the Natives of that cold foreign land for bagged milk.

Apr 04, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT
Quote

BSOD: Yes, I have been on the club scene. It’s not my favourite thing to do, but I do enjoy the occasional DnB show. Or hip hop show. Or dubstep show.

One reason I don’t like it is because the clubs here in Vancouver are REALLY expensive. You can easily drop $40 on yourself, let alone if you meet someone.


Ivan: Who knows. I blame Gordon Campbell.


Verbose: I wish I knew more about history. I know about some history, but I could stand to know a lot more. I’m a bit envious of some of the courses my friends are taking, such as the History of the Soviet Union. I also wish I was a bit better at forcing myself to work on my thesis. But it’ll get done. Eventually.

Apr 04, 2012 at 10:40PM EDT
Quote

$40 bucks for a club? Im moving to Vancouver. Turns out Toronto IS expensive.

2 beers and a sandwich (nvm paying the “fee” to get in)
Shitty clubs: $140
So-so clubs: $190
Im-made-of-money-so-I-can-afford-it-clubs: $240

Just 2 weeks ago I paid $140, told them thats insane, they told it was fine.
Turns out they were the cheapest.

Question:
What do you think is the cheapest place to live in (Buying food, housing, entertainment) (North America)?

Apr 04, 2012 at 11:11PM EDT

Those ARE expensive clubs

The ones I go to are free to enter and 40 bucks will give you 4 shots and 2 margarita’s. Or a dinner for two.

Apr 04, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT
Quote

How long is it taking you to answer these questions with such lovely syntax, spelling and vocabulary? Is it coming naturally to you, do you take quite a while, or do you have some kind of spelling and grammar checker?

Last edited Apr 04, 2012 at 11:32PM EDT
Apr 04, 2012 at 11:31PM EDT
Quote

BSOD and Ivan: What sort of clubs do you go to that serve dinner? I have NEVER seen that.


Ivan: The cheapest? Oh, I’d say somewhere no one wants to live, like Reno. Those casino buffets are damn cheap. Plus it has none of the class that Vegas does, so there’s no pretentiously high house prices.


RPP: It tends comes naturally to me thanks to years and years of writing essays, but I do have spell check in my browser. Plus I like to make myself sound smarter than I am by using lots of big words.

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:14AM EDT
Quote

There are a few clubs out there that serve food such as chips, pies and hot dogs. That might sound like snacks and foodstuffs to you but in New Zealand we call that dinner.

Such a service isn’t limited to any particular kind of Club. Some do it, others don’t

But such clubs that serve food are rare, since it is hard to compete with the local late night pie shop. Pie shops must get so much money from drunks

Last edited Apr 05, 2012 at 12:22AM EDT
Apr 05, 2012 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

Would a “Falcon Punch Collision”, or “FPC”, really destroy the universe?

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT

BSOD: Ah, pies. So English of you. Here they just have disgustingly greasy pizza and disgustingly greasy donairs.


Thomas: Well, maybe not the whole universe, but a small part of it to be sure. And the Earth, absolutely. Although I have heard rumours that such an FPC was what caused the Big Bang, so it’s hard to be sure.

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:56AM EDT
Quote

You’ve got two options: hugging your grandmother while she’s dying from a painful tumor in bed in the middle of an earthquake that might crumble the roof above her, or killing a beloved pet before the Thing posseses its body and tries killing everyone else (note: you have already killed your brother and girlfriend and you don’t even know if you’ve got the Thing inside you yet). Which one would make you cry more and/or react as a badass hero?

Also: How many dicks have you seen on the forums, comments and IRC while you have been an active KYM user (pro tip: be honest…)?

Last edited Apr 05, 2012 at 01:05AM EDT
Apr 05, 2012 at 12:59AM EDT
Quote

Sigmund Freud: I see dicks wherever I look. Especially in Aristo’s Dick Drawing Thread. Now, as for your ethical dilemma, I think I’ll take the latter option. Employees Family are the rungs on the ladder to success – don’t be hesitant to step on them.


Cite: Funny you should ask that. The research group I’m working in has two sections: lasers (specifically Raman spectroscopy), and plasmas (specifically ultracold molecular plasmas). Since I work with lasers, I’m going to have to say that laser rifles are the best.

Apr 05, 2012 at 01:41AM EDT
Quote

Is heightism a matter of any real concern? (Of course, it’s just a thrown together word, just like able-ism (height-ism))

Apr 05, 2012 at 01:46AM EDT
Quote

If Jack and Jill went up the hill and Fred traded Dave three apples for 12 grapes each, what color socks am I wearing? True or False?

Apr 05, 2012 at 01:52AM EDT
Quote

Verbose: If it does exist, heightism is pretty subconscious. It has more to do with general attitudes than outright discrimination. And I think you probably know that.


Bob: The Game.

Apr 05, 2012 at 02:20AM EDT
Quote

…,…….I’m going against my better judgement and asking a question.
How did you decide that you wanted to become a chemist?
I lied. It’s two questions.
How does TF2 compare to TFC in your opinion? Do you like it or hate it in comparison to the old game? If so, why? Details are preferable on both inquiries.

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:21AM EDT
Quote

What should Germany have focused on in the pivotal point in WWII: Winning the Battle of Britain or giving the Africa Corp the support it needed to push to the Iraqi oil fields?

Apr 05, 2012 at 11:35AM EDT
Quote

Howdy! You must login or signup first!