Forums / General

195,804 total conversations in 5,395 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Mod AMA: opspe

Last posted Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06AM EST. Added Apr 03, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT
143 conversations with 43 participants

Those are both excellent questions, Pyro.

1:

I remember back in elementary school, we would have “Library” once a week, where we’d go to the school library for an hour or so to just read. I almost always got the same book; it was an old book about chemistry, probably intended for high schoolers or something. I used to read it over and over, because I thought it was really cool. And I liked the illustrations – there’s something to be said for hand-drawn illustrations in textbooks. And, of course, my parents noticed that, and since they’re both hold Masters’ in Botany, they encouraged my interest in science.

Another thing that I used to love doing as a kid was going to a museum in Portland called OMSI – the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. If anyone who’s reading this ever visits Portland, I recommend that you check it out – it’s amazing. A lot of it consists of interactive exhibits geared towards kids, and they have their own chem lab, where you can go try little experiments and see demos – that’s where I picked up the tip about burning sugar mixed with potassium chlorate. I used to absolutely love going there, and it only furthered my early interest in chemistry. Actually, in the summer of 2010, I worked in that lab, and it was as much fun as being a visitor.

Flash forwards to grade 10 in high school. That’s when I took my first chemistry class; I really enjoyed it, and my teacher was pretty awesome. And I was good at it, which helped. So I took Chem 3-4 (the second level one) the next year, and did an IB test in it. Then, when it came time to apply for university in grade 12, I decided to major in chemistry. And here I am now, on my last day of undergraduate class, well on my way to getting a Bachelor’s in Honours Chem. Well worth the trip, I think.

2:

As you may know, I was an avid TFC player in high school. So much so that I was a pretty serious clanner. As such, I got into TF2 very early on. But the two are so vastly different that it’s difficult to compare them. There are many things about TF2 that I like that TFC just doesn’t have, and many more things about TFC that I like that TF2 doesn’t have. Here’s a brief list of some of them:

TF2: The ability to move buildings (this is a big one), the variety of weapons (although that may be getting a bit much now), the fact that the pyro’s flamethrower is actually useful, sticky bombs, ubercharges, and payload maps

TFC: The much greater range and variety of maps that were available (honestly, a lot of TF2 maps aren’t great), Grenades (especially napalm grenades), AIDS (the medic’s infection), the general toughness of sentries and the hwguy (heavy), gibbing players with a fully-charged sniper shot, and certain map modes, such as assassination, escape, and hide-and-seek (WAY better than prophunt)

So, all in all, they’re very different games, and I can’t really say if I like one more than the other.

burning_phoneix:

I think that the mentality at the time marginalised the importance of the Africa Corps, because they were, well, in Africa. Germany knew that gaining access to the oil in Iraq was important, but I think that because it was populated by Arabs, who I’m sure they considered lesser humans (no offense), they didn’t see it as much of a challenge, so it wasn’t their main focus. Britain, however, was seen as the biggest threat to the Fatherland, so they took actions against her. And plus, since Britain had had the Palestinian Mandate since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the Germans knew that if they took Britain, they would gain access to Iraq all the same.

Now, as for what they should have done. I tend to think that they should have invested more in the DAK, and maybe not hit Britain so hard, at least not at first, because gaining access to those strategic resources could have made all the difference. Don’t get me wrong, some bombing campaigns over Britain would have been necessary too, but Britain was a much more formidable target than North Africa.

Apr 05, 2012 at 12:01PM EDT

Now that I’m an mod, I get to force myself into the spotlight again! My AMA is back, so please, bombard me with questions – any and all are accepted! I’ll do my best to answer them ASAP with vacation internet.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:55PM EDT

Describe the feeling of both deadpooling and confirming an entry.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:56PM EDT

RandomMan: It felt rather like choosing an option from a drop-down menu.

ANN HIRO: I got it from some loser in the IRC, but I can’t remember his name…

heh, thanks though. It’s a nice one.

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 07:58PM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 07:57PM EDT

What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:11PM EDT

I like listening to music a lot. There are a few other things that I enjoy, but I don’t NECESSARILY need to go into details here haha

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:24PM EDT

Verbose: Baby you know I totally would, but I don’t think my boyfriend would be too appreciative. You better ask him yourself.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT

Calculate pi to the fortieth decimal point.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04PM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob: Blame RandomMan for unlocking it in the first place.

RF:

>2012
>Not looking pi up on Wikipedia
>3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:12PM EDT

opspe wrote:

HolyCrapItsBob: Blame RandomMan for unlocking it in the first place.

RF:

>2012
>Not looking pi up on Wikipedia
>3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:25PM EDT

And now for actual questions: What attracted you to chemistry? What field of chemistry do you want to be employed in?

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:41PM EDT

RF: Well, when I was a kid, I always liked playing with chemicals and making baking soda volcanoes and stuff. I’m not sure if any one thing attracted me to it, but I really like the idea of knowing what things are made of. That, and having the ability to read and understand ingredients labels for medicine and food and stuff. It’s come in handy before, especially seeing as how I have a photoallergy to organic-based sunscreens.

As for employment, my current research is in the paper industry, so hopefully I can get a job in a related field. I think industry appeals to me more than research now; my specialty is in analytical chemistry, specifically Raman spectroscopy (lasers), and that could be a useful skill in materials analysis fields. But that’s something to worry about later, I’m just starting grad school next month.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:45AM EDT

opspe wrote:

RF: Well, when I was a kid, I always liked playing with chemicals and making baking soda volcanoes and stuff. I’m not sure if any one thing attracted me to it, but I really like the idea of knowing what things are made of. That, and having the ability to read and understand ingredients labels for medicine and food and stuff. It’s come in handy before, especially seeing as how I have a photoallergy to organic-based sunscreens.

As for employment, my current research is in the paper industry, so hopefully I can get a job in a related field. I think industry appeals to me more than research now; my specialty is in analytical chemistry, specifically Raman spectroscopy (lasers), and that could be a useful skill in materials analysis fields. But that’s something to worry about later, I’m just starting grad school next month.

So you use lasers to analyze ramen?

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:16AM EDT

Piano wrote:

So you use lasers to analyze ramen?

Wellll, not quite. I use lasers to analyze toilet paper.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:28AM EDT

opspe wrote:

Wellll, not quite. I use lasers to analyze toilet paper.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:38AM EDT

RF: To see if we can figure out a way to determine physical characteristics of the paper, like softness. Because soft toilet paper feels on your ass.

Twins: Nein. And I don’t think being a sponge really appeals to me, even if I WERE living in a pineapple under the sea.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:12AM EDT

I challenge you to a lightsaber duel.

Do you accept, cur?

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:13AM EDT

badsitrep: You forgot the most important part:

And the song to go with it:

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:24PM EDT

In celebration of 2012’s Mod Appreciation Week, there will be ask me anythings galore! To kick us off, here is opspe’s old thread. Feel free to take a look back at what’s already been asked and ask opspe all your burning questions!

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:42PM EST

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Also, what’s your favourite album?

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:30PM EST

Connor:

Algernon:

The hell is this, a job interview? But seriously, sometimes I wish I could motivate myself more when it comes to schoolwork. I mean, I’ll do what I have to, I just feel like I half-ass things sometimes.

My favourite album might be Take Control by State of Mind. Hard to choose though, I’ve been really liking the Mass Effect OST lately too.

RandomMan:

I think I’d better ask my boyfriend about that…

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:02PM EST

Opspe wrote:

I think I’d better ask my boyfriend about that…

You are a fine white man who don’t need no man telling you what to do.

Take the dominant position in the relationship. You are a KYM mod, those peasants should lick your heels, not make decisions for you. Now go do the right thing, make us proud.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:19PM EST

BSOD:

Wouldn’t you know it, the server I was storing all your information on had a blue screen the other day. That’s the last time I use a Windows kernel. But as for why? Well, I’m currently convinced that you are, in fact, a hobbit, and I’m collecting the evidence to prove it. I’m planning on submitting a manuscript to Nature detailing my findings. I’ll mail you a copy when it’s published. You live at 1 Bag End, Hobbiton, The Shire 3160, right?

RandomMan:

Gurrl you know it. I’m gon’ have to give him a shakedown. Make sure he know that HE the woman.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:46PM EST

Fridge Logic:

No, not really. I was never very into it, but I haven’t been able to call myself a part of the brony fandom for quite a few months. I don’t think there was ever one point where I decided to “leave” the fandom.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:01PM EST

Since your boyfriend is currently thousands of miles away, what are you doing to entertain yourself while he’s gone?
Also: who’s pitching who’s catching

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:35AM EST

Sandstone wrote:

Since your boyfriend is currently thousands of miles away, what are you doing to entertain yourself while he’s gone?
Also: who’s pitching who’s catching

What one part would you try to use to sell me (or anyone in general) on The Simpsons?

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:52AM EST

Pyro:

Certain posts I have made earlier in this thread are no longer entirely accurate. I’ll leave it to you to figure out what I mean by that hehehe

Your second question: we like to switch things up.

Verbose:

Because the lion’s share of my pop culture knowledge comes from it. It’s humorous on so many levels.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:59AM EST

Remember when we wuz mafia partners?

Good times?

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:01AM EST

So, being canadian and all, you are anti-violence. How has this affected your life? Have you ever found yourself in a situation in which you had to shy away from your canadian heritage and resort to violence? Or has your canadian citizenship given you a +5 bonus to your oratory skills?

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:05AM EST

Teh Brawler:

Yeah bro we go way back. That was awesome. Although I think my favourite time was when I completely fooled Bob. That was awesome.

Bob:

I’ve never needed to use violence in my life. I don’t think I’ve ever been in an imminent fight and had to talk my way out. Wherever I go, I spread peace and harmony. Go ahead and guess my middle name.

Dec 18, 2012 at 01:35AM EST

RandomMan:

Up the ass.

Dec 18, 2012 at 07:01PM EST

What advice would you give to potential entry writers?

And what is your New Years resolutions for 2013, assuming the Earth doesn’t blow up on the 21st.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:36PM EST

VanManner:

I would say read the KYMDB Style Guide. I don’t think that it’s featured enough, because it contains a ton of useful information about proper formatting and things. Also, Random21’s guide to writing an entry was pretty great too.

As for New Years Resolutions…I don’t make those. I don’t consider New Years to be worth such commitments, as I’d rather make them when I need to instead of leaving them for the end of the year.

Orichalcos:

Music. Simple as. See my profile – specifically lots of State of Mind or more ambient pieces. I don’t find myself getting depressed a lot, though. I have great friends and a great boyfriend, so I can always find someone to talk to if I’m feeling lonely.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06AM EST

Hauu! You must login or signup first!