Forums / Discussion / General

168,568 total conversations in 5,400 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Team Fortress 2 General

Last posted Jul 18, 2014 at 03:45AM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2012 at 10:44PM EDT
864 posts from 109 users

Nonofur Bzns wrote:

Today I played against a Huo Long Heatmaker Heavy.
Damn that thing is OP. Just 3 or 4 seconds of sustained fire at close range (close enough to set you on fire, that is) are enough to kill a full health heavy.
I want one.

There is nothing special about it, I killed 2 heavies with it and they died just as fast as anyone else and I only took 150 damage each time (at both long and close range). One of them ran out of ammo before I killed him. Sure I want one but I don’t think it is op, as long as they have limited ammo then it is pretty balanced.

Last edited Aug 04, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT
Aug 04, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT

Team Fortress 2 is probably my favorite game of all, next to Portal/Portal 2. Such a great game.

Also, relating to the new items, I actually am fond of them. Not that I have any of them. I don’t want to take the time to craft weapons. Just lazy. Or even buy them. Too expensive.

Meanwhile: I bought the Awesomenauts game and I got those new promo items. More specifically, these things:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Lone_Star

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Russian_Rocketeer

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Awesomenauts_Badge

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:02PM EDT

@Ivanv

Actually 3-4 seconds is about the amount of time it takes for any minigun to kill a heavy at close range. The bullets from the Heatmaker do not do any more damage than the stock minigun unless you are close enough to take the additional fire damage

The Heatmaker just has the added bonus of igniting spies that try to backstab the heavy. The downside to the Heatmaker is the increased ammo drain but that downside is irrelevant if you can just walk alongside a dispenser or the payload. Then it just becomes a straight upgrade to the stock minigun. A heavy that spies cannot counter is what causes the OP complaints rather than a heavy that other heavies cannot counter.

Aug 04, 2012 at 11:51PM EDT

GIANTDAD wrote:

Hey can someone give me soldier/demoman advice?

For Demo, I’d recommend sticking with the stock loadout, because it’s overall the best for every situation. Demoknight is fun and all, but it’s far inferior to stock.

Your primary objective is area denial. Lock down important spots with your stickybombs and harass approaching enemies with grenades. Practice with directly hitting them with grenades before they bounce so you can kill them easily (eventually getting to the point where you can use the Loch n Load). If you’re holding one specific area, such as a flag or capture point, you might want to use the ScoRes to have better bombs. It’s also more useful for holding down two or more separate corridors, because you only have to blow one set.

Beyond that, you’re primary objective is to trash sentry nests in defended areas by loading stickybombs and blowing them simultaneously for enough burst damage to beat the Engie’s repair. You also need to keep close to Medics, as usual, because Demos are amazing when ubered or kritzed.

Sticky-jumping is a risky, lethal form of super-advanced mobility. Place one or two stickies, hop in your desired direction, detonate, and go flying. If you know the map and your distances well, you can get up to sniping nests easily and rain hell from your stickies and grenades from a protected area.

Finally, you need to know that you can charge up stickies to get more distance if you hold M1 down before launching. Helps to blow sniper and sentry nests from safer areas.

Soldier, on the other hand, is a more aggressive playstyle. You should usually be spearheading the offensive. I’d recommend sticking with the stock loadout, or using the Direct Hit and Escape Plan with the Shotgun. The Rocket Launcher is better if you’re dealing with dodgy enemies or if you don’t have the precision to use the Direct Hit effectively, but eventually the Direct Hit will become amazing.

You’ll be constricted pretty heavily to mid and close ranges, to a slightly lesser degree if you do go for the Righteous Bison, but it’s hard to use effectively at a long range, so try to get your enemies in enclosed areas. It’s important to manage your ammo so you’re never caught reloading both your shotgun and launcher, as reloading time is one of the Soldier’s main weaknesses. Switch to your shotgun to finish hurt enemies if you run out of rockets, or vice versa.

If you’re in smacking range, use your Shotgun and get meatshots or rocketpunch them with the Direct Hit if you don’t mind eating some splash damage. Soldiers are pretty lethal in close range, and can close the gap easily if they can rocket jump and propel themselves off wells correctly. It takes some practice, but it makes the Soldier very mobile, especially if you’re overhealed or don’t care about taking some damage.

You’ll also be on sentry-smashing duty if your Demos are absent, and it’s fairly easy to angle your rockets to splash sentries out of their LoS. The Direct Hit is especially effective at taking sentries down, since there’s very little possibility of a miss.

Aug 05, 2012 at 01:00AM EDT

Guys, about a month and a half ago I downloaded Steam and TF2. I forgot about it until now when I got a notification from my computer saying TF2 finished installing. Whoop Whoop!

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:08PM EDT

Well, I guess I’ll share my loadouts….

Scout is my most played class

The beak… it hungers…

The homewrecker is so fun to kills with

Dat hat

Last edited Aug 06, 2012 at 03:19PM EDT
Aug 06, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT

Since posting our loadouts is becoming popular I guess I’ll show you mine.

If you are fast enough to switch weapons you can inflict a lot of critical damage with this combo, but sometimes I also equip my Backburner + Scorch Shot and get good results.

I don’t know why I use the Black Box. Probably because it’s a strange with custom name and description. I should change to Liberty Launcher. Bison is cool. Shovel… I don’t know what to use instead of the shovel. Any ideas?
The others are not noteworthy. I use the exact same medic loadout that 88y8y8 uses (except for hat/miscs), and just whatever I findeffective with the rest of the classes.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:09PM EDT

Guys, TF2 keeps crashing on me.

Wat do

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:32PM EDT

Hey guys. KYM TF2 game this Wednesday. I want to get all of our TF2 fans on at one time. Should be fun. If any of you have your own server, let us know. We can lock it so it will be just us KYM folks. Otherwise, we’re just gonna find an empty server.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:42PM EDT

@88y8y8

Scout is my most played class

Hey, another scout player. High 5!

@Ivanv

I don’t know why I use the Black Box. Probably because it’s a strange with custom name and description. I should change to Liberty Launcher. Bison is cool. Shovel… I don’t know what to use instead of the shovel. Any ideas?

I crafted my Black Box into a Liberty Launcher and I do not regret it. The 40% extra rocket speed does improve your chances of getting a kill, especially against dodgy Scouts (As a Scout player, believe me, Soldiers with the Liberty Launcher are hard to deal with). But the bonus 15 health you get from the Black Box rarely seems to affect your chances of survival.

Anyway, for a shovel alternative; I always use the Escape Plan instead of the shovel. It’s handy for making a retreat. On medieval maps, I use the Equalizer or Half Zaotichi. If you like rocket jumping and landing on people, use the Market Gardener. If you plan on capturing points, use the Pain Train

@Brawler

Guys, TF2 keeps crashing on me.
Wat do

Be more descriptive.

@Jackal

A game on Wednesday (Thursday for me) sounds like a plan. I can make it there.

Phoneix has his own server but it’s Australian based and I don’t know if Phoneix will be okay with having US KYM users flooding in with 300 ping. You can try asking him though.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:39PM EDT

Nonofur Bzns wrote:

Today I played against a Huo Long Heatmaker Heavy.
Damn that thing is OP. Just 3 or 4 seconds of sustained fire at close range (close enough to set you on fire, that is) are enough to kill a full health heavy.
I want one.

Today I played against a Huo Long Heatmaker Heavy. I backstabbed him without taking any damage. Thank you Conniver’s Kunai! Fought him as other classes as well. I really don’t think it’s OP at all. That Flying Guillotine might be. I’ve only fought against it once, but it was very obnoxious. It did around 100 damage from further off plus bleed damage. Not to mention the instant-kill if used with the Sandman, regardless of the range. I’m not gonna say for sure it’s OP since I haven’t fought it much, but at the very least, a viable long-range option on the fastest class in the game can be incredibly annoying. Especially when you’re a medic with full uber, and they stun-kill you from some place you couldn’t even see them. :/

Has the price on last update’s weapons gone down yet? I never got scout’s or soldier’s weapons, but I don’t want to pay more than a scrap for something I’m going to eventually find in a drop.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT

@Ivan:

The Liberty Launcher is awful later on. Once you get good with the launchers, the missing rocket is such a massive downside that the Liberty will cripple you. The Black Box is kind of similar, but it benefits from making you an unstoppable solo machine, which is useful if you don’t have a Medic. If you do, it’s a downgrade. The LL is good if you’re practicing with rockets, but eventually it’s the worst launcher overall, with the Stock and Direct Hit being the best, followed by the Mangler and Box.

I’d use the Escape Plan instead of the Shovel. Most of your melee is going to be rocket-punching, so you need the ability to get away from trouble quickly. I’ve won matches with the speed boost, in fact, so don’t underestimate it.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:21PM EDT

Thank you for the tips.

I’d like to buy a Strange Pistol. Does any of you happen to have one?

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:38PM EDT

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can’t help but wonder why the sniper didn’t get the Flying Guillotine instead. It doesn’t make sense on the scout. He’s already the fastest class in the game. He doesn’t need a long-range option. That’s what sniper’s for. Just replace Sandman K.O.’s with Sydney Sleeper shots, keep the rest of its game mechanics, and it would be perfect. No offense to scout players, but scout and soldier are constantly getting updates. I just feel like Valve keeps neglecting other classes. :/

On the subject of scout, I’ve been practicing with the Force-a-Nature lately. I don’t like its small clip and relatively slow reload, and HATE how you have to stay grounded while shooting enemies to maximize its effectiveness. Even with all the power those drawbacks allow. But it’s just SO FUN to get that F’A’N jump! And very satisfying to sneak up on spies and one-hit them from behind with this. I made my cousin rage so hard when I killed him like that. XD

@Ivanv
Not looking to sell my Strange Pistol. Sorry, but it’s too fun with the Soda Popper to sell. But I can offer some tips on Soldier melees. If you stick with the Black Box, I recommend the Equalizer. Soldier is slow, making melees kinda hard, but you can get in close with the Black Box’s healing. Even if the enemy gets too close and you accidentally harm yourself with your own rockets, the Black Box gives you a good margin for error that guarantees you’ll still have enough health. Rush in with your equalizer and take ’em out with one powerful attack. If they retreat when they see you using the Equalizer, your Bison does increased damage on enemies that are running away, due to its penetrating shots.

If you swap to the Liberty Launcher, perhaps try the Disciplinary Action or the Escape Plan. The Escape Plan’s use is pretty obvious. As for the Disciplinary Action, it’s not ideal for retreating, but it does make it easier to mobilize your team. Use it on heavies, other soldiers, and your medic if he is currently healing you. The Disciplinary Action probably works best with the Direct Hit, though. Direct Hit makes certain classes easier, but highly evasive classes harder, but you can always whip a heavy into battle to assist you!

Last edited Aug 08, 2012 at 01:27AM EDT
Aug 08, 2012 at 01:20AM EDT

I really wish they would make more demoman weapons that AREN’T FUCKING SWORDS. It would be nice to see a grenade launcher and a new stickybomb launcher.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:08AM EDT

YES, GOD DAMN, SERIOUSLY.

I just got a Strange Scottish Resistance, so I can be a little patient while we wait on new explosives. But they’re still long overdue.

Speaking of explosives, new idea for a strange part: number of suicides. If the Strange Caber is any indication, people would go crazy for it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:12AM EDT

@Jackal

It did around 100 damage from further off plus bleed damage. Not to mention the instant-kill if used with the Sandman, regardless of the range. I’m not gonna say for sure it’s OP since I haven’t fought it much, but at the very least, a viable long-range option on the fastest class in the game can be incredibly annoying.

It does 49 damage plus another 25 or so from bleeding. It does 150 damage on crit (which it wont get randomly)

It doesn’t do instant kill on stun hits, it simply crits. 150+25 is enough to take down everything except Heavies in one shot but medics can change that

It’s hardly OP because it takes skill to both land a successful hit with the sandman and the cleaver within 1.5 seconds. I’ve been trying to do the sandman/cleaver combo since I got the cleaver and I assure you it is NOT easy. Screw up the combo and whoever you were attacking can just run up and smite you before you pull your gun back out

Oh, and the cleaver is not long range. It fails miserably at long range. My shortstop is more effective against distant targets than the cleaver

I’m glad the Scout got this weapon because it finally gives the Scout a chance at taking down Demonights in Degroots Keep without resorting to stealth/surprise tactics. Seriously Demonights are so cheap against Scouts in medieval mode, it takes 5 hits for the Scout to kill a Demonight but only one for the Demonight to kill a Scout and the Demonight has longer reach.

@Doctorhobo

I really wish they would make more demoman weapons that AREN’T FUCKING SWORDS

So wish we all :(

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:49AM EDT

I don’t mind if you guys want to play on my Server, but it’s based in Sydney so you guys will get prolly around 300 ping :/

As for Soldier debate:

I use Liberty Launcher because I’m a scrub casual. But in reality, no matter how good you are with stock launchers, the extra speed will always do you well against Scouts simply because they have less time to react. I do agree that Stock Rocket Launcher is for pros.

As for melee, I use Escape Plan. I rarely use Melee to actually…you know Melee so the Speed Boost to get out of battle and find some health is great.

Last edited Aug 08, 2012 at 10:05AM EDT
Aug 08, 2012 at 10:01AM EDT

Where is a site that checks the price of Items in TF2? I want the one that updates regularly.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT

@Kipp
The TF2 Spreadsheet.

@BSoD
There was, but the turnout was a bit small. Only about eight showed up, but Popper left early, and Pyro only stayed for a match or two, so it was more like six. I think we should do another one sometime soon, but with more time in advance to let people know. I just went with Wednesday because Electric Muffins said that was good for him, but I don’t know if he even showed up. Anyone know his Steam? I’ve yet to add him.

no matter how good you are with stock launchers, the (Liberty Launcher) speed will always do you well against Scouts

QFT

@No one in particular
If anyone is interested, I recently came into possession of Strange Fists for the heavy. If anyone is interested, I’ll sell ‘em for a reclaimed. Also, I’m looking for paints. If you have anything under 1.33 refined, let me know! I might buy it off you. Maybe. If it’s worth a little more, I might buy it after I make some more metal.

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:15AM EDT
I just went with Wednesday because Electric Muffins said that was good for him, but I don’t know if he even showed up. Anyone know his Steam? I’ve yet to add him.

I did show up. I was “YeOldeDirtyPirate”, and you’ll recall I was a scout most of the time. You’ll also recall my mic acted up on the Steam chat (I apologize for that, btw).

Anyways, here are my stats:

I used to play engineer a lot when I was new to PC gaming and I couldn’t aim properly with the mouse, so I relied on letting the sentries do that for me. One day, I got lucky with a sentry placement and that’s how I got so many points there.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:45AM EDT

There’s a rumor about a third Gray faction floating around.I’m not gonna get hyped yet,but when PAX comes I’m gonna freak out.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT

How to be a successful trader?

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:37PM EDT

@BSoD

It doesn’t do instant kill on stun hits, it simply crits.

I know that…

150+25 is enough to take down everything except Heavies in one shot

^
This is what I mean. It kills 8 out of 9 classes in one hit.

Still, I suppose I can see why it’s not cheap. I was distracted when I was hit as a medic. Other than that, I’ve only been hit as a heavy. It’s REALLY annoying when you’re heavy, and it doesn’t seem to be too challenging to hit fatboy with a sandman and guillotine consecutively. Suppose it’s just one of those weapons like the Direct Hit. More useful on slower, high health classes. I’m sure a scout or a medic that isn’t distracted would be much harder to hit.

@Kalros

I did show up. I was “YeOldeDirtyPirate”, and you’ll recall I was a scout most of the time. You’ll also recall my mic acted up on the Steam chat (I apologize for that, btw).

Pardon me for not recognizing you. And no need to apologize about your mic.

@Kipp
1.) Check the spreadsheet before you try to buy/sell. Don’t let people rip you off.
2.) Be patient. Not everyone has what you want. Not everyone wants what you have. Sometimes it takes a while to find a buyer or seller.
3.) When in trade servers, observe the server activity. Some servers are so busy, no one can read your messages for all the copy-paste spam advertising everyone else is doing. Sometimes, people don’t really want to trade. Know when being patient is not going to help, and you need to swap servers.
4.) You might not always get metal or keys like you may want when trading. Sometimes it’s not bad to accept a strange or a hat that you don’t necessarily want, because you might be able to profit further when selling it. But avoid accepting items in low demand.
5.) Using keys sometimes yields high price items, but sometimes leaves you with less than you had. Selling weapons and scrapbanking may work slower, but it is the most reliable way to accrue TF2 riches.
6.) If you get crate 40, sell it. It’s worth a lot right now. You can make a lot more keys if you open it and get a Strange Sapper or Huntsman, but once again, opening crates is a gamble. You have a higher chance of uncrating an item that will be worth less.

@Everyone
If we’re posting stats, could we post a link to our Steam pages from here on? I’m interested in seeing ALL the stats. Healing, headshots, captures, etc. I kinda want to know more about everyone’s playstyle, and I don’t get to fight all of you that often.

Also, any other bronies played the MLP Heroes servers?

It’s sorta like Saxton Hale with pony bosses, except there are still two teams, and each one gets a pony boss. They have less health than the typical Hale boss to be fair, but they’re still tough as hell. Pretty fun servers, imo. Definitely worth checking out. I just unlocked Rainbow Dash, which is pretty sweet. She gets infinite Atomizer jumps so she can fly, but she also gets a Sandman ball, so she can stun. Stunning enemies below, then dropping in for the kill never gets old.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:45AM EDT

Hahah, yeah I played a couple of times in MLP Heroes servers, even got to be Luna once.

These are my full stats. I actually have twice as many hours, but once reset my stats cause I had non legit scores from trade and idling servers (like longest life of 40 minutes, 30 kills, 60 points).
Hey, when can we arrange a match? we should add each others to make it easier.

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:50PM EDT

Hey guys. Check this out.

Aug 11, 2012 at 07:02PM EDT

Gamzee wrote:

How is it man vs machine if I am a combination of both?

(Engie is best class).
I know some good turret placements.
Here is a good concepts for the engies on the grey team sense they will be machines as well:

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 12:57PM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 12:51PM EDT

Gamzee wrote:

-

Last edited Aug 12, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT
Aug 12, 2012 at 05:35PM EDT

Nonofur Bzns wrote:

Yes, I’m triple posting, deal with it.

And then this happens.
This is why we can’t have nice things.

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:06PM EDT

Nonofur Bzns wrote:

-

EDIT: After reading/watching/everythinging, few things:

Demoman is given a shotgun – cue “DEMOMAN WILL GET SHOTGUN” from idiots.
I wonder if Grey Mann knows/schemes with the Administrator. Doesn’t help that Pauline is there with RED and BLU in the comic. It just seems like it’s part of her master plan.
Then again, she also tried to keep the mercs away from each other at all costs – uniting them seems odd for her, so it ALSO could be her last-ditch effort to stop Grey – after all, Blutarch and Redmond are dead. There’s not much reason for an endless war. But I still feel it could go either way.

Last edited Aug 13, 2012 at 08:25PM EDT
Aug 13, 2012 at 08:09PM EDT

O.K., I gave into peer pressure and got the game.
Just one thing, I can’t aim and move at the same time.
Am I glitching out or is that just the default control scheme?

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:24AM EDT

Windigo with salad wrote:

O.K., I gave into peer pressure and got the game.
Just one thing, I can’t aim and move at the same time.
Am I glitching out or is that just the default control scheme?

Glitching out

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:37AM EDT

Not the default control scheme at all, you move with the keyboard and aim with the mouse, two completely independent things.

You must be glitching. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Not the default control scheme at all, you move with the keyboard and aim with the mouse, two completely independent things.

You must be glitching. Can you describe the problem in more detail?

O.K. Say there’s a corner in a hallway or something.
One would think I could just turn while running down the hall so I can quickly confront the enemy right? But I have to go to the end of the hall, turn 90 degrees so I can see where I’m going, and then start running again. Like while I’m moving the mouse is locked and I can’t look around.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT

That shouldn’t be happening.
Is there something wrong with your control?

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:48AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

That shouldn’t be happening.
Is there something wrong with your control?

I haven’t messed with the control settings if that’s what you mean, everything is default.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:55AM EDT

what are you running it on – process speed, RAM, grafix? if your computer is old, it might just be having a hard time running it.

In related news, I’ve been having some bad lag recently, like several seconds’ worth from click to rocket fired/flames/medi gun. It’s weird, ‘cause I’ve got a brand new laptop that ran it perfectly fine until last week or so, then it decided to become near-unplayable. It’s bizarre.

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 01:14AM EDT
Aug 14, 2012 at 01:14AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

what are you running it on – process speed, RAM, grafix? if your computer is old, it might just be having a hard time running it.

In related news, I’ve been having some bad lag recently, like several seconds’ worth from click to rocket fired/flames/medi gun. It’s weird, ‘cause I’ve got a brand new laptop that ran it perfectly fine until last week or so, then it decided to become near-unplayable. It’s bizarre.

It’s a brand-spankin’ new HP Pavilion m6 notebook.
5.48 GB, Radeon HD graphics… it should work… sigh…

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:28AM EDT

That is weird.

…I’m assuming you ARE using a real mouse right? not the trackpad?

I’m gonna dive into tf2 for a bit, look in the options to look for anything that could possibly cause it otherwise.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:33AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Are you running anything else alongside it?

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:34AM EDT

@Katie Nope. Last time it happened, the only thing running was Steam. I haven’t tried it in a few days, it might have just been a connection issue last and it could run now. I’ll have to try.

@Windigo I would look at your control panel mouse settings, and if you don’t see anything odd there I might try experimenting with raw input in the TF2 options. I dunno, I’m just guessing here.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:41AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

That is weird.

…I’m assuming you ARE using a real mouse right? not the trackpad?

I’m gonna dive into tf2 for a bit, look in the options to look for anything that could possibly cause it otherwise.

Oooh… I am using a trackpad. I assumed that wouldn’t be a problem since I’d played it on a friend’s Macbook air without issue. I called it a mouse earlier from force of habit, you know how some people still call remotes “clickers”? Same thing.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:43AM EDT

@Windigo

It’s not a graphics problem, it’s input. It’s as if the keyboard controls steal focus from the mouse

I’ve never heard of something like this before, but I might recommend updating/reinstalling your mouse trackpad drivers.

Has this ever happened with any other FPS?

See if you can get in touch with Steam Support and detail the problem there

[edit]

Oh so it is a trackpad, thanks for clarifying. Yea that might have something to do with it, however I know people who have used the trackpad with TF2 before. There is some extra step you need to make before you have trackpad support but I cannot remember what. Like I said, get in touch with the Steam support forums and google for TF2 subjects on trackpads

Last edited Aug 14, 2012 at 01:47AM EDT
Aug 14, 2012 at 01:45AM EDT

Greetings! You must login or signup first!