Forums / General

195,608 total conversations in 5,384 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Team Fortress 2 General

Last posted Jul 03, 2014 at 10:16PM EDT. Added Apr 22, 2012 at 10:44PM EDT
859 conversations with 107 participants

Of course. Now I open TF2, and it decides to download mvm. Coulda done it while I was on KYM, Steam.

Well, it’s a good thing the interwebs here at the university run at 1.5 MB.

Aug 16, 2012 at 01:00AM EDT

Guy’s i’ve been trying to get into a MVM game for the past 4 hours. This waiting is reminding me of super monday night waiting rooms except its a lot worse.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:25AM EDT

Waiting for this download to complete…60%………………

………………….61%…………………………..

…………………………………………….62%………

You guy’s weren’t kidding; this is a big one. I probably won’t be able to play until tomorrow. Never mind, my internet sorted its crap out.

But once everything has settled down we should try and get another KYM game going with MVM

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 02:57AM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 02:53AM EDT

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a visual representation of the MvM launch:

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:34AM EDT

Okay 6 hours on trying to play MVM and i still don’t get into a game. I’m ready to smash my fucking laptop right now.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:32AM EDT

The matchmaking system has failed to uphold the massive amounts of traffic as everyone dives into MVM servers. Valve is forced to take it down.

I found it quicker to just use the regular server browser and find a server running an MVM map rather than use the co-op search menu (which uses the matchmaking service)

Unfortunately literally every single MVM server is full since they only take 6 players at a time. You can get into to some as a spectator but you still need to wait until someone gets out.

I spectated one server for a while and took a few screenshots

The robots come from over the hill, they can come from more than one hill, but usually from hills

Some use only melee weapons while others use their designated class weapons. One robot always carries a payload which it will take to the objective. You can see this in the upper left

A pyrobo making off with the payload, threatening a demopan in its path.

Robots drop money which you want to collect for upgrades

There is an upgrade station near your spawn where you can walk up to and grab stuff at the end of each wave.

This is a sentry buster. It makes a beeline for your sentry no matter where you build. It also follows engies carrying a sentry

This is what the sentry buster does to sentries (and anyone that gets too close). But you can trick it by putting a sentry in front of it to intentionally make it blow. It stops for a second and explodes, but before it does, you can pick up the sentry and run away before it blows. Most Engie’s do this

If you don’t have enough Pyro’s to airblast robots away from the capture point, this happens

This tank is featured as a boss but it’s not dangerous, it can’t even run you over. It’s just really tough and it cannot be slowed on its way to the checkpoint. You obviously don’t want it to get there but demomen can easily ensure that. A few robots back it up

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 05:28AM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 04:59AM EDT

Katie C. and I actually got to play a few matches! :)

Here’s what I learned so far:

Giant Scout is a dick. Spies should sap all scouts and sentry busters, first thing.
Scottish Resistance does unbelievably good against the tanks.
Giant Heavy is also a dick. Destroy his medics first.
I find that putting all your upgrades into one weapon works best.
You NEED teleporters. They are an invaluable asset.

That’s all for now. Hopefully, finding a match will be fixed to be easier soon.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:17AM EDT

I waited for 40 minutes, got into a match and was promptly disconnected.

I then went to the server browser and just got into spectating match and got a slot when one guy exited.

It’s really quite a fun mode. Though I found it rather easy, we only lost once because a Giant Scout made it past our team and dropped the bomb but other than that the bots all clump together so area of effect weapons are very effective.

The giant tanks are quite easy, they are essentially just pools of HP to be whittled down, kritzkrieged pyros or heavies can drain ’em pretty fast.

The toughest enemy really is Giant Scouts…fuck those fuckers.

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:55AM EDT

Even now as I speak there is a very hard possibility to get in any of the MvM servers. How ever I manage to get in one, only for a few minutes, and I was freaking lucky because I been spamming join with a friend on my steam. Two mini sentries FTW btw.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:00AM EDT

I’ll probably try to get in on a game tonight. It looks really interesting, though – thanks for the screens, BSOD!

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:16AM EDT

Jackal Lantern wrote:

Katie C. and I actually got to play a few matches! :)

Here’s what I learned so far:

Giant Scout is a dick. Spies should sap all scouts and sentry busters, first thing.
Scottish Resistance does unbelievably good against the tanks.
Giant Heavy is also a dick. Destroy his medics first.
I find that putting all your upgrades into one weapon works best.
You NEED teleporters. They are an invaluable asset.

That’s all for now. Hopefully, finding a match will be fixed to be easier soon.

Giant Scouts are dicks, they have little health but run like fuck, and since they seem to be having a seizure 24/7, they will fuck you up hard in a melee battle.

If you’re facing a Giant Heavy, kill the damn medics. The medics are often sitting ducks, making them easy to hit.

Playing Heavy is pointless, you’re often going to want fast characters. If you’re playing Pyro, be sure to invest in speed increases, I’ve kicked ass with that.

Use Spies, their ability to dramatically slow down/stop enemies with the sapper is great, and can really put a stop to Sentry Busters.

If you’re playing Demo, use the Loch and Load, it’s so useful.

Use melee weapons on Fists of Steel heavies, people seem to forget that they take double melee damage.

Be sure to collect all the money, you get bonuses each round for getting all the money.

Anyway, as far as best teams go, I’d say you need a Pyro, Spy, Engineer, Demoman, and 2 other things, of course.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:45AM EDT

So would anyone like it if i made a private TF2 server to play MvM

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT

Riyku wrote:

So would anyone like it if i made a private TF2 server to play MvM

I dunno, will your server lag so bad it makes it impossible to play like your other servers?

Aug 16, 2012 at 01:40PM EDT

angstyHoodie OPERATOR wrote:

I dunno, will your server lag so bad it makes it impossible to play like your other servers?

I don’t think so i’ve had other users play and they didn’t lag much

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 01:43PM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 01:42PM EDT

Katie C. said:

Playing Heavy is pointless, you’re often going to want fast characters.

I agree with everything you’ve said aside from this. The Heavy on our team kept using the Tomislav, which is a dumb idea. I’ve seen Huo Long Heater and Brass Beast Heavies really wreck some shit. It takes a giant to stop them, since they kill so fast and have so much health, but you can take out giants easily with an uber, and tear through tanks like they’re nothing.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT

Alright after waiting for about 7 hours my friend of steam take pity on me and we try to go on a server of our own and would you FUCKING know it they have to take the servers down.

But today’s a new day and I’m hoping to actually GET ON A FUCKING SERVER for a change.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT

Ok i got a server working if anyone wants to join tell me on my steam

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:00PM EDT

Alright whats the password?

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:47PM EDT

Why is it so hard to find a server or do I need to buy a ticket?

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:58PM EDT

@MoaDakka

Because all the servers are full. Everyone want’s to play it but only 6 can do so at a time. There just isn’t enough servers for everyone.

I think the tickets are only for special Valve servers. You don’t need those for the rest

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:00PM EDT

That was an awesome series of games, even with the weird glitch if the robots did succeed.

I’m surprised by how amazing the sapper is. An AoE stun that lasts for several seconds is just begging to be used.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT

Yeah me and BSOD are the only ones left. IF you wanna play MVM then we’ll be waiting.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:38PM EDT

I wanna play again, I got kicked off because my computer picked today to update…
If you guys still wanna play on that server I’m game.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:42PM EDT

Viking, get onto steam and find me or Doctor Hobo. My name here is the same on steam so you know who I am. Contact me and I’ll invite you

[edit]

Nevermind, server went down

Last edited Aug 16, 2012 at 11:16PM EDT
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:46PM EDT

Aww man. Well it was fun while it lasted.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT

Server is down. This is literally the first time since the update I’ve had the chance to get on.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY MULTI, EVEN. LET ME PLAY TF2.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:13AM EDT

Does anyone here have spare Madmilks? I Really want to craft a Flying Guillotine. I have like 2 and a Half Reclaimed Metal wroth of Spare Weapons for trade.

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 02:42PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 02:41PM EDT

I just had the toughest time in a MvM match.

It was the third wave in Coaltown, and there were only four players, counting me. The tank was resilient. Even my Liberty Launcher with an upgraded 5 rockets per clip, and THREE Krit Canteens in a row couldn’t stop it.

And then the Spybots and Scoutbots arrive, and it all goes downhill from there.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT

MVM is hard with 4 people. I had a final MVM wave last almost an hour and that was with 4 people as well.

I was Pyro with a fully upgraded degreaser and Axtinguisher. I used three uber canteens to burn, axtinguish and airblast away as many robots as possible but in the end that tank always eluded the entire team. Then again we had two snipers, neither seemed to be using jarate and one had a fucking hunstman. 4th guy was a Demoman but he couldn’t make up for our snipers lack of stopping power.

I think we finally beat the round when 2 more demomen entered the game

We should set up another server for the KYM users. It’s seem to be the only way we can get ourselves into a game. I was hoping I could arrange one today but I’ve had a change of plans. I’ll have to wait until Monday. What do you guys think about hosting another TF2 game sometime Monday?

Last edited Aug 17, 2012 at 09:01PM EDT
Aug 17, 2012 at 09:01PM EDT

Yeah, the match making servers are horrible, just horrible and I hope they get them fixed soon cause honestly, I like the MvM mode more then the regular mode, mainly cause I’m much much better at it then I am the normal modes.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:35PM EDT

I got to play last night. It’s pretty good. A pyro is invaluable; the airblast is almost essential against non-hitscan weapons like arrows or rockets, especially when you have 20-some soldiers running at you in a single chokepoint. Engies can set up turrets to defend and ‘ports are useful for transit from the resupply to the front line, but the sentry buster is a serious distraction, especially during a giant scout round. A medic is sort of useful, but you really need all the firepower you can get. Instead, I would recommend memorizing healthpack spawns and investing in regen/health per kill; the +/k is especially useful since it’ll let you overhealth without a medic.

Upgrade-wise, I would focus on your main weapon/buildings if you’re an engie, and on class upgrades (speed, health regen, damage resistances). Certain classes NEED ammo upgrades (pyro is a good example, in the fray, airblasting and flaming, you run out FAST). Once again, memorizing ammo spawns is important, as I’m reasonably sure the bots don’t drop weapons, only cash.

We made it to round 5, fell apart against giant rapid-fire soldiers with ubered medics. Then it was late and I dropped. Sure is fun, though.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:52PM EDT

I agree. Pyro and Engie are the essential classes in MVM. You definitely need airblast to push back Sentry busters and Giants. And of course you need engies for those teleports

Demomen, Soldiers and Spies are also ideal. Spies for the sapper and Demomen/Soldiers for their raw stopping power

Medics are not so important in MVM as everyone can get their own healing, Uber and Crits provisions. Medics with Kritzkrieg can result in a LOT of dead robots but then again, so can a stack of three crits powerups, so whats the point?

Heavies, Scouts and Snipers also seem to be more situational than the other classes. You can usually go without them.

If you do go as those classes; Snipers please use Jarate and a sniper rifle then target the Giants. Scouts should use Mad milk, Scattergun or Force of nature and get reload speed upgrades.

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:54AM EDT

My game had a scout in it. I will agree about situational; he didn’t know what he was doing and ended up fighting frontlines. Especially annoying against giant scouts, my much slower pyro had to chase them down and kill them when he would have matched (or bested with upgrades) speed against them. So if you do play scout, don’t be a dick. Chase down giant scouts.

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:57PM EDT

Sorry for double post, six hour diff.

Just got out of a game with BSOD and Jackal. Did pretty good, played as engie instead of my pyro cause someone else was pyro – was that you, Jackal? I have a newfound respect for engie players now.

Also, that Russian guy was cool. Even better, he was playing Heavy.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:40AM EDT
played as engie instead of my pyro cause someone else was pyro – was that you, Jackal?

No, I haven’t played pyro once today. I played a few more matches after you left, so I’m not sure what class I was when we played. I was either a sticky-spamming demo (if we were on Mannworks), or a Heatmaker sniper (if we were on Decoy). Good job, by the way. I think we were on decoy. The robots never made it past the building there.

BTW, if any of you like sniping, pick the Heatmaker! It builds focus even IN focus. You can just keep shooting! Works great on giants. Also, damage resistance on scouts or heavies is fun.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:03AM EDT

Jackal is credit to team. I like how we managed to stop sentry busters in their tracks in one particular game where you went Spy and I was Scout. You sapped the buster (which slows it down), then I moved in and mad milked it (which slows it down even more), then marked it for death. The combo made sentry busters die in seconds, which was great because we had no Pyro to lock the sentry busters down.

So I’ve learned from our last couple games that the Fan of War is really useful Scout tool in MVM and I’ll be using that from now on in MVM games. The strategy is to use the Scouts speed to easily swoop in and mark giants for death with the Fan (an uber boost is handy here). Then the rest of the team can handle the giant easier

I usually swear by my Sandman but even when upgraded so that I can stun 7 robots at once, the Sandman just wont pay for itself once giants show up. The Cleaver + Sandman combo will stay relegated to my 1-on-1 loadouts.

I also tried a new Scout strategy that Jackal introduced me to. It involves fully upgraded pistols (stock works best) + damage resistances. Thanks to the cheap pistol upgrades you can maximize your max damage resist and still get an effective SMG (the fully upgraded pistol). It really works and I managed to take out a giant heavy single handed with it. But one downside of the strategy is that you forfeit the high DPS of your shotgun so tanks become a problem and you become very reliant on crit boosts

Damage resistances shouldn’t be ignored BTW. There are some rounds where it’s better to get those resistances than upgrade your weapon. Explosion resistance especially

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 08:38AM EDT
Aug 20, 2012 at 08:33AM EDT
Damage resistances shouldn’t be ignored BTW. There are some rounds where it’s better to get those resistances than upgrade your weapon. Explosion resistance especially

Yeah, there was a round with giant soldiers a bit before I left, I think, which had giant charged soldiers. Definitely needed blast resistance, especially since I was in the line of fire with my buildings.

Which reminds me, it is possible, as we discovered, to grab the sentry and run when you see the buster. It will follow you, and matches speed, but:

1) It takes some time to explode after getting in range,
2) It will only go after you and your sentry.

This means that you can lure it by grabbing the sentry and moving away from any other buildings, then waiting until it charges its blast and getting out of range. You could also run it in circles and get other people to help you kill it – our Russian friend was a buster-killing machine – but it distracts them from any other enemies that may be trying to get by.

If you have two engies, don’t bother with 2-way ports-just build one set from spawn to front and one from front to spawn. Honestly, it’s not even that useful with one engie – it only takes your allies 10-20 seconds to get back to the upgrade station, and they can just take your port to save time going back. Engineers can take a bit longer to be ready, because they may need to rebuild/adjust position for a wave in a different direction/etc., so do wait for them.

Also, this is now a MvM advice thread, apparently.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:43AM EDT

William Schnell wrote:

I just had the toughest time in a MvM match.

It was the third wave in Coaltown, and there were only four players, counting me. The tank was resilient. Even my Liberty Launcher with an upgraded 5 rockets per clip, and THREE Krit Canteens in a row couldn’t stop it.

And then the Spybots and Scoutbots arrive, and it all goes downhill from there.

Coaltown tanks have the most health.

Here are the health stats for tanks in the game.

28000 Coal Town: Wave 3
30000 Coal Town: Wave 5
20000 Decoy: Wave 3
20000 Decoy: Wave 8
20000 Mannworks: Wave 2
22500 Mannworks: Wave 7

Isn’t there also a tank in Coal Town Wave 6?

Also, here are the stats for giant robots.

Scouts: 1600 Health
Soldiers: 3300, but 3800 for Charged Soldiers
Pyros: 3000
Demomen: 3300
Heavies: 5000
Sentry Buster: 2500

By the way, you should really deal with robots first if you’re in a tank round. By the way, note that some robots are super accurate, such as the Bowmen and Giant Heavies.

Also a good way to deal with Sentry Busters is to grab your Sentry, charge at the Buster, and then run away.

Last edited Aug 20, 2012 at 10:21AM EDT
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:18AM EDT
Jackal is credit to team.

Danke, kamerad! You did great as well. We got the cash bonuses nearly every round. BTW, to those of you that don’t know this, you get a bonus of $100 every time you collect every cash drop in a wave. Very helpful! Especially on the waves where you only get about 400$ total, so you can afford more upgrades before the harder rounds. Scouts have increased cash pick-up range, and not only heal from grabbing the cash, but they get overheal from it if they’re at max! If you combine this with the damage resistances, it makes you one of the toughest targets to kill.

So I’ve learned from our last couple games that the Fan of War is really useful Scout tool in MVM and I’ll be using that from now on in MVM games. The strategy is to use the Scouts speed to easily swoop in and mark giants for death with the Fan (an uber boost is handy here). Then the rest of the team can handle the giant easier

Actually, if you just wait until the giant starts shooting at your teammates, you can usually swoop in from behind and tag him with the fan without the giant ever taking any notice of you. Even without damage resistances, you can tag them without uber if you have enough overheal to get through the horde of smaller robots. Then, you can pick off the weaklings for a quick health boost while your friends make quick work of the giant.

And by the way Blue Screen, the fan is still good outside of MVM! I like taking out heavy/medics with it. Just sneak up on them, and wait for them to get distracted fighting one of your more powerful teammates like a soldier, or a demo. Tag the heavy, and go for the medic. That way, neither of them ever escape. Sandman is awesome, but you should give it a try!

But one downside of the strategy is that you forfeit the high DPS of your shotgun so tanks become a problem and you become very reliant on crit boosts

This is true. At least the low price of the pistol upgrades make crit canteens more affordable. Factor in Soda Popper and the fan, you can save up on rounds without tanks by using mini-crits instead of canteen crits. Though, you should probably focus more on the spy or sniper rush that usually accompanies the tanks.You may have low DPS, but you’re still very effective against these weak targets.

there was a round with giant soldiers a bit before I left, I think, which had giant charged soldiers. Definitely needed blast resistance

I maxed out my blast resistance, crit resistance, and melees, used the Buffalo Steak Sandvich with the Eviction notice, and I was taking on hordes of soldiers and demos like they were nothing. I even fought the giant demos with my melee and won! I’m telling you guys, you gotta try melee heavy! IT IS INCOMPREHENSIBLY FUN. Go for health on kill and crit resistance first, and use the buffalo steak. Then, build up your melee speed and resistances. Explosive resistance is the most important. Bullet resistance is equally useful if you have to deal with a heavy or giant heavy wave. I never had more than 25% fire resistance, though. With maxed out health-on-kill, it’s unnecessary. Also, it helps to have a melee class on Mannworks. Steel Gauntlet heavies are always a pain. They only take about three hits from a heavy melee, but there’s no melee resistance, so watch yourself!

I am really enjoying MVM. For a statistic-minded person like myself, stacking perks with personal abilities is really fun! You can come up with some ridiculously over-powered stuff if you go with perks that compliment the base stats of your character and loadout, like the indestructible heavy, or the machine gun scout. So far, melee heavy and Heatmaker sniper have been the most fun for me. I want to try doing the melee thing with scout next. Now I just need to decide, pan or fish?

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:58PM EDT

Use the Fan-o-war

Also, Scout’s not really situational, Scout’s very good.

Now I would say though that when playing Scout that you need someone to distract enemies, because Scouts need to sneak up on bots and if they can’t, they’ll get slaughtered, but if they can sneak up, they can slaughter whole squads.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:11PM EDT

Yea I’m starting to agree, the Scout is an important class, not a situational one. I take back saying that earlier.

The Scout can slow down robots, weaken giants and chase down bombers. Scouts with resist are incredibly hard to kill and an upgraded scattergun does a fuck-ton of damage. Lastly if you want those bonuses, you damn well need a Scout.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:10PM EDT

I wish they could extend the amount of waves and/or start with more money.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Yea I’m starting to agree, the Scout is an important class, not a situational one. I take back saying that earlier.

The Scout can slow down robots, weaken giants and chase down bombers. Scouts with resist are incredibly hard to kill and an upgraded scattergun does a fuck-ton of damage. Lastly if you want those bonuses, you damn well need a Scout.

Here’s the thing with Scouts though: You need good teammates. A squad of almost anything can wipe out a Scout, but if they’re firing at a Soldier or Heavy, then a Scout can go around them and wipe them out at point blank range. With upgrades, you can destroy a Heavy in two shots. Also, if a Scout can mark a giant for death, then that makes things much easier.
As Scout, you’ll generally want the Fan O’War or the Sun-on-a-stick

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:10PM EDT

Twili’s Definitive and Probably Somewhat Subjective Analysis of Class Use in Mann Versus Machine
Volume One of Two

Scout: I’m warming up to scout. I still won’t play him, ‘cause I’m a crappy scout player, but I am enjoying his cash magnet powers, scattershot power and use of the Fan O’ War. Like I’ve said up there, scouts need to not be dicks and chase other scouts, especially giants, since I’ve (as pyro) needed my full range, backing up the whole time to maximize in-range time, to kill them.
Verdict: Useful, but not necessary.

Heavy: Heavies, in my experience, are good as bullet sponges – put them next to your engie’s dispenser and he’ll pull fire off the buildings, so the engie has enough time to repair any damage, and the auto level 3 dispenser from setup means that he’ll stay alive awhile – but not much else. They’re to slow to catch up with anything but other heavies, and their accuracy lowers dramatically at medium range, so they can’t really catch anyone escaping.
Verdict: Unnecessary.

Demoman: I haven’t played with that many Demomen, but I’ve mainly seen them on the chokepoint maps – Decoy and Coaltown. The chokepoints mean that you can set up stickies and take out a large group at once – especially useful on Decoy, where you can set up all eight stickies in a small area. Other than that, they don’t seem to be very helpful, other than the fact their attacks have a blast radius useful for hitting groups. They’re also okay against tanks, which appear to be weak to explosions.
Verdict: Situational. Most useful on chokepoint maps.

Soldier: Soldier is similar to Demoman – his blast is useful, but his low ammo/clip is definitely a disadvantage, considering you often see twenty-some enemies coming at you. Since the enemies are bots, I assume they won’t really be tricked by rocket jumps, either. While I haven’t played with one yet, I think the buffing items could be useful in certain situations. I’d have to play with one of those soldiers to find out, though.
Verdict: Possibly situational.

Pyro: As I’ve said before, Pyros are incredibly important. You can get sustained damage in large swaths on the front lines, you can airblast projectiles, you can hold back sentry busters (recommended) and Giant Enemies (less recommended, it’s a pretty good way to sacrifice yourself) with your airblast, and a Pyro with a flare gun can also catch escaping enemies adequately. If there isn’t a Pyro on your team, play one or find a teammate who can.
Verdict: Necessary.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:39AM EDT

Twili’s Definitive and Probably Somewhat Subjective Analysis of Class Use in Mann Versus Machine
Volume Two of Two

Sniper: I haven’t played with many snipers. Honestly, the slow firing speed is a major disadvantage, considering the number of enemies, and the firepower isn’t that useful, thanks to the bots’ low health. They are potentially useful for taking out Medics before they ubercharge giants, thanks to the long range. An ubered Giant Rapid-Fire Soldier is one of the most evil things known to Mann.
Verdict: Situational.

Engineer: I’ll just straight up say it – if you don’t have an engineer, you won’t survive a round. The sentry can take out dozens of enemies in a round, the dispenser is a good healing point if your emplacement is easily accessible, and the teleports shave a precious 5-10 seconds off of respawn-to-front line travel. The one thing is, you’re a sitting duck – you pretty much have to repair non-stop and can’t manually control your sentry or it’ll blow, so pray it aims at the target you want it to – and can’t attack with anything BUT your sentries. The buster isn’t that much of a challenge – If your teammates can’t stop it before it gets near you, grab your sentry, lure the buster away from other buildings and run when it charges its explosion. Any buildings you build during setup are automatically level 3 and rebuild after moving instantly. The thing is, if your sentry should die, you’re stuck with a level 1. If I also die during that time, I usually build a sentry near the hatch, grab ammo dumps till I can build a dispenser, then upgrade from there.

Spy: Spies are pretty useful. Their main advantage is the sapper, as it will slow all robots and make it easier for other teammates to kill them before they get the bomb too close. they also have the backstab, as always. Unfortunately, this also means they have to take major risks when doing any kind of damage, and the computer will eventually make bots see through your disguise.

Medic: SERIOUSLY? You want to play as a MEDIC? Look, I’d try to defend Medic – he’s one of my best multiplayer classes – but Medic in MvM is absolutely useless. There seem to be a lot more healthpacks in MvM than in Multiplayer, every class can get some sort of healing upgrade, dispensers, which any engie who knows what he’s doing will put up, can heal just as well, and power-up canteens are received after one victorious match and do anything any kind of uber could do, and can do it as long as you have a charge, at any time – not whenever the medic is finally recharged. A medic in MvM is essentially dead weight – useless in combat AND support roles.
Verdict: Don’t even bother.

Sorry about the double post, I wasn’t sure where I was in relation to the character limit.

Anyways, this took me forty minutes to write. APPRECIATE IT.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:40AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Volume Two of Two

Sniper: I haven’t played with many snipers. Honestly, the slow firing speed is a major disadvantage, considering the number of enemies, and the firepower isn’t that useful, thanks to the bots’ low health. They are potentially useful for taking out Medics before they ubercharge giants, thanks to the long range. An ubered Giant Rapid-Fire Soldier is one of the most evil things known to Mann.
Verdict: Situational.

Engineer: I’ll just straight up say it – if you don’t have an engineer, you won’t survive a round. The sentry can take out dozens of enemies in a round, the dispenser is a good healing point if your emplacement is easily accessible, and the teleports shave a precious 5-10 seconds off of respawn-to-front line travel. The one thing is, you’re a sitting duck – you pretty much have to repair non-stop and can’t manually control your sentry or it’ll blow, so pray it aims at the target you want it to – and can’t attack with anything BUT your sentries. The buster isn’t that much of a challenge – If your teammates can’t stop it before it gets near you, grab your sentry, lure the buster away from other buildings and run when it charges its explosion. Any buildings you build during setup are automatically level 3 and rebuild after moving instantly. The thing is, if your sentry should die, you’re stuck with a level 1. If I also die during that time, I usually build a sentry near the hatch, grab ammo dumps till I can build a dispenser, then upgrade from there.

Spy: Spies are pretty useful. Their main advantage is the sapper, as it will slow all robots and make it easier for other teammates to kill them before they get the bomb too close. they also have the backstab, as always. Unfortunately, this also means they have to take major risks when doing any kind of damage, and the computer will eventually make bots see through your disguise.

Medic: SERIOUSLY? You want to play as a MEDIC? Look, I’d try to defend Medic – he’s one of my best multiplayer classes – but Medic in MvM is absolutely useless. There seem to be a lot more healthpacks in MvM than in Multiplayer, every class can get some sort of healing upgrade, dispensers, which any engie who knows what he’s doing will put up, can heal just as well, and power-up canteens are received after one victorious match and do anything any kind of uber could do, and can do it as long as you have a charge, at any time – not whenever the medic is finally recharged. A medic in MvM is essentially dead weight – useless in combat AND support roles.
Verdict: Don’t even bother.

Sorry about the double post, I wasn’t sure where I was in relation to the character limit.

Anyways, this took me forty minutes to write. APPRECIATE IT.

I think the Medic is lacking good combat-wise/situational items. the only good item is the Kritzkrieg. This is similar to what happened in the Gold Rush Update. Medic became the least played Character in TF2 but Valve released a Patch that made him more useful. So I think the Medic is Useless, for now.

Last edited Aug 21, 2012 at 12:58AM EDT
Aug 21, 2012 at 12:57AM EDT

@Twilit:

Demomen can wreck the bots if they spam their grenades from the GL or aim their shots from the LnL correctly. Buffing up either launcher makes them monstrous, and pretty much a guaranteed kill on anything that isn’t a giant. Like you said, they’re also probably the best at taking down the tanks, as well.

Soldiers can also be killing machines with upgrades to their launchers clip and reload speed. A twelve-rocket clip is the max, I think, with a reload speed of a few seconds for all twelve rockets. This, paired with maybe faster firing speed, makes them the most powerful front-line class in MvM. No joke, they can probably wreck an entire wave with nothing but support from their allies, as long as nothing gets past them. They’re mainly useful on the chokehold maps, but can be useful on Mannworks.

Heavies are unnecessary, but their high damage output is great for tanks and for standing in the middle of the path with a dispenser at hand ripping anything nearby to shreds.

What you said about the Engineer was pretty much spot on, but I’d recommend picking up one or two instant-level-3 chugs for your canteen in the event your nest does get taken down. They’ve saved my team on more than one occasion.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:26AM EDT

Hey! You must login or signup first!