Forums / Discussion / General

171,298 total conversations in 5,503 threads

+ New Thread


What's so bad about 9gag?

Last posted May 28, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT. Added May 23, 2012 at 05:48PM EDT
39 posts from 27 users

I don’t understand. Everyone at KYM seems to hate it. Why? I see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited May 23, 2012 at 05:50PM EDT
May 23, 2012 at 05:48PM EDT
Quote

They force memes out of the butt hole.
And over use them.
That is normally the two things that is usually associated with the hate of 9gag that I know the most.

Last edited May 23, 2012 at 05:50PM EDT
May 23, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT
Quote

9Gag is great. Watch out for those KYM fags though.

May 23, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT
Quote

It’s a large assortment of things piling up together to make one thing.

They’re an image-sharing site that slaps a watermark on stuff, and rarely credits the creator, for one. KYM prides itself on giving credit where credit is due, and 9gag is renowned for claiming credit on stuff that isn’t theirs.

The watermark itself pisses a lot of people off, because it claims stuff for 9gag, when they’re designed to have content from other sites added to them.

On top of that, they seem to be very prideful of themselves, for no reason. The self-proclaimed ‘9gag army’ (who stole their catchphrase from Anonymous) tries to stick its nose into all sorts of shit, such as attempting to screw with 4chan.

As mentioned, they also try to force memes, lay claim to memes they didn’t create, and then overuse memes.

Any of these things alone wouldn’t be too bad, but piling together in one site makes 9gag looked down upon.

May 23, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT
Quote

the main reason is that my grandmother sent me a rage comic from 9gag and said that it was “precious”

I blame facebook…

Last edited May 23, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT
May 23, 2012 at 05:59PM EDT
Quote
  1. People tend to be ignorant. Most people probably don’t even have a legit reason to hate 9gag. It’s because 9gag receives so much hate everywhere (not only KYM), people automatically assume the site sucks and they join in on the hate. Some also join in on the hate for shits and giggles.
  2. Watermarks. 9gag puts a huge watermark below their images. This makes people believe 9gag “claims” that meme as theirs, even if they aren’t the original author. This then comes with hate. Irony here is that a lot of sites use watermarks. Hell, even Cheezburger (which KYM is part of) uses watermarks. I often find this a very bad argument, but people use it.
  3. Ignorance of 9gag’s userbase. There are plenty of users who think 9gag is superior. That 9gag has created numerous memes which are obviously not created by them. This annoys people. I don’t really blame them for hating the community because of this. Problem here though is generalising. If one or two 9gag users say a certain meme came from 9gag, people automatically assume the entire 9gag community shares that opinion.
  4. Forcing of memes. 9gag has created numerous small advice animals, rage faces and other stuff on the site. People often claim these creations “memes” way too quickly. Most of these creations hardly ever spread outside of 9gag, but that doesn’t always stop users to claim them memes. This gives others the idea 9gag is forcing memes (which is somewhat true). The “forcing” of memes isn’t really respected online and often results in hate.
  5. Rage Comics. 9gag tends to feature a lot of Rage Comics. To many visitors of 9gag they are pretty new. But to the rest of the internet, they’re old and overused, often not funny. Sites like 9gag and Reddit that tend to feature a lot of Rage Comics often receive negative feedback. I know 9gag also features plenty of other stuff, but people aren’t able to see those once they see a Rage Comic.

As for me. I don’t hate 9gag. I don’t even see the above reasons being big enough to hate a site. It’s a popular site, why bother? If a site such as 9gag bothers people that much, I wonder how they can do their daily chores without going beserk. 9gag is one of a billion sites, yet people focus all their hate towards 9gag.

But even then I don’t blame others for hating 9gag, people are free to have an opinion. I just greatly dislike bad arguments, something which you unfortunately often come across online.

Last edited May 23, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT
May 23, 2012 at 06:00PM EDT
Quote

I wouldn’t say that I strongly hate 9gag, but I just kinda have a distaste for it. The jokes there are usually just not funny or overdone for me.

May 23, 2012 at 06:01PM EDT
Quote

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

It’s a large assortment of things piling up together to make one thing.

They’re an image-sharing site that slaps a watermark on stuff, and rarely credits the creator, for one. KYM prides itself on giving credit where credit is due, and 9gag is renowned for claiming credit on stuff that isn’t theirs.

The watermark itself pisses a lot of people off, because it claims stuff for 9gag, when they’re designed to have content from other sites added to them.

On top of that, they seem to be very prideful of themselves, for no reason. The self-proclaimed ‘9gag army’ (who stole their catchphrase from Anonymous) tries to stick its nose into all sorts of shit, such as attempting to screw with 4chan.

As mentioned, they also try to force memes, lay claim to memes they didn’t create, and then overuse memes.

Any of these things alone wouldn’t be too bad, but piling together in one site makes 9gag looked down upon.

Valid point here.

May 23, 2012 at 06:02PM EDT
Quote

it’s not about 9gag, it’s not about facebook, it’s not even about memes

it’s about people sucking at humor, and for reposted memes to be hilarious, the requirements must be met

1. you are a veteran, well knowledged in memes
2. you are witty
3. you don’t just take part in memes because you’re supposed to
4. you use the meme properly
5. you are not from 9gag

May 23, 2012 at 06:14PM EDT
Quote

I think RandomMan nailed it. As for myself, I finally checked out the site, and didn’t think it was as bad as people say, but it wasn’t anything special either. Just a typical meme site, nothing more. I don’t mind old or even forced memes, though. They can sometimes be funny (to me, at least), and I’m not sure why they piss people off so much.
I would also like to point out to Lasers that 4chan actually attacked 9gag first.
So yeah, nothing special, and they do overuse and force memes, but it’s not as bad as most people say.

May 23, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT

I don’t hate the site because I’ve never been and I’m not ignorant.

Although, I’ll take the stereotype and presume it’s bad for now.

May 23, 2012 at 06:20PM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

I don’t hate the site because I’ve never been and I’m not ignorant.

Although, I’ll take the stereotype and presume it’s bad for now.

Which makes you ignorant. Besides the claims of others, you can’t back up your opinion.

May 23, 2012 at 06:50PM EDT
Quote

Reasons why?
1. They claim copyright of memes or pictures that they did not create.
2. 9gaggers force memes and overuse them.
3. The 9gaggers (let’s call them gaggers for reasons) take pride in themselves too much and that pisses everyone off.
4. Gaggers suck -(and I do mean SUCK) at hacking due to their inexperience but still try to hack other websites.
5. They stick their noses in everything that doesn’t have to do with them.

Last edited May 23, 2012 at 10:21PM EDT
May 23, 2012 at 10:20PM EDT
Quote

I think RandomMan’s first reason is the best one. I bet at least half the people who hate 9gag don’t have a clue about most of the following points. I for one, am fine with 9gag so far, they haven’t done anything to bother me. And it takes a lot of guts to stand up to 4chan.

May 24, 2012 at 02:20AM EDT
Quote

9Gag is the Nickelback of internet websites. It’s a pretty bad site, repetitive and uncreative, but really doesn’t deserve as much hate as it gets.

May 24, 2012 at 02:35AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Which makes you ignorant. Besides the claims of others, you can’t back up your opinion.

…..what?

Do I have to have a justifiable opinion on something where I have very little information? Far fetched, man, far fetched. Please don’t call me ignorant on one small thing.

May 24, 2012 at 03:05AM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

…..what?

Do I have to have a justifiable opinion on something where I have very little information? Far fetched, man, far fetched. Please don’t call me ignorant on one small thing.

As the topic here is 9gag, I’m calling you ignorant on the topic of 9gag. I never claimed you ignorant on everything, you simply assumed this.

May 24, 2012 at 04:11AM EDT
Quote

You know, I suspect a lot of the hate for 9gag is for reasons similar to those that have made people hate us. It’s not really that the site is bad (aside from the watermarks, which I think are really more for advertising than “claiming memes”) but that the worst examples of their userbase tend to spill out into other areas of the Internet and give a bad name to the better folks that no doubt are among them. And it’s just par for the course when it comes to meme humor, since as Kim Jong put it, if “you are a veteran, well knowledged in memes” then you know better than to take some stale joke that’s been floating around the Internet for years and run off to Facebook saying, “Look at this hilarious meme that someone on 9gag made!”

9gag is a relatively new site, and therefore is largely composed of relatively new users, not just to 9gag, but the Internet in general. Those who are meme “veterans” most likely already have a favorite hang-out on the Internet where they share their humor, so they don’t bother with a new site. Give 9gag a couple years, and the 9gaggers will mellow out and be less annoying. Then somebody elsewhere can start a new image sharing site we can all hate.

May 24, 2012 at 04:43AM EDT
Quote

It feels like this is the seventh “why do people hate 9gag” thread in the last three months.

May 24, 2012 at 08:59AM EDT
Quote

I hate 9GAG because some idiots I know claim that it’s where all the memes come from. And due to their ignorance, they won’t even bother being open-minded enough to accept that memes came before 9GAG. It pisses me off how stubborn they are.

Incident 1

Person 1: I’m such a 9 (even though it’s read as Nine-Ball and not Nine).
Person 2: Hey, you know Touhou?
Person 1: What’s Touhou? I got it from 9GAG.

Incident 2

Person 1: What’s that site?
Person 2: Oh, it’s Reddit.
Person 1: looks at a few images Hey! It’s stealing things from 9GAG! (Oh, the irony)

There are many more accounts of such incidents, but two examples are enough to explain the idea.

Last edited May 24, 2012 at 09:03AM EDT
May 24, 2012 at 09:02AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

It feels like this is the seventh “why do people hate 9gag” thread in the last three months.

“And we have become exceedingly efficient at it.”

May 24, 2012 at 11:29AM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

…..what?

Do I have to have a justifiable opinion on something where I have very little information? Far fetched, man, far fetched. Please don’t call me ignorant on one small thing.

You said you’ve never been to the site, and are jumping on the bandwagon based on the negative reaction to it. That’s the very definition of ignorance in a particular subject.


Not hating or anything, just saying.

May 25, 2012 at 12:11AM EDT
Quote

Nintendork64 wrote:

I think RandomMan nailed it. As for myself, I finally checked out the site, and didn’t think it was as bad as people say, but it wasn’t anything special either. Just a typical meme site, nothing more. I don’t mind old or even forced memes, though. They can sometimes be funny (to me, at least), and I’m not sure why they piss people off so much.
I would also like to point out to Lasers that 4chan actually attacked 9gag first.
So yeah, nothing special, and they do overuse and force memes, but it’s not as bad as most people say.

Nah, he didn’t hit the nail on the head, he smashed it in with Mjolnir.

May 25, 2012 at 01:13AM EDT
Quote

Pseudogenesis wrote:

You said you’ve never been to the site, and are jumping on the bandwagon based on the negative reaction to it. That’s the very definition of ignorance in a particular subject.


Not hating or anything, just saying.

You’re too late, case closed, misinterpretation. (Also I’m not “hopping on the bandwagon” I’m guessing.)

May 25, 2012 at 10:49AM EDT
Quote

Reposts, Butthurt, all that jazz.

That being said, being a Redditor, I might be a little biased.

Last edited May 25, 2012 at 11:09AM EDT
May 25, 2012 at 11:08AM EDT
Quote

Dude, if you think about it, at the end of the day 9gag is just a website. The same goes for Reddit, 4chan etc. the internet is an extremely complex and biased . Each website has its own kind of community and within those communities you would find every type of personality around. 9gag says it invented memes but its not like the whole 9gag community will agree on that. At the end of the day they are just websites, I personally don’t give a fuck about this at all, there are much more important things to fight about. Just stick with the website you find entertaining, if you like it don’t let this stuff bother you.

I am a 9gagger and I tried to look at this from and unbiased perspective and I see your points. But my point is try and think of it from a 9gaggers perspective. Don’t act like you didn’t do anything to us ( that’s right 4chan ).

But really intelligent people know when not to give a fuck.
And that’s right now.

May 26, 2012 at 01:12AM EDT
Quote

TigerBlood wrote:

Dude, if you think about it, at the end of the day 9gag is just a website. The same goes for Reddit, 4chan etc. the internet is an extremely complex and biased . Each website has its own kind of community and within those communities you would find every type of personality around. 9gag says it invented memes but its not like the whole 9gag community will agree on that. At the end of the day they are just websites, I personally don’t give a fuck about this at all, there are much more important things to fight about. Just stick with the website you find entertaining, if you like it don’t let this stuff bother you.

I am a 9gagger and I tried to look at this from and unbiased perspective and I see your points. But my point is try and think of it from a 9gaggers perspective. Don’t act like you didn’t do anything to us ( that’s right 4chan ).

But really intelligent people know when not to give a fuck.
And that’s right now.

I don’t hate 9GAG, to be honest.

I just hate the people there, with them being incredibly biased and misinformed when it comes to memes. They should at least add sources.

May 26, 2012 at 01:35AM EDT
Quote

Flimsy wrote:

I don’t hate 9GAG, to be honest.

I just hate the people there, with them being incredibly biased and misinformed when it comes to memes. They should at least add sources.

“I don’t hate the collective, I hate the members that make up the collective.”

And, just to make sure that I’m being fair about pointing out flaws in argument:

Dude, if you think about it, at the end of the day 9gag is just a website. The same goes for Reddit, 4chan etc. the internet is an extremely complex and biased . Each website has its own kind of community and within those communities you would find every type of personality around. 9gag says it invented memes but its not like the whole 9gag community will agree on that. At the end of the day they are just websites, I personally don’t give a fuck about this at all, there are much more important things to fight about. Just stick with the website you find entertaining, if you like it don’t let this stuff bother you.
I am a 9gagger and I tried to look at this from and unbiased perspective and I see your points. But my point is try and think of it from a 9gaggers perspective. Don’t act like you didn’t do anything to us ( that’s right 4chan ).
But really intelligent people know when not to give a fuck.
And that’s right now.

1. You are identifying yourself with a group by referring to yourself as a “9gagger”. Therefore, you are inherently saying that 9gag is more than a website, because if their social aspect is enough to give people reason to identify themselves as a user, it’s a cultural hub, at whatever level. I.E., 9gag is just as responsible for its issues as any other group.

2. You say “fuck” a lot, and therefore I can’t take you seriously.

I have no inherent issue with 9gag, and trying to spread memes is natural, but if they’re taking credit for other people’s works, that’s a problem.

Last edited May 26, 2012 at 02:10AM EDT
May 26, 2012 at 01:56AM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

“I don’t hate the collective, I hate the members that make up the collective.”

And, just to make sure that I’m being fair about pointing out flaws in argument:

Dude, if you think about it, at the end of the day 9gag is just a website. The same goes for Reddit, 4chan etc. the internet is an extremely complex and biased . Each website has its own kind of community and within those communities you would find every type of personality around. 9gag says it invented memes but its not like the whole 9gag community will agree on that. At the end of the day they are just websites, I personally don’t give a fuck about this at all, there are much more important things to fight about. Just stick with the website you find entertaining, if you like it don’t let this stuff bother you.
I am a 9gagger and I tried to look at this from and unbiased perspective and I see your points. But my point is try and think of it from a 9gaggers perspective. Don’t act like you didn’t do anything to us ( that’s right 4chan ).
But really intelligent people know when not to give a fuck.
And that’s right now.

1. You are identifying yourself with a group by referring to yourself as a “9gagger”. Therefore, you are inherently saying that 9gag is more than a website, because if their social aspect is enough to give people reason to identify themselves as a user, it’s a cultural hub, at whatever level. I.E., 9gag is just as responsible for its issues as any other group.

2. You say “fuck” a lot, and therefore I can’t take you seriously.

I have no inherent issue with 9gag, and trying to spread memes is natural, but if they’re taking credit for other people’s works, that’s a problem.

What I mean is that I don’t hate the content but the “contributors”.

You got it all wrong.

Last edited May 27, 2012 at 07:50AM EDT
May 27, 2012 at 07:49AM EDT
Quote

Flimsy wrote:

What I mean is that I don’t hate the content but the “contributors”.

You got it all wrong.

The 1% are the worst, aren’t they?

May 27, 2012 at 10:57AM EDT
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

The 1% are the worst, aren’t they?

That’s the cause in nearly every group or fandom, the worst percent always creates a bad reputation for the entire group. As I said in my first post, the problem here is generalising. When one or more people in the groups act like an idiot, the entire group often receives the same stamp.

- Not all furries or bronies constantly fap to porn.
- Not all blacks are criminals.
- Not all 9gaggers are idiots who claim memes theirs.
- Etc.

Unfortunately this is forgotten way too often.

May 27, 2012 at 11:17AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

That’s the cause in nearly every group or fandom, the worst percent always creates a bad reputation for the entire group. As I said in my first post, the problem here is generalising. When one or more people in the groups act like an idiot, the entire group often receives the same stamp.

- Not all furries or bronies constantly fap to porn.
- Not all blacks are criminals.
- Not all 9gaggers are idiots who claim memes theirs.
- Etc.

Unfortunately this is forgotten way too often.

Ahhh, stereotypes.

May 27, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

“I don’t hate the collective, I hate the members that make up the collective.”

And, just to make sure that I’m being fair about pointing out flaws in argument:

Dude, if you think about it, at the end of the day 9gag is just a website. The same goes for Reddit, 4chan etc. the internet is an extremely complex and biased . Each website has its own kind of community and within those communities you would find every type of personality around. 9gag says it invented memes but its not like the whole 9gag community will agree on that. At the end of the day they are just websites, I personally don’t give a fuck about this at all, there are much more important things to fight about. Just stick with the website you find entertaining, if you like it don’t let this stuff bother you.
I am a 9gagger and I tried to look at this from and unbiased perspective and I see your points. But my point is try and think of it from a 9gaggers perspective. Don’t act like you didn’t do anything to us ( that’s right 4chan ).
But really intelligent people know when not to give a fuck.
And that’s right now.

1. You are identifying yourself with a group by referring to yourself as a “9gagger”. Therefore, you are inherently saying that 9gag is more than a website, because if their social aspect is enough to give people reason to identify themselves as a user, it’s a cultural hub, at whatever level. I.E., 9gag is just as responsible for its issues as any other group.

2. You say “fuck” a lot, and therefore I can’t take you seriously.

I have no inherent issue with 9gag, and trying to spread memes is natural, but if they’re taking credit for other people’s works, that’s a problem.

“2. You say “fuck” a lot, and therefore I can’t take you seriously.”


How long have you been on the internet? Fuck is a holy word here. I demand you pay it proper respect.

May 27, 2012 at 11:41PM EDT
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

because it’s the cool thing to hate right now.

just like Justin Bieber, Call of Duty, Rebbecca Black, furries etc.

May 28, 2012 at 06:57AM EDT
Quote

Whenever I go to 9gag, I just find it really hard to laugh. Seriously, even the content that isn’t complete crap doesn’t move me. Of course, it is the same with /b/‘s “You laugh, you lose” threads, although the YLYL threads have much better content than the both the hot page and trending page of 9gag. And, aside from the YLYL threads, the flame war threads are usually amusing to me, and sometimes I laugh at those. And then there’s the rare post that has a perfect snarky ironic response to a stupid post (See “OP is a Fag”).

May 28, 2012 at 11:15AM EDT
Quote

EVERYTHING……………………………………………………..

May 28, 2012 at 04:53PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!