Forums / Discussion / General

168,633 total conversations in 5,403 threads

+ New Thread

Why Video Game Structure is like a Pizza

Last posted Jun 09, 2012 at 02:56PM EDT. Added May 24, 2012 at 09:49AM EDT
13 posts from 11 users

The wonderful Teh Brawler posted an opinion piece using Pizza as an analogy for the structure of a video game. I highly recommend reading it, it’s a fascinating read and you might not eat another pizza without wondering what video-game it represents.

A condensed version for the incredibly lazy (make sure you read it though!):

The design, rules and controls are represented by the bread / dough of the pizza, tomato sauce is the graphics, sounds and aesthetics, cheese is the story / premise and toppings is the content.

I personally think it’s a surprisingly appropriate comparison. Some further points; both cheese in pizza and plots in video-games aren’t mandatory. Many games exist with no / minimal stories such as how not all pizzas have cheese. In both cases, the absence of both doesn’t always take away from the experience seeing as it is not the focus.

Secondly, all pizzas have tomato sauce such as all games have interactivity with graphics and sound. Games have different styles from your hyper-realistic games to your retro-style pixel games whereas pizza has different amounts of sauce used in conjunction with its other elements, like how a game combines its visual and audio feedback with its story, content and design.

Last edited May 24, 2012 at 09:49AM EDT
May 24, 2012 at 09:49AM EDT

Could you please use this analogy against the American government so that they may reconsider its classification please?

Last edited May 24, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT
May 24, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT

Nice way to kill time in history class. Thanks, guys.

May 24, 2012 at 11:53AM EDT
Secondly, all pizzas have tomato sauce such as all games have interactivity with graphics and sound. Games have different styles from your hyper-realistic games to your retro-style pixel games whereas pizza has different amounts of sauce used in conjunction with its other elements, like how a game combines its visual and audio feedback with its story, content and design.

I just read this again, and I can’t figure out whether I made this point somewhere, or you came up with it on your own, but, either way, one of us is smarter than I intended.

May 24, 2012 at 06:46PM EDT

Actually, the two points about cheese and plots not being mandatory and tomato sauce and the aesthetics coming in different shapes and sizes were just little extra analogies I added in based on your words.

May 24, 2012 at 09:42PM EDT

I’m impressed! This is a well thought out metaphor that is thoroughly defended and fits well. In fact, I’m not sure whether this metaphor isn’t applicable to all games in a more general sense.

May 25, 2012 at 01:08PM EDT

wait wait wait. he took a CLASS on VIDEO GAME THEORY? WHERE IS THIS FANTASTIC LEARNING ESTABLISHMENT?

May 31, 2012 at 04:49AM EDT

This is why I love you, Brawler.

Your words make so much sense.

May 31, 2012 at 06:12AM EDT

I am impressed with the analysis. I’ll take the one with a thick crust with cheese inside, not too much tomato sauce, because too much just makes it irritating to use with the plate that I have. Cheese is great, and I would like every type of topping as long as I don’t have to chew it excessively to enjoy it.

Jun 09, 2012 at 01:40PM EDT

>MFW I saw the Title

>MFW I saw the content of this thread

Jun 09, 2012 at 01:52PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!