Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

The Zombie Outbreak has Begun!

Last posted Jun 04, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT. Added May 27, 2012 at 06:29PM EDT
100 posts from 29 users

What you could do is modify this fungus to be a bit more hardy and tough, and make it produce rabies proteins. Not a living rabies virus, just the proteins that cause rabies to heighten aggression.

Spreading through the air could be a serious issue though, since that would cause it to spread out of control, making it not the most viable weapon.

However, if it got out before it was finished…

EDIT: PAGE GET

Last edited Jun 01, 2012 at 10:00PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

What you could do is modify this fungus to be a bit more hardy and tough, and make it produce rabies proteins. Not a living rabies virus, just the proteins that cause rabies to heighten aggression.

Spreading through the air could be a serious issue though, since that would cause it to spread out of control, making it not the most viable weapon.

However, if it got out before it was finished…

EDIT: PAGE GET

Well who knows, evolution has it ways too. (WHICH WILL TAKE FOREVER).

Also yeah, letting something like that out is essentially single handedly dooming all humans on the planet.

Last edited Jun 01, 2012 at 10:03PM EDT

Troll King wrote:

We need to establish an Internet meeting place in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Everyone from 4chan, funnyjunk, reddit, and even 9gag will pick one city to fortify.

9gag can get New Jersey. Or at least a hot tropical area where it's like a rain forest that have been known for virus breeding grounds.

KYM can go to Alaska where the weather may be more cold, but it is better like this for us.

Troll King wrote:

We need to establish an Internet meeting place in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Everyone from 4chan, funnyjunk, reddit, and even 9gag will pick one city to fortify.

There are fortified bunkers in the middle of nowhere that are used to store seed reserves in case of an ecological collapse. If we can find one and break in then we will have both a solid fortification and a ready supply of food.

Apparently there's a rumor going around saying that a "virus" called "LQP-79" is the cause of outbreak.

CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) has stated:

"CDC does not know of a virus or condition that would reanimate the dead (or one that would present zombie-like symptoms)"

"LQP-79" is a "newly found" (in 2010) bacterium called Mycoplasma laboratorium, which was nicknamed "Synthia".

Last edited Jun 01, 2012 at 10:54PM EDT

Troll King wrote:

If you guys can, come to Orland California. Get to Sacremento and take I-5 north for 2-3 hours (If you have a car) and you end up right in it. We'll probably have the road area barricaded and guarded, so you'll know when you get there. Just don't try to charge in and you'll be fine. Tell the guards that you want to speak to Sting Auer.

Oh good god I just realised how big of a nerd I actually am. I came up with a plan for the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited Jun 01, 2012 at 11:14PM EDT

OH CRAP.

You know, maybe we should just kill off Lori and (judging from comments on issue 100 by Rob) Carl soon on the show.

Carl's already suicidal. (in the comics) We know it's gonna happen.

But still, I'm gonna move to Woodbury soon. Did anyone here know that the baby's Shane's? I was shocked!

But in apocalypse plans… I'd search for a farm, possibly a ranch. Grow some food. Maybe look for survivors. In all honesty, it's every man for himself.

All of our toast is burnt, and no amounts of scraping will get it off. We're screwed.

Sting_Auer, I hope you know about the Chaos Theory. Everything's gonna fail the more you make it bigger and stronger. Look at Rome. Torn by war, it fell. Spread out too much. In fact, they were really close to collapse when the Plebeians left the area. They were basically slave workers. Lived in a crappy society.

We need a universal place for Internet nerds to barricade. We may have no social lives, poor physical abilities, and terrible survival skills…but when it comes to a zombie apocalypse we are the only ones who know what we're doing. Once we all agree on a specific city to fortify (and a starting building), we must spread it to every corner of the Internet that would be willing to help. We need a large city with a low population but several resources. Any ideas?

Troll King wrote:

We need a universal place for Internet nerds to barricade. We may have no social lives, poor physical abilities, and terrible survival skills…but when it comes to a zombie apocalypse we are the only ones who know what we're doing. Once we all agree on a specific city to fortify (and a starting building), we must spread it to every corner of the Internet that would be willing to help. We need a large city with a low population but several resources. Any ideas?

Orland California. It's a town with 5000 people, the center area has a lot of brick buildings and the roads aren't too wide. I-5 goes straight through it, so we could easily get to other towns to forage if need be.

As far as resources, Orland has a TON of farming equipment, some construction equipment, and wood. I mean tons of it. There are lots of trees too, so once we run out of the already cut wood we can start getting more very easily.

It also has a small illegal firearms thing going on (The guy who runs the dollar store already got busted for it once, and his son got busted for dealing cocaine). As far as everyone knows, they learned their lessons and have stopped doing it, but chances are there are still automatic weapons and other powerful guns there.

For defense, we have a few options. We can fortify the schools and spread out our populations between all three of them, or we could fortify the center part of town.

If we fortify the schools, we can convert the fields into farms. The high school also has a school farm really close by that has walnuts, almonds, and other nuts, which we could clear out and replace with higher-yield crops, preferably vegetables. Topping the chain link fences with either razor wire or barbed wire would be easy as well, and would help keep people and zombies out.

If we fortify the center area of the town, we won't be able to grow food quite as easily. It has some dirt areas, but they're really rocky and pretty hard-packed. However, the farming equipment could be used to mitigate that. The center area has a hardware store, a 4-story brick building with barred up windows, and all of the buildings are right next to each other with easy roof access.

Orland also has scrap metal, and we could always cannibalize the cars and whatnot to get more.

Preferably, we would use spears made of wood and metal, and crossbows that fired metal-tipped bolts. We could use armor made of wood and cloth, since zombies are unlikely to be using weapons other than claws and teeth. We would want to save the firearms for when we get attacked by other armed people.

We could also raid the library for information on how to make or build things, as well as information on how to treat wounds or mend broken bones. Maps would also be very useful.

Orland's population would also help. 5,000 people is enough to be able to get a lot done, but not so much that we are at risk of uncontrolled infection. It would be rather easy to quarantine individuals we expect of being infected.

If infection does happen, and we need to terminate infected people, we will need uniforms for the people who clean the "quarantine pits" as we will likely call them. I suggest thick gloves that go up to the elbow, motorcycle helmets with visors intact, a weapon of some sort just in case, and a thick cloak made of an easily washable material.

We will also need a place to dump the bodies. We can't hold a funeral for every person that dies, not when we would be so strapped for time. I vote that we cremate all of our dead to avoid any risk of contamination.

I know this is a long read, but I'm bored, and honestly, a little bit worried by this recent string of cannibalistic events.

EDIT: Bring your computers if you can, as well as your routers and wireless receivers. After we get electricity working again, we can use them. Bring any games you can as well, since we will need something to do to keep morale up.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 12:09PM EDT

SpycrabKiller wrote:

@Sting_auer

I'm actually getting a bit worried by all these murders now. I want to know if you plan to go through with this.

Oh if hell hits the fan and sets everything on fire, I am most definitely pulling through with that plan. My friends and I back in Orland would talk about hypothetical apocalypse stuff, and this is the plan we came up with.

So yeah, if it gets bad, that's what I'm doing. Most of my friends and family live in or near Orland, and it's secluded and small. Excellent to make a stand against undead.

Remember, if you do come to Orland and are confronted by guards, tell them you want to speak to Sting Auer. That will sort of be our "safety code" to know if an outsider should be allowed to come see me.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 01:27PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

Oh if hell hits the fan and sets everything on fire, I am most definitely pulling through with that plan. My friends and I back in Orland would talk about hypothetical apocalypse stuff, and this is the plan we came up with.

So yeah, if it gets bad, that's what I'm doing. Most of my friends and family live in or near Orland, and it's secluded and small. Excellent to make a stand against undead.

Remember, if you do come to Orland and are confronted by guards, tell them you want to speak to Sting Auer. That will sort of be our "safety code" to know if an outsider should be allowed to come see me.

(Replying to this post because the other one is too long.)

I like this plan, though I worry that cremation might only make things worse. If the virus can survive the hear then it might just hitch a ride in the smoke and spread around. A burial in some cordoned-off place might work better until we know what we are dealing with.

Also, I suggest scouting around for a school to start at. It should be large and close to resources. It will be the main meeting ground when everything starts and should serve as a homebase thereafter. We should also try to keep it continuously occupied, and include information within it of any additional bases, meeting areas, or supply caches – first because we want anyone who arrives late to the party will need to be able to find us, and second because if the main base is abandoned we want whoever might come across it later to be able to find whatever is left of us.

Anyway, when you find a school take a screenshot of it from Google Earth at various distances away (just the property – city block – general area – whole city – county – state) keeping the school centred and marked each time. Also include with the images the address and contact information. This should then all be packaged together (maybe as a single jpg with all the images, a description of the basic plan, and all of the rest) so that it can be easily distributed around the internet (the jpg is, after all, the universal tongue of the internet). We need to spread this far and wide, or else it will be useless.

I agree with you that we should spread it around as much as possible if need be.

However, too many people could be an issue, mainly with the risk of betrayal. However, that could be dealt with easily by having a dedicated militia standing guard at all times.

I really doubt that the disease could survive the heat required to cremate a human body. Cremations use nearly 1,000 Celsius. No cellular structure can survive that. The heat tears it apart at the molecular level.

All of the schools are within about 5 blocks of each other, so we don't necessarily need to pick one and stick to only that one. The actual "town" part of Orland is very small; we could easily secure everything with a few hundred people.

We have a few thousand people. It shouldn't be difficult at all to secure the town and catch anyone trying to enter.

Note to the mods: I'm going to do a couple of posts in a row, but only because I have a lot to type right now. I want to try to separate the 3 things I'm saying so that someone can quote the specific thing they want to reply to without quoting a huge block of text.

here is a picture of the section of Orland we want to make the most use of.

The "B" marker is the CK price middle school, the purple marker is the High School, and the Green marker is the Mill Street kindergarten-third grade school.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 06:07PM EDT

Now onto the topic of resource gathering:

Food: Until we could get farming set up, we would have to rely on canned food and hunting. There are a lot of people with hunting equipment in Orland, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

We would also need to ration food. Food would essentially be the currency of our group. The farmers turn the food in to the leaders, and the leaders distribute the food.

Waste removal: How will we do this? the sewer systems won't be functioning. I think that a sort of community septic tank would work best. We could have a few chamber pot rooms throughout the town that we would empty and clean daily

Water isn't an issue, there is a lake at the Lely Aquatic Park (Green letters in the bottom right of the image), and we can easily clean that water for use.

Power. Another important topic. While we can survive without electricity, it would be ideal to have electricity. lots of people have generators, and there are a few gas stations that would last us a while. The problem is that we will run out of gasoline eventually, and we should prioritize gasoline usage for farm equipment.

Fuel: We can make biodiesel out of vegetable or animal fat, so we would want to have most of our vehicles be diesel powered to allow for easy fueling. An alternative could be to use electricity for our vehicles.

We could also use electrolysis to turn water into hydrogen and oxygen, which can be used for fuel. This wouldn't be possible until after we had electricity though.

Gasifiers would be useful too. Essentially, you heat wood without burning it and collect the gas it produces. It can be used in some engines and would make great cooking fuel, since it's functionally identical to natural gas.

Weapons: We would NOT want to use our firearms all the time. The ammunition would be limited. Instead, I vote that we use crossbows and other simple-to-make weapons that utilize stored kinetic energy. Melee weapons would be very useful too, since blades don't need to be reloaded.

I think that spears and axe-like weapons would be the best choices.Spears because of their long reach, and axes because they are multipurpose and easy to use.

Armor: Regular clothing with wood plating would be best. It's light, easy to make, and strong enough to withstand an unarmed opponent. If need be, we can make "fish scale" armor out of metal and cloth.

We would want to use shields as well. I think that wood shields should suffice. The spearmen should use full-body shields that are as tall as them, and the axemen should use smaller, more nimble shields. Crossbowmen would have the same shields as the axemen.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 06:40PM EDT

The post went over the character limit, here's the other half

Structural defense: Chain link fences and wooden barricades would be plenty until we can start to work on stone, brick, or cement reinforcements. Barbed wire would be extremely useful, as would razor wire.

Wooden spikes pointing outwards would be a good idea as well, as a deterrent. However, we shouldn't worry about setting these up until after we have chain link fences or wooden barricades.

Pets: Any dog capable of hunting should be put to use. Cats can be left to roam on their own, as they can find their own food. Small "toy" animals such as chihuahuas and whatnot are to be taken care of by their owners, and will not be given food from the stocks. As heartless as it sounds, we can't waste resources on a useless animal.

Disease control: Cleaning blood and waste material would be top priority. We can't risk any spread of disease of any kind. Zombie plague isn't the only thing we need to worry about; Cholera, Dysentery, etc. are very real dangers in an apocalyptic society.

For dealing with blood or bodies, I suggest we have a couple of people dedicated to the job. They would wear gloves, their bodies would be fully covered from head to toe in easy-to-clean materials, and they would wear helmets with face visors (Orland has a racetrack, we could use the racers helmets).

Cremation is a definite candidate for dealing with corpses. Alternatively, we could have mass burial grounds, although those would be massive breeding pits for vermin and disease. I vote for cremation and a community ash site, where we can leave the ashes of the dead to be carried away by the wind.

Infected birds: massive threat if the disease can infect birds. I vote flamethrowers powered by our gasifiers.

Military: We would need to defend against both external and internal attacks. Soldiers armed with crossbows or axes would make great internal defense people.

The police officers would definitely be used for police work, as well as as many level-headed people as we need. We can't just let anyone into the police force. We would want to use people who can keep calm and make rational decisions.

Government: We need a strong government in a situation like this. I vote for a monarchy with some Communist policies. We would need a leader that will listen to the people and make rational decisions.

I would nominate myself, but I don't know how I would be after it actually happens. I would likely be a nervous wreck, considering my anxiety disorder. However, I have shown that I can act quickly and keep calm during a crisis. If I can stay calm, and continue to think with a level head, I nominate myself.

Housing: Group dormitories based on class. Younger women capable of bearing children in the uppers levels of structures, along with children, the elderly, and the leaders. Men, older women, and warriors/police in the lower levels. Warriors/police would only be in the dormitories if they aren't currently in watch duty.

Sick people would be put in designated quarantine buildings away from the main housing and work areas to avoid disease.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 06:46PM EDT

For cleaning blood – anything with blood on it should be avoided until we know how to kill the bacteria. Boiling it should work, but we will need to run tests on animals to make sure. remember that the tools can't just be clean, they have to be sterile.

For food and bathrooms – we should try to concentrate our operations in as small an area as possible in order to reduce travelling to a minimum. We are at our most vulnerable when we are outside the compound.

Power – the best thing would be to secure renewable sources of energy. Solar panels and windmills would be the best if we can get them working. Another option would be to get a dynamo generator that we could power by stationary-bike, and just have people use it in shifts.

We also need to figure out what the goal of this colony will be. Are we going to re-take the city and establish a new government? Are we just trying to hold out until we can be rescued? Are we preparing an active eradication program, or are we only sweeping the areas we want to expand into? In either case, we will need to secure some reliable way of communicating with the outside world. If the internet and phones are all down, radio will probably be our best-bet. We can raid police cars for some equipment, and break into radio stations to broadcast farther. A big group will be better protected than a small one, and a larger group of people will have a greater pool of knowledge and expertise to draw on for solving problems (the bigger the group is, the better chance there will be of there being doctors/electricians/hunters etc.). Wide communication will allow us to call people to our safe haven, and will also make expansion easier.

We wouldn't want to call people in until we have these:

1.) Plenty of food. We need to have more food coming in than new people would be eating. For example, if we are producing, ten extra rations of food every day, we should only let 5 more people in.

2.) Necessary defenses. If we just let people in, there is a huge risk of betrayal or theft. We need to make sure to have a strong enough police force to deter people from crime, and to deal with people who do cause crime.

On the topic of power:

Solar panels would be an okay choice, but only if we have enough battery space to last us through the night/overcast days. Windmills would be better, as they are a bit more constant than solar panels. A person-powered generator is also a great idea, since we would likely have people that aren't doing work because of no work being available.

I think that the goal of our colony should just be to survive and thrive. We expand as needed and do what is needed to stay alive and live as comfortably as possible. We pretty much wing it from there and do what we need to.

On the topic of radio communication:

Radio would be very important to have, but we shouldn't necessarily broadcast messages until we are sure we are ready to fend off raiders. It is very likely that there would be groups that fake being distressed in order to get the locations of places they can raid.

Also, look at points #1 and #2 for more reasons why radio broadcasting wouldn't be the best idea in the beginning.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 07:04PM EDT

Guys, I have our battle music.

If our fortress is about to fall, we blast this over the intercom system.

And you know what we do if this starts to play? We kick ass, going down like Spartans.

Alternatively, this could be our Anthem.

Last edited Jun 02, 2012 at 07:46PM EDT

Platus wrote:

(Replying to this post because the other one is too long.)

I like this plan, though I worry that cremation might only make things worse. If the virus can survive the hear then it might just hitch a ride in the smoke and spread around. A burial in some cordoned-off place might work better until we know what we are dealing with.

Also, I suggest scouting around for a school to start at. It should be large and close to resources. It will be the main meeting ground when everything starts and should serve as a homebase thereafter. We should also try to keep it continuously occupied, and include information within it of any additional bases, meeting areas, or supply caches – first because we want anyone who arrives late to the party will need to be able to find us, and second because if the main base is abandoned we want whoever might come across it later to be able to find whatever is left of us.

Anyway, when you find a school take a screenshot of it from Google Earth at various distances away (just the property – city block – general area – whole city – county – state) keeping the school centred and marked each time. Also include with the images the address and contact information. This should then all be packaged together (maybe as a single jpg with all the images, a description of the basic plan, and all of the rest) so that it can be easily distributed around the internet (the jpg is, after all, the universal tongue of the internet). We need to spread this far and wide, or else it will be useless.

Enough heat to break down the proteins of the human body will break down the proteins of a virus. Cremation is therefore the best way to dispose of zombies. Also, for a Zombie-virus to be transmitted through biting, it would have to be fluid-born and therefore cannot be transmitted by air.

I'm not going to start spreading the word unless stuff continues to happen and gets worse. I don't want to jump the gun on this, chances are nothing is actually happening and it was just a string of drug users going insane.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 11:42AM EDT

Checklist of things I need:

Guns- need

Baseball bat- have

iPhone with charger- have

Rainbow Dash plushie- need

Hammer, nails, and boards- have

food and water- have

Now will lock myself in my room and board up all windows

Naw, this will be more like me:

Troll King wrote:

Come on, guys, we need more members. http://tizas.wikia.com/wiki/T.I.Z.A.S._Wiki

My wikia name is also Platus.

I just made a page dedicated to essentially the kind of discussion we are having now. I figure that crowdsourcing our plans will give us better results.

So if were going to find rations or foods, where exactly do we go looking in for?

Super-Markets would be probably be the last place to go since the food would have already been taken by hundreds during the panic that would occur if this situation happened, This includes all major super-markets like K-mart, Wal-Mart, Etc…

And I doubt you would share, let alone you would share your food.
So any plans?

We are basing ALL of this on the assumption that this is a disease resembling the T virus and that it will only be transferrable through fluids. Judging from these reports, it is MUCH more likely to be a rage virus, meaning that, while the Stains for Brains policy my not be AS necessary, they will also be FAST fucking zombies who are able to use clubbing weapons, among other things, not the shambling fucktards you're used to.

Last edited Jun 03, 2012 at 09:13PM EDT

in the hoppip over the sea wrote:

We are basing ALL of this on the assumption that this is a disease resembling the T virus and that it will only be transferrable through fluids. Judging from these reports, it is MUCH more likely to be a rage virus, meaning that, while the Stains for Brains policy my not be AS necessary, they will also be FAST fucking zombies who are able to use clubbing weapons, among other things, not the shambling fucktards you're used to.

This is why I think that the initial plan should be to hole up somewhere and observe. Only once we know what we're dealing with should we begin leaving the compound on missions. In the first little while we shouldn't even leave the main room, and we should make no noise – like a submarine hiding from depth charges.

Platus wrote:

This is why I think that the initial plan should be to hole up somewhere and observe. Only once we know what we're dealing with should we begin leaving the compound on missions. In the first little while we shouldn't even leave the main room, and we should make no noise – like a submarine hiding from depth charges.

>Zombie apocalypse
>Make no noise
Good luck with that bro. There's going to be kids freaking the FUCK out, find them a basement to go die play in.

in the hoppip over the sea wrote:

>Zombie apocalypse
>Make no noise
Good luck with that bro. There's going to be kids freaking the FUCK out, find them a basement to go die play in.

A basement is just a deathtrap. You need to head for high ground and then destroy the stairs. Attics are the best spots by far.

If we go for Orland, we will have plenty of food and raw material. It has a supermarket, and since we would likely be getting most of the population involved in our colony, we would be able to use the canned food from it. No doubt, there would be other people with food as well.

Also, I forgot about the fact that there are already TONS of farms planted. We don't necessarily need to start new ones, just make sure that the existing ones stay in good repair.

Also, yes, basements are bad. You want hills, towers, anything else that can give you the high ground.

As for the type of zombie, I think a "rage virus" as people are calling it is the most likely. It already exists in a few forms (rabies) and it would be the easiest to engineer; it's just a simple behavioral modification.

This also means that, in the early stages, the infected would likely still be able to use advanced weapons and be able to think on a human level, making them more dangerous early on in some ways, but more dangerous later in other ways.

💜✨KaijuSundae✨💜 wrote:

wait wait wait. There have been OTHER recent reports of cannibalistic murders? tell me more…

I saw a map that had all of them marked, and there were about 8 (I think) all within about a month or two of each other, all on the east coast of the US.

I live in Mississippi and no one lives here
AND NO THERE IS NO COTTON FARMS HERE SO MOVE ALONG
And Lasers can I live in your state I am like one state away :D

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 01:27PM EDT

If Bath Salts can do this to people who already have disorderly conduct, imagine what other drugs can do!

These Bath Salts may not even be the regular ones we get normally; in fact, these may be experimented Bath Salts that have similar effects to LCD…. if so; WHO THE FUCK MADE THEM?!

Karmacharged wrote:

If Bath Salts can do this to people who already have disorderly conduct, imagine what other drugs can do!

These Bath Salts may not even be the regular ones we get normally; in fact, these may be experimented Bath Salts that have similar effects to LCD…. if so; WHO THE FUCK MADE THEM?!

"Bath salts" is actually a misnomer. They are basically just a designer drug that works more similar to meth than anything else. The LSD stuff is just the media being their usual moronic self. This is what the drug looks like (via Wikipedia):

Guys…I think I thought up of something which would mean good news.
Sense the rage virus or what ever it will be will make a human so angry to hurt some one and in the process infecting them. Those that are infected will hurt each other as well. So if enough infected are in one area, they will end up killing each other instead, due to being so mad and full of white rage and stuff like that.

So that might be something good to think about. :D

Last edited Jun 04, 2012 at 05:57PM EDT

Ric Te$l@ wrote:

Guys…I think I thought up of something which would mean good news.
Sense the rage virus or what ever it will be will make a human so angry to hurt some one and in the process infecting them. Those that are infected will hurt each other as well. So if enough infected are in one area, they will end up killing each other instead, due to being so mad and full of white rage and stuff like that.

So that might be something good to think about. :D

Unless it can recognize other infected individuals, either by pheromone or vision.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!