Forums / Discussion / General

168,547 total conversations in 5,398 threads

+ New Thread

General General

Last posted May 31, 2012 at 08:24PM EDT. Added May 28, 2012 at 10:29AM EDT
29 posts from 20 users

This threads is about Generals. Generals are cool, they wear cool hats, and command entire armies…

like General Zhukov for example

he managed to win incredibly important battles when under terrible stress and with badly equipped and trained troops.
that’s pretty nice asskickery.

also General Montgomery who managed to defeat the Nazis in africa and turned the tide of the war in the favor of Britain with the victory of the EL-Alamein battle.

he pulled off a pretty awsome trick: made an entire fake army from scraps so when enemy recon planes saw them from above they thought the British were mobilizing their forces to the wrong place…

what generals do you like

May 28, 2012 at 10:29AM EDT

Lt General Romeo Dallaire, One of the few guys from the UN who saw the many attrocities comitted in the Rwandan Genocide. Because he was with the UN at the time, he could do little to prevent the Genocide, though he did try to save as many lives at possible.

It’s a shame very few people know little about him.

May 28, 2012 at 10:58AM EDT

General Ta Hun Kwai

Always love to tank rush people! But he sucks against General Townes…him and his freaking lasers…

But seriously:

Washington,
This man did so much for the U.S. when it was just a infant.
When people wanted him to be “king” he said no and only let them make him president. He totally could of turned America into a monarchy if he wanted too but he turned it down.
He is still seen as a war hero to this day.

Last edited May 28, 2012 at 11:16AM EDT
May 28, 2012 at 11:03AM EDT

General Ambrose Burnside.

Because those whiskers are God-tier.

May 28, 2012 at 06:55PM EDT

@Ric Tesla
George Washington is actually recognized by most historians as a terrible general. He almost no skill in battle. He did make America what it is today though.

May 28, 2012 at 07:10PM EDT

^ Well now compare Washington to this guy

General Winfield Scott
Served as Commanding General of the United States for 20 years, longest time served in history.
Captured several areas along Lake Erie and Niagra Falls during the War of 1812.
With all odds against him, successfully captured Mexico City during the Mecican-American War.
Ran for President in 1952 (lost, but still ran).
Devised his “Anaconda Plan” that ultimately led to economic failure of the Confederacy in the Civil War.
And much other other military notoriety, especially with Native American affairs during the Jackson administration.

May 28, 2012 at 09:44PM EDT

madcat wrote:

@Ric Tesla
George Washington is actually recognized by most historians as a terrible general. He almost no skill in battle. He did make America what it is today though.

Well, shit….my history teacher didn’t told me that. ):

May 28, 2012 at 10:40PM EDT

Ric Tesla wrote:

Well, shit….my history teacher didn’t told me that. ):

That’s because American history is all propaganda. You imperialist scum.

May 28, 2012 at 10:47PM EDT

I feel that Zhukov is overrated. In nearly every battle he fought, he lost more men than the enemy.

While you might say he’s using the greatest advantage of the Red Army (numbers) but I just feel he was kinda wielding a blunt instrument.

I feel General Vasily Chuikov is underrated and a more skilled commander, the Hero of Stalingrad pushed showed that he was a master of both urban and open combat (The 8th Guards Army that he commanded could advance nearly 40 miles a day).

May 29, 2012 at 03:42AM EDT

All those other bitches got nothing on RAAM.

Well, other than not dying at the end of the game.

May 29, 2012 at 03:49AM EDT

Olivia Gulin wrote:

General Specific is best general.

This is who I was thinking about. Thanks for jogging my memory :D

May 29, 2012 at 04:16PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

Bismark was a statesman, he was never a general or a soldier.

May 29, 2012 at 10:44PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Bismark was a statesman, he was never a general or a soldier.

Oh darn, I could have sworn he was a general at one point. My bad.

May 30, 2012 at 12:19AM EDT

Since we’re talking about generals, I want to introduce you to this great series called Generals at War which recreates famous battles on a CGI “planning board” with actors portraying the Generals involved and two modern day generals explaining the decisions of the competing historical generals.

The show lasted for six episodes:

The Battle of Stalingrad: Marshal Von Paulus vs Lt. General Vasily Chuikov

The Battle of Midway: Rear Admiral Fletcher vs Vice Admiral Chūichi Nagumo

The Battle of Al Al-Alamein: Rommel vs Monty

The Battle of Kursk: Field Marshal Erich von Manstein vs Red Army Marshal Georgy Zhukov

The Battle of the Bulge: General Omar Bradley and Field Marshal Walter Model

And my favourite:

The Battle of Singapore:Lieutenant General Arthur Percival vs Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita

The last one because very few people are familiar with the campaigns in South East Asia and China in WWII and Europe and the Pacific hog all the limelight. So I’ve embedded the episode for you below. All the above episodes are available on that dudes channel if you want to see more.

May 30, 2012 at 03:34PM EDT

Iced Hot Chocolate wrote:

^ Well now compare Washington to this guy

General Winfield Scott
Served as Commanding General of the United States for 20 years, longest time served in history.
Captured several areas along Lake Erie and Niagra Falls during the War of 1812.
With all odds against him, successfully captured Mexico City during the Mecican-American War.
Ran for President in 1952 (lost, but still ran).
Devised his “Anaconda Plan” that ultimately led to economic failure of the Confederacy in the Civil War.
And much other other military notoriety, especially with Native American affairs during the Jackson administration.

Wait what. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and he ran for president in 1952? Also, the odds were always in favor of the U.S. during the Mexican-American War. We were bullying a young country for their land. Just wanted to say that.

May 30, 2012 at 03:53PM EDT

Guess who

May 31, 2012 at 05:46PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Since we’re talking about generals, I want to introduce you to this great series called Generals at War which recreates famous battles on a CGI “planning board” with actors portraying the Generals involved and two modern day generals explaining the decisions of the competing historical generals.

The show lasted for six episodes:

The Battle of Stalingrad: Marshal Von Paulus vs Lt. General Vasily Chuikov

The Battle of Midway: Rear Admiral Fletcher vs Vice Admiral Chūichi Nagumo

The Battle of Al Al-Alamein: Rommel vs Monty

The Battle of Kursk: Field Marshal Erich von Manstein vs Red Army Marshal Georgy Zhukov

The Battle of the Bulge: General Omar Bradley and Field Marshal Walter Model

And my favourite:

The Battle of Singapore:Lieutenant General Arthur Percival vs Lieutenant General Tomoyuki Yamashita

The last one because very few people are familiar with the campaigns in South East Asia and China in WWII and Europe and the Pacific hog all the limelight. So I’ve embedded the episode for you below. All the above episodes are available on that dudes channel if you want to see more.

I love that show, my favorite is the one on Stalingrad.

May 31, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT

Son Goku wrote:

Patton!

General’s Formals. Soldier is best Patton.

May 31, 2012 at 06:32PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!