Forums / Discussion / General

170,231 total conversations in 5,454 threads

+ New Thread

Have a waifu?

Last posted Jun 25, 2012 at 07:49PM EDT. Added Jun 18, 2012 at 02:24AM EDT
23 posts from 18 users

Interesting. I just gave it a quick scan. but I’ll read it carefully in the morning. (Actually, from the quick read I gathered that I can’t have a waifu since I have a flesh-and-blood wife! Who knew there were so many technicalities?)

Jun 18, 2012 at 03:58AM EDT

Yeah, I like this guy’s points. Although I personally believe that every person should try to find an actual human person that they can actually love and be with forever, it’s not terrible for them to have a Waifu, as long as they’re happy. The author states that Waifus are a delusion, but I suppose they might be one of the nicer ones in life.

Jun 18, 2012 at 09:30AM EDT

It’s kind of funny that this is being treated seriously.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:45AM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

It’s kind of funny that this is being treated seriously.

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:32AM EDT

I have…absolutely no idea what this person was trying to say.
Then again, stuff like this almost always goes straight over my head.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:04PM EDT

I skimmed it, and from what I can gather he’s just saying that Waifus are used by people who have little luck with actual women and instead replace them with one that they have complete control over in order to avoid rejection and a sense of loss/worthlessness.

Short, blunt, and simple version, only losers actually have Waifus and treat them like real people.

Regardless of this, it’s okay to joke around about having a waifu as long as you don’t try to have sex with a waifu pillow as a replacement or real women. Kind of like how it’s okay to make jokes about a blow-up sex doll but it’s kind of weird to use one of those and never get a real girlfriend.

That aside, nobody better say any crap about my Waifu Holo.

Last edited Jun 18, 2012 at 12:12PM EDT
Jun 18, 2012 at 12:11PM EDT

Okay, I finally read the whole thing in detail, and I’m fascinated by what this person is trying to put forward as his “thesis”. I’m going to try to summarize the concepts for clarity’s sake as I comment on them.

First of all, sting_auer seems to be missing the point of the article. While the author does admit that lack of success with flesh-and-blood women may be a factor in a man turning towards a waifu, a proper waifu is not a replacement for a physical, 3-D relationship. This is similar to a concept that I became aware of several years ago that took me by surprise: agalmatophilia. My assumption had always been (as it probably was for most people) that people who gratify themselves with “sex dolls” are simply losers who can’t acquire live women in a normal fashion. There is a problem with this assumption when one considers that there exist companies that produce “high-end” sex dolls that cost well over $1,000. Why spend so much money on a sex doll when one could use the same money to hire multiple prostitutes? Agalmatophiliacs are people who are not using these dolls as a stand-in for real relationships; they are people who genuinely want to have sex with dolls!

But the waifu phenomenon is not merely a matter of desire for sex with cartoon characters (although whatever -philia might describe that desire is a likely condition, I imagine), but also hearkens back to an old concept in Western culture, that of “courtly love”. In medieval times, it was not uncommon for a man to have a woman as the object of his love, and yet hold her as an unattainable ideal of femininity. He would never actually confess his love to her directly, nor obviously would he actually consummate his love with a physical sexual act. This is the sort of love that an otaku would have for his waifu: he knows that she is only a cartoon, but he is content in knowing that she lives on a plane of ideal womanhood that he cannot approach and it is actually part of her allure.

While I am surprised with how much of the article I found to be quite logical, there were a few minor points I questioned, and one big one:

Popular religion currently is, by definition of its scripture, the ostracism and desire to eradicate those who are not immediately part of your body. It perverts the desire for belonging into its reverse--the exclusion of all as a way to facilitate the growth of such a need.

I don’t follow this at all. If the author felt that he made the argument for this somewhere in his paper, I missed it, as it seems that he simply assumes it to be so. Anyone care to clarify that portion for me?

Jun 18, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT

Anako wrote:

What is this Anime called? It looks funny, and I’ve seen it around.

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:09PM EDT

BTW, based on all of this, it turns out I most certainly do NOT have a waifu. While I did experience a certain amount of emotional connection to many of the girls in Katawa Shoujo, at no time did any of the feels I had for them approach what is described in the article.

I suppose I could understand the desire to have a platonic relationship with a woman that one sees as ideal in some way. (I had a female friend in college on whom I had an ongoing crush. While I was actually completely open about my infatuation for her, and even repeatedly expressed to her and others that I found her sexually attractive, I never actually laid a finger on her, as I realized she was too special to me to reduce her to a sexual object.) However, the way that a waifufag manages to overlook his object of affection’s fictionality is simply not something I could ever manage, and that may actually be a failing in my own imagination.

I’m still wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the author’s claims of religion being destructive and exclusionary. Maybe there are some other religions that the author is thinking of, but insofar as most of the larger religions (Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Baha’i, and of course atheism as a sort-of religion) are concerned, members of such faiths desire to convince as many people of their inherent truth and bring them into the fold. If the author means to say that religions have a tendency to stifle free sexual expression, I would say this may be so to some extent, but it is hardly “by definition”, and furthermore as I have noted in such discussions time and again, every group and individual has their own sexual mores which inevitably include some list of sexual practices that are not proper. All that differs is the nature of said list.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that from my personal understanding of Christianity and this article’s explanation of the nature of waifus, there is nothing inherently immoral about having a waifu. The article’s comparison of the societal utility of religions and prostitutes, far from being shocking, is something that should be familiar to any member of an Abrahamic faith who has studied the significance of sexuality and religion. In the Torah, capital crimes are of three types: homicide, sexual deviation, and religious deviation. God elevates proper sexuality and spirituality to the level of importance of murder! So, in the case of a waifu, there would be two things one would need to guard against (according to Judeo-Christian morals; if I understand Islam sufficiently, a Muslim would probably not be allowed to have a waifu). One, that the waifu is not considered a goddess, as this would make the waifufag an idolater; and two, that the waifu would not become an object of sexual lust, as that would be a form of adultery.

Am I really the only one who is taking a real critical look into this subject?

Last edited Jun 18, 2012 at 05:23PM EDT
Jun 18, 2012 at 05:22PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

What is this Anime called? It looks funny, and I’ve seen it around.

My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute.
Otherwise, Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai.
ohyeahcopypaste

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT

@Kirk
No, its just that you’re the only one who understands it that’s posting about it.
The rest of us are repelled by the use of big words

Jun 18, 2012 at 05:25PM EDT

Internet meme wrote:

My Little Sister Can’t Be This Cute.
Otherwise, Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai.
ohyeahcopypaste

Also, a season two was confirmed to be in the works as well.

Jun 18, 2012 at 07:43PM EDT

Brucker wrote:

BTW, based on all of this, it turns out I most certainly do NOT have a waifu. While I did experience a certain amount of emotional connection to many of the girls in Katawa Shoujo, at no time did any of the feels I had for them approach what is described in the article.

I suppose I could understand the desire to have a platonic relationship with a woman that one sees as ideal in some way. (I had a female friend in college on whom I had an ongoing crush. While I was actually completely open about my infatuation for her, and even repeatedly expressed to her and others that I found her sexually attractive, I never actually laid a finger on her, as I realized she was too special to me to reduce her to a sexual object.) However, the way that a waifufag manages to overlook his object of affection’s fictionality is simply not something I could ever manage, and that may actually be a failing in my own imagination.

I’m still wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the author’s claims of religion being destructive and exclusionary. Maybe there are some other religions that the author is thinking of, but insofar as most of the larger religions (Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Baha’i, and of course atheism as a sort-of religion) are concerned, members of such faiths desire to convince as many people of their inherent truth and bring them into the fold. If the author means to say that religions have a tendency to stifle free sexual expression, I would say this may be so to some extent, but it is hardly “by definition”, and furthermore as I have noted in such discussions time and again, every group and individual has their own sexual mores which inevitably include some list of sexual practices that are not proper. All that differs is the nature of said list.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that from my personal understanding of Christianity and this article’s explanation of the nature of waifus, there is nothing inherently immoral about having a waifu. The article’s comparison of the societal utility of religions and prostitutes, far from being shocking, is something that should be familiar to any member of an Abrahamic faith who has studied the significance of sexuality and religion. In the Torah, capital crimes are of three types: homicide, sexual deviation, and religious deviation. God elevates proper sexuality and spirituality to the level of importance of murder! So, in the case of a waifu, there would be two things one would need to guard against (according to Judeo-Christian morals; if I understand Islam sufficiently, a Muslim would probably not be allowed to have a waifu). One, that the waifu is not considered a goddess, as this would make the waifufag an idolater; and two, that the waifu would not become an object of sexual lust, as that would be a form of adultery.

Am I really the only one who is taking a real critical look into this subject?

I love you. From my knowledge of Christianity, I can totes back him up. A waifu(/husbando), so long as it isn’t a sort of object of worship and lust…

In spite of the downvotes I might get, I’m kinda siding with Katie here. I don’t take this guy seriously. At all. I sort’ve feel like Brucker might be one of the only ones who actually read through all of this… Otherwise I think people would be talking about his humorous misuse of “big words”, oddly anti-religious stance, and the fact that he has a horribly limited and a little creepy idea of why a husbando has a waifu.

I mean, and I know I’m taking things out of context, here, but… Who would write this?

There will inevitably be a complaint here that all females are ‘bitches and whores’ and thus could never understand the concept of ‘waifu’/‘husbando’.

Inevitably.

I have a waifu. She’s just a 2D girl I like who I don’t really think of sexually (just ask Liche). Is that really a big deal?

As a closing to my (semi-diatribe-esque) post, I leave you with these words of wisdom.

Live life the way your waifu would enjoy. Live, and forever daydream of you and she. This delusion is not at all wrong, rather it is necessary, because we are human. All too human.

That’s so true…

Jun 18, 2012 at 09:22PM EDT

http://knowyourmeme.com/videos/40830-nopeavi
Do I have a waifu? Check this video out for the answer.

Jun 23, 2012 at 02:51AM EDT

I never used to have a waifu, and I thought i never would. Then you fuckers got me to play katawa shoujo. Every now an then i would stop and go “What the fuck am i doing?” but i was so engrossed in the story line i just kept reading.

I hate all of you.

Jun 23, 2012 at 07:49PM EDT

Patrick wrote:

I love you. From my knowledge of Christianity, I can totes back him up. A waifu(/husbando), so long as it isn’t a sort of object of worship and lust…

In spite of the downvotes I might get, I’m kinda siding with Katie here. I don’t take this guy seriously. At all. I sort’ve feel like Brucker might be one of the only ones who actually read through all of this… Otherwise I think people would be talking about his humorous misuse of “big words”, oddly anti-religious stance, and the fact that he has a horribly limited and a little creepy idea of why a husbando has a waifu.

I mean, and I know I’m taking things out of context, here, but… Who would write this?

There will inevitably be a complaint here that all females are ‘bitches and whores’ and thus could never understand the concept of ‘waifu’/‘husbando’.

Inevitably.

I have a waifu. She’s just a 2D girl I like who I don’t really think of sexually (just ask Liche). Is that really a big deal?

As a closing to my (semi-diatribe-esque) post, I leave you with these words of wisdom.

Live life the way your waifu would enjoy. Live, and forever daydream of you and she. This delusion is not at all wrong, rather it is necessary, because we are human. All too human.

That’s so true…

Jun 23, 2012 at 09:50PM EDT

Has anyone actually read this? Because this dude is fucking hilarious. Who ever wrote this is a jackass, but still, lay off my waifu.

Jun 24, 2012 at 06:19PM EDT

What a terrible fucking writer. He makes assumptions in place of arguments, and uses unneccesarily complicated language in hopes that it will disguise his fucking incompetence. Pretentious cocksucker.

As far as the actual content of this ‘discourse’ is concerned:

-The categorization of and attack on religion is superficial and uninformed: The writer says that all religion is just a way to satisfy the need for belonging and purpose, making it essentially like having a waifu. The only difference is that religions get all up in people’s shit because of what their imaginary friends say while the waifu lover will keep to himself.

This is retarded.

Having a waifu and following a religion are two completely different projects, even if they are driven by somewhat similar motivations. A person who has a waifu is in it for complete self-gratification, they’re just going through these fictional excercizes because it makes them feel good and that’s all there is to it. The religious person believes they have discovered some essential facet of reality, that God is there whether you choose to believe in him or not. A religious person will preach morality to you because they truly and legitimately believe that their morality is the real will of God, not just something they made up. Whether or not the religious person is correct in their beliefs or not is irrelevant, this caricature is completely unfair.

-Your waifu is NOT the equivilent or superior of a real woman: The author argues that a waifu is essentially the same as a real girlfriend because we can only ever know either of them as representations of our mind. He ignores two very crucial elements however that seperate the real woman from the waifu.

1: Corporeality. Take a minute and try to imagine you’re eating a juiy cheeseburger. Try to map and summon every single sensation in your mind, the crunch of the lettuce, the tang of the ketchup. Is this the same as eating a real burger? Of course it isn’t, humans are sensible animals by nature, to have the fullness of an experience, we have to actually experience it. It doesn’t matter if you have the most powerful imagination in the world, imagining a woman’s touch, the way her she smells in bed, has no hope of comparing to the real thing.

2: Surprise. The most beautiful thing about a relationship with a person is that they aren’t you. They are a sovereign individuals with thoughts and feelings all their own. Your waifu can never surprise you like a real person can, they have nothing to teach you and no way to make you grow. A real relationship is a dialogue between two real people, each person playing off the other. A waifu is just you talking to yourself

-The writer pretends to speak for everyone when he really only speaks for himself: The one thing I couldn’t stand about this paper is that the author is speaking as if he has discovered these objective traits to what having a waifu means when really he’s just describing his own experience. He says that people don’t choose to have waifus because they can’t get real women, which I’m sure MANY do. He says that people are supposed to treat their waifu like a wife, to be respected and not like a hooker. I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to treat my hypothetical waifu as a hooker when, hey, maybe it’s my thing to treat my hypothetical wife like a hooker. Ultimately, this discourse is PRESCRIPTIVE not descriptive, the author is describing and defending what he thinks is the ideal way to have a waifu, not the way that people actually have waifus in reality. He should have made that clear.

And that’s about all I have to say. This guy is an idiot.

Last edited Jun 25, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT
Jun 25, 2012 at 06:49PM EDT

I have real all the comments and original document.
My reaction is what?
This man is an idiot.

“Irrational side of my brain can you handle this?”
“Sure”

Can I still post my waifu?

oh goddamnit me.
Jun 25, 2012 at 07:49PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!