Forums / Discussion / General

172,856 total conversations in 5,671 threads

+ New Thread


Super Smash Bros 4

Last posted Jul 21, 2012 at 10:21PM EDT. Added Jun 30, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
276 posts from 44 users


Nintendo has teamed up with Namco Bandai to develop the next installment of the Super Smash Brothers Series. Along with Masahiro Sakurai, the game is being directed by Masaya Kobayashi (worked on Metal Gear Solid 4) and Yoshito Higuchi (Famous for his work in the Tales series).

Source, fast forward to 7 minutes in.

Really, this means the next Smash Brothers will most definitely have a cross over from the Tales series or another NamcoBandai franchise and the probable return of Solid Snake as a playable character.

Also, “They are building the game from Scratch”. This leaves a lot of room for core mechanic changes, so Smash Bros 4 will probably be the most original installment in the series. But in what way…?

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 01:50PM EDT

@Random21: A bunch of characters from Namco Bandai games? I’m quite excited for this game. As to the core mechanic changes, I hope they add some way to customize the characters.

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 02:20PM EDT

Lloyd and/or Yuri Lowell will probably make it into the roadster. (But I would rather have Rita make it in… just saying.)

As for the gameplay mechanic changes, just watch an official Comboing System be added.

@KI..D: Perhaps they will implement a Costume System, so that instead of adding useless characters like Doctor Mario, Mario’s “Doctor Mario” costume will cause him to have a minor move set change. Like what Hackers do to Brawl.

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 02:37PM EDT

Namco Bandai? Fighting game?

Am I the only one here expecting some characters from the Soul series to show up?

Or am I thinking of the wrong company?

Also, would it be wrong of me to want an Ace Combat-inspired stage?

I feel like a hipster knowing all this for the last 3 months…

Also regarding Tales of characters, Most likely characters that have been on Nintendo systems will make it into the game
Phantasia
Symphonia
Graces – Japanese ver. was for the Wii/
I think 2 more but these are the most Notable.
No Vesperia most likely, it was on the 360

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 03:22PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

If they’re starting from scratch, then that might mean no veteran characters would return.

They’ll have the veteran characters, when they say start from scratch, i assume they mean gameplay, stle, controls e.t.c.

Adam DeLand wrote:

If they’re starting from scratch, then that might mean no veteran characters would return.

They will definitely have all the Veteran Characters, people would rage if they didn’t. Starting from scratch simply means they aren’t using a modified version of the previous games engine.

How you arrived at that conclusion is beyond me…

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

They will definitely have all the Veteran Characters, people would rage if they didn’t. Starting from scratch simply means they aren’t using a modified version of the previous games engine.

How you arrived at that conclusion is beyond me…

I came to that conclusion because to me, saying that they would start from scratch would mean they would eliminate cliches from the previous games. And personally, I wouldn’t want them to dismiss veteran characters.

I wonder what the title will be. Also, will the 4 player mode still have the same name as the title (ex: 4 player fights were called melees in Melee, brawls in Brawl? I can’t really think of any other word that would work as a synonym for “fight.”

KI....D wrote:

I wonder what the title will be. Also, will the 4 player mode still have the same name as the title (ex: 4 player fights were called melees in Melee, brawls in Brawl? I can’t really think of any other word that would work as a synonym for “fight.”

whatever they called it in the first one.


The first son of Skitty

The first son of Chikarita

Last edited Jun 30, 2012 at 11:40PM EDT

I would love Nintendo to bits if Professor Layton was a character.

Just because the attacks to think of are hilarious.

(Let it be known that I know that Professor Layton is developed by Level 5.)

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Namco Bandai? Fighting game?

Am I the only one here expecting some characters from the Soul series to show up?

Or am I thinking of the wrong company?

Also, would it be wrong of me to want an Ace Combat-inspired stage?

I think it would be nice if they brought Siegfried or Nightmare from Soul Calibur and Jin from Tekken. That would a good crossover IMO.

I want both Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright in it. Then we can have an actual Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.
@Above choices
Reggie?

Tingle?

Last edited Jul 01, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT

If they are indeed starting from scratch, it means many characters can and will have Moveset Overhauls.

They need to overhaul all the clone characters movesets!
Ganon: He wields either a Sword or a Trident in his games, so change his character to use them.
Luigi: Change him to use his Vacuum Moves from the Luigi’s Mansion Series. He is too much of a Mario clone still…
Falco: Haveing him kick his reflector was a good start, but also changing his Final Smash to an Arwing and maybe two of his Special Moves to something else would be more fitting. Then again, Fox and Falco have equal capabilities in all the Starfox Games, so making an original moveset for a character who has always been a clone may be hard… then again, they could use Negi’s idea for the Costume System, where Falco can be played as a different variation of Fox instead of his own slot.
Wolf: It’s clear they added him just to have another Villain Character, but that makes him the second Fox Clone. If they at least swapped out one of the Special Attacks he would have been acceptable as his own character, but… well, I don’t have any ideas actually. Perhaps make his Moveset based off of Starfox Assault instead of Smash Brothers.

Slightly different topic:

If NamcoBandai is developing this game then that means Retro Studios is not working on Super Smash Brothers or Zelda (Miyamoto said Retro wasn’t working on it)! What could they be working on!?!

Metroid? Star Fox?

F-ZERO!?

But if a third party were developing a new F-Zero, I’d really rather it be 2XL Games, the guys behind Baja: Edge of Control.
Last edited Jul 02, 2012 at 03:09PM EDT

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Metroid? Star Fox?

F-ZERO!?

But if a third party were developing a new F-Zero, I’d really rather it be 2XL Games, the guys behind Baja: Edge of Control.

Out of the choices, I’d say F-Zero. That’s the only game that hasn’t had a big remake in recent years. You could say Metroid because that hasn’t had a new game for a few years, but then again, there are a lot of Nintendo series that haven’t had a remake or sequel yet. It could be anything, for all we know, It could be a sequel to Tingle’s spin-off game.
EDIT: To be fair, Retro are a great company. They’re like the new Rare (at least when they were still working for Nintendo)

Last edited Jul 02, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

I’m hoping this game gives me a massive excuse to buy the next Wii.

After all, I’m a Nintendo gamer at heart and I used to love playing Super Smash Bros.!

That’s always Nintendo’s trick. Sucky systems, but some really great games only available for the new consoles. It’s almost like you have NO CHOICE, except you totally do! I have a small wishlist for the next game:
1) BRING BACK BONUS MODE. It’s fun. 2A) The only “Clone Character” should be Mewtwo. See what I did there? 2B) If you do have clones, at least don’t give them all the same-ish Final Smashes. 3) Uber trivial. Sonic has two attacks that are 99% the same thing. Not okay.

Oh, we’re doing wishlists now? All right then:

-Bring back Mewtwo, Roy, hitstun, Race to the Finish, and character-specific target tests
-Bring in some interesting newcomers… and Ridley
-Remove tripping

and finally…

-DO NOT REVEAL ALL THE GOOD CHARACTERS BEFORE THE GAME COMES OUT

well, awhile ago i was looking up stuff for smash bros 4. i saw a video that was put up like a day prior to my viewing. it had sketches of ridley and some others in smash bros poses. it said these were concept drawings for the characters. i didn’t believe it at first, but i Favorited it anyway. i go to look at again the next day, and it was taken down by copyright of Nintendo. that’s pretty legit.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

If they are indeed starting from scratch, it means many characters can and will have Moveset Overhauls.

They need to overhaul all the clone characters movesets!
Ganon: He wields either a Sword or a Trident in his games, so change his character to use them.
Luigi: Change him to use his Vacuum Moves from the Luigi’s Mansion Series. He is too much of a Mario clone still…
Falco: Haveing him kick his reflector was a good start, but also changing his Final Smash to an Arwing and maybe two of his Special Moves to something else would be more fitting. Then again, Fox and Falco have equal capabilities in all the Starfox Games, so making an original moveset for a character who has always been a clone may be hard… then again, they could use Negi’s idea for the Costume System, where Falco can be played as a different variation of Fox instead of his own slot.
Wolf: It’s clear they added him just to have another Villain Character, but that makes him the second Fox Clone. If they at least swapped out one of the Special Attacks he would have been acceptable as his own character, but… well, I don’t have any ideas actually. Perhaps make his Moveset based off of Starfox Assault instead of Smash Brothers.

In Starfox Assault, Falco has lower health and higher accuracy, among other things.

DarkErmac wrote:

Oh, we’re doing wishlists now? All right then:

-Bring back Mewtwo, Roy, hitstun, Race to the Finish, and character-specific target tests
-Bring in some interesting newcomers… and Ridley
-Remove tripping

and finally…

-DO NOT REVEAL ALL THE GOOD CHARACTERS BEFORE THE GAME COMES OUT

Mewtwo? If he can be useful, sure.
Roy? No. Not only is he the weakest main character in Fire Emblem, he has only been in one game that is not necessarily well renowned with the FE base in comparison to other FE games.

Race to the Finish? I’d say also bring back Board the Platforms. And for God’s sake, give a different course for each character. Having the same 5 for everyone was lazy.

Ridley’s too big.

Everyone hates tripping. I’d say though that we need to bring back Wave Dashing and L-Cancel.

Also, I’d say no more useless assists/items/Pokemon.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!