Forums / Discussion / General

232,637 total conversations in 7,778 threads

+ New Thread

Super Smash Bros 4

Last posted Jul 18, 2012 at 06:41PM EDT. Added Jun 30, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
276 posts from 44 users

Windigo With Salad wrote:

Let's be honest, Lucario will in all likelihood be replaced by Zoroark.

Maybe, but the fact Zoroark didn't have telepathic speaking in its movie makes it seem odd when the previous 2 ones did.

Part of the Balanceing Issues in Brawl revolved around the inclusion of Final Smashes. Many strong characters where nerfed because of the FS's and many weak characters had to rely on Final Smashes in order to get any kills.

I don't want them to get rid of the Final Smashes, but I hope next time they don't factor that into the Character Balancing.

I am hoping Pit gets a full revamp to coincide with his KI:U self, perhaps some of the items from the game being new items in SSB4.
Instead of maining his bow, which most tend to not use in his new game, I would love to see him switching between his vast array of cool new weapons ala Kirby and his powers.

Also, can we please make the Final Smashes realistic? I'm looking at you, Landmaster/PK Starstorm.

The really ridiculous thing with PK Starstorm is that Lucas and Ness both have very powerful moves in their games that they could use.

Ridley’s too big.

Bowser's size has fluctuated from game to game, and he was far too big in some games, such as Super Mario Sunshine. Likewise, Ridley has been larger and smaller in different iterations, and I see no reason they can't make it work like with Bowser.

Also, since Snake has already been in one, can we get any other Konami characters?

PRETTY PLEASE?

Hell… I know it won't happen… BUT I CAN DREAM.

However, unlike Bowser, Ridley's size has only gotten bigger.

As you see, besides the original NES Ridley, he is at least two, to even 6 times the size of Bowser in Brawl. Nintendo can't wiggle their way out of this no matter what they do!

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 12:24PM EDT

Also, it's not like Nintendo didn't want to put him in Smash Brothers. Why else would he be put in as a Boss in Brawl? TWICE!

And likely chance is, if they do use Bosses again Ridley will be added there.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 12:48PM EDT

I would like to see a specific story mode for each character. Each with their own pathways though the world and each with their own Final Boss.

But the True Final Boss will always be Master Hand, and after you beat the True Final Boss with each character you can fight Tabbu.

Good point. Tabuu was the mastermind behind one plot, and can't really be carried over to anything else. They probably won't drop Tabuu entirely though, like what they did with Master Hand… but then again they are restarting from scratch, so anything can happen!

As for what this new boss would look like… well, if NamcoBandai is involved… hmm… Seeing who is at the helm, the boss may be human sized in one round, and assumes a more powerful form the next. They do that a lot in the Tales Series anyway.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Good point. Tabuu was the mastermind behind one plot, and can't really be carried over to anything else. They probably won't drop Tabuu entirely though, like what they did with Master Hand… but then again they are restarting from scratch, so anything can happen!

As for what this new boss would look like… well, if NamcoBandai is involved… hmm… Seeing who is at the helm, the boss may be human sized in one round, and assumes a more powerful form the next. They do that a lot in the Tales Series anyway.

Master hand and Crazy hand are the games main enemies, to scrap them would be like scrapping mario from the mario series. Tabuu was a one-off villain, there was a couple in that game. It's not like they are going to bring back Duon or Galleom (The exploding tank and machine made out of mr Game and Watches)

EDIT: I'd actually like them to use that one enemy they scrapped . I'd love to see what they intended to do with it. I know it's only a small thing, but I always loved it.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT

Kinda a different subject: I would like to see them re-imagine Final Destination. Maybe it starts in some sort of underground factory style facility before being slowly raised up and up until it escapes the Earth and goes into Space.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 02:23PM EDT

Since we're talking about stages, would it be too much to ask for a stage set on the Aigaion?

Or maybe they could figure out something Assault Horizon-related? Miami rooftops akin to SSB64's Saffron City stage, perhaps?

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 03:58PM EDT

What about a distortion world stage? Or the city from Animal Crossing with Boy/Girl as playable characters? Phoenix Wright in court? Professor Layton in St Mystere (with the Ferris wheel as an obstacle)? what about Mega Man? But you can guarantee that either a mii will be a playable character, or Wuhu Island as a playable stage.

• BTW* Capcom did confirm a while back that one of their characters would be playable in it (Probably Mega Man though)

If it really is Namco Bandai developing this, they really gotta have something from either the Soul or Tekken franchises.

Stages, characters, items, you name it.

And I will be disappointed if Ace Combat doesn't make some form of showing here.

EDIT: Also, who was it here that came up with the idea of individual story modes for each character? That's brilliant.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 05:00PM EDT

Remember, it may be Namco Bandai making it, but it's still a Nintendo game, They won't add that many characters in, and they'll be the more Mainstream ones (unless they're anything like Square-Enix with the Mario spin-off games, where they add half the characters from Dragon Quest in)

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 05:11PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

Remember, it may be Namco Bandai making it, but it's still a Nintendo game, They won't add that many characters in, and they'll be the more Mainstream ones (unless they're anything like Square-Enix with the Mario spin-off games, where they add half the characters from Dragon Quest in)

I know it's still a Nintendo title.

I'm just saying that Namco Bandai should put something from their fighting game franchises in the game, and that I'd really like for something from AC to make an appearance.

Not like they have to dominate the game or anything. Maybe just a handful of things, but across multiple categories.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I know it's still a Nintendo title.

I'm just saying that Namco Bandai should put something from their fighting game franchises in the game, and that I'd really like for something from AC to make an appearance.

Not like they have to dominate the game or anything. Maybe just a handful of things, but across multiple categories.

I never implied thought that you didn't know, it's just that they probably won't add characters from obscure series, that's all. And from what i've read about Ace Combat (never played the game myself) It's a game based on war, which Nintendo will try to avoid at any cost. They can get away with it with solid snake, because they could work around the violence. But then again, I've never played the game, so I'm not one to judge.

Twenty-One wrote:

I never implied thought that you didn't know, it's just that they probably won't add characters from obscure series, that's all. And from what i've read about Ace Combat (never played the game myself) It's a game based on war, which Nintendo will try to avoid at any cost. They can get away with it with solid snake, because they could work around the violence. But then again, I've never played the game, so I'm not one to judge.

Until Assault Horizon, the only violence depicted in the Ace Combat series was strictly between aircraft, warships and ground vehicles. Granted, AH does depict pilots being blasted from their cockpits, and there are some missions in helicopters that have you fighting enemy infantry; but these are the exception, not the rule.

I doubt it would be that difficult to work something out from Ace Combat. And I'm pretty sure that both Tekken and the Soul series are pretty damn mainstream.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 05:36PM EDT

Nightmare or Ivy will get in if anyone from the Soul Series make it in. (I would prefer Cassandra)

Since a Tales of Seires director is at the helm, Lloyd or Yuri Lowell will probably make it in. (Remember, Yuri is in the Project X Zone game for 3DS)

Nintendo may get Pac Man into the game because it's freaken Pac Man, but nobody will care really.

And… yeah. I am unfamiliar with Tekken, but I hope they use it as a chance to put another girl into the Smash Roadster.

Guys, stop thinking that Namco Bandai is the only developer. Nintendo will have people on it and Sakurai's the director.

Probably the main reason that Namco Bandai is on board is because of HAL being dropped. I wouldn't expect too much Namco Bandai content to be in the game because it is a Nintendo game that they are taking a major role in. Do expect a Soulcalibur or Tekken character. Do expect Pac-Man to be in the game in some form.

So, here's my character predictions: One from Soulcalibur, one from Tekken, and one from something else. I'd only expect 2 or 3 characters.

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

They better port this to the 3DS.

Oh, and make online not suck please, Nintendo?

Appearently they are. And they wanna link the 2 together (wiiU and 3ds) somehow.

I really hope roy comes back.. even thought i doubt it.

Another animal crossing stage would be cool, and like there was a whole town or something and you could go around the entire town fighting people as if it was like a game of hide and seek. That would probably only work on the DS though.

Unfinished data for Roy was found in the programing for Brawl. From the data, Lyn was supposed to be playable too, however they demoted her to Assist Trophy.

There was at least half a dozen other characters that the developers couldn't finish in Brawl, but the fact stands "They are starting from scratch", so Brawls leftover programing will have little influence on Smash Bros 4.
--

Also, both Marth and Ike will probably be returning. They are the only two main characters from Fire Emblem who have made it into Two Fire Emblem Games.

Last edited Jul 04, 2012 at 02:21PM EDT

One major problem Nintendo will have with future SSB's is that they are having some troubles with making popular new series. My knowledge is fairly lacking, but when was the last time they released a new game with new characters that became at least some-what iconic? They all fade to money-losing obscurity! Thus, Nintendo keeps using it's ace, the golden oldies.

Speaking of characters from Fire Emblem, I think a Manakete would make a nice addition to the cast. The final smash could be the transformation into a dragon. This probably won't happen, but it can't hurt to dream.

madcat wrote:

Speaking of characters from Fire Emblem, I think a Manakete would make a nice addition to the cast. The final smash could be the transformation into a dragon. This probably won't happen, but it can't hurt to dream.

An overpowered late game character in a Smash Bros game?

Also, let's not forget that Manaketes can't do anything when not transformed.

I can see Tiki showing up as an Assist Trophy at most.

Soldier wrote:

@â–²Random 21â–²loves â–²triforceâ–²
I don't think that, Ryu from Street Fighter is most likely to appear, Capcom now hates Megaman, because Inafune left the company.

A lot of people are leaving Capcom, including the people behind Street Fighter.

I threw together a quick example to elaborate on my idea for the individual story modes:

Example Character: Link

1. After a short opening cutscene, Link starts in a Forest Stage ("Link's Stage") The developers can re-use various stages to create an overlapping storyline effect.
2. A cutscene, A fight with Pikachu, and another cutscene.
3. Link then climbs into Skyworld ("Pit's Stage")
4. Same deal as the last character fight: Cutscene, fight with Pit, and another Cutscene.
5. Link returns to earth, and goes though a Castle Stage. ("Marth's Stage")
6. A Boss Fight with Fire Emblems Black Knight. (The Black Knight, or any General Class is too heavy to be playable in Smash Brothers, however they can still be a non-playable boss type.)
6a. Break the Targets
7. Link goes into the feilds. ("Ikes Stage") Though it is technically Ikes Stage (as the Majority of the fights Ike has done has been in the Country), you don't fight Ike at the end…
8. Fights Sheik
9. Enters a Tower ("Ganon's stage")
10. Encounters Beast Ganon as the boss.

11. If no continues are used, and if the difficulty level is high enough, you will fight Master Hand (and maybe Crazy Hand).

12. True Final Boss: If you have defeated Master Hand in any difficulty with all the other characters, you will fight the True Final Boss.

--

This may not be exactly a prime example of what could happen, but at least you get the idea.

Last edited Jul 05, 2012 at 01:14PM EDT

Oh My

"Series creator Masahiro Sakurai is cautious about continuing to expand the already massive list of characters. "It isn't a matter of 'if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough,'" Sakurai said in an interview with Nintendo Power. "There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive."

Smash Bros 4 may have less characters than Brawl. But, well, I am going to quickly point out that The Wii U and 3DS has DLC. I would be fine with a solid smaller cast as long as you could expand it later on.

I read that as well. People are saying they should get rid of characters that are re-skins of others. Someone suggested Toon link and Link, Ness and Lucas, Fox, Falco and Wolf, Samus and Zero-suit Samus, Zelda and Shiek, the Pokemon characters, Non-Nintendo characters and characters from old, dead games such as Ice Climbers, Game and Watch and (Don't tell Nair) Captain falcon. While I can't agree with all of this, I can agree with some like the 2 links.

"In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."

I think that this could be a good thing, actually. I don't really care for 40 or 50 playable characters by any means.

They may focus more on making sure each character is unique. Even though Luigi and Mario should play similarly and they did have some differences, the Star Fox characters were very much the same (Fox being lighter and more mobile, Falco having ups, and Wolf being more powerful with some quirks. Furthermore, making Ganondorf very heavy doesn't mean that he's all that different from Captain Falcon.)

They may focus on changing the play style of the characters altogether. Speaking of Ganondorf, you don't have to give him that Warlock's Fist thing for his B attack. It could be something entirely different. The Falcon Punch is crucial to Captain Falcon. It had better not change, but it's not anything I've seen from Ganondorf in the Zelda games. Why not reference your epic battles against Ganondorf in Zelda games? Like tennis?

And this (and what I'm hoping for) doesn't mean we'd have the same characters from Brawl. It could be a massive recasting. So you have your 12 mainstays of Mario, Luigi, Falcon, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ness, Link, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Samus. You keep characters that have been seen in Melee and Brawl, like Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Falco, Game and Watch, Marth, Ice Climbers, Peach, and Bowser.

If I count correctly, then that should be 20 characters. The universe of Nintendo (and participating 3rd parties) is huge. You can add 10-15 new characters and not have too many characters. It keeps the game fresh, it allows for fan-favorites to be added, and if the move sets and fighting styles change, then you have a ton of variety to play through the various modes.

I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't want there to be 50 available characters. After a while, you're going to have to clone some characters. And with SSB being the wacky game that it is, I think it's best if they just focus on making sure the present characters are unique and fun to play.

Last edited Jul 07, 2012 at 01:36PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

"In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."

I think that this could be a good thing, actually. I don't really care for 40 or 50 playable characters by any means.

They may focus more on making sure each character is unique. Even though Luigi and Mario should play similarly and they did have some differences, the Star Fox characters were very much the same (Fox being lighter and more mobile, Falco having ups, and Wolf being more powerful with some quirks. Furthermore, making Ganondorf very heavy doesn't mean that he's all that different from Captain Falcon.)

They may focus on changing the play style of the characters altogether. Speaking of Ganondorf, you don't have to give him that Warlock's Fist thing for his B attack. It could be something entirely different. The Falcon Punch is crucial to Captain Falcon. It had better not change, but it's not anything I've seen from Ganondorf in the Zelda games. Why not reference your epic battles against Ganondorf in Zelda games? Like tennis?

And this (and what I'm hoping for) doesn't mean we'd have the same characters from Brawl. It could be a massive recasting. So you have your 12 mainstays of Mario, Luigi, Falcon, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Ness, Link, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Samus. You keep characters that have been seen in Melee and Brawl, like Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Falco, Game and Watch, Marth, Ice Climbers, Peach, and Bowser.

If I count correctly, then that should be 20 characters. The universe of Nintendo (and participating 3rd parties) is huge. You can add 10-15 new characters and not have too many characters. It keeps the game fresh, it allows for fan-favorites to be added, and if the move sets and fighting styles change, then you have a ton of variety to play through the various modes.

I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't want there to be 50 available characters. After a while, you're going to have to clone some characters. And with SSB being the wacky game that it is, I think it's best if they just focus on making sure the present characters are unique and fun to play.

My expectations (if they were being really strict with characters):

My Opinion on character changes, Luigi and Falco should have more Unique moves, Wolf and Lucas need Major Overhauls because they feel too much like clones, The Pokemon Trainer will probability have starters from other gens as Skins or Replacements, Lucario might get replaced by a Zoroark like Windigo said, and as for Link… NO MORE LINK CLONES! No Pointless Young Link or Toon Link or even 4 Swords Link, Just Teenage Skyward Sword Link, That's all.

As for new characters, More nintendo characters? ¯\(°_o)/¯ Idonnolul! Other then Punch-Out there's not many characters left to make unique fighters. So all eyes are on Namco for crossovers… Pacman;Nuff Said,
Soulcalibur;There Might 0-2 Characters from Soulcalibur, I'm hoping Taki and Heishiro will make it, I've never played a Tekken of Tales of Game so I don't care, Tekken is very likely to be in SSB4 but i'm not sure about Tales of because I don't know any Tales of character.

So I Agree with Verbose, Characters should change moves and fight styles to keep the game fresh, But the Brawl Characters should be DLC for SSB4, The characters added in Brawl are unique and fun like all other Characters, Infact I play them more then the Melee characters, so it would be disapointing for players to not have them in SSB4.

Here's a crazy idea: customizable move-sets.
As in, before hand you can choose what the characters special moves will be- like choosing weather or not Mario's down B is the F.L.U.D.D. or the spin attack, or picking between the basic fireball of the Dr. Mario pill. The choices the player makes would effect the appearance of the character, Like picking the Pill would give mario a Lab coat instead of the classic.

Of course, this could make balancing a challenge, maybe a point system where each character is allowed a certain number of points and really awesome moves would cost more. So you could give a character a really beefy >B in at the cost of having to get a really puny ^B, or you could make your character really middle of the road with all average moves. It's a thought.

I dunno about that, Windigo. I think that multiple outfits alone is enough.

Besides, I think FLUDD was useless.

@Notsocool: I'm not sure if using anyone from Tekken seems likely at the moment…

As for other choices from Namco to replace some clones and weak characters, I'd think it would probably be either:

Pacman

Taizo Hori

or Klonoa.

For new Nintendo characters, I'd like to nominate:

Little Mac

The Elite Beat Agents

or Stanley the Bugman (holding my breath on that one, though)

Also, I'd like if movesets and stats were customizable. Heck, maybe even put in a character creator or give your Mii a custom moveset.

Last edited Jul 07, 2012 at 08:24PM EDT

By the way, Sakurai said this on Capcom, for those of you that really want Mega Man or something like that in. "I can't say that it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros. The big problem, though, comes from the idea of trying to get characters from a completely different universe to fit with the style that has been dictated by Nintendo's characters in a fighting game."

Katie C. wrote:

By the way, anything here made by Nintendo or its close affiliates is fair game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo

Wow, there was a couple of things there I was going to say, but it turns out they wasn't released in America.

Twenty-One wrote:

Wow, there was a couple of things there I was going to say, but it turns out they wasn't released in America.

Fire Emblem 1, Fire Emblem 3, Fire Emblem 6 and MOTHER 3 weren't released in America.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!