Forums / Discussion / General

232,891 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Super Smash Bros 4

Last posted Jul 18, 2012 at 06:41PM EDT. Added Jun 30, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
276 posts from 44 users

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

It isn't a matter of cutting down on them, but it seems Sakurai is planning on no more characters than Brawls cast.

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

Also, this game is going to be huge regardless of the final character roadster, that's why they hired NamcoBandai to work on it with them.

Don't say that they're not going to add any new characters until it comes from the horse's mouth. It's too early to make that call yet.

What I would like to see, is the ability for new DLC available from time to time. They should go with the old standard, and have the main group of starting characters, then have the hidden characters, and as a new feature make even more characters available as DLC to keep things fresh overtime.(Who wouldn't want to See Kirby take on Pac-man or Link cross swords with Lloyd Irving). Besides drawing from a massive library of content from both Nintendo and Namco-Bandai there are endless possibilities. The trophy system needs a little work as well, I did notice that Pokemon seemed have a massive amount of trophies, while some other franchises only got a few.

Mr. Sparkle wrote:

What I would like to see, is the ability for new DLC available from time to time. They should go with the old standard, and have the main group of starting characters, then have the hidden characters, and as a new feature make even more characters available as DLC to keep things fresh overtime.(Who wouldn't want to See Kirby take on Pac-man or Link cross swords with Lloyd Irving). Besides drawing from a massive library of content from both Nintendo and Namco-Bandai there are endless possibilities. The trophy system needs a little work as well, I did notice that Pokemon seemed have a massive amount of trophies, while some other franchises only got a few.

Knowing Sakurai, it probably won't happen

Knowing Yoshito Higuchi, it has a more probable chance of happening. Besides, Nintendo will probably urge them to create a DLC team.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 09:51AM EDT

I'd like to see at least 50 characters for standard game though, because it would be ridiculous to not add more content. He says he's worried about balance, but he never really did anything to ensure it.

Here are just my main demands for the game.

1: Use Melee physics.
2: Stop making useless items. I'm looking at you, smoke ball.
3: Bring back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish

I'll think of others later.

Katie C. wrote:

I'd like to see at least 50 characters for standard game though, because it would be ridiculous to not add more content. He says he's worried about balance, but he never really did anything to ensure it.

Here are just my main demands for the game.

1: Use Melee physics.
2: Stop making useless items. I'm looking at you, smoke ball.
3: Bring back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish

I'll think of others later.

4. If they add another Starfox character, for fuck's sake don't make it a clone.
5. No more new Links, we don't need a third.
6. No useless modes like the Chronicle Mode was.

Derpy Hooves wrote:

4. If they add another Starfox character, for fuck's sake don't make it a clone.
5. No more new Links, we don't need a third.
6. No useless modes like the Chronicle Mode was.

Krystal may make for a good character, but that would put 4 characters in from a franchise that has few major characters.

We didn't need a 2nd

For that matter, don't dumb down good modes like they did with Break the Targets

The main problem that i think the smash bros games have is that there are to many clone characters and not enough variety. for example in brawl Fox, Falco, and Wolf all had the exact same moves. Sure some of them were a little different and they look a lot different but if you scratch all of that out then the all fight the same.

But i think the amount of clone characters in brawl isn't as high as melee.

What do you guys think?

If anything, they've kept the original characters around since the first game, those being mario, luigi, pikachu, yoshi, donkey kong, link, samus, captain falcon, fox, jigglypuff, kirby, and ness. I'm expecting for them to all return to smash bros 4.

@Katie:
1: Use Melee physics: Despite the game being built from scratch, they probably will return to a physics set more similar to Melee.
2: Stop making useless items. I’m looking at you, smoke ball: And the Sand Bag, Soccer Ball, and the Team Healer.
3: Bring back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish: YES!

@Derpy:
4. If they add another Starfox character, for fuck’s sake don’t make it a clone: Krystal has potential for using a moveset similar to Foxes Polearm style in Starfox Adventures. However, they should focus more on making the existing characters more original.
5. No more new Links, we don’t need a third: Hurr Durr, now we have Ocarina of Time Link, Skyward Sword Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Twilight Princess Link, Toon Ganon, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Toon Twilight Princess Link, Classic Link, 16 Bit Link shot Yeah, we just need Link, Zelda, Ganon, and maybe another villain.
6. No useless modes like the Chronicle Mode was: Chronicle Mode? Umm…. looks it up OH! THAT Useless Little thingy. Yeah, they really didn't need that. We have something called Wikipedia.
--

My Input:
7. Return of the Trophy Machine. The Coin shooter minigame doesn't give you a clear indicator of when to stop.
8. Don't overload the game with Music. One or two songs per stage is enough. Besides, Quality over Quantity.
8a. On the topic of music, make the Menu Theme different from the Main Theme.
9. As stated before, short Character Specific Stories with or in place of a larger story like the Subspace Emissary.
10. Different Costumes, not different textures. Eample: Link has an Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Zora Armor, Skyward Sword, and a Dark Link costume. Even include special voice packs with costumes like Dark Link, Dark Pit, etc.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 02:25PM EDT

@Katie:
1: Use Melee physics: Despite the game being built from scratch, they probably will return to a physics set more similar to Melee.
2: Stop making useless items. I’m looking at you, smoke ball: And the Sand Bag, Soccer Ball, and the Team Healer.
3: Bring back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish: YES!

@Derpy:
4. If they add another Starfox character, for fuck’s sake don’t make it a clone: Krystal has potential for using a moveset similar to Foxes Polearm style in Starfox Adventures. However, they should focus more on making the existing characters more original.
5. No more new Links, we don’t need a third: Hurr Durr, now we have Ocarina of Time Link, Skyward Sword Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Twilight Princess Link, Toon Ganon, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Toon Twilight Princess Link, Classic Link, 16 Bit Link shot Yeah, we just need Link, Zelda, Ganon, and maybe another villain.
6. No useless modes like the Chronicle Mode was: Chronicle Mode? Umm…. looks it up OH! THAT Useless Little thingy. Yeah, they really didn't need that. We have something called Wikipedia.
--

My Input:
7. Return of the Trophy Machine. The Coin shooter minigame doesn't give you a clear indicator of when to stop.
8. Don't overload the game with Music. One or two songs per stage is enough. Besides, Quality over Quantity.
8a. On the topic of music, make the Menu Theme different from the Main Theme.
9. As stated before, short Character Specific Stories with or in place of a larger story like the Subspace Emissary.
10. Different Costumes, not different textures. Eample: Link has an Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Zora Armor, Skyward Sword, and a Dark Link costume. Even include special voice packs with costumes like Dark Link, Dark Pit, etc.

Coin shooter was better IMO

The game was fine with how it handled music. There just needs to be more music that we would actually listen to.

I concur

I'd like to see costumes and appearances that are more well known and actually exist. I'm looking at you, Dark Fox. What game were you in again? Oh right, none.

Keep tripping.
It has never let me down.
Either when I tripped or my opponent tripped.
I usually play as falcon, he has very low traction so he trips a lot.
My friends seem to get mad at me when I say I like tripping.
It usually messes them up.
And when I trip it's always at the best times. I usually come very close to getting hit, then I trip.
Keep it.

I'm known as the lucky bastard of gaming sometimes…
Also am I the only person who plays brawl, and puts tripping into their strategy?

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Keep tripping.
And when I trip it's always at the best times. I usually come very close to getting hit, then I trip.
Keep it.

Also am I the only person who plays brawl, and puts tripping into their strategy?

I say keep the tripping as well.
@thread
Also, I would rather see character specific stories over one large one. Maybe turn that into the new arcade mode? Though, with Namco-Bandai part of the team, I shall be expecting good things.

12. Better stage creator. There were so many times I wanted to create a grounded stage, but couldn't.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 02:48PM EDT

13. Don't make all the content so damn easy to unlock. Seriously, you could unlock all the Characters in Brawl in a Day if you jumped straight to the Story mode. In fact, Character Specific Stories would combat this problem greatly.

I decided to go on brawl and have a look at the features. I'll list them and give my opinion on them (I'm leaving out group, training, classic, Target smash and Home-run, because I have a strong feeling they will be back, and I like them all as they are):

• Story mode: All of my yes goes into a new one
  • All-star: Personally, I hated this mode. Don't know why, I just did.
  • Events: I loved these, they just need to be made better
  • Multi-man brawl: I loved this, it was a good challenge. However, I hated cruel brawl, it was more like impossible brawl (unless you used the disk glitch)
  • Boss battles: If there is a story mode, I want this back. I loved it
  • Stage builder: I actually like it as it is, all I want is more features
  • Challenges: Again, I loved these. Unlike some, most of these gave a target to achieve, even if some were part of the main story
  • Trophies & Stickers: I loved collecting trophies, and stickers were great while playing the main story.
  • Chronicle: call me mad, but I loved this. I liked looking back at the different games for old systems and when they were released, but that's coming from a nintendo fanboy's perspective.
  • Masterpieces: If anything, I thought these were pointless. They were so quick, you couldn't get past the first few enemies without running out of time.
  • Songs: I also loved these some of the best songs in nintendo gaming, either re-mastered, or left alone.
Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 03:23PM EDT

Ann Hiro wrote:

Keep tripping.
Keep it.

All I have to say is…

That's about the dumbest shit I think I've ever read.

Twenty-One wrote:

I decided to go on brawl and have a look at the features. I'll list them and give my opinion on them (I'm leaving out group, training, classic, Target smash and Home-run, because I have a strong feeling they will be back, and I like them all as they are):

• Story mode: All of my yes goes into a new one
  • All-star: Personally, I hated this mode. Don't know why, I just did.
  • Events: I loved these, they just need to be made better
  • Multi-man brawl: I loved this, it was a good challenge. However, I hated cruel brawl, it was more like impossible brawl (unless you used the disk glitch)
  • Boss battles: If there is a story mode, I want this back. I loved it
  • Stage builder: I actually like it as it is, all I want is more features
  • Challenges: Again, I loved these. Unlike some, most of these gave a target to achieve, even if some were part of the main story
  • Trophies & Stickers: I loved collecting trophies, and stickers were great while playing the main story.
  • Chronicle: call me mad, but I loved this. I liked looking back at the different games for old systems and when they were released, but that's coming from a nintendo fanboy's perspective.
  • Masterpieces: If anything, I thought these were pointless. They were so quick, you couldn't get past the first few enemies without running out of time.
  • Songs: I also loved these some of the best songs in nintendo gaming, either re-mastered, or left alone.

1: Given
2: It was just obnoxiously long. I want to see it removed.
3: I'd like to see more unique events
4: Fine as is, I guess
5: Given
6: Add new features
7: Fine as it
8: Fine as is
9: Not a priority, but it doesn't hurt. I'd recommend having the entire list filled from the start.
10: A giant waste of space, remove it
11: Fine as is, add new ones, take some of the worse ones out

Adam DeLand wrote:

15. Give Link the ability to transform into wolf Link, a la Zelda into Sheik.

I can't find the source again, but according to Brawl's code dump apparently Link was suppose to transform into Wolf Link after performing his Final Smash like Samus → Zero Suit Samus and vice versa.

However, this was probably scrapped earlier on, as Wolf Link and Midna appeared as a Trophy.

Note: Along with the unused Wolf Link data: Dixie (Kong), Dr. Mario, Roy, Toon Zelda. Toon Sheik, Pra Mai (Plusle/Minum?), and Mewtwo where all unfinished characters for Brawl. Other data suggests that Falco was going to have an Arwing as his Final Smash, and the assist trophies Lyn and Issac where going to be playable prior to them being demoted.

Now here's another thing: Unlike several of the Cut Characters, a regular trophy for Roy is not available. Meaning one of two things: Roy was intended for the final cast, but was cut at the last minute to make the deadline, or two, they just plain old forgot.

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 07:35PM EDT

Indeed, which is why they gave Ike the Eruption B attack, to appeal to Roy fans. If Roy had made it in they probably would have given Ike Ragnell's Ranged Strike as the B Attack.

(Essentially a downward swing that releases a blade of energy like you see. More useful than the 15 Second to charge up Eruption attack if you ask me. Like Samus's standard B, Eruption takes too long to charge to be useable in combat.)

Last edited Jul 12, 2012 at 08:25PM EDT

Indeed, which is why they gave Ike the Eruption B attack, to appeal to Roy fans. If Roy had made it in they probably would have given Ike Ragnell's Ranged Strike as the B Attack.

(Essentially a downward swing that releases a blade of energy like you see. More useful than the 15 Second to charge up Eruption attack if you ask me. Like Samus's standard B, Eruption takes too long to charge to be useable in combat.)

Eruption is good if you're camping at the side of a ledge.

17. Do not factor in Final Smashes into the balancing of the characters.

Many characters got nerfed to hell or powered up too greatly because of this. All the characters would seem more appealing to play as regardless of the Final Smash if they didn't factor it in.

And on the topic of Final Smashes…

18. Have all the Final Form Final Smashes time limits shortened to something long enough to get a few kills, but not long enough to kill the same person twice.

Pikachu, Snake, Yoshi, and a few others had acceptable time limits, as they usually couldn't kill more times than there was players. However Landmaster, Octopus, and Super Sonic could rack up to 6 even 8 kills sometimes (it has happened to me once at a party… damn Super Sonic). Either power those puppies down, swap them out with something else, or shorten their time limit.

Last edited Jul 13, 2012 at 06:59PM EDT

17. Do not factor in Final Smashes into the balancing of the characters.

Many characters got nerfed to hell or powered up too greatly because of this. All the characters would seem more appealing to play as regardless of the Final Smash if they didn't factor it in.

And on the topic of Final Smashes…

18. Have all the Final Form Final Smashes time limits shortened to something long enough to get a few kills, but not long enough to kill the same person twice.

Pikachu, Snake, Yoshi, and a few others had acceptable time limits, as they usually couldn't kill more times than there was players. However Landmaster, Octopus, and Super Sonic could rack up to 6 even 8 kills sometimes (it has happened to me once at a party… damn Super Sonic). Either power those puppies down, swap them out with something else, or shorten their time limit.

Final Smashes weren't really all that factored in for balancing to begin with.

Landmaster's op because you can do that move where you use the thrusters to push someone above the upper blast line.

Have they said anything regarding characters from the Soul series, though? One of them might be a good idea. Maybe someone with a blunt weapon, like Kilik. But I think they could use just about anyone from that series, if they found a way to balance them right without making them seem too different from where they originated.

Also, you haven't seen anything to do with Ace Combat, have you?

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Have they said anything regarding characters from the Soul series, though? One of them might be a good idea. Maybe someone with a blunt weapon, like Kilik. But I think they could use just about anyone from that series, if they found a way to balance them right without making them seem too different from where they originated.

Also, you haven't seen anything to do with Ace Combat, have you?

If Tekken doesn't "fit in" with Smash Bros, then Ace Combat sure won't

Twenty-One wrote:

If Tekken doesn't "fit in" with Smash Bros, then Ace Combat sure won't

As far as I saw, they said nothing of Tekken characters "fitting in", so there's still a chance.

Besides, weirder shit has happened in SSB.

As far as I saw, they said nothing of Tekken characters "fitting in", so there's still a chance.

I've seen a lot of the fan complaints, and that's their reasoning. Personally, I think it's flawed reasoning, as they did let Snake in without complaining

Twenty-One wrote:

I've seen a lot of the fan complaints, and that's their reasoning. Personally, I think it's flawed reasoning, as they did let Snake in without complaining

People simply dislike it when you touch "their" franchise. It commonly results in bad arguments or overreacting for "Yet another great franchise destroyed har har!".

Mostly, I kinda want to see another stage in the game with a similar layout and feel to SSB64's Saffron City stage, and I think that if Namco Bandai's involved in the development of this new SSB game, it would be nice to have a Miami Rooftops stage that blends the layout of Saffron City with the feel of the Great Fox stages from throughout the SSB games.

Katie C. wrote:

FE 10 and 11 did not have any same characters.

Also, who the hell would put Sothe in SSB as a character? He was not a main in his games, in the first game he was in he was a side character.

I'd say the new main will be in SSB4. Ike will be in because popular. Marth may or may not still be in, but he's popular too.

In addition, FE 4 and 5 used the same characters (FE5 was like a side story) AND FE 6 and 7 shared some of the cast.

American Tanker wrote:

As far as I saw, they said nothing of Tekken characters “fitting in”, so there’s still a chance.

There could be an Ace Combat inspired stage?

That's what I'm getting at, Phoenix.

Not saying "It will happen", just that "It might happen, and I'd be slightly disappointed if it didn't".

All of this talking about Tekken and Ace Combat got me thinking of a previous 3rd party character… other than being close friends with Kojima, why did Sakurai and the Smash Bros. team put Snake in SSBB? If my memory is to be believed, weren't all Nintendo Metal Gear games ports? For example, the first game was released on the Sony MSX2 and later ported to the NES.

I know it sounds odd, but it's just been bugging me for a while.

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

All of this talking about Tekken and Ace Combat got me thinking of a previous 3rd party character… other than being close friends with Kojima, why did Sakurai and the Smash Bros. team put Snake in SSBB? If my memory is to be believed, weren't all Nintendo Metal Gear games ports? For example, the first game was released on the Sony MSX2 and later ported to the NES.

I know it sounds odd, but it's just been bugging me for a while.

Being close friends with Kojima was basically it.
Snake's creator Hideo Kojima asked to put Snake in the game and Sakurai was O.K. with it.

Yes, they were ports.

Also, the most likely Namco Bandai franchise to be in at this point would be Soulcalibur, because it's a fighting game and Soulcalibur 2 had Link in it.

EDIT: Or Pac-Man

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 07:22PM EDT

Katie C. wrote:

Yes, they were ports.

Also, the most likely Namco Bandai franchise to be in at this point would be Soulcalibur, because it's a fighting game and Soulcalibur 2 had Link in it.

EDIT: Or Pac-Man

Very true. Though the "fighting game" side of it is why I thought someone from Tekken might get in, too.

Hey, why not rep both by putting Yoshimitsu in there, eh?

As for Ace Combat, I guess it's just because it's pretty much the only Namco Bandai series that I really like, and because I think something aerial combat related would be cool. Speaking of which, why not throw in a stage set on a B-52 bomber in a large scale bombing raid, complete with fighters and flak and SAMs everywhere? Maybe even have it where the bomber you're standing on can be shot down, forcing you to jump between a group of fighters to get to another bomber?

Old Supposed Leaked Image from the 3DS version of Smash Bros 4.

3D version

Likely fake, but this is close to what the 3DS version may actually look like.
--

@Nair: As of now NamcoBandai has not revealed who they are going to cross over. However considering who one of the the directors is it will likely be Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell from the Tales series.

Ace Combat is not going to be a likely candidate unless DLC will be available for Smash Bros.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 08:02PM EDT

If there won't be a character, there won't be a stage.
Also, there would never be an Ace Combat character.
Let's try to think about what would go best in the game.

Katie C. wrote:

If there won't be a character, there won't be a stage.
Also, there would never be an Ace Combat character.
Let's try to think about what would go best in the game.

I never said anything about an Ace Combat character getting into the game. Maybe some stages based on it.

Besides, wasn't there a game that got represented by a stage and nothing more in Brawl? Electroplankton or some such?

I never said anything about an Ace Combat character getting into the game. Maybe some stages based on it.

Besides, wasn't there a game that got represented by a stage and nothing more in Brawl? Electroplankton or some such?

I forgot about Hanenbow, but that was a special case due to the nature of the game.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!