Forums / Discussion / General

171,266 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

I’m starting to wonder if this is becoming a hate triangle now.

Actually, a hate quadrangle. Outside people hate us, producers hate us a bit I guess (or something), Hasbro acts as if it were bringing down the fandom, and we’re stuck in the middle. And then we hate the haters, we fly at Hasbro, and we get mad from the controversies.

And then Hasbro is controlling the production of the show like a puppeteer, keeping the outside people from the fandom (mostly haters) in check to make sure they’re not trying to boycott they’re products or something like that, and they’re trying to keep all of that controversy in check.

AND THEN, the outside people are hating on Hasbro, the producers, and the fandom.

AND THEN the producers are in a stage of uncertainty or something, and they hate Hasbro and stuff.

/half-satire

REB DoMiNe would love that theory
He’s full of hate and he loves it
lots o hate in that
Hate
Hate Everywhere

[/Hate]

Last edited Feb 25, 2013 at 10:22PM EST
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:21PM EST
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

Madam Rarity, may I ask you a question? Who had the best and the worst Oscars dresses last night?

If that question is directed towards me, than I can’t help you.
Sadly, I share little of Rarity’s enthusiasm towards fashion.
I’d much rather bitch about watch movies than watch millionaires show off their 600-diamond ring made from the carbon of African children or their 2 million dollar dress cultivated in what was once the Amazon Basin.

argo fuck yourself

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:25PM EST
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Something funny I’ve noticed about Daniel Ingram’s compositional style is a tendency he has for using this one cheap trick to raise the excitement in some of his songs. What he’ll do is that as the end of the song draws near, he’ll shift the key up a half step for a big finish. Check it out


The key shifts at 3:34 from F major to F sharp major

The key shifts at 2:58 from D sharp major to E major

The key shifts at 2:28 from G major to G sharp major

Ingram goes a little crazy with that trick here. He shifts from C sharp major to D major at 032, D to D sharp major at 0:47, D sharp to E major at 1:02, and E to F major at 1:16 (Piano pony is such a boss. Look at him finishing the song even after he takes a nut shot from Pinkie and all the other musicians are down.)

What is happening in each of these changes is that Ingram is shifting the key up to the next possible note in the chromatic scale. This changing of key is very interesting to me as a classically trained music theorist because even though key changes are standard fair for classical music as a means to maintain interest and contrast in a piece, Ingram does three things in his key changes that the classicals would have scoffed at.

1: He modulates to a note only a half step away from the home key: When composers in the classical period made key changes, they would, at least early on, restrict their changes to keys that were closely related to the home key. It might seem common sensical that the keys A and A sharp ought to be very closely related, but in fact they are as distantly related as two keys can be. We don’t measure relatedness of keys by their proximity to each other, but by the number of notes they share in common, and two adjacent keys have only two.
2:He modulates with little or no preperation: When a composer modulates in key, he’ll typically use a small transitional passage to ease into it. Ingram shifts key with little or no preperation whatsoever.
3: He ends on the key he modulated to. Classical theory dictates that a modulation to a foreign key be only temporary and that the piece must return to the home key for its conclusion to give a sense of completion and solidarity. Ingram just ends in the new key.

So yeah, Daniel is definately breaking the rules a bit. He’s breaking them in a very effective way however. By shifting to this foreign key after the music has been piddling about in the old key for so long, he helps ensure that the ending sounds new and fresh despite the fact that it’s the same melodic and harmonic material just transposed up a bit, and the fact that he’s shifting with the little preperation to such a distant key makes the ending sound unstable and exciting.

It’s a very effective technique, but I do kind of resent him for using it so much. It’s a cheap trick because it allows you to have a big ending without putting much effort into it. That being said, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t plan on using it myself.

This is exactly why I bloody posted on your wall. Seriously, do you passively analyze music when you listen to it? That’s like, intense.

I think the whole thing with pop music like this is to be predictable. Daniel Ingram is no worse than anyone else out there. He may overuse the mechanic, but it’s not something you hear too often outside of FiM. I wouldn’t say it’s cheating, just following a winning formula. Like I – V – vi – IV.


@Las Pegasus

My God, this is worse than that orgy!

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:12AM EST
Quote

@More from Tara

Note that she specifically points out that the attendees and volunteers were great.
She is completely aware that it was only the organizers who failed.
I doubt this event has significantly soured her perception of the fandom as a whole, though it might make her a bit more cautious about accepting invitations to other cons, especially first-time cons like this one was.
For cons that are established and have a record of smooth operation, I hope that enough confidence still remains in their proven abilities.
And she quickly went back to her normal, joking self:

Don’t worry too much, guys.
The resident Brony Queen was certainly shaken, but she’s still our friend!



I would love to see someone offer up T-shirts with this design to the attendees!
(Honestly, turning a debacle like this into a source of comedy could potentially go a long way toward limiting its long-term emotional impact. Not that the real underlying issues should be ignored, but keeping a general levity about these things can help at times. Look at some of the jokes made around our other big ‘events’ like Lyra Plushie, Derpy’s censorship, and Twilicorn.)


@Hate Quadrangle

Yeah, i think this whole thing is getting a bit overblown in the Brony-sphere.
Yes, there are definitely some sore spots between all the different parties, but I still assert that things are overall largely positive.
Hasbro isn’t trying to destroy us, bronies may disagree with some of the company’s decisions but in the same way that fans of any show will do from time to time, outsiders will do what they want.
Every group has outliers who are truly destructive (and considering MLP’s ‘birth’ on 4chan, I’m sure we have our fair share), but I still see this fanbase as very strong.
It’s just the vocal minority skewing the perception.

Last edited Feb 26, 2013 at 03:37AM EST
Feb 26, 2013 at 03:31AM EST
Quote

@Hate Quadrangle

What are we becoming? Homestuck style Trolls? We shouldn’t need a freaking Hate Quadrangle, we don’t have any kind of romantic purpose for hate!

But since we somehow managed to find ourselves in it anyways, it seems to have turned into a freaking Vacillation affair.

This is all meaningless words to non Homestuck fans though, so here’s some Ponifed Vriska instead.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:58AM EST
Quote

@Twins

Thanks! Things just tend to start to stick out after awhile when you’ve been listening for this stuff for as long as I have.

Well, it’s like I’ve always said about Ingram, he’s not so much an ‘artist’ as he is a highly skilled ‘musical craftsman,’ and his songs aren’t so much ‘music’ as they are ‘tonal brain crack.’ Yes, I admire Ingram for his ability to apply musical conventions to effectively craft specific songs with specific feelings and I most certainly enjoy the songs. At the same time, I can’t help but resent that he’s got it down to such a goddamn science.

It reminds of getting dragged to that pentecostal church and seeing those people bent over in the aisle having ‘transcendent’ experiences while listening to the shitty Christian rock band. I just wanted to scream out at them “You’re not having a visit from Jesus, your brain is getting manipulated by the tones emitting from some hack playing an acoustic guitar. I can write down exactly why this makes you feel the way you feel!”

@Hate hypercube

Most adorable hatedom EVAR <3

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:55AM EST
Quote

Now that someone else has posted… I shall now provide my new crazy head-canon on how the majority of Ponies are named in universe.

Forgive me if I mangle logic at any point, or ever state the obvious.

Basically, there are several conventions for naming, and it’s possible some of them are regional. And it’s possible that they embody the cultural ideas each ponies family has on what part of their identity is most important as a first impression. Or perhaps how each culture expects to identify others by only a name.

Convention One: Physical Descriptive.
In this convention, the first part of their name is meant to be descriptive of what they look like, or some other quick observation. Twilight (Sparkle) looks like the sky as Night descends, Rainbow (Dash) is Rainbow Colored, Pinkie (Pie) is pink. In theory, this is possibly because that part of their appearance is atypical of their region or background and they live in a society where first social introduction is through word of mouth or written form and being able to tell what someone may look like from a name is an advantage when introducing one’s self; Either so they can pick out who they are looking for in a crowd, or as a way of surprising them by guessing their name before they introduce themselves which would allow one to show that the other has gained a reputation, which may be flattering. One Specific Instance of this last point is when Twilight guessed Rainbow Dash’s name from merely her looks and her actions (see next). Which provoked a response of “The one and only! Why? Have you heard of Me?”. Seems to be often be used in conjunction with Action based names. It’s fairly easy to imagine how the parents choose these names.

Convention Two: Actions
Using a verb in place of part of a name seems to be common enough: Flutter(Shy), (Rainbow) Dash, (Twilight) Sparkle. The main Cultural associations here are that one expects to be able to tell who another pony is by what they will most likely be doing. As with the previous naming convention, it’s all about first impressions, albeit more about reinforcing them once met in person by simply saying their name; although it also may include a hint of gaining a reputation by word of mouth, and other ponies recognize them by how they move. In a pony culture that uses these names, the idea is that you’re looking for some pony that’s doing a specific action often enough. Or rather, you run into them while they are doing it, which if used without a Physical descriptive name reduces the chance they were looking for them and makes it more likely they simply heard of their reputation. This Is painfully obvious a way of looking at things when Rainbow Dash does the whole Crash into Hello thing. These names are probably selected based on a ponies first or most common set of actions while still a Filly as seen by the parent.

Convention Three: Behavioral/Personality Trait.
Fluttershy is the only one of the Mane Six with this convention, with “Shy”, but it’s also potentially Present in Sweetie (Belle) and Cheer(-ilee). And Trixie is a maybe if you consider it a distortion of “Tricky”, meaning she’s a trickster. Unlike the previous naming conventions, these are less focused on first impressions and more on what kind of behavior to expect from them in future. Trixie for example may be a warning light to others that one should expect her to not to be the easiest to live with thanks to her pulling a few tricks on you. It’s kinda like how some villains in other shows are named things that others should run away from really fast, except invoked. This part of the name may be given after much thought unlike other names, after interpreting the young Pony’s behavior and noting it’s fairly consistent. This is one kind of name that doesn’t so much seem to be good for finding a pony while out on the street. But under the consideration of the possibility of meeting them in their natural circumstances while already knowing their name, it is possible for it to boost the first impression more if their first impressions live up to the impression their names gave. The best point on Pony cultures that use these names is that they are probably very intimate.

Convention Four: Objects
Apple(Jack) and (Pinkie) Pie are the two I can think of. But I can’t imagine a proper reason for this type of name so easily. My best guess it has something to do with what they or their family is expected to be able to work with and what they can create. In which case, it’s another one of those names that don’t have anything to do with first impressions, but this time it’s more like their name is a good substitute for a business card. So once everyone is introduced, they know who to go for to get what in that town. I suspect this is one of those names that is simply passed down like a family name, seeing as anyone in that family is likely to pick up some skill that’s been passed down the generations, although in the case of Apple Bloom that may muddy the issue. But whatever the case, pony cultures with these kinds on names seem to be very work oriented.

Well, that’s my over analysis on pony culture for the day. On something completely trivial as names no less. I’ll leave you guys to figure out further possibilities.

Last edited Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31AM EST
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:30AM EST
Quote

Wow, there’s a lot of hate going on around here…

Sorry I was away for the past week, it was mid-term break. No university means no internet for me. Anyway, I’m back now. And since the season is officially over, I can finally go online without the constant fear of spoilers!!!


@names
You know, that reminds me of an image I saw a long time ago… It was of a bunch of ponies standing in line to have their names changed because they didn’t match their cutie marks. I just spent the last hour scouring the internet for that image, but I couldn’t find it! Blah… oh well.

That is something I’ve wondered about though. Does the name decide the cutie mark, or does the cutie mark decide the name? Or are they just destined to correspond to one another via magic?

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:39PM EST
Quote

Hey! It’s a me, Bruno!

It has been some time since the last time I posted here (3 or 4 pages, which is a lot in forum time).
Anything new about the future of the cartoon or any other big announcement?

Last edited Feb 26, 2013 at 01:49PM EST
Feb 26, 2013 at 01:49PM EST
Quote

@ZeroBlue: That is a very interesting analysis on pony names, and was quite a joy to read. This makes me wonder, how long do pony parents usually take to name their offspring? In the instance of Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake it seemed that the Cakes decided the names of their children very quickly. Of course, this could be explained by being a combination of ZeroBlue’s conventions 1 and 4 (physical appearance and objects). It seems that the Cakes like to carry on a “family name” just like the Apple family does, and they chose Pumpkin’s name because she was orange like a pumpkin cake and Pound’s because he’s brown(ish) like a pound cake (duh). If the Cakes had a child that was a red pony, it would probably be named something along the lines of Red Velvet Cake.


I’m inclined to believe that while the Cakes decided the names of their children very quickly, other parents tend to take a longer time to decided on their name. For instance, Twilight Sparkle’s name is a combination of conventions 1 and 2 (appearance and actions). Twi’s parents probably decided quickly that her first name would be Twilight due to her colors, but maybe took 2 or 3 weeks to decide on the “Sparkle” part after seeing Twilight’s raw talent in magic that she had yet to be able to control as a baby. Same could be said for Rainbow Dash, as her parents probably had to deal with her flying like a bullet all over he place.


This begs the question, where did Rarity’s name come from? Was this because her parents had a feeling that she was going to be something special (a “rarity” if you will) and it just happened to tie in with her special talent? Do parents of this world have somewhat of a sixth sense of what their children’s special talent is going to be without fully realizing it themselves? This is probably a question that will not be addressed unless one of the mane 6 for some weird reason has a child in the series.


And finally, a last speculation: Is legally changing your name possible in Equestria? I imagine it might be, at least for the case of “family names”. It’s possible that Mrs. Cake did not have the name “Cake” before marrying Mr. Cake. Then again, it’s also possible that she did have “Cake” as part of her name before she got married and having the similarity in names could be considered somewhat of a “soulmate” sort of thing. Another reason I bring this up is, what if the parents got the name wrong? In the case of Apple Bloom, she might not have her special talent have anything to do with working on the Apple farm at all. There have probably been other cases where a parent has given their child a name that did not quite fit with their talent (especially in the case of family names). Would it be possible for that pony to change their names? Would there be any pony in this universe that would even want to change their name?


God dammit, you guys just made me spend an hour typing a post about ponies when I should have been working on an art project.

Last edited Feb 26, 2013 at 02:00PM EST
Feb 26, 2013 at 01:58PM EST
Quote


I… I don’t even…

@Naming Conventions
I don’t think you can really nail down any solid rules for pony names in any in-universe way.
My best attempt would be to say that it is a similar phenomenon to the cutie mark thing in Cutie Mark Chronicles: some degree of ‘destiny’ combined with a prophetic amount of random chance.
From Baby Cakes, we do know that babies are named at birth so it’s not like they wait to see what the kid will be interested in or good at.
(In fact, if they did wait, most ponies probably wouldn’t be named until they got their cutie marks. That would be confusing…)
Why would rock farmers name their daughter ‘Pinkie Pie?’
How did Fluttershy’s parents know that she’d be shy and/or a weak flyer (‘flutter’)?
Who knew that Scootaloo would be so good on her scooter? (That could technically be a bit of a parental push – ‘My kid is going to be the best on a scooter! I’ll give her one at birth and she’ll use it all the time!’)
inb4 >Scootaloo, >Parents, >Costanza

So yeah, unless legal name changes happen all the time and no one ever gets confused in a society where personal references can be switched at will, I’m going to just put it down to magic.


@Unicon
Looks like even more people are pooling together to recoup the losses from the amazing collapsing con.
M. A. Larson is now auctioning off four signed “I believe in M. A. Larson” buttons that will each come with a page of one of his scripts, proceeds going toward helping those who were hurt financially.
Auctions!
It sounds like he’s actually doing this mainly for the rank-and-file bronies who lost money, not the VAs and writers.
That’s a nice touch.



Drawn by one of the actual storyboard artists for the show.
Apparently, Spike is going to be living on the moon in Season 4!
What a twist!

Last edited Feb 26, 2013 at 02:17PM EST
Feb 26, 2013 at 02:10PM EST
Quote

@Pony names

Haven’t you people ever heard the old adage nomen est omen?

We humans often are oddly prophetic in our naming practices too, despite living in a decidedly less magical world. For example, my real name resembles the Greek word for honour. Three guesses as to what character archetypes I like best. Also shows in that I tend to start wanting to inflict grievous bodily harm on anyone who makes the mistake of insulting something I care about, despite finding violence a generally inefficient means of solving problems.

Since Equestria is a place of magic with much ado about destiny, I’d say clairvoyant nomenclature is something one really should see coming. In fact, it would be rather absurd to assume otherwise. Because hey, if we hapless apes can get it right half the time, a bunch of magical critters who regularly deal with godlike beings ought to have an even better success rate, no?

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:17PM EST
Quote

So, anyways, I was getting ready to listen to music on Spotify Free (U.S.) and I noticed something was up with the ad on the right:

Hmmm…that thing with blue hair and white face…looks familar…

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:15PM EST
Quote

I got this weird thought about what would happen if a bunch of users on the site got their avatars and personalities switched. Before I knew it I had re-written the entire “What my cutie mark is telling me” song with all the ponies switched for users. So… yeah. Enjoy, I guess.

[Stunthead]
These users just don’t listen.
No not even a tad.
They break all of the site rules and they make the fans look bad.
It’s up to me to mod them, ‘cause plainly you can see
It’s got to be my destiny, and it’s what my avatar is telling me.

[RandomMan]
I need to keep them clopping, need to make them lick their lips,
But I choose all the wrong artists and I post all the wrong ships.
I need to keep them satisfied, my cult can plainly see
It’s got to be my destiny, and it’s what my avatar is telling me.

[Advance]
I’m not too good at lengthy posts, they’re mediocre at the most
No matter what I do I cannot make myself sound more verbose.
I’ve got so many words to use
From the dictionary
But it has to be my destiny, ‘cause it’s what my avatar is telling me.

[Verbose]
Lookie here at what I wrote, a fic called “Tiny Wings.”
It seems that people liked it and demand more Scoota-things.
Now I’m on EQD there’s lots of pressure that this brings.
This plushie sea is quite costly… But it’s what my avatar is telling me.

[DeadParrot222]
I’m not too huge around here so I know I cannot whine
But it seems a bit disturbing that I stalk myself online…
I have to keep on trying, for everyone can see
It’s got to be…
[RandomMan]
It’s got to be…
[Advance]
My destiny
[Verbose]
My destiny
[Stunthead]
And it’s what my avatar…
[Everypony]
It’s what my avatar
Yes it’s what my avatar is telling me!

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:29PM EST
Quote

Daft Punkjet wrote:

So, anyways, I was getting ready to listen to music on Spotify Free (U.S.) and I noticed something was up with the ad on the right:

Hmmm…that thing with blue hair and white face…looks familar…

Dat setlist. I wish there was a heavy metal episode. Seriously, I would love Metallica to appear as ponies or something like that. Oh, when it comes to “hate” well, because of all the hate I am surrounded by 24/7 in society, my heart has become corrupted. It’s like I feel this new power surging in me.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25PM EST
Quote

@Stunthead
That feel when not important enough to be in a song.


@Cutie Marks/Names
Well, it’s rather obvious Equestria is bound by a different set of rules than ours. Maybe their world is so static (which would explain the necessity of manually raising/lower the Sun and Moon, and forcing weather changes) that destinies are preset into the pony, and what is in the future effects the past?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:31PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Dat setlist. I wish there was a heavy metal episode. Seriously, I would love Metallica to appear as ponies or something like that. Oh, when it comes to “hate” well, because of all the hate I am surrounded by 24/7 in society, my heart has become corrupted. It’s like I feel this new power surging in me.

I think Dubstep is a bit overrated, we need a metalhead pony (or at least a pony that looks like a Metalhead we can all immediately assume is the biggest metal head in all of equestria due to a simple mane style)

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:21AM EST
Quote

Sonata Dusk wrote:

@Stunthead
That feel when not important enough to be in a song.


@Cutie Marks/Names
Well, it’s rather obvious Equestria is bound by a different set of rules than ours. Maybe their world is so static (which would explain the necessity of manually raising/lower the Sun and Moon, and forcing weather changes) that destinies are preset into the pony, and what is in the future effects the past?


So, about the big mess with the con. I found this on tumblr, written by mattatatta, (a chap I have a real love/hate for, but that’s another story).

Quick notes about Unicon

Til I get to my computer.

As far as I know:
-All celebrity guests were eventually paid
-Nobody went to jail over the room fiasco, Silva was apparently threatened to be arrested, but wasn’t.
-Vendors didn’t have their funds or merch taken by the hotel.
-There are a bunch of musicians and package holders who are out of pocket for their rooms and other items they were meant to receive in their package. However, people backed each other up, and were in higher spirits because of that.
-The con organisers did not skip town. They did everything they could to keep the con from completely exploding. If it weren’t for everyone who banded together and provided help, things could’ve got much worse.
-The debacle over rooms is the result of a dual-failure on the con organisers and the hotel management. The con didn’t set up a mode of payment for the rooms they were giving to musicians etc, the management accepted the bookings in spite of this glaring issue, and then decided to charge the guests
-All pony media groups present at the con, including rivals Celestia Radio and Everfree Network, joined forces to help everyone getting shafted. This sort of coming together is probably the greatest thing I’ve seen the fandom do. And it definitely kept spirits high
-The charity auction and other proceeds that were not donated to Pegassist, such as Kiki’s fund, went to their respective charities and NOT toward allieviating the con’s problems.
-Through the media groups and donations, Pegassist raised at least 7k, which I believe is what covered the VIP guests. Musicians and package holders are going to have to wait for word on their refunds, but people are being very patient. I hope they are sorted out soon, if only because of how well they handled the mess they were dropped into.
-Overall, the musicians I hung out with, such as Hergest Ridge, Eurobeat, Cyril, and LasFas all had fun and enjoyed the con, in spite of what happened.
-LasFas’ mother is a fantastic person. She didn’t hesitate to take care of the musicians.

My overall thoughts? This was my first con, I realised stuff was falling apart on Sunday, but if it weren’t for how every body came together and did everything they could to help each other, things could’ve been much worse. Like LasFas and Hergest said at the con, what happened couldn’t change the fun we all had, and it certainly couldn’t take away our friendships.

I figured that was a decent way to put things back on track. I’m just glad to see people being sort of cheerful in the face of such a nasty mess.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 12:40AM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:38AM EST
Quote

@Cutie mark discussion

Let’s say you know a guy named John. You look at John and instinctively you say, “Yep. He looks like a John. He doesn’t look like a Dennis or a Milton.” I think that names sort of come to be associated with the pony’s talent; we see the immediate connection between, say, Twilight Sparkle and magic. But “Twilight Sparkle” could mean all sorts of things; she could be an assistant at the local planetarium or a romance novel writer. So there’s that sense of attaching a name to the pony, drawing the meaning we want out of the words. This obviously works better for some ponies than others; Applejack is still kinda screwed. So is Applebloom. And Macintosh, and Granny Smith, and Braeburn.

But then there’s the idea that talents could be somewhat genetic; we see this pretty often, especially in the Apple and Cake family. It’s probably a pretty safe assumption in Equestria that your child will do something similar to what you do, and you would probably be able to think of a name that sort of compliments their likely talents. Worst case scenario, you mess up really badly and your child’s name has nothing to do with their skills, but then, as time passes, their name will slowly come to be associated with how they apply themselves. Sweetie Belle could be a fashionista or a singer or a porn actress.

Hey guys, I don’t pay jack attention to what y’all says in them long posts, so I pro’lly just say’d a bunch’a stuff y’all’s already say’d.

@Cutie mark song

I actually had a pretty good idea floating around in my head. I want to perform a cover of “What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me,” singing about how my newfound destiny is to be a singer. It’s funny because I’m not particularly good at singing. If anyone finds a solid instrumental to the song, send it my way.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:00AM EST
Quote

You know, I’ve been questioned a couple times why I like Vinyl Scratch so much but not Octavia. Seems kind of counter-intuitive to some people given that I love classical music but want to beat my face in with a brick every time I have the misfortune to hear wubs.

The reason why Octavia never really did it for me I feel is that her personality really doesn’t match classical music, or at least not classical music the way I perceive it. Octavia is portrayed as this prudish stiff whose fancy can only be tickled by things of the most refined and elegant persuasion. mmmmmm yeees. I mean come on, look at this.

Open your eyes bitch, you don’t get extra points for doing it blind.

It makes me so sad that classical music has come to be associated with rich, soul dead WASPs. That’s really not what the music is about. The blues is about singing about your miseries (and fucking), pop is about singing about going to the club with your girlfriend (and fucking), metal is about telling everyone what a hardcore badass mofo you are (and fucking). Classical music is about stretching the musical intellect to the limit in order to express reality in all its detail and glory (and yes, fucking, but not just any fucking, but fucking insofar as it is a monumentous cornerstone of human experience!!!) When I think of classical music, I think of this.

Look at the conductor jumping around like he’s got ants in his pants. Look at that one female singer with tears streaming down her face. That is what a classical musician is to me, someone who experiences new levels of earth shattering experience through music, not some stiff, grey, lifeless pone.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:04AM EST
Quote

I walk the barren badlands outside of Ponyville thinking about the defeat I suffered after season three. I can’t forget the image of being stabbed in the chest by that certain somepony. I need more power. If Twilight got more power, why can’t I too? I collapse on the ground with my katana in my hand.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 01:31AM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 01:30AM EST
Quote

@Fifth’s Rant about Octavia.

I don’t think Octavia is lifeless, after all, she does act as a co-conspirator in Pinkie’s “Give the Gala more Life” plan.

But otherwise, I think she’s just the kind of Pony that is very good at maintaining the image expected of her… Until it becomes a stupid idea.

Assuming that she’s lifeless because of that is the same mistake as assuming that an assassin… Well… Assuming anything about an assassin really…

At that point, rather than saying her music is lifeless… it’s actually a more accurate criticism to say her music is constructed to “Meet market expectations”, to the point that she doesn’t get to express her true self.

Thus it’s my head-canon that Octavia is Trying too hard to live up to the expectation of being a refined girl that she ends up rubbing others the wrong way.

But the true her, although strong and resolute, is probably much more flexible and happy and full of life, but she thinks if she shows that, she won’t be accepted by the high society around her.

…Accept that head-canon or not as you will.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:22AM EST
Quote

@Stunthead
Awesome, you finished it!
Now… record it…

Here’s a pretty clean instrumental version of it (the harmonies at the end are still there, but pretty quiet):


So…
Chowz wants a heavy metal pony and Fifths wants Octavia to be more interesting and passionate?

Will that work?
(I do like Octavia as she is. She’s a great ‘straight man’ to Vinyl’s wackiness.)


Another first-hand write-up of Unicon if anyone is still interested: OtakuSquirrel
I actually met this guy at EQLA and he seemed pretty level-headed and cool, so the fact that he was so annoyed by the proceedings probably speaks to how bad it was…


And as an extra treat for all you fans of Tabitha St. Germaine, she released a series of nine videos today that I would highly recommend if you want to watch a grown woman act completely insane in the best possible way.
I’ll just copy the description from the video itself:

Tabitha St. Germain, known for playing Rarity and Princess Luna in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic having a ball playing an insane fairy who posesses a human body to host her own cooking show in her own web-series.

Part 1:

(Go to the channel’s page for the rest.)
Seriously, can you imagine going to work every day with someone like her?
I think you can see why everyone loves Tabitha!
(Try to contain yourself, Fifths…)

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 03:31AM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 03:29AM EST
Quote

@Las Pegasus Unicon

I have been waiting for an official statement from the staff before I say anything about the con, but now it is time and it’s even worse than I thought.

Here the statement

And some excerpts:

“What we were guilty of was naivety. The short version of it all is that we acted upon bad advice from those we thought we had no reason to distrust, and were financially gouged by nearly every institution we dealt with.”

>We are not making excuses
>We are not to blame for any mishaps
>This is everyone else’s fault

But wait for this part here:

“However, an unknown amount of cash was witnessed, on more than one occasion on Sunday, being directly removed by an agent of the stars from our cash box.”

and

“However, when it came to monies, the hands of the stars’ agents were constantly being filled. Whether it be from autographs, auctions, or personally removing T-shirt sale money from the cash box.”

>Accusing agents of theft
>Not keeping any record whatsoever
>Not guarding the cash boxes

You know, I was expecting a huge mea culpa. Saying for instance, that they overestimated the amount of people arriving and hired too many talent, choose the wrong location and made a lot of stupid decisions. Followed by bad management, not keeping track where the cash is flowing and more, but I was not expecting “we were fucked by everyone else” and “the agents just took all the monays”

Seriously those guys shouldn’t even run a lemonade stand. I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it.

Why didn’t they just blame M.A. Larson?

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:42AM EST
Quote

Welp Mysterious Mare Do Well is on, not going to watch it but at least one good thing came from this….Rainbow Dash wig. I think everyone would want a Rainbow Dash wig, it would be the perfect merchandise opportunity. If only someone would get on it and start making them HINT HINT WELOVEFINE HINT HINT

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:32AM EST
Quote

I lay on the ground, but suddenly, I find myself falling with other ponies. I land back in Ponyville, but I see it decay with darkness and hatred as the skies turn red. Where am I?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47AM EST
Quote

@Whitish
In a crazy twist that threatens the very fabric of reality, M. A. Larson is blaming them!

I read their statement last night, too, and you came to the same conclusions that I did.
Yeah, the Riviera probably did do some shady stuff (they’re a freaking Vegas hotel and are apparently known for some underhanded deals), but seriously…
Openly admitting that you did not, nor did you have any system in place to, track any of the money is beyond mere ‘naivety.’
Allowing ‘agents’ to just walk up and take money out of the cash-boxes is… I don’t even know what that is.
I do know that it is not an excuse to say ‘The agents took money so the stars definitely got paid’ like they did, especially considering M. A. Larson’s tweet.
(In fact, I believe that most, if not all, of the writers are freelance, i.e. no agents)

I also have to question their assertion that they didn’t run away.
I posted the video that EFR made showing the total donations being sent out and in that video, Final Draft specifically came out and said that the con management abandoned ship.
He’s usually a pretty diplomatic guy (their first video didn’t go into the issue at all, focusing on helping out over placing blame), but even he couldn’t seem to soften that point.

Basically, while I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they did have obstacles thrown in their way, these guys still failed hard at the basics of organization, accounting, management, and negotiation.
(They didn’t even mention the unauthorized sale of ‘answering machine messages’ from the VAs that people have been reporting. That would probably be a breach of Hasbro’s contract if true.)


@Kewl
Well, there was this picture from that toy fair a few weeks ago:

Looks like you may get to join the Rainbow Dash fanclub someday, too!

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 12:04PM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:02PM EST
Quote

“However, an unknown amount of cash was witnessed, on more than one occasion on Sunday, being directly removed by an agent of the stars from our cash box.”

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 02:38PM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 02:37PM EST
Quote

Say hello to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer is a unicorn but is is still unlikely at this point that she will replace Twilight. She will most likely be a new key character to a new location or event.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:37PM EST
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Say hello to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer is a unicorn but is is still unlikely at this point that she will replace Twilight. She will most likely be a new key character to a new location or event.

Or she will be like most of the other brushable figures and just be a filler to round the cases to have six unique ponies. So far I think only four brushable singles have actually had some sort of appearance: Cheerielee, Blossomforth (whose toy appeared before her appearance in Hurricane Fluttershy), Trixie Lulamoon, and Lyra Heartstrings.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:46PM EST
Quote

@Crazy & Dan
Make your own song. With blackjack and hookers.
(The only reason you weren’t in the song was because I don’t know you well enough… maybe you’d like to change that…)

@Deadparrot
R-record it?! B-but that would mean listening to my own voice!

(I’ll think about it).

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:45PM EST
Quote

Fifths wrote:

You know, I’ve been questioned a couple times why I like Vinyl Scratch so much but not Octavia. Seems kind of counter-intuitive to some people given that I love classical music but want to beat my face in with a brick every time I have the misfortune to hear wubs.

The reason why Octavia never really did it for me I feel is that her personality really doesn’t match classical music, or at least not classical music the way I perceive it. Octavia is portrayed as this prudish stiff whose fancy can only be tickled by things of the most refined and elegant persuasion. mmmmmm yeees. I mean come on, look at this.

Open your eyes bitch, you don’t get extra points for doing it blind.

It makes me so sad that classical music has come to be associated with rich, soul dead WASPs. That’s really not what the music is about. The blues is about singing about your miseries (and fucking), pop is about singing about going to the club with your girlfriend (and fucking), metal is about telling everyone what a hardcore badass mofo you are (and fucking). Classical music is about stretching the musical intellect to the limit in order to express reality in all its detail and glory (and yes, fucking, but not just any fucking, but fucking insofar as it is a monumentous cornerstone of human experience!!!) When I think of classical music, I think of this.

Look at the conductor jumping around like he’s got ants in his pants. Look at that one female singer with tears streaming down her face. That is what a classical musician is to me, someone who experiences new levels of earth shattering experience through music, not some stiff, grey, lifeless pone.

To be fair Octavia wasn’t playing the song in that video you posted. The only times she’s ever played on screen in this show were at the Grand Galloping Gala and the Canterlot Garden party.

Both of which were favorites of the Canterlot elite snob crowd, crowds so boring and lifeless the Princess herself had to invite regular old schmucks from ponyville just to bring SOME life to this event. I’m pretty sure if Octavia showed this much emotion during a show at the Grand Galloping Gala those Canterlot snobs would call her a Rufian and bar her from any other events. I mean hell just look at how they treated Pinkie after the Pony Pokey.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:15PM EST
Quote

That was fun. Really clever lyrics Stunthead.

@Stunthead, Deadparrot, Verbose, Advance, and Random

Hey guys, if you send me a recording of yourselves singing your parts, I can edit them together for you and set them to the backing track I used. Tell me if you’re interested.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 07:09PM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 07:01PM EST
Quote

@fifths
YES! NICE!
Woah guys.. It looks like i missed the funny parts of this thread.

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 07:43PM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 07:32PM EST
Quote

@fifths
That was awesome! I’d send you a recording of me singing my part, but sadly I don’t have any recording equipment.

Also, you’re a very nice singer, are you self taught or did you take classes?
I want to make sweet, passionate love to your voice.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:00PM EST
Quote

A few days ago everyone decided to compile best pony lists, I though that I’d do the same:

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:25PM EST
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

A few days ago everyone decided to compile best pony lists, I though that I’d do the same:

All hail the bucket-queen of the ponies!


@Fifths
Ha, awesome!
I’m not too sure why, but I kind of want to give my part a try…
I’ll have to get back to you.
I’m sure as hell not going to try singing anything when there are other people home, so it might be a while before I get a good opportunity.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:47PM EST
Quote

I kinda want Stunthead to make a KYM version of “True True Friend” to accompany “What My Avatar is Telling Me” It would complete the set, I feel.
I want to have input because it makes me feel important even though I’m not in the song.

Actually, now that I think about it, I’m getting the idea to make an art piece for this song. Hmmmm, maybe I’ll get back to you guys.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:09PM EST
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Say hello to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer is a unicorn but is is still unlikely at this point that she will replace Twilight. She will most likely be a new key character to a new location or event.

This doesn’t make sense.
Why would they introduce a new character so far away from Season 4 without establishing what her place would be in the world of Equestria?

But, what if…
What if the premiere of Season 4 is closer than we think?!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:03PM EST
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

Say hello to Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset Shimmer is a unicorn but is is still unlikely at this point that she will replace Twilight. She will most likely be a new key character to a new location or event.

Twilight Sparkle
Sunset Shimmer
Unicorn.

No matter how much I want to say this is just another random pony there’s just something telling me that this is kinda a….yeah you know what I’m going to say. This just seems a bit too suspicious to me.

looks at the picture of Rainbow Dash wig may not look the best but dear god I’m going to buy that and wear it with pride sometime after I get my hands on one of those hugging Rainbow Dash backpacks.

Say what you will about the Rainbow Dash backpack but I fucking need that, that’s essentially getting a hug (from behind though, that might need some getting used to) from your favorite pone. Would anyone be disliking that backpack if it came in Twilight/Pinkie/Fluttershy/Applejack (not going to say Rarity cause from the looks of it she must be the least liked pony out of all the poni named in this or any other pony thread.)

Last edited Feb 27, 2013 at 11:24PM EST
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:21PM EST
Quote

It’s times like these that I sulk like the one trick pony and idea-moocher that I am.

But lo! I’m actually working on my own little project that, for once, is totally unrelated to animating. I posted about it earlier, but now I’m actually working on my terrible cover of “What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me,” featuring my newfound lack of talent in singing! I should like to point out that I had the idea before Stunthead posted his jaunt, so I am being 100% creative for once.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:25PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b wrote:

not going to say Rarity cause from the looks of it she must be the least liked pony out of all the poni named in this or any other pony thread.

I find your lack of Rarity disturbing. But seriously, Rarity is my second favorite pone, half of us changed our avatars to Rarity for a week, we’ve had several pages in this thread dedicated to Rarity, and most people in this thread (based on the favorite ponies list) seem to like Pinkie the least out of the mane 6, and you think Rarity is least liked in this thread? Bitch, plz.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:41PM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Kewln00b wrote:

not going to say Rarity cause from the looks of it she must be the least liked pony out of all the poni named in this or any other pony thread.

I find your lack of Rarity disturbing. But seriously, Rarity is my second favorite pone, half of us changed our avatars to Rarity for a week, we’ve had several pages in this thread dedicated to Rarity, and most people in this thread (based on the favorite ponies list) seem to like Pinkie the least out of the mane 6, and you think Rarity is least liked in this thread? Bitch, plz.


I’m disappointed in you about how you didn’t realize my obvious attempt at a joke/troll. Tsk tsk.

Anyways, Anyone remember this little event on IMDb?

T’was just a little incident where some trolls wanted everyone to give some MLP G3 movie a 10/10 on IMDb to give it a higher rating. This all happened only a few years before MLP FiM became a huge hit and I always found that to be quite a bit hilarious….considering I voted it a 10/10 as a joke back then not even knowing I’d seriously be giving MLP (Friendship is Magic, not the G3 movie) a 10/10 on IMDb one day. Maybe one day they’ll make a Strawberry Shortcake Show that doesn’t suck just to get back at me for giving those shows so much grief in the past….

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:51PM EST
Quote

Say what you will, Kewln00b, but there’s no denying that Rarity is the [un]official mascot of KYM bronies.

Advance’ current status: Denial.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:04AM EST
Quote

@Fifths

That… was… awesome! Seriously, thank you so much for this! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out!
As for recording my own part… I dunno. I prefer to keep “Stunthead” seperate from “Real life me,” but if everyone else agrees to it I will. Send me a message if you get all the other parts.
@Crimson Locks
I actually did think about writing a “True true friends” parody, but I thought that there really wouldn’t be much to change other than the names and the last verse about pinkie pie, so I chose not to.
Also, I agree that people like you, Fifths, Dan and Crazy probably deserved to be in that song more than I did due to me being “not too huge around here,” but I really just didn’t know enough about what you’re like and what you do and therefore wouldn’t have had anything to write about. There’s always the future, though.
As for making art about my song…

@ExudesAffluence
Good on you! Be sure to post it here when it’s done.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:38AM EST
Quote

Spidervance wrote:

Say what you will, Kewln00b, but there’s no denying that Rarity is the [un]official mascot of KYM bronies.

Advance’ current status: Denial.

She might not have been a couple weeks ago, but she sure is now, thanks to you.


Oh, yeah, the rest of my birthday gifts finally arrived! If you’ll remember, my birthday was, in fact, 13 days ago. Why’d it take so long? Well, one of them was one of the new vinyl figures. My parents ordered one for me and didn’t say which, which I was okay with since I didn’t really have a preference. It was the Doctor! Thankfully it was the solid, not the translucent:

The quality is weird, I don’t know what to think of it. It’s not as flawless as the first run, but at the same time, it seems more polished. These ones are literally more polished, for one (although I really like Rainbow Dash’s matte finish), but there are some flaws, like rough spots and some rough paint jobs on the collar and eyes.

Aw yeah, the gang’s all here.

The second one took awhile because of how long Welovefine took to print it – the Pastry Dash shirt! I don’t know why, but ever since they released the design I’ve had a soft spot for it.

#GPOY #TwIsARealPerson #IgnoreTheRoommateAndTheMess #LongHashtags

It’s a great shirt. I’ve bought three things from them now (this, the Wonderbolts hoodie and the Mailmare messenger bag) and the quality is always superb. I also didn’t realize it, but there’s a little drawing of Dash tearing up the costume on the back, in the bottom right, which is pretty hilarious.

It also helps that Nyan Cat is one of the few “new” memes that never gets old. I realize that makes me sound like an old member here, but… wait, I am. Oh.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:42AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!