Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

chowzburgerz wrote:

Once again, how about a heavy metal episode featuring James Hetfield or Ozzy Osbourne?

Well, The spongebob episode "pre-hibernation week" featured pantera, but It's not at all likely that they would do the same for MLP. Spongebob, in it's prime, was way way more mainstream than MLP, they had adult merchandise everywhere. So it made sense to have an episode with Pantera. MlP? Not so much. Sorry, but it's not likely.

DeadParrot222 said:

@Nathan
Nope, no family that we know of.
Faust confirmed that Scoots is definitely not RD’s sister, though.
Hasbro said that RD’s more ‘rough-and-tumble’ attitude didn’t fit with the sibling relationships that they wanted to show.
Honestly, I like it better that way.
It makes any time they spend together more special because there’s no familial obligation behind it.
They just genuinely like each other!

Really?

Seems a little one-sided if you ask me. As far as I can recall, there's no evidence that Dash even knows what Scootaloo's name is. She just sees her like any other fan.

@Summer Drought

Yeah, it's kinda like that.

Actually, as everyone has already pointed out, we've had plenty of interesting news and fan creations lately to keep me occupied, so I've got no complaints. In fact, the wait is actually kind of nice, because the anticipation of the new episodes makes their release that much sweeter when it finally happens.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 01:19AM EDT

Dac wrote:

Well, The spongebob episode "pre-hibernation week" featured pantera, but It's not at all likely that they would do the same for MLP. Spongebob, in it's prime, was way way more mainstream than MLP, they had adult merchandise everywhere. So it made sense to have an episode with Pantera. MlP? Not so much. Sorry, but it's not likely.

Aw man. How about any rock band? Let's get Muse or something like that.

@Dan
Certainly arguable since I don't believe that RD has ever actually said the word 'Scootaloo' as far as I can remember.
Then again, Dash is pretty fond of nicknames in general.
They definitely have some kind of relationship, though.

I know I'm reading a bit too far into it, but that scene acts as the proverbial 'last straw' for Rainbow Dash in that episode which may partially imply a deeper connection than 'just another fan.'
She's at least a little more important than that.

But this is the main reason I want a Scootaloo episode.
I want to see RD and Scoots actually do something substantial, actually pin down a more specific relationship.
I'm honestly more interested in that than finding out about either of their families (or lack thereof).

So, if the Mane 6 had their own Guitar Hero setlist, what would it be? Rainbow Dash would be punk, Pinkie Pie would be industrial/alternative, Twilight Sparkle would be alternative/modern, Applejack would be southern/classic rock, Rarity would be classic rock, and Fluttershy would be metal.

@DeadParrot

Yeah, that's been the deepest interaction we've seen between them so far, which unfortunately isn't saying a whole lot. Considering how much Scootaloo looks up to Dash, it seems like we have a situation primed and ready for… some kind of story.

Which kind of reminds me, I don't know if any of you have read the Pony POV series, but there was a very interesting entry that made use of their peculiar relationship in an interesting way. If you haven't read that yet, I would recommend them. Many of them are fairly short, but they provide an interesting perspectives of the Discord incident. The parts I'm referring to specifically are here

Discorded Rainbow Dash: Choices
Rainbow Dash: Recovery

You've probably seen them already, but if not, check it out.

This was made for the first one:

By the way, although I haven't read all of Tiny Wings, from what I've seen so far it looks like you handled that element nicely as well. Just thought I'd throw that out there, even though you've probably heard that statement about ten thousand times by now.

@Solaire

Yes, Dash sort of knows her, but we've seen just as much interaction between her and Scoots as between Dash and Applebloom, if not less. And since Dash treats both kids roughly the same, the difference so far is in Scootaloo. For the most part, at least.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 02:51AM EDT

@Connor:

But, yeah, Connor's right in that the image gallery is probably the best place… I'd suggest Top Score, though…

@RD and Scoots relationship:

Scoots is a psychopathic demon from an ancient dimension trying to pass as an adorable filly so she can sap the souls of everypony. Rainbow Dash's soul is particularly valuable because she pulled off the Sonic Rainboom, which distorted the laws of physics. Well, RD did show up when the CMC finished their music deal, along with Rarity, Applejack, and Twilight. So, it's likely she knows about Scoots the same way she knows about Applebloom and all that. I don't think she doesn't know Scoots exists.

@Zar:

Come on, Zar…

He'd do a lot more than just sap that.

@Chow:

Rainbow Dash would have power metal, Pinkie would have Andrew W.K. as far as the eye can see along with Weird Al and nothing else, Twilight would have orchestral music, Rarity would have pop, Fluttershy would have screamo, speed metal, and death metal hippy rock (think 'America' and bands like that), and Applejack would be cursing the music of the devil for corrupting her friends have Johnny Cash, the Soggy Bottom Boys, and country that doesn't suck ass.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Aw man. How about any rock band? Let's get Muse or something like that.

There are very few things Daniel Ingram & Steffan Andrews can't handle, including rock.

The only time I think they'd ever outsource the music is if either DJ P0n-3 gets an episode (I'm not sure how familiar Daniel and Steffan are with EDM, my guess is that they arn't- course I could be suprised) are or if a celebrity musician like Weird Al or Jemaine Clement voices a character. Other than that I don't really see that happening.

Memelord wrote:

youtube comment are just full of trolls and stupid people and when you you are on a brony video
god help you, there the underbelley show there pretty funny

Excuse me folks. If I may interrupt the current topic just to reply to this

[WARNING: RANT AHEAD]

Sorry for bringing back an old topic from the last page, but I just wanted to point out that I was not so much venting my frustration about YouTube comments. It's pretty understandable that YT will always be YT and idiotic comments are to be expected nor prevented.

Really I was venting about people who come to Bronies and whine about how other Bronies have made their life a living hell via spamming ponies on the internet or being too overzealous.

Now I can accept that viewpoint. There is no denying that there are zealous Bronies and they are without a doubt a nuisance. I can understand that seeing too much of something you are not interested in, makes that thing annoying.

Most Bronies understand this as well and when said complainers show up in the article comment section and share their horror stories, the community listens to them. Some upvote the whiner, some even apologize.

If I need to, I do this as well…or just say nothing…But there is something I still don't understand and don't accept. Why do they keep telling me about their problems in every topic involving Bronies? Why is it that in just a video about a guy going to Bronycon, people insist on derailing the topic about their own Brony-related #firstworldproblems? Why do people whine to me about their unrelated grievances in every Brony related article? It's as bad as spamming ponies everywhere in the first place

As much as I tolerate people who do this, something still annoys me about people who come to me and complain about "ponies everywhere"….something just makes me want to rudely post "STFU" with no further context (I wont actually do this)

I'll give you a hint. These people think they sound like this:

I don't have a problem with MLP but I have a problem with Bronies in that they feel the need to post ponies in every single article I browse. This is tiresome, immature and unfunny. These people need to realize that not everyone likes ponies and they need to stop shoving it down my face

But this is what they sound like to me:

BOOHOHOHOHOOOOOOO! WAAAAAAAAAAH! THERE ARE THINGS I DONT LIKE ON THE INTERNET BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB LIFE IS SO HARD UHUUHUHUHUHUUUUU UWUBLUBLUBUB UHUUUUUUUU WAAAAH!

TL;DR: Constantly complaining over ponies in unrelated topics is as sad as constantly spamming them in unrelated topics. And that's my rant for today. You may now return the current topic.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 03:06AM EDT

@Scootaloo

Rainbow Dash isn't one to turn down adoration; a. she's the element of loyalty and b. she's a cocky sonofabitch. Seeing as she's driven by the desire to have her name known as the most awesomest and fastest flier-y pony in all of Equestria, and seeing as she's not very close to achieving that (the Best Young Fliers competition didn't seem to have any impact on anything. The Wonderbolts barely remembered her) I feel like she'd be willing to take what she can get now and run with it.

@Music

Applejack listens to the kind of music that plays Satanic messages when reversed. That is all.

@Dan
Yeah, something needs to happen there, and I'm highly confident we'll see it happen in some form in season three.
I don't see any possible way that they miss her again.
I'd love to see something that plays off of the somewhat mirrored personalities that they share: Scoots is to RD as RD is to the Wonderbolts.

Really, I'll likely be happy with whatever direction they take it.

And, yes, Tiny Wings, while obviously focused primarily on Scootaloo, contains a lot of my personal thoughts on her potential relationship with RD.
I don't know how far you got (though I hope you'll be able to finish eventually) but, in a way, RD learns a considerable amount, as well, and reaches a better character place by the end.

As for the POV series, I actually haven't read those.
I was writing Tiny Wings between December and April and intentionally stopped reading other fics to avoid accidentally stealing from other people.
After taking such a long break, I've had a tough time getting back into reading, truth be told.
I've generated such a massive backlog that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to sift through!
I'll give those a try!

@BSoD
Right on!
If I can make an appropriate analogy, I see very similar behavior from large groups of people whenever the topic of homosexuality is broached.
Those against gay marriage frequently talk about how gay people are always 'shoving their lifestyle in their faces,' typically citing things like gay pride parades as if every single gay person acts like the most flamboyant of them.
Unfortunately, too many people would rather boil others down into extremely simplistic categories and labels than actually think about individuals.
Our world is way too complex for that attitude to carry much weight, but it will always happen because people are lazy.

In addition, I've never understood this idea that some people seem to have where they think they have some right to not see something just because they don't like it.
Again using gay people, they'll say 'I don't care what they do, I just shouldn't have to see it.'
This was a major component of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.
It's just stupid and juvenile.
Guess what, people?
Things that you don't like? They exist!
That will never change, so no matter what, you will eventually run into it.
Get over your own self-entitled ego and learn to simply live and let live.
If your psyche is so fragile that the mere mention of a topic throws you into a rage, the problem lies with you and no one else.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Excuse me folks. If I may interrupt the current topic just to reply to this

[WARNING: RANT AHEAD]

Sorry for bringing back an old topic from the last page, but I just wanted to point out that I was not so much venting my frustration about YouTube comments. It's pretty understandable that YT will always be YT and idiotic comments are to be expected nor prevented.

Really I was venting about people who come to Bronies and whine about how other Bronies have made their life a living hell via spamming ponies on the internet or being too overzealous.

Now I can accept that viewpoint. There is no denying that there are zealous Bronies and they are without a doubt a nuisance. I can understand that seeing too much of something you are not interested in, makes that thing annoying.

Most Bronies understand this as well and when said complainers show up in the article comment section and share their horror stories, the community listens to them. Some upvote the whiner, some even apologize.

If I need to, I do this as well…or just say nothing…But there is something I still don't understand and don't accept. Why do they keep telling me about their problems in every topic involving Bronies? Why is it that in just a video about a guy going to Bronycon, people insist on derailing the topic about their own Brony-related #firstworldproblems? Why do people whine to me about their unrelated grievances in every Brony related article? It's as bad as spamming ponies everywhere in the first place

As much as I tolerate people who do this, something still annoys me about people who come to me and complain about "ponies everywhere"….something just makes me want to rudely post "STFU" with no further context (I wont actually do this)

I'll give you a hint. These people think they sound like this:

I don't have a problem with MLP but I have a problem with Bronies in that they feel the need to post ponies in every single article I browse. This is tiresome, immature and unfunny. These people need to realize that not everyone likes ponies and they need to stop shoving it down my face

But this is what they sound like to me:

BOOHOHOHOHOOOOOOO! WAAAAAAAAAAH! THERE ARE THINGS I DONT LIKE ON THE INTERNET BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB LIFE IS SO HARD UHUUHUHUHUHUUUUU UWUBLUBLUBUB UHUUUUUUUU WAAAAH!

TL;DR: Constantly complaining over ponies in unrelated topics is as sad as constantly spamming them in unrelated topics. And that's my rant for today. You may now return the current topic.

Well LA DE FREAKIN DA Look what we got here
Try being into furry and MLP better yet start a furry thread and then tell me your woes about internet trolls.

P.S. just kidding with ya

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 03:43AM EDT

ooooooooooooooo….a NEW THREAD!!!

also, i wholeheartedly agree with what BSoD said. and shoving whatever you're proud of down people's throats is gonna do a whole lot more damage than good. reminds me of the people here in my country who would scream "PINOY PRIDE! HURR" whenever something or someone who has our blood or comes from our side of the pond is recognized or something.makes us look obnoxious and stuff.

but that's another topic altogether.

so…here.

well, back to lurking.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 04:11AM EDT

Hay guise. This time around I've got something else to share with you, and not art like usual.

I just finished reading the newest Pelaaja magazine, which is a finnish gaming magazine, and after I put it down, I checked out the spine/binding. They usually add some random bits, funny stuff, and inside jokes there, so I rarely get them all. But this time around, there was an exception.

That text translates to "Piece of cloud, feather of a pegasus, and the shine of a rainbow."

Honestly, I've gotta say that I lol'd, and I'm pretty damn sure that you know what that's referencing.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 06:07AM EDT

@Handling the drought

Can't say it's been problematic in the least. There's enough new fan-generated content made daily to quench the thirst of even the most enthusiastic brony, so a lazy second-rate wannabe zealot like yours truly can't even keep up with the bandwagon these days. Especially since I've also been working through a rather impressive backlog of various games, shows and other such things, since I won't be able to do so again for quite a while.

See, here in Finland we've got a little thing called "universal male conscription", which means that every fucker lucky enough to be born with a phallus gets to trudge around in the mud and rain for 6-12 months, playing at being soldiers. As you might have guessed, my stint in the armed forces begins tomorrow.

This, of course, means you'll be seeing less of me around here. Now, I'm not exactly the most prolific of posters, but I thought I might as well give you a heads up: I'll be completely out for at least two weeks, and after that I'll only get the weekends off. Chances are I'll usually be too exhausted to stay up late, so my presence here will drop to almost zilch. Not that most folks will even notice, what with me already being such a lurker.

@Brownmane, the Asevelvollinen

MFW I find out that there's been another finn posting on the KYM Brony Pony General for this whole time without me knowing about it.

And as a frindly little encouragement, I will say this.

"Hajoa aamuihis."

Have fun in the "intti", and remember that if you're gonna be there for only half a year, the endwar's going to be in the dead of winter. Enjoy running/skiing around with your assault rifle in the -25 degrees below celcius weather for a week, surrounded by nothing but ice, snow, and pinetrees, and with three hours of sleep per night (if you can actually sleep in the frostiness).

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 07:31AM EDT

@Brownmane

Well good luck with the armed forces. Just make sure you come back in one piece because I like your posts.

@The episode drought

So far I think the fandom has handled this pretty well. There's been no sign at all that people have slowed down when it comes to making their own content.

You know if the fandom is capable of self-sustaining itself at this rate, in the future when FiM disappears the fandom could very well fill it's gap by itself.

And besides we always have the trolls to keep us company. They are pretty fun to play with. I've decided to a game with the idiot in the MLP comment section right now. The game is called "Make him rant"

The poster that baits the troll into writing the biggest rant wins.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Brownmane

Well good luck with the armed forces. Just make sure you come back in one piece because I like your posts.

@The episode drought

So far I think the fandom has handled this pretty well. There's been no sign at all that people have slowed down when it comes to making their own content.

You know if the fandom is capable of self-sustaining itself at this rate, in the future when FiM disappears the fandom could very well fill it's gap by itself.

And besides we always have the trolls to keep us company. They are pretty fun to play with. I've decided to a game with the idiot in the MLP comment section right now. The game is called "Make him rant"

The poster that baits the troll into writing the biggest rant wins.

Nice. Can anyone play?

@Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo relationship

Are we talking about best pony?

>Showed up to cmc performance
>Didn't ridicule the fuck out of it

Ya, I'd say there's something there.

@Brownmane

You know what sucks the most about that? It's not even like the whole army thing can be used for some kind of social standing like it is here. It's not like you can say "Oh ya, I was in the army." To impress the girls our intimidate the guys because EVERYONE was in the army.

Oh well, I'd say that you can try to pretend that you're being like one of your viking ancestors, but I doubt it will be nearly that cool. Good English by the way, I would never have guessed it wasn't your native language.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 10:23AM EDT

chowzburgerz wrote:

So, if the Mane 6 had their own Guitar Hero setlist, what would it be? Rainbow Dash would be punk, Pinkie Pie would be industrial/alternative, Twilight Sparkle would be alternative/modern, Applejack would be southern/classic rock, Rarity would be classic rock, and Fluttershy would be metal.

You may want to expand your concept of available musical genres past rock. But then again, you're talking Guitar Hero, and I know little about the game.

I think the only ponies that could be expected to enjoy rock might be Rainbow Dash (confirmed to an extent in Sonic Rainboom,) and maybe Twilight (just because she really seems to, um, rock out when she dances.)

If Pinkie had rock of some sort, then I would think something along the lines of being silly and happy. Think Bowling for Soup or a very happy JPop/Rock fusion thing. Otherwise, I think Pinkie would just call it noise. AJ and Southern Rock would be a good call, even though I think that she'd probably appreciate bluegrass (and if you've heard of the technical complexity of bluegrass songs, you know that playing those on "Easy" would still be hard.)

I couldn't even start with Rarity or Fluttershy.

@Buttered Ed

I prefer Ponibooru and Derpibooru.

Ponibooru isn't something you should get used to. It's going black sometime in the next couple of months. But it has a favoriting system. If you've got the time, go through the images and pick out the ones you like (and then save them elsewhere.) To make that easier, you may want to search for images under certain tags. Like John Joseco or Rarity

Derpibooru is a much faster site (and much better moderated…and much more respectful of artists' requests…and much better organized in terms of tags…), but since it's relatively new to being popular, it doesn't have the amount of images that Ponibooru has/had.

There's also Twentypercentcooler, which I like as well, but it only has art (not a bad thing. They are also respectful of artists' wishes.)

For any of the sites, I'd just suggest picking out some tags you like and searching. You'll probably come across images with other tags you'd like to see. And then from there, it's like Wikipedia or TvTropes. If you like images as much as I do, then you'll burn a couple of hours browsing just like that.

@Youtube commenters and all that jazz:

I agree that showing anything down somebody's throats is bad. Which is why the youtube comments hating on MLP piss me off. They're being hypocritical in that they're going to a brony video (actively seeking it out, no less), so they can shove their opinions down the throats of bronies, by saying bronies do that. Not only do very few bronies do that (I've only met one, to a ratio of about a hundred normal bronies), but hypocrisy only makes the crime even worse and more annoying. It's part of what irks me about Nair. Even though he's a good user, fairly smart, and can pose good arguments when he wants to, he hates bronies for supposedly doing something he does constantly. I have never seen a brony spam ponies outside of the PG thread, yet he constantly spams stuff he likes, while saying bronies are terrible because they spam stuff they like.

It's really not a big deal, and I just tend to ignore it or screw with the person flipping their shit, but it is a bit grating after a while.

@Muumi:

Alright, if Finland falls into chaos, I'll know what gaming magazine to blame.

@Brownmane:

Well, that kind of sucks. But, look on the bright side:

1. You can tell people you were in the military to look bad-ass.
2. You get training to actually be bad-ass.
3. Forge new bonds with your brothers in arms.
4. You can listen to this while in boot camp or whatever:

I don't think Finland is engaged in any wars, but I still hope you stay safe, because your posts are usually pretty good.

Of course, if you do enter a conflict, I'd suggest talking about your sexual perversions at the person. It'd be more effective than a rifle.

@revolver:

Pretty old, if I remember right, let me list my responses to each:

1. Likely, considering we have several already, such as SSCS6k, all the CMC episodes, etc.
2. Possible, but we should widen it to more than just one city, because there are many.
3. Possible, but only if there's a reason that really demands it. It also might make for a lack of a lesson if the solution is violence…
4. Kind of possible, as said on an earlier page.
5. On the fence about this, as these types of episodes are usually extremely corny and predictable. Studio B could probably do it very well, but it's still an old trope that's kind of tired.
6. Not likely in any way, if the Last Roundup deal is any indication. She will, of course, make appearances, but a Derpy episode is highly unlikely, less than any other background pony. It should probably be widened to 'background pony episode', which is still unlikely.
7. Very possible, going by the history episode in Season 2. It would possibly be a bit better to just say 'more history of Equestria revealed', because it would likely entail that while being broader.
8. Again, it's possible, since we had one in early Season 2. Then again, Studio B might think giving her minor roles in several episodes would be better, as she already had a major role in one.
9. Nope nope nope. This is very unlikely, wouldn't really fit the show, and all of that. I admit, it is slightly (that's a big slightly) possible, given the shows current track record, and it could teach a good lesson, but it's not anywhere near likely.
10. YES! YES! From the evidence in Season 2, with Sweetie getting her own episode, this is more than likely.
11. Possible, I guess, but I think it'd likely include RD to some extent. It could be done fairly well.
12. Same as the Gilda deal, outlined on an earlier page.
13. Was there ever any doubt?
14. Not very likely, in my opinion. She only becomes that when she's sad, and she's only sad when her friends aren't her friends. She learned her lesson though, and likely won't have a breakdown again. Also, Pinkamena isn't the insane killer, or shouldn't be. She's depressed Pinkie. I imagine insane Pinkie would be fucking ecstatic.
15. Not likely, as Studio B would be kicking every shipper in the nuts mercilessly, and they would know it. It would also screw with the friendship of the Mane Six and muddle the plot a bit. While it could teach lessons about relationships, the royal couple is already here to do that.
16. I would jizz all over the place. It's about on the same level as Luna-centered episode, if not higher, as Celestia has yet to truly have an episode featuring solely her, while having the several minor appearances I mentioned.
17. Mentioned on number 7, in that it is likely. Maybe not a flashback, but possibly another explanation of it, like the play. This could also allow the last one (Discord), which I'll get to.
18. Extremely likely, as they played a very major role, are related to the protagonist, are friends with the mane characters, and have a lot of importance. As mentioned above, they could also teach lessons about relationships.
19. Like I said earlier in number 6, this is more likely than a Derpy episode, but not exactly likely. Speaking roles and things like that are always possible, but a whole episode is not something to bet one.
20. Going by the current track record, this is more than likely. Both Season 1 and 2 had us learn lots about her, so it's safe to say that trend will continue.
21. Likely, to present conflict and a good plot for an episode.
22. Is it even necessary to ask this? You can only have one free space per card, guys.
23. Possible, I'd say, and it'd be a nice way to bring Pipsqueak back. The optimist in me says that they might actually invite another blank-flank into the CMC, but the logic deep down says that isn't a guarantee, and not extremely likely.
24. Shoo-be-do, shoo-shoo-be-do. Possible, I guess, but not very likely. I think it was hinted at that they were just a myth, but I guess you can't entirely dismiss it.
25. Not likely if he breaks free, and it'd be ridiculous, but like I said earlier, it'd be likely if it was a flashback or history episode.

TL;DR: I over-analyze shit that doesn't matter because fuck if I care.

@revolver
Well I don't remember where I found the source, but from what i recall the first episode of season 3 is supposed to be centered around zecora or something…

I'm pretty sure we'll see cadence and shining armor again, I'm 80% sure we'll have another villain, if not atleast an antagonist like trixie or gilda, there's a source that says a partnership between chrysalis and discord in one episode, and if they don't have an episode that atleast lets us know about scootaloo's family, then I'm curious to what they think is more needed right now then clarity about scootaloo. I can speak for most of us, including Deadparrot, that scootaloo urgently needs an episode. Let's see what else is on that board…. hmmm….

Ok forget what I just said, WE MUST HAVE A DERPY CENTERED EPISODE.

Also, I'd like an episode with a character voiced by Gilbert Gottfried, you know, for the lolz
If you don't know who he is, you should gtfo look at this video.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 02:32PM EDT

@revolverdrake

Well, Hasbro did say in a rather roundabout way that the sea-ponies may make an appearance:

"No Sea Pony plans, but the toy line takes cues from FiM show."

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/07/mlp-fair-hasbro-q-panel.html#more

@Solaire: I don't get what's so hard to believe about Discord coming back, aside from being a fan favorite I'm sure John De Lancie would jump at the chance to voice more Discord (if he hasn't already, based on some hints he's dropped).

Besides, it was never really established how Discord broke out the first time, who's to say he can't do it again, possibly even with the help of another villain.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

@Solaire: I don't get what's so hard to believe about Discord coming back, aside from being a fan favorite I'm sure John De Lancie would jump at the chance to voice more Discord (if he hasn't already, based on some hints he's dropped).

Besides, it was never really established how Discord broke out the first time, who's to say he can't do it again, possibly even with the help of another villain.

@Mega
I believe your evidence for Zecora's episode would be this:

Not necessarily the first episode of the season (actually that would be really weird if it were), but she'll certainly have a 'large role' somewhere along the line.

As for Cadance returning,did people see this?

People played around with one of Tara's 'fake spoiler' tweets and may have found a real one.
It's rather hard to see (though I'm partially color-blind, so maybe it's just me), but you can clearly see 'Cadance' just under 'No I' bleeding in from the next page.
Sounds like she'll be there at least once.

No Scootaloo episode was literally my only disappointment with season three, so I can't possibly imagine it happening again.
She'll get her time.

Background pony episode is unlikely.
The studio has directly said that they like leaving those guys to the fans for the most part.
My question? How many new voices will Bonbon get?
She had two in season one and three more in season two.
The fact that that has happened only with that specific character design implies that it is probably an intentional animator in-joke and I'd love to see how long they can carry it.

Gilbert Gottfried would be pretty damn funny!
For cartoon enthusiasts, recall that he did a great job as Iago (sp?), the parrot in Aladdin.

@Gigatoast
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at how many people thought that was serious…
So many people don't know Jurassic Park, apparently.

As for Discord, I don't think anyone is saying that Discord returning is unlikely for those reasons.
Obviously, John De Lancie seems like he would love to come back and reprise his role now that he knows about our little fanbase.
What Solaire is saying is that just having Discord break out of his statue again might be… redundant.
What would he do differently if he broke free again?
Another episode like that would certainly be possible, but they'd need him to do something very different from his first appearance.
That's why I'm hoping for a 'history' or 'flashback' episode to his old reign when Celestia and Luna overthrew his.
That would allow for a solid Celestia/Luna episode while still allowing him to return.
Whatever the case, he is definitely coming back in some form.
First question (this was filmed in April):

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 04:12PM EDT

Solaire wrote:

2. Possible, but we should widen it to more than just one city, because there are many.

(In response to the possiblity of a Manehattan appearance)

What you're forgetting though is that they specifically asked on Facebook where Shining Armor's and Cadence's honeymoon would be, and Manehattan was the winner (I was rooting for Saddle Arabia). I don't think they would have left such a question to the audience unless they actually planned on doing something with it. Granted, it might just be a toy line, but still.

Continuing discussion of Revolver's pic:

Derpy-centered episode: Hell no. Including Derpy the first time was a stretch as-is, and we all know how that turned out. I doubt they would take such a leap again, let alone give her an episode of her own.

Return of Discord: I doubt Discord will return, but it isn't impossible. It'd just be a stretch to put him in again after they sealed him the last time. And personally, I'd prefer a new villain. Heck, I'd be fine with no villain at all and for them to try something unexpected.

New main villain: I would expect that if they approach the usual season-opening route, then yes, they would.

Special somepony:

Not likely, as Studio B would be kicking every shipper in the nuts mercilessly, and they would know it. It would also screw with the friendship of the Mane Six and muddle the plot a bit.

Studio B has pretty much ignored the fandom's ships and fannons in the past. Just take a look at Hearts and Hooves. For that, I'm glad. The main focus of Studio B should be appealing primarily to young girls. As the unintended audience, we don't have the right to swoop in and control where the show goes.

As for the possibility, I don't think it is entirely impossible. Of course there was H&H-day, but you also can't forget about Spike's crush on Rarity or Rarity's former crush on Blueblood. Though I'm not sure if it would involve the Mane 6, as they have to be pretty delicate with their personalities, and that is sort of a leap.

Alicorn or Equestrian history ep: Nope. Little girls don't really care about Equestria's history, and I imagine it might bore them. Of course, I'm no expert when it comes to children, but still.

And I'm stopping there. I don't think people want to read a lengthy speculation on all 25 points, nor do I feel like writing one.

@Pony drought

I'm doing fairly well. I think I was lucky to have missed the first one, as I didn't have to endure a wait previously. Hell, I hardly had to wait a month for my favorite ep (Read it and Weep) to come out.

But I'm not having any problems. Nor do I seem to have an incredible hype for the next season. I'm being pretty patient.

@Muffins:

I just said to broaden the spectrum for the cities so it was more likely to happen. Saying one specific city when there are several that are confirmed is just narrowing it down a bit too much.

As for the point on H&H Day, it's totally moot, as it was the CMC using a love potion. At the end of it, all that happened was Big Mac and Cheerilee screwing with the CMC, in my opinion. It was fairly clear they weren't still in a relationship, if I remember correctly. As for Spike's crush on Rarity, that was established in the very first episode, when nobody knew that the fandom would be largely adult males that would ship constantly. Rarity's crush was an entire different story, as she was just looking for her Prince Charming, not specifically Blueblood. It turned out he was a dick, so the whole thing went up in flames.

Anyways, if we're talking about big-name actors voicing characters…

-Wes Johnson for the guards (stop right there, criminal scum!)
-Morgan Freeman or Ian McKellen (you shall not pass!) for Starswirl the Bearded
-Gilbert Gottfried for Scootaloo's dad, or RD's dad, whichever one works
-R. Lee Ermey for Fluttershy's dad
-Jack Black for the new villain
-Nicolas Cage for everybody

Warning: Don't go to MLP image gallery. There's IRL horses and… and…. NSFW….. I feel traumatized….
If a mod is seeing this, please clear out the NSFW soon…

Edit: Nevermind, they cleared out fast
As for human villain in MLP, it doesn't seem fitting…

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 05:32PM EDT

@Mega
Aaaaaand, they're already gone.
Just throw a PM to one of the mods when you see it (RandomMan is usually a good choice) and it gets taken care of at blistering speeds.
The same couple of trolls pull this crap every once in a while and they're extremely lucky to every get even twenty minutes before deletion.
It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Click this link if you need some CMC cuteness-overload brain bleech: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
(I've seriously had this looping for about ten minutes now. I can't stop… Help…)

@Season 3 Bingo (Put this in bullets so you know what I'm commenting on and if the rest of you want to follow suit)

Also, I haven't read Solaire's comments on it to keep my opinions uniquely my own. But I'm probably going to agree with much of his opinions.

• A secondary pony plays a major role: Like a Twist, Mayor Mare, or the Cakes? Most certainly. That's been happening ever since the beginning of the series. Nightmare Moon, Gilda, Trixie, Photo Finish, Fancy Pants, Prince Blueblood, Princess Celestia, Luna… Otherwise, any major role would have to go to one of the mane characters (i.e. the mane 6, the CMC, and Spike) for any major role. If they held to that, then the writers really would run out of material pretty soon. Sure, the episode may not be focused on them (e.g., the Cakes in Baby Cakes) but I fully expect other secondary characters to play a major role in at least a few episodes.
  • A present day visit to Manehattan: If this were extended to say "visit to another major city," then I'd be more likely to say yes. This is pretty specific though. There are plenty of other cities that have been referenced in Equestria, and even though Manehattan is probably one of the more prominent ones, it doesn't mean that an episode will end up there. Most of the action outside of Ponyville happens in the Everfree Forest or in Canterlot. And when the mane 6 did leave Ponyville for somewhere, it was Appleloosa in Over a Barrel and Dodge in The Last Roundup (if I remember the name correctly.) Those were both cities we hadn't heard of before their respective episodes. I don't think it's unlikely, but I don't think it's very likely either.
  • Celestia shows her max power and is super effective: She's kinda already done that as well. The first moment that comes to mind is in Lesson Zero where she dispelled Twilight spell with little effort. Also, she generally does what she wants at will. Now, if you're talking about Celestia beating up a bad guy, then statistically, I think that's unlikely. Most episodes don't focus on a threat that requires help from the Royal Sisters, and it's not like they'll whip out their powers for no good reason (and we know Luna don't give a crap.)
  • Gilda returns: I'd say that Trixie returning would be more likely through Word of God and the fact that Trixie Lulamoon is a thing.
  • Body swap episode: Yes, please! I don't know how likely that would be, but it's a standard trope for light-hearted, fantasy shows, and seeing any of the mane six be one of the other mane six would be hilarious. I know it.
  • A Derpy-centered episode: Ha no. The Last Rounderp didn't go over so well, so I don't think they'll want to push than envelope for a while. So for one, they'll probably stay away from giving Derpy and obvious, fanon personality traits again. And two, it would be inconsistent to portray her for an entire episode as being clumsy or a bit ditsy. The voice in the edited version was just kinda hacked in. It was nowhere near the quality of voice acting we've come to expect and love from FiM. If they use that, then the episode focused around a character with that voice acting (with that level of skill) will probably be very annoying. If they ask Tabitha to tweak Derpy's voice so that it is not so deep or quite as slow (Tabitha St. Germain, just like all of the roles in FiM, voiced the first version of Derpy, and she thought Derpy was a male.), then it would be inconsistent. But mostly for the first reason, I don't think DHX will try that any time soon. I'm sure Tabitha could combine the edited voice and her original voice and get something that's consistent enough.
  • The origin of the alicorns explained: If it's done, then it would be a brief mention and nothing in great detail. I don't see why an entire episode on a moral-based cartoon would go into that much backstory unless they were able to show how sisters (and friends) can get into epic fights and still come to be friendly again. So if that were to happen I would think (but mostly hope) that it would be a story from Celestia/Luna to some youngsters (e.g., the Cutie Mark Crusaders get into a fight and one of the Royal Sisters happen to be nearby.) Then the Royal Sister begins a tale abou how her and the other Sister were young and what happened when they fought. I don't think they'd bring up the Banishment, but it depends on what they writers would want. It could either be about the events leading up to when Celestia banished her sister and how they became friendly with each other again or it could be of a fight they had when they were "fillies." Wouldn't that be cute? You could see Woona again.
  • A Luna-centered episode: I kinda doubt it. She already had one, and I can't think of a Celestia-centered one off of the top of my head. But then again, Apple Bloom has had more than one episode focused around her (Call of the Cutie and Cutie Pox), and Scootaloo hasn't had one yet. I think it's more likely that she's being incorporated into more episodes. I think I remember reading from Lauren Faust that Luna (and Zecora) were to play a mentor role to Twilight just as much as Celestia did. If that's still the case with Jayson Thiessen, then perhaps we might see those relationships begin to bud. I don't really care much for Zecora (they rhyming gets annoying to me,) but I'd like to see what information Luna has for Twilight. I know she's got her own wisdom, and I'd like to see how that differs from Celestia's.
  • About death or terminal illness: Probably not. Not directly. The episodes have always had a happy ending. I don't even think there's been a bittersweet ending yet. If you have something as heavy as terminal illnesses or death, then there's no easy 22-minute way to spin that. Also, think about all of the shows on The Hub. I don't think there's any show that would touch an issue like that (I've only seen one episode of Dan Vs., so maybe Transformers could. I know Strawberry Shortcake and the Care Bears ain't trying to pull that.) Having an episode about something so dark would be entirely unexpected, even considering the twisted, imaginary friend scene in and the sad parts of Party of One or the zany craziness of Twilight in Lesson Zero. I don't think they'll want to try that unless 1) The show gets to be The show for young girls and it begins to carry so much weight socially that it can "get away with" offering potentially controversial social commentary and 2) the show goes on long enough to gain that sort of weight. I think a show like FiM would need to be on for 5 or 6 wildly successful seasons consecutively in the mainstream, target market. And considering that all of the ratings I've seen have only been in reference to The Hub's standards and not comparing it to Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, I wonder if FiM has had one wildly successful season yet.
Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT
  • Scootaloo episode without the CMC: Not too likely. I think that there's a good chance that an episode would focus on Scootaloo, but I doubt that neither Apple Bloom nor Sweetie Belle wouldn't show up at some point. But yeah, if there isn't a Scootaloo-centered episode in Season 3, then I'm going to begin to wonder. Scootaloo seems to be a popular character (at least among bronies), and I don't see why the target demographic wouldn't like her less than Apple Bloom who is just as tomboyish _as Apple Bloom. If she doesn't have an episode, then I'm going to think that Scootaloo has something pretty serious as a backstory: Something that the writers agree to keep canon, but don't want to write an episode for yet. It may be a death among the parents, she may be adopted, or something. I wouldn't see any other reason for Scootaloo to continue to be neglected in comparison to the other CMC.
  • Wonderbolt episode: I don't think it's all that likely. There's a chance that the writers "kill two/multiple birds with one stone" here. Imagine Scootaloo registering for a drawing to spend a day with the Wonderbolts and she gets to bring a guest. Of course, she brings Rainbow Dash. Friends be all jelly donuts at this. Friendship moral at the end about not becoming jelly donuts. Anyway, Dash and Scoots have fun with the Wonderbolts, Soarin' eats pie, mess is cool. Suddenly, ceiling alligators. Dash goes to save the day. Can't. Wonderbolts are preoccupied. Here comes Scoots. Learns to fly or something. Saves everyone. Gets cutie mark. That's how it's going down. Mark it in your calendars.
  • * Pinkamena returns:* Nope. I think that was a one-hit thing. She's been very sad since then, but she hasn't gone any crazier than what she already is. I don't think that DHX will try to pull at the audience's heartstrings in the same way again (i.e. her being sad because her friends don't like her parties or don't want to have fun with her,) so if we feel for Pinkie again, then I think it would be for other reasons. Those other reasons probably wouldn't threaten her sense of self (i.e. her ability to make people happy), so I don't think we'll see straight hair…from her as an adult mare, anyway. I fully expect there to be a flashback episode with some of the mane six as fillies again. Maybe not in this season, but before the show ends. Then again, I'm sure the writers will have some episode ideas left on the table when the show does end, so maybe not.
  • One of the mane 6 has a very special somepony: Not for long. I think that it's likely that the issue of romance getting ahead of friendship will be addressed in the show at some point, but I don't think it would be something the show would focus on over the course of the series. So for example, I could see Rarity (more than any other pony) getting involved with a stallion and beginning to neglect her friends. However, I'm sure that the relationship would end before the episode does. I remember someone on the show saying that the episodes needed to be mostly episodic and not based heavily on the understanding of an arc. I don't think that kids would be turned off by arc-based events (e.g., many anime we saw in the US were arc-based, and I made sure to watch every single episode that I could of my favorites.) I don't think something like a consistent boyfriend or girlfriend would be part of the show unless Hasbro and DHX decided to change the approach of the show entirely. Remember: the episodes are sold individually on iTunes and in stray, unrelated episodes in North America. Now, if you do begin to see arc-based seasons or strings of episodes consecutively, then that could also mean that DVDs might be sold to contain that arc as well. Anyway, I don't think we'll see that, but it's not terribly unlikely.
  • A Celestia-centered episode: Maybe? I'd like to see Celestia. I think Lauren Faust once said that she left some of the aspects of the Princess a mystery to herself. Of course, Jayson and the current writers might have filled in those gaps. I think it's actually less likely than seeing another Luna episode, in part because Celestia has gotten a lot of airtime compared to her sister, and Luna is a more popular character (again, at least in the brony fandom.)
  • Flashback episode for more about Equestria's history: I think that Hearths Warming Eve was the last one we'd see for a while. I think (and almost prefer) history to be revealed in current happenings of the show. Think about Star Swirl the Bearded. We know he was an important magician in Equestria's history (he has his own wing in the archives in Canterlot,) and Twilight holds him in high regard. I'd prefer to hear about other people in passing mentions like that. And unless you can incorporate the mane six into the history (like in Hearths Warming Even,) then it may be difficult to create new and entertaining personalities and an entertaining story from what is practically an entirely different world (within the same universe).
  • The return of the "Royal Couple": I don't see much reason for it. For one, Cadance was purely something from Hasbro. I don't think Shining Armor and Cadance were in Lauren Faust's creation of Equestria. As such, I don't know if the writers like the two enough to include them any more than they have to. It didn't really show in the last two episodes of Season 2 in my opinion. So as long as they don't have executive orders from Hasbro, then I'd think that they'd just stick to that "show bible" I've heard about once or twice.
  • A background pony plays a major role: Wouldn't that make them a secondary character? Well, if you're talking about a previous background character coming up to play a major role in an episode, then I think Derpy was the closest (and is the closest) we'll see to that. I think that if DHX wanted there to be a character to play a role in an episode, then they would create that character to fit that role. Besides, bronies already have a fandom for many of the background ponies. Imaging the chaos if a background character was given a canon personality entirely different from what we created (keep in mind that people freaked out about a background pony having a slightly different eye color than what we made up.)
  • We find out more about Zecora: I don't think so? I get the feeling as if Zecora is mostly a brony interest more than a target demographic interest. Going from what I've said from above, it would be nice if Zecora did play a role as counsel to Twilight in her studies, but I don't see why it would happen outside of what I remember being said a long time ago.
  • New main villain: I think that's very likely. There have been three main villains over the course of two seasons. Of course, as I've said below, Discord might be coming back (through what means, I have no clue), but I don't think that prevents there from being another main villain who is threatening the well-being of Equestria in this season. But it's hard to say. Seasons 1 and 2 have been pretty different and yet the similar. The trends that I've seen don't have any bearing on villains or what the villains want.
  • Clear brony shoutout: That should be the free space even over hugs. Ever since Feeling Pinkie Keen, Derpy has been appearing with derped eyes or doing something silly. The fact that she's on the screen with those attributes (fandom and now canon attributes) is a brony shoutout. Until parents get upset about bronies and their potential "influence on the show," I don't think DHX's and Hasbro love (and/or tolerance) of us will stop at any point.
  • The CMC help someone else get his/her cutie mark: I don't see why that would happen, but there's certainly a moral in there. Even when you're wanting what another person has a good opportunity to get, one shouldn't be so jealous or envious that they aren't willing to help them.
  • Sea ponies: lolnope. If they do anything, then it would be something from a fantasy. Pinkie Pie has a dream involving singing sea ponies. She is horrified. She spends the episode afraid of her own shadow.
  • Discord returns: Going out on a limb here and saying "Probably." John de Lancie has already said that he's done voice work for the third season (if I'm remembering correctly.) Of course, that could be another character altogether, but I sorta doubt it. I don't know how much voice acting he's done before, but even his Discord role was very much like his regular speaking voice. He's a professional actor of the highest calibur: I'm sure performing with different voices isn't outside of his realm of acting, but I'd think that given how popular the premiere of Season 2 was, I could see Discord returning in some capacity again.

Gigatoast wrote:

Condors! Condors are on the verge of extinction…
If I was to create a flock of condors on mlp, you wouldn't have anything to say.

@verbose
I pretty sure the only pony who refered to it as Dodge was applejack (right?) and that's why you thinks it's called dodge. "we gotta get out of dodge" is country slang for "we need to get out of here quickly". It refers to dodge city, Kansas which was notorious for gang violence. I'm pretty sure the towns not called dodge.
Edit: the town is called dodge junction. My mistake, though I find it strange because they usually name the cities some half assed pun. I guesss they called it that so applejack could say that and the kids wouldn't say " what fuck is this horse-shit, mom?!? Since when is the fucking town called dodge? Dafaq" those would be their exact words.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Mega
Just throw a PM to one of the mods when you see it (RandomMan is usually a good choice) and it gets taken care of at blistering speeds.
The same couple of trolls pull this crap every once in a while and they're extremely lucky to every get even twenty minutes before deletion.

Click this link if you need some CMC cuteness-overload brain bleech: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
(I've seriously had this looping for about ten minutes now. I can't stop… Help…)

The IRC is usually the better choice for that, PMs are slow to respond and the mods might not always get it. IRC is instant, and not to mention mods hang out there most of the time. That's how I managed to report them so fast. Gone in five minutes. As for the drought, meh. I get by.

Oh yeh, we've still never seen Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash's parents, They could do a whole episode about that.

I still like the idea that Fluttershy's dad is an incredibly strict military sort of pegasus, and maybe RD's family are all factory workers. Either way, one of them has to be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Mega

Trolling bronies (on this site at least) is pointless and fruitless.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 07:38PM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

Oh yeh, we've still never seen Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash's parents, They could do a whole episode about that.

I still like the idea that Fluttershy's dad is an incredibly strict military sort of pegasus, and maybe RD's family are all factory workers. Either way, one of them has to be voiced by Gilbert Gottfried.

I think I mentioned that I like defending Fluttershy from THE VILE SLANDER AND LIES SPREAD BY ONE VERBOSE WHO IS CLEARLY IN DENIAL ABOUT HIS LOVE FOR YELLOWQUIET is because in real life, I'm pretty shy and incredibly nice to everyone I meet (until I get to know them and then I'm an asshole :P ) and my father is a strict military man so you might be on to something here :(

In reality, It's because I'm the oldest. My brothers are wild men so it doesn't really work. Fluttershy is older than Pinkie Pie and speculated to be the oldest of the Mane 6 so for her to be the eldest of her siblings isn't far off

I post stuff wrote:

Trolling bronies (on this site at least) is pointless and fruitless.

I'll have to say I disagree with this.

Sure, the comment section likes to act all high and mighty on how they're "untrollable", but that's just their ego at work. Maybe they don't bother as much as other communties, but I'll still say they're gullible at times. At least they're willing to give arguments and respond normally when asked for it. But there's still enough butthurt found at times with a troll.

If this site was really untrollable, all the obvious troll comments would be 100% ignored or countered in such a fashion that there's no reasonable comeback from the troll.

Chowzburgerz wrote:

Speaking of new villain, why not have a human villain.

I don't see how they'll make this fit. The best way is to create the popular "portal to Equestria" scenario and let a human drop by. But even then, I don't think it'll work out.

I'm more worried about the reaction of the fanbase. A human in Equestria? No way this will go by in peace and silence.

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 08:05PM EDT

Actually, the human villain wouldn't be too terrible if done correctly. As in, humans have been there, but are a weaker race than the ponies, or are nearly extinct. The villain himself could be a wizard or something, and be trying to conquer the ponies to save his race. Still not the best idea, but the human deal could potentially work if Equestria does it correctly, and thinks of all the outcomes of doing it. I wouldn't totally dismiss it, but it is far less likely than a mythical villain.

@Solaire

That doesn't seem likely. Having a wizard try to conquer the ponies to save humanity? Either it ends with the ponies being conquered, showing humanity to be a a bunch of assholes, or the humans going extinct, which is not an appealing prospect to an audience of young humans and also makes the ponies a bunch of assholes. That or it ends with some stupid peace treaty. If something is going to try to conquer the ponies, it will be out of desire and not need. DIscord wanted to conquer Equestria because he literally does not give a fuck, and the Changelings wanted to just out of the desire for more power.

@Trolling bronies

We are discussing the trolls in our semi-private medium of brony discussion. The trolls, terrorists and North Korea have won.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!