Forums / General

191,452 total conversations in 5,254 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10,167 conversations with 235 participants

Jacob wrote:

@ZeroBlue4 and the relationships of Celestia/ Luna in relations to other royal ponies

While I’m at it, let me throw another monkey wrench at your ideas: I technically posted this before (I have no idea if this deserves spoilers or not, but rather be safe than sorry)

Apparently, this new King Leo of Aquastria is cousin to Celestia

I think if these relationships are ever meant to be explained, they will actually try to explain it. Otherwise, I would not worry over it. Look at the word of god explanation for how Celestia is related to Prince Blue Blood. It isn’t meant to be taken too seriously.

Oh yeah… I shouldn’t take that explaination of how they’re related seriously…

’Cause…

Remember when the Cakes tried to explain how they could have one kid be a Pegasus, and the other a unicorn?

Remember how he qualified all he said?

…Yeah… It’s certainly not Lord of the Rings when it comes to tracking this stuff.

Edit: Oh wow, page get! Nice!

Edit: Now as I was trying to bring up earlier before promptly being ignored… What should the 6th, non-mane-6 Alicorn other than the Fausticorn be?

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 05:35AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 05:32AM EST

Lunar Protege wrote:

Oh yeah… I shouldn’t take that explaination of how they’re related seriously…

’Cause…

Remember when the Cakes tried to explain how they could have one kid be a Pegasus, and the other a unicorn?

Remember how he qualified all he said?

…Yeah… It’s certainly not Lord of the Rings when it comes to tracking this stuff.

Edit: Oh wow, page get! Nice!

Edit: Now as I was trying to bring up earlier before promptly being ignored… What should the 6th, non-mane-6 Alicorn other than the Fausticorn be?

Joe drops by to bring you this message about the next Alicorn.

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:33AM EST

@ZeroBlue4
What more Alicorns? Where do they come from? I only know of Celestia, Luna and Cadance…

@Fluttershy in Magic Duell
M.A. Larson is active on Twitter and stated his view regarding the Fluttershy potrayal in this episode:

Let’s make a quick analysis and keep that notion at the back of the mind. I am going to leave the beginnig out, as Fluttershy caring for her animal friends was mostly (but not fully) for comical purposes only.

So look at this groupshot here right before Twilight gets exiled from Ponyville. Her friends try to step in and Fluttershy is no exception here, she is ready to fight Trixie.

Moving on to the library scene. This was actually a long scene where Fluttershy was overlooked multiple times, but I found it stayed quite true-to-life. I can see that if you didn’t like the gag the first time, you won’t start to love it after the same thing is done repeatedly. You can laugh about it or not, but it wasn’t out of character and it served a purpose.

The book has been found and the information about the amulet obtained, but this information has to be brought to Twilight so that a plan can be formed and Trixies reign of terror put to rest.
The problem is that somebody has to sneak out of Ponyville without Trixie’s notice. The best pony for this job is Fluttershy, even her friends overlook her oftentimes as seen a couple of minutes ago. Thus Trixie won’t miss her. In addition Fluttershy is the only pony that didn’t get any humiliation at all. Trixie doesn’t really care for her, as she is just a doormat in her eyes.

The pressure is starting to rise. The stakes are high and she is the only hope for Ponyville. So finally she gives in and they form a plan to sneak her out with the help of her animal friends. The exceptional bond to her animals was shown right in the beginning of this episode.

The Fluttershy in a tree trick worked and she managed to sneak out of the dome. Her little birds (sounds just like Game of Thrones) tell her that she can find Twilight in the Everfree Forest. That notion snaps her assertiveness completly and she just wants to flee and hide

I found this scene a bit over the top when I watched the episode for the first time. She managed to sneak out of the dome, Trixie can’t do her any harm anymore and she has her animal friends around, but it doesn’t really bug me anymore after the rewatch with Larson’s Tweet in mind.

She is under a lot of stress as a lot of ponies trust and rely on her. Trixie didn’t do her any harm, but her friends have to suffer from her and Trixie would surely punish them and her animals if she screws it up. Thus this situation is far more consequential than the occurances in Hurricane Fluttershy and we still know how she reacted there

Fluttershy does play a large role in this episode and this should not be underestimated. I am not sure if I have over analyzed the episode now, but I think that Larson really thought about the story a lot. Actually I started thinking after seeing the Tweet, as it shows that Fluttershy portrayal wasn’t unmindful.

And sometimes all it takes is a tweet to gain a new perspective that changes the impression of a scene greatly.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 09:59AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 09:52AM EST

My OTP

So this might just be Deadparrot’s filthy witchcraft having its influence on me…but I’m really looking forward to the next episode. I mean fuck, we get to watch Dash terrorize a bunch of children with scary stories, what’s not to love? Also, we get to have a look inside Scootaloo’s head, so who the fuck knows what the writers and artists are going to do with that. Maybe we’ll finally find out what this orange weirdo’s deal is.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 10:02AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 10:00AM EST

Jackal Lantern wrote:

Only if you view them as lesbians. I have preferred ships only because I think of them as being friends, and I think some of the ponies would be closer friends than others.

I was talking about Mane 6 ships primarily with that statement. I know that there’s some platonic shipping of them, but by far the majority of Mane 6 shipping is romantic. I support a lot of platonic shipping – I’m one of those people who believe that Lyra and Bonbon, Tavi and Scratch, and Derpy and Carrot Top are just pairs of roommates, not couples. I just don’t see as much with the 6, and so I don’t really have a ship that I support 100% (although the closest is TwiDash).

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 11:38AM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 11:36AM EST

Talking about shipping? Sorry guys, Derpy x Muffins = OTP

But really, I prefer not to think about shipping…….

Anyway, I came here today to say that I won’t be around much for the next few weeks. My fall classes have ended, and as such I won’t be able to use the university’s internet for a while. I’ll try to drop by these forums whenever possible, but that won’t be very often.

So, I’ll be back in January! See ’ya then!

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:10PM EST

@Leon
Since someone was asking on the last page (too lazy to go see who it was), here is the origin of ‘Leon’: LINKED TO PRESERVE THE SANITY OF THOSE WHO CHOOSE NOT TO CLICK
Yeah, that’s a translation of the French comic and that is, as far as I know, Leon’s only appearance in anything even remotely approaching ‘canon.’
(Notice however, that the events of said comic have absolutely no relation to anything seen in the show, even down to the basic characterizations, events, and rational sense.)
However, he is the only male alicorn ever seen so he gained some slight notoriety for that fact alone.
Now that I think of it, the Alicorn Amulet is pretty square-muzzled.

Perhaps that is an indicator of the possibility of male alicorns as well?

@Fifth’s OTP

Double the Dash, double the fun!

@Next episode

“Hey… Hey, AJ…”
“What do you want Scoots?”
“I’m getting an episode in season three before you!”

“… Ah hate kids…”

My actual opinions:
Yeah, I’m damn excited to see how this thing is going to go.

I’m going to leave my expectations for character development low just to avoid any disappointment should they choose to sidestep establishing facts about Scoots’ life (parents, home, flying ability, etc.) though they would be nice, and getting to see her have more direct interaction with Dash makes me happy enough.
Despite the idolization, she and Dash have really only had something like three interactions so far in the series and all of them have been far too brief.

The likely glimpse into Scoot’s psyche as she struggles with her nightmares should be pretty awesome, too.
(Anyone else anticipating/dreading a chicken joke to pop up in there somewhere?)

But yes, as Fifths said, my main interest is just wanting to see what the hell the show will do with her.
So far she’s been a great side/supporting character but she’s never been given the spotlight directly.
I really am hoping that they will eventually follow through with Faust’s original idea for a non-flying Scootaloo (and not just because I also wrote about the concept. I wrote about it because I thought it would be interesting.), but I would certainly not hold it against them for not pursuing that route in a children’s show.

I think I’m just rambling at this point…
Short version: Saturday can’t come fast enough!

MORE SHIPPING!

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 01:56PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 01:42PM EST

@WhitishCollar

You’re asking about the other two alicorns?

DeadParrot abovejust linked to one (Leon)…

…The other is the freaking pink “thing” that was marketed as a baby princess toy(and probably the child of cadance), called Skyla .

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 02:18PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 02:11PM EST

@DeadParrot

I just saw that link to Leon. If he is supposed to be Celestia’s cousin, then why is he so young? Only four years old. Also, Leon looks like a girl. I’m not entirely sure if… wait, who’s Vladimir? Who is Vladimir?! WHY DOES CELESTIA HAVE A NEPHEW NAMED VLADIMIR?!

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:59PM EST

Disturbed Balls of Steel wrote:

@DeadParrot

I just saw that link to Leon. If he is supposed to be Celestia’s cousin, then why is he so young? Only four years old. Also, Leon looks like a girl. I’m not entirely sure if… wait, who’s Vladimir? Who is Vladimir?! WHY DOES CELESTIA HAVE A NEPHEW NAMED VLADIMIR?!

Vladimir is what the French seem to be calling “Prince BlueBlood”.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:02PM EST

@DeadParrot

GASP
Could it be that you are truly unfamiliar with the utter magnificence that resides within the translated European MLP comics?
Here, take a look at one of the classics:

Biggerness Here!
I’ll just let all that sink in for a minute…

You good?
So yeah, lots of stuff in there:
RD-recolor Fluttershy want to be ‘best man’ at a wedding that is explicitly taking place in a ‘playset?’
Why is Cadance plotting against Twilight’s wedding?
Why is Twilight getting married in the first place (and to a creepy-looking Blueblood no less)?!
Why is ‘King Zebra’ just Zecora in a pimp hat?
Gotta love the ‘All of my friends… And Applejack!’
It was so nice of Spike’s Nightmare Night costume to attend the wedding even though Spike himself apparently couldn’t make it. (WAT?!)
But at least Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were there to (inexplicably) save the day!
Pink Celestia offers Sco- uh… ‘Terry’ a balloon as a reward for their service to the country.
Add in some slightly veiled racism and there you go!
One masterful conglomeration of WTF-ery worthy of… something…

Context:
Basically, over in Europe, there are (or maybe ‘were.’ I haven’t seen a new one in a while) a series of comics made for children.
The German ones were the most famous (the above being an example) but other countries had their share as well.
As far as I’ve been able to tell, these things were ‘official’ products, but Hasbro clearly had no role in their production besides providing those classic crappy stock vectors for them to use.
Even removing a lot of the obvious translation issues, these comics are famous for making absolutely no sense whatsoever, but in a spectacularly insane way.
So much so that it even spawned an imitation/parody tumblr: ASK TERRY.
>mfw

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:03PM EST

We interrupt your scheduled programming and my hiatus to bring you this funny video:

This is hilarious.
I freaking love this guy, all his videos are funny, this one no less.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:26PM EST

@Deadparrot

I forgot how hilariously retarded those things were. The only thing missing now is to have the lines narrated by Tommy Wiseau.

You forgot to mention how apparently Twilight Sparkle is pink Celestia’s daughter…and since she’s apparently marrying Blue Blood…

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:55PM EST

@Crazy comics and DeadParrot
Do you have the original source? I would really love to see if those comics do make any sense at all. They are just straight bullshit and why do they even change vectors and do recolors. I am just amazed by the ingenuity.

@Fifths
Nobody told you about spoilers, right? Did you miss the last pages? Argh at least I managed to scroll fast after reading the fist sentence.

@Fresh alicorns
I just hope that we will never see them in the show. Really not a view to be savored…

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:07PM EST

I would love to see this in an episode.

Just imagine, Celestia with [that rolls womem put in the hair for whatever reason] , just getting a coffee in a mug labeled 1th Princess. And Luna with that Bat plushie. I CAN DREAM!

@DeadParrot222: That comic… What… They are, total BS. It’s looks like a bad CTRL+C/CTRL+V work.

@Alicorns: Unless they are introduced properly, with a good story and stuff, I would not like more Alicorns. Take Cadence as exemple, most of people hated her before she was properly introduced with her own story and characterization.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 07:03PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 07:02PM EST

>Mfw someone donated to the children’s clinic that I work at a set of G4 MLP dolls that are show accurate

>Mfw I can’t have them

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:14PM EST

X wrote:

We interrupt your scheduled programming and my hiatus to bring you this funny video:

This is hilarious.

Not enough Spaghetti, would not watch again 2/10.

and we got another Star Wars reference, complete with Zecora playing the role Faust had intended! Overall, I think Larson may be one of the best, if not the best writer on staff.

There’s actually a reference that everyone missed! Larson mentioned it on his twitter that the final scene was based on the finale of The Three Amigos.

For those that don’t know, the ending of The Three Amigos had the entire village disguise themselves as The Three Amigos and scare off El Guapo’s gang.

Rarity and Fluttershy on the other hand, I can’t say I’m fond of his portrayal of them. Rarity acts like she’s from G3, and Fluttershy is a bigger wuss than normal. He does write some humorous stuff for them though:

Rarity was less dramatic than she was in many episodes and Fluttershy is less wussy than she was in Dragonshy by a country mile.

I do not see the problem.

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:23PM EST
Fluttershy is less wussy than she was in Dragonshy by a country mile.

What a lot of people are forgetting when they make this point is that full-grown dragons were firmly established as a specific phobia of Fluttershy’s. In fact, Dragonshy went out of its way to point out that Fluttershy fears neither caves, nor mountains, nor monsters in general. Just dragons, and only adult dragons at that. I still have a BIG problem with this more current portrayal.

She may have been timid in the past, and reluctant to venture into dangerous situations, but she only really backed down from it that one time, and for a very specific reason.

Last edited Dec 05, 2012 at 08:38PM EST
Dec 05, 2012 at 08:35PM EST

I don’t know what to think of alicorns. They are what they are.

Deadparrot222 wrote:

Dafuq?

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:51PM EST

DeadParrot222 wrote:

GASP
Could it be that you are truly unfamiliar with the utter magnificence that resides within the translated European MLP comics?
Here, take a look at one of the classics:

Biggerness Here!
I’ll just let all that sink in for a minute…

You good?
So yeah, lots of stuff in there:
RD-recolor Fluttershy want to be ‘best man’ at a wedding that is explicitly taking place in a ‘playset?’
Why is Cadance plotting against Twilight’s wedding?
Why is Twilight getting married in the first place (and to a creepy-looking Blueblood no less)?!
Why is ‘King Zebra’ just Zecora in a pimp hat?
Gotta love the ‘All of my friends… And Applejack!’
It was so nice of Spike’s Nightmare Night costume to attend the wedding even though Spike himself apparently couldn’t make it. (WAT?!)
But at least Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were there to (inexplicably) save the day!
Pink Celestia offers Sco- uh… ‘Terry’ a balloon as a reward for their service to the country.
Add in some slightly veiled racism and there you go!
One masterful conglomeration of WTF-ery worthy of… something…

Context:
Basically, over in Europe, there are (or maybe ‘were.’ I haven’t seen a new one in a while) a series of comics made for children.
The German ones were the most famous (the above being an example) but other countries had their share as well.
As far as I’ve been able to tell, these things were ‘official’ products, but Hasbro clearly had no role in their production besides providing those classic crappy stock vectors for them to use.
Even removing a lot of the obvious translation issues, these comics are famous for making absolutely no sense whatsoever, but in a spectacularly insane way.
So much so that it even spawned an imitation/parody tumblr: ASK TERRY.
>mfw

Go home Europe, you’re drunk!!!!

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:15PM EST

@ChowzBurgers

How can they not be drunk when they have such marvelous Wine and Beer?

Seriously, it appears that the Europe comics works on the assumtion of the plot being played out by kids with their toys.

…Which explains why fluttershy seems to have Dash’s Hair; It’s cause this ONE time, Fluttershy had Rainbow Dash’s Hair on a toy.

…Also, my computer is Drunk for some reason.

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:37PM EST

Jackal Lantern wrote:

“As for mane 6 ships, it’s a bit different. I don’t really support them too much, mostly for the same reasons that Exudes gave – there’s just too much lesbian poni going around.”

Only if you view them as lesbians. I have preferred ships only because I think of them as being friends, and I think some of the ponies would be closer friends than others.

So… technically… I guess I don’t actually ship anything. Whatever.

I believe the same thing.
You are not alone.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:30PM EST

Wait a minute. Are you telling me those European comics are for real? No way. Nothing can be that bad on accident. Some guy in Germany is laughing his ass off because he’s trolling all of you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:46PM EST

Wait a minute. Are you telling me those European comics are for real? No way. Nothing can be that bad on accident. Some guy in Germany is laughing his ass off because he’s trolling all of you.

Correction: Some guy in Germany is laughing his ass off because he’s trolling all of us; and getting paid to do it… and is sponsered by Hasbro.

I think the entire point of them, even if they are real, is that.

It feels like it was purposely writen to sound like something a kid would come up with, with some implied framing device that it’s all taking place in some kid’s playset.

Now I can’t be sure that’s the case, but it certainly seems to be that they were told to come up with the most stupid story imaginable as a joke, and that would be the appeal of the comics there; they are a joke, so people buy they to hear the joke.

…And here we are.

Anyways…

If for some strange reason, the Hub decided to make another canon Princess/Alicorn, Who here would rather it be a tomboy?

…And who would like it if they could make it work?

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:33PM EST

Millennial Dan wrote:

Fluttershy is less wussy than she was in Dragonshy by a country mile.

What a lot of people are forgetting when they make this point is that full-grown dragons were firmly established as a specific phobia of Fluttershy’s. In fact, Dragonshy went out of its way to point out that Fluttershy fears neither caves, nor mountains, nor monsters in general. Just dragons, and only adult dragons at that. I still have a BIG problem with this more current portrayal.

She may have been timid in the past, and reluctant to venture into dangerous situations, but she only really backed down from it that one time, and for a very specific reason.

The very same episode established that Fluttershy is afraid of her own shadow. :/

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:42AM EST

Which proves nothing except that she is easily startled. Anyone can be made to jump, even Rainbow Dash. Big difference between that and being cripplingly afraid of everything, even when your friends are depending on you.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:58AM EST

@Deadparrot
THANK YOU.
That comic was hilarious, and that Tumblr is quite possibly the best one I’ve seen since Discorderly Conduct.

Rarity was less dramatic than she was in many episodes and Fluttershy is less wussy than she was in Dragonshy by a country mile.

I’m not talking about the drama, I’m talking about her obsession with dresses. Every other line was something about fashion. Yeah, she’s a dressmaker, I get that. But her lines about fashion in this particular episode felt really forced, imo. Add to that, he also wrote the Rarity that steals the spotlight from Rainbow Dash in Sonic Rainboom, who is corrupted with absolutely no effort whatsoever in The Return of Harmony, and swindled Spike out of his Ruby in Secret of My Excess. And then she was inspired by Spike’s generosity to make capes n’ shit for everyone except him. WAT. He writes Rarity far too vain and selfish. I prefer Rarity as interpreted by Charlotte Fullerton and Meghan McCarthy.

As for Fluttershy, yeah, she was a wuss in Dragonshy. I agree with Dan’s statement, and I would also like to add that her fear wasn’t constantly being used for comic relief like in Magic Duel. Because of the fact that her timid and fearful nature was being used for a joke every time she had a line, it was really played up. Those fears were played up a bit during Dragonshy, but it made sense when she was facing her biggest phobia. I’ll give you the shadow thing, but it was short and to the point, so it felt less awkward than the long, drawn-out LOL LET’S TALK ABOUT HOW DANGEROUS OPPOSING TRIXIE IS WHILE TELLING FLUTTERSHY SHE HAS TO DO EXACTLY THAT, ALL BY HERSELF. Of course, I’m not saying that wasn’t funny, but playing up a character’s flaws to such a degree doesn’t make them more relatable or likable.

Still, I’ll give the man credit where credit is due. In Cutie Mark Chronicles, everything was fucking PERFECT. Rarity wasn’t selfish, and the fashion crap was actually called for, and Fluttershy was timid due to school bullying, but also showed off her good side while caring for the animals. Not to mention, writing RD like a BA, and making Scootaloo my favorite CMC up until Sweetie Belle passed her up with this:

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:11AM EST

X wrote:

This is hilarious.

Hey, that’s EQLA!
Is it weird that I tried to find myself in the backgrounds of all of those shots? (No luck…)
I did find a lot of other stuff though!

Fifths, check out 0:47.
That creepy guy from your Rogers video is back there.
Speaking of Rogers, she and Larson are walking by at 2:20.
And that Flim/Flam guy who was all over the place is there at 3:00.
And those Flitter and Cloudchaser plushies at 5:26!
That was fun…

Bruno posted:

Just imagine, Celestia with [that rolls womem put in the hair for whatever reason] , just getting a coffee in a mug labeled 1th Princess. And Luna with that Bat plushie. I CAN DREAM!

I know what you’re going for there, but just remember, be careful what you wish for…

Now for some other content!

Here’s an interview with the writer of the new IDW comic book, Katie Cook.
I really like how she very closely mirrors the sentiments that Verbose and I expressed a page or two ago; the content is being made because the creators are truly passionate about it and they are focused on telling good stories first and foremost.
The fact that they are ponies is secondary to just being good.
Nice to see that the comics are taking the same philosophy as the show itself.

ONE MORE THING!
In case you are not aware, the full season one DVD set came out on Tuesday!
This set contains the very first audio commentaries ever recorded for pony and they are pretty fun and interesting.
Right off the bat I should note, there are commentaries on only six episodes (Return of Harmony Part 1, Return of Harmony Part 2, Winter Wrap-up, Suited for Success, Show Stoppers, and Best Night Ever) so it is not as extensive as some people may have been hoping.
The people sitting in include two Hasbro execs, Jayson Thiesson (Supervising Director), Tabitha St. Germaine (Rarity/Luna), Cathy Wesluck (Spike/Mayor), Andrea Libman (Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy), Nicole Oliver (Celestia/Cheerilee), Daniel Ingram (Composer), Wootie (Creative Director), as well as a couple people from the art and animation teams.

It was pretty fun to hear all of them interacting and reacting to the episodes while telling little stories of how different elements came to be.
As usual with commentaries containing voice actors, things got a little crazy at times with various voices being thrown in just for fun.
They even mention Octavia by name during the gala which was funny.

My favorite moment though, was during Show Stoppers when Tabitha asked a simple question about how they had decided to make Sweetie Belle related to Rarity.
This led into noting that Apple Bloom was AJ’s sister and that really, Scootaloo was the only one of them without a sibling.
(Someone even asked ‘Where is Scootaloo’s family is a mysterious sounding voice.)
Out of nowhere, Nicole Oliver just jumps in with “Maybe she’s Princess Celestia’s- Never mind!”
This led to someone (Tabitha maybe?) bringing up the fact that Athena was born from Zeus’ head so maybe Scootaloo could be related to the gods!
Could it be?!

(Obviously, Thiessen immediately claimed ‘This is not canon!’ but it was hilarious nonetheless)

So overall, this is a very nice set for anyone wanting to have all of season one on-hand for about $1 per episode while still getting a few nice tidbits of special content, too.
It’s not the greatest DVD compilation ever made, but for something that was never supposed to be in the first place, it is worth every penny.
(Recall that this set was a complete surprise. Shout Factory had directly said that they would not be making a full season DVD set and it was only the collective urging of the fans that pushed them to reconsider. For that reason, it makes sense that the first offering is relatively light. They’re testing the waters. Show them that we are interested in this kind of stuff and we may get better offering in the future!)

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:52AM EST

Okay guys, I just want to run this “Over a Thousand years ago” in Equestria Timeline past you:

-StarSwirl the Bearded working on spells, a great Sorcerer, if ever there was one.
-The Hearths Warming Story’s Event’s (Seeing as Clover the Clever Mentions StarSwirl as being His/Her Mentor.)
-The Birth of Luna and Celestia (Method, Lineage, and original Race unknown, but good fodder for speculation.)
-If Celestia and Luna weren’t born Alicorns, then they become such some time before Sombra… Or during, who knows?
-The Sombra Incident
-Discord Arises.
-Celestia and Luna Find the Elements of Harmony (Note, After Sombra; as I don’t Think that the elements were used in their flashback to Sombra; as they probably didn’t have them until after.)
-Discord Defeated.
-Nightmare Moon Incident.

This so far makes sense, as best it can… But I have a few more things that may be spoilers…

-It’s possible that around the birth of Celestia and Luna, either before or after, StarSwirl was working on the “Omni-o-morphic Spell”, and perhaps had Luna and Celestia as either the results of said experiment, or made them into Alicorns from that.
-From there, StarSwirl may have taken up his experiments a notch, deciding that 3 magical creatures together was not enough, and went and transmuted himself into having parts from Gryphons, Windigoes, Dragons, the Cockatrice, a Mule, All three main kinds of poines plus the Bat ponies, and… Some kind of Dear. Giving him huge magical abilities that extend into near effortless levels of magic…

Intermission, Sombra goes HERE!

-StarSwirl takes up the Title of “Discord”; and his magic taken from the transmutations of himself grant him huge powers, that he quickly turns to the purpose of chaos… perhaps even infusing him with that chaos somewhere along the line. (Probably back with the windigoes he was studying…)

Also… Anyone think it’s plausible that StarSwirl felt inspired by the Windigoes? After all, Clover the Clever did say StarSwirl was Studying them. And Discord does Look a lot like a Windigo.

Now that we’ve covered the bases… who wants to discuss a little something called “Artificial Alicorns VS True Alicorns”?

It’s a Multi part topic:
1- Did Celestia and Luna become Alicorns through Birth, or through another Process.
2- Is Cadence a Natural Alicorn? Some-Pony would have had to get the idea from somewhere, and Cadence’s Family could be the best Explanation.
3- Does this all mean that any Pony Lucky enough to get in the Right Circumstances can become an Alicorn, but the method is EXTREMELY difficult; akin to some kind of Trial by Buddhism?
4- What would be Stronger? A Natural Alicorn? Or an Artificial, and possibly Enhanced, Alicorn?

(Oh dear, My “Capitalisation of Stronger words” Typing Quirk is Suddenly back. Maybe I should Try some other Quirk and see if the Homestuck can be Beaten out of my Brain… Iz thiz 8etter? I xant tell from all the ztupid zub-xonziouz 8lur going on in my head)

(…You’re Right, that’s even more Stupid.)

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 05:00AM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 04:58AM EST

@Fluttershy and Rarity:

I agree, they were rather shallow this episode. I’m not sure if I like how Larson portrays them. Even more so when you consider that Fluttershy has had at least three episodes since Dragonshy in which she learns to be courageous, and she’s acting more timid than ever for no reason. She’s shown to have a ‘friend in need, friend indeed’ attitude, where she’ll get courageous if her friends are threatened, which they definitely are in Magic Duel. I don’t know, it just seemed rather forced with her portrayal.

Rarity was better to some degree, but still a bit shallow. Granted, she didn’t have many lines, but going into depression from wearing a weird dress?

@European comics:

Those have been around since really early 2011, I think. Since before I even came to KYM, much less had an account. How is it you guys haven’t seen them yet?

I always assumed they were a messy attempt to cash in on a few extra bucks before Hasbro realized that the massive viewer pool of MLP wasn’t retarded kids, but retarded adults.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:02AM EST

>playing black ops 2 online
>Only need 2 more bloodthirsty medals to unlock pimp’n gold camo for the KSG shotgun
>you get these medals when you get 5 kills without dying
>luck out and get 4 kills without dying relatively easily despite my terrible reaction time and questionable level of skill
>close in on next guy not realizing he also has a shotgun and that I easily could have killed him from a safe distance with the KSG
>he kills me instead

>game shows you the name of the player who killed you accompanied by their custom emblem
>my assailant has a rainbow dash emblem
>realize I’m not going to associate rainbow dash with anything other than impeding my gold camo progress for awhile

@dem comics

I just realized blueblood – who they shipped with twilight last time – is now shown with rarity and twilight is nowhere to be seen!

She gon be mad.

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 01:36PM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 01:32PM EST

So I got to rewatch the episode with an IRL friend. I thought about this the day after the episode aired, but I forgot about it until re-watching it:

Nothing about them returning to normal after the second duel was shown in the episode, and Zecora and the mane six pretty much locked up the one device that could change them back as soon as they got a hold of it. I guess it is always possible Celestia fixed this issue after she arrived.

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 03:15PM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 03:14PM EST

@Iamslow

I do happen to play Black Ops 2 with a Rainbow Dash emblem; are you a 360 player and when was this?

Also, I notice this thread talks about alicorns a lot

Change of topic: The realm of Equestria; where is it?

The world of Equestria is obviously a fantasy realm, with anthropomorphic and personified characters along with the existence of magic and mythical creatures. But what does it classify as?

Is Equestria:

>Another planet, similar to Glienor from Runescape ?

>A previous incarnation of Earth, as Middle Earth is in the Tolkein-verse?

>A parallel universe to Earth, where equines are the dominant species

My theory is that Eqeustria is indeed another planet entirely, with attributes similar to Earth, including the heliocentric model, similar geography, and climate. Basically: it contains all the attributes Earth does, plus some more (i.e. magic). This would allow Equestria to exist as a world and support life similar to how Earth supports life.

Topic # 2: R34; Harmful or No?

This is one that comes up a lot, but outside of KYM, let’s talk about the entire brony community as a whole. I also won’t blow into it

So, is R34 of ponies a menace that must be purged, or is clopping harmless, much less something to worry about?

My two cents: Though the statistics may be a bit unnerving as for amount, and that it is illogical to parade your love for that kind of thing, R34 and clopping is not so much as harmful as it is simply something that exists. Though I find no love for it, I understand those that do, and I don’t judge for it. Others may not be as tolerable, and I do caution that.

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 05:16PM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 04:47PM EST

@Popper:

As far as I am aware, Equestria is not the whole planet, so much as a country. Maps, other countries being mentioned, etc. seem to hint at as much, at least.

Second of all, with Smart Purple’s astronomy, we get hints that the planet is most likely in a location DIRECTLY RIGHT FUCKING WHERE EARTH IS. That or they have coincidentally exactly the same names for extremely rare astronomical anomalies (i.e. a horsehead nebula). So, I’m assuming the planet is an alternate reality of Earth.

I say alternate reality with a lot of emphasis on ‘reality’ and ‘alternate’, because magic exists, it has either no axial tilt or no heliocentricity or whatever fucking word means that, and that magic exists. The seasons and weather don’t change by themselves (besides in the Everfree Forest which just raises more fucking questions), which means there is no uneven heating of the planet which translates nicely to either a magical sun with a non-heliocentric model or a planet with a completely circular orbit, no axial tilt, and a completely and utterly predictable star.

In a world in which time can be manipulated with little effort and reality can be cock-slapped by a weird amalgamation of every animals young boys enjoy killing things with, I tend to favor the less scientifically likely outcome because science is total balls.

As for r34, I couldn’t give less shits. Not any worse than the r34 that exists for every other fucking cartoon in existence (Ben 10, Gravity Falls, looking at you). Certainly less common than the other fan-art, usually. Avatar might take offense to that last statement, but that show can fuck itself for not shipping Borra.

In the end, I don’t care, and I think most people don’t, either, because it’s not a big deal. Mainly because Rarity is so fien there have been weirder and less sexy things jacked-off-to.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:05PM EST

@Iamslow:

>mfw shotguns are overpowered and way too long range in BOII
>mfw you may not have actually won that one
>mfw I actually like shotguns
>mfw I don’t want to use them for fear of being berated by friends

As for what Equestria is, I think it’s a single country on a planet that, thanks to the theoretically infinite possiblities in the universe, has magic, has to be turned manually, is dominated by an equine genus with several subspecies, and has certain constellations and visible astronomical features that are similar to Earth’s.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:23PM EST

@World of Equestria stuff

I’ve always interpreted the statement of “Horse-Head Nebula” quite Literally, in such that it is some kind of literal horse head made of Nebula.

Like the Ursuar Ursar Urser Giant Bear thing Major/Minor. (Man that first part is hard to spell, I give up). So It’s not so much that it’s in the same location as earth, but for some reason, they have mythological creatures based on things we observe.

As such, I see it as similar to Digimon’s Digital World; sand-witched somewhere between on one side our world the world of our dreams, mythology and what not, and on the other some mystical world that drags other worlds out from the dreams.

As such, our knowledge of the Horsehead nebula becomes a horse made of Nebula in their world, ancient beliefs about sun and moon going around the earth manifest in their world, and pop culture references happen because of us.

Because… Naturally, unless their world is spawned from our dreams somehow, they kinda wouldn’t be likely to have all those recognizable mythological creatures as gryphons, nor would it be likely to have any kind of identifiable creature at all.

… Now speaking of dreams… How has no one done a MLP style Version of a certain Pegasus based creature from a game about diving through dreams to find lost worlds?

Edit: then again, that is kinda… you know… over the top in color wise…

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 07:59PM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 07:56PM EST

Sorry about the previous image. I noticed the error about a minute after 30 minutes had passed. This is what it was supposed to look like.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:30PM EST

@Equestria

Equestria is a country in future Earth, where all the humans became extinct and ponies evolved to the point where they discovered magic and became the dominate species, or something like that.

@R34

Well, I wouldn’t know anything about it. I most certainly don’t look at R34 images.

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:54PM EST

So, about the whole AppleSpike discussion that seems to have been floating around elsewhere lately…

Calling it right now that it is romantic and Rarity becomes jealous.

On another note, I may start getting into the habit of using a combination of headphones, Netflix, and my Wii U to watch my favorite Friendship is Magic episodes while on the shitter. Anypony else doing this?

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:11PM EST
Can’t post now. I just got my copy of playbrony and I gotta lot of clopping to do
Dec 06, 2012 at 11:24PM EST

So, I showed my mom the show and she came to the following conclusions:

The gay best friend.

A terrible librarian.

F#cking c#nts

Last edited Dec 07, 2012 at 12:20AM EST
Dec 07, 2012 at 12:15AM EST

@Equestria
I’m with disturbed on this one.
I like the idea that the MLP ponies are highly evolved forms of the ponies we have now who have become the dominant species after mankind destroyed itself eons ago.

Besides just being a fun way of thinking, it also could help explain the similar astronomy that Twilight sees and all of the rather ‘human’ tools that the ponies use.
(Still one of my favorite Lyra-human freakouts)

Or perhaps mankind was actually responsible for the creation of the ponies.
What else is genetic engineering for anyway?

@R34

@ScootaBloom
I don’t read many fics, but have a comic: ScootaBloom.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:25AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!