Forums / Discussion / General

232,629 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

I don't mind Vinyl. She's a pony that supposed to pop out a bit when she's on screen, and her jarring color combination and individual design do just that. I'm curious as to whether or not she's the pony Sabrina Alberghetti (Sibsy) pulled strings for to get put into the shot though.

@Pony Dance Party

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 03:48PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

New spoiler clip is out.

Going to say it now.. This might be my favorite song in the show. I'm really not much of a fan of the music usually, but this seems more.. well done? and charming than the others. Dashie's voice is a little less scratchy than what I'd expect, but it's still really fitting. And hearing Pinkie drop into a minor southern accent for a moment is just awesome. I was hoping for some Singlestia in the clip, but I guess I'll just have to wait for the episode to air to hear that.

As far as the plot: I think I understand what's going on now. It's not that the ponies can't just do what they normally do in their lives, it's that they feel driven by their Cutie Marks to carry out their friends' tasks.

Anthro ponies: I like them, so long as the artist doesn't try to do extreme human actions with hooves or anything. They need to retain some of that plasticity from the show for me to really enjoy them.

At the very end, I think Studio B is telling us their OTPs.

Raridash, Flutterpie, and Twijack.

They complete one another.

Apparently, the pace of the thread has begun to pick up. Things might calm down once the season finale has ended, but…

We're getting close to locking this thread in order to open up KYM Pony General VII.

Very quickly, a history of why it is locked in favor of a new thread:

To image spam the first couple of pages for no real reason.

A long Time ago, when The Elder Bronies Revived KYM Pony General and gave it Life through Overanalysis and image Spams, the Thread began to Grow at a rate that offended bordering Threads. They were frightened by the rapid Growth and Success of the once inactive Pony Thread, and they feared that it would Overshadow all the other Threads while still being Contained to its own Borders.

In order to Protect the uneasy Peace among its Fellow Threads, the Elder Bronies (some of whom had gained Notoriety and Respect in other areas of the KYM Dubdom,) decided it would be best to simply occupy a new Thread so that the old Castle and Symbol of Bump for the KYM Forum could be retired, and a new Thread taking up less Space and Casting a smaller Shadow could become the new Home of this Subcommunity of Ponyfoaltry. While Maintaining the Memory of Resting Pony Threads, the Currently Active Pony Thread would not Infringe upon Other Threads by taking up Screen Space.

So to sum, I think Twilight Sparkle is going to die and with good reason somewhat tragically in the season finale perhaps maybe, and we should come up with ideas for the seventh Pony General.

Some Suggestions from The Olden Days:

• KYM Pony General: Live free or Twi Hard is a skank whore
  • KYM Pony General: Twilight has a well developed plot Pony STIs.
  • KYM Pony General: Stay out of our shed
  • KYM Pony General: Friendship, Unity, Caring, and Kindness
  • KYM Pony General: Know Your Pony
  • KYM Pony General: Never gonna say good-bye
  • KYM Pony General: RandomMan Is Your God Now, Bring Him Your Virgins
  • KYM Pony General: RandomMan’s Harem
  • KYM Pony General: And May We All Bask In RandomMan’s Glory
  • KYM Pony General: YES ANOTHER ONE, DEAL WITH IT
  • KYM Pony General: >Implying We Talk About Ponies Here
  • KYM Pony General – Can’t Read My Pony Face P-P-Pony Face
  • KYM Pony General: Because we needed another one
Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 04:50PM EST

@Equestria Girls legitimacy

There's still no confirmation from a second source. What's more, Zammap (the girl behind the scans and the vid showing the magazine) is a talented artist with access to all the equipment one would need to print a fake magazine. Of course, she's claiming it's legit, but I make it a point not to trust anyone with a monopoly on the truth. And with something this big, you'd think others would have cropped up by now.

But you don't have to take my word for it, take a look at the comments here and decide for yourself.

@The uncanny valley

I think the term's been bandied about far too much and it's become rather devalued. Much like the word creepy. Seriously, you'd think people want to be afraid of everything around them. Are we human or spathi?

See, the term originated from an explanation as to why most people are terrified of human-like robots. The gist of the idea is that something human-like-but-not-quite sets off our primal warning lights which tell us "that there's an infiltrator, don't even think about trusting it".

Now, what most people ignore about this theory is that the titular valley is the point where's it's just human-like enough to seem similar, but not human-like enough to fool us. What precedes this drop in likability is something that resembles humans (or things humans like) in a stylized fashion. Take our little ponies for example. We find them so charming because they're expressive and relatable, but not so much we'd mistake them for something they're not. And of course, the opposite end of the valley, where they're a perfect imitation, is likewise very likable, although whether this is because it obfuscates the truth or not is something we haven't figured out yet. Mostly because there's no real example of such yet. Or maybe there is. After all, how would we know?

Most importantly, however, what can be considered to fall into the uncanny valley is very, very subjective. I've seen just about any CGI character you could care to name being accused of uncanniness. Myself, I seem to be nearly immune to this effect, barring some initial uneasiness with the really glaring examples. Judging by other people's reactions, though, just about anything not perfectly human is witch-hunt material in the eyes of the majority. This includes anyone unfortunate enough to have a disfigurement, by the way. Pretty fuckin' depressing, but then, so is most everything about this ol' species we have the misfortune of being.

@Anthoromorphs

Being something of a veteran furry (or at least veteran furry observer, take your pick) I think I have some qualification to analyze this.

Pulling them off convincingly can be quite tricky. Too much human, it just looks like a dude with glued-on animal parts and a mask. Too much animal, it just looks like the artist failed to depict a proper beast. It's something of a balancing act.

Personally, I like it best when the head and legs remain animalistic, but the torso and arms and hands are more human-like. A very important detail, however, is the eyes. That's very much key to avoiding the uncanny valley as well. We humans are very particular about oculars, research shows that they're the first thing we look for when met with something, even when we know not to expect there being any. So when met with no eyes, or eyes that we don't like the look of, we tend to react quite negatively.

To illustrate stuff further, I'm gonna show you folks some examples. There won't be much pony (though there will be plenty of equines) so feel free not to look.

Stylizing (i.e. making 'em look all cartoony) is a simple and effective way of avoiding any wonkiness that poorly done realism entails. Most people find this sort of artwork easier to swallow since it's not as liable to fall into the uncanny valley. Also, given the show's style, you'll find that most pony anthros are done in this style as well.

Ever wonder why predatory animals are so popular amongst furries? Quite simple really, it's easier to do the faces convincingly. Prey animals tend to have side-facing eyes with large pupils, while predators have relatively human-like, front-facing eyes. To make, for example, a horse's face not give folks the heebie-jeebies, you have to move the eyes a bit and shrink the pupils, like the examples in the previous set.

Gotta give mad props to artists that go for a more realistic style. Ain't easy to pull off, and most folks will fail to appreciate the subtleties. Take the horse there, for example. I'll bet many of you think it's an affront to all that is holy, but I think it's a damn fine example of how to do it right. Also, you people have no idea how difficult it is to find a piece that shows off the anatomy without being too suggestive.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 04:57PM EST

@Verbose
We lock at 200 pages, right? So we should have a little less than 2000 more posts to go.

Anyway,
KYM Pony General VII: Friendship, Unity, Caring, and Kindness%
KYM Pony General VII: >Implying We Talk About Ponies Here
KYM Pony General VII: Because we needed another one%
KYM Pony General VII: Where No Pony Has Gone Before

I like these.

EDIT: Need more dancing poni.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 05:20PM EST

bioniclebrony? wrote:

@Dancing Ponies

I have a question: Why is this thread named Pony General?

My guess it would be to keep pony comments from drifting into other topics. Just a guess though.

bioniclebrony? wrote:

@Dancing Ponies

Because this thread is generally about ponies.

It covers all topics surround My Little Pony, and is a place for people to talk about it without a bunch of specific-focus threads popping up.

BulletproofBrony, Not Dead Melia wrote:

@Verbose

But Advance is our god, and he already took our virgins.

You keep believing that.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 06:59PM EST

Ah, it's time for the naming of the new thread? Lemme see what I can pull out…

KYM Pony General VII: Directed by JJ Abrams
-KYM Pony General: 7 Layer Zap Apple Dip
-KYM Pony General: 7 Deadly Parties
-KYM Pony General: Search for 3 1/2 Spikes
-KYM Pony General: The Seventh Wonder
-KYM Pony General: Ascend
Alicorn Tier
-Super KYM Pony General

I think that's about it…

@Lurker the Bioniclebrony

Originally, before the beginning of KYM Pony General, the brony phenomenon had just taken off. People were making stray threads about My Little Pony all over the forum. Of course, a lot of other forum goers were annoyed by this, because the threads were redundant and were a bit spammy with images.

So Trick Lobo (an inactive moderator) created KYM Pony General so people could talk and posts Ponies without getting on other users nerves.

Users were still annoyed, but after a year or two, users are at least less vocal about it.

…usually.

Oh horseapples, I kinda fucked up on that last comment. What it MEANT to say is:

KYM Pony General VII: Directed by JJ Abrams
KYM Pony General: 7 Layer Zap Apple Dip
KYM Pony General: 7 Deadly Parties
KYM Pony General: Search for 3 1/2 Spikes
KYM Pony General: The Seventh Wonder
KYM Pony General: Ascend Alicorn Tier
KYM Pony General: Giggle at the Deathly Hallows
KYM Pony General Se7en
Super KYM Pony General

Excuse the mess earlier, acquire dancing:

Next general name?
Okay:

Super KYM Pony General VII: >Implying that this friendship cannot talk about alicorn tier golden horse orbs that had taken our virgins and bask in our god RandomMan's Advance place where no pony has gone into the shed and dealt with it.

Perfect, don't you think?

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45PM EST

Twilitlord wrote:

Pony General VII: Twilight Sparkle and the Deathly Elements

geddit cause the 7th Harry Potter is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Pony General VII: The Deathly Hasbro

I don't know. I can't think of anything else.

Disty wrote:

Pony General VII: The Deathly Hasbro

I don't know. I can't think of anything else.

AAAAAH THAT'S GREAT

My final submission: Pony General VII: Twilight Sparkle and the Deathly Hasbro

Pony General VII: The Adventures of Rainbow Ash and Rapidash

Because… Pokemon deserves a Pun somewhere with this whole Gen six thing.

Other Possibilities include…

Pony General VII: Rainbow Ash and The Squirtle Squad.
Pony General VII: Advanced Generation, Hoenn Journey
Pony General VII: Rarity and the Crystal Onix
Pony General VII: Swarms of Fruit Zubat out of Nowhere

Also, One more for Homestuck.

Pony General VII: [S] Princess Twilight: Rise Up!

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

New topic!:

What Mane 6 characters can you relate to in terms of personality and the like?

and/or

What would you do to get to Equestria, if by chance it was real?

>Late to answering the question
I find that I relate to Fluttershy (I used to have crippling shyness), Pinkie (I just like her light hearted attitude), and Rarity (because I like clothing too).
I wouldn't want to go to Equestria unless I was a pony too

And yes, I have drawn pony versions of myself

@ Next forum name:
I like
Pony General: Stay Out of Our Shed
Pony General: >Implying we talk about ponies
Pony General: Can't Read My Pony Face P-P-Pony Face

Pony General VII: Wings of Pony
Pony General VII: Pony for the Pony God
Pony General VII: Are you a Princess Too?
Pony General VII: Kingdom of the Crystal Pony
Pony Gen 3.5Ă—2: The Horror

The seventh thread title should reference to Harry Potter. My pick is Pony General VII: Twilight Sparkle and the Deathly Harmonies. I would love to do Twilight Sparkle and the Half-Loved Alicorn, but this thread #7, not thread #6.

Well, keep coming up with new ideas or pushing the ones you've liked so far. I should make a poll at some point (or RM may. I don't think everyone's had a chance to give their ideas yet) so people can vote for the ones they like which will let us narrow the best ideas to the very favorite ones.

Either way, we're not in a rush. It'll still likely take a month-ish to get to 200 pages, and we can always change the title of the thread.

I very much like the name "Pony General VII: Die Pony Thread Die" Gee Kewln00b you're such a genius

Why thank you I know, so that's two votes for "Die Pony Thread Die" so I say that wins, I demand it!

Edit: In other news, we are now only a day away from the Rustlepocalypse. You think the doom and gloom will be true or do you think we were just overreacting a bit? Either way it's a new episode of pony…..the last new pony until fall…..son of a bitch.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 11:14PM EST

KYM Pony General VII: The Ride Never Ends

That's all I have right now.

Hard to believe it's been about two years or something since the first. With so many new users it's hard to remember which threads anyone was here for.

@General VII:

I say General VII: This Thread is Now Alicorns

Also, if you haven't seen "LET'S GO TO THE CASTLE!" Youtubes it. NAOW! (I'm on a crappy mobile phone atm and can't embed it. If somepony else could, that'd be great.)

In other news, we are now only a day away from the Rustlepocalypse. You think the doom and gloom will be true or do you think we were just overreacting a bit?

I don't think the episode will be any worse than any other episode. I'd bet money that it will feel rushed, because so much is going to have to occur from beginning to end.

I think the concern (at least for me) is that Twilight is set to be made a princess. Whether or not she's an alicorn, I worry about how her reign will play out (i.e., where does she live, does she still live in Ponyville, will she still read books all of the time or will she be busy with royal duties, does the slice-of-life nature of the show change, will there be any episodes without Twilight Sparkle, will the rest of the Mane Six be able to visit her and hang out with her as easily as they could just swing by the treehouse, etc.)

With my concept of "princess" that I've gathered from Celestia, Luna, and Cadance, Twilight will always be busy, absent, or in dire need of help, respectively.

So I don't think any of our (I'm more in the "worried" camp, although I can't bring myself to panic) fears will be put to rest until we're a few episodes into Season 4.

I think another fear others have is that the show is certainly seen to be more of a commercial. And it certainly feels like Hasbro has taken the success of the show to equal more potential success for the brand instead of the continued success of the show.

I think they feel that the writers can incorporate brand/toy/merchandise ideas without losing the quality of the show, and that the demographics are "mostly hooked." So even if the writers have trouble making the show excellent/have that same "feel" as it once did, the fans will stick around as long as the show doesn't flat out tank.

And to be honest, I think that's the case. As long as the Mane Six are around and they can regularly interact with each other in the show, then I think the current set of writers can make episodes that will still intrigue us, even if they have to rack their brains to figure out how to incorporate a toy idea into an episode without sacrificing the quality of the episode)

The alicorn is just a reminder that the show is, first and foremost, a toy commerical.

The first part is more what I worry about. I'm not saying that it's impossible to make Twilight a princess and keep the dynamics the same. And I'm not saying that it's impossible to deviate from the slice-of-life format where all of the Mane Six are equally as important and represented in the episodes.

But I'd (literally) like to see how the writers do that. I really felt like there was a lot to explore without Twilight being royalty first, but we'll have to wait until Season 4 to see that.

Warning: Source apparently has NSFW on the tumblr.

Last edited Feb 15, 2013 at 12:08AM EST

The alicorn is just a reminder that the show is, first and foremost, a toy commerical.
Umm I think we all knew that when suddenly that Train started appearing in every few episodes (whereas in the first season it was pulled by ponies as well.) or even….Cadence (who was actually a good thing, cause now little girls everywhere can enjoy having a White Princess Celestia toy now!). I'm sorry man but I find it hard to believe anyone would look at a tv show based off a toy (a show aimed at KIDS of course) and would look at it and think "Well this show doesn't look like it's advertising anything"

This is Hasbro man, the company that took its first two very successful cartoons (Transformers and G.I. Joe) and make movies based off them….where the plots of both movies was to kill off all the main characters to replace them with new ones if you didn't die inside while watching Optimus Prime's Death Scene you had no childhood. I'm alright with whatever Hasbro does with their show at this point because I know what I'm in for….as long as said thing doesn't kill the show, like them making that Made for TV MLP movie that kills off every named character (plus several background ponies lying dead on the street for extra body count and we all know for sure Derpy would be in that pile) except Spike and replaces them with brand new characters they expect us to instantly love and praise like the old ones never existed, THAT'S where I draw the line.

@Kewln00b

You draw the line at "Total Party Wipe"…Hmm…

That's a great spot to draw the line. However, if this show was a bit darker, one would be perfectly in their rights to make an exception for the case of the main characters going on a journey through the afterlife to get home.

…But this is MLP we're talking her, so fat chance of that happening.

Luna Protege wrote:

@Kewln00b

You draw the line at "Total Party Wipe"…Hmm…

That's a great spot to draw the line. However, if this show was a bit darker, one would be perfectly in their rights to make an exception for the case of the main characters going on a journey through the afterlife to get home.

…But this is MLP we're talking her, so fat chance of that happening.

Well no, what I draw the line at is not everyone getting killed (though seeing Fluttershy getting killed in a canon movie would probably put me in the hospital or something) it's like how they handled it in Transformers.
Transformers show season ends with all the characters
Transformers movie comes out killing off almost every character and replaces them with newbies
Next Transformers Season begins with new characters and the show pretending nothing ever changed and now Hasbro is saying THESE ARE OUR NEW CHARACTERS, YOU WILL LOVE THEM, DEAL WITH IT!
THAT'S what I'm talkin aboot.

UnKewln00b wrote:

Well no, what I draw the line at is not everyone getting killed (though seeing Fluttershy getting killed in a canon movie would probably put me in the hospital or something) it's like how they handled it in Transformers.
Transformers movie comes out killing off almost every character and replaces them with newbies
Next Transformers Season begins with new characters and the show pretending nothing ever changed and now Hasbro is saying THESE ARE OUR NEW CHARACTERS, YOU WILL LOVE THEM, DEAL WITH IT!

Transformers never killed anyone or anything. They couldn't shoot each other from 2 feet away.

UnKewln00b wrote:

Ah, so a "Total Party Wipe" that utterly disregards the importance of the characters being wiped is what's annoying.

So like Wiping the slate clean, throwing it out the window, buying a new slate and Saying "what old Slate?" every time someone asks about it.

Yeah, that would annoy me too.

Also, if you haven’t seen “LET’S GO TO THE CASTLE!” Youtubes it.

Also, for those of you still hopeful for Fighting is Magic, they recently tweeted a response to fans' concerns. Just, "Really busy backstage trying to sort this out." Not much, but I'm glad to hear them break the silence. No news is better than bad news.

Hard to believe it’s been about two years or something since the first. With so many new users it’s hard to remember which threads anyone was here for.

Been here since the first! It's really odd thinking back to when the thread almost got auto-locked due to inactivity. But when it finally got active, I skipped a few generals due to the fact that it was just image spam and no substance. I'm glad things have changed, because I greatly prefer the pony general of today where we can actually have serious discussions about the show narrow our image spam to nothing but Rarity and golden horse orbs.

@ KYM Pony General 7

I'm totally down for Rarity General, or Advance General 2. Otherwise, the Deathly Hasbro and Stay Out of Our Shed are both good ones.

@ PONY DANCE PARTY!

Thanks to Derpy Vasquez and the Transformers, it looks like we've got a good laser light show going for this dance. And since it has yet to be posted, here's the obligatory ponibooru dance party:

Last edited Feb 15, 2013 at 02:13AM EST

You know, I've been listening to music on spotify (free in MURICA), and I always hear a commercial for Advance Auto Parts. I always think of Advance for some reason.

Unfortunately my photoshop skills suck so I can't add Rarity to the auto parts.

Luna Protege wrote:

Ah, so a "Total Party Wipe" that utterly disregards the importance of the characters being wiped is what's annoying.

So like Wiping the slate clean, throwing it out the window, buying a new slate and Saying "what old Slate?" every time someone asks about it.

Yeah, that would annoy me too.

I think the only times they really ever referenced the whole 'Transformers Purge of 1986' in the show was (I might be missing some as I haven't watched the show since I was 7) was a few episodes involving the guy that got everyone killed and when they resurrected Optimus Prime due to all the soccer moms complaining.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!