Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

If you are epileptic or prone to having seizures, then you may want to avoid the images on this page.

suddenly the conversation changed into a different direction, I don't like changes, they confuse me

My sincere apologies for jacking your post, Galaxy.

-Verbose

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 11:36AM EDT

You know what I love about my dreams? They come with their own sound track.

You know what I hate about my dreams? I CAN NEVER REMEMBER THE MUSIC WHEN I WAKE UP!

I bring this up because I had a dream where the task for Winter Wrap Up fell to Fluttershy alone and she had to conduct for this giant bird choir to usher in the Spring spirits. It was some good music too, I wish I had remembered it long enough to write it down.

@Fifths

I CAN NEVER REMEMBER THE MUSIC WHEN I WAKE UP!

That feel bro…that feel…

The best DNB I have ever heard in my entire life all came from my dreams…I know this because I vividly remember the frustration of having all of it slowly and painfully fade from my memory just minutes after waking up.

(Should probably take this to the dream thread)

Anyway were raving now right? Raving

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 11:22AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Fifths

I CAN NEVER REMEMBER THE MUSIC WHEN I WAKE UP!

That feel bro…that feel…

The best DNB I have ever heard in my entire life all came from my dreams…I know this because I vividly remember the frustration of having all of it slowly and painfully fade from my memory just minutes after waking up.

(Should probably take this to the dream thread)

Anyway were raving now right? Raving

gotcha covered.

Yo.
Popping on in from my absence to announce a new fic.
No, not a Lunar Dawn sequel yet, but something I'm co-writing with Joe Amethyst.
It's a humanized crime fic, set in a metropolitan city. Rough times have hit the country, and gangs, crime, and vice have taken over certain parts of the city.

We're talking murder!

We're talking drugs!

We're talking prostitutes!

And I'm not sure if Megalolzors should read it! (not because I don't like you or you're new(ish) I'll PM you why)

Anyway, there's also unexpected enemies…

Tune in for more info! It's going to be amazing!

Well time to go…

what is this i don't even and i hate Katy Perry and isn't this song about her doing her boyfriend ya that real good for kids anyways
so i heard you were partying hard

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:

Yo.
Popping on in from my absence to announce a new fic.
No, not a Lunar Dawn sequel yet, but something I'm co-writing with Joe Amethyst.
It's a humanized crime fic, set in a metropolitan city. Rough times have hit the country, and gangs, crime, and vice have taken over certain parts of the city.

We're talking murder!

We're talking drugs!

We're talking prostitutes!

And I'm not sure if Megalolzors should read it! (not because I don't like you or you're new(ish) I'll PM you why)

Anyway, there's also unexpected enemies…

Tune in for more info! It's going to be amazing!

Well time to go…

Definitely reading this one.

@Ric Tesla
Yes now Pinkie can finally take you out of the picture for good. Pinkie will make you no more of a threat. The wings will help Pinkie to show. YOU what its like to be a earth pony fighting a pegasi! FROM THE EARTH PONY'S PERSPECTIVE OF COURSE! giggles

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 07:15PM EDT

Here's something I want an in universe answer for: Why the hell do all the ponies name their cities things like Manehatten, Canterlot, and Baltimare, you know, pony based names. It'd be like going to a country full of places named "Manville, Handtopia, Person city"

Maybe Equestria's city planners just are really shitty namers.

"Fuck, what do we call this place?"

"Well…ponies are going to live here so how about…Pony…ville?"

"Eh, that works, put it on the map. How about this city overhere."

"Hmm, well ponies will be there living there as well so maybe…Ponyville 2?"

"Nah, I proposed to Celestia that we just use numbers and she rejected it."

"Oh, well…twiddles hoof through mane how about…Manehatten?"

"…"

"…"

"BRILLIANT!"

Last edited Jul 21, 2012 at 07:32PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

Here's something I want an in universe answer for: Why the hell do all the ponies name their cities things like Manehatten, Canterlot, and Baltimare, you know, pony based names. It'd be like going to a country full of places named "Manville, Handtopia, Person city"

Maybe Equestria's city planners just are really shitty namers.

"Fuck, what do we call this place?"

"Well…ponies are going to live here so how about…Pony…ville?"

"Eh, that works, put it on the map. How about this city overhere."

"Hmm, well ponies will be there living there as well so maybe…Ponyville 2?"

"Nah, I proposed to Celestia that we just use numbers and she rejected it."

"Oh, well…twiddles hoof through mane how about…Manehatten?"

"…"

"…"

"BRILLIANT!"

Because it's just so PUNNY!

And it's still a kids cartoon. They need to appeal to their target audience.

@Fifths
Hey, at least you can attribute the city names to dorky, pun-obsessed weirdos (of which I am a proud member)!
How the hell do you explain Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Snips, Snails, and all the others ponies whose names match their cutie marks?
Psychic parents?
Some horrible kind of determinism?
WHAT?!

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Fifths
Hey, at least you can attribute the city names to dorky, pun-obsessed weirdos (of which I am a proud member)!
How the hell do you explain Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Snips, Snails, and all the others ponies whose names match their cutie marks?
Psychic parents?
WHAT?!

Here are some goofy names for human places I found:

Bridal Veil, Oregon
Bug Tussle, Oklahoma
Burns Down, South Carolina
Coward, South Carolina
Cut and Shoot, Texas
Cyclone, Texas
England (You know, Angle-land!)
Faggarts Crossroads, NC
Frog Suck, Wyoming
Firetown, Connecticut
Frankenstein, Missouri
Goblintown, Virginia
Gun Barrel City, Texas
Hell, Norway
Hopeulikit, Georgia
Howey In The Hills, Florida
Humptulips, Washington
Hurricane, Utah
Jot 'Em Down, Texas
Knockemstiff, Ohio
Looneyville, Minnesota
Looneyville, New York
Looneyville, Texas
Looneyville, West Virginia
Monks Hammock, Louisiana
Monks Misery, Maryland
Mormon Bar, California
Newfoundland
Nimrod, Minnesota
No Mirage, California
Pyro, Ohio
Rough And Ready, California
Scrabble, West Virginia
Slaughterville, Oklahoma
Snapfinger, Georgia
Spunky Puddle, Ohio
Storms, Ohio
Tarzan, Texas
Tightwad, Missouri
Toadsuck, Arkansas
What Cheer, Iowa
Wind Blow, North Carolina
Yazoo City, Mississippi
Zigzag, Oregon

And believe me, there are countless more. I'd say they'r naming conventions aren't as odd as they initially appear.

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Fifths
Psychic parents?
WHAT?!

I can explain that. Those ponies don't have special talents, so they just get a cutie mark that coresponds with their name. The only thing those ponies are the best at is being themselves, an empty and pointless tautology given as an excuse so that they could get a butt tattoo.

Oh God, I'm starting to think like Wittgenstein, somebody kill me before it gets worse.

@seizurmages; Cmawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-
hand slips off of keyboard

@ponynames: They work the same as pony genetics, I suppose; MAGICU. Don't question it. I personally buy into the theory that somehow they know what to name their child.

@Equestria; Bahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I'm going to hell for laughing at that, but god-damn.

@Twins

Far be it from me to pretend to be an expert on the swampy political situation in Africa, but I'm pretty sure South Africa is one of the few countries that isn't a war-torn hell hole. I mean ya, they had the apartheid thing and the country still has a lot of problems, but I don't think you're like to find mobs of machine gun wielding Equestrians.

So everyone likes to remark how strange it is how ponies are going from being such a whimpy girl thing to something that appeals to guys. My question is where in history did ponies, or rather horses in general, start to become a girly thing? I mean look at this.

That's Napoleon ushering his troops onward into battle, glory, and hell. Given the ratio of the man to the horse, one can safely assume that's a pony he's riding. This was a creature that fought and died with men on the battlefields.

Hell, even 50 years back when westerns were the shit, horses were still considered masculine, associated with cowboys and what not. My question is how did it come about that by the 1980s, this animal that for thousands of years was both the pinnacle of land transportation and a high tech war machine become a thing that dresses up and has tea parties?

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 01:14AM EDT

@Fifths
I think it really came along with the suburban-ization of large parts of the country.
If you talk to people in more rural areas (and even some not-so-rural), horses and ponies do still have a very rugged, powerful image for them.
It's just that in more urban areas, horses are no longer needed for labor, so they instead become more of a recreational status symbol.
You have to be pretty rich to own a house large enough to accommodate stables in the suburbs so they became associated with wealthy culture: garden parties, formal dress riding, polo, etc.
I can't say what the original inspiration for MLP back in the 80s was exactly, but I would guess it came out of that concept of class and privilege lending itself to more to the 'girly' side of pop culture.

Finally finished that Tumblr answer! Woo!

I wouldn't say it's particularly funny, but that wasn't the main focus this time around. It does however have nice clean Illustrator backgrounds and lots of dialogue. It is an ask blog after all, and I answer the hell out of this question.

Linky

Now I can get back to easy/silly stuff! Woo!

@Fifths:

I think horses and all of that are still masculine and tough, or perceived as such. They are some of the strongest animals alive, after all. I think it's just the MLP ponies that are feminine and seen as such, for good reason, considering their origins. It's not really a surprise, to be honest.

@Giga:

HA!

I was the third question.

@Fifths
Oh come on. That's a really old pic that's hilarious because of how satirical it is.

When did ponies become girly? Well, horses and ponies have traditionally been distinct in my knowledge (although you'll probably have to ask dac). While horses did all the badass stuff like ride into battle, ponies were content to stay at the farms for little girls and boys to play with. Ponies are diminutive horses after all, and it entirely makes sense that they don't receive the same amount of reverence larger horses do. Even today, mentioning horses is completely different from mentioning ponies. There's a completely different connotation for each of the words.

But as for the real girlification, it most definitely came about with the introduction of the original My Little Pony series in 1983. As one of the most popular toy lines to have ever been created, it's only fitting that the public began associating ponies with girlyness.

To take a more modern day analogy, vampires. Once thought of as being astoundingly badass creatures of the night that subsisted off the blood of human beings and brought fear upon the masses, today they're seen as sparkly pricks that girls are hot for, and feed off animals because they're so nice and sexy and every girl in the world should date a vampire, like right now kind of thing.

Thanks a lot, Stephenie Meyer.

YES I DID LIKE TWILIGHT WHEN IT CAME OUT

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 02:28AM EDT

Gigatoast wrote:

Finally finished that Tumblr answer! Woo!

I wouldn't say it's particularly funny, but that wasn't the main focus this time around. It does however have nice clean Illustrator backgrounds and lots of dialogue. It is an ask blog after all, and I answer the hell out of this question.

Linky

Now I can get back to easy/silly stuff! Woo!

you answered my question! liking it so far, keep it up :D

also, i'm "theshamelesslurkingfaggot" :P

I don't know about you guys, but when I was younger I knew SO. MANY. GIRLS that were obsessed in every sense of the word with horses. Not ponies, full blown horses. It kinda ruined the idea of liking them for me until recently.

@fifths

Horses a very much a masculine thing still associated with rodeos and cowboys. Ponies are the "girly" ones. And as twins said, they are very distinct. I don't know If I've ever met a person who thought horses were girly, most people are actually terrified of getting close to them. Ponies are smaller and tend to be more timid, easier for children to handle.

@Horses being feminine

I think it's just that, to most of us, the horse has gone the way of a status symbol. Back in the day, a horse was either a practical means of transportation and the like, or an intimidating presence on a battlefield, and so on. Sure, racing horses are generally riden by men, but look at the clothes they wear! But I say that in jest; there are plenty of manly, equine-based activities for us men to enjoy.

Gifs, man, those gifs do not like Soarin's color scheme. So I won't post any here.

But more Flash builds! There's no way you people aren't sick of them yet.

Also, by the way, according to deviantArt, it's MillenialDan's birthday.

Edit @Verbose, below

I wouldn't say it'll never be as popular, since I'm not the best at reading those sorts of things. I think what MLP had going for it was irony, that a bunch of grown men were enjoying a show for little girls. That, in turn, draws a lot more attention and a lot more people, because it's so unusual. While Gravity Falls still wasn't made for the grown men demographic, it doesn't focus on colorful ponies that have been viewed as the epitome of feminism since the 80's.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 02:22PM EDT

Fridge wrote:

You guys put a warning on the first post of this page, and yet there are barely any flashing/strobe images. I am disappoint.

Covering our bases, Fridge.

If you look at the first few posts, then you'll see that there are quite a few Party Hard gifs. I don't know how long the exposure needs to be for a person with epilepsy to be affected by such images, but I'd rather err on the side of safety.

What do you lose by seeing that warning? What does the epileptic lose by seeing those gifs? Pros and cons of both, I don't regret the decision.

If the entry has a warning for the same reason, then why shouldn't a page with several gifs have the same warning?

Um, Why won't Gravity Falls be as successful as FiM?

Hit me.

@Nightmare Moon: Yes, that picture is quite awesome, and I sure hope Luna or you show up in Fighting is Magic as they advance with more characters.

Also, speaking of horses, someone posted a link to a game on Steam earlier, and lol, I bought it anyways. It was a buck, so I figured why not?

Hey. I haven't been visiting this website in a while, mostly because I've been trying to avoid spoilers. I hate spoilers. For example, someone spoiled part of the ending of The Dark Knight Rises for me before I saw it on Friday, but that's beside the point. I'm really excited for season three, I've even had dreams that I was watching the latest episode of MLP on TV (I usually have weird dreams though, I recently had a dream about a giant snake with the head of Twilight Sparkle). Does anyone know the exact date when season three premiers? I'm guessing one to two months from now

(This is where I would post an image, but I can't seem to find any MLP/Dark Knight Rises crossover)

@verbose

You dare talk ill of gravity falls?!? I rebuke thee! You have incurred my wrath!

Serouisly though, toy sales are going to make mlp the more lucrative show. I do think viewership will be in gravity falls favor though. A lot more people have disney channel than the hub and it airs at a more convenient time for Tweens, young adults, and adults. Plus, it's easier to get people that are over 10 to watch a show like gravity falls than My little Pony. That's not to say its bad, but candy colored ponies aren't really mass appeal. Still, bronies will always be talked about more because of the nature of the fanbase and the show they like. Spongebob surely had way more people watching it and wearing its merchandise in it's hayday, but the news never talked about "spongies". Who knows which will be more popular, as long as they don't cancel ethier one, I don't care.

@pyro
"Disney always fucks up"

Quality.
I dont care if hasbro makes four more MLPs, disney will always be the apple of my eye.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 02:34PM EDT

Disty wrote:

Hey. I haven't been visiting this website in a while, mostly because I've been trying to avoid spoilers. I hate spoilers. For example, someone spoiled part of the ending of The Dark Knight Rises for me before I saw it on Friday, but that's beside the point. I'm really excited for season three, I've even had dreams that I was watching the latest episode of MLP on TV (I usually have weird dreams though, I recently had a dream about a giant snake with the head of Twilight Sparkle). Does anyone know the exact date when season three premiers? I'm guessing one to two months from now

(This is where I would post an image, but I can't seem to find any MLP/Dark Knight Rises crossover)

As for Disney, yeah, they're good, but IMO, a lot of stuff on the Disney channel is horrible and can't compare to FiM, not by a long shot.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 02:43PM EDT

Remember that comic I posted earlier about the blind

Also the episode "Dog and Pony show"?

Well I did some research, and there is some truth in television.
"Pit Ponies" were ponies used to drag carts around coalmines- chosen for their small stature and surefootedness (Shetlands were popular). They often went for months without seeing sunlight, only coming to the surface for holidays. The ponies being blind from being trapped in darkness is just an old wives tale like alligators in the sewer, though they sometimes did wear sunglasses so the sun wouldn't hurt their sensitive eyes.

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 03:21PM EDT

-
Yeah, my mind is full of Fluffy-Pony shit. It’s incredible what you can learn about Fluffies with a few Green Text Stories and Drawnings.
Let me share something I learned about Fluffies: The act of “copulate” it’s called Special Hugs.
Really, I didn’t invented that!

Finally home…

Anyway, I said to tune in for moar of the fic lore, and here it is:

The characters, being in a humanized fic, age the same as humans. Final ages have been suggested, and will be discussed in the other tabs. Also, from discussions with Joe, there's most likely no magic nor wings. This setting is five years after country-wide economic and social hardships started.
Spike and Shining Armor are the main protagonists. Spike is obviously no child in this one, and is described as being twenty-two at the beginning of the story (a number taken from math of something from a draft from a part of the story Joe and I wrote). He's now working for the Guard (the nation's main domestic criminal defense). Shining Armor retains his role as Captain, and is described as being twenty-nine, along with Cadence. Both Spike and Armor work together to stop the antagonists throughout the story.
FINAL WARNING Believe it or not, its the Mane 6. As a result of the economic hardships, all their lives got ruined and were forced to take up illegal work. Formed into a mafia under Twilight Sparkle, they've worked themselves up to the point at the beginning of the story where the Guard seeks to stop them for good. Professions: Twilight Sparkle is the mob boss. She uses skills she learned before being disowned and dishonored by Celestia five years prior to run an effective mob. She uses the money earned/stolen by the rest and puts it in a collective treasury (though we may add that the rest get to keep a percentage of what they earned/stole). Twilight is nearly heartless now as a result of what happened, and doesn't care for nearly anyone except the rest of the Mane 6, whom she considers family. Applejack is a bootlegger and brawn behind Twilight's brains. After her family lost the farm, she started making and selling illegally spiked cider, and does other things for the mob as well. She's also pretty hard and cruel. Rainbow Dash is an underground and illegal racer, often cheating and sabotaging to win. She went down when she failed to become a pilot, the grief driving her to a life of underground racing. Dash is not so much as cruel as indifferent, not really caring what happens. Pinkie Pie is a drug pusher and dealer, using and selling. She got fired from her job for drug use, and her life went down. She mostly follows the rest and doesn't question anything. Fluttershy is the hitperson (it's always the quiet ones…). I'm not sure how her life was ruined yet, but whatever happened would cause her to take up the firearm and do business at the end of a smoking barrel. She is absolutely heartless, and is Twilight's fist. Last but not least is Rarity, who is…a prostitute. Yep. But she's a high-end one, charging hefty sums for her pleasures, so that only rich and corrupt noblemen/civil servants can afford them. Her life went rough around the same time as the rest when her dresses fell out of demand as a result of economic hardships. She found that her new 'job' paid a lot more and she started working for Twilight, entertaining rich and corrupt clients and earning a lot of money for the mob. She's the only one who really isn't malicious or cruel, preferring to stick to her job rather than get tangled up in anything else. She hasn't murdered anyone. Therefore, she's the least antagonistic.

So, now I go…

Last edited Jul 22, 2012 at 07:27PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!