Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

Fine…

Happy now?

In other news:
An odd titling system recently confused some people in regards to the MLP premier.

Who are these Strawberry Elves?
Well, turns out that it's actually the name of a short cartoon played in between re-airings of the two pilot episodes during the Hub's special line-up and has nothing to do with the content of the upcoming season.
All settled.
Then, MLP's head writer Meghan McCarthy happened.

(Yes, it's real: Twitter)
If anyone ever wondered whether the staff was aware of Cupcakes, here's your answer.
Can't stop laughing!

How long until someone draws it?
I'd say we'll have something within 24 hours.

Last edited Aug 31, 2012 at 05:44PM EDT

You know what I've been wondering now? Why pairings like:

Get started and become so popular. I mean… Deadpool and Pinkie, Fluttershy and Spiderman, Twilight and… Mordecai? Okay… I just wonder how these crack pairings get started and spread into some weird sorta memetic mutation pairing…

Well… see that ramble up there? That's why I'm not here as often as I used to.
Anyway… with this short unnecessary post that provides absolutely nothing to current topics, I leave to praise the sun.

PRAISE THE SUN, MOTHERFCKERS!*

Alright guys, no more fooling around. It was funny for a little while, but it's not funny anymore. Look at our last page, LOOK AT ALL THE SCOOTALOO

clerly someone is using his satanic powers to turn all of pony general into his mindless thralls and produce Scootaloo pictures. Something needs to be done about this before he gets even deeper into our heads. I WILL NOT BE TURNED AWAY FROM THE PATH OF THE TRUE BEST PONY FOR SOME ORANGE IMPOSTER!

So yes, the solution is simple. We need to kill the Deadparrot.

Only one question…how does one kill that which is already dead?

Last edited Aug 31, 2012 at 09:26PM EDT

Hello, bronies. I am back from my vacation from the cancer that just so happens to be at its peak during summer. Anyway, it seems that the crack pairing of Optimus x Celestia has been brought up, so I shall just mention this:

Couldn't find anywhere else to post this but….

I came to a sudden realization when looking through google images of "Brick" from Borderlands I found this

Dear god….

@Slinker
Pinkie and Deadpool actually makes a disturbing amount of sense.
Listen to this and tell me they weren't made for each other:

As for other crack shippings, how about RD with Mrs. Potts?

Or this one is good: Sweetie Bald and SlenderMane.

… I got nothing…

@Fifths
But, Fifths… dear Fifths…
Go back and look at the last page, my boy.
It was, in fact, you who initiated the repeated drawing of Scootaloo by warning us to brace ourselves.
Certainly, I cannot be blamed for an action you took entirely of your own free will, can I?

Last edited Aug 31, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT

Alright guys, I'm a page late, but screw the rules I have an unsharpened pencil and some lined paper. Brace yourselves for some horrendous pony doodles:

Highlights from my roommate's reaction upon seeing this:
"Why is Apple Bloom morbidly obese?"
"Lol unsharpened pencil"
"Wait, wasn't Rarity the marshmallow?"

Although I may suck, I'd at least like some constructive criticism, on my "art". Hell, destructive criticism would be fine too. I just want you to tell me where I fail and how I would go about fixing that. I haven't legitly drawn anything in ages, and I actually had a lot of fun in the 25 minutes that it took me to do these. I'm convinced that I have at least modicum of latent artistic talent in me, and maybe if I got a little (okay a lot) better, I could start a drawing thread and get raped with kramaz like Sui and Nats do. That's like my lifelong dream. But I'll need your help. Mostly Muumi's because everyone else fails almost half as hard as I do.

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 01:27AM EDT

@Drawing (yes, I'm late to the party)

You guys… draw… ponies? You just draw them? But then how do they move?

That's right. Five. Minutes. Of. Ponu.

Twins wrote:

But I’ll need your help. Mostly Muumi’s because everyone else fails almost half as hard as I do.

But why would you need my personal tutelage, when you could just write "X" and "Tutorial" on the search box of DeviantART?

Or you could just use this link, and save everything there to a special reference folder. I also recommned you to take good screencaps of the different characters on the show, and save some stuff from the higher profile artists for use as reference (color, poses, etc).

Personally I took my biggest influences from the "Ask Pinkamena Diane Pie" blog back when I started drawing ponies.

I'm not sure the style is all that visible in this for example, but at least I know it to be there.

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 03:40AM EDT

Yeah, that was more of a ploy to see if I could get you to come out of hiding by simply mentioning your name somewhere in a post (again).

I knew about that link. I've just been too lazy and busy, mostly lazy, to start working through them. The thing is, with me, I really hate doing things the same way as other people, because it seems just so banal and prosaic. A guide is like the ultimate paradigm of this. Do this, do that, copy this, copy that, etc. I hate it. I know it's hypocritical and stupid, but it's another one of those weird idiosyncrasies I have that make me me (aka retarded).

That might be why I quit drawing those long years ago. I couldn't stand the fact that every did the same crappy animu style things that I did, and try as I could, I couldn't draw in any other way, so I gave up.

But yeah, I think I get it now. You need to start out with a good foundation, know the basics, etc. Only then can you can develop your own style (sounds like I'm taking my own advice from Mex's writing tips thread). Like Muumi took the Pinkamena Diane Pie style and turned it into something wholly his own. The influence is there, but only really noticeable if juxtaposed together. It all is clear to me. I know what I must do now.

Draw ponies.

WhiteDiamondsLtd, brace yourself.

That being said, discussion topic time. Do you guise prefer the work of artists that have their own unique style, like Muumi, or that of artists that are near show-accurate, like Ivan?

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 04:43AM EDT

^Unique style, it allows to draw and add elements to the art that wouldn't be possible with just the show accurate drawings. Emotions, background, etc, creating a fitting mix is a lot easier with a unique art style.

For example, take that comic with show accurate drawings. Would make it a lot harder to create the same level of humor and the "I have no idea" expression.

What's this? Are we talking about self-drawn ponies?

Awesome, I've been meaning to do something else with this thread other than the usual chatter (Considering how I have absolutely nothing to say here until season 3).

Homebrew drawing gives my brain something else to chew on and makes for an interesting thread topic. I think it would be cool to see this whole thread try to draw a pony and post it. I don't care how crappy it is, DO IT FOR THE LULZ!

Let me see what I can sketch in the next 10 minutes without references

…where did I put my pencil?…WHO TOOK MY PENCIL!?

Art discussion time?

It'll sound like a bit of a cop-out, but the subject matter is what dictates the art style. Art done in the spirit of the show should be done in the style of the show. I'll use Ivan's comics as an example; they're the same sort of innocent humor you get out of the show, and they are drawn very much like it, which I think helps with the humor. If he had done them in a more unique art style, it wouldn't have translated as well. Using the same art style as the show isn't being lazy, it's used to summon forth the same light-hearted humor you get from the show.

@Drawing: I can't draw worth shit in MS Paint so I won't try.
Might draw something if any of you really want to see what I can try to make…

@They know of Cupcakes: Whelp.
At least they haven't responded too negatively, so…

@Fifths: Easy. Shoot it until it stops moving.

@Mex: FUCK YEAH BRICK
EH PUNCHES EXPLOSIONS AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING

@Crackpairs; A pebble from TomxCanterlot Castle's left turret.
BITCHES AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME

@Twins: A unique art style, easy. Because it means you put effort into making your own kind of drawing.

ExudesAffluence wrote:

Art discussion time?

It'll sound like a bit of a cop-out, but the subject matter is what dictates the art style. Art done in the spirit of the show should be done in the style of the show. I'll use Ivan's comics as an example; they're the same sort of innocent humor you get out of the show, and they are drawn very much like it, which I think helps with the humor. If he had done them in a more unique art style, it wouldn't have translated as well. Using the same art style as the show isn't being lazy, it's used to summon forth the same light-hearted humor you get from the show.

mm…I disagree slightly.

Art done in the spirit of the show doesn't need to be done in the style of the show. Art that is done not within the spirit of the show should not be done within the style of the show however. While I agree that it would be odd to see someone like the .mov series done in the style of the show, I see no reason why someone who wants to draw comics in a similar light-hearted manner as the show should feel restricted to show style.

I seem to vaguely remember a tumblr about Diamond Tiara as editor of the newspaper done in a newspaper style, very similar to the show in tone but much improved by the stylization.

I've actually drawn a few pony comics myself. Since I'm still very much an amateur, I find myself copying the style of the show religiously, and interestingly enough, I find that my own normally course humor has been tempered by the fact that it would be odd to see show-style ponies making bawdy jokes and displaying pointed wit.

Edit: Oh, I'm bored and feel like drawing stuff. Does anyone want a ponification of themselves? Send a description or photo and colors and a pose you'd like and I'll make a pony out of you.

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 05:52PM EDT

@Sparty, Cupcakes
Oh, they've always known…

@Art Styles
Honestly, I like both.
Perfect show accuracy really helps pull you in and convince you that these are the canon characters so as long as the writing keeps them relatively consistent with canon, it can add quite a lot.
AskTheCrusaders does this very well.
For people exploring topics outside the scope of what the show could do or who are tweaking characters in unusual ways, an altered art style can really help get those ideas across.
AskPinkamena's dark, kind of sketchy style was perfect for the corrupted version of Pinkie that it featured.
It all depends on what the artist is going for.

@Fifths

Oh, wait…
You already did…
On fire…

@Fifths

Oh, I’m bored and feel like drawing stuff. Does anyone want a ponification of themselves? Send a description or photo and colors and a pose you’d like and I’ll make a pony out of you.

Try and do one of me bucking your computer off your desk.

Click here for reference of what I look like ponified

@Drawing

I am seriously daring everyone to get a pencil out and sketch a pony (photoshop is cheating). Me and Twins did it.

Last edited Sep 01, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT

I've stopped drawing ponies. Too simple and not enough depth for me.

That and I don't feel like transferring my traditional art skills to digital.

So I'll give you guys two things I drew two months ago.

I also don't have a scanner and only have an android, so forgive the quality.
Here's a kirin ponified:

And Wildfire riding her dog into battle (why yes I was on drugs):

@Fifths

Someone trying to capture the spirit of the show doesn't have to use the show's style, it's just a very helpful way to do so. It's entirely possible to do that with your own unique style, but I think it's just a bit more difficult. But if someone can do that, they should go for it.

@More drawings

I don't draw nearly as many ponies these days as I used to. Nowadays I just draw them to try to get any new positions to look right, so they never have any detail or anything like that. And fuck wings. I can never get wings to look right. This is from three days ago, and is part of an über-secret possibly fan fic-related project that I'm working on.

(Spoiler alert, it's Firefly)

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 02:47AM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

@BSoD:

I once tried to draw a pony.

I burned that abomination. I had to. It had to be cleansed from this Earth.

Lemme guess.

It came out looking like a horse?

But that horse was Sarah Jessica Parker.

I cannot draw more than stick figures. My artistry level is about that of a… guy.. that can't do art? Blarg. I wish I could draw ponies though. That would be something I will really like to get into. Fan art and such.

It's officially my one year anniversary of joining this site. My first post isn't for a bit longer, but whatever. I've been here since PG1 and man have we come a long way. Most of you guys have been here a lot longer, but still, this is the longest I've ever been in any online community ever and it's been kind of awesome getting to interact with a lot of you and meet so many interesting bronies. That being said, I know my participation in this thread has been… minimal, to say the least. But when you have a maximum three hours to spend on the computer a day between 8 AM and 10 PM (else the computer locks you out), plus seven hour work shifts, High School, Community College courses, Church activities, Track & Field, and parents that don't know you like ponies, it can be difficult spending time on an online forum to the extent that you can really get to know everyone and stay involved enough to stay relevant. As a result, I find myself wondering something. How am I viewed here? What do you guys think of me? I know some of you like it when I post, but I am genuinely curious about what you guys like (or dislike) about my posting habits. Since I have been here a whole year now, I can't help but feel like it's time for me to progress a bit further in this community. So please, if any one of you would like to assist me with my queries, PM me or something. I just want to know what you like or dislike about me and my posting habits so I can be a better poster here.
Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 11:54AM EDT

ExudesAffluence wrote:

@Fifths

Someone trying to capture the spirit of the show doesn't have to use the show's style, it's just a very helpful way to do so. It's entirely possible to do that with your own unique style, but I think it's just a bit more difficult. But if someone can do that, they should go for it.

@More drawings

I don't draw nearly as many ponies these days as I used to. Nowadays I just draw them to try to get any new positions to look right, so they never have any detail or anything like that. And fuck wings. I can never get wings to look right. This is from three days ago, and is part of an über-secret possibly fan fic-related project that I'm working on.

(Spoiler alert, it's Firefly)

Prepare for the deluge of fans.

@Parrot, Cupcakes:

@BSOD: I'm gonna have to turn that down. I'm closeted enough as is, I don't want physical evidence suggesting I like ponies, even if nobody's ever gonna find it.
If MS Paint isn't off-limits then I suppose I could try to whip something up in there.

As for today's picture;

A gift to Alejandro.

Verbose wrote:

So ExudesAffluence did post his movie thing. Meh.

Big deal, rigOh, wait.

Unless I'm late or something, congratulations, Affluence. Embrace the horde of new fans.

"Flag it cuz it has ponies i it"

It's attracting hate and poor grammar, which means it is a great success.

Edit @Solaire, below

Pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 01:13PM EDT

Y'all have seen me draw ponies a long while back, so I'm not too keen on repeating that…

Mainly because they were sub-par. Mainly because DEM FUCKING PROPORTIONS N SHIT.

Anyways, in regards to crack pairings:

Dinky

and Pinkie

Why, no, I am not obsessed with GW2. Why do you ask?

Edit: But I don't think I'm the only GW2 player that likes ponies. The devs have added a lot of references that are kinda blatant. I ran into a human kid named 'Apple Jack' in an orchard the other day.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 01:01PM EDT

So I was at Target earlier (for you non-North Americans, it's a big supermarket) getting some stuff today, and I was about to check ou-BACK THE F**K UP.

IS THAT A MOTHERF***ING PINKIE PIE CARD?

HO

LY

S**T

IT'S A MOTHERF***ING PINKIE PIE CARD.

You might be saying "So what, it's a Pinkie card." Well look again.

IT TALKS.

PINKIE WANTS TO TELL YOU HOW GODDAMN AWESOME THE PARTY SHE'S THROWING YOU WILL BE.

I didn't buy it, though. I'm kinda cash-strapped till my paycheck next week. If any of you have a birthday, though, I WILL FIND YOU A PINKIE PIE BIRTHDAY CARD.

Oh, and that drawing's coming up soon. I'm deciding what subject to draw, and besides, I'm the Grandmaster of the Order of Procrastinators. We're meeting sometime tomorrow, we still haven't nailed down a time yet, but we will soon.

Last edited Sep 02, 2012 at 06:11PM EDT

Stargazer wrote:

As a result, I find myself wondering something. How am I viewed here? What do you guys think of me? I know some of you like it when I post, but I am genuinely curious about what you guys like (or dislike) about my posting habits.

Dude, just post. We're supposed to be having fun here, it's not a country club where there are standards or anything that we need to maintain. :P

Twilitlord wrote:

So I was at Target earlier (for you non-North Americans, it's a big supermarket) getting some stuff today, and I was about to check ou-BACK THE F**K UP.

IS THAT A MOTHERF***ING PINKIE PIE CARD?

HO

LY

S**T

IT'S A MOTHERF***ING PINKIE PIE CARD.

You might be saying "So what, it's a Pinkie card." Well look again.

IT TALKS.

PINKIE WANTS TO TELL YOU HOW GODDAMN AWESOME THE PARTY SHE'S THROWING YOU WILL BE.

I didn't buy it, though. I'm kinda cash-strapped till my paycheck next week. If any of you have a birthday, though, I WILL FIND YOU A PINKIE PIE BIRTHDAY CARD.

Oh, and that drawing's coming up soon. I'm deciding what subject to draw, and besides, I'm the Grandmaster of the Order of Procrastinators. We're meeting sometime tomorrow, we still haven't nailed down a time yet, but we will soon.

September 27th

I'm looking forward to that damn card.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!