Forums / Discussion / General

170,186 total conversations in 5,454 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

@Sparty

I’m gonna have to turn that down. I’m closeted enough as is, I don’t want physical evidence suggesting I like ponies, even if nobody’s ever gonna find it.

Oh well, back to the the TF2 thread

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:32PM EDT

I would totally draw a pony using traditional art, but I’m too busy coughing and changing residence. Soon, though, soon….

And I would totally want a Pony b-day card. Mine was back in July, but it wasn’t much of a party in this thread sadly.

Speaking of this thread, I’ve totally been wanting to post a large number of words on something I noticed recently, but as stated above, just too busy. I’m afraid that’s all I got. Totally.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 12:00AM EDT
Sep 02, 2012 at 11:59PM EDT

I got some drawings on my profile wall in spoilers if you want to peak but I rarely draw so they are not of all that good quality.

But anyways:

I knew this would happen and I love it!

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:14AM EDT

@Dan
You know how some people hate on Fluttershy?

I think it is a copping mechanism so that they don’t die from her cuteness.

@Ric

GREENSKIN SCUM!

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 12:19AM EDT
Sep 03, 2012 at 12:15AM EDT

Imagine you’re a regular old pony hating joe (s)trollin’ down the street, when suddenly you come upon this:

(insert impossibly well timed DeadParrot222 mfw pic here)

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:33AM EDT

@Twins
This pleases the Chalky Mark Crusaders!

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 03:46AM EDT
Sep 03, 2012 at 03:46AM EDT

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Twins
This pleases the Chalky Mark Crusaders!

And sitting here I was thinking “‘CHALK IS DEADPARROT’S WEAKNESS

But then this image appears:

>mfw

Sep 03, 2012 at 04:11AM EDT

@phoenix
Don’t mess with the best, baby! HOO!

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 04:54AM EDT
Sep 03, 2012 at 04:53AM EDT

so i just got back from PAX Prime today, and let me first just say… what an awesome experience! now, i could ramble all day long about how awesome PAX was, and i probably will on my wall (since i love to hear myself talk), but i’m bringing the event up here because of some very encouraging things i noticed in relation to the fandom.

to provide some background context, i was also at PAX Prime 2011, and while there i only saw a grand total of two bronies among the crowds. there were a few more Enforcers who were bronies that i had the pleasure of meeting, and one Applejack cosplayer, but that was pretty much it for brony presence.

however, this year i saw an impressive amount of bronies, several mangitudes more than last year. almost anywhere you looked you could usually find at least one person sporting a brony accessory, usually a shirt or button. there were far more cosplayers this year, and it seemed that several more Enforcers were bronies as well.

to me, this was a very hands-on way of seeing just how much the fandom has grown in size between last year’s PAX and this year, both in terms of numbers and in terms of resources. i would wager to guess that part of the reason why i saw so few brony shirts/clothing last year may have been because distribution of brony products was a bit more difficult. nowadays, there are lots and lots of different online venues selling brony equipement, all sorts of things from ipod cases to hats. thus, far more people have this stuff to display. it’s not like the fandom has actually grown 25 times larger in the span of one year. however, i still bet that there were several times more bronies at this year’s PAX than last year’s, and they were willing to show it.

long story short: there were lots of bronies at PAX and it was just yet another reason why the Penny Arcade Expo is awesome.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 05:09AM EDT
Sep 03, 2012 at 05:07AM EDT

You know what I realize? There’s a criminally low number of fan-art of the windigoes.On google images searching either “windigo mlp” or “wendigo mlp” returns the same ten results actually depicting them. This gives me a sad.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:22PM EDT

@Windigo
This Tumblr, TWILIGHT UNBOUND, has been doing an entire storyline with some semi-significant windigo involvement.
I believe that it’s still on-going, too, so there will likely be more windigo action at some point though it is primarily a kind of werewolf plot.

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT

Did someone say “drawings”?

Here’s something I drew:

More to come, cropped and in higher resolution.

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:57PM EDT

@BSOD: I did say I could try to MS Paint something.

@Millenial: I would gladly brofist Fluttershy if she asked.
If anyone here wouldn’t, they have no souls.

@Ric: He’z gon’ stomp yas all.

@Twins: The devastating explosion of hate would be seen from space.
It would truly be glorious.
Also that chalk drawing is very, very well done.

@Parrot: Jesus H. Christ…

WHO ARE YOU

And today’s random character;

Crackle.
Someone tell me that I’m not the only one whose first though on seeing him was “OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING KILL IT KILL IT NOW”.

Sep 03, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

September 27th

I’m looking forward to that damn card.

Challenge Accepted. Check your KYM inbox.

Sep 03, 2012 at 03:25PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Okay. That’s it. I fear no pony, but that parrot…

Aww, there’s nothing to be afraid of.
Now come over here.
I have some rainbows for you.

Hey, did anyone here play Ponymon, the Pokemon redesign with ponies from a while back?
Well, they (finally) updated again!
Alpha version 0.3 is out today!
HERE’S THE LINK
Go and catch some ponies!
(The creators are saying that you may run into some bugs, especially in Dawn, so there could be another version released relatively quickly to fix them.)

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:30PM EDT

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Aww, there’s nothing to be afraid of.
Now come over here.
I have some rainbows for you.

Hey, did anyone here play Ponymon, the Pokemon redesign with ponies from a while back?
Well, they (finally) updated again!
Alpha version 0.3 is out today!
HERE’S THE LINK
Go and catch some ponies!
(The creators are saying that you may run into some bugs, especially in Dawn, so there could be another version released relatively quickly to fix them.)

Sep 03, 2012 at 09:00PM EDT

@RandomMan

Oh btw, laziness finally caught up with me and i’m not drawing ponu anymore

Sep 03, 2012 at 09:59PM EDT

Windigo with salad wrote:

You know what I realize? There’s a criminally low number of fan-art of the windigoes.On google images searching either “windigo mlp” or “wendigo mlp” returns the same ten results actually depicting them. This gives me a sad.

This goes for Timberwolves too. They looked awesome!

My guess is that Chrysalis and her Changelings stole the villain show :(

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:22PM EDT

@Sparty

I did say I could try to MS Paint something.

Excellent. I want to see it. Get your draw on.

The Doctor is also expecting results

Do not disappoint him.

Last edited Sep 03, 2012 at 11:25PM EDT
Sep 03, 2012 at 11:24PM EDT

@Windigo

Hey yeah, your right. Windigoes (and Timberwolves) were pretty bitchin, it does kinda suck that they don’t get much attention.

I may draw something tonight to. No really. (We’ll see).
Sep 04, 2012 at 12:53AM EDT

Alright, I’ve managed to procrastinate to the point where I no longer have the scanner, but I’ll draw it tomorrow and take a picture of it with my phone/ipod. I promise. But if any of you have a subject you’d like to see, it would make my decision somewhat easier.

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:58AM EDT

Pttthhhhp, hey guys if you’re wondering why it hasn’t been Tumblr time in a while, well class just started back up and I haven’t really found the time. :(

I’ll try to work it into my regular schedule, then I can get back to regular updates.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:53AM EDT

Thread is artfag thread. So enjoy some more steampunk-esque Firefly (or space cowboy Firefly, if you’re into Firefly). It’s been forever since I colored anything traditionally. And my color palette was severely limited, so the shirt isn’t the color I intended it to be. I’m trying to take up digital airbrushing, though it’s not going well, so I just continue to draw.

I just took a picture with my phone, because to scan it would mean I have to get up.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 02:12AM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 02:07AM EDT

For my drawing, I decided I should help combat the Wendigo and Timberwolf art shortages and realized juice box and sock pics of them probably didn’t exist, so…

uh…

this happened.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 03:12AM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 03:11AM EDT

Disturbed B wrote:

Would you guys stop drawing already? I feel left out…

Inb4 Muumi hops on and owns us all.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:45AM EDT

I was just randomly giving it a shot yesterday.
Took me five damn tries to draw something vaguely ‘circle-ish.’

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:46PM EDT

So, I drew this for deadparrot:

(ignore her swelling right eye)
Still haven’t got around to reading those EQD tutorials yet, but evidently I’ve got this whole copying poses thing down. Here I come vectors!

Circles?

The sad thing is I actually was trying at first.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 03:10PM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 02:48PM EDT

Hey, Twins.

Twins.

Hey, Twins.
Look over there!

How dare you say that you suck more than I do, then post that!
(This is my way of complimenting you while simultaneously calling you a jerk. Good job!)

You guys are going to make me try again, aren’t you?

Fine, I’ll give it another go tonight, but I make no promises about actually posting it.
If it ends up as crappy as I expect it to, it will never see the light of day.

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:11PM EDT

Am i the only one around here, who thinks that this is creepy as hell?

It is undoubtly well made, but Twi on the leash is just so wrong.

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:14PM EDT

@Whitish
Given the nail polish on that hand, I’m pretty sure it’s a play on this:

Which quickly led into the fan theory/joke that Twilight wanted to be Dash’s pet.

I get what you mean about it being a little creepy (She is a fully sentient being getting treated like an animal and all), but at times it’s just cute as hell, too.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 04:31PM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 04:31PM EDT

I’m a closet brony, and my friends at school would eat me alive if they knew of my love of the show. It’s only here on KYM that I feel safe and that I can truly be accepted by the community, because a lot of them are bronies too. Thank you, Pony General and KYM. Brohoof.

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 07:48PM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 07:48PM EDT

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:

http://knowyourmeme.com/forums/general/topics/17881-my-semi-permanent-retirment

No offence, but since you tend to only post here, you didn’t need to make a thread about you leaving for a while. A post here would have been fine. RandomMan has made his feelings quite clear about those types of threads anyways.

Sorry to see you go, hope you come back soon.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:09PM EDT

@Twins and Deadparrot

I know this makes me a terrible and lazy artist but I just don’t bother with circles at all. Circles are too hard

I find it easier just to look at some reference images from the show and copy what the Studio did. I:E: Tracing over some of their artwork, replicating their lines/strokes/etc. After doing that enough times, I just got it in my head what pony anatomy looks like and now I draw straight from memory.

Pros: I learned to draw ponies fast

Cons: I’ll never achieve show-accuracy

But when it comes to just having some fun on a forum thread, I figure the speed is more important than the quality, so maybe give that a try. It might work for you, it might not.

Now Dash, that was not very nice. You could have hurt someones feelings, plus you aren’t a perfect image yourself you know. Apologize right now young missy.

@Disturbed

But this is so much fun! I love this thread topic

Last edited Sep 04, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT
Sep 04, 2012 at 11:19PM EDT

GUYS

I actually drew something! And for a first pony drawing, it isn’t half bad.

Sorry about the bad quality, I had to take it with my iPod without much light and for some reason the ISO decided to smudge her tail (it wasn’t a very thick line).

Yes, I used a reference. Why wouldn’t I? I feel like her legs are a little too long, I am just stumped on that back leg, and her mane was hell to draw, but it’s probably one of the best drawings I’ve done in a while.

And I have no idea what you’re taking about with circles, I free-drew the whole thing.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 12:09AM EDT
Sep 05, 2012 at 12:05AM EDT

@BSoD:

Another Con: Circles are the basis of all drawing, not learning them means your drawing skills will always plateau, never increase :P

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:22AM EDT

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Twins and Deadparrot

I know this makes me a terrible and lazy artist but I just don’t bother with circles at all. Circles are too hard

I find it easier just to look at some reference images from the show and copy what the Studio did. I:E: Tracing over some of their artwork, replicating their lines/strokes/etc. After doing that enough times, I just got it in my head what pony anatomy looks like and now I draw straight from memory.

Pros: I learned to draw ponies fast

Cons: I’ll never achieve show-accuracy

But when it comes to just having some fun on a forum thread, I figure the speed is more important than the quality, so maybe give that a try. It might work for you, it might not.

Now Dash, that was not very nice. You could have hurt someones feelings, plus you aren’t a perfect image yourself you know. Apologize right now young missy.

@Disturbed

But this is so much fun! I love this thread topic

(click to embiggen)
There was actually supposed to be a joke in there somewhere. I blame 9gag.

@BSOD
Well, the way I draw, I use a circle for the head, and then I build upon it with the mane and stuff. It helps, it really does. For the body though, I just do whatever, and it usually ends up looking like a cancerous mass.

@Twilitlord
This is exactly where I was going with the circles. Right now, Fluttershy’s head looks sort of like Sarah Jessica Parker, and that’s not what you want for a pony. Use a circle base for insta-20% better artwork. And yeah, the legs should be about 1/3 shorter. Not bad though.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 01:36AM EDT
Sep 05, 2012 at 01:28AM EDT

I’m no artist, but guidelines and circles help so much it’s ridiculous. It’s the differance between having a 5 day full body workout routine with an excellent diet and buying the perfect pushup or whatever other as seen on tv bs. One will get make you stand out from the crowd, the other you’ll plateau really fast. Same with guidelines and freehand. My sister and my best friend are really good at drawing and have no problem drawing without any referance pics. That’s because they sketch it out with circles and lines to keep the proportions perfect. I suggest to anyone who wants to really improve their work to invest time in drawing circles. You’ll see an instant improvement in your work. Just my two cents on the matter.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:52AM EDT

Trollkeeper wrote:

I’m a closet brony, and my friends at school would eat me alive if they knew of my love of the show. It’s only here on KYM that I feel safe and that I can truly be accepted by the community, because a lot of them are bronies too. Thank you, Pony General and KYM. Brohoof.

YOU LIKE PONIES?

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:54AM EDT

Yeah, so I can’t draw.
Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
I have thus turned to GIMP to try to see if I can do anything there.
As my first little project, I decided to digitize Exude’s Firefly from a few posts up.
The original is up there, and here’s my version.
(Didn’t actually ask permission, but I hope you don’t mind Exudes! Not claiming the work as my own!)

picture hosting

Yes, it sucks, but his was my first try and I was basically learning all the tools as I went.
I also forgot to actually make it bigger…

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:57AM EDT

@Twins

Remember the part where I said I can’t really draw? That has a lot to do with it. I pretty much free-drew the whole thing, totally redid several parts a couple times, etc. Also, it’s the first pony I’ve ever drawn. With people, I have more of a guide that I’ve used, but I don’t have that with ponies – if you have a good base/guideline reference, you should link it. I would give you ALL the karma.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:13AM EDT

Since this post is now irrelevant, I will keep it here simply so people will see the stuff on the next page.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 02:34AM EDT
Sep 05, 2012 at 02:28AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!