168,633 total conversations in 5,403 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

@Vazquez

“I’ve seen enough. Ensign take us out of orbit” [QUEUE DRAMATIC INTRO MUSIC]

(Sorry just had to add the appropriate quote for that image)

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:56AM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

Happy 12-12-12

Huh… Guess we’re still here…

Although the 2012 doomsday nonsense isn’t going to be done with for another week and a half I guess, it is somewhat disappointing that the signs of doomsday stuff happening haven’t even shown up yet.

Regardless of whether the world ends or not, this wait for the old Doomsayers to be right or wrong is dreadfully boring…

And now for some Dividing by Zero that is slightly more likely to end the world if it took place.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:04AM EST

Happy 12-12-12! And do you know what that means? NOTHING!

Derpy Vazquez: Hell, It’s about time! Finally the World Year is ending. Personally, I don’t think anything will happen in the day 21. The max will be people spending ALL their money in strange stuff…

Does anyone have any info in the next episode?
Obligatory Picture:

HNNNNNNNNNNNG!

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 01:30PM EST
Dec 12, 2012 at 01:28PM EST

@Bruno
Since you asked:

Synopsis first:

Some scenery:

And then there’s this from that commercial a while back:

So yep, Dash episode!
Should be fun to see how she handles herself in this situation.
Depending on how they choose to do it, having her realize that the Wonderbolts may not be for her could be a very interesting character development point.

Might as well add something for the people who don’t want spoilers, too!

Hey, anyone want a job making ponies?!

(This can also be seen as a non-specific confirmation of a season four just in case anyone still had any doubts about that.)

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 02:30PM EST
Dec 12, 2012 at 02:24PM EST

Did anyone else notice that the two episodes surrounding the one we’re missing info on (I think it’s seven and nine, with eight being the missing one) are scheduled on sequential weeks? So we have seven one week, nine the next week. When exactly are we getting eight then?

(Source.)

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:19PM EST

Wow, this is the slowest I think I’ve seen this thread go for a while. Did we run out of topicxs or something? well how about this: Theme songs for the mane six. This has probably been done plenty of times before, but I wasn’t around for it.

Rainbowdash’s would definitely be this:

I feel like this one fit’s Twilight very well, and even describes her personality kinda well, right down to her freakouts.

I’m having trouble finding one for Rarity. I’m thinking maybe something by Portishead, but nothing is really popping out to me.

What do the rest of you have for the remaining ponies? (their Fighting is Magic song is cheating.)

Last edited Dec 12, 2012 at 11:48PM EST
Dec 12, 2012 at 11:46PM EST

@Blind Follower
Yeah, this place really dies every once in a while.
Most likely just a convergence of conflicting schedules.
I’ve been busy most of the evening.

ON TO THE NEWS!
For those wanting to avoid spoilers for the upcoming episode, BEWARE WHAT YOU CLICK ON!
It seems that we have another Hearts and Hooves Day incident where the entirety of next week’s episode has been leaked and is currently popping up all over the net.
Browse with caution!

In other news, bronies took over and won out the TV Guide poll for ‘Best Fandom,’ beating out Doctor Who and The Walking Dead.
Full Article is Here
Realatively standard write-up, but it’s always nice to see ponies in the media!

But wait! There’s more!
According to Google Zeitgeist (that tracks Google search trends), Derpy Hooves made it to fourth place in the ‘Toys’ category.

Yeah, that means that she is the fourth most popular search term when it comes to toys.
ALL TOYS
Like, on the whole planet
That’s pretty awesome!

And another!
I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with Runescape (I know I’m not), but it looks like one of their recent updates added some pretty big pony shout-outs, going so far as to name six new islands after our favorite equines!

Another video game developer has succumbed to the might of the bronies!
BWAHAHAHA!
… or someone on staff likes the show.
One or the other.

Well, I guess it’s off to bed for me then!

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 02:07AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 02:06AM EST

As a heads up for those who don’t like spoilers, it seems like the next episode is loose on the Internet. A lot of screenshots are floating around according the EqD. So be on your paranoid A-game.

Also, from the blog that I love but never updates:

Spoilers: It will probably involve more fire than expected.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:49AM EST

Just saw Wonderbolt Academy,
since the ep hasn’t officially come out yet I’m just going to show a pic encapsulating my response:

First thing, the episode seemed to just reek of both shipping and rainbow factory fuel- it will be interesting to see how the fan base responds.

Secondly, everything about this episode is fantastic,
Admittedly, at first during the first scene in Spitfire’s office where Rainbow is complaining about being #2 I thought “ugh, this is going to be one of those episodes”. However it turns out that the story revolves around something completely different. Plus it was written by Merriwether Williams of all people. I think after this episode all of her neigh-sayers will be silenced.

Thirdly, I’m expecting a 57% increase in TF2 pony crossovers because of this episode.

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 03:17AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 02:54AM EST

I’m waiting for the HD upload. Which I believe will only happen after the official release of the episode.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:26AM EST

@DeadParrot

That Runescape thing is hilarious. They had to know it would be long before that was noticed big time.

Also, that Derpy toy thing. Are you seeing this Hasbro? Quit being such a baby about putting her in the show!

@Leaked episode

Just watched it.

This episode was bugging the heck out of me and my brother, prompting us to wonder aloud who wrote it. Then Windigo pops up and says it was Merriweather Williams, to which I pretty much exclaimed WELL NO WONDER! Funny stuff.

First of all, the PinkiexDash fuel was enormously excessive, and was making want to throw things at my monitor.

There were odd canon-breaking moments, like when Dash caught them with that cloud. Um yeah, only pegasi can stand on clouds. In Sonic Rainboom, that fact was considered important enough to make a big deal out of it, but this time, nothin’. It just happened for some unknown reason.

Another thing, why did Fluttershy need saving? She can fly on her own for goodness’ sake. In the past, she’s routinely helped Dash save the others in these kinds of moments, but this time the writing was contrived to make Dash the sole hero. Psh.

No friendship letter again, because apparently that’s just so eighties.

No Derpy. At all. To say that’s absurd in an episode like this doesn’t even cover it, especially considering DeadParrot’s news.

Spitfire’s new voice is meh.

If those nitpicks didn’t bother me already, the episode also felt weirdly out of sync for Rainbow Dash. I’m all for character development, but in many ways she didn’t even sound like herself. Instead of showing even a hint of nervousness at the thought of whether she’d be accepted in the academy, which would have been reminiscent of Sonic Rainboom, she acted completely nonchalant about it. I’m not saying she should have been freaking out, but come one, she should have been at least a tiny bit anxious.

I didn’t exactly mind seeing a more mature Rainbow Dash. As a matter of fact, I’ve been wanting that very thing to happen. But, the way that it was handled was rather maddening to me. She was portrayed as though she was a responsible, considerate pony, as if it’s always been that way. It was jarring; she almost felt like a brand new character.

I may have a hard time explaining why that felt so out of place, but I’ll give it a try.

With her partnership to Lightning Dust, she was basically paired with an earlier version of herself. Rather than relate to that pony the lessons she’s learned about behaving recklessly, endangering others, being overly competitive, and so on, she basically takes on a somewhat judgmental (and perhaps even hypocritical) tone. Okay, so if she’s changed, have her explain to Lightning Dust what she’s learned. It really did feel like a pot-calling-the-kettle-black kind of thing. Hm.

No doubt, the Dash fans will be all over this, talking up how much she’s grown and such. I still think it felt really strange, but mostly because of how they juxtaposed Rainbow against her little clone like that.

Sorry dude, but this was not my cup of tea.

Was there anything I like about this episode? Well, I liked seeing Tiny again, a.k.a. Snowflake/Horsepower/Roid Rage, as well as Thunderlane, Cloudchase, and that Star Hunter guy. (All those repeat characters just made Derpy’s absence that much more noticable, however.) The overall militaristic tone of it felt a little strange to me, but I still liked the idea of a Wonderbolt Academy. I’m on board with the idea of Dash acting her age, even though it was really kind of funky how they did it. That’s pretty much it. It wasn’t completely terrible, but so far, I’ve enjoyed the other season three episodes more.

In short,

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 06:35AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 06:24AM EST

Okay… Dash is now well on her way to becoming a Wonderbolt. Her dreams are now. Within Grasp.

… But then… That’s kinda a big continuity move. She’s officially a Cadet?

I mean, that’s some anti-status quo right there. And though it may allow them to say “Not a Wonderbolt yet”, it’s too close enough for me not to say her dream is in full swing.

It would be like if Rarity suddenly got one of Noble Blood as a Boyfriend, and they decided to take it slow. Or even more, it turned out Spike was Noble Blood, and Rarity started Dating him.

Or if Twilight suddenly became a…

…Oh…

Um…I’m not entirely sure what the rest of the main 6’s stuff would be… so…

It’s like the CMC got their Cutie Marks! Yeah, let’s go with that!

Besides all that, I have to say, I like the Cadet Outfit. It’s Awesome

Over All opinion?

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 07:22AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 07:21AM EST

Shoot. I saw some pics of it in the image gallery, but thought they were either from an Fanimation or from an official teaser. Despite not having good internet where I live, I do get the HUB, and don’t have a scheduling conflict that would prevent me from watching it when it aired. I guess I’ll have to stay out of the Image gallery for a while.

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:26AM EST

@Leaked episode

>Rainbow Dash episode, ready and waiting.
>Rainbow Dash episode
>Rainbow Dash

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 10:53AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:53AM EST

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Unfortunately, she may be gone… Forever…

Did you forget about this?

Sure, it may not be a deliberate shot like we’re used to, but there are not other existing Pegasus models that match at all.

Honestly, people worrying about it bothers me more than her lack of screen time. I will certainly enjoy if she gets more shots, but I’m not going to get upset if she doesn’t. Also, she got a special spot (with a box of muffins no less) in the IDW comic book, and had at least three different covers where she featured prominently. Also, there is the increased presence of Merchandise of her.

Edited because I forgot it is IDW, not TDW. Also I do like her, and part of me would love to see her have a greater role. However, seeing the interesting situation Hasbro and the show felt they had, I think that the show may have gone with a better safe than sorry approach for the newest episodes, as I think they were in production at or right after the “issue” popped up. I don’t think complaining is really going to fix anything. If our “letters to Hasbro” had an effect, it was months ago.

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 11:34AM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:06AM EST

@Jacob

I don’t mind saying without a spoiler that Derpy was nowhere to be seen in the new episode. This is blatant exclusion as far as I’m concerned. Like it or not, she has fans, and it’s not a crime for those fans to find it annoying to see her get the shaft like this in the show. Seriously, seven episodes in and THAT’S the best we got? Bah.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:22AM EST

Watched the new episode, but I have one serious gripe…

http://i.imgur.com/GnIDh.png!

WHY DIDN’T IT HAVE MORE OF BEST PONY?!

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 12:50PM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:39AM EST

So each of the Mane 6 have some destiny?

Rainbow Dash – Become a Wonderbolt
Rarity – Marry into Royal Blood
Twilight – Become an Alicorn?

What could be the destiny for Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:54AM EST

Are you guys discussing something from the episode?

Because it seems like you are. Something that would occur in other episodes too.

So not only are you discussing spoilers from the leaked episode, you’re discussing content that will appear in later episodes. Trying really hard to not get sarcastic here, because that would just be mean, but if all of the people not wanting spoilers won’t get you to shut up about it, then I guess you just don’t give a crap about them.

Not that you have to. Not like any one or any force is going to make you, right? So why would you restrict yourselves for random people on the Internet, hm? Why would you ever restrict your fun for the sake of others when there’s no punishment to prevent you from doing so?

And I’m not going to punish/edit everything, because spoilering or not spoilering isn’t against forum rules. I figure I should expect that from some humans, I guess.

With that in mind, I’ll be back come Saturday. Have fun with your spoilers!

But seriously: – respect points from Jacob, chowz, and SnowGazer. There are only a few things that get me upset, but one of them are people (who after being told by multiple others, not only me) who just don’t consider other people’s feelings (especially within a community context.)

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:02PM EST

@Mane 6 destinies

Actually, if they have any sort of final destiny, I dare say they all turn into alicorns. Twilight will just be the first to achieve it. It’d be a bit problematic if only Twi becomes a demigoddess, don’t you think? What with that causing a pretty sever imbalance in the cast. One is immortal, the others not. That would kind of destroy their ability to interact as friends, at least on the same level as before. Not to mention the practical problem of what’ll happen when the others pass away. Do the Elements pass to new bearers? Do they become forever useless? Either way, nasty implications abound.

I recall some of you very much dislike the whole idea of Twilight ascending, since not only would it cause the aforementioned shift in dynamic, it would also be the death knell for the show. However, I wouldn’t consider either to be all that bad, provided they are handled properly.

While it might indeed signal the end of the show, that end need not be immediate. It would, however, require a dramatic chance of pace. Instead of the light-hearted slice-of-life with a sprinkling of high adventure every now and again we have now, it would shift to the opposite, Adventure with a touch of slice-of-life. Why? Because the focus would now be on the others fulfilling their destinies and achieving ascension to alicorn, rather than dealing with everyday problems. It would certainly make for a very different show, but would that be so bad? Faust’s original vision was, after all, an adventurous show, and since they (and we) have spent so much time building these characters up and becoming attached to them, it would make for a dramatic, powerful narrative.

Ah, but I seem to getting ahead of myself. “What’s all this ascension stuff you speak of?” I hear you ask. Well, assuming Twi does indeed become an alicorn, the only reasonable method for fixing the massive imbalance this will cause between the cast members that I can think of is to make all of them alicorns. Now sure, this could be done at the same time Twi ascends, but I think that’d be a bit of a cop-out. As I said earlier, pushing the cast into an adventure where the stakes are high and the characters come to realize their full potential would make for a very powerful narrative, since we’re so invested in said characters.

But of course, this all does hurtle us towards that inextricable and terrifying prospect, the end of the show. Unfortunately, the sad fact of the matter is that the show has to end eventually, no mater what is done. And would it not be much better for the show to go out with the sort of bang that will be remembered for generations to come, rather than slowly but surely come to a coughing, sputtering stop after seasons of sub-par episodes?

And who says the universe has to stop when the show does? Here we have an intricate, fully realized setting ripe for many more stories. Perhaps the next generation of My Little Pony will not begin on clean slate as it always has before, but instead will be once again set in Equestria, perhaps in a different time-period and part of the world, focusing on a new group of characters, not necessarily composed entirely of ponies this time around. That, too, would make for an interesting narrative, no?

Oh, and in case anyone’s been wondering about my recent absence, let’s just say that I’ve got grudges against a certain language for a reason.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:45PM EST

Irrelevant story:

>sick at home

>logs into YouTube to see something

>sees suggested channels

>#1: Tiarawhy

>mfw:

Might as well post something relevant:

Derpy, gone or no?

Answer: I think Hasbro is leaving Derpy more of a fan thing than risking putting her in the show again as a front-line pony. People can’t say anything for something that is just in the fandom. Her lack in S3 may be a direct cause of the ‘controversy’ ( which is why she wasn’t edited out of S2, due to the fact all those episodes were already made).

So, Derpy’ isn’t exactly ‘dead’. It’s a precaution for now.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:24PM EST

Leaked episode? normally I’m against these things, but this is wonderful! This friday I’m going on a cruise, which I’m sure will be fun, but on it I will have no internet and therefore no ponu. Now I get an episode right before I leave! I hope Hasbro is ok with their episodes being leaked though. how did it get leaked?

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:01PM EST

Hey guys! Trying to avoid spoilers like I am? Why not watch this video in the meantime?

That’s right, I made a new PMV instead of studying for finals. If you would please tell me what you guys think, that would be much appreciated.

Dec 13, 2012 at 05:29PM EST

Someone PLEASE tell me how to correctly make spoilers with text in it.
Last time I tried, it fucked up and all it did was make the text smaller.

I will not respond to the new episode until I am able to make correct spoilers with text in them.

Dec 13, 2012 at 07:49PM EST

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

Someone PLEASE tell me how to correctly make spoilers with text in it.
Last time I tried, it fucked up and all it did was make the text smaller.

I will not respond to the new episode until I am able to make correct spoilers with text in them.

Press enter after <div class="spoiler" title="Spoilers from episode">

This:
<div class="spoiler" title="Spoilers from episode">

Words 'n stuff
</div>

Not this:
Words 'n stuff
</div>

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 07:59PM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 07:55PM EST

Verbose wrote:

Are you guys discussing something from the episode?

Because it seems like you are. Something that would occur in other episodes too.

So not only are you discussing spoilers from the leaked episode, you’re discussing content that will appear in later episodes. Trying really hard to not get sarcastic here, because that would just be mean, but if all of the people not wanting spoilers won’t get you to shut up about it, then I guess you just don’t give a crap about them.

Not that you have to. Not like any one or any force is going to make you, right? So why would you restrict yourselves for random people on the Internet, hm? Why would you ever restrict your fun for the sake of others when there’s no punishment to prevent you from doing so?

And I’m not going to punish/edit everything, because spoilering or not spoilering isn’t against forum rules. I figure I should expect that from some humans, I guess.

With that in mind, I’ll be back come Saturday. Have fun with your spoilers!

But seriously: – respect points from Jacob, chowz, and SnowGazer. There are only a few things that get me upset, but one of them are people (who after being told by multiple others, not only me) who just don’t consider other people’s feelings (especially within a community context.)

Verbose is gone, I’m taking over again.

Banhammers for every spoiler!

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:04PM EST

chowzburgerz said: “Rarity – Marry into Royal Blood”

Rarity is a strong independent white mare who don’t need no stallion.

@The new episode release
That was fast, at this rate season 3 will be over by New Years if they keep spoiling it. I will not talk about the new episode because I already saw it, but I will not spoil it. So until Saturday:

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 08:28PM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 08:06PM EST

My gift to you

Oh by the way, new episode is really good. Might just be the best one this season. The end is really something.

If you’re feeling curious…

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 08:16PM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 08:10PM EST

I have to watch this now unfortunately before anything get spoiled. I will wait until Saturday though to discuss any detail.

Last edited Dec 13, 2012 at 09:40PM EST
Dec 13, 2012 at 09:10PM EST

So, I gave into watching the new episode.

MFW

I’m completely serious. I was expecting to fanjizz all over this, but instead I found it to be easily the worst pony episode yet. I’ll give a full rant on Saturday once it’s aired, but if you want to know what I think, just check out Dan’s post. I agree with just about everything he said.

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:43PM EST

Fifths wrote:

So, I gave into watching the new episode.

MFW

I’m completely serious. I was expecting to fanjizz all over this, but instead I found it to be easily the worst pony episode yet. I’ll give a full rant on Saturday once it’s aired, but if you want to know what I think, just check out Dan’s post. I agree with just about everything he said.

…Really?

I was able to get past all the points Dan Mentioned without feeling annoyed by the episode one bit.

And then, you do have to remember a point someone else made: There are several writers for these episodes, and they all have different opinions on how to work with each character; and each has a different approach to cartoon physics and Equestria’s physics, or at least some suitable hand-wave.

I feel like those who have found fault with this episode are just nit picking.

Just remember the MST3K mantra, and you’ll get through the episode fine.

… Personally, this is in the running for being my favorite episode.

Not that I’ll argue the point at this stage, since I see the criticism of it to be kind of petty; which indicates it will be hard to sway anyone’s opinion at this point.

Edit: Your Image is Disturbing, Here’s some Juxtaposition… And by that I mean Kawaii.

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:45AM EST

Spoiler-free new episode opinions ahead, read at your own risk.

@ZeroBlue

Hey come on now, that’s not cool. I gave an honest opinion, and I even tried not to come off as being too negative. I wasn’t being “petty” at all, I was being a critic. Honestly, I felt like being more harsh than I was. If you disagree, make your points, but don’t just downplay my opinion.

I realize not every one wants to scrutinize a kid’s show, and that’s fine, but I see no reason why I can’t. Doesn’t matter if it’s a movie, a game, or a cartoon, I like to examine which parts I enjoyed and which parts I didn’t.

Anyway, I don’t really see the fact that there are different writers as a very good reason to blow off the way they handle the characters. I try to examine each individual episode for its own merits and weaknesses, but since they do all belong to the same show, I think it’s perfectly appropriate to compare them to one another as well. Even as the show progresses evolves, there still needs to be a sense of homogeneity to it, whether there are multiple writers or not.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Fifths says about it, because he can probably verbalize why it felt really off better than I could.

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 06:19AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 06:03AM EST

@Dan

I’m sorry if I came across as condescending…

But it’s just that when I watched the episode, any and all faults that I saw that you mentioned fell within what I considered “Acceptable Margin of error”.

Although looking back at what you said, only two things stick out that may need addressing (Either that or my attention span is shot) And neither of which bother me.

Oh, before I forget…

1:The “Canon Breaking Cloud trampoline” is acceptable to me because A) it’s a training camp in the sky where half the camp is made of clouds, and therefore it can reasonably be assumed that Twi and the others had cast their spell thingy. (Whether or not Dash knew this is a different issue, but not one that bothers me) and B) What’s to say condensed clouds at least can’t produce tangible upwards force in Equestria? In fact, if Dash was going to just put a cloud beneath them and stop them, what need would there be to compress them?

2:Dash’s behavior seeming weird in juxtaposition to a “earlier version of herself” is not a bad thing. In fact, for me, it felt it drove home the point that Dash is trying to mature, but finds it hard; especially when she ends up going along with the “immature” version, but regrets it, yet we can feel that earlier in the series, we wouldn’t be surprised if she had tried those stunts on her own.

… hang on I got distracted from the main point… Take 2!

2/2: Dash having variances in behavior is acceptable, as it would be in any human; nobody is likely to act 100% consistently. But so long as we understand why, it’s not a problem. In this case, Dash not acting nervous to the possible letter is probably due to the fact she’s had two years to get over any Anxiety issues. Add to the fact that both previous times she turned out okay, and that only in the previous times was there a chance of looking stupid in front of others, and that this time, the only risk was of her having to apply again another year… You get the picture. Acceptable variance due to multiple factors.

3: Her being depicted as if she was always a responsible considerate pony? I’m… Just not seeing that, sorry. What I saw was Dash Giving in to Peer pressure, and was struggling to find the will to call out her peer as a jerk. But more importantly, she kind of just snapped after the end, and stormed out in a fit. Mature? Responsible? If that were true, she wouldn’t have done those things in the first place. And the fact she regretted those things when she finally snapped was more of an epiphany if anything.

…But that’s Personal opinion.

What I’m trying to say, and was trying to say last time, was that I didn’t really see the points presented being any kind of Negative issue. Partly because of “Acceptable Margin for Error”, and partly because of my own perspective.

It’s my opinion, I know, but I feel if one is going to condemn the episode on points that for me feel so minor, then they’re taking the whole thing too seriously.

Looking back at your post, I should say, none of what I said is directly pointed at you, cause If I recall, your opinion on the episode was decidedly neutral. Which is acceptable I guess.

…Fifths on the other hand, is going to need a lot more than just pointing at what you said to justify the opinion of “Worst Episode Ever”.

That’s the entire point of what I posted, Not that Nit-Picking was bad, just that it’s not good enough justification for Extreme statements of Condemnation. You didn’t condemn it, Fifths did.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:55AM EST

I just read the comments in KYM’s top 10 fandoms of 2012. So much butthurt in the comments. I feel like that one issue with Bronies is that they feel that they have a superiority over other fandoms. Do you guys feel that Bronies have superiority complex when it comes to fandoms?

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:27AM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

I just read the comments in KYM’s top 10 fandoms of 2012. So much butthurt in the comments. I feel like that one issue with Bronies is that they feel that they have a superiority over other fandoms. Do you guys feel that Bronies have superiority complex when it comes to fandoms?

… Um… Everyone has a Superiority Complex. It’s just some people have different outlets.

As for proclaiming our fandom as the best, if that’s what you’re asking… I have no idea. Every fandom at this point has some claim to fame, so none of them can truly claim themselves as the best. But people will still say that of their fandom anyways.

Everyone likes to stroke their own ego. It’s just some are more vocal about it; while others sit in a dark room by the fireplace drinking wine and wearing smoking jackets.

My point is, if you don’t have some level of superiority complex, you probably need to see a Therapist.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:36AM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

I think that the main problem with the article was mainly directed towards the author’s biases, at least in my opinion because there is no real way to measure the success of a fandom unless it is able to cater to the needs of the fans, which all fandoms are designed to do. Even if I was to take this ranking system seriously, Homestuck is rated way to high if we are going by popularity or what ever unit of measurement Amanda was using, One Direction would have been 1st or 2nd if this was going by popularity. Another problem with the list is that it lumped all of the fandoms together into one category even though they should belong in different categories, that was a bit lazy on the behalf of the author. Overall, the article kinda sucked and reeked of bias which should never had been there in the first place. Now, I am going to get ready for the criticism of my comment.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:42AM EST

Windigo with salad wrote:

Press enter after <div class="spoiler" title="Spoilers from episode">

This:

Words 'n stuff
</div>

Not this:
Words 'n stuff
</div>

Wait, so what is the difference here?
I’ve tried to work it out many times. D:

See:

No?

EDIT: Okay, it works. Thanks, man.

Anyways, about the leaked episode:

It wasn’t BAD to say the least, but the overall notion of the episode felt strange.
Especially for Rainbow Dash’s character. I don’t know what the writer was thinking but Rainbow Dash felt completely different in that whole episode. ALTHOUGH I do like to see Rainbow Dash mature and such, the sudden change in her character caught me off guard.
Damn it, where’d her juvenile side even pop up in that episode???

Also, there are going to be terrible fanfics and shippings about this when it officially airs on Saturday, so good luck.

(This is coming from an RD fan, so it must be disappointing. I find this episode to be, EVEN IF IT HAD THE WONDERBOLTS IN IT [at least one of them], lacking in plot and character development.)

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 10:57AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:49AM EST

Watched the new episode early, because fuck is it hard for me to settle in on Saturdays.

I thought it was pretty cool. I Liked how they went boot camp style with it as I’m always interested in military references.

Also Apparently some people on other sites thought Pinkie was super annoying in this one, however I often find myself over-thinking things like that so I chuckled a few times. Also I thought the pinkiedash moments were adorable. So yeah.

I thought dan had some pretty solid opinions. If anything though I have to say something about the ending. They built the academy up to be the pony equivalent of boot camp, where bashing the core values of the establishment and essentially telling your drill sargent to suck it wouldn’t get you a medal regardless of why you told them to suck it. I understand why things went down that way and I’m glad dash didn’t get kicked out, but up until then I liked how appropriately unforgiving it was. As we’ve seen in secret of my excess we can assume the wonderbolts are supposed to act as some kind of emergency defense force, after all.

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 11:59AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:37AM EST

@Zeroblue

The thing that really attracts me to mlp more than anything else is that it features good writing in a culture where that has become a rarity. Mlp has excellent humor, great characters, interesting plot lines, novel settings…

The reason why I regard the new episode as the worst yet is because what you call ‘nitpicks,’ I call incompetent writing. This episode lacked drama, logical clarity, and strong thematic integration. These are basic elements of story telling, and their lack made this episode come across like an amateur’s fanfiction.

And that’s not even getting into how badly out of character Dash is. The greatest flaw of this episode was its bad writing, but there was a lot of injustice done to Dash and to a lesser extent Pinkie Pie in this episode.

Are there a lot of annoying nitpicks to be made? You bet there are, but what really makes this episode the worst one yet, in my opinion, is that it just fails at storytelling.

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54AM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:53AM EST

So, from what I’ve gathered from the discussion here (and not seeing the episode or reading spoilers), the episode is either the one of the best of season three, or the worst of the entire series… I am assuming it was at least fun to watch, right?

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:58PM EST

@New episode

So yeah, Fifths and I actually had a pretty extensive discussion about this episode and I’m in pretty much the same boat as he is: This episode had some significant problems that just made the whole thing feel very… off.
Dan, I do find myself agreeing with your larger points, but I’d like to first address a couple of your nitpicks.

Cloud Catching: Yes, that was an issue for me as well, but I feel that that was really a pretty minor point, all things considered.
Twilight casting the cloud spell on everyone makes enough sense to me that I wasn’t too bothered by that.
What did get to me was Dash’s reaction.
I would expect her solution to be much more… direct than it ended up being.
As it was, Dash had to identify the problem, assumed that Twilight would have planned ahead with the cloud spell (not unreasonable, but not terrible likely for Dash), and then based her plan around that assumption.
It felt like they were going more for a cool visual rescue than one that really made sense.
Still a relatively small problem on the whole though.

Fluttershy: Criticizing them for Fluttershy’s portrayal isn’t really fair for two reasons and is basically my only direct disagreement to your post.
It’s been shown that, when scared, her wings tend to lock up (Dragonshy) so not being able to fly while terrified is pretty in-character for her.
(Yes, she did have a good reaction when the cliff collapsed in the pilot, but most of the other times that she’s flown while scared have happened only when Dash literally drags her into the air.)
Even taking her fear out of the equation, it is perfectly easy to imagine her being unable to fly from simple disorientation.
Earlier in the episode, the trainees were using that machine (Dizz-a-tron or something?) to test their abilities to recover from airborne spinning, and they were Wonderbolt hopefuls.
Fluttershy would definitely have an abysmal recovery time necessitating her rescue.
Then, after all of that justification, they still made the joke about it.

To me, Fluttershy’s part seemed perfectly reasonable and even funny.

Pinkie: I can see where you’re coming from with Pinkie, but I actually kind of liked her in this episode.
Charcter-wise, she seemed to be most consistent of the major speaking roles at least.
Pinkie has always had abandonment issues and a tendency to assume the worst (Party of One) so her little rants felt real enough to me.
Plus, she was just damn cute at times:

“What do mean letters can’t just appear in the box? It’s super easy!”

I won’t disagree with anyone who didn’t like her use here (and her final line felt really weird for the episode to end on), but she wasn’t horribly off.

Wow, I wrote a lot more than I intended to write about that stuff.
Anyway, I also agree that the biggest problems were with Dash herself and the story structure, but I’ll go ahead and leave that until everyone can be involved in the discussion.
This really was the first episode that I felt had significant problems of this type, so I honestly do want to hear everyone’s opinions on it.

Until then, chew on this:

Let’s give the non-spoiler people something to talk about too!

Time to read RandomMan’s mind!

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 01:33PM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 01:32PM EST

Fifths wrote:

@Zeroblue

The thing that really attracts me to mlp more than anything else is that it features good writing in a culture where that has become a rarity. Mlp has excellent humor, great characters, interesting plot lines, novel settings…

The reason why I regard the new episode as the worst yet is because what you call ‘nitpicks,’ I call incompetent writing. This episode lacked drama, logical clarity, and strong thematic integration. These are basic elements of story telling, and their lack made this episode come across like an amateur’s fanfiction.

And that’s not even getting into how badly out of character Dash is. The greatest flaw of this episode was its bad writing, but there was a lot of injustice done to Dash and to a lesser extent Pinkie Pie in this episode.

Are there a lot of annoying nitpicks to be made? You bet there are, but what really makes this episode the worst one yet, in my opinion, is that it just fails at storytelling.

Okay, Let me Look over the three things you mentioned.

lacked drama:
I wouldn’t say that. More like it was stifled a bit. There was certainly a core “dramatic need” that underpinned the episode. And the Drama did build up slowly towards its conclusion. So I say its there.

Logical clarity:
Not sure what you mean, that something didn’t make sense? Everything made sense to me.

Strong thematic integration:
It’s “Boot Camp”. And it doesn’t stray from that. Save for the cut-aways to Pinkie.

However, I am beginning to see one thing if anything wrong with the episode…

Flow… Or perhaps pacing.

Every time it cut back to Pinkie, it interrupted the three things you mentioned. It Broke the flow of the Narrative, broke the dramatic tension in half, and broke up the tone of the theme.

Other than that, the episode felt more subtle than most RD episodes. And the Pinkie scenes being as subtle as a brick to the face, that kinda makes things weird.

Essentially, I think all the things you see wrong with it are entirely Pinkie’s Fault for getting so many cut away scenes.

I doubt that’s enough to hate the entire episode though.

There’s also the fact that it kinda took till the middle of the episode to feel like things were getting going, so there’s that, making the pacing bad. But no, I wouldn’t say that mad it horrible…

…Considering I once managed to predictably jump to the point in any Goosebumps book where supernatural stuff starts happening, which was also in the dead center of the book. But I also thought those were horribly paced so… Eh?

As for Dash, out of character? I’m not seeing it. At no point did I notice Dash acting out of Character. If she was, then perhaps it would help to explain HOW and then I might get it. But right now, I’m left to assume that It’s simply due to her juxtaposition with a version of her Turned up to eleven that is flying, literally, right next to her. Making you think she’s not acting herself because you think she should be acting like the Exaggerated one, rather than regular old Dash.

Oh, and if you think it’s because she’s acting all responsible. I’d say There’s probably a few moments you’re not remembering… Try comparing very early S1 RD (Like, Episode 1) with RD recently before this episode, and then compare S1E1 RD to this Episode.

…Up until this episode, RD’s irrational and Immature aspects have been slowly getting more exaggerated, and having that do a 180 back the way it came is weird, but not beyond the scope of reality or character variability. And could be explained as RD suddenly noticing that some traits of her own she sees in Lightning Dust she doesn’t like herself. And she wants to change.

If she doesn’t keep up with these developments though, then I’ll have an issue.

…P.S. I think Most of Dash’s immature side comes out most when she gets an Ego boost, hence why I think her More Bitchy period started after Sonic Rainboom. And In this episode, her not getting any ego boost (as well as being talked down to) may have put her in a more mature mood. Or whatever, I’m looking too deep into it.

In short: I think the problems you think are there, aren’t, but they appear to be, because of bad Flow or Pacing.

For me, I can stand bad Flow, cause I’m stubborn or something. But not many others can.

…And Dash only appears to be acting out of character because for whatever reason, they kinda had to rewind her B****y-ness to Pre-Sonic Rainboom. And she’s acting in character for S1 Rainbow Dash.

Last edited Dec 14, 2012 at 02:02PM EST
Dec 14, 2012 at 01:46PM EST

Ugh, you guys… That’s still a lot of spoilery stuff outside of spoiler tags. Especially you, Zero.

One thing from your spoilerish stuff outside of tags: this is season 3, not season 1. Her character has developed, even if Verbose doesn’t think so. I would rather have the Season 3 Dash that I love more than Season 1 Dash, who was pretty annoying. If it feels like 2 years of lessons just disappeared, then there’s a serious writing problem here.

But seriously… Ugh. I’m about to use some language here, and I apologize…

STOP WITH THE FUCKING SPOILERS EVERY FUCKING WEEK, AND KEEP THEM IN TAGS IF YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM. AND HONESTLY, YOU REALLY DON’T.

JESUS CHRIST.

I’ll see you guys tomorrow, when I’ve actually seen the episode. If the entire conversation is going to be about spoilers, then I want no part in it. Take your fucking spoilers somewhere else next week.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:09PM EST

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@New episode

So yeah, Fifths and I actually had a pretty extensive discussion about this episode and I’m in pretty much the same boat as he is: This episode had some significant problems that just made the whole thing feel very… off.
Dan, I do find myself agreeing with your larger points, but I’d like to first address a couple of your nitpicks.

Cloud Catching: Yes, that was an issue for me as well, but I feel that that was really a pretty minor point, all things considered.
Twilight casting the cloud spell on everyone makes enough sense to me that I wasn’t too bothered by that.
What did get to me was Dash’s reaction.
I would expect her solution to be much more… direct than it ended up being.
As it was, Dash had to identify the problem, assumed that Twilight would have planned ahead with the cloud spell (not unreasonable, but not terrible likely for Dash), and then based her plan around that assumption.
It felt like they were going more for a cool visual rescue than one that really made sense.
Still a relatively small problem on the whole though.

Fluttershy: Criticizing them for Fluttershy’s portrayal isn’t really fair for two reasons and is basically my only direct disagreement to your post.
It’s been shown that, when scared, her wings tend to lock up (Dragonshy) so not being able to fly while terrified is pretty in-character for her.
(Yes, she did have a good reaction when the cliff collapsed in the pilot, but most of the other times that she’s flown while scared have happened only when Dash literally drags her into the air.)
Even taking her fear out of the equation, it is perfectly easy to imagine her being unable to fly from simple disorientation.
Earlier in the episode, the trainees were using that machine (Dizz-a-tron or something?) to test their abilities to recover from airborne spinning, and they were Wonderbolt hopefuls.
Fluttershy would definitely have an abysmal recovery time necessitating her rescue.
Then, after all of that justification, they still made the joke about it.

To me, Fluttershy’s part seemed perfectly reasonable and even funny.

Pinkie: I can see where you’re coming from with Pinkie, but I actually kind of liked her in this episode.
Charcter-wise, she seemed to be most consistent of the major speaking roles at least.
Pinkie has always had abandonment issues and a tendency to assume the worst (Party of One) so her little rants felt real enough to me.
Plus, she was just damn cute at times:

“What do mean letters can’t just appear in the box? It’s super easy!”

I won’t disagree with anyone who didn’t like her use here (and her final line felt really weird for the episode to end on), but she wasn’t horribly off.

Wow, I wrote a lot more than I intended to write about that stuff.
Anyway, I also agree that the biggest problems were with Dash herself and the story structure, but I’ll go ahead and leave that until everyone can be involved in the discussion.
This really was the first episode that I felt had significant problems of this type, so I honestly do want to hear everyone’s opinions on it.

Until then, chew on this:

Let’s give the non-spoiler people something to talk about too!

Time to read RandomMan’s mind!

It sounds like this.

@Twilit

Why don’t you wait until you actually watch the episode until you start passing judgements about it? I too am generally a fan of Dash’s character growth, and I still felt like they did a terrible job with her.

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:03PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!