Forums / Discussion / General

171,542 total conversations in 5,627 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

­ wrote:

Sorry about -1 Karma’ing, but that top exploitable doesn’t really have anything to do with ponies.

As Whitish explained, that exploitable is seeing popular use in the fandom right now. The image gallery shows that exploitable several times so it is somewhat related as far as ponu trends go. It might even warrant an entry if it gets any more popular (assuming we don’t already, do we?)

Even it wasn’t, non-pony related items don’t really warrant a downvote here. We discuss things other than ponies here all the time and so long as it’s relevant to the current discussion, it’s welcome.

What does warrant a downvote however is spam. And when people quote massive long posts just to say one unimportant sentence, I consider that spam. Have a -1 yourself


Anyway. Applejack thread now is it?

Well I just saw the perfect header for this in the gallery today

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 10:41PM EST
Jan 09, 2013 at 10:39PM EST
Quote

I want to post more Rainbow Dash but I’m pretty sure you all are tired of my Rainbow Dash ‘spam’ (most of my posts on this are about best pony Rainbow Dash I’m pretty sure one more Rainbow Dash post would be spam) and I don’t want to be a one trick pony rimshot so instead have a Derpy because she’s not dead.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:34PM EST
Quote

Would you like hear a little story?

Well, since I do like the My Little Pony show, I decided to use my Twitter account for something other than lurking. I voted for a few pony-related/tangentially related categories for the Shorty Awards.

Now, I have two Twitter accounts. I use one to lurk mostly (more or less, me IRL), and I use the other to make tweets and comment as Verbose (although I still don’t use it often.)

To vote for the Shorty’s, you have to tweet from a valid Twitter account. Both of mine are active enough, so I decided to vote with the Verbose the Talky account (hiding my power and whatnot). Unfortunately, I accidentally my IRL account to vote for Tara Strong for best actress.

…Hey, wait a second. I recognize those two.
 
…well, the one on the right…


 
 
 
 
 
 

…So, uh, Twilight Sparkle retweeted something of mine.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Welp!

It’s been real, guys.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 11:36PM EST
Jan 09, 2013 at 11:35PM EST

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Meanwhile on the IWTCIRD page…

We’re not supposed to have autoplaying videos outside of profiles.

I saw nothing of consequence.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:43PM EST

Wow, it’s true. If it exists there IS a pony of it. I decided to go on Deviantart and look up something I thought I’d never see, Barry Burton of Resident Evil as a pony. Well lookie what I found.

Mind = Blown.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:49PM EST
Quote

>Verbose happy about a retweet
>Commit suicide
>BP gets convos and favourites aplenty from show writers and VA of Azula
>Chill as fuck

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:23AM EST
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

>Verbose happy about a retweet
>Commit suicide
>BP gets convos and favourites aplenty from show writers and VA of Azula
>Chill as fuck


>2013
>Speaking ill of the dead


>Writers

Heh.


Voice actress of who now? And I’d say Timmy Turner by himself is more well-known. Not counting Bubbles, Raven, Dil Pickles, and various others. I can find people who don’t watch LoK/Avatar. I don’t think there’s anyone in our generation that doesn’t know Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls.


And mostly, let me have my moment, darn you!

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:09AM EST

To continue the vaguely begun Applejack Thread, it looks like Applebee’s of all things has entered the ponyverse:


@Jyron
Actually, there have been a few crossovers with The Binding of Isaac.

No one dares to scoff at R34p!


Have I mentioned that M. A. Larson is awesome?

Because M. A. Larson is awesome.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:16AM EST
Quote

Guys Guys Guys guys!

Guys
.
Guys!
.
.
.

.
.
I just noticed this:


.
.
.
.

He’s using Sweetie Bell’s cooking as bait.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 04:57AM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 04:57AM EST
Quote

The mane 6 have responded to the possible EVO 2013 nomination and made a small FAQ as well: clicky

I have to say that I am really impressed how they handle the situation, they are just as surprised as everyone else and stay professional and humble. As you might have heard, Fighting is Magic started as a pony fighting game, but it turned more into a fighting game with ponies. The dev team wants to produce a well made fighting game on the first hand, that the characters happen to be ponies are not the main feature anymore.
The problem is that there are several other fighting games around that are also well made and deserve the attention. I have to say that I am not familiar with the fighting genre, but all the other games seem, that they don’t have such a massive fanbase supporting them. What these guys fear now is, that a stampede of ponyfans tries to run all over this poll just to make sure that ponies are everywhere – without having any genuine interested in EVO.

Basically what the mane6 are saying is: Don’t vote for pony, vote for a game. Choose the game you vote for because of the gameplay! They want to be backed up for the right reasons, for their game and not for ponies.

“We’re not trying to “invade” anything. We’re not trying to force our little project down the Fighting games community’s throat, and while we’re happy when we hear of people that gave MLP a try because of our game, it is not really our main objective."

I am still not sure if this is going to be a good or bad thing, all I know is that the mane6 have shown respect and try the best they can. I am really looking forward to the game, but It seems that they will have to push a bit harder now for a playable version. So that the contestants can practice it and are able to show some good gameplay at the tournament.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:16AM EST
Quote

I agree that Mane6 was really classy about this. They expressed all of the proper sentiments without coming off as perfunctory or demeaning their own game. I think the classiest thing to do would be to simply withdraw from the event. I don’t know much about fighting games, but for the first time in several months, I read all of the comments under the EqD post about the game.

When it comes to donating to charity, I’m going to bet that bronies have more experience than other people in the gaming community. So even if you have some fairly affluent gamers from other games, I don’t think they’ll outnumber the sheer numbers of those willing to contribute for anything pony that has a chance of being spread to a wide audience.

I was concerned about the brony commercial, and I admit that there wasn’t any noticeable backlash as I view the community. I was wrong on that. However, this is dealing with other geeks. By definition, they’re really zealous and passionate about their games. Once FiM wins by a landslide and once people realized that those who donated don’t really care about the fighting game community, they’ll be very, very upset. And rightfully so.

I’ve only played the Smash Bros. games, and I have Super Street Fighter IV (but I haven’t played it much at all.) But I can tell you that I fully expect that Melee will have a better tournament experience than FiM.

  • A lot of gamers probably don’t know about FiM. So there’s no seriously competitive community around it. Any indie game has this sort of problem, but FiM is certainly as indie as they come.
  • There will be 6 playable characters (with a potential for 5 if Fluttershy isn’t completely ready, and possibly just 4 if Rainbow Dash’s alleged flaws cannot be fixed.) Compared to games with at least 15 characters. I know Melee has 25.
  • It’s not done yet. That means any version that people are playing will be somewhat different from the one that’s released. Mane6 seems to be on their game. I think they’ll produce the final product.
    • But how much time does that give to get the game proper attention from gamers who can play fighting games competitively? And at a worldwide stage like EVO?
    • If that happens, then how much time remains for those who like the game and can play the game competitively to learn the game and get good at this game, which may end up being much different from other games?
    • If that happens, then who’d be able to decide to go to EVO to participate in the FiM tournament? And if they were already going, then they probably are there on business or for another tournament. (Perhaps they could participate online?)
      • I expect a much smaller, less competitive, and less entertaining tournament than you’d ever get for Melee. I don’t blame EVO for precluding FiM specifically, but as soon as EqD (or the community) releases information on anything with Pony in it, then it’s probably going to win anything revolving around fan participation, regardless of others being better. Oddly enough, it’s almost bullying. We’re geeks with bigger numbers that do whatever we want to other communities in these instances despite qualifications.

Not to mention the fact that FiM would be the game (competing with commercial games) that garnered the most charity money, by default. Hasbro probably knows full well about FiM. At some point though, they’ll have to submit a Cease and Desist in order to preserve their brand. Potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars will be contributed due to this game. That may be a large enough, single trigger to get FiM changed drastically or ceased altogether.

Whether or not it looks bad on Hasbro for nixing a game that attracted a large amount for breast cancer research is irrelevant. Hasbro won’t take the donated money. They’re just trying to keep one of their biggest brands under their company.
 
 
I don’t like where this will likely go, and from what is a possible holdover from my days as a bit of bully to awkward people, I don’t trust most bronies to be gracious and tacful about this nor do I trust most competitive gamers to not go and do something drastic like get their hacker friends to screw with a bunch of websites or something. Perhaps slapfights. I don’t know.

And on principle, most bronies contributing probably don’t even care about EVO. I know I don’t. They just want to spread Pony. If it were finished, had more characters, and provided a highly competitive, top-of-the-line tournament experience based on experience in previous tournaments, then I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it. Who cares if it has ponies if it’s a good tourney game? But that has yet to be seen, and I’d bet that if the game was released today with all bugs resolved and its fully-playable 6 characters available, there’s little chance that a sizable, competitive community can develop in time. Most Fighting game people still won’t give FiM a chance, and I don’t think the brony community has a lot of competitive fighting gamers.

I just don’t see a game that may be released a few months before a premier gaming event (if not the premier gaming event) can have a tournament experience worthy of its arena.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 12:06PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 11:57AM EST

Since I don’t know that much about the crazy trademark and copyright legislation, and after hearing about the fate of MLP online, would Hasbro legally be required to file a cease and desist at some point for Fighting is Magic?

Also, I think I agree with what Verbose stated about FiM at EVO. While I do hope the game is/ will be good enough that even non-fans enjoy it, I don’t think its status now really is ready for something like that, and even if it were, there are people who will never try it because of the subject matter. I’ll be honest, I never heard about the event before I heard about FiM’s nomination.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:30PM EST
Quote

Jacob wrote:

Since I don’t know that much about the crazy trademark and copyright legislation, and after hearing about the fate of MLP online, would Hasbro legally be required to file a cease and desist at some point for Fighting is Magic?

Also, I think I agree with what Verbose stated about FiM at EVO. While I do hope the game is/ will be good enough that even non-fans enjoy it, I don’t think its status now really is ready for something like that, and even if it were, there are people who will never try it because of the subject matter. I’ll be honest, I never heard about the event before I heard about FiM’s nomination.

I have the same worries. Although I have no doubt that the game will be fun for other bronies, or anyone even slightly interested in the subject, I don’t think many people at EVO will fall into either of those categories. I dunno, it just seems a little… out of place. Just look at what it’s up against! Now, this is just my opinion, but I think a game like Smash Bros would be a little more suited to a setting like this since it is the flagship fighting game of a major company. However, I have a feeling that lots of people will vote for Fighting is Magic just “because ponies,” and if it wins that may just accidentally the entire world. Okay, maybe it won’t be that bad, but I’m sure there will be a rather large group of people with rather strongly worded opinions on the matter.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hey, maybe everyone will love the idea! The internet is a crazy place.

Then of course there’s the problem with copyrights… I don’t even want to think about that.

Well, that’s enough negativity for today. Have some Fluttershy!

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:33PM EST
Quote

As a person who follows the FGC somewhat closely and likes fighting games (despite being terrible at them) as well as forgone sleep to catch Evo2012 livestreams, let me address a couple key points:

But I can tell you that I fully expect that Melee will have a better tournament experience than FiM.

NO. WHY DO SSB NERDS KEEP TRYING TO MAKE THIS GAME TOURNAMENT WORTHY? IT’S A NINTENDO PARTY GAME GAWD!

I expect a much smaller, less competitive, and less entertaining tournament than you’d ever get for Melee.

Yup. But this is not the first time this has happened. Evo had a poll for Evo2010 on what to include and anime fans got Melty Blood to get in over much more anticipated games like Street Fighter III. It was a pretty boring Main event. :/

Not to mention the fact that FiM would be the game (competing with commercial games) that garnered the most charity money, by default.

Not all of them are commercial games. Divekick is an indie title that’s not complete, just like FiM. Though you could say it’s “commercial” since they got a kickstarter and are hoping to profit from the game.

Hasbro probably knows full well about FiM. At some point though, they’ll have to submit a Cease and Desist in order to preserve their brand. Potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars will be contributed due to this game. That may be a large enough, single trigger to get FiM changed drastically or ceased altogether.

The donates are organized by Evo and go to breast cancer charities. So no, the money is not “contributed to this game”. At no point does Mane 6 call for money, ask for money, or see the money.

Hasbro has no legal legs to ask for a C&D.

If it were finished, had more characters, and provided a highly competitive, top-of-the-line tournament experience based on experience in previous tournaments, then I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it. Who cares if it has ponies if it’s a good tourney game? But that has yet to be seen,

Even the preview builds of the game show a competent, tourney worthy fighter. Much more so then say, Melee.

For example:

Fast forward to exactly 4 minutes. The game is quite competent.

But how much time does that give to get the game proper attention from gamers who can play fighting games competitively? And at a worldwide stage like EVO?

Divekick isn’t out.

Injustice: God Amongst Amongst Us comes out April 2013. 3 months before Evo.

Playstation All Stars only came out a month ago and is yet to be released in Japan.

and I don’t think the brony community has a lot of competitive fighting gamers.

You’d be surprised. Apparently we have enough competitive fighting gamers to produce a well balanced, tourney worthy game.

So I’m definitely, 100% voting for MLP:FiM. Right?

Err..no.

I’m being a devil’s advocate to show that this isn’t as bad as it seems. I’m voting for BEST FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME: ONLINE EDITION!

Secondary vote goes to Skullgirls for being an excellent system.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:52PM EST
Quote

I’m a little disappointed, burning. Normally, I’d agree with most of your reasons or rebuttals.

  • Are you saying that there isn’t an avid SSBM tournament community? Whether or not it was made as a party game is irrelevant as long as there is competitive fighting involved. And we both know there is more for Melee than there will be for FiM come EVO time. By a long shot.
  • I saw Divekick and heard it was indie and incomplete. But I’m willing to bet that there will be more than 6 characters to fight with, and I’m also willing to bet there’s more FGC hype around the game than FGC hype around FiM. A featured article helps, but it doesn’t automatically create hype among players.
  • I can’t speak for the actual legislation for whether or not FiM’s money in regards to its donations can bring about a Cease and Desist order. I don’t know it. However, I think you could make a case that:
    • A game that uses content owned by Hasbro is making money that Hasbro does not have control over. It may not matter that it’s all donations as long as the money is being produced on Hasbro’s content.
    • It potentially could exceed a certain amount. Some legislation is only enacted at certain amounts of money in the US. For example, some matters go from misdemeanor to felony as soon as it exceeds a certain monetary amount of damage or property/money stolen.
       
      Also note that Hasbro probably doesn’t want to pull the whole C&D thing. They do it to preserve their brand. So as soon as something occurs and it is brought to the attention of the powers that are over copyright and such, then they must defend it. It’s not Hasbro’s decision. I can’t say if this will trigger it, but thousands of dollars from a game using your content seems legally questionable, because you had no control over where that money went.
  • I’m pretty sure you’re just biased against Super Smash Bros. I’ve seen the videos, and it looks a bit amateurish still. I’m not super impressed with how it looks (no, I don’t consider the fact that this is not funded or done by professionals, because it’s not in an amateur competition nor is it going to be presented at an amateur or indie tournament.)
     
    There’s a difference between “quite competent” and “a polished game that is better for a tournament than its competitors.” And FiM should be better than its competitors. I know Melee and Brawl, because I’ve participated in (and got smoked in) a couple of tournaments, but I can generally beat most people (with Jigglypuff.) I cannot see FiM being able to support a tournament set-up as well as Melee. And looking at the other titles, I’d take them over FiM simply on name alone. I highly doubt that any polished, professional, and funded effort won’t be a better game. Seriously, kudos to Mane6. But no, I think Nintendo created a better tournament game in Melee.
  • First off, I think we both know those three games all have hype that exceeds FiM in the FGC. Let’s not pretend that FiM has the legs of any other game on that list. It got on the list from a Facebook poll, and any fighting game that surpassed a certain threshold was made a candidate.
     
    You know how large the brony community is. It doesn’t matter what the merits of the game are. Bronies were going to vote for it, because it’s Pony. Not on its merits (even if it has them) as a solid, tournament fighting game.
     
    Second, pointing out specific exceptions doesn’t disprove my point. There are other games on that list that have already established and experienced tournament players. It just means that those other games have similar troubles in having a decent tournament pool of contestants. I say “similar” and not “same,” because of what I said before: FiM does not have the same level of legitimate hype from the gaming community. Critics can praise it all they want. It’s a testament to the skill and knowledge of Mane6.
     
    …Don’t mean nothing when it comes to what players think.
     
    And at face value, you know those indie games better than I do. Which one do you think will have the most trouble in garnering an interested pool of contestants for a worldwide tournament in the FGC community?
You’d be surprised. Apparently we have enough competitive fighting gamers to produce a well balanced, tourney worthy game.

That’s where I’m most disappointed. Production of the game is done by a few people. Whether the brony community had 2 fans of fighting games or 200,000 fans doesn’t matter. The number of fans in the community couldn’t contribute help (outside of beta testers who may not have even been from the brony community,) and they most certainly couldn’t contribute money.

They want this game to appeal to the FGC at large. Not to the FGC in the brony community. Our numbers in regards to the genre is, and has always been, irrelevant to Mane6. Practically, because fighting game enthusiasts in the community are likely few and far in between. Just look at the comments in the original EqD post. Those who were voting for it and donating knew less about fighting games than I do.

Also, check the number of comments on the Mane6 page itself. If there was a decent number of enthusiasts in the brony community, then they’d be all over their site. But they’re not. A brony enthusiast would comment all of the time on a game that’s so well-done that’s based upon MLP.

They aren’t there, burning.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 02:42PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 02:37PM EST

-Want to rejoin pony general
-Have to do a fuckload of thread backreading.

Sorry guys. Peace.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 02:59PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 02:58PM EST
Quote

You know, I’ve played a lot of SSB in my time, and I can safely say a pony themed fighting game with 5 characters just out of alpha would still make a much more balanced and competitive choice then what is ostensibly a party game some people take waaay to seriously. And this is coming from someone who could kick copious amounts of ass with King Dedede.

Besides, this poll isn’t for the game of EVO, it’s just for a little subcontest mostly centered around raising money for charity. If I want to play/see people play Skullgirls at a competitive level I can just go see some footage from some other tournament. But FiM hasn’t even been released to the public, where else are we going to see it? If you’re telling me the other games are much more “deserving” of a place at EVO I have to disagree.

Ignoring the fact that since this was a community driven contest in the first place the people running EVO obviously don’t much care wether or not the game is ready for primetime. Like Burning said, there’ve been a lot worse games that have made it into EVO just because of their fandoms, you should probably wait to see how well FiM performs before jumping to conclusions on how appropriate it is in a competitive environment.

Worst case scenario, people play it, think it’s dull/unfinished/hurrdurrponiesrgay, and they move on with the tournament. Best case scenario the game is a huge success with the community for it’s balance and gameplay, the project gets ton of good press and the brony fandom as a whole gets a bit more validation.

There’s no way for any of us to stop it at this point, the way this fandom works the second it was nominated we had already won. All that really means is that a lot more people are going to get to try the game, and breast cancer research will get a hell-of-a-lot more funding.

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:22PM EST
Quote

Hay gais

So anyway… my group that I usually go to got overhauled…
And by overhauled I mean who ever runs that shiz screwed everything up.
Messed with the format to the point where it is just downright impossible to use, got rid of custom avatars and post backgrounds, wiped all the old threads and just all around fuqqed us up the butt.

So, I guess I might hang around here some more…
So what’s going on with everyone?

Also, I can not stop listening to this.

Halp.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 04:59PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 04:56PM EST
Quote

What up? I have typed ideas for a game called Rainbow Dash’s Pro Skater. It’s basically a ponified version of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4. If anypony wants me to post it, I gladly will. Also, too late for AJ thread? No worries! This is now an AJ thread again!

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:30PM EST
Quote

Strange Festive Jimmy Lethal wrote:

What up? I have typed ideas for a game called Rainbow Dash’s Pro Skater. It’s basically a ponified version of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4. If anypony wants me to post it, I gladly will. Also, too late for AJ thread? No worries! This is now an AJ thread again!

It would be awesome if you posted that.


AJ thread? Sounds awesome:

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 05:57PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 05:49PM EST
Quote
So what’s going on with everyone?

I’m trying to convince people that Fighting is Magic does not have the sort of credibility or capacity to support a worldwide, highly competitive fighting game tournament, especially considering it’s not complete yet and has a weak (read as: no) competitor base and will not be likely to develop one in, oh, a few months at most.

To the extreme, I’m trying to convince people that there is at least one other candidate game with tried-and-true competitive tournaments in the past that will serve as a better tournament game.
 
People disagree.

I don’t even. It’s a non-funded fan game. I wonder why I had to explain why (and I don’t consider Giga’s response to be anymore valid than burning’s.) to be continued…

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:19PM EST
You know, I’ve played a lot of SSB in my time, and I can safely say a pony themed fighting game with 5 characters just out of alpha would still make a much more balanced and competitive choice then what is ostensibly a party game some people take waaay to seriously. And this is coming from someone who could kick copious amounts of ass with King Dedede.

  1. Are you basing your argument for an entire group of people on your personal experience with a game? Because that would be like saying “Twilight is Best Pony. Therefore, all other bronies think Twilight is Best Pony.” or “I think Twilight is Best Pony. My opinion is better than everyone else’s, so Twilight is Best Pony.”
  2. You missed the entire line where I said that it doesn’t matter if it’s a party-fighting game. There’s a fighting community with highly competitive tournaments around it. It doesn’t matter if people who don’t think it should be a game worthy of competitive tournaments, because there is a significant portion of people who do (and it would be more than there will be for FiM.) Not to mention the fact that there is already an established and highly competitive tournament community behind Melee (and Brawl.) So whether or not you think (or if you’re actually right in thinking) that there shouldn’t be a competitive tourney community around the Smash Bros. games, there is one. That’s something FiM has to develop, and it can’t even do that. It can only have people who are waiting (and it’s not as many as the others, and it won’t be nearly as many by the time EVO rolls around.)
  3. Dedede is in Brawl, not Melee. Melee is generally preferred over Brawl.
  4. Your point here omits all of the other games that are purely fighting games. The ones with more variety in characters and larger competitive communities that already have strategies. Until there’s a completed and released version, no one worth their salt at an event like EVO is going to want to try to make a competitive strategy based on a beta version of a game.

Besides, this poll isn’t for the game of EVO, it’s just for a little subcontest mostly centered around raising money for charity. If I want to play/see people play Skullgirls at a competitive level I can just go see some footage from some other tournament. But FiM hasn’t even been released to the public, where else are we going to see it? If you’re telling me the other games are much more “deserving” of a place at EVO I have to disagree.
  1. It’s EVO. There will be a highly competitive tournament around the 8th game. And they take their games very seriously. If a game that hasn’t been tested like FiM ends up bombing, then people will be upset. Not because FiM didn’t work as a tournament game, but because there could have been a much better tournament around other games that have already had successful, competitive, and entertaining tournaments held around the world. They aren’t going to bomb. FiM may (again, with 4-6 characters and little time to get world-class competitive at characters, I don’t see how it can’t bomb.)
  2. Don’t think that other games are more deserving?
    1. Street Fighter II Super Turbo. The fighting game that probably introduced most people around our age to fighting games, me included. People think Fighting is Magic is more deserving than a classic?
    2. Super Smash Bros. Melee (despite Giga’s and burning’s preferences, neither have admitted that Melee already has a tournament community. A successful one with zealous fans.)
    3. I can’t speak for the other games, but I don’t see any argument yet that gives a solid reason why FiM should be there. I can (and already have) given reasons why others should be there instead.
  3. FiM will have its chance once it’s released. There’s a time for FiM to be presented and make its quality known, but EVO ain’t it. Not when there are other, tried-and-true games that will provide an assuredly quality gaming experience. As for where else you’re going to see FiM, you can download the game and watch it at later tournaments…when there are more than 6 characters available.
Ignoring the fact that since this was a community driven contest in the first place the people running EVO obviously don’t much care wether or not the game is ready for primetime. Like Burning said, there’ve been a lot worse games that have made it into EVO just because of their fandoms, you should probably wait to see how well FiM performs before jumping to conclusions on how appropriate it is in a competitive environment.
  1. Yeah, EVO probably won’t care. Mane6 will care if they put out a barely finished game with no competitive community so the tournament ends up being subpar with subpar participants, because, on the FGC’s biggest stage, Fighting is Magic failed. Later. Not now.
  2. Also, other games have gone and failed miserably. You want to chance FiM going and doing the same? That’s your argument. “Other games have been put in by their communities that fared poorly. Why can’t we do the same?” If anything, then I’d say seeing other fan-pushed games be used and fail should be reason to not support the game. Breast Cancer research donations are great. Amazing. Put it in for another game, so FiM isn’t embarrassed on the world’s biggest stage only a little while after its been released.
Worst case scenario, people play it, think it’s dull/unfinished/hurrdurrponiesrgay, and they move on with the tournament. Best case scenario the game is a huge success with the community for it’s balance and gameplay, the project gets ton of good press and the brony fandom as a whole gets a bit more validation.
  1. Validation? The crap do I want with validation as a brony? I am a brony, but I don’t need validation for it. Heck, man. I just am a brony.
  2. Worst case scenario includes a couple of other things, including Hasbro being legally obligated to take action against FiM because they had a game using Hasbro’s brand and characters that produced a massive sum of money and then was promoted at an event without Hasbro’s permission. The money doesn’t have to be profit for the creators for it to be illegal. Hasbro knows about Fighting is Magic. They watch EqD like a hawk. They just don’t want to C&D it, but they may have to if it ends up being promoted at a massive event like EVO. Again, Hasbro is having their brand used in ways that it has no control over. That screams illegal to me. Fanart being sold for $30 is one thing. Having an entire game presented and promoted at EVO, a worldwide event, and it bringing thousands of dollars for anything, charity or not, is another thing.
    1. There’s also the problem of it failing and no one giving the developers another chance so easily. They have another project that they said they wanted to work on after this. Imagine how difficult it would be if your first project appeared at EVO not based on merit, but by the donations of its fandom which is also not based on the game’s merit, and then the game failed miserably either due to it being about ponies or whatever. Your porfolio’s biggest attribute is a big, steaming lump of FAIL. And there’s no way you can cover it up, because it was at EVO, of all places.
    2. If they have a little corner off somewhere, then that would be great. I think that’s perfect for a recently completed, indie game. But what place does it have among Mortal Kombat? King of Fighters? Super Street Fighter IV? Tekken?
There’s no way for any of us to stop it at this point, the way this fandom works the second it was nominated we had already won. All that really means is that a lot more people are going to get to try the game, and breast cancer research will get a hell-of-a-lot more funding.
  1. That’s not a reason. I know bronies are zealous and can fund their efforts (charity and self-serving) better than any other online fandom (with the possibly exception of that Homestuck Kickstarter.) That’s saying that the game will be there. I’m saying that it shouldn’t be there. A lot of people will try the game, yes.
  2. Breast cancer research will get a ton more money, yes. Perhaps that is the best argument for FiM to be there. The game may succeed, and it could fail. But having Pony up there brings in a ton of money and a lot more than if it wasn’t up there. So even if it does fail, then breast cancer research gets a lot of money. I’ll easily trade in any validation for me or Mane6 for breast cancer research if it saves lives.

And I’ll admit fault should it go and not fail. But I don’t see how it goes and has any level of success that would even be comparable to what the other candidates would have brought.


Ponu.


Also.

Pinkie Pie time.

  • FEELING PINKIE KEEN
  • Party of One
  • Baby Cakes
  • A Friend In Deed
  • Too Many Pinkie Pies

I’ll buy that (if I had money, that is.)

You remember when FiM had trouble getting any DVDs at all?

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 06:32PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 06:20PM EST

@Fifths

There have been quite a lot of long posts these days, haven’t there? I’ve had to resort to quite a lot of skimming to keep up.

@Vikingbolt

I saw that, and as I said in a comment on EqD about it, I take issue with a tiny spot of semantics in that post.

Fluttershy’s behavior in Dragonshy, cowardice? Neigh!

Said I: “There’s a big difference between putting self-preservation at the top of your list of priorities, and simply being incapacitated by a phobia. Phobias are, by their nature, irrational and overriding. Those who suffer from them tend to have very little choice in the matter.”

That’s what made the ending that much more laudable; Fluttershy was able to face what terrified her more than anything, a creature that makes her want to faint just by hearing it, when she actually saw her friends being attacked. THAT, my friends, is the opposite of being a coward.

Small Flutter-rant over, carry on folks! All Applejack lovin’ is well-deserved indeed.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:25PM EST
Quote

For the Applejack page:

You guys got your Applejack episodes, you should be happy that a background pony got an episode to begin with in the first place.

@Verbose

I am not going to bother to read the last few pages like Fifths because the last few pages posts are as tall as the Great Wall of China.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 07:03PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 07:01PM EST
Quote

For those that are all “tl;dr”

The topic of this page is : Fighting is Magic at Evo. Yay? Or Neigh?

In fact, the topic is quite new and only mentioned on this page. Last page was about something else entirely so you can easily jump into the discussion.

I will respond forthwith! But first I must go to my local clinic and submit to an HIV/AIDs test. Sorry about that.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 07:12PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 07:11PM EST
Quote

I frankly do not care for Fighting Is Magic. Sorry. Also, speaking of fan-games, I put up ideas for Rainbow Dash’s Pro Skater in another topic.

Okay, I guess I decide the new topic. And that is… SWEET APPLE MASSACRE HUMANIZATIONS!

The picture takes place after “Magic Duel” ends.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:19PM EST
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

For those that are all “tl;dr”

The topic of this page is : Fighting is Magic at Evo. Yay? Or Neigh?

In fact, the topic is quite new and only mentioned on this page. Last page was about something else entirely so you can easily jump into the discussion.

I will respond forthwith! But first I must go to my local clinic and submit to an HIV/AIDs test. Sorry about that.

I was speaking in a general sense, not just about the EVO topic. Lots of long posts about lots of different things, you know.

As for Fighting is Magic, I dunno, I’m optimistic that the game will prove itself worthy should it make it in, but if not, c’est la vie, I suppose. That’s about all I got for that one.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:22PM EST
Quote

Hmmph. I think I’ll go back to lurking this thread until the Fighting is Magic topic has passed.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:28PM EST
Quote

Guys. Rainbow Dash’s Pro Skater ideas.


Rainbow Dash’s Pro Skater is a video game idea. It is a spinoff of the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series. In the game, you play as one of many characters from the show (or your own) and attempt to become the best skater in Equestria.

GAMEPLAY

RDPS has the same basic gameplay as Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4. There is a Career mode where the character skates around several different levels freely. There are NPC’s that you preform missons for to progress in the game. Since the controls for a pony skateboarding would be rather awkward, the skater is humanized. The only NPC’s that are humans are the playable skaters, only if they are an NPC in the misson (ex. in a vert competition with Applejack). Like in THPS4, the game also has high score, free skate, 2-player, and create-a-park modes.

MEET THE SKATERS

-Rainbow Dash
-Applejack
-Twilight Sparkle
-Pinkie Pie
-Fluttershy
-Rarity
-Spike
-Celestia
-Luna
-Derpy
-DJ P0N-3
-Big McIntosh
-Shining Armor
-Trixie
-Gilda
-Scootaloo
-Jimmy Lethal (OC)
-Josh Larson (OC)
-Custom Skater
-Jeff The Killer (Unlocked by buying for 6666 bits.)
-G.I. Joe (Unlocked by buying for 7476 bits.)
-Andrew W.K. (Unlocked by buying for 9001 bits.)
-Zecora (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Everfree Forest)
-Spitfire (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Los Pegasus)
-Iron Will (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Manehattan)
-Cadence (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Canterlot)
-Cloud Chaser (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Cruise Ship)
-Photo Finish (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Poneris)
-Discord (Unlocked by beating him in a jam in Discordia)
-Chrysalis (Unlocked by beating her Sick Score in Niagara Foals)
-Timmy Turner (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Ponyville)
-The Angry Video Game Nerd (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Caneighda)
-Fred Durst (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in PONA Skatepark)
-Edsel Dope (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Saddle Arabia)
-Braeburn (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Appleloosa)
-Apple Bloom/Sweetie Belle/Babs Seed (Unlocked by beating their Sick Score in Brayton)
-Soarin (Unlocked by beating his Sick Score in Hoofston)
-Good Ol’ Ernie Doggenboing (Toontown Online OC) (Unlocked by winning silver or better in X Games Equestria)

LEVELS

-Ponyville (Based off Main Street, Farmingdale, NY)
-Los Pegasus (Based off both Los Angeles, CA, and Las Vegas, NV)
-Manehattan (Based off Times Square, Manhattan, NY)
-Niagara Foals (Based off Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada)
-Brayton (based off Brighton, UK)
-Poneris (based off Paris, France)
-Saddle Arabia (Based off Mecca, Saudi Arabia)
-Cruise Ship (Based in the Solar Sea)
-Caneighda (Based off Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
-Canterlot (Based off a combonation of Canterlot from the show and Washington, D.C.)
-PONA Skatepark (Based off KONA Skatepark, Jacksonville, FL)
-Hoofston (Based off the AstroDome, Houston, TX)
-Everfree Forest (Based off both Everfree Forest from the show and the Amazon Rainforest)
-X Games Equestria (Based off X Games 18)
-Appleloosa (Based off Appleloosa from the show and Tombstone, AZ, Unlockable by buying for 6000 bits.)
-Discordia (Discorded Canterlot, Unlockable by buying for 6000 bits.)
-Trixie’s Ponyville (Trixie takes over Ponyville, From Magic Duel, Unlockable by buying for 6000 bits.)

SOUNDTRACK

This is how the soundtrack works. There are 15 songs each from Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4, Tony Hawk’s Underground 2, and Tony Hawk’s American Wasteland. There are 6 songs from the first two Tony Hawk games. 20 more songs are added as my personal choices. In addition, there are six bonus songs, coming up to a grand total of 77 songs.

THPS4

-Labor by Aesop Rock
-Bloodstains by Agent Orange
-Whenimondamic by Lootpack
-All My Best Friends Are Metalheads by Less Than Jake
-Yer Country by U.S. Bombs
-Beach Blanket Bongout by JFA
-Spokesman by Goldfinger
-Blackball by The Offspring
-Seneca Falls by The Distillers
-Simple Song by Avail
-Freightliner by Hot Water Music
-My Adidas by Run-DMC
-House of the Rising Drum by Delinquent Habits
-Skate And Destroy by The Faction
-Verses of Doom by Muskabeatz feat. Jeru The Damaja

THUG2

-Here I Am by The Explosion
-Cheesecake by Camaros
-High Anxiety by The Suicide Machines
-Fall Back Down by Rancid
-Sin City by Dead End Road
-No W by Ministry
-Whiplash by Metallica
-Deadly Sinners by 3 Inches Of Blood
-It’s Gonna Be A Long Night by Ween
-Black Label by Lamb Of God
-Top Billin’ by Audio Two
-Rapper’s Delight by The Sugarhill Gang
-Night Prowler by Living Legends feat. Slug
-Holy Calamity by Handsome Boy Modeling School
-That’s Life by Frank Sinatra

THAW

-Better Homes And Gardens by SNFU
-Watch It Fall by The God Awfuls
-Holiday by Green Day
-Vendetta by Mike V And The Rats
-Get Off My Back by The Casualties
-What’s Up Fatlip by Fatlip
-Burnt by Del tha Funkee Homosapien (simply Del in-game)
-Put Your Quarter Up by Molemen
-The End of Biters by Prefuse 73
-Champ by Breakestra
-Gravedancer by Pig Destroyer
-Live Wire by Mötley Crüe
-Unconditional by The Bravery
-Peace Frog by The Doors
-Penalty Box by Bobot Adrenaline

THPS and THPS2

-Superman by Goldfinger (THPS)
-Police Truck by Dead Kennedys (THPS)
-Jerry Was A Race Car Driver by Primus (THPS)
-Guerrilla Radio by Rage Against The Machine (THPS2)
-When Worlds Collide by Powerman 5000 (THPS2)
-Bring The Noise by Anthrax feat. Chuck D. (Public Enemy) (THPS2)

Original Choices

-Shut Up! by Simple Plan
-Disasterpiece by Slipknot
-Crack Addict by Limp Bizkit
-The Artist In The Ambulance by Thrice
-Negative Creep by Nirvana
-RockNRola by Nancy Fullforce
-Tornado of Souls by Megadeth
-Red Flag by Billy Talent
-F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X. by The Fall of Troy
-Motivation by Dope (Played in the intro.)
-Play With Me by Extreme
-All Star by Smash Mouth
-Fuel by Metallica
-Master Exploder by Tenacious D
-Stacy’s Mom by Fountains of Wayne
-Atomic Punk by Van Halen
-Lee Majors Come Again by Beastie Boys
-The Rock Show by blink-182
-The Geeks Were Right by The Faint
-Soul Doubt by NOFX

Bonus Songs

-Mommy’s Little Monster by Social Distortion (Unlocked after buying Jeff The Killer, from THUG)
-Let’s Have A War by Fear (Unlocked after buying G.I. Joe)
-Ready To Die by Andrew W.K. (Unlocked after buying Andrew W.K.)
-Psychobilly Freakout by The Reverend Horton Heat (Unlocked after buying Appleloosa)
-Can’t Be Saved by Senses Fail (Unlocked after buying Discordia)
-King Nothing by Metallica (Unlocked after buying Trixie’s Ponyville)

CHEATS

Cheats are entered by going to “Options” and then “Enter Cheats”. All codes are case-sensitive.

--

TimeIsMoney – Unlock Everything
MeAndMyGang – All Skaters
PrivateJet – All Levels
ArtistInTheAmbulance – All Boards
PaidInFull – 999,999 Bits
GoToSleep – Jeff The Killer unlocked.
KnowingHalfTheBattle – G.I. Joe unlocked.
DestroyBuildDestroy – Andrew W.K. unlocked.
BlackAndWhite – Zecora unlocked.
FlameThrower – Spitfire unlocked.
DoYouEvenLift – Iron Will unlocked.
CrystalSkater – Cadence unlocked.
HairProductSponsorHere – Cloud Chaser unlocked.
SkatePhotoG – Photo Finish unlocked.
LeroyJeinkens – Discord unlocked.
BlackCheese? – Queen Chrysalis unlocked.
ExtremeWishing – Timmy Turner unlocked.
NintendoAtariSega – Angry Video Game Nerd unlocked.
AllForTheNookie – Fred Durst unlocked.
NothingForMeHere – Edsel Dope unlocked.
DesertStormer – Braeburn unlocked.
YoungBucks – Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Babs Seed unlocked.
ObviousPieJokeHere – Soarin unlocked.
CartoonCraziness – Good Ol’ Ernie Doggenboing unlocked.

HANDHELD VERSION

The handheld versions on 3DS, DS, and PSP differ from the console games. These versions of the games are based around the first three Tony Hawk games. You have two minutes to check as many goals off a list as possible. You don’t have to do every goal in one run; once it’s done, it’s done.

The handheld version features ten skaters (the Mane Six, Spike, Celestia, DJ P0N-3, and Custom Skater), eight levels (Ponyville, Los Pegasus, Manehattan, Niagara Foals, Cruise Ship, Hoofston, Discordia, and Canterlot) that are much smaller than their console versions (except for Cruise Ship, which is more or less the same size), and the soundtrack has no songs from THPS4, THUG2, or THAW. Because of the Playstation Vita’s technical capabilities, the full console game would be ported to the system.

OTHER

The game features the ability to create up to five Custom Skaters (two on handhelds). They are all included as the “Custom Skater” character, and you can choose which one to play as.

Easter Egg: Angry Video Game Nerd’s character select screen animation is him playing a Game Boy. If you rotate him, you can barely see him playing the Game Boy Color version of the original Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.

Reference: Babs’ mission in Niagara Foals involves a taxi. The taxi’s door reads “Shabby Cab Co.”, a reference to Tony Hawk’s Underground 2.

Reference: In the Caneighda level, Pinkie breaks the fourth wall. Quote: “I really wanted to have Party Hard on the soundtrack, but no, it has to be Ready To Die. That’s a downer.”

Reference: Josh breaks the fourth wall when you complete his mission in Manehattan. Quote: “Nice, very nice. Now how about you get your ass up and ride a real skateboard?”

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 07:31PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 07:29PM EST
Quote

Ah, the majestic Applejack, such a mighty pone. I will most surely main her when Fighting is Magic goes public.

BIONIC FARM!!!

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:29PM EST
Quote

Look Verbs, I’m not terribly invested in this argument. Since, like I said, it doesn’t do anyone any good, the verdict is out of our hands at this point. If Mane6 doesn’t feel their game is up to the task then they could have pulled it from the list when it was nominated, I have at least a little bit of faith they know what they’re doing.

On top of that I don’t much care about the sanctity of the fighting game community, from what I’ve seen they’ve got kind of a track record of… less then stelar behavior. I’m not the kind of guy that gets into games to the point where I need to go up against the best of the best, at high enough levels of play I think any and every game becomes a dull slog of canned strategies and build orders.

I do enjoy being competitive to a point, but I’d rather be the best player in a TF2 pub server then the worst in a 6v6 vanilla tournament.

Which is why SSB (and that refers to the entire series) at a competitive level is just laughably sad to me. The game wasn’t designed to be balanced, once you cut out enough stuff to make it that way you end up playing this game:

Not.
Fun.

So no, I don’t think any of the SSB games are good tournament games, despite any sized following they might have. Because once you water a game down to the point where it becomes tournament worthy it stops being a good game in the first place… and in Melee I will ’eff you up with Kirby.

In a truly competitive game, every single strategy and game element must have a place. It doesn’t make the slightest difference if FiM only has 5 characters as long as they’re properly balanced, because the average competitive gaming scene will only ever use 5 characters despite how big the roster is.

Take DotA 2 for example, there are literally 95 unique characters and they’re extremely balanced. But without fail you will almost always go up against a Drow Ranger, a Tidehunter, or a Warlock because competitive players don’t want variety, they want familiarity. Even if FiM had an entire cast of every character that’s ever appeared in the show, even it was balanced to perfection, the odds of the EVO community getting into it are exactly the same as they are now.

What’s more, the ponies in FiM play very similarly to characters in other fighting games, it’s not like players will have to learn completely new move sets to pick up and play the game. That counts for a lot more then you’d think.

And I’m not touching the legal issues, none of us have a terrible amount of knowledge of how exactly the system works in this situation. In fact I’m pretty sure not even the system knows what exactly it has to do in this situation. Hasbro’s not stupid, and based on their relationship with Michael Bay they’re not quite as sensitive to the portrayal of their IPs as Disney is as long as there’s a profit to be made. Who knows, maybe if they’re forced to take legal action they might offer to take the project under their corporate wing so they could reach into their fairly untapped gaming market. Sure some hipsterian people might call them sell-outs, but it’s not like they had any other choice.

At the end of the day, the argument is pointless, there’s nothing we can do about it. The train has no breaks, but we don’t know if it’s going off a cliff or through candyland, the only thing we can do is wait and see.

Oh yeh, almost forgot:

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 07:41PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 07:31PM EST
Quote


Also this too for no reason.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 08:10PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 08:09PM EST
Quote

Behold, 12 new best ponies to fanboy over.

YOU STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM LEO PONY, THAT’S MY NEW WAIFU Sorry Rainbow Dash…..Ah who cares I’ll be a polygamist, now where’s my reality show on The Learning Channel? (Boy I hope my show will come on right after Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, that’s a good timeslot.)

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:23PM EST
Quote

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Hell no, with those games?


Longest answer: I have to keep this somewhat short due to time, but I’ll do my best.

Here’s the list of games in the running for EVO:

  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • SFIII Third Strike, Online Edition
  • Virtua Fighter 5
  • Divekick
  • Melty Blood Actress Again Current
  • MLP: Fighting is Magic
  • Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
  • Dead or Alive 5
  • Capcom vs. SNK 2
  • Injustice
  • Skullgirls
  • Street Fighter II Super Turbo
  • Blazblue
  • Soul Calibur V
  • Darkstalkers 3

Now I don’t know much about fighting games, but I know for sure that eleven of those games have an existing, major competitive scene. And no matter how much you say that SSB isn’t balanced for competition, Giga, that doesn’t change the fact that it has a large competitive scene, and is in fact one of the first ones I can name off the top of my head (a list, mind you, that includes much better balanced games like Street Fighter and the Marvel vs Capcom series). Sure, the joke is that the scene is Fox only/no items/Final Destination, yet there is a scene, and the joke is an exaggeration anyways (read an actual tier list and watch actual gameplay for crying out loud).

While I am happy to see FiM make the list, I’d still not donate in its name if I could afford to at all. Sure, I’ve seen gameplay, and it looks good, but it’s the most unfinished game on the list. Most of the rest are games that are out, many for awhile, and the only other game that isn’t out, Injustice: Gods Among Us, is already polished enough to be announced and given gameplay footage as a AAA game (even GTA, which should release late this year, doesn’t have released gameplay). And to be honest, I’d still rather see it even though it’s unfinished, because it comes out soon(ish) and is probably near-finished.

Besides, those arguing that FiM should be chosen are arguing against established games that still have a strong scene, like both Street Fighters, Blazblue, and, yes, Super Smash Brothers. Not only are those better known games, but they have players who play them for money. I honestly don’t care that it’s a pony game. We’re talking about EVO. EVO is about fighting games, not spreading fandoms. If I’m going to watch EVO 2013, I’d rather watch a large tournament around SFIIST (or even SFIII3rdS) or SSBM than a game with no scene since it isn’t even out yet that probably won’t pull a competitive crowd that’s very large.

Even so, I would like to see it there – but not at a competitive level. If anything, let’s do a public exhibition match with a hands-on demo. The way to hype the game is not to put it straight in tournaments.


I searched #applejack on tumblr, here’s the first AJ-only thing that popped up.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 08:42PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 08:31PM EST
Quote

Of all the days I don’t check in here…

Little stuff first:

@phoenix, way back up there
I think a lot of us noticed Sweetie’s Dad fishing there, but I doubt he’s using the food as bait.
If you recall, he seemed to be the only one who liked Sweetie Belle’s cooking (for whatever indescribable reason).
To me, putting that plate there is actually a very cute family moment.
Sweetie Belle took the time to make lunch for her daddy while he’s out for a day’s fishing.
I like it!


@Fifths, Dan, and any other tl;dr-ers
I would suggest you go through and read them.
Some of the discussions were pretty fun (and I got to do a nice little diatribe on Faust’s vision for Scootaloo and RD), and you really don’t want Twilight to find out that you aren’t reading enough.
Just ask Rarity:

READ IT! READ IT! READ IT!”


@Jimmy
>Pony-themed skating game
> Not headlining Scootaloo

That’s not even because Scoot is my favorite, she’s just the clear choice for a game parody like that.
Plus, it could give the game more of a ‘start at the bottom and work your way up’ structure that starting with the self-proclaimed ‘Greatest Athlete in Equestria’ wouldn’t.
Lots of cool ideas in there, though!
I used to love the old Hawk games and I’d love to see someone try to adapt them to ponies.
(I’d kind of expect there to be some actual pony music, but whatever.)


@Viking Bolt’s Fluttershy video
Oh crap, I totally forgot about that from EQLA.
As funny as it was for a lot of people, I’ve always considered that kind of stuff really groan-worthy.
Haha, yes, you got the ‘real’ Fluttershy to say a line made famous by a psychopathic alternate version of the character, but so what?
Andrea didn’t have a clue what she was saying and if she had, she probably wouldn’t have been too excited about saying it.
Seeing that video just made me remember that no one has animated the really entertaining stuff from that panel like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy’s car commercials.

I want to see that!


And the big one:
@EVO
I’ll preface by saying that I have very little interest in fighting games overall and even less interest in hyper-competitive video gaming.
In general, I think I agree with Verbose: I’d prefer to see another game win out in this case.
This is not because I think FiM is a bad game in the slightest (far from it, in fact) but simply because I don’t think it has quite broken through that inevitable ‘pony’ barrier that it was bound to hit with the gaming community.
Yes, it has gotten quite a bit of press recently, but most of is still taking the ‘Yeah, it’s ponies, but it’s actually a pretty good game!’ angle.
It’s a great step for sure, but I think it would end up looking too much like a sideshow if it were to win and in a community that takes their fighters very seriously, coming across as a joke is probably less than ideal.
Here’s what I would prefer to see:
The fact that they didn’t immediately pull themselves out of the running implies that they do believe that they can have the core (main six) game ready by the time EVO comes around.
They should do that and then set up in the indie game area like they did last year.
They’ve successfully gotten their name out there at this point, so this showing would be mostly to prove that they have the game to back it up.
Get people in based on the ‘Hey, it’s that funky pony game I read about!’ thing, and hook them by having it be a good, complete game.
Prove that it isn’t just some silly gimmick to cash in on bronies, but a true, full-blooded fighting game.
They’ve made the claims, but now they need to really show it.
Once they’ve had a good showing with a completed build of the core game, then move on to getting it entered into full competitions.

Just my two cents on the whole thing.

Last edited Jan 10, 2013 at 09:56PM EST
Jan 10, 2013 at 09:52PM EST
Quote

Eh, it’s good that the game is getting this type of hype, but I don’t really care if it gets in the line up or not. As long as I can get a copy of it sometime before then, I’m set.

Obligatory AJ pic:

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:32AM EST
Quote

Andrea Libman made an AMA – How does it work
She doesn’t really write tl;drs though…

Well I was indecisive yesterday, but I know my stance on EVO now.

I would be happy, if the mane 6 made it to the tournament. Take a look at the Gamestop feature again:
“Eventually, the game’s buzz drew the attention of Mr. Wizard, one of EVO’s organizers. His interest in the project was extremely motivational and informed the team that they must be doing something right. "EVO is the fighting game tournament. Period. And if one of the dudes running EVO thinks our fighting game is legit, then there’s nothing anyone can say at that point.

In fact, as Nappy recalled, “[Mr. Wizard] actually approached us.” Before long, Nappy found himself giving a demo of the game over Skype. “At one point, I pulled off this really long Pinkie Pie combo, and he started giggling like a little girl. I don’t think I can really explain the feeling I got from that moment--it was unreal. He was talking to me like [Fighting Is Magic] was a real game. He was completely serious about it, and he was enjoying himself.”

This is not just “good” press, it’s different:
>Mr Wizard wants Fighting is Magic
>EVO wants Fighting is Magic

My concerns were that the game isn’t ready, bugged and not polished enough for the major tournament, but I watched about half an hour of Gameplay from guys playing it presumably for the first time ever and it was entertaining. It was a build from September with RD and I would say that it looks good enough even right now. If they finish Fluttershy and do some polishing I would say that they are good to go.
The matches weren’t boring or repetitive even though the players didn’t have any time to accommodate to the game. You don’t need a huge roster full of characters that do the same and look different. Six characters that play totally differently might be enough or perhaps the perfect number. It’s also quite cool to see how they adopted the different personalities into fighting styles. Damn I haven’t followed the game really closely before, but I want to play it now. I want a pony general tournament ASAP^^

Another snippet from an interview the mane6 devs made in oktober, 2011:

ANU: […] When we started the game we were planning for a small, little project, with emphasis on quality, but still a small project. Never did we imagine that mainstream giants on the gaming industry would be discussing us… Having FiM at EVO still sounds somewhat of a dream; As Nappy said, our collective body will never be ready.

Prominence: Pretty much what they said. We kept expecting small numbers, and getting ten times that. It’s taught us that we have a lot more people looking at us than we expect – It is my personal hope we don’t let that get in our heads…

Evo? I’d be honored, but to be frank I’m not expecting it to show up there. It would be nice if I was wrong, however."

For them being one of the main games at the EVO was always some kind of dream, that will never be fulfilled. Small numbers and such, bodies will never be ready and such, but this dream for those indie developers – more hobby developers – is about to be fulfilled and I really don’t have a problem with that. Big games that have big names and big communities…they are big already. the mane6 do not even make any money out of the game, they are just doing it for fun and they are producing an excellent game – with ponies above all.

@ Hasbro and C&D:
Lauren Faust wants to play it, Jayson Thiessen wants to play it (“Finish the game already!!!”) and I would be really surprised if Hasbro has never heard of it before.

So FiM crossed their line a long time ago and they didn’t write their c’n’d letters. Why should they do it now? The mane6 are still not making any money out of it. Nothing has changed since the beginning.

From the FAQ, Where does the EVO money go:
“Charity. All of it. We don’t receive, touch, see or even smell a single cent of it. The organization team at EVO is in charge of it, and we really have nothing to do with it.”

It’s kind of strange that they don’t say it directly anymore, if they had some sort of correspondence with Hasbro or not. In the old interview they mention that they haven’t heard of anything from Hasbro and called it a good sign. It is still such a dangerous gray area.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 08:00AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 07:56AM EST
Quote

>Concise


EDIT

@whitishcollar

I can generally accept how you presented your stance. I have a couple of issues with it, but I think it’s a reasonable opinion.

  • I had forgotten about that bit from the Gamespot article. Some people who seem to hold some sway did say they were impressed. That should be enough to get people who are really into the community interested, and those who are objective and not really fans of the genre should still have fun with it.
     
    That still leaves me wondering about those that fall in the middle. Of course, it may not be a true bell curve where there are a ton of people within two standard deviations of the mean in the middle grounds, but I see/perceive the community as being able to dismiss it upon its largest premiere. I think that if it had a few tournaments under its belt first, then people would come to give it a legitimate shot.
  • I think they’ll have it done in time, barring any emergencies. And considering it’s a fan project, paying bills might end up being an emergency. However, their responses (since the leak incident) has instilled some confidence in me. I think they’ll have The completed product come game time.
     
    But I do think so few characters could still be a problem. Melee (especially) and Brawl have clone characters, but I can easily see how other games have 16 or 24 characters that are varied in slightly different ways. Even in Melee, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are basically clones, but you’re going to have a bad time if you try to take your game from Falcon to Ganondorf or Ganondorf to Falcon. Your techniques, juggling tactics, your timing and anticipation, and various other things have to change significantly for both characters.
     
    With only 6 different (but truly unique) characters, you might still have issues as a professional or competitive player. You might like Rarity’s attacks from a distance, but you might not like the way she responds to being hit, her recovery skills, or some other things. But if you left Rarity altogether, you’d have to get adjusted to an entirely different character. There will be no slightly (but crucially) different character to use. And at most, you’d only have 6 unique characters, which strikes me as low. Even Melee with its clones has more than 6 fighting styles.
  • I don’t mind a well-done pony project getting it’s time to shine, but I don’t think the release is the time for the FGC’s biggest stage. That’s my thing. If more tweaks need to be made in a V1.1 or even a Version 2, then after that is when you take it to a tournament stage like that. I don’t think game franchises got to that stage by being voted there. They got there on being fun/sound games. So even though there are a couple of other indie games on the “ballot,” most are tried and true games that will offer a satisfying tournament experience.
     
    We just don’t know if FiM can be that in practice, despite the Mane6’s skill and knowledge of the genre. When there are smaller tournaments, that’s when I’d want to see it on display. Not now. It’s quite risky (especially considering their other project in the works. Again, failing at EVO will be your portfolio’s biggest mark. A brown smear that will require a lot of other well-received efforts to live down.)
    • Not that it can be stopped, but my argument isn’t one of what’s going to happen as much as it is what I think should happen.
So FiM crossed their line a long time ago and they didn’t write their c’n’d letters. Why should they do it now? The mane6 are still not making any money out of it. Nothing has changed since the beginning.

In response (emphasis added for quick browsing):

A game that uses content owned by Hasbro is making money that Hasbro does not have control over. It may not matter that it’s all donations as long as the money is being produced on Hasbro’s content.

It potentially could exceed a certain amount. Some legislation is only enacted at certain amounts of money in the US. For example, some matters go from misdemeanor to felony as soon as it exceeds a certain monetary amount of damage or property/money stolen.

Also note that Hasbro probably doesn’t want to pull the whole C&D thing. They do it to preserve their brand. So as soon as something occurs and it is brought to the attention of the powers that are over copyright and such, then they must defend it. It’s not Hasbro’s decision. I can’t say if this will trigger it, but thousands of dollars from a game using your content seems legally questionable, because you had no control over where that money went.

I think you see that it’s still a grey area. No one really knows the law, but I think using another entity’s intellectual property to garner money is legally suspect (for any purpose, because Hasbro should be able to choose how money collected based on their content is used. They might prefer to divvy up the money differently or to different charities of their own choosing.)
 
But I can accept that opinion now. I don’t think it’s as far-fetched as you presented it.

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 08:55AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 08:07AM EST

Honestly, as a huge Warcraft nut (especially WC3) and a lorefag, the pony game I’m most excited to play is this:

Obligatory best pony tribute

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 09:43AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 09:41AM EST
Quote

Oh wow, you’ve all been busy since yesterday…

Okay, that’s not entirely true. I did read some of it. But, I’ve already said my piece on the game. I don’t think I have much further to say.


I did just watch that entire “Men who Stare at Ponies” video though, and it was actually pretty good. It didn’t really go into how the fandom came into being, rather it explained what the fandom is to him. Quite level headed though, not overly full of love or hate. It got me thinking about what sort of fan I am, and I think I’d categorize myself as a “Type 1” fan from this video. Maybe a little bit like “Type 2.” I’m really not that “loud” of a fan.

EDIT: Woah, the post that the video was on is gone! Did I just imagine the whole thing? Is this real life, or is this just fantasy???

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 10:08AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 10:06AM EST
Quote

@Commodore 64
I deleted it.
I am just waiting for the page get because this page is unnecessarily long..

Edit:There you go! Next page! Btw applejack? Seriously? Well..

She is the best Heller..
Thread Apple Jacking to the video in the next page!
Edit2:Guys seriously? No better things to do than dicussing Applejack? Really?

Last edited Jan 11, 2013 at 10:30AM EST
Jan 11, 2013 at 10:09AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!