Forums / General

195,752 total conversations in 5,392 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10,167 conversations with 235 participants

Oh hey, my IDW comic arrived in the mail today.

The second issue arrived and the first issue hasn’t yet.

>First world problems.

Added note, Chrysalis is goddamn adorable.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:11PM EST
Quote

@Edan

That makes two of us who think that Chrysalis is adorable

Unfortunately, for you to share the same opinion on that matter is lethal

just kidding, enjoy the comics

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:14PM EST
Quote

Popper wrote:

From what I could tell, /mlp/ (no matter how much some of you hate it) was a center for concern about the end of the fandom.

/mlp/ care nothing about the fandom, always claim to have nothing to do with the fandom and they gleefully await the prophesied day of doom for said fandom.

It’s how they operate.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:50PM EST
Quote

I just want this season finale to pass by so this Alicorn Twilight thing can be put to rest. I honestly don’t give a flying fuck if Twilight becomes an Alicorn or not, as long as the writers pull it off well (which I have pretty high hopes for as I’ve really only been disappointed by the show a few times) I don’t care.

On another note, do you guys think The Crystal Empire episode would’ve been more well received (well…minus the whole 1 dimensional Sombra) if the Canterlot Wedding wasn’t the season 2 finale and instead the season 2 finale was like The Best Night Ever? Think about it, what did we expect for The Canterlot wedding? I can safely assume that none of us thought we were getting something like that, hell look at the live reactions to that episode. Everyone was all like “Wow this show suddenly got 100% more serious” (one of my favorites was the Houston Bronies’ reaction video) then suddenly with The Crystal Empire (which I feel is on par with Canterlot Wedding in terms of story but not in use of the villain IMO) everyone just seems a bit desensitized “Oh this episode has a more serious theme than all the others and is quite a bit darker than any of the other episodes…..but we already saw that in the Season 2 finale”.

Even watching the Houston Bronies’ reaction video for Crystal Empire you can tell they were a bit desensitized to dark seriousness in My Little Pony, it’s not like going into Canterlot Wedding where they leave the episode thinking “Holy shit…was I seriously just watching My Little Pony?” It’s more like “Oh yeah that kind of stuff was in the last episode. No big deal”

Edit: Yeah I know, this is kind of boring I don’t care. I’m waiting for my digital copy of Dredd 3D to download. 6 more hours to go! Yay Itunes!

Last edited Jan 22, 2013 at 11:05PM EST
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:00PM EST
Quote

kewln00b wrote:

On another note, do you guys think The Crystal Empire episode would’ve been more well received (well…minus the whole 1 dimensional Sombra) if the Canterlot Wedding wasn’t the season 2 finale and instead the season 2 finale was like The Best Night Ever?

Not necessarily switched with Canterlot Wedding but Crystal Empire would have been better received if it was aired earlier in the show’s run.

The earlier the better.

The more a show goes on, the more expectations rise. That’s just a fact.

Hell, I would say this. If Friendship is Magic part 1&2 were aired as the season 3 premier (let’s ignore the fact that it wouldn’t make sense) it would…..be pretty bad. Nightmare Moon/Luna is barely a better villain than Sombra and everyone would scream “FUCK THE REDEMPTION AT THE END”.

I’m not trying to rag on the series premier but I’m just using it to show that our expectations have been steadily rising from our initial expectation that “This show is shit and everything about it is shit”

Thing about expectations is….they’re easy to raise but hard to meet.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:38PM EST
Quote

@Twilight Alicorn argument

This no longer amuses Fifths.

New topic. Whenever people in the artistic community have done more serious work, Discord has been the go to guy for a serious villain. I’m thinking of the discorded ponies series and the like where Discord plays a character of unquestionable evil. Now that Discord has been effectively mollified in cannon, who do you think the brony community will go to when they need someone in their stories to play the role of Hitler/Satan? Sombra wasn’t terribly popular, and none of the other cannon villains really seem fit for the role.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:15AM EST
Quote

Since I haven’t talked about my stance on the Twilicorn argument, here’s my say:

I don’t believe it will happen. I’m quite sure of this. However, if I did believe in it, my response would be as follows:

But seriously guys, real talk. Even if I’m wrong and it does happen, I have faith in the show’s creators to do it well. After all, we had a similar panic about A Canterlot Wedding before it aired, and it ended up being a highlight of the show as a whole.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:51AM EST
Quote

@Burning_Pheonix

Yeah, Expectations rise, but we are also more willing to put up with when our expectations aren’t met.

On one hand, we want each episode to be better than the last one, and on the other, previous great episodes have earned some credit to not have to meet the expectations.

There’s… A middle ground that Writers have to stick with most of the time, which ebbs and flows.

But then, expectations are a crazy thing… Lowering the expectation of “Quality” by doing the whole Summary of “Royal Wedding”, before breaking that expectation with “Soul Stealing Demon Things!” Is a nice dance that leaves everyone stunned… And I have no idea what I’m talking about anymore.


Strangely… That Reminds me… Nobody expected much from the Royal Wedding Episode, but then it happened. But anyone notice nobody expects much about the episode about the

Equestria Games inspector either?

I somehow have warning bells going off in my head about that episode. It’s a Gut instinct I guess. I’ll try and explain… Even though I never make any sense.

Most of the other episodes you can figure out a fair approximation of what it’s about, as well as a few ways it can go down. All of which in your head, sound fairly neat.

Episode 12… I don’t know… But considering what happened with Royal Wedding, I’m Feeling the episode synopsis is a Red Herring.


MOD EDIT: Because spoilers…
-Verbose

Last edited Jan 23, 2013 at 02:57AM EST
Jan 23, 2013 at 02:26AM EST
Quote

So…Let me come back to the episode again:

Perhaps I am a silly gullible fool, but I just couldn’t figure out during the episode if Discord is turning good or not. They used so many clues in this episode and it stays so ambiguous until the very end. You see Discord faking Fluttershy’s stare, winking in the camera and mumbling something under his breath – For me this episode had the biggest mind foolery the show has ever shown, it just lacked the often criticized predictability.

And that’s why people are complaining about the ending – They are still not sure about Discord’s reformation. Do you think Discord will use his magic only for the good after this episode? You can’t bet on that. They have left the door wide open for new and interesting plots, you see there are so many open strings now: Scootaloo and RD, RD and the Wonderbolts, Twilight and the book and now Discord. The show is not going to end soon…

And I really liked Fluttershy here, yeah she is good with animals, but she has always been very good with mystical creatures as well (Just noticed Bonbon hanging out of a window there^^). She does spend the whole episode against the better judgement of her friends and doesn’t take advice from them. No, she knows what she is doing just like a professional.

So do you think Fluts has planned Discord’s epiphany? It’s possible that he has never experienced friendship as a demigod. How does he know what he is missing, if he has never experienced it? He likes to play pranks, but he can have feelings as well…

Well played pony show, well played…

@Verbose
Yes “interaction” that’s the word I was searching for last time, but you are right this episode lacked the mane 6 character interaction. Their part was playing the concerned viewer, filling plotholes and getting the premise of the story right. They just spend so much time here for the setup of the episode: Why Discord can’t steal the elements, that he was conscious while being in stone, that Twilight can’t use a reforming spell on him and much more…

Last edited Jan 23, 2013 at 05:11AM EST
Jan 23, 2013 at 05:04AM EST
Quote


Hey! Guess what again?
MLP is going to Japan!
Seems that Hasbro is going to be putting a considerable amount of effort into bringing the show and its merchandise to the land of anime where it has yet to really catch on quite as much as it has in the U.S. and Europe.
They are even holding big events to reveal and introduce the actresses.

So…
MLP in Japan.
If the cute was deadly before…

Prepare yourselves, people.

Jan 23, 2013 at 02:33PM EST
Quote

@Japanese Pony

Excellent… It’s only a matter of time before a native Japanese Spin off shows up involving Ninja Ponies in Mecha dueling through very serious card games!

But seriously, if Japan had it’s own version of MLP:FIM done in Anime Storytelling and Style Coventions, how do you think they would do it? And more importantly, How would you like them to do it?

Personally it’d like it if they did some kind of more Arc based quest story… But I want that for everything, so no pressure.

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:47PM EST
Quote

@Japanese ponies

Neat. RD won’t get any love though as she doesn’t know a woman’s place

Jan 23, 2013 at 04:53PM EST
Quote

Anime MLP would be kind of interesting. I’ve always had a headcanon where there is a seventh element represented by a teenage human named Josh Larson, and him and the Mane Six have access to the real world and Equestria, and the Mane Six are humans in the real world. Since Japan knows their freakyshit, I think they could handle that just fine.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:04PM EST
Quote

@Parrot

Actually, MLP is already quite popular in Japan among some circles of otaku. I have met several Japanese that are fans of MLP.

Someone has actually uploaded a Japanese fansub of MLP to NicoNico Douga

There’s even an article in derpyhoovesnews from 2011 showing translated comments of otaku’s catching diabeetus

The reason why it may be so popular is because of the moe subculture present within otaku culture, a larger cultural appreciation of animation and the fascination with American culture held by some Japanese.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:36PM EST
Quote

@MLP in Japan

I already knew about this, and my view on the subject:

…but still, it’s just MLP in Japan. Sure, it may get very popular over there, but any sort of ‘renaissance’ will be oriented around all the stuff existing bronies have gotten over. So…yeah.

Cool, but not exactly “OMG EPIC BLAH BLAH BLAH” amazing.


The Brony Doomsday Clock’s new time is five minutes to midnight

Anyway, I’d like to ask again, in relation to my earlier points

What can we really classify MLP as?

The reason I ask is to see how we see the series

I’ll give three classification options, and I’ll tell you what I think, and then we can discuss all this


Random/Anthology

ex: The Simpsons, Johnny Test, Regular Show, etc.

These shows are known to be a little more lighthearted and comedic. Foremost, the episodes have individual plots, connected by a universal setting. The plots act independently and (usually) don’t rely on each other. There is no big story line that the series revolves around, or has an endpoint for.

The cast is usually static and don’t change personalities or characteristics throughout the series, instead remaining the same way. Their choices and actions don’t usually influence future events in the series.

Chronicle/Adventure

ex: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

In this, episode plots will act as mini-stories in one central, set universe and timeline. The cast may have dynamic qualities and are subject to some change as time goes by, but for the most part, they stay relatively the same in personality and character. In these as well, the events of one episode or story arc may affect a future one, but not necessarily, and if so, the effect usually isn’t too major. These also can feature multiple simultaneous story lines that focus on one or more characters at a time per episode or story arc. However, choices in these story-lines rarely have any major effect on anyone else’s. However, changes or choices are usually permanent.

Sequential/Chronicle

Ex: Game of Thrones, 24, Battlestar: Galactica, etc.

In these, the entire series follows one story line, leading to an outcome. These are usually very cinematic shows that feature a wide range of characters, recurring or not. Typically, though, the recurring cast is very dynamic and is very subject to change as time goes by. Choices made by characters more often than naught have a significant impact on future events in the series, either in a long run or near-immediately. Characters will also respond to the choices of another, and as a result, may develop into something different than when he/she was first introduced. Also, like above, choices here have permanent outcomes and will have an impact on the show.


In my opinion, MLP is a bit like the first example. The show really isn’t big-story oriented, but has a more anthological theme to it. This is probably why I didn’t like all these changes (and certainly oppose the Twilicorn), because they counter what the series seemingly is: not a production, but just a for-fun anthology of events. Permanent changes in that kind of setting, in my opinion, aren’t good. Take a look at Maude Flanders. Is not her death a commonly accepted point of “shark-jumping” in the Simpsons?

Anyway, that last point was just personal opinion. I’d like to hear your responses.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:39PM EST
Quote

@Anime Pones
This is relevant to my interests!

Seriously, seeing the entire show redone in a super-detailed style like that would be insane!

@Zero
Ponies with anime story conventions?
Well, there is someone remaking the entire pilot episode(s) in the style of a Japanese ‘harem’ manga thing.
All the characters are the same except that Twilight is a guy who essentially ends up with 5 girlfriends.
You can read it here: The Unexpected Love Life of Dusk Shine
Lots of anime tropes and wackiness in there.

@Fifths
“They want me to wear what?!

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:54PM EST
Quote

@mlp in japan

Did Pinkie get a cute new advertisement pose?

(because if that’s the case I’m gonna need a complete vector of that, internet).

Speaking of ponies in different languages, I still love the opening for the Italian version.

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:19PM EST
Quote

now that fluttershy and discord are friends……lets hope that something like this never happens

Jan 23, 2013 at 08:23PM EST
Quote

In other news I liked Dredd, any Dredd/pony crossovers? Pinkie Pie wouldn’t need drugs to see everything in slow motion.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:56PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b? wrote:

In other news I liked Dredd, any Dredd/pony crossovers? Pinkie Pie wouldn’t need drugs to see everything in slow motion.

Dredd was OK. I just expected it to be…cooler…

Probably would of helped if I’d gone to the theater and seen it in 3D. A lot of the shots they made specifically so it would feel real with the 3D tech. (said so in the extra features.) I also probably need more Dredd…yea… definitely.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:21PM EST
Quote

I went into the movie with low hopes like most action movies I watch. I got more than I wanted lol. I agree about the fucking slow motion shots, why can’t filmmakers make good 3D movies that look good in both 3D AND 2D? Look at some of these movies shot in 3D in 2D and it just looks ridiculous, if you ever watch a Resident Evil movie (you know, if you’re in the mood for a good laugh) make sure it’s in 3D at least, it’s just so damn pointless.

To Stay on Topic on this board: Pone.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:34PM EST
Quote

@EFP

It’s a good thing that this thread has toned itself down and isn’t filling 200 pages in 1 month. It’s actually possible to follow.

In fact this thread is still hard to follow.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:42AM EST
Quote

Just went to see a course coordinator about my next Trimester for College… I’m going to be spending 16 weeks drawing.

…He wants me to spend almost all my time drawing…

>MFW he says he doesn’t mind if it ends up as an entire book full of ponies.

I think I’m prepared for that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:23AM EST
Quote

@Anime Ponies:

NO! ANIME PONIES WILL SUCK JUST LIKE THIS PILE OF FILTH

Also, the state of the Japanese animation industry these days doesn’t fill me with a lot of hope if a hypothetical ponu version is made.

It’ll probably be some shallow K-On ripoff that the majority of anime is nowadays.

@Judge Dredd:

I fucking loved the latest Judge Dredd. It nails the feel of the comic really well and Karl Urban…..DAT SCOWL!

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:17AM EST
Quote

@Judge Dredd: I want to really watch that movie. Isn’t Dredd himself played by the guy who made McCoy from the new Star Trek movie? I can’t remeber his name now.

@Anime Ponies: Nonononono. No. Japanese animations/Anime tend to be weird, especially when it is based in a regular cartoon. I mean, look what they did with The PowerPuff Girls! It’s totally totally AWAY from the cartoon you watched saturday morning.
I wonder what kind of crazy crap will happen if there is an MLP anime… Let’s see… There will be aliens… Twilight will be some kind of witch… Spike will be her small chibi companion… And they have to retrieve the Elements of Harmony from Discord to save the Pony galaxy! HA!

The anime (probably) will be:

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 09:04AM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 09:02AM EST
Quote

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

This thread isn’t going as fast as they used to. I am disappoint fellow KYM bronies.

I’m actually kind of glad it has slowed down a little bit. At least now I can more easily catch up on all the stuff I miss overnight! That said, it’s a little sad to log in to KYM in the morning to see that no one has posted in the past 10 hours…


@Anime Ponies
You know, I would actually like to see an episode in which they spoof anime! I think it would be funny. They’ve a done stop-motion felt bit, they’ve done old black-and-white sequences, they’ve even done VHS-quality scenes. For just a few minutes of one episode, I would quite enjoy an anime parody!

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:06PM EST
Quote

Anime Ponies:
If think if there was ever anything that would make me want to start disowning the fandom it would stem from the Japanese premiere of the show. I can’t stand most real anime, most of them are endless loops of terrible animation, worse writing, and overused tropes. Completely devoid of substance and laced with fetishistic characters and pandering to the lowest common denominator of nerd-dom. I have some pretty serious issues with otaku culture, I don’t want any more of that in my life then I already have.

Not that I’m worried of course, the Japanese version of the show is completely identical to the english version aside from the voices. They would have to go to some serious lengths to ruin the show using only the voice acting.

Jan 24, 2013 at 02:43PM EST
Quote

I’m detecting a little bit of hostility towards anime in general here… Which is… Disappointing considering most of my favorite shows have been anime.

Yeah, it’s probably not for everyone I’ll admit that…

But the majority of anime I’ve watched and enjoyed is essentially similar to MLP already, just with long plot arcs and Some action sequences.

Eh, Never mind…

Jan 24, 2013 at 03:03PM EST
Quote

So, Equestria Daily just tossed these up:

Clicking the images will take you to the source.



Any thoughts on this matter? It’s a bit more convincing than the overseas toy images, certainly, but it’s still something mostly founded on rumor. I think it would be interesting to see Twilight’s destiny interchanged with Celestia’s. She’d have to find a cure for the disaster with a young Celestia constantly nipping around at her heels. We hardly see any real development between these two supposedly very close characters, and it’d be a nice relationship build between the two. I don’t know how they could fit it all into one episode, though.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 03:17PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 03:11PM EST
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

So, Equestria Daily just tossed these up:

Clicking the images will take you to the source.



Any thoughts on this matter? It’s a bit more convincing than the overseas toy images, certainly, but it’s still something mostly founded on rumor. I think it would be interesting to see Twilight’s destiny interchanged with Celestia’s. She’d have to find a cure for the disaster with a young Celestia constantly nipping around at her heels. We hardly see any real development between these two supposedly very close characters, and it’d be a nice relationship build between the two. I don’t know how they could fit it all into one episode, though.

From the writer himself:


And for those of you following the current episodes:


Those Angel faces @ :50!

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 04:52PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 04:32PM EST
Quote

Looks like Cracked took a bit of a swing at us.

It’s an article about some of the weird shit bronies have produced with some decidedly negative connotations. I’m irritated not really because what the article has to say, we’ve all seen worse, but because that it’s coming from cracked. I used to thoroughly enjoy and respect reading cracked, but I feel its quality and integrity have been seriously diminishing lately.

[ / ] Rustled
[ ] Unrustled

@Spoilers

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 04:48PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 04:43PM EST
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

From the writer himself:


And for those of you following the current episodes:


Those Angel faces @ :50!

As much as I’d like to talk about the current episodes, no one seems interested in them. As for the wild, rampant speculation: We’re talking about episodes that haven’t aired yet. Almost everything is speculation.

Jan 24, 2013 at 04:56PM EST
Quote

You guys do realize that under a technicality Twilight is already a Princess, even if she’s not an Alicorn… Right?

Her Brother is Married to Cadance… You know, Canterlock Wedding?

By all rights that puts her in the legal position to inherit the empire.

Thus, she’s a Princess.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 05:09PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 04:58PM EST
Quote

Hey, wild speculation is half the fun! Where would we be without crazy guesses?

@Twilight as a Princess
Don’t they already have enough princesses? I think it’s about time one of them tries to be Queen. Although, Queens are usually villains in these cartoons, so maybe that wouldn’t end well…

EDIT: @ZeroBlue
Well, that doesn’t necessarily make her a princess per say, but it would put her in a position of power. Royal in-laws aren’t really all that royal…

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 05:05PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 05:02PM EST
Quote

@Japan: Well there are already a lot of Japanese fans, so I’m sure it’ll go fine when it goes overseas. The more the merrier, I always say!

@Spoilers: Odd, confusing, but I’m still going to be calm and kept about. I may be insane, but I ain’t gonna let something like this decide the fate of my connection to this cartoon. I’ll just have to wait and see when it comes out.

@Cracked: The authors of that article don’t look like any of the regulars like Seanbaby or Cheese. And what the heck is a quick fix? I’d say it’s an amateur article at best. And it didn’t even mention cupcakes… File it in the whatever category.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 05:13PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 05:11PM EST
Quote

Commodore 64 wrote:

Hey, wild speculation is half the fun! Where would we be without crazy guesses?

@Twilight as a Princess
Don’t they already have enough princesses? I think it’s about time one of them tries to be Queen. Although, Queens are usually villains in these cartoons, so maybe that wouldn’t end well…

EDIT: @ZeroBlue
Well, that doesn’t necessarily make her a princess per say, but it would put her in a position of power. Royal in-laws aren’t really all that royal…

Well, Considering she’s currently the only Heir to the Crystal Kindgom after Shining Armour we know of, that at least makes her an Heir Presumptive, if not Heir Apparent.

As those terms aren’t used as an actual title very often, instead, most use the terms “Crown Prince” and “Crown Princess”.

Of course, this is by no means a universal title, some places may use Duke. And I Forget the Term that Sheakspeare used for Macbeth before he became King, but that works too.

But considering Duke BlueBlood was Referred to as Prince BlueBlood, The difference is Jack.

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 05:24PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 05:17PM EST
Quote

ZeroBlue4 wrote:

Of course, this is by no means a universal title, some places may use Duke. And I Forget the Term that Sheakspeare used for Macbeth before he became King, but that works too.

Thane.

ZeroBlue4 wrote:

You guys do realize that under a technicality Twilight is already a Princess, even if she’s not an Alicorn… Right?
Her Brother is Married to Cadance… You know, Canterlock Wedding?
By all rights that puts her in the legal position to inherit the empire.
Thus, she’s a Princess.

This is true, and she’s listed as such on some official merchandising. However, the term “Princess” in MLP seems to refer to the positions of power and authority. This, along with the fact that her rise in social status happened at the end of last season points to a different subject entirely for this finale. [Insert wild speculation no one wants to read here].

@Cracked article
The contributors don’t seem to be regulars, and they were probably just trying to take a swing at bronies at a place they knew their opinions would be read. The fact that they used porn/gore kind of points that they’re grasping at straws.

As for the Fallout: Equestria novel comments.. was that really necessary? There are many novels that are written as spin-offs of more adult shows, but you don’t hear anyone bitching about them. I haven’t read FO:E as it doesn’t really interest me, so I have no real loyalty to it. That was just plain rude, though.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:35PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

You guys do realize that under a technicality Twilight is already a Princess, even if she’s not an Alicorn… Right?

Her Brother is Married to Cadance… You know, Canterlock Wedding?

By all rights that puts her in the legal position to inherit the empire.

Thus, she’s a Princess.

I think she has to be the one married to royalty, not her brother. So no, she’s not a princess.

Jan 24, 2013 at 05:42PM EST
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

As much as I’d like to talk about the current episodes, no one seems interested in them. As for the wild, rampant speculation: We’re talking about episodes that haven’t aired yet. Almost everything is speculation.

Everyone has posted their episode reactions, but no one really wants to discuss it. I would like to hear some opinions that go further than “liked it, Discord and lel”. Right now only Verbose has posted more than one consecutive line (I am exaggerating a bit…)

So yeah I am interested in it!

EDIT: Or do you just want to talk about the upcoming episode? Well that would be a different thing…

@spoiler discussion
If you are discussing spoilers, please do it in SPOILERS!

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 06:02PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 05:44PM EST
Quote

Harshwhinny wrote:

So, Equestria Daily just tossed these up:

Clicking the images will take you to the source.



Any thoughts on this matter? It’s a bit more convincing than the overseas toy images, certainly, but it’s still something mostly founded on rumor. I think it would be interesting to see Twilight’s destiny interchanged with Celestia’s. She’d have to find a cure for the disaster with a young Celestia constantly nipping around at her heels. We hardly see any real development between these two supposedly very close characters, and it’d be a nice relationship build between the two. I don’t know how they could fit it all into one episode, though.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:29PM EST
Quote

@Twilicorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

It’s a bad plan that cannot be altered – Publilius Syrus

In essence, any bad idea is ALWAYS going to be a bad idea. No matter how good or well you try to make it, it’s going to be bad. As I said about Darth Maul in TCW, it’s not going to be good.

I don’t give a flying f### if Larson’s writing it, it’s a bad idea, and will always be so.

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:11PM EST
Quote

PopperFett the Mandalore wrote:

@Twilicorn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk

It’s a bad plan that cannot be altered – Publilius Syrus

In essence, any bad idea is ALWAYS going to be a bad idea. No matter how good or well you try to make it, it’s going to be bad. As I said about Darth Maul in TCW, it’s not going to be good.

I don’t give a flying f### if Larson’s writing it, it’s a bad idea, and will always be so.

And like I said,

The whole concept of a pretty magical pony show for little girls is a bad idea.

Yet here we are.

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

@Judge Dredd: I want to really watch that movie. Isn’t Dredd himself played by the guy who made McCoy from the new Star Trek movie? I can’t remeber his name now.

Well, it’s in my post right above yours :(.

Karl Urban, who is a fan of the comic books.

Zeroblue wrote:

I’m detecting a little bit of hostility towards anime in general here… Which is… Disappointing considering most of my favorite shows have been anime.

My favourite show of all time is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, an anime. I grew up watching anime but unfortunately recent anime seems to be nothing but the era of Moe, and I have no reason to watch that.

WhitishCollar wrote:

Everyone has posted their episode reactions, but no one really wants to discuss it. I would like to hear some opinions that go further than “liked it, Discord and lel”. Right now only Verbose has posted more than one consecutive line (I am exaggerating a bit…)

Considering Deadparrot, Gigatoast, Blue Screen and Teh Brawler wrote enough that I withheld my own opinion because it basically amounted to “I will repeat exactly what these gentlemen said here” I don’t know where you’re getting that from.

But open a debate if you wish, no one is gonna bite ya.

Except Deadparrot, watch what you say about Scootaloo around him.

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:29PM EST
Quote

Popperfett:

In essence, any bad idea is ALWAYS going to be a bad idea. No matter how good or well you try to make it, it’s going to be bad.

Burning Pheonix:

And like I said,

The whole concept of a pretty magical pony show for little girls is a bad idea.

Yet here we are.

Both sides sound like they have a point, but the real question here is: What is Good and Bad? Other than Answering with a Line from Shakespeare about thinking makes it so that is.

Ultimately, it comes down to how circumstantially important the idea is to the rest of the story. or in plain English, how much that single idea is able to integrate with the others.

In a Vacuum, just about everything becomes a bad idea. But link the ideas together, preferably around a single idea, and you’re going to get the idea to be much better.

And now, let’s look at Pegalight or Twilicorn or whatever we’re calling it nowadays. If it winds up “Just happening”, then yeah, bad idea. But if it’s done with a fair Focus of Friendship, such as perhaps she’s doing it because she needs to help her friends, or she’s only able to muster the strength to go through with it because her friends are there for her, then that’s better. Not perfect, but better.

Now, considering what I just wrote is coming from the most amateur perspective possible, and I’m able to make it sound good to me at least. Then in some sense a professional writer who actually knows how to properly integrate an idea with the core theme should have no problem with pulling this off.

So, yeah, I believe in M.A. Larson.

Edit: Okay, Next!

My favourite show of all time is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, an anime. I grew up watching anime but unfortunately recent anime seems to be nothing but the era of Moe, and I have no reason to watch that.

Moe is mostly something to tolerate. Considering I came in when I saw it start happening, I’ve grown used to it. It made me groan back at the turn of the century, and still makes me groan, but considering it doesn’t usually get in the way of the appeal of whatever show I’m watching, I forgive it.

Of course, I’m a bit under-read on classics, so I should Check those out.

Should I go with Captain Harlock First? Or what you watched?

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 10:30PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:11PM EST
Quote

@Zero

I like your thinking, but I can also argue against it. Which, I will do so.

My opinion isn’t that M.A. Larson isn’t a good writer. He is, in fact, a very good writer. My perspective simply takes a view in which the idea itself, no matter how much ‘good’ that might be attempted to be put into it, is inherently a bad one.

I bring back The Clone Wars for this example. I know you are tired of hearing it, but I stress the comparison of the Twilicorn/Pegalight to Darth Maul’s return. The writers of The Clone Wars did in fact make the arcs of episodes starring the returned Sith Lord into very, very cool episodes. The only problem was the concept behind them: a character killed on-screen brought back to life for no apparent reason or any well-thought out explanation, other than miraculously being able to survive and escape the pit he fell into.

Now, as for comparing how writers work, I have you also know The Clone Wars is home to quite possibly one of my (if not my favorite) arc of episodes ever: The Mortis Trilogy (on a side note, if you ever see TCW on, and see the episodes “Overlords”, “Altar of Mortis”, and “Ghosts of Mortis”, watch them all; they’re well worth it). A brief description is that the three heroes (Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka) all end up stranded on a strange world populated by three god-like figures, the Son, the Daughter, and the Father. Here, Anakin faces trials about who he is, and what “The Chosen One” is really about. May sound strange to non-fanatic Star Wars fanboys, but I will say it was amazing.

The problem is, the same writers had the idea for Darth Maul. As stated, though Maul’s stories were epic, they were plagued by his unnecessary return. The episodes suffer for such a poor decision in story. The plots have also gotten a bit…less fruitful than before.

The Twilicorn is really like that decision: it really breaks off from what the series is really about and probably plague the series from then on in regards to quality. As with other bad ideas, it could potentially condemn the series to a premature demise. Even with Larson writing, this idea is pretty bad, and probably will not do well for the series. Not that I doubt Larson as a writer; I just don’t think anyone can save that kind of plotline.

tl;dr Though writers can write really good stories, nothing can really save a bad plotline from being bad

Last edited Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58PM EST
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:54PM EST
Quote

@still more alicorn twilight discussion

weather your sold on the idea or not, you gotta admit it’s inspired some nice fanart.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:59PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!