Forums / Discussion / General

172,874 total conversations in 5,671 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

@spoilers
The biggest problem with the finale was timing. In the grand scheme of things, had the episodes aired one after another with no breaks, Hasbro could have ran the spell screws with everyone’s cutie marks and we would have been surprised and shocked with Twilight becoming an alicorn. The problem was Hub programming kept putting in breaks between episodes. This then led to the conflict that probably prompted the spoilers to be released; Toy Fair. Had the episode premiered the weekend of Toy Fair and before the Hasbro Investors Meeting, the fans may not have been flipping as many tables. While very little was revealed at the UK’s version, the US one was going to drop a lot about upcoming product and that was going to be the big thing in the pony line this year. Still, the Hub could have kept very little in the dark about the episode but probably was told “they’ve seen the product, just give them the run down of the episode”.

But with spoiling in general I’d rather they keep it to a one sentence summary and an ambiguous screen shot that doesn’t give away the whole ordeal

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Hey and update from the guy that was “engaged” with Twilight Sparkle.

This guy literally has to have a mental defect. This is not even close to normal human behavior. And I say this not to be mean or condescending, but because he probably needs psychological help.

>Feel sad because those pictures are so pathetic
>Feel angry because the guy is acting like kind of an asshole
>Feel suspicious because don’t know if troll
>Feel daws because they kind of make a cute couple

Deadparrot should take a picture of himself with all his Twilights and send it to him.

@Crazy

Isnt’t insomnia something of a prerequisite for your job? :P

@Spoilers

I don’t see the big deal, I just ignore them. Have a little willpower people

In a completely unrelated note, I’ve gotten to the point in my sleep deprevation where I’ve started to hallucinate chess! During my last class, my mind started to turn my fellow classmates into pieces, the desks into spaces on the board, and the professor at the front into the king to be mated. I checked him a few times, but he kept moving around so I never got mate.

@Xtsg

I was up until 2 A.M. playing chess. I was up until 8 A.M. finishing a project at which point I went to school. No sleep, ready to die now.

Okay, I’m going to go be unconcious for awhile. Later all.

Last edited Mar 21, 2013 at 03:06PM EDT

Sonata Dusk wrote:

Not yet, and probably not for about a week. I just ordered Regular #4 and Micro-Series #1. Sad to see it end so soon (I could see them carrying the story for a few more issues, but oh well). The next story looks like it’s going to be awesome though.

From BleedingCool:
Nightmare Moon returns! But it’s not the same old Nightmare Moon! Someone new, someone close to our heroes, has taken the mantle! What will the Ponies do when the danger hits so close to home? Read it and find out!

Here are two known covers from #6 and #7 (respectively).

Looks like the Mane 5 is going to have another dark adventure on their hands hooves!

…Wait, Mane 5? I’m seeing a distinct lack of marshmallows. Where is Rarity during all this? Hell, even Luna showed up!

Oh, there she is, on the alternate cover for #6:

Her absence on the main covers is noted however, as the comic covers don’t always portray what exactly happens in the contents. Could it be that we might have a Nightmare Rarity on our hands in the future? Or is she just becoming a lazy pony and not showing up for work? I’m looking at you, Season 3.

So, I posted this about two weeks ago. Figured it was time for a little additional coverage.

Click image for source.

Seems Rarity’s disappearance from the covers WILL be a major plot point. Not sure if she’s been kidnapped or something (it’s happened before), but with how the plot covers the return of Nightmare Moon in the form of “someone very close to the ponies”, it looks like we’ll have a Nightmarity story on our hands.

This may make the battle between who are my favorite ponies even harder: Luna/Nightmare Moon OR Rarity/Nightmarity. I will be conflicted.

@Fifths
Astronomy is often done staring at a computer screen nowadays, but yeah, I qualify as a night owl. School forced me to keep to a day schedule before, and research keeps me to staying awake during most of the day now, but it’s pretty common for me to pass out at 3, 4, or 5 in the morning. I’ve tried several times to coordinate myself back to the “normal” hours, but it just hasn’t happened. Come to the point where I just settle with being a 4 – 5 hours of sleep kind of guy.

Last edited Mar 21, 2013 at 04:25PM EDT

Sonata Dusk wrote:

So, I posted this about two weeks ago. Figured it was time for a little additional coverage.

Click image for source.

Seems Rarity’s disappearance from the covers WILL be a major plot point. Not sure if she’s been kidnapped or something (it’s happened before), but with how the plot covers the return of Nightmare Moon in the form of “someone very close to the ponies”, it looks like we’ll have a Nightmarity story on our hands.

This may make the battle between who are my favorite ponies even harder: Luna/Nightmare Moon OR Rarity/Nightmarity. I will be conflicted.

@Fifths
Astronomy is often done staring at a computer screen nowadays, but yeah, I qualify as a night owl. School forced me to keep to a day schedule before, and research keeps me to staying awake during most of the day now, but it’s pretty common for me to pass out at 3, 4, or 5 in the morning. I’ve tried several times to coordinate myself back to the “normal” hours, but it just hasn’t happened. Come to the point where I just settle with being a 4 – 5 hours of sleep kind of guy.

I don’t want to be the dick that mentions Rarity being a background pony……But I will

Ahem

Rarity is missing? Did you check the background?!

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

I don’t want to be the dick that mentions Rarity being a background pony……But I will

Ahem

Rarity is missing? Did you check the background?!

Spoiler tags.

The comics are pretty much the one thing we have right now where the plot is mostly unknown. Considering they’re canon, it’s kind of inappropriate to tag show spoilers, but not the comic spoilers.

Last edited Mar 21, 2013 at 04:32PM EDT

Kewln00b:

I know lots of people who don’t want to be spoiled and it sucks when their surprise is ruined for them. Especially when that means if they don’t want to be spoiled they basically have to lock themselves in a room with no connection to cable or internet anywhere.

I agree completely. As one of those unfortunate people who tries to avoid spoilers, I know that feel all too well. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, it is just impossible to avoid certain things. I knew Discord was coming back before the episode aired, and I knew what would happen to Twilight. Not that the knowledge of those events made the episodes any less enjoyable, it’s just that the surprise would have been nice.

Now that I look back on the matter, they did release a lot of spoilers and episode teasers this season, didn’t they?

@Dating Twilight Sparkle

I don’t even. I’m really not sure what to make of that…

Sonata Dusk wrote:

Click image for source.

@Fifths

>idw hinting towards a Rarity centered arc in their covers
>Rarity become Nightmarity
>She’s missing from the entire arc aside from the last few pages of the last issue
>mfw it’s Games Ponies Play all over again.

Fifths wrote:

It’s somewhat hard to use willpower to avoid spoilers when a lot of people post spoilers without warning anyway.

In general, I don’t care how many spoilers are revealed as long as there is some sort of spoiler warning/tag used.

On the topic of Mr. Marrying Twilight Sparkle: If this guy’s a troll, then he’s a really fucking good one. I am somewhat starting to wonder what their wedding will be like. Where will Twilight be wearing her wedding ring? Where are they getting married? Is this guy gonna get a wedding planner and expect them to take it seriously? Will there be photos of this wedding? So many questions, so little answers.

Crimson Locks wrote:

Fifths wrote:

It’s somewhat hard to use willpower to avoid spoilers when a lot of people post spoilers without warning anyway.

In general, I don’t care how many spoilers are revealed as long as there is some sort of spoiler warning/tag used.

On the topic of Mr. Marrying Twilight Sparkle: If this guy’s a troll, then he’s a really fucking good one. I am somewhat starting to wonder what their wedding will be like. Where will Twilight be wearing her wedding ring? Where are they getting married? Is this guy gonna get a wedding planner and expect them to take it seriously? Will there be photos of this wedding? So many questions, so little answers.

Like how people have been randomly spoiling the season finale of the Walking Dead? It’s all over Tumbler, man am I glad I don’t use Tumbler.

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

Like how people have been randomly spoiling the season finale of the Walking Dead? It’s all over Tumbler, man am I glad I don’t use Tumbler.

I like how this page began with a general agreement about disliking spoilers and then proceeded to discuss the details of the still-unreleased comic book outside of the spoiler tags that it began underneath.

@Twilight waifu
So that’s the guy!
Twily is always talking about ‘her ex’ whenever we go out so it’s nice to finally see who she’s referring to.
Like just tonight when I gave her my newest love poem while listening to some elegant classical music, she mentioned how bad he was at letting go.
Apparently, he’s passing around pictures of the two of them together from over a year ago and pretending that they still have a relationship!
But that’s just silly!
Twily has wings now so those pictures are obviously out of date!
Give it up, man; she’s mine now!

(God damn it, Internet. Stop making me be weird…)

@Deadparrot
~ @Spoilers
I said something about it. Was promptly ignored. :\

~ @Love Letter to Twilight
Newest love letter from you, huh? Lies! I know for a fact that Scootaloo delivered that letter!

See! She’s even wearing her absolutely adorable telegram outfit for the delivery!

@Marriagelight in General
Hmm. Bet that guy is really jealous now, seeing as Twilight is available to everyone for the low price of $25.

I.. I just really don’t want to know what he does with that thing at night. I hope it’s easily washable.

Sonata Dusk wrote:

@Deadparrot
~ @Spoilers
I said something about it. Was promptly ignored. :\

~ @Love Letter to Twilight
Newest love letter from you, huh? Lies! I know for a fact that Scootaloo delivered that letter!

See! She’s even wearing her absolutely adorable telegram outfit for the delivery!

@Marriagelight in General
Hmm. Bet that guy is really jealous now, seeing as Twilight is available to everyone for the low price of $25.

I.. I just really don’t want to know what he does with that thing at night. I hope it’s easily washable.

Ssssh don’t mention what he does with that. My brain is still scarred after just typing something that might come close to thinking about-OH GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT WITH A DOLL?! Never be clean never be cleaaaan

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

lolsupguise

That was beautiful man.
And I ain’t going to go into the whole “oh god a Mary Sue” because I need ponies as I wait for season 4. I’ll take it and I’ll like it.

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 01:12AM EDT

@Snowdrop
That was very good!

@Mary Sue accusation
I was a little wary of the whole ‘blind kid’ angle at first, but it wasn’t overdone and I think it was used well (i.e. minimally).
For me, the blindness didn’t even factor into the emotional aspect anywhere near as much as the connection to Luna.
The whole speech about the beauty of winter sounded so close to being about night that it was nice to see Luna react, and then the ending just pounded it home.
I didn’t cry, but it hit me significantly harder than I expected it to.
Good job, Silly Filly Studios!

On the topic of fan animations, is anyone else simultaneously laughing at and feeling a little sorry for the Double Rainboom guys?

They’ve been in production for over a year now and always billed themselves as ‘The first fan-made episode’ and then, a week before their long-awaited premiere, Snowdrop flies in out of nowhere.
It’s a little short so maybe the title of ‘episode’ doesn’t entirely fit, but it is certainly one of the most ambitious projects yet and it sort of slipped itself in before Double Rainboom.

Rainbow Dash’s mini-comic also launched just a few days ago and guess what’s in there?

Yep, literally the title event from Double Rainboom in a canon form, just days before they release their year-long project.
I’m guessing that pants were crapped in excitement, but there must be a slight feeling of… stolen thunder?
Now Double Rainboom isn’t even the first instance of a double rainboom!
(Note: I am not accusing the comic of stealing the idea. It’s a basic enough concept that I can believe that both teams came up with it independently.)

Now, I’m sure that DR team has no ill feelings at all (They are even in the credits of Snowdrop), but the timing just struck me.

@Video Games
Not another example, but an expansion of one that is listed.
More Scribblenauts (Mac and AB on the Apple team, Dash-inspired jogger, DJ-PON3, and Spike team):

As for your question, I think that’s a little misleading.
I don’t think it’s so much ‘bronies are effecting the gaming industry’ as ‘there are bronies in the gaming industry.’
Ponies have a big, at-least-partially nerdy fandom following.
Video game designers and developers tend to be rather nerdy and have liked hiding secret stuff in their games for decades now.
(Tons of examples like a TARDIS in the original Fallout or the Indiana Jones reference in Fallout 3. Countless others across the industry.)
It makes perfect sense that the newest internet fandom sensation would end up bleeding into the industry, but it isn’t some kind of subversive plot or directed ‘spread.’

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 02:43PM EDT

Hey guys, I drew a thing.

Luna is not playing a cello, but an instrument called a viola da gamba, a member of the viol family. Despite the similar name and appearence, it’s actually more closely related to the guitar than the members of the violin family (It’s basically just an early guitar flipped upright and played with a bow)

It’s an instrument that was used by individuals of the gentry in the late middle ages to play music for themselves in a private setting. Its dark and rich sound quality earned it a reputation as an intellectual instrument unlike the violin whose bright sound earned it a reputation as clownish.

Here’s a video of someone playing for those interested.

Oh, and the drawing is called A Little Night Music because Mozart named one of his famous pieces that. Ha ha, so fahnny…

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 04:19PM EDT

@Snowdrops fanisode

Still haven’t seen it, but everyone says the feels are intense so I’ll have to brace myself. As for the “Mary Sue” thing, I’ve read a fanfic where Celestia and Luna have a brother who’s been leading Equestria’s army against wolves, dragons, and two other species I can’t recall of the top of my head--and it’s awesome!

In news nobody cares about, Regent, the sequel to my Twilicorn fic Ascend, almost has its first chapter done. I might be able to get it out tomorrow if I cram.

I’ll check out Snowdrop later. Call me what you want but I’m very picky about fan animations. They can have whatever animation they want but the thing that gets me is one thing.

The voice acting.

Hell not even the voice acting itself, the quality of the recording equipment or something. Look at Team Four Star’s DBZ Abridged series, good series right? But then the chick playing Bulma comes in and the audio quality of her voice just kind of kills it for me. Hell it’s even hard for me to watch the first few episodes of Friendship is Witchcraft due to that. That’s my problem, I need to be in a VERY good mood to watch fan animations cause when I heard that first colt speak the Fan animation snob in me had to stop it for a bit. But like I said I’ll have to check it out when I’m in a better mood (not today especially, had a pretty shitty day at work today so nowhere near in a good mood for a fan animation).

@Fanfics. Funny, I like to write all the time and was always hoping on being a screen writer but I have never attempted/desired to write an MLP fanfic. Weird.

I suppose that’s a good thing, I don’t think I’d be able to capture the spirit of the show and just make random epic stories that I’d probably never even finish.

EDIT: I have the weekend off and I just bought a new Bluray player that’s connected to Wifi with Netflix. And they also added Season 3 of MLP, IT’S MLP WEEKEND TIME! Because you know….no synctube.

Also….I got an upvote? I could’ve sworn that comment about me being a fan animation snob would’ve got me flagged to oblivion. It’s a Hearth’s Warming Miracle!

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 06:00PM EDT

Saw Snowdrop, and I was really impressed by the quality of the writing, voice acting, and animation. It really felt like it could have been a real episode in the actual show for me (with some polishing, of course). I don’t really see how Snowdrop could be considered a Mary Sue. I think people need to relearn what Mary Sue actually means. I didn’t cry when I watched it, but feels were felt. In fact, I think I might rewatch it soon.

On a side note, I really love Snowdrop’s mane for whatever reason. I mean, look at it!

/)^3^(\

Last edited Mar 22, 2013 at 08:59PM EDT

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

lolsupguise

Alright, I finally got around to watching this and…I thought it kind of sucked honestly.

The animation was crappy (Yes, I realize the massive amount of work that has to go in to make an animation that is even passable, but it was still poor quality), the music was rather generic even by the standards of background music, and the voice actors didn’t jive right for me.

I could have forgiven all that if the story itself didn’t come across sounding like so much bad fanfiction: The writing lacked levity and was far too melodramatic, the logic bordered on incoherent, and the characters were balls. I don’t think Snowdrop was a Mary Sue, but the character was still way too cliche for me to take seriously.

So even though I respect the scope of this project, I still think we must conclude it was a rather subpar piece of work. The general idea (origins of Pegasi making snowflakes) is actually pretty interesting and I think it could have really worked, but it needed A LOT more pollish

I did like this shot though where she explains how she tried to make a star.

And Luna is just looking at it like “Bitch please, do you even fusion?”

@Kewlnoob

Oh don’t even get me started. Do you have any idea how much of my music is ruined because of this witchcraft that is audio engineering? There’s a reason why people who want to become recording technicians have to study fucking physics.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 12:40AM EDT

Well, since I went back to digging through my old stuff, I found two moar scetches of abandoned pics. There was one more badly unfinished pic of Celestia as a filly, but that was just not nearly good enough to show, so I won’t.

But here’s at least two never seen pics. I haven’t even uploaded these to dA.

This one was supposed to be called “Ego”, but I just didn’t like the way the clean lineart came out to be. It was supposed to be shaded in black and white, but I just didn’t feel like doing it anymore, after I got the scetch transfered to proper paper.

And this pic was done back when Discord had just been introduced. I actually started on the coloring, but never finished it. The scetch is way better looking than the base colored picture, so I though it’d be better to show you this one instead.

That’s it for now.

I’m already laying down the base colors on the newest pic, but I haven’t even diluted them with water yet, so it’s still quite far from being finished.

I’ll get back to you guys when (and if) I get it finished, or have something worth contributing to the conversation.

@Snowdrop
It had some nice style, good animation, fitting bg music, even decent voice acting, but all those monologues were getting on my nerves.

They were breaking the “show don’t tell” rule constantly and it is really a shame, because they did put a lot of work into it. If you are telling a long background story with speeches, you should have some fitting visuals, which underline and accompany what’s being said.

And if you want some forced feels, you will find them here. All in all I found it quite dull.

But I think that you can appreciate the actual show a bit more after seeing other guys struggling with the pacing and storytelling. You are complaining so much about season 3 and rushed episodes that you don’t realize that dense storytelling, wasting not a second of screentime isn’t one of ponies biggest flaws. You know, the show could be worse, the show could be boring and dull…

MScratch wrote:

Here’s something Slinker and I have made:

Click on it to zoom in.

den outta den
Pyro as Blue Pyro, ha!
Also,
>implying I play heavy
>implying heavy isn’t my least played class
>implying not sniper master race
>1162+851

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 11:10AM EDT

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Hey and update from the guy that was “engaged” with Twilight Sparkle.

This guy literally has to have a mental defect. This is not even close to normal human behavior. And I say this not to be mean or condescending, but because he probably needs psychological help.

Not sure if psycho or just forever alone.

It has come to my attention that I never seem to be a part of thread things, like the TF2 thing. Why so?

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 01:32PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Now you can crush your enemies using a solid gold trophy of myself.

Now photoshop your face on that shiznit….

EDIT: Has anyone really wondered what goes on In the Friendship is Witchcraft writing session? I just have a feeling it’s really weird “Let’s make it so Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor are the ones that get married in the end” seems like a prime example.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 03:47PM EDT

BulletproofBrony, Ace Law Student wrote:

EDIT: The more I examine this image, the more fitting I realize it is. haha

Congrats for having the best post of the day.

Anyone else remember when this was a pony thread? Here have a pony

See, what y’all niggas don’t get about this pone is the fact that it perfectly describes how I’m feeling like after sitting through non-stop MLP for the last day.

Last edited Mar 23, 2013 at 04:59PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!