Forums / Discussion / General

171,091 total conversations in 5,485 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

In case you missed it… Remember Bender as Trixie from a few days ago? Here’s the full version, with narrated stage directions and (thank god) voice lists. Take a half an hour to watch this hilarious piece of work.

And page get, apparently. I’d like to dedicate this page to Trixie, since we’re talking about her episode.

Last edited Oct 07, 2012 at 10:51PM EDT
Oct 07, 2012 at 10:47PM EDT
Quote

Let’s move onto a new topic, perhaps.
How about: Equestria’s Technological Use and Advances

So, you may have noticed all of the weird technological situations throughout the seasons and episodes, many of which switch off and on for advanced technology.
It’s understandable to know that they are more environmental than much of us, but I find it strange to see a pony holding a flashlight with his/her teeth from out of nowhere.
Do you find it kind of strange too, or not?

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:18PM EDT
Quote

Eris the Pone wrote:

I’m bored, so here, have something somewhat interesting.

Lets take a look at the members and discussion topics of the past threads:

Pony General I page 77 Began on September 10, 2011. We had a Sweetie Belle Derelle, all page long. Posters included Dr. Greg, me, Ric, StarGazer, Karnage, Blue Yoshi, Romana, Beans, staz, RandomMan, badsitrep, and cite.

Pony General II page 77 Began October 16, 2011. We talked about the Royal Guards’ names, the new episode, and random stuffs. Posters included Blue Yoshi, Fridge Logic, me, Ric, Nathan, cite, Karnage, Daniel, and Berry Punch.

Pony General III page 77 Began November 14, 2011. We talked about shipping charts, ColgatexBerry, wet mane Rarity, other inappropriate stuff, and Assassins’ Creed. Posters included Ideo, Ric, Berry, me, badsitrep, Romana, cite, opspe, Dr. Greg, owens, Dac, Verbose, Daniel, nukefire, StarGazer, Riyku, and staz.

Pony General IV page 77 Started on January 8, 2012. We talked about newfaggotry and everyone got mad at each other! :D Posters included Pyro, Dac, Riyku, Iamslow, me, cite, JAB, Algie, Ric, Ideo, RandomMan, X, Ashbot, Verbose, Daniel, Bob, phoenix, and Ric.

Pony General V page 77 Started on April 13, 2012. We talked about rustled jimmies, grimdark stuff, the upcoming season finale, and The Pony Hub site. Posters included Dr. Greg, Solaire, Ric, BSoD, Pinkamena, DoctorHobo, Dac, Twins, Muffins, PopperFett, me, Verbose, Epicus, Chris, and pyro.

Pony General VI page 77 Started October 2, 2012. We talked about Springer bronies, clopping, fandoms, and Pony Politics. Posters included Trash Boat, Ingway, Bruno, Solaire, BSoD, Twilit, Verbose, DeadParrot, Omni, RandomMan, Commodore, phoenix, Fifths, disturbedbrony, Mexx, ExudesAffluence, opspe, Ice, me, Fun Police, chowzbergerz, and Dan.

So, you guys see any trends or anything?

No comment on this guys? Hmm

Well I just wanted to point out there really isn’t much you can gather from that analysis alone, considering the absolute randomness of every single page in each PG.

What you need to do is do the exact same thing for other pages: eg: page 5 of each PG, page 30 of each PG, page 100 of each PG etc etc.

If there is a notable trend in each set of pages that closely mimics a trend visible in other sets of pages, then you can start identifying a correlation.

In the set for page 77, yea you do notice the topics moving away from tomfoolery and get gradually more SRS with the topics and address more pressing matters as well as an increase of participants, but a set of page 78 could reveal an opposite trend for all we know.

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:56PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Fifths wrote:

I’m surprised that no one has proposed that Celestia and Luna are just figure heads at this point, like the royal family in the U.K. I mean think about it, how much governmental power have we really seen Celestia exercise? What has she really done besides frequent tea parties, preside over weddings, and prove stunningly useless at stopping any of the disasters that frequently threaten Equestria? How many laws have we seen her pass, how many executive actions have we seen her take?

The reason I see Celestia (and therefore Luna) having absolute power are:

  • Celestia making a decree/law for Twilight to study in Ponyville (gimme a break it’s a kid’s show, people don’t make serious laws in these shows often)
  • Twilight being afraid she will be banished from Ponyville by Celestia in Swarm of the Century and Lesson Zero
  • Word of God:
“I know “princess” sounds cuter and helps sell more toys, and because of that you were probably forced to keep her as a princess by the powers that be…"

That’s what happened. I was told that because of Disney movies, girls assume that Queens are evil (although I only remember 1 evil queen) and Princesses are good. I was also told that the perceived youth of a Princess is preferable to consumers.

She does not have parents that outrank her. I brought the weirdness of that situation to my bosses, but it did not seem to be a continuity concern to them, so I’m letting it alone. I always wanted her to be the highest authority, and so she remains so. And I certainly don’t want marriage to be what would escalate her. (Bad messages to girls and what not.)

Sorry I couldn’t give you a more satisfying answer. Maybe as the series goes on we can thread something together. I put up a bit of a fight when her title changed, but you win some, you loose some.

That’s a direct quote from Faust’s deviantArt. Short version: Celestia was going to be a queen with absolute power, now she still has that absolute power, according to Faust, just a title change at Hasbro’s request.


Due to this, I stand by my theory on the Equestrian government structure.

So, Celestia has ultimate power… But rarely needs to use it thanks to having a great system working under her. Sounds plausible.

She ends up having one regular job (raise sun), plus a bunch of things she does the rest of the day… 23 hours a day of free time, great power; both political and magical.

(Gah! Thread moved on too fast!)

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:25AM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

So, Celestia has ultimate power… But rarely needs to use it thanks to having a great system working under her. Sounds plausible.

She ends up having one regular job (raise sun), plus a bunch of things she does the rest of the day… 23 hours a day of free time, great power; both political and magical.

(Gah! Thread moved on too fast!)

>Celestia has ultimate power
>Beaten by Queen Chrysalis
>Idontgetit.jpg

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:33AM EDT
Quote

@BSOD: It was pretty much politics all page and a small joking section right at the end of best country. That’s pretty srs.


@ZeroBlue: EXACTLY. Thank you for shortening it to a very simple explanation. I tend to tl;dr and make really long, winding posts that don’t really clarify the ideas I have in my head. If you talk to me IRL, I usually talk really fast and ramble about a subject or a point I’ve got in my head, leaving the actual clarification and simplification of the point to the person I’m talking to. See? There I go.

And Lone, he’s talking ultimate governmental power, mostly. I also think that Chrysalis got a bit of a power upgrade from Shining Armor’s love that put her over the top.


@Lone K: It’s a kid’s show. I don’t think too much of it.

But if I must give any sort of reason, my headcanon is that technology evolved at different rates in our world and theirs. Thus the reason they have electric flashlights, but no internal combustion engine, as well as still being an environmental society. After all, who said that they needed to have technology develop exactly like ours?

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 12:41AM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

@BSOD: It was pretty much politics all page and a small joking section right at the end of best country. That’s pretty srs.


@ZeroBlue: EXACTLY. Thank you for shortening it to a very simple explanation. I tend to tl;dr and make really long, winding posts that don’t really clarify the ideas I have in my head. If you talk to me IRL, I usually talk really fast and ramble about a subject or a point I’ve got in my head, leaving the actual clarification and simplification of the point to the person I’m talking to. See? There I go.

And Lone, he’s talking ultimate governmental power, mostly. I also think that Chrysalis got a bit of a power upgrade from Shining Armor’s love that put her over the top.


@Lone K: It’s a kid’s show. I don’t think too much of it.

But if I must give any sort of reason, my headcanon is that technology evolved at different rates in our world and theirs. Thus the reason they have electric flashlights, but no internal combustion engine, as well as still being an environmental society. After all, who said that they needed to have technology develop exactly like ours?

@First reply towards me
That does make sense about both parts, but I thought he was talking about “ultimate power” as in strength or magical-wise.

@Second reply

Idk. I’m kind of that person who thinks and studies latest and earlier tech.
They got trains, horse (or pony)-drawn taxis (if I remember), modern lamps, electricity that I don’t know where it comes from, flashlights, ovens, stoves, spoons that I do not know how they are able to utilize them, glass cups (which is obviously not made just from natural heat [which is practically impossible unless under circumstances that allow so]), and the like.
It just kind of throws me into a loop.
Do they have power-lines? Transformers? Even more stuff that we do not know of?
My head hurts just from thinking of the possibilities.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:53AM EDT
Quote

I’ve been busy with work as of late plus I’m getting over a cold so haven’t been on and posting much. also I seem to spend more time in the IRC than posting but I will be here all this week so may jump in to the discussion a lil more.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:59AM EDT
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

I’ve been busy with work as of late plus I’m getting over a cold so haven’t been on and posting much. also I seem to spend more time in the IRC than posting but I will be here all this week so may jump in to the discussion a lil more.

Oh god, Daniel’s craziness is coming back.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 07:15AM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 07:15AM EDT
Quote

I FUCKING KNEW IT

Those are the Jerry Springer “Bronies”, apparently they are NOT hired actors, but neither are they Bronies, they just pretended to be ones for attention.


A bit late for the country discussion:

Rebel is best verb/noun. (Re-imagining The Game reference)

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:18AM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

@Lone K:

They do have a hydroelectric dam. You can see it in Mare Do Well.

Oh yeah.
Forgot about that one.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:44AM EDT
Quote

@Springer ‘bronies’

The insincerity and pretentiousness of people like that…it really irritates me. I’m not going to say my jimmies are rustled, only truly malignant souls possess the power to rustle my jimmies, and these guys are just two silly hipster douches who really didn’t mean any harm and really didn’t cause any harm either.

Still, they do irritate me in the same manner that the annoying kid on a plane irritates me.

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:22AM EDT
Quote

@Springer “bronies”

I have seen their reddit thread before. They didn’t get paid monetarily, but they got a flight, food, hotel, drinks, cigaretts and 15 minutes of fame. They are not hired actors, but they are still actors essentially, as they have no deeper understanding of ponies, but pretended to be bronies.

Their impromptu broniedom in the show wasn’t too bad after all. Irritating yes, but no rustling material.

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:42PM EDT
Quote

@Springer “Bronies”

Called it.

I have to agree with most previous opinions, Springer didn’t aim to put bronies in a bad spotlight like various other newssources did in the past, so kudos for that.

But nonetheless, this message is still fake, so it doesn’t hold any meaning to me.

Random pony pic.

Oct 08, 2012 at 04:38PM EDT
Quote

O.O

There are so many things wrong with this toy.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:23PM EDT
Quote

Check this.
REALLY CHECK IT.

That’s the mechromancer skilltree in Borderlands 2.
>Discord
>Make it Sparkle
>Evil Enchantress
>The Stare
>Fancy Mathematics
>Buck Up
>Potent as a Pony
>20% Cooler
>Sharing is caring.

Subtle, subtle as f*ck Gearbox.
BRB Enjoying the rage on /v/

Oh and a pic from the credits:

Gearbox confirmed for having shit taste in ponies.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 06:15PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 06:05PM EDT
Quote

X wrote:

Check this.
REALLY CHECK IT.

That’s the mechromancer skilltree in Borderlands 2.
>Discord
>Make it Sparkle
>Evil Enchantress
>The Stare
>Fancy Mathematics
>Buck Up
>Potent as a Pony
>20% Cooler
>Sharing is caring.

Subtle, subtle as f*ck Gearbox.
BRB Enjoying the rage on /v/

Oh and a pic from the credits:

Gearbox confirmed for having shit taste in ponies.

I hope you mean “shit” as in “awesome”, because my mind is…

…actually, I can’t describe what my mind is right now.
It’s like some sort of, I don’t know, squishy feeling accompanied by rainbows?
I have no idea.

Oct 08, 2012 at 06:52PM EDT
Quote

@Gearbox being infested with bronies

My brother doesn’t like MLP. He is also a Borderlands fan.

I’m not telling him about the references.

EDIT: Just called him to check the mecromancer’s skill tree. Told him there was an Adventure Time reference. Forgot about to mention the poni.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 08:01PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 07:44PM EDT
Quote

The quest for WORLD DOMINATION is making great progress I see. First we get our own Youtube section and now we have successfully conquered Gearbox software.

Soon we will RULE THE WORLD!

Gearbox confirmed for having shit taste in ponies.

…Except you. Because you hurt Fluttershy’s feelings. YOU’RE FIRED!

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 09:18PM EDT
Quote

I wish I wasn’t poor and could afford to get Borderlands 2 on Steam, along with the DLC

Cause I would be picking it up and making a brony Mechromancer. Like srsly. I want to badly now, and find that Pinkie gun I saw somewhere online.

Dammit, why are so many good games coming out? I need to spend very little so I can get my AC3 preorder, and a TV and maybe an Xbox to go with it if I don’t borrow someone on my floor’s/repair my own. Then I need to choose between Borderlands and Dishonored…

Oh, right, ponies!

Have another of those pony cartoons from earlier. They’re all based on different episodes, apparently.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 09:22PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 09:21PM EDT
Quote

@The pony political cartoon
“We all know that cutie mark education leads to more unplanned cutie marks”

O RLY

“We all know” is code for “we didn’t do the research so we’re gonna call it common knowledge”

Also a pony to keep things relevent:

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 09:29PM EDT
Quote

@Springer Bronies
Hmmm…
Honestly, I think I’d have preferred that they were paid actors.
If paid actors had gone the extra mile to portray our community fairly, they would gain some respect and small mistakes could be overlooked without much issue.
These guys, though…
If I may summarize their plan: They pretended to belong to a fandom that they have no relation with and wear blatantly inaccurate costumes for the sole purpose of ‘sneaking’ their little organization’s button onto TV?
I mean, I’m glad they seemed to get the correct message across, but the self-serving motive is kind of annoying, especially considering how poorly thought-out it was.
How could they not realize that nobody would be able to read that tiny-ass button on TV or in the audience?
Just stupid.

On the plus side, the info and treatment was good, no matter the motive, so it was a positive thing overall.
I just dislike these people’s attitudes.

@Borderlands
Now that is hilarious!
You missed that two of the skill trees’ overarching names are also pony-ish with “Best Friends Forever” and “Ordered Chaos.”

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:33PM EDT
Quote

@ Windigo: Well he tries to make them as incredibly right-wing as possible, so the argument there is a pretty stereotypically right-wing one. Here’s one based on Sweet and Elite, specifically the porter with Rarity’s bags:

Don’t tell me that’s not ridiculously right-wing biased.

@Ninja Deadparrot: I’ve gotta agree. I would rather have had paid actors who portrayed us fairly, but just didn’t know enough to actually make an accurate costume (although that was still a ridiculously blatant mistake, anyone with half a brain could see it if they knew a tiny bit about the show). People who take advantage of us to subtly promote something else… That’s just sick.

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 09:39PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 09:35PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

The quest for WORLD DOMINATION is making great progress I see. First we get our own Youtube section and now we have successfully conquered Gearbox software.

Soon we will RULE THE WORLD!

Gearbox confirmed for having shit taste in ponies.

…Except you. Because you hurt Fluttershy’s feelings. YOU’RE FIRED!

>speak the truth about the general awfulness of YellowQuiet.
>gets fired fired from the Global Domination Squad by the rabid LemonMellow fans for insulting their bland moe-crap waifu
All the more reasons for me to hate BananaHush, She Turk mah Jerb!

YES YOU!

I’m on to you, Potassium Pone >:-[


That up there was just to fill up a post, I don’t really hate the yellow one.
>implying anyone can hate this
I just wanted to ask about this YouTube section thing, what do you mean by that BSoD?

Last edited Oct 08, 2012 at 09:46PM EDT
Oct 08, 2012 at 09:43PM EDT
Quote

Wait a second…

>Political cartoons
>Newspaper

HOW THE HELL DO THEY HOLD NEWSPAPERS.

I MEAN LOOK AT IT. WHAT THE HELL.

Why the hell would Lyra want hands when they obviously have hooves with invisible opposable thumbs?

Seriously, dafuq is this

/rant

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:51PM EDT
Quote

X wrote:

>speak the truth about the general awfulness of YellowQuiet.
>gets fired fired from the Global Domination Squad by the rabid LemonMellow fans for insulting their bland moe-crap waifu
All the more reasons for me to hate BananaHush, She Turk mah Jerb!

YES YOU!

I’m on to you, Potassium Pone >:-[


That up there was just to fill up a post, I don’t really hate the yellow one.
>implying anyone can hate this
I just wanted to ask about this YouTube section thing, what do you mean by that BSoD?

“>implying anyone can hate this”

Also, I just successfully trolled my brother. Screamed “I LIED!” into the phone and played “I’m so Fresh.”

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:53PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Wait a second…

>Political cartoons
>Newspaper

HOW THE HELL DO THEY HOLD NEWSPAPERS.

I MEAN LOOK AT IT. WHAT THE HELL.

Why the hell would Lyra want hands when they obviously have hooves with invisible opposable thumbs?

Seriously, dafuq is this

/rant

How the hell did they even invent paper in the first place?
No wait, that’s why there is magic.

When WAS their paper invented?
And HOW DID Celestia and Luna become head of Equestria?

These questions will never be answered.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:17PM EDT
Quote

@TwilitLord
Asking about holding newspapers?

Rarity is disappoint.

@Someone hating on Fluttershy
Vengeance will be swift…
SOON

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:54PM EDT
Quote

@Ponies holding things

I thought we covered that? It should be pretty well acknowledged by now that Ponies have glands lining the base of the hoof which secrete an adhesive substance, thus allowing ponies to pick up objects by naturally glueing them to their hooves.


@X

I just wanted to ask about this YouTube section thing, what do you mean by that BSoD?

I was referring to this

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:19AM EDT
Quote

@BSOD

THAT ISN’T SATISFACTORY THERE’S SO MANY REASONS I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT

Seriously, I’m okay with the questionable anatomy. But why would the things they touch not stay sticky? Why is there nothing visible on the pages? Why can they adequately pick up both porous and nonporous items? TBH, this is more satisfactory than any other answer I can come up with. But it still isn’t good enough…

I WON’T BE ABLE TO SLEEP TONIGHT BECAUSE I’LL BE WRESTLING WITH THIS IDEA ALL NIGHT. THANKS GUYS.

PS I probably showed up after this headcanon was created, so I don’t remember it.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 12:42AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 12:30AM EDT
Quote

But why would the things they touch not stay sticky?

The adhesive binds better to the hoof than anything else and also evaporates easily after a short time period making it easy to clean off?

Why is there nothing visible on the pages?

Too thick for paper to adsorb?

Why can they adequately pick up porous and nonporous items?

Because it can? SHIT SON! USE YOUR GODDAM IMAGINATION!

Look, you either have that or this whole list of crazy idea’s:

  • Little finger-like tentacles that protrude from under the hoof, usually concealed
  • Magnetism
  • Microscopic fillia lining the hoof that generate an electrical field around the hoof which creates an attraction to any positively charged substance similar to how Gecko’s attach to walls
  • A small fleshy nub behind the hoof that can act as a thumb. Can actually be seen in the cider episode which makes this one more canon than the others
  • MAGIC, HOW DOES IT WORK!?

Take your pick

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:43AM EDT
Quote

Like I said, it’s more adequate than anything else I’ve come up with. I just have problems with the physics of it – every adhesive needs to bind somewhat to actually stick, and even the little adhesive of sticky notes, that is well bound to the note itself, mind you, leaves some residue. But honestly, I can’t come up with anything that I’m satisfied enough with – although static electrical fields generated by the fur make my science side warm and fuzzy.

Besides, everypony knows that unicorns prefer magic over impossi-hooves:



Also, sorry, but *ideas.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 01:13AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 01:02AM EDT
Quote


Holy shitstorms Batman, someone is questioning cartoon logic.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 02:27AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 02:26AM EDT
Quote

@Daniel

Please Daniel, Cartoon logic is an extremely SRS circumstance that requires the upmost SRS discussion. Please don’t undermine my SRS attempts at SRSLY reaching a SRS solution

Now where was I? Oh yes.


@Twilit

I just have problems with the physics of it

And the physics I assure you are perfectly sound and logical. Also don’t try and dodge the subject with levitation. Yes it’s true that unicorns use levitation but that distracts from the point of the discussion without answering it. Considering how not all ponies can use levitation and that it isn’t an infinite resource that even unicorns can draw from

Now let me start off by explaining how physics applies to ponies…

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:51AM EDT
Quote

GUYS! WE WERE OVER THIS "HOW DO PONIES GRAB THINGS DISCUSSION WAY BACK IN PONU GENERAL IV IIRC

And before you say Hooves are not soft….

In Marshmallow ponyland they are…

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:08AM EDT
Quote

@phoneix

Actually that bottom image is evidence for different reason why Ponies can hold things: You can clearly see they have opposable thumbs which appear to be in the process of evolution, but are already functional to a degree and can be used to grips various objects.

But I like the thought that they can harden and soften their hooves at will to create the gripping effect you demonstrated in that video. We never discussed that thought when we debated pony handling in the last thread. I’ll add that to the list of ridiculously over-analysed concepts

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:49AM EDT
Quote

@Flutterhate

Hahaha! That’s funny, you’re a funny guy X, and badsitrep too! Huh, what? You think I’m what…?

W̢̭͕H̵̵̬͉̺͚Ý̹ ̴̺̮̘̘̺͈͔͖͠W̳͝O̙̻̥U̟̻͉͘͢L҉͔̖̰̟̲D͏̙̖͕͎͍ ͎͕́͞I̶̤̪̬̖͇̳͝͞ ͙B̵̵̧̙̱͍̦͈͖̮̖̻E̱̹͚̥̞͘͡ͅ ̫̲̼̝͢ͅM̼̻̹̰̭͈͚̣A̖̙̬̥̤̘͎̤D̵̢͇͓̟̟̲̜͔,̨̠̯̰͎̝̘̭̯ ͓͓̠̀͜Y̛͖̩̭̪͝O̜̖͞Ṷ̦̠̹̼͜ ͏͉̹̼͙S̷͈̞I̷̡͇̖͘L̴̻͖̫̤̲͍̪̦͢L̴̨̧̯̭̖̹Y̴̯̗


@BSoD

I always thought that was just supposed to be a squished-leg-looking effect, not thumbs. Opposable thumbs sure would be helpful though.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 04:02AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 04:02AM EDT
Quote

Come on, guys.
This whole argument is just silly.
Especially since the solution is so simple!

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:16AM EDT
Quote

@Dan

Maybe it is, but A MAN CAN DREAM CAN’T HE!? CAN A MAN DREAM IN THIS WORLD!? CAN HE HAVE HOPES AND ASPIRATIONS!? CAN A MAN RISE ABOVE THE MEDIOCRE!? CAN HE STAND ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS AND SAYTHOSE PONIES ARE EVOLVING HANDS”!? CAN HE DAN!? CAN HE!?

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:38AM EDT
Quote

Whaddya think this is, the magic magic land of happiness, dreams, and friendship or something?

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:58AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@phoneix

Actually that bottom image is evidence for different reason why Ponies can hold things: You can clearly see they have opposable thumbs which appear to be in the process of evolution, but are already functional to a degree and can be used to grips various objects.

But I like the thought that they can harden and soften their hooves at will to create the gripping effect you demonstrated in that video. We never discussed that thought when we debated pony handling in the last thread. I’ll add that to the list of ridiculously over-analysed concepts

I’m 100% sure we discussed the gripper things before considering it was on the front page of Equestria Daily.

And I agree with Dan, it seems to be a “squished hoof” effect rather than a thumb.

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:28AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

But why would the things they touch not stay sticky?

The adhesive binds better to the hoof than anything else and also evaporates easily after a short time period making it easy to clean off?

Why is there nothing visible on the pages?

Too thick for paper to adsorb?

Why can they adequately pick up porous and nonporous items?

Because it can? SHIT SON! USE YOUR GODDAM IMAGINATION!

Look, you either have that or this whole list of crazy idea’s:

  • Little finger-like tentacles that protrude from under the hoof, usually concealed
  • Magnetism
  • Microscopic fillia lining the hoof that generate an electrical field around the hoof which creates an attraction to any positively charged substance similar to how Gecko’s attach to walls
  • A small fleshy nub behind the hoof that can act as a thumb. Can actually be seen in the cider episode which makes this one more canon than the others
  • MAGIC, HOW DOES IT WORK!?

Take your pick

MAGIC!

Specifically, the charged mana particles present in all ponies give all ponies a small degree of manipulative powers; however, only in unicorns is it amplified by the resonant powers of their sorceress bloodlines to work with any degree of potency, and only with their horn is it able to be focused well enough to be controlled as well as it can.

Theoretically, any keratin source should be able to work as a stable enough conductor of magical energy to perform fine manipulation of objects with direct contact with the appendage.

Future speculation:
-Could non-unicorn ponies be trained to use magic?
-Would such be limited to touch delivered spells as well?
-Would such an attempt lead to “Evolving” of a Earth Pony into a Unicorn or a Pegasus into an Alicorn?

Alternate Setting Speculation:
-If a Unicorn in a Pathfinder RPG inspired setting Became a “Empyreal Knight” Paladin, would she become an Alicorn when she gets the Final ability of the class that gives the Paladin Wings?
-Do Ponies that take the “Eldridge Heritage” feat from Pathfinder RPG become Unicorns? Or Alicorns if they were a Pegasus?
-Would an earth pony that did both become an Alicorn too?

Blarg, This is getting weird: here’s a teaser of my Comic Involving Rainbow Dash training to be a knight.

Tell me I did that Right.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 06:11AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 06:07AM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Wait a second…

>Political cartoons
>Newspaper

HOW THE HELL DO THEY HOLD NEWSPAPERS.

I MEAN LOOK AT IT. WHAT THE HELL.

Why the hell would Lyra want hands when they obviously have hooves with invisible opposable thumbs?

Seriously, dafuq is this

/rant

Don’t question cartoon logic

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 08:01AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 08:00AM EDT
Quote

What’s all this then? Someone is questioning cartoon logic? About ponies?

…That’s productive. It’s like Narnia, you just have to believe!

Seriously though, I think it’s already been established that they are made of some sort of marshmallow-like substance. It seems like they don’t even have skeletons at times.

Look at how the guards hold their spears. I dunno, it just doesn’t look physically possible to me. And yet, it happens.

How they hold on to newspapers is the least of their logical worries. :P

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:12AM EDT
Quote

Seems logical to me. They’re holding it by the crook of their…..errr…elbows?

What are those called in horse anatomy? Where’s Dac when you need him?

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:32AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!