Forums / Discussion / General

171,289 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

@ZeroBlue4

Anyways, This LPS seems to be “The Wild Thornberrys… Except not in the wild, the world is otherwise Normal Earth where Magic doesn’t seem to be a thing; And the Human character is a bit disturbed by All this, but will clearly adjust.”

So, basically this:

Which makes sense considering both shows were created by Timothy Cahill and Julie McNally-Cahill.

Oct 21, 2012 at 03:48PM EDT
Quote

@LPS

I’d have to say I’m not on board with this one guys. Didn’t like the song, the character designs, or the way EqD is promoting it for some reason. The whole thing, as I commented over there, feels really hammy and forced, and not really exceptional in any way. Personally, I think if it ends up good and people like it once they see it, great. But I’m honestly a little uncomfortable with too much undeserved hype surrounding a brand new show that hasn’t even aired yet, and I dislike the hazily implied assumption that if you’re a brony you’ll probably enjoy it. Just my two cents.

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 06:53PM EDT
Quote
Didn’t like the song, the character designs, or the way EqD is promoting it for some reason.

Well, EqD gets news directly from Hasbro fairly often, and Hasbro has told EqD specifically about things they wanted taken down (i.e., the leaked Hearts and Hooves Day episode.)

Considering how much time Seth and company puts into EqD, Hasbro may even pay EqD a bit in order to help keep them above water financially. Hasbro may even be structuring some posts or what can be posted.

With that in mind, I wouldn’t think it is so far-fetched for:

  1. Equestria Daily to support a show with a lot of the talent from FiM. For this situation, I don’t see it as being any different as promoting the opera that John de Lancie did the narrating for in Chicago or promoting Ashleigh Ball’s band fresh band, Hey Ocean!*
  2. Hasbro to tell EqD about the show and asking them to make a post about it. If the two parties are as close as I think they might be, then that might explain why EqD put it up.

But I’d figure it would be the former more than the latter.


Verbose did not receive any Applejack voice clips from Ashleigh Ball saying funny lines that he wrote for making this post. The post above is not endorsed by Ashleigh Ball, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, related parties, or parties by Pinkie Pie. Please support the official release.

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT

I think Verbose nailed it here. Hasbro probably asked them to promote it, so they did.

The only problem is, my reaction, and most bronies’ if I judge it from this thread, can be summed up by this gif:

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:20PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

I think Verbose nailed it here. Hasbro probably asked them to promote it, so they did.

The only problem is, my reaction, and most bronies’ if I judge it from this thread, can be summed up by this gif:

For me, its a bit more complicated than that… I spend a whole load of time wondering whether I give a shit… Only to come to the most standard conclusion possible…

And now, from all the energy I spent coming to that conclusion, I’ve given myself a headache, and my brain feels like its full of smoke… Thanks to a cold that my constant thinking aggrevated.

In other words: Yes, but it took me way too much time for me to realise that.

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 08:42PM EDT
Quote

@Twilit

Even though Verbose said “It was most likely the former, not the latter”

And that part I agree with. I think Hasbro is just doing their regular thing promoting another girls toy franchise with another girls cartoon and EqD is just pointing out that the crew involved has many familiar names. If that’s Hasbro/EqD’s plan then carry on… everything is normal here. But I probably won’t be interested in Littlest Petshop (One effeminate cartoon is enough for me)

But if Hasbro’s plan is to make another effeminate cartoon thats ironic enough for male teens to like in order to cash in in MLP’s success then they are being very naive. The internet knows no such master. You cannot pull the exact same stunt on it twice and Hasbro most likely knows that. So that’s an unlikely scenario


@Which brings me back to Littlelest Petshop

MLP is what it is for many reasons, many of which are to do with the people who created it, yes. But in my perspective; the biggest reason is this: MLP:FiM was touched by 4chans noodly appendage. One day anonymous got out of bed and decided to screw up everyones gender expectations and MLP was the chosen one. That’s a rare specialty that no other cartoon is going to inherit for a long time.

Other cartoons can have an equally as good art style or scripting, but without that exception from the internet then it’s just a cartoon. MLP’s internet fame creates a big difference between “Just another kids cartoon” and “pop culture sensation”.

Call me a cynic, but I can’t envision Littlest petshop garnering the attention of many Bronies without that same blessing from the gods of the internet (I myself became a Brony when MLP turned into a viral meme). I doubt Littlest Petshop will receive that same blessing since the internet doesn’t like repeating the exact same meme*

*Unless it’s an advice animal.

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 09:43PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 09:38PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Dayum….just think if Tara Strong chose to lead a life of being a missionary?

Then we wouldn’t have Lolipop Chainsaw Sparkle

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 09:38PM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Twilit

Even though Verbose said “It was most likely the former, not the latter”

And that part I agree with. I think Hasbro is just doing their regular thing promoting another girls toy franchise with another girls cartoon and EqD is just pointing out that the crew involved has many familiar names. If that’s Hasbro/EqD’s plan then carry on… everything is normal here. But I probably won’t be interested in Littlest Petshop (One effeminate cartoon is enough for me)

But if Hasbro’s plan is to make another effeminate cartoon thats ironic enough for male teens to like in order to cash in in MLP’s success then they are being very naive. The internet knows no such master. You cannot pull the exact same stunt on it twice and Hasbro most likely knows that. So that’s an unlikely scenario


@Which brings me back to Littlelest Petshop

MLP is what it is for many reasons, many of which are to do with the people who created it, yes. But in my perspective; the biggest reason is this: MLP:FiM was touched by 4chans noodly appendage. One day anonymous got out of bed and decided to screw up everyones gender expectations and MLP was the chosen one. That’s a rare specialty that no other cartoon is going to inherit for a long time.

Other cartoons can have an equally as good art style or scripting, but without that exception from the internet then it’s just a cartoon. MLP’s internet fame creates a big difference between “Just another kids cartoon” and “pop culture sensation”.

Call me a cynic, but I can’t envision Littlest petshop garnering the attention of many Bronies without that same blessing from the gods of the internet (I myself became a Brony when MLP turned into a viral meme). I doubt Littlest Petshop will receive that same blessing since the internet doesn’t like repeating the exact same meme*

*Unless it’s an advice animal.

Well, we are probably going to get one good meme out of all this:

…Twilight Barkle…

Not sure if it will catch on though.


Also, calling the Internet a god seems appropriate; and anonymous is its avatar.

Think about it, it’s mostly comprised of the vast, eternally shifting opinions of an entire planet. For all intents and purposes, it IS alive, and it IS vast enough to be called a deity. A true chaotic Neutral one, that cares only for maintaining a perpetual tide of changing opinion.

The Internet: Mechanical God of Chaos, Technology, and Society.

MLP:FIM is truly a blessing from this god, and proof that it is not (completely) evil.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:04PM EDT
Quote

So, I went to a panel on ponies at an anime convention today. The guy doing it knows all the voice actors and people making the show so he knows a little about the upcoming season. No specific plot lines or anything but he had some very interesting pieces of information.

There will be multiple two-parters, like in the middle of the season. There will be even more songs, especially duets. There will be fan service everywhere. And most importantly AJ GETS A SONG!!!
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:26PM EDT
Quote

@BSoD

MLP is what it is for many reasons, many of which are to do with the people who created it, yes. But in my perspective; the biggest reason is this: MLP:FiM was touched by 4chans noodly appendage. One day anonymous got out of bed and decided to screw up everyones gender expectations and MLP was the chosen one.

Other cartoons can have an equally as good art style or scripting, but without that exception from the internet then it’s just a cartoon.

Actually, I’d have to disagree with you there. FIM’s online presence is what got my attention enough to give it a try, but I stayed for the show itself.

The fandom has always been great fun, don’t get me wrong, but do you recall the stories? The folks who would watch an episode, then another, then before they know it they’ve watched the whole series in two sittings. There was something addictive about this peculiar little cartoon about ponies, not just the meme. What that did was enhance the rate of fan interest, but it didn’t create it.

Once I began to watch, I became completely addicted to the characters and their interactions, and the stories which seem simple at first but are conveyed with such depth at times. And I have a theory as to why that is; simply put, it was all thanks to Lauren Faust. I don’t want that to sound like a cop-out, so let me explain.

Faust had a unique vision for the show: the somewhat radical idea that a show aimed at younger girls could actually be quality enough to be enjoyed by the entire family. From what I understand, she completely invested herself in the project, from art design to writing. She took the MLP brand and started from the ground up, gathering from elements of the original show and vastly improving on them. She managed to craft character concepts that ended up being both overt in their uniqueness and subtle in their nuances, whose interactions are interesting enough that for many of us, the show just never gets old.

Now of course, it wasn’t only that. Somehow the stars aligned just right so that a near-perfect voicing cast was assembled, the extraordinary likes of Ingram, Andrews, and Anderson were tasked with the music, and brilliant writers like Amy Keating Rogers and Meghan McCarthy were brought in for the scripts. The animators also took the time to use Flash better in FIM than in any cartoon before it, and naturally, one can’t forget the talent of Jayson Thiessen as well.

But at the end of the day, the vision was Faust’s. Thiessen himself has also said as much.

I’ve been thinking about this lately, because it bothered me that I don’t think season 2 is as good in the character interactions department as season 1 was. Season 2… and I know this has been said before, but I’m repeating it because I believe it’s true… S2 lacked the subtlety of S1. The characters behaved with far less maturity overall. Although many fans found S2’s over-the-top moments entertaining, I believe it was the fact that season one subverted that aspect of a children’s cartoon that made the very first bronies like it. I know for a fact that’s what attracted me. In the first season, the characters never had moments like Twilight’s complete nervous breakdowns (twice in S2!), Fluttershy’s bizarrely rabid OOC behavior, Pinkie’s insensitivity, the list goes on and on. They had plenty of cool, exciting moments like the showdown with NMM, the hydra, the buffalo, etc., but the characters for the most part remained themselves throughout all of that. We learned a little bit more about all of them with each episode without taking too many steps back. It was just a well thought out progression overall. In season two, although still good, had far too many moments when the characters started to nearly become dreaded caricatures. I don’t mean to exaggerate the point here, because S2 was still really good, just not as charming as the first one.

And I think the specific reason S1 is superior to S2 is because of Faust. What else could it have been? The crew remained largely the same, except for her. She may have stayed on as creative consultant, but that’s not the same as directly influencing the show as she had done before.

Let me share a quote from her initial announcement that she’d be leaving the show:

Various circumstances with the production made it increasingly impossible for me to keep up the level of personal creative involvement and control that I had at the start of the series.

Not only was the quality of the show thanks to her, but it was the fact that she was less and less able to have that influence that led to her quitting.

THAT is what a kid’s show like LPS lacks. They may have Ingram and they may have Tabitha, but at the end of the day, they don’t have Faust. And that, if I’m right, is what will make all the difference.

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 11:04PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:38PM EDT
Quote

Erin wrote:

So, I went to a panel on ponies at an anime convention today. The guy doing it knows all the voice actors and people making the show so he knows a little about the upcoming season. No specific plot lines or anything but he had some very interesting pieces of information.

There will be multiple two-parters, like in the middle of the season. There will be even more songs, especially duets. There will be fan service everywhere. And most importantly AJ GETS A SONG!!!

Okay, so, now our convos are gonna be all spoiler tagged now:

So multi two part episodes? Like, the quest two parts in the three times it has happened so far? Awesome! I’ve always seen MLP as a lighter hearted version of a DnD esque fantasy story mixed with Slice of life… In a sense… And now it looks to be setting up for a more balanced mix of the two! This will be awesome!

Also, I don’t think just saying “fan-service” needs to be put in spoiler tags unless it’s a specific instance. Because that’s kind of expected.

What would be worthy of spoilers would be saying-

That it being set up to have extreme levels of brony centric fan service, ande it may indeed turn out to be a season made mostly for the bronies.

-but then again, that’s a double case of personal opinion.

Last edited Oct 21, 2012 at 11:08PM EDT
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:56PM EDT
Quote

So I’m gonna watch all these episodes again to get ready for S3. Just to see how far the show has grown.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:32PM EDT
Quote

Millenial Dan wrote:

And I think the specific reason S1 is superior to S2 is because of Faust. What else could it have been? The crew remained largely the same, except for her. She may have stayed on as creative consultant, but that’s not the same as directly influencing the show as she had done before.

Too bad that the episodes she directly wrote, the season openers, are generally considered the weakest of that particular season. How many times have we heard “Don’t use the season openers to introduce someone to pony!”? Way too often for what should be the most important episode in attracting viewers.

I mean you say that Fluttershy has bizarre OOC moments in Season 2 when this was established way early in Season 1 (Dragonshy and Stare Master).

And I’ve never heard anyone mention Pinkie’s insensitivity…whatever that’s supposed to mean…

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT
Quote

@Dan

You raise some good points. Perhaps I speak for myself: as it has always been the fandom and memedom that drew me to MLP, rarely so much the show itself and that’s how that perspective formed.

But I certainly don’t speak on behalf of those who were truly captivated by the virtues of the show itself.

It sounds like you were. So would you find yourself watching Littlest petshop episodes and making fanart for it? Based on that casting, I’d say Littlest Petshop S1 has as much potential for that quality that appeals to you as MLP:FiM S3…or even Gravity Falls.

Not trying to be personal here, just asking an honest curiosity

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:19AM EDT
Quote

@Phoenix: First “Insensitive Pinkie” episode that comes to mind for me is A Friend in Deed. She was pretty clueless there.

Off-topic, I agree with Derp. We should have another stream party, the last one was fun.

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:20AM EDT
Quote

@Burning

Actually, if we were going to pick on the episodes that Lauren wrote, we’d really have to ask ourselves what was wrong with them. The more I’ve reflected on it, the more I’ve realized that there’s not a whole lot I would change about the premier episodes. The narration at the beginning sounds a little cheesy, but other than that they’re pretty dang solid. The first episode introduces us to each of the main characters very smoothly, giving them all individually enough screen time and carefully-written interactions to establish what they’re like. The second episodes takes those personalities that we’ve now become at least somewhat familiar with and does something with them, namely showing off their strengths in a tight little adventure story. And just how many PMVs, fanfiction, and fanart based on those episodes have we seen? Quite a bit, including the (in)famous Past Sins. There’s plenty of love for those eps to be found among fans. And to be honest, I think the entire show wouldn’t be quite the same if it wasn’t for the way those first two were written. They set the pace for everything that came after.

I believe a large part of why people say to give the show a chance beyond the pilot is because it takes time to become used to the show, and the fact that you’re watching a “little girls’ cartoon”. And, just like with real people, it takes time to truly get to know these characters. Not only that, but it’s also not unusual for introductions to be slightly less interesting than more in-depth character studies, like the much loved Party of One. That doesn’t make the introductions less important though, which is why I always try to take new fans throught the series chronologically. It’s worked pretty well so far.

As for your request for clarification on my token examples of Pinkie and Fluttershy for the way the series changed, I’ll go into that in more depth later if you like. I will say about Fluttershy in Dragonshy and Stare Master, since you mention those eps, that it’s worth noting that she was assertive in those episodes, but still nice, even to the dragon.

@BSoD

Wel, the point I was trying to make earlier is that from what I’ve seen so far, LPS won’t appeal to me nearly as much as ponies because it doesn’t have a visionary like Faust spearheading it. They seem to be trying to capture the spirit of FIM in some ways, but what I’ve seen so far hasn’t been convincing me that they succeeded.

And even if it does turn out to be good, it wouldn’t generate the same kind of fan content because of its many limitations. It’s been mentioned that the pony universe is a unique template that is unusual in it’s open-endedness, which allows for a nearly unlimited number of possibilies. Few other shows have that, but a some notable examples of stories possessing a similar quality are Star Trek, The Last Airbender, and Star Wars.

@Twilitlord

Another good example that comes to mind is Luna Eclipsed on that point.

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 03:45AM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 03:29AM EDT
Quote

@Littlest Pet Shop malarchy

Rule number 1 about trying to make a show that appeals to bronies: Don’t try to make a show that appeals to bronies. Try to make a quality show without thinking about us the same way you did mlp, and if it has that rare spark, we will come. Chances are we won’t, but it is certain that we won’t if you actively try to appeal to us, and chances are we will hate you for your pretentiousness. To quote Bukowski:

when it is truly time,
and if you have been chosen,
it will do it by
itself and it will keep on doing it
until you die or it dies in you.

there is no other way.

and there never was.

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:51AM EDT
Quote

@LPS
I watched the eqd promo clip, but it just doesn’t really appeal to me. Especially on the design level, the head to body ratio just looks wrong. When i see such huge, massive heads with tiny extremity, i have to think of “Mr Potato Heads” and for RandomMan: Koppoter.
The design of the ponies is a different story, they just look good. They just look “right”. There is a reason why there are so many pony reaction faces and image macros. Oh i got an idea right now: I am about 100% sure that the body to head ratio of a ponu is the well known golden ratio. Welp, I have to check this at once….

Here take a look at this, quick and dirty with Verbose’s vektor:

The golden ratio is: 1:1,618…

400pixels / 248pixels = 1,6129.

This means the head to body ratio is about the same as the golden ratio. I guess that, this wasn’t made intentionally. It happend, because this ratio is pleasuring to the eye. It just shows that our ponies are very carefully designed.

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 10:19AM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:04AM EDT
Quote

@Still going with this LPS stuff, are we?
So, couple points here:
I think Dan has it most correct when he says that Faust really was the catalyst for MLP’s success.
Though perhaps her direct writing wasn’t to everyone’s tastes (though I personally loved the pilots), she was the one who injected the series with some actual personality and soul.
Her whole philosophy of wanting to create a ‘girl show’ that didn’t suck, combined with a healthy dose of internet luck, is what led to all of this.
The fact that she was already known in the animation community for PPG and Foster’s has also contributed heavily to attracting people.
(How many times have you seen the argument: “Hey, you liked PPG, right? She worked on those! Try out this new show she made!”)
So, no, without Faust at the helm, I don’t see LPS really taking off.

Now, at the same time, I feel like I have to question some of the other posters here.
Perhaps I missed it, but when exactly did Hasbro or The Hub say that they were trying to make LPS appeal to bronies?
Yes, EQD posted about it… once, which I would hardly consider worthy of some conspiracy theory about secret backroom deals
That one post was simply because people noticed that this new show contained a lot of the same voice, music, and writing talent as MLP.
Fans often like to track the careers and future projects of the staff.
Nothing new there.

Now you might say that packing a new show with MLP crew is an attempt to appeal to us, but remember that we like these people on MLP because they are very good at what they do.
Of course they are going to get more work, especially in a company that they are already under contract with.
Hasbro would be stupid to not reuse them.

So, no, LPS is very unlikely to become the next MLP, but I don’t really think anyone is expecting it to be.
Hasbro is just making another kids’ show using the resources at their disposal.

@Whitish
Oh, you want Golden Ratios?!

Just another aspect of Faust’s awesome eye for character design!

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:05PM EDT
Quote

A “healthy dose of internet luck” is an understatement… Really, the stars must have been perfectly aligned or something when this show was released! It has been said many times before that no one could have foreseen the impact it would have… it’s pretty unlikely that this series of events could ever be reproduced for another show!

But really, the fandom is a huge part of it as well, and another thing that doesn’t carry over to other shows (like LPS):

This image says it all I think. It’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy: The more fans the show gets, the better the fandom becomes, which in turn causes other people to check out the show and become fans. Exponential growth… nothing can stop it!!!

That’s my take on it anyway. Honestly, I try to just enjoy the show for what it is: a good show.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:49PM EDT
Quote

@LPS:

Yeah, I agree that Faust was a big deciding factor. And, if you want to mention the pilots, I’ll mention that they were probably shooting themselves in the foot with those so that the rest of the show would be as amazing as it is. They were entirely a means of introducing the world and major characters, so they wouldn’t have to use those as filler later on, if you understand what I’m saying.

And, personally, I think Faust let the characters stay true to themselves more often, judging by season 2. I’d cite Fluttershy, as all of her assertiveness in season 1 was very well-done. When he friends are in danger, she moves up to carry the slack. I, personally, didn’t really like Putting Your Hoof Down as much as Dragonshy or Stare Master because her assertiveness seemed a bit far-fetched.

Don’t get me wrong, MLP still has Lauren’s spark in it, so I think it’ll be going strong and true for a while, but LPS never had it. LPS also doesn’t have an interesting setting that allows for good world-building, creative plots, etc.

And, also, regarding the point you guys are making regarding Hasbro trying to get the bronies into another show, I’m starting to wonder if that’s what they’re doing with MLP. It certainly sounds like there’s gonna be a lot of fan-service for bronies in season 3, and I personally don’t want that. I think if they keep it up, the show will eventually be nothing but an inside joke, when I came to love it because it’s a genuinely good show. I don’t need the fact that Scootaloo is a chicken or Fluttershy can be a bitch crammed down my throat to enjoy it. And, chances are, they’ll cram stuff I don’t like from our fandom down my throat, and that’ll put me off.

Personally, I think any catering Hasbro does to older audiences should be kept to a minimum. Especially with new shows. LPS might turn out to be pretty good, but it won’t be because they tried to force it onto bronies.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:54PM EDT
Quote

@Commodore: Sounds FiM is approaching a cultural singularity!

@Solaire: I agree with ya, buddy. Season 1 was significantly less exaggerated than season 2, which I admired. I love season 2, and you’re right, it’s still Faustian, but Season 1 was just more mature.

I have to disagree with you a bit, though. I would like a bit of fanservice in the new season. Not too much, not too blatant – Fluttershy disguising herself as a tree was genius, for example – but enough that we can see a slight in-joke every couple of episodes. I’d be ok with that.

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:19PM EDT
Quote

Solaire wrote:

It certainly sounds like there’s gonna be a lot of fan-service for bronies in season 3, and I personally don’t want that. I think if they keep it up, the show will eventually be nothing but an inside joke, when I came to love it because it’s a genuinely good show. I don’t need the fact that Scootaloo is a chicken or Fluttershy can be a bitch crammed down my throat to enjoy it. And, chances are, they’ll cram stuff I don’t like from our fandom down my throat, and that’ll put me off.

I doubt it would be anything more than what we already have: Derpy being in the background, Lyra getting a voice…etc.

They’ll never do something like the whole Derpy thing in the beginning of Last Roundup……never again.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:12PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Solaire wrote:

It certainly sounds like there’s gonna be a lot of fan-service for bronies in season 3, and I personally don’t want that. I think if they keep it up, the show will eventually be nothing but an inside joke, when I came to love it because it’s a genuinely good show. I don’t need the fact that Scootaloo is a chicken or Fluttershy can be a bitch crammed down my throat to enjoy it. And, chances are, they’ll cram stuff I don’t like from our fandom down my throat, and that’ll put me off.

I doubt it would be anything more than what we already have: Derpy being in the background, Lyra getting a voice…etc.

They’ll never do something like the whole Derpy thing in the beginning of Last Roundup……never again.

Yeah, cause Hasbro would bend to the will of either the trolls or soccer moms.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:18PM EDT
Quote

They should do something with Derpy especially for the hardcore fans. Seriously, we should threaten Hasbro or something.

Oct 22, 2012 at 03:32PM EDT
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

They should do something with Derpy especially for the hardcore fans. Seriously, we should threaten Hasbro or something.

@Derpy vasquez:

Hey! Wasn’t Street Fighter 2nd place over on rule 34?

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:01PM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

@Derpy vasquez:

Hey! Wasn’t Street Fighter 2nd place over on rule 34?

Yes Pinkie, I’m thinking on what you’re thinking. May I borrow your chainsaws for a minute?

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT
Quote

Oh look, an All Right Gentlemen about Celestia’s title on My Little Brony.

After our discussion of pony government, I feel so prepared for this one. I already corrected one person who thought it was because you couldn’t have two queens (obviously unfamiliar with the diarchic concept). So I brought up titles and diarchy and the such. I avoided Faust’s explaination since EVERYONE ELSE who knew what they were talking about was using that exact same quote.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:08PM EDT
Quote

You’ve kicked up a discussion on LPS so I suppose I’ll break my rules again and submit ANOTHER lengthy forum post on what I think.

I’ve seen the clip. I’m not impressed.

I’ve said this before on a certain image posted in the gallery and I’ll say it again, but I hope that LPS doesn’t catch on and follow the road that FiM has taken. Heck, I’ll even quote myself: “I can’t fathom the fanfics, I’m already cringing at the possible fan conventions, and I’ll be damned if I see Tumblr posts of sexualized anthro animals littering a KYM gallery with its own entry.”

The long corrupted reach of the Internet does not need to taint another girl-oriented show, especially if it doesn’t display as much of an inital impact, story or character-wise. Perhaps I am just being pessimistic for the first time, but Hasbro Studios has my go-ahead to pump out another television show to market the kid toys to, but I will probably not participate. I’ve been wrong before, however.

The biggest problem I’ve come across is how limited the plot must be confined to. To make it more clearer, the most substantial obstacle that Hasbro has presented themselves with is adding a human character into the mix. Everything has to be semi-realistic and not conjured up by the glow of a unicorn horn. By placing such a show into a more earthly setting, this could possibly dumb down the humor, the character identity, and the conflicts altogether.

You can’t fit a Queen Chrysalis into a store full of animals and their human counterparts. You can attempt a Flim and Flam mockery, a Trixie, or a Photo Finish, however it’s something we’ve all seen before.

In order to even catch the interest of anyone on the Internet to stick around, they need to do something different and do it flawlessly, without recycling everything already introduced, or yet to be seen in FiM. The chance may still be there with the minds behind Equestria pulling the strings, but I do not wish to contort the definition of a grade-school-level show any further than we already have. Some things just need to be left alone to only do its purpose; in this case, sell more toys.

I will make a promise to you all that I’ll check out the first episode and probably eat my own words, but for now, there is no need to force any appreciation for it.

I wish the talent behind FiM a ‘good luck’, since I’m happy to see them move on to more ambitious projects and making a name for themselves. I’ll just be sitting here on an island waiting patiently for the release of more Rarity-focused episodes.

EDIT: grammatical fixes

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 04:35PM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 04:10PM EDT
Quote

@LPS:

Insousiant Insect wrote:

the most substantial obstacle that Hasbro has presented themselves with is adding a human character…

Wait, didn’t we just talk about this?

Whitishcollar wrote:

Humans in equestria would abstract from the pony characters. It has been recently mentioned in this thread, but adding humans could break the immersion. When humans are around, you would start to see the world from a different perspective, because you would relate to the humans and start alienating the ponys.

(11 days ago)

And I think the same would apply to LPS. Putting humans into any show with intelligent, speaking animals takes that sense of immersion away. Yet another reason I don’t have high hopes for this show.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:25PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

@LPS:

Insousiant Insect wrote:

the most substantial obstacle that Hasbro has presented themselves with is adding a human character…

Wait, didn’t we just talk about this?

Whitishcollar wrote:

Humans in equestria would abstract from the pony characters. It has been recently mentioned in this thread, but adding humans could break the immersion. When humans are around, you would start to see the world from a different perspective, because you would relate to the humans and start alienating the ponys.

(11 days ago)

And I think the same would apply to LPS. Putting humans into any show with intelligent, speaking animals takes that sense of immersion away. Yet another reason I don’t have high hopes for this show.

I don’t follow these forums as avidly as I probably should. If I’m posing that big of an issue by reinforcing an opinion that someone else has, then I’ll just edit that part out.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:31PM EDT
Quote

Nah, man, it’s fine. It’s not even what you were saying, exactly, I’m extrapolating new ideas from your statement.

Oct 22, 2012 at 04:33PM EDT
Quote

@DeadParrot
Damn you! I really thaught i’ve found something special and was about looking for more golden ratios, but no there is always someone who has done it before and man you really had to rub it in my face, didn’t you. Argh you and your fitting images;)

@Show declining (not fandom)
What would you do, if season 3 or the next seasons loose the magic. It seems that a lot of people here don’t like season 2 as much as the first one. Well the first FiM episode i watched was Ponyville Confidential and i never watched the episodes in order (shame on me, but i am starting right now for season 3 preparations), so i didn’t really see such a big difference between episodes from season 1 and 2. Perhaps you are right and the Faustian touch is missing a bit, but the show is still great. Coming back to the point: What if the show slowly starts to decline? What would you do, if the show becomes boring, cringeworthy and bland?

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:00PM EDT
Quote

Whitishcollar wrote:

@DeadParrot
Damn you! I really thaught i’ve found something special and was about looking for more golden ratios, but no there is always someone who has done it before and man you really had to rub it in my face, didn’t you. Argh you and your fitting images;)

@Show declining (not fandom)
What would you do, if season 3 or the next seasons loose the magic. It seems that a lot of people here don’t like season 2 as much as the first one. Well the first FiM episode i watched was Ponyville Confidential and i never watched the episodes in order (shame on me, but i am starting right now for season 3 preparations), so i didn’t really see such a big difference between episodes from season 1 and 2. Perhaps you are right and the Faustian touch is missing a bit, but the show is still great. Coming back to the point: What if the show slowly starts to decline? What would you do, if the show becomes boring, cringeworthy and bland?

Well… On a matter of personal preference, I actually think the show is not exactly charting normal methods of rating quality.

Season 1 Was full of heartwarming Episodes, but they’re a bit hard to remember immediately for me over season 2 Episode. Season 1 Episodes have Great Intricacy as well.

Season 2 Was full of Fun Episodes; The intricacy was there, but toned down a bit. Season two is what I think of 90% of the time when I think Pony (The other 10% being Spnic Rainboom, The Gala, And the First Two Episodes)

It’s Like Lauren Said: It’s still great, and entertaining, It’s just doing so in a different way.

And don’t forget, they still consult with Lauren, and have for all of Season 2. So It’s not going to fall appart “Without her Influence” because her influence is still there. It’s just that the rest of the creative team seems to be showing their own influence over the show as well now.

…which seems to be the influence of being a young at heart fan of its own show. Just saying.

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:07PM EDT
Quote

@Deadparrot

Now, at the same time, I feel like I have to question some of the other posters here.
Perhaps I missed it, but when exactly did Hasbro or The Hub say that they were trying to make LPS appeal to bronies?

Absolutely nowhere.

The concept of LPS being raised as an MLP spinoff was entirely constructed here in this thread. And I suppose that is my fault because I saw how people were comparing MLP to LPS and people had a certain tone about them that they expected it to be another MLP for ambiguous reasons.

So I went ahead and described two scenarios: 1. LPS is another Hasbro merchandise seller. 2. LPS is a subtle Brony hook. I explicitly pointed out that option 1 is 99% more likely but it seems people saw my option 2 and ran with it.

I don’t have a problem with that of course because it generated healthy discussion. All according to keikaku.

Now carry on as you were.


@chowz


They should do something with Derpy especially for the hardcore fans. Seriously, we should threaten Hasbro or something.


@Vazquez

Wow, so if that true then were only a matter of time away before we out-porn the very first comic fandom in existence!

Holy crap, we’re kicking ass!

Also LOL Digimon, nobody cares enough about it to apply R34 to it. (Sad, I kinda liked that show, or at least the first season)

Oct 22, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT
Quote

And now… If none here mind… I’m going to make a wild theory on one of the characters… Actually, several theories.

1. Pinkie Pie’s loopy-ness may be just a show she puts on for her friends.

I just went and watched Party of one… Anyone notice that once she collapses from exhaustion back at her place, she sounds ridiculously… Normal? Not “Pinkie Pie Normal”, but “Normal, Normal”.

And once the “Pinkamena” phase sets in, the phrases that are definately her speaking for herself (and not some object) she still sounds remarkably normal. (The crazy talking to herself aside, since that’s a completely different issue. Which I may address later.)

Now… Keeping in mind that since she has lost all hope, she’s essentially in her darkest moment. And that’s when the real her shines through. She was putting on an act this whole time.

… Which brings me to-

2. Pinkie Pie’s Fear… Sadness.

We all heard of Pinkie’s story of the rock farm. Questions of Accuracy aside, It shows us something.

She lived a life of sadness. Cold, no smiling. And so on. And then she discovered happiness.

She went And threw herself into the endevour of making those around her happy. From herself, to everyone around her. And this may have ended up tieing itself up with an avoidance of the sadness she abandoned.

We see her trying hard to cheer up Cranky, and try to keep the Baby Cakes from Crying. And in the later case, her failure makes herself cry.

Its deeper than just an altruistic point, its compulsive. She is afraid of others or herself being sad. Its a deep scare on her heart. And that is why she puts on the act of loopy-ness. That fear makes her desperate.

(Of course, it would probably be healthier for her to Learn that the sad moments make the happy ones brighter; and that for a full experience, one needs the full spectrum.)

And now we must ask the question… Why is Pinkie so afraid?

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 10:28PM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:25PM EDT
Quote

BSoD wrote:

Absolutely nowhere.

The concept of LPS being raised as an MLP spinoff was entirely constructed here in this thread. And I suppose that is my fault because I saw how people were comparing MLP to LPS and people had a certain tone about them that they expected it to be another MLP for ambiguous reasons.

So I went ahead and described two scenarios: 1. LPS is another Hasbro merchandise seller. 2. LPS is a subtle Brony hook. I explicitly pointed out that option 1 is 99% more likely but it seems people saw my option 2 and ran with it.

Yeah, that’s true that we came up with it, but every idea has to come from somewhere, right?

I, at least, feel like they’re trying to attract the bronies. While I misspoke up above and said that Hasbro asked for the attention (I meant to agree with Verbose’s first possibility, but I was tired and couldn’t write straight), I still think that Hasbro is trying to pull us in, even if they’re not actually directly advertising it to us.

After all, they’ve pulled in a lot of talent from FiM – Asheigh Ball, Tabitha, Nicole Oliver, Peter New, and Kathleen Barr are all doing voices, Daniel Ingram and Steffan Andrews are doing music, and M.A. Larson is writing. (DHX is doing the animation for it, so that could show a larger amount of crossover work. However, I just watched the title sequence, and the animation is a lot shittier than FiM’s in my opinion.) Don’t forget that it’s scheduled to premiere right after Season 3, too; it’s like they want us to watch it.

Also: TWILIGHT FUCKING BARKLE.


@Chowzburgerz: Gimme a plan. I’ll go anywhere and do anything for more Derpy.

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:03PM EDT
Quote

@BSoD

The perception that Hasbro and the Hub are trying to appeal to MLP fans also came about because EqD in particular posted about LPS twice. And even though Verbose is right to compare that to other times EqD has spotlighted extra-MLP activities by people who work on the show, it was still a bit agitating. Probably one of the most vexing things about that show is the similarities to FIM we’ve noticed it having; e.g., the dog that has Twilight’s color scheme, and the monkey that acts like Pinkie and has her colors as well. What’s up with all that?

Edit: Semi-ninja’d by Twilitlord

@ZeroBlue

Those are some interesting observations. I’ve always thought that Pinkie must have a deeper story in her past than she lets on. Of course, fanmade comics like this probably have something to do with me feeling like that.

Last edited Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07PM EDT
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:06PM EDT
Quote

and the monkey that acts like Pinkie and has her colors as well. What’s up with all that?

WRITERS: “Hey guys, turns out that people really like pink zany party-loving characters! Lets re-use that concept, the kids might love it”


@Chowz

Hasbro still needs to keep Derpy on the down-low. There’s a reason why the latest Derpy toy does not mention her name

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:05AM EDT
Quote

@LPS
Dude that video..
That doesn’t make any sense but… WHY.CAN’T.I.STOP.WATCHING?
Oh well maybe another fandom is on the way? Maybe?

@Character pairing
Nope. Monkey should be Rarity. Because they both artist.
Skunk should be Pinkie.
Lizard is Derpy.
Mongoose is Fluttershy.

These are my opinion. Not offensive.

@Pedo Derp
This isn’t a surprise. If there is a lot of doijin, fanfiction, erotic images, exc of a fandom, that means the fandom is huge. It’s not about r34.

Oct 23, 2012 at 05:36AM EDT
Quote

You guys seem to be really protective when it comes to pony. They are not going to substitute MLP with LPS. There are so many people from FiM working on LPS, perhaps you are just jelly that they are not pumping out MLP episodes. Unfortunately Hasbro has reasons for this half season.
Let’s just wait and see, there is no need to panic;)

Oct 23, 2012 at 06:23AM EDT
Quote

No one is panicking, and it’s not really about being protective either. It’s mostly just a matter of being unimpressed, especially with their apparent mimicry of FIM. Even the names share a similarity.

We could use a new topic. How ‘bout that short season? It seems that when you have a successful series, there’s less need to invest in it, because the reruns are good enough for the kids? Not sure I fully understand, but okay.

Oct 23, 2012 at 08:01AM EDT
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

For a fandom that wants to leave an impression they aren’t into it for the saucy stuff, they’re doing a very bad job. Our image gallery is no exception to this, knowing how all the saucy images always get the most upvotes and favorites.


Burning_phoneix wrote:

(That means you too Twilight)


Chowzburgerz wrote:

They should do something with Derpy especially for the hardcore fans. Seriously, we should threaten Hasbro or something.

While I disagree with threatening Hasbro, I agree with giving Derpy a second chance. Remember, it wasn’t the scene that started all the shit, it was the removal afterwards. If they approach a Derpy scene more carefully this time, I’m sure it will work. Not to forget bronies still remember the previous time, so they’ll try to avoid the same shit this time (hopefully).


@Season 3 having more injokes

Please no. I don’t mind sublety, but if they constantly do that the show will lose its magic. They need to keep bronies as a fandom, not constantly involve them with the show. We love the show regardless of its target audience (little girls), so don’t go change the target audience now.


@LPS & MLP

>mfw

It hasn’t come out yet and its mention on EqD was most likely on request by Hasbro. Let’s not jump to conclusions too quickly already and wait first.

Oct 23, 2012 at 09:47AM EDT
Quote

@Chowzburgerz:

They should do something with Derpy especially for the hardcore fans. Seriously, we should threaten Hasbro or something.

Another Derpy fiasco is all we need… No, I think she’s perfect as an “Easter Egg” character. It’s more fun that way. Am I against her speaking again? Not at all. In fact, I think it would be kinda cool. But let’s try to remember that she’s a character created largely by the fandom. We shouldn’t expect her to play a huge role in the show.

@ More inside jokes:
I agree with RandomMan here. In jokes should be just that: in jokes. There shouldn’t be so many that it takes away from the show itself. Besides, how could they create new in jokes if they keep reusing the old ones?

@ Shorter season 3
I guess it makes sense. I mean, they have 52 episodes to work with already, so between them and the new 13 they will have enough reruns to last a while. Just looking at the cartoons my little brothers watch every morning, there can’t be that many individual episodes of any of them. Reruns… reruns everywhere… Oh, the sad truth about children’s programming. But hey, as long as they keep the quality up, I’m not going to complain too much!

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 10:21AM EDT
Oct 23, 2012 at 10:20AM EDT
Quote

@Littlest Pet Stahp

Yeah, I’m not interested in watching this or discussing it at all to be honest. I’ve seen bronies on other sites take just about every cutesy new thing getting a new show or being promoted a lot as an attempt at getting bronies’ attention. Just because they admitted that the carebears one was doesn’t necessarily mean that has to be the case for every new cute thing that comes out lol.

If you want to see obvious attempts at getting bronies’ attention (not to mention their monay) have a look in your local hot topic.

Last weekend I discovered that mine sells T-shirts, freaking belts, buttons and key chains – I even saw Lyra and Dr.Whooves stuff. On top of that there was a bin full of blind bags right there on the counter but all I left with was the dumbest grin on my face – it was pretty neat, I really wasn’t expecting to see that much pony stuff irl that day. And speaking of hot topic I also saw 2 of those nice derpy and rainbow dash figures at mine but yeah, I decided not to buy one. I like them and they’re a lot cheaper than I thought they’d but I’m pretty take it or leave it when it comes to collectables.

@reason for Season 3 being only 13 episodes
To me that makes perfect sense – when I was a kid and I wanted to watch spongebob, it didn’t really matter what episode it was, weather it was new or not, ect. I liked something in just about all of them, be it a memorable quote or particularly funny joke or gag. I imagine a lot of other kids were the same way – indifferent about new storylines and more interested in seeing the silly antics of the characters again that made them laugh – and I think that’s a much better explanation for there only 13 episodes than the “OH OH, GUISE! MAYBE THEY’RE AN HOUR LONG NOW!” Or “ERRMAHGAD, IT’S BECAUSE THERE’S GONNA BE A MOVIE!” kinds of rumors that I’ve been seeing people throw around on other sites.

Last edited Oct 23, 2012 at 11:17AM EDT
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!