Forums / Discussion / General

170,267 total conversations in 5,454 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

@Twilightlord saying “I’m pretty sure we’d established Scoots couldn’t sing, and she sure did there.”

(So I don’t know how to chop up quotes properly, so what?)

Well, Scootaloo may not have been able to sing before; however, theoretically, any pony can learn to do a talent they aren’t good at, until they become quite proficient at it.

The difference between those learned skills, and their special talents is that the special talents require no learning process to know how to perform the same results as learned skills. And more importantly, when they put extra effort into learning to get the most out of their talent, they can break the known boundaries of ability.

As such, Scootaloo may have learned from Sweetie Belle how to sing. Sweetie Belle seems to have it as a talent, so its not unreasonable. (Although, arguably, Sweetie belle is more of a composer and lyricist.)

Now this calls for some in depth… Just so we’re clear on learned skills vs special talents.

Compare, using the skill of “Magic” as an example:
Rarity: If she tried hard enough, she could probably learn to cast a large number of spells, and perform powerful ones. But it would take her years of study. Rivaling Twilight Sparkle would be hard, but not impossible if she had enough time.
Twilight Sparkle: She can perform powerful acts of magic with little effort, in fact, she first does it as a knee jerk reaction. However, she does seem to have trouble with a few spells that involve more complex knowledge of other subjects, such as transmutation, which probably requires knowledge on Chemistry. (Which is a reason she may be studying so hard at… everything. So her ability to perform magic isn’t hampered by lack of natural skill in other subjects.)

Of course, this all does make me wonder; is Pumpkin Cake the next magical prodigy? Having magic as a special talent? She does come to use magic a little too easily.

I was really surprised that apple bloom didn’t get her cutie mark upon seeing scootaloo’s oily imprint of a wrench. You’d think that would be a memo to check herself.

…And… you know. I kinda suspect Applebloom’s talent is like… making stuff. Like a mechanic or something. Either that or art. But a mechanist is more in line with what my comic will need from her.

(Which reminds me, one week left of College work before I can get back to my comic.)

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 06:22PM EST
Nov 24, 2012 at 06:07PM EST

Did anyone else notice the very clear A-Team theme musical reference in the ep? This is why I love this show.

That and it gives me diabeetus.

Also Sweetie Belle finally used a little bit of magic and Scoots flew a bit. My fanon is happy.

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 06:43PM EST
Nov 24, 2012 at 06:42PM EST

ZeroBlue4 wrote

Of course, this all does make me wonder; is Pumpkin Cake the next magical prodigy? Having magic as a special talent? She does come to use magic a little too easily.

Both Twilight an Rarity said that unicorn fillies tend to have uncontrolled spurts of magic. I’m not saying it’d be impossible for Pumpkin Cake to become a magical prodigy, I’m just saying that the one episode we saw her use magic in is not that much to go on
Nov 24, 2012 at 07:59PM EST

Today’s constructive post:

Subpar episode, overall. It lacked… something. I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Maybe I’m biased. It contained very little Twilight Sparkle, after all.

Although there were some extremely memorable quotes and a very catchy song (that I’ll be grabbing a remix of later).

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:15PM EST

I liked today’s episode as much as i like lurking, which means quite a bit.

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:44PM EST

@Zero
An alternative to your theory: Click here for bigger version!

Scootaloo confirmed for drummer, too!

@maplejet
They may have reused the A-Team theme, but the CMCs got the better cut-away poses.

(More hover-Scoots too!)

Last edited Nov 24, 2012 at 09:09PM EST
Nov 24, 2012 at 09:08PM EST

@Deadparrot

Scootaloo confirmed for awesome drummer.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:31PM EST

Also, is anyone else having trouble not listening to the Babs Seed song over and over again?

WHY DOES DANIEL INGRAM HAVE TO MAKE EVERY SONG HE TOUCHES AMAZING?!

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:50PM EST

>Didn’t really like the new song
>Everyone else did

Overall, the episode was decent though.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:56PM EST

@Dan

Gotta love the character progression, too:

I will never get tired of this.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:48PM EST

Great episode. I liked Babs’ accent, the song, the A-Team reference, and Pinkie Pie’s weird lettuce scene. Also, the CC are just as adorable as usual.

Still, I’m much more curious about the Trixie one coming up.

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:15AM EST

Heh, this episode had quite some of d’awws and shout-outs. Also, that song is just so damn catchy. I wonder if Babs (and maybe Braeburn) will return for the upcoming Apple Family Reunion episode sometime later on…

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:38PM EST

Who wants to see a Pony in a piano?!?

So for those of you who don’t know, I began a collaboration with Exudes’ about two months ago to create an animation and I’ve been viciously torturing him ever since. I wrote a piece of piano music and Exudes went through hours and hours of painstaking effort to make an animation for it while I shouted ideas for improvement like the bitchy backseat driver that I am. Well, after weeks of Exudes working hard and me critiquing his efforts, the product is finally finished! Exudes should be posting this himself, but he wants to avoid Pony General until he gets around to watching the new episode.

Here’s Pinkie’s Piano

Seriously, Exudes deserves major props for this. See the piano keys in that animation? If you were to play those same keys in that order on an actual piano, you’d be playing my song. He did this with no previous musical experience and with nothing to go on but a couple guides I drew up in MS paint. Go and tell him what an awesome badass he is.

Last edited Nov 25, 2012 at 03:01PM EST
Nov 25, 2012 at 02:53PM EST

Congratulations to both you and Exudes, that was a excellent animation, I will hope there will be even better collaborations in the future.

Well I have got my synchtube room ready for the stream, next time I will have a better banner for the room, I have been busy this weekend and did not have the time to complete a better one. It will officially start at 7 pm but you can join for the content that I have lined up and the content you want to add to the stream around 5:30 – 6 pm.
link

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:55PM EST

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

FUN

the fun has been DOUBLED

Pinkie Puffs

I must remember to use that first one’s gag sometime… Spending a lot of time to explain elevators (or an approximation of) in a more D&D style version of Equestria would be wasted if i never get to use a gag like that.

Although considering some circumstances, I’ll probably not be able to use Lyra for the gag… at first. Unless I use an AU Lyra, as the main Lyra would probably be one of the ones watching the elevator from the outside.

I suppose that’s the peril of making the most meme worthy character be part of the “Magic and Science R&D department.”

(This is going to be a long week…)

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:17PM EST

I just publicly condoned the consumption of alcohol. All my college applications are now forfeit.

Anyways, the moral of the story is don’t resort to bullying the bullies, always tell a responsible adult (or a responsible Applejack) and don’t trust Exudes with big animation projects because his work ethic is terrible. Oh well, Picture Perfect Pony took over three months, and this took two, and I’d like to say it’s more than two thirds as good, right? Right.

What’s this? DeadParrot favoriting something that isn’t a plushie or Tiny Wings fan art?

Episode discussion time.

Personally, I’ve never really liked the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Individually, I love all of them: Applebloom is great, Scootaloo is great, and, surprise surprise, Sweetie Belle is actually my favorite, though as a cohesive unit, all of their episodes to this point seemed really weak and awkward. But I actually really liked this one, bad-fan-fiction-dark-past and clichéd bullying message aside. Babs Seed was a sufficiently interesting character, and there was a good deal of continuity and antics. The animator part of me came when they did that rotation thing as Babs pushed the CMC off the cutaway during the song.

Now excuse me as I attempt to write fan fiction. Dammit I said I would never do that

Last edited Nov 25, 2012 at 04:57PM EST
Nov 25, 2012 at 04:47PM EST

Exudes, that animation was so adorable and very polished. Bravo :3
Fifths’ piano music was equally awesome.

Now back to lurking the internet thinking about actually doing something productive…

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:31PM EST

@Twilit
That’s Cloudkicker, not Derpy actually.

Derpy and the Doctor were already confirmed as OTP back on Hearts and Hooves Day though.

The Doctor can take other ponies to the movies on occasion too.
All is well.

@Exudes
Oh god, did I favorite that?!

Nah, you absolutely deserve it.
Fifths showed me that song back when he first wrote it and I’ve been following along with your animation ever since you started.
It’s been fun and the end result is awesome!

@Everyone
Just a reminder, Tim is streaming RIGHT NOW!
Come on in!
CLICK HERE

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:54PM EST

When trying to garner attention for a reboot of a comic that has its own entry belittling his highly successful comic, and you want to make yourself more relevant in Web Culture, go with the big ‘’MLP.’’

inb4 I get an angry email from Buckley saying I can’t link to his comic without permission.

I find it absolutely fascinating how people who have been drawing for nothing for only a few months can draw ponies better than a well-established, professional comic artist.

But maybe that’s just the difference between focusing on a comic with a specific style with a specific animal (human) and drawing whatever you want or focusing specifically on ponies. A professional comic artist also doesn’t have the luxury of a tumblr schedule.

No, I don’t consider VGCats to be a professional comic. Why do you ask?

Also, from Twitter (when I can’t sleep, I’ve taken to watching the Twitter feed for the phrase “my little pony.” Pony never sleeps.) You get a new Tweet (or two or four) every minute, even among the Twitter population (which is an entirely different population than Web Culture.)

Anyway, the Tweet:

My Little Pony on in the dentist’s waiting room. The ponies are being influenced by an evil spirit. It’s like being on LSD or something.

…Name. That. Tune Episode.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 09:35AM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 09:29AM EST

@parrot

All is well between derpy and the doctor, you say?

@Verbose about that tweet

That tweeter must be talking about one of the discord episodes, right? evil influence and trippiness and whatnot.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10AM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:08AM EST

@Episode

This has been the first episode of the season without any major flaws, there hasn’t been any questionable tests or deus ex machinae. The usually dreadful bully topic was handled pretty well and the moral: “Tell an aduld about it” is unimpeachable cosidering the target demographic.
Of course bulying, the reasons and resolutions and can be very diverse, but I think that they pulled it off quite well, as they gave Babs some personality. Starting to bully in order to hide the own insecurities is quite common.

It’s quite interesting that you can draw parallels between Babs behaviour and a former hater who became a brony.

>Babs new in town
>Introduction of the cmcs and their antagonists
>Decides to join the antagonists
>Realisation that cmcs are actually quite cool (and adorable)
>Defending cmcs now

@Verbose
Is it Briddle Gossip?

@References
Did you get the Glodfinger one?^^

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 10:24AM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12AM EST

So once again I had to wait until 12:15 this morning to watch the new episode, but it was worth it! I’m really enjoying these latest few CMC episodes!

So many culture references… Did anyone else notice the A-Team (sort of) theme when they were building the float? I laughed, this show never ceases to surprise me.

And, of course, dat song. Still going through my head!

However, I did find this one to be a little bit predictable. The problem, the “solution,” and the inevitable backfire… but that didn’t make it any less enjoyable!

One question: Did anyone find Derpy anywhere?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:18AM EST

@Whitish
Yeah, I think some people may have picked up on the Bond parallel:

@Commodore
Everyone loves the A-Team!

And just for fun, have a Lyra song storyboard that’s looking very interesting:

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53AM EST

@Commodore 64, If we count little sighting of a grey pony that we can’t confirm are not Derpy, I saw a few of those. However, I don’t remember anything that we can say without a doubt was her. Everything I remember was just of hooves, or the back of the head (which I assume is still her character model).

As for Goldfinger: When I first saw golden Sweetie Belle, I was honestly thinking more along the lines of how they could got a Metallic pony like the toy line has into the show. Maybe this was because they already did something similar with the crystal ponies. However, I don’t know if there is a metallic version of Sweetie Belle.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:37PM EST

@Jacob:

Hmm, so then it’s only a matter of time before they release a solid gold Sweetie Belle figurine…

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:16PM EST

@Iamslow

I can see that’s some kind of reenactment of “A canterlot Wedding”, but I’m not sure where it’s taking place.

But what baffles me is why none have elected to find some to dress up as the horde of changelings.

…Of course, whoever is doing that is probably looking for something more sweet.

What is the real point of me saying all this?

“Context Please!”

Seriously, why don’t you have words? Do they just fail? Is the image enough on its own? Why?

(Now considering calling one’s self the element of curiosity)

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:11PM EST

@Iamslow: I have no words…

Poni

There was something going around about a guy from /mlp/ called Mando related to what I think was Applebloom voice actor. Any one knows about this?

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:26PM EST

Iamslow wrote:

Ракосель?
Rakosel? Sorry, my Russian is a little rusty…

Ooh! Let’s try Google Translate! Hm, nope… looks like the English word is also “Rakosel.”

Well then.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:42PM EST

@Bruno (about Mandopony)

As best as I understand it:

• Mandopony is a fan musician who’s gotten close to show staff for his work.
  • Michelle Creber (and her mother) wanted to work with Mandopony on some professional work and some leisure stuff.
    • As such, Creber and Mandopony became friends on Facebook and on Twitter. They often talked with each other, and Mandopony spoke highly of Creber.
  • The “problem” with this is that Michelle Creber is 13, and Mandopony is an adult male.
    • (If people have a problem with adult males watching My Little Pony, then they would certainly have a problem with a man working with a girl for fun.)
  • 4chan (specifically /mlp/) caught wind of this (Mandopony wasn’t really hiding the fact that he was working with Creber,) and they began to mock him by calling him “Mandopedo” and the like.
  • Sibsy, Andrea Libman, and others from the show who know Mandopony came to his defense on Twitter.
    • Unfortunately, the best thing to do in this situation is to simply ignore it. “Getting people to come to your aid via Twitter” (he didn’t ask for that, but he did appreciate it, as he should have) is one of the worst things you could do in regards to dealing with anonymous users on the Internet.
      • As such, it brought more attention to /mlp/‘s claims, and it began to spread throughout parts of /mlp/ that weren’t involved and all of bronydom.

My thoughts:

• Just like criticism should be expected (even if not warranted) for being a brony, you should certainly expect anonymous people on the Internet to give you grief for being a man working with a girl who’s barely a teen on fan art. It comes with the territory.
    • Especially when they’re probably a little bit jealous.
  • The Internet reminds me on occasion of how messed up it is. To accuse (or joke) about a guy being a pedophile in a unique situation like this is more than unfair: it’s potentially damaging professionally.
    • To have allegations of pedophilia for Michael Jackson is one thing. He’s the King of Pop. He had lawyers upon lawyers. He had tons of resources. No one was going to keep him from making music because of allegations.
  • However, Mandopony is just a rising musician in a fandom that is already suspect. Enough attention on an issue is enough to make a musician lose their credibility professionally, even through random allegations. And when there is a situation that exists that could be called into question (i.e., working with a female teen for fun), it adds undue credence to random claims. nothing has to be said. The potential harms outweigh whatever fun you get from making such claims (or even jokes.)

Or more simply, Mandopony is technically doing nothing wrong (again, Creber’s mother suggested the two work together, it seems. So she explicitly approves.) Some (not all) of /mlp/ have the veil of anonymity to back them, so they don’t feel any need to be responsible about what attention to the issue does to a person in reality.

I’ve got no problem with Mandopony. He probably overreacted at first, but that’s all.
The people on the Internet and some of the people on /mlp/ seem to have a very low level of morality:

“I can’t get in trouble for slander, so it makes it OK for me to slander.”
(Or worse, I can’t get in trouble for slander, I get my jollies from doing so, and I just don’t care enough about any of the consequences for other people to stop.)

Whether or not it can be expected is only relevant to the person who’s probably going to get grief. Just because it isn’t right doesn’t mean you’re smart for thinking people don’t care about what is right.

But the people calling him a pedophile that feel like it’s justified, because it’s just “random talk on the Internet” probably aren’t aware that employers use the Internet to screen prospective employees (and they can figure out my real name if they wanted. They could figure out Mandopony’s too.)

God bless these people. They’re very selfish, and their minds aren’t right.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 04:18PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 03:34PM EST

@Verbose

Fanon working together with canon, I don’t see how age should cause a problem for that. It only makes sense that they’re going to need some teens for the fillies their voices. It’s no secret either that most bronies are adults. Sure, an adult with a young teen is not to most safest looking scenario from an outsider’s perspective, I’ll give them that. But come on, learn to trust people, I’m sure Hasbro knows the people they’re working together with. All those teen celebrities also need a coach; I don’t hear people complaining about possible pedophilia there.

Deadparrot met the Applebloom voice actor, she even was in possession of his Scootaloo plush for a short while (during some “plush war” he told about). Does that make Deadparrot a pedophile for interacting with a teen voice actor, yes duh of course not.

Most of us have seen our share of R34 this fandom has produced, whether intentionally or accidentally I don’t care. Fact is that the fillies are also used in R34, full pornographic R34. I would worry more about those fans than someone like Mandopony (based on what you tell me about Mandopony here). Even with those fans, I don’t really bother too much. What is weird to one, is completely normal to another. And who am I to play judge here? True, it’s of fillies, but it’s also art (and no IRL), plus I’m in no mood to start a discussion about the acceptance of this right now.

The internet is simply a full drama machine. Not to forget that bronies tend to be rather defensive when they can be put into a bad spotlight (Jerry Springer for a most recent example). They like to maintain the “innocent” fandom look. But face it, nothing on the internet is sacred anymore. I understand their cause, but it was a lost battle from the beginning. So yeah, what you said, overreaction on all sides. But that’s the internet for you, full force and no analyzing beforehand.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 04:08PM EST

DeadParrot222 wrote:

@Whitish
Yeah, I think some people may have picked up on the Bond parallel:

@Commodore
Everyone loves the A-Team!

And just for fun, have a Lyra song storyboard that’s looking very interesting:

What a fun song! Sounds familiar though, did they get the melody from somewhere? Hmm, I feel like doing a quick analysis of this song, music theory powers go!

Alright, there were two elements in this song derived from Latin music, can you spot them? The first is the main chord progression outlined by that descending bassline. It is G minor, F major, Eb major, and D major, outlining the Andalusian Cadence which is very prominent in spanish music, particularly Flamenco. For those of you who remember the analysis I did on the CMC theme song, this is the same chord progression as was used for the verse section.

The other big latin element I noticed was the ‘ahead of the beat’ rhythmic syncopation. Usually the emphasized notes will fall squarely on one of the main beats of the song (the main beats are the beats you are tapping your foot to) but sometimes music will employ a technique called syncopation where the emphasized notes will sometimes fall either before or after the main beats and then the melody either has to slow down to let the beat catch up with it or speed up to catch up with the beat. Allowing the emphasized notes to fall AFTER the main beats is a technique popularly used in Jazz. Allowing the emphasized notes to come BEFORE the main beats is a technique heavily used in some genres of latin music. This song uses the latin version of syncopation where the emphasized notes fall before the beat and then the melody slows down to allow the beat to catch up.

To understand this syncopation, tap your foot to this song and listen to how many of the emphasized notes in the melody will come before the beat.

@The whole Mandopony thing

Eh, what Verbose suggested is probably the best course of action here. Everyone should just ignore these claims, don’t even give them the dignity of responding to them.

Honestly, I think the whole thing is almost as insulting to Michelle Creber as it is to Mandopony. I listened to her talk at EQLA and she was very mature for her age. The implication by these mouth breathers on 4chan that she’s just a piece of stupid meat that can be taken advantage of at Mandopony’s leisure is just ignorant.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 04:26PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 04:15PM EST

First time posting in this thread…

(continuing with the cmc episode)
The song was too catchy, i liked the part where the smell was trying to abduct spike then pinkie interfered and took his spot, as well as the crash. It’s like she had planned on crashing her float on purpose…

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:19PM EST

I don’t know if it’s been discussed yet, but apparently there’s a pay-to-play MLP iphone game, and this was a response to it:

“It’s no secret that I’m comically bad at anything FPS related that isn’t Portal, but I noticed that while I spent the weekend trying (and failing) to lern 2 borderlands my Tumblr friends spent it complaining about the pay-to-play nature of the My Little Pony iPhone game.

And I couldn’t do an image search for “Butt Stallion” that didn’t begin and end with piles of Rarity fanart."

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:42PM EST

@Iamslow
The only part of that picture I agree with is that psycho Pinkie on the screen in the back.

@Mando
Yeah, every time I’ve seen this subject brought up, Verbose jumps in and says absolutely everything that I would have said.
I completely agree that /mlp/ users are once again being irresponsible with their anonymity.
While accusations like this are almost par for the course on the internet, saying them about real people in a real professional relationship, especially when both parties are just beginning to break into the industry, could potentially have consequences.
Hopefully, /mlp/ will get tired of it and move on soon.

@Arrow
Welcome to the thread!
We’re all good friends here and we’re always looking for more people to join in!

SPOILER CLIP FROM NEXT WEEK’S EPISODE!
This looks like it should be interesting…

@Braler & Commodore below
There’s way more than a little pony in Borderlands 2.
A couple weeks after launch they added a new character, the Mechromancer, who is a total brony.
Check out a few of her skills:

Click To Embiggen

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 05:12PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 04:59PM EST

@Borderlands 2

I’ve never played the game myself, but a friend of mine is a big fan. I was in the room when he beat it, so I made sure to point out the reference to Fluttershy in the end credits!

The end of the middle paragraph.

Yep, now he will always remember there is a little bit of MLP in one of his favourite games! Although, he did point out that there was a “20% cooler” reference during the course of the story as well, so I guess he already knew that…

@Arrow_of_Light:
Welcome to the Pony General board!

Yes, I was kind of wondering how Pinkie managed to drive while sitting on the other side of her float reading a magazine…

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:02PM EST

Windigo with salad wrote:

Magic duel clip/ spoiler

Wow… Just…wow…

This… Just got real…

I suspect at least half of you would have your head cannon shattered from watching that. And the other half are going to be… Scared at just how far they took it…

Trixie… Why…?

(Vague foreshadowy comments aren’t spoilers are they?)

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:48PM EST

Probably not, ZeroBlue, but I wouldn’t make a habit of making them.

Context clues from enough vague comments will hint on people enough to spoil the episode.

However, there were some users who didn’t know this was a Trixie episode. They’d now know that it’s a Trixie episode in and of itself, so that’s spoiled. I think it’s appropriate (if not good) to post the links to spoiling videos as long as they are marked, but talking about how this episode contradicts fanon about Trixie is telling in itself.

I would suggest not even talking about it beyond “I’m really excited about the episode” or “That could be interesting.” Stuff like that maybe.

Not a rule, but a suggestion for courtesy.

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 05:56PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 05:54PM EST

Whoa, whoa whoa…we have a returning antagonist!?. As in…the writers are actually bringing back a previous antagonist!?

…I…I thought I would never see the day…

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:08PM EST

@Spoilers

WHAT’S THAT?! I CAN’T HEAR YOU, TOO NOISY IN HERE
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited Nov 26, 2012 at 06:28PM EST
Nov 26, 2012 at 06:28PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!