Forums / Discussion / General

171,027 total conversations in 5,490 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users


So Twilight uses the spell #25 (the one she learns in boast busters) to show up Trixie. COME ON TWI is that the best you got?

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 06:38PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 06:33PM EST
Quote

[some quote was here… but someone deleted it]


Um… that specific post mentions nothing about the amulet.

I’m not even sure I addressed The amulet at all, other than that it seems to infuse Trixie with Alicorn magic.

But anyways, My point is that Twilight changed her natural magical Aura to another “Kind” on her own, and if she can do that, then theoretically, any pony can do that. With… some effort.

So an Earth Pony that knows what they are doing can probably change their natural magical abilities away from what they normally are stuck with to one of the other “kinds” of magic by focusing on changing their… um… internal aura I’m Guessing.

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 06:52PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 06:43PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

[some quote was here… but someone deleted it]


Um… that specific post mentions nothing about the amulet.

I’m not even sure I addressed The amulet at all, other than that it seems to infuse Trixie with Alicorn magic.

But anyways, My point is that Twilight changed her natural magical Aura to another “Kind” on her own, and if she can do that, then theoretically, any pony can do that. With… some effort.

So an Earth Pony that knows what they are doing can probably change their natural magical abilities away from what they normally are stuck with to one of the other “kinds” of magic by focusing on changing their… um… internal aura I’m Guessing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:49PM EST
Quote

Fifths wrote:

Who? Me?

The one who deleted their Post that I quoted, and was addressing?

You?

No really… I have no idea.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:53PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

[some quote was here… but someone deleted it]


Um… that specific post mentions nothing about the amulet.

I’m not even sure I addressed The amulet at all, other than that it seems to infuse Trixie with Alicorn magic.

But anyways, My point is that Twilight changed her natural magical Aura to another “Kind” on her own, and if she can do that, then theoretically, any pony can do that. With… some effort.

So an Earth Pony that knows what they are doing can probably change their natural magical abilities away from what they normally are stuck with to one of the other “kinds” of magic by focusing on changing their… um… internal aura I’m Guessing.

There was no changed aura
It was parlor tricks, as seen with the explanation scene
simple smoke and mirrors

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:03PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

So using external objects to work as focuses (Foci?) for spells that use the magic user’s own magical power?

Yeah, that could work. It could even fit within the D&D analogy, seeing as many a D&D style spell requires a focus.

And thus, it would be that Unicorns just happen to have an inbuilt Focus.

Edit: Also, can you link to the Tumblr with Pinkie Pie, Element of Magic?

Something like that. In fact the amulet in the recent episode is a good example.

Here’s the profile on that tumblr

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:06PM EST
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Almost forgot about this one.

I rest my case.

Not to get too literal here, but it still leaves the door open for interpretation.
Maybe there was a ‘winged unicorn’ whose name was Alicorn.
Or this amulet was created in a temple in a city called Alicornia.
Plenty of possibilities.

Now obviously, the show staff has fully acknowledged their use of the word ‘alicorn’ as we use it so I’m absolutely confident that this was their effort enter the term into canon.
It’s just fun to play devil’s advocate sometimes.


Anyone else (besides Fifths) think this shot was perfectly in-charcter for Dash and loved it the first time around?
Did anyone else then go back and think of how hilarious it is once you know that one of those Dashes is actually Fluttershy?

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:11PM EST
Quote

1. The New episode was amazing.
2. Twilight has a habit of tipping over glasses.
3. @DeadParrot222 There are 2 Derpys in that scene, too bad you cut off the second one out.
4. This pony is creepy (you can also see the second Derpy in this scene), it has no eyes, yet it can see us…

Larger version.
5. Well there goes my theory about Sombra as a recurring theme, I hope they do bring him back some way for his redemption or else he will be one of the worst villains in my books.

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 07:46PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 07:20PM EST
Quote

Pinkie: I have no mouth and I must scream. xD
Seriously though, great episode. Loved everything about it.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:24PM EST
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

There was no changed aura
It was parlor tricks, as seen with the explanation scene
simple smoke and mirrors

Now you’re no longer arguing, you’re contradicting.

You aren’t even citing any evidence other than “This other event went this way, so it was likely the same”.

But really, that’s not a good argument; assuming the same conclusion from similar but different events is like flipping a coin and expecting it to come up heads twice.

…Or flipping it 10 times and expecting it to come up heads 10 times in a row.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:38PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

Now you’re no longer arguing, you’re contradicting.

You aren’t even citing any evidence other than “This other event went this way, so it was likely the same”.

But really, that’s not a good argument; assuming the same conclusion from similar but different events is like flipping a coin and expecting it to come up heads twice.

…Or flipping it 10 times and expecting it to come up heads 10 times in a row.

Imma leave you with a few wise words:
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics
Even if you win, you’re still retarded

Anyway….logic
We literally saw and heard Twilight explain what happened
crazy headcanon ain’t gonna do shit against that

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:46PM EST
Quote

@/thread discussion

what thead discussion should be
SQEEEEEEEE TRIXIE

Now get to worshiping Trixie

or else I will give you all a mustache

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:47PM EST
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

Imma leave you with a few wise words:
Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics
Even if you win, you’re still retarded

Anyway….logic
We literally saw and heard Twilight explain what happened
crazy headcanon ain’t gonna do shit against that

The only thing explained is what happened in that ONE instance where she tricks Trixie. She said nothing about Zecora’s magic, nor does that ever get addressed.

Jack s*** does Jack S**** against jack S***

…Stalemate…

Come to think of it, the entire issue is in stalemate until Word of god comes along.

I’ve raised the question to Faust though. And though she may not answer, and I may have asked the wrong person… I’m still now working to get to the bottom of this more than just saying “This happened against Trixie, all magic is slight of hand!”

Saying that another instance of magic is fake is like saying “because this one magic trick was fake, all magic is fake; even unicorn magic.”

Even I can tell that’s some kind of logical fallacy.

And yes, arguing on the internet is pointless. But fun.

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 08:03PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 08:00PM EST
Quote

@Zero

You aren’t even citing any evidence other than “This other event went this way, so it was likely the same”.

Hehehehehehehehe…

…Sorry I just noted you expecting reputable citations and evidence regarding how magic works in a kids cartoon and it just seemed sort of funny…never mind, carry on.

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:03PM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Zero

You aren’t even citing any evidence other than “This other event went this way, so it was likely the same”.

Hehehehehehehehe…

…Sorry I just noted you expecting reputable citations and evidence regarding how magic works in a kids cartoon and it just seemed sort of funny…never mind, carry on.

Yeah, yeah, MST3000 mantra and all…

Sorry, can you hold that thought, I’m having too much fun arguing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:06PM EST
Quote

Uh….I never said anything about all magic being fake, dude
I’m just saying, twilight never did anything besides literal magic tricks against trixie
Do you really think I’d take some power as large as raising the sun and moon as a mere “sleight of hand”?
I was addressing how you said twilight changed her “aura” to beat trixie when that was audibly and visually not the case

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:06PM EST
Quote

i liked the new episode

[spoiler] trixie [/spoiler]

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 08:15PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 08:09PM EST
Quote

Sandstone wrote:

Uh….I never said anything about all magic being fake, dude
I’m just saying, twilight never did anything besides literal magic tricks against trixie
Do you really think I’d take some power as large as raising the sun and moon as a mere “sleight of hand”?
I was addressing how you said twilight changed her “aura” to beat trixie when that was audibly and visually not the case

Wait… I never Said it was Twilight changing Aura to beat Trixie, that was me referring to the Crystal empire Saga to charge a crystal with dark magic, and her going all…well.

That is what I meant by the “Aura Change” done by Twilight. Including the when, where and what.

The Aura Change in the new episode is a different Aura change done by Trixie to use Alicorn powers, and twilight isn’t utilizing any Aura change herself this episode.

What I was Arguing was that Zecora may have pulled a similar skill off to both of those separate incidents, but instead of going dark, she goes… unicorn or whatever.

Yes, What Twilight does against Trixie is slight of hand…

Zecora on the other hand is probably not using slight of hand for her work.

That clear now?

(This is why you shouldn’t delete posts guys; now I have to explain a whole heap of context thanks to whoever deleted the first post I was about to quote when this chain started.)

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 08:43PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 08:34PM EST
Quote

miscommunication then
nevermind
obligatory luna since I ain’t posted any yet:

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:35PM EST
Quote

Derp Banned wrote:

I warned you


A sword/Broken Lightning bolt… with a mustache?

I mean… What?

Is that supposed to be like… Mustache flank or something?

It’s not even a decent placement.. I would have placed it on the hand guard.

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:48PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

A sword/Broken Lightning bolt… with a mustache?

I mean… What?

Is that supposed to be like… Mustache flank or something?

It’s not even a decent placement.. I would have placed it on the hand guard.


Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 09:02PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 08:58PM EST
Quote

I have overheard this on the internet… it is a big spoiler:
[div class=“Spoiler” title=“Season 3 Spoiler…”]Discord may be coming back this season to wreak havoc onto the lands of Equestria. John de Lancey said that he did some more voice work.[/div]
Your opinion on it?
(PUT IT IN SPOILERS, PLEASE.)

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:37PM EST
Quote

Geez, Derpy.
Quit being such a bully…

(Joking, should you be unable to tell)

@Lone
You want to use angle brackets in place of those square brackets.
As for your point, I’m not sure if that’s in need of a spoiler button or not, but I’ll use one just in case:

Yeah, John de Lancie confirmed that he did something for MLP back in April I think, so we will likely see Discord back in some form later in the season.
Now whether that will be in the form of a new rampage or some kind of flashback we really don’t know, but I’m personally hoping for the latter.
I think it would be more interesting to see his origins/his old reign than to just have him break out and annoy the main six again.
But really, any Discord is good Discord.

Oh yeah, and only one more week until you know what!

Edit
Alternate ending to Magic Duel:

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 10:10PM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 10:07PM EST
Quote

Eris the Pone wrote:



Mother of Celestia… I smell fanfiction.

Thing is, i never noticed her amulet shine at all when she used magic, so it’s just for decoration. Remenber, Trixie’s amulet shined wherever she used a spell.

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:32PM EST
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Geez, Derpy.
Quit being such a bully…

(Joking, should you be unable to tell)

@Lone
You want to use angle brackets in place of those square brackets.
As for your point, I’m not sure if that’s in need of a spoiler button or not, but I’ll use one just in case:

Yeah, John de Lancie confirmed that he did something for MLP back in April I think, so we will likely see Discord back in some form later in the season.
Now whether that will be in the form of a new rampage or some kind of flashback we really don’t know, but I’m personally hoping for the latter.
I think it would be more interesting to see his origins/his old reign than to just have him break out and annoy the main six again.
But really, any Discord is good Discord.

Oh yeah, and only one more week until you know what!

Edit
Alternate ending to Magic Duel:

of course I can

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 12:15AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 12:01AM EST
Quote

>went to my little face when

>not even looking for Trixie

Trixie what are you – TRIXIE STAHP!

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:23AM EST
Quote


My mind is full of trixie.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:51AM EST

I’m gonna be honest here, I really don’t like Trixie’s character. I just don’t
That being said, I thought the twist during the final duel was very brilliant, hilarious, and well done. Also, I like that Trixie had a sort-of redemption at the end.

Other than that, I really don’t have much to comment on. I really could give less of a crap about what kind of magic Zecora uses (I liked her return to the series). In my headcanon she is an enchantress, not a magician.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:55AM EST
Quote

As a heads up, I’m not likely to start a SynchTube tomorrow at 7pm Eastern like has been done the past couple of weeks. I have a prior engagement, and I expect it to go a little after the time we’ve begun.

There was Daniel’s two Synchtubes today, but in the effort in having a scheduled one (and if Daniel gets busy with work and can’t have one for a few weeks,) we still have the Sunday 7pm Eastern time scheduled.
 
So I’d ask for someone to start one at 7pm and post the link here in the thread. If someone hasn’t/can’t start one, then I’ll start one when I get back. I don’t expect it to be much later than 8pm Eastern.


As for ZeroBlue, I’m going to let that go. I don’t know if you guys want to hear his theories or my rebuttal anymore, but I might suggest you go by other sites and forums and see what they think about Rainbow Dash being able to perform a hadoken.

Feel free to continue talking about them here. As long as its civil, I’m not going to discourage it unless many other users begin to not want to hear it.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:58AM EST

@Jolly Crimson Locks
I say Zecora is a Force adept.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:01AM EST

Crimson Locks wrote:

I’m gonna be honest here, I really don’t like Trixie’s character. I just don’t
That being said, I thought the twist during the final duel was very brilliant, hilarious, and well done. Also, I like that Trixie had a sort-of redemption at the end.

Other than that, I really don’t have much to comment on. I really could give less of a crap about what kind of magic Zecora uses (I liked her return to the series). In my headcanon she is an enchantress, not a magician.

“I’m gonna be honest here, I really don’t like Trixie’s character.”
Not allot of people do, it is just fun to plaster her everywhere.

And it was nice to see her get a somewhat decent redemption, followed by her tripping.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 01:14AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 01:13AM EST
Quote

@Verbose
I kinda like arguing actually. It’s fun, most of the time. It keeps my head busy.

If you’ve had enough, then, okay. Neither of us can really win or lose, since we’re talking fanon here. And until we get our answers from one of the show’s staff, I’m happy to go with my head-canon.

…But its just so much fun to debate an issue like this. It gets the Blood pumping, and rarely does anyone get hurt.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:15AM EST
Quote

They brought Trixie back and didn’t mess it up! Honestly, this was probably the episode I was most looking forward to this season, and I was really pleased with how it turned out. Even though I knew it would be so beforehand, I’m really glad Trixie was a villain, and didn’t make it some stupid episode in which Twilight would act out of character only to learn at the end some lesson about forgiveness, which was probably my greatest fear. I liked the ending quite a bit, what with some decent redemption, but Trixie still didn’t stick around, which is nice.

All in all, it made me like a pony that I never really cared for before, though that was mainly the obsessive fanon’s fault.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 01:33AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 01:28AM EST
Quote

Shit, I just noticed the Spoiler button is… not a Spoiler button.

Damn, who changed the scripting?

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:04AM EST
Quote

@Is Zecora magic

Forget to mention this before but I thought the cup thing was neat because it added another layer of mystery to her character. I think it’s possible that since her thing is being mysterious and since she’s become a familiar character they want to keep us from thinking that we know even then fundamental things about her.

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 02:44AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 02:39AM EST
Quote

Yo Pony General I’m real happy for ya an I’m gonna let you finish, but

Page 116 was the best of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 02:53AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 02:52AM EST
Quote

Jeez, I wonder what Seth is thinking of Trixie now…
seriously that has been on my mind for quite a while.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:09AM EST
Quote

@Lone K

Shit, I just noticed the Spoiler button is… not a Spoiler button.
Damn, who changed the scripting?

The scripting hasn’t changed, you just used BB code brackets instead of HTML. Change [] to <>

More here

Last edited Dec 02, 2012 at 03:37AM EST
Dec 02, 2012 at 03:28AM EST
Quote

Okay, New topic! And related to a fan fic idea I’m bouncing around in my head!

Say that for whatever reason, the elements of Harmony were split in half in an AU scenario of Episodes 1+2 of Season one. One half goes to their usual bearer. The other half goes to one of the others, combining the pieces each receives to create a new “Element of Harmony” (Though it would technically be an Alloy. HA!)

Who would receive the other parts of which elements?

(P.S. My idea for the fic involves Rainbow Dash ending up with half Magic and half Loyalty. [Don’t ask why, that’s a pointless en-devour, considering my brain runs on pure remix.] So if you could, can you find a version that would fit with that idea, as well as the one you’d use for your own personal version? Thanks!)

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:02AM EST
Quote

@Zero
Hmm…
If I’m understanding your question correctly, you are talking about giving each pony a sort of ‘sub-element’ in addition to their original?
That’s actually kind of interesting so here’s my idea.
(Sorry, no RD as magic. In fact, I don’t think any of the others really fit with magic so I’ll just say that Twilight gets ‘double magic.’)

First up: Applejack.
Somewhat reflecting that old argument that AJ and RD’s elements were swapped during production, I’d say that AJ would be an honesty/loyalty hybrid.
She even calls herself ‘the loyalest and most dependable of ponies’ in the show (Applebuck Season, I believe.).

Next: Rarity.
A little tougher but I’d give Rarity a dash of honesty to go with her generosity.
It’s not a perfect fit as she does stretch the truth at times, but she is certainly willing and able to be very straightforward and honest when it comes to her artistic and aesthetic vision.

Now: Fluttershy.
In addition to her kindness, I think generosity is a decent fit for Fluttershy.
Despite her fears, she is typically (if somewhat reluctantly) willing to help her friends when she can.
(Actually, this is largely given by process of elimination. She’s definitely not honesty, loyalty, or laughter so there’s really only one option left.)

On to: Pinkie Pie.
I don’t think that it’s too outlandish to give Pinkie a sub-element of kindness.
Being the element of laughter and her desire to bring smile wherever she goes plays a role in this, too.
Now, she does have a habit of being annoying which may seem ‘unkind,’ but this is never done intentionally and always comes from a deep-seated desire to make others feel better.

And finally: Rainbow Dash.
Not too tough to see Dash as a combination of loyalty and laughter.
Her jokes are a little more barb-filled, but they are typically all in good fun.
Besides Pinkie, Dash probably laughs more often than any of the other primary characters and, while her emotions are rather volatile, she does tend to be pretty jovial and positive most of the time.

Abbreviated version:
AJ = Ho + Lo
R = Ge + Ho
F = Ki + Ge
Pinkie = La + Ki
RD = Lo + La

So that’s the way I would split things up in your hypothetical situation.
The traits seem reasonably plausible to me and the elements are nicely permuted through the rest of the group.

Wow, I actually typed all of that out.
I think it’s time for bed now.
4 a.m. is too late for log diatribes on odd pony topics.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:14AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!