KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

burning_phoneix wrote:

The episode was leaked agai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YaLb0WbF4

1080p HD link above.

That is…

A remarkably close time to show time to leak it…

It's almost useless!

Seriously, I can wait another hour and find a Stream.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

@Fifths

I'm almost done with my "Take 2" on the "Children of Celestia" thing. Just need to finish with the color.

I look forward to having you tear it to pieces!

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 09:47AM EST

@Phoenix
Might as well embed for the lazier folks 'round here.

@Bruno
<div class=spoiler title="Well, how about these apples?!">

Apparently, that Canterlot gardener, Cloudchaser, Blossomforth, Carrot Top, and Bonbon are all related to the Apple Family in some way!
Or Ponyville has a real problem with party crashers…

Can't wait to see the inevitable comic/memes/jokes/fics that come out of this stuff!
Rationalization, away!

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 10:29AM EST

So whenever you can't get the original Braeburn voice actor to come back and voice a generally unimportant, secondary character, you show him as much as possible in no subtle way to make up for it.

Hey, look at that Babs Seed. It was fairly obvious that they didn't just throw her into this episode, so I wonder if the fact they brought her back so soon indicates that she might be a recurring secondary character.

Hey, look at that barn. Poor barn…

Parasprites, Pinkie Pie's, Rainbow Dash's, Applejack's…I hope the writers acknowledge just how often the barn is destroyed in a future episode. About every 15 episodes or less, the barn will bite the dust.

Hey, look at how Applejack continued to ask her friends for help while obviously being the workaholic that helps characterize her.

It was a pretty good episode all-around, and the song at the end was pretty catchy. There weren't many laugh out loud moments, but I think Cindy Morrow and crew did a good job with making an episode that could have easily been said to be out of character for Applejack (i.e., not being perfect), could have been really cringe worthy with how far Applejack wanted to take the Apple Family Reunion (sometimes, it's pretty hard for me to watch one of the ponies learn a lesson,) and there was a lot of interaction and small bits with the rest of the Ponyville Apple family. So it was an Applejack episode that gave time to Apple Bloom (she's had plenty though,) Granny Smith, and Big McIntosh (without overusing his "Eeyup") as well.

Good show, good show.

Oh, and Ms. Celly got a letter. Applejack is so perfect.

Oh.

I'll headcanon that.

My thoughts on the new episode:
I expected to learn what happened to AJ's parents, so that was dissapointing.
And I expected Applejack to sing while she was planning and preparing the reunion, not just sing some repetitive square dance song
But it did have one redeeming quality: Baby Applejack

HNNNNNNNNNNG
Overall, I'd give it a 4.5/10, slightly lower than Meh.

I very much enjoyed this episode. It was just one of those feel-good family episodes, and I like that. I expected AJ to sing while she was planning for the reunion, but then again we've seen plenty of "planning" songs so it was nice to see a "working together" song similar to Winter Wrap Up (one of my favorite MLP songs). It was good to see Babs and Braeburn return along with other background apple family characters. I'm wondering why they have the reunion every 100 days? maybe I missed something.

Also, I had just assumed that they stopped writing letters to Celestia which I was completely fine with (I just saw it as an unnecessary way to spell out the moral of the story at the end of the episode) but now they brought it back and I am so confused now as to why they were left out of the first 7 episodes of the season! >.<

@Crimson
I misheard granny at the beginning and thought she said "100 years" thus confirming the theory that she's ridiculously old.
Going back, I realized that she actually said that reunions happened every 100 moons, a 'moon' being about equal to one month.
So, these things happen every 8 years or so.

@Baby AJ
Crazy cute, but I'd still like to know what the deal with her parents is.
Apparently, she was just found under a table one year and the rest was history!

(I'm actually very fond of the idea Verbose posted. Those shooting stars seemed like very nice symbols and a cool, subtle way to get the point across.)

@Braeburn
I'm guessing that they just didn't have a reason to integrate him into the story in a meaningful way.
Braeburn is voiced by Andrew Francis, the same guy who plays Shining Armor, so I doubt it was a problem of getting the actor back.

Edit:
Looks like that documentary trailer from the other day has now been officially released for everyone:

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 01:14PM EST
Going back, I realized that she actually said that reunions happened every 100 moons, a ‘moon’ being about equal to one month.

But… wasn't there one that Applejack mentioned happened in the first episode… in response to a question on why they couldn't help out?

So… Either 8 years have passed, and our favorite ponies haven't aged much, (Applebloom is still a kid), or… they have a different Celestial system by which to chart "Moons". Which either happen at a faster rate than ours, or their years are longer, or something else.

Also, in case you missed the part I mentioned was most memorable:

BATS!!!!!! GLORIOUS GODAMN BATS!!!!! BATS OUT OF FREAKING NOWHERE!!!! BATS MADE OF FRUITS!!!!!

M(0W0)M

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 01:44PM EST

Luna Protege wrote:

Going back, I realized that she actually said that reunions happened every 100 moons, a ‘moon’ being about equal to one month.

But… wasn't there one that Applejack mentioned happened in the first episode… in response to a question on why they couldn't help out?

So… Either 8 years have passed, and our favorite ponies haven't aged much, (Applebloom is still a kid), or… they have a different Celestial system by which to chart "Moons". Which either happen at a faster rate than ours, or their years are longer, or something else.

Also, in case you missed the part I mentioned was most memorable:

BATS!!!!!! GLORIOUS GODAMN BATS!!!!! BATS OUT OF FREAKING NOWHERE!!!! BATS MADE OF FRUITS!!!!!

M(0W0)M

You know, I'm starting to wonder how their moon works.
Since it being controlled by Princess Luna and all that.

In every episode, doesn't it show that the moon is always up when it is in the middle of the night, considering the fact that Luna always has to raise the moon in the night? So that may mean that one moon is directly linked to one day and night.

It is a plausible thing, so don't overlook this.

@Baby Applejack

Baby… Applejack???
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Also I noticed that there was a certain scream made by Applebloom…

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 02:11PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Let me guess, Derpy was left out again.

Nobody cares.

I'm getting more annoyed by people pointing this out every goddamn episode than the lack of Derpy herself. It's so fucking trivial, yet people are making such an issue out of it.

So… not one of you want to talk about the sudden bats out of nowhere? or the fact they are Fruit Bats Literally made of Fruit?!

No one? This is worse than a big lipped alligator moment, and yet, nothing?

Oh well…

W(0M0)W
_ \V_V/_

RandomMan wrote:

Nobody cares.

I'm getting more annoyed by people pointing this out every goddamn episode than the lack of Derpy herself. It's so fucking trivial, yet people are making such an issue out of it.

BUT! but…

I care…

But yeah, there are usually better things to talk about – especially on new episode days. (besides the way they're giving the other background ponies more screen time kinda makes up for it imo, so I don't wanna complain about it that much).

@new episode

I don't seem to enjoy apple family related shenanigans as much as other people seem to and I don't quite know why but I don't think it was a bad episode. The cameos were neat, too.

@fifths

I know, right? It's almost unsettling

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 04:49PM EST

I believe that is clear that Applejack's parents are DEAD. Right?

@Derpy Vazquez: That, that… Actually makes sense!
25 is a very reasonable age.

@ZeroBlue4: Is that a Scootabot?

@Half Baked Apple: Is there any joke in hakf baked ? If so I didn't get it.

Anything about the next episode?

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 06:24PM EST

Derpy Vaz wrote:

I don't know.
Even if it's a picture, the appearances of the characters in question do not change within the next 16 years, which is strange since that Granny Smith could have died within that one time frame.

I have ONE thing to say:
inb4 discussion of the amount of days it takes for Equestria's moon to become full.

One thing for certain, the celestial orbits may not be very much the same at all.
I am wondering, though: How does Princess Celestia "raise" the Sun? Is it a gimmick or is their solar system, dare I say this, geocentric? Maybe, maybe not, but it may just be heliocentric and not any other way at all.
(I do think I remember a discussion like this in the earlier pages of this thread, but it has baffled me for a while and I cannot think about it easily.)

Applejack's parents are dead.

Oh, I'll either be on the road all day tomorrow or I'll be packing for the majority of it, so I won't begin any Synchtube tomorrow.

Normally, I'd say to begin at 7pm Eastern just so the time stays in place and it continues to be a scheduled time to work around, but since I won't have any hand in it, then you can do whatever you want at whatever time you want.

Last edited Dec 22, 2012 at 10:26PM EST

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

I believe that is clear that Applejack's parents are DEAD. Right?

@Derpy Vazquez: That, that… Actually makes sense!
25 is a very reasonable age.

@Half Baked Apple: Is there any joke in hakf baked ? If so I didn't get it.

Anything about the next episode?

I found it funny because baked is a slang term for "high on weed"

@Applejack's age

I hope I can put this in a way that makes sense

The apple family reunion takes place every 100 moons, right? So it would seem that the last reunion was about 8 years ago. That makes no sense to me. That would mean that the time from the first episode to this moment in the series took eight years. I don't know how long a full moon cycle is in Equestria, but I think it would make more sense if the apple family reunion took place once every year or two years.

Or maybe "100 moons" is just an expression and not a period in time. I don't know.

@Half Baked Apple: Is there any joke in hakf baked ? If so I didn’t get it.

Half baked when applied to a person (or in this case a pony) means foolish or stupid. It is also a term for a poorly conceived/unfinished plan. I find this a pretty funny name for a pony.

Fun fact: Half Baked is also the name of a comedy about a stoner

It was a good episode. Honestly, I don't really feel like writing about it right now, since it's midnight and I can't quite pin down what I liked and didn't like right now.

I will, however, post this about "Applejack's Parents Are Dead":

Those two shooting stars at the end… Applejack's parents.

The shooting stars also appeared near the beginning when Granny Smith was talking about how "Not everyone would be able to make it" the next time. Then, Applejack looks up at the sky and sees the two shooting stars which later appear at the end…. it seems that it's confirmation that Applejack's parents are indeed dead.

That was the top comment on the first EQD 1080p link. Just to clarify for people who may or may not have understood Verobse's pic/vague hints given by others. Honestly… I kinda like it.

It's sad to have Applejack's parents to be confirmed dead.
Jeez, we never even got to see them, maybe SHE never even got to see them.
Must or would be terrible to break it to them. :(
I think a part of me died a bit to hear that, but I don't know why.

We never got to hear about Rainbow Dash's or Fluttershy's parents, so there isn't anyway to confirm if they are alive or not.

And Lauren Faust (which I realized is pronounced F-ow-st, fml) talked about their ages here.
They're all probably in the age range of 18-24 years old, as she had said that they're young adults.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 03:16AM EST

Iamslow wrote:

@Zeroblue

Did your OC just call Celestia a whore?

Uh oh…

MWAHAHAHAHA! This is exactly what I Wished for this Christmas!

… I mean… Sure… I can handle being sent to the moon… [Fails to hide massive grin]

Is that a whale? Good thing Celestia sent the sword too, it looks like I'm eating Japanese tonight!

Time for an Acapella Moonlight Sing along!

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Yeah… I think that was established. Any other vast observations?

Okay, now for serious question time…

You know how at one point there were Blind bags that made Fluttershy look like this?

Why isn't there more of this?

I mean, at the very least, there should be a Tumblr blog called "Ask Tomboy Fluttershy"!

It would probably be the easiest to do, and all that one would need do do is make her like "guy stuff", and she could still be shy, or jumpy if one wants.

And since "Tomboy" is a broad term anyways, it could lend to lots of different possible versions, with at least one version out there seeming plausible.

Anyone?

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 07:50AM EST

Derpy Vaz wrote:

did you guise notice there was no Derpy sighting?

What would Derpy be doing at an Apple Family Reunion (what are cloud chaser and Bon Bon doing there too?) cause the Apple Family seem to be pretty good at destroying their property just fine without Derpy.

As for the episode. I liked it very much, possibly because I do indeed have a huge extended family who join in large gatherings where we…do shit I guess.

And they FINALLY SENT A LETTER TO CELESTIA! I don't really bother with the letters because I'm not a child and I already understand these very simple lessons.

But this letter, it makes me feel better about the limited time I spend with my family (Generally only 2-3 weeks a year as I study in New Zealand) Most of the time I just…hang out and I berate myself afterwards (" FUCK I WASTED THESE TWO WEEKS JUST DICKING AROUND WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME?") so a little reassurance that just hanging out with family is good is a nice little lesson to learn.

The song was good but the chorus was pretty bad. I know it's a hoe down and they regularly shout " 1,2,3,4!" but did they have to waste that much time on a sup par chorus like that?

The beat and music was fine but the Chorus ruined it IMO.

Zero Blue wrote:

Why isn’t there more of this?

I mean, at the very least, there should be a Tumblr blog called “Ask Tomboy Fluttershy”!

There was some art relating to it when it came out:

But most people were too angry about Hasbro being lazy asses with their molds.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 08:14AM EST

null wrote:

Spike is a lighter.

Your arguments are invalid.

What the Heck? It's like a freaking Flintstones gag. Except, it's only freaking done once instead of a running gag.

Wait a minute…

Dog Damn it Spike! Stop Enabling their Dog Damned Flintstones Fantasies! You'll only hurt yourself!

Anyways, I a few three alternate theories on how often these family Reunions go on.

Theory A, The Convenient One), They happen about 3 times a Year, With the whole Moon=1 Night thing. So they show up to help with Winter Wrap up (Which is similar to a Christmas Gathering), Summer sun celebration (Which from an Australian perspective feels like New Years Day I guess), and this third time about now. Which seems to exist as a more private get together. Like… Mother's Day? Father's Day?

Theory B, Canon Extrapolation), From what we can tell, They showed up two Seasons ago, and from what we know, there's been two Winter/Christmas Episodes between then and now. So Two years have passed. So Half the "Hundred Moons" and 50 Moons is about the length of a Year. I doubt they have 50 months, so Divide 50 by 12ish, and we get about 5 Moons a Month. One Moon a Week?

Theory C, Calendar Shenanigans!), Maybe they don't have a normal year. After all, they are practically stated to be geocentric, so natural years are meaningless, not to mention the whole "Pegasi decide the Seasons" thing. So there may be two winters a year! Or more! For all we know, 100 Moons is their Version of a Year. And as they'd probably still measure age in Years, and end up with similar numbers to ours for appropriate age, they may even age slower than Humans… Actually, no, I'm being wishful again.

Theory D, F*** it!), Maybe they just decide to hold one whenever, and Granny is just being poetic about how they don't seem to do this often.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 09:31AM EST

Okay here's a thought, a bit of a personal preference gauge I guess. Ranking how your preferences go on The Passive Pony/Active Pony Divide, as well as the Tomboy/Girly Divide.

[Passive] →Twilight (1) → Rarity (2) → Fluttershy (3)
[Active] → Applejack(1) → Rainbow Dash(2) → Pinkie Pie(3)

[Girly] → Pinkie Pie(1) → Fluttershy(2) → Rarity(3)
[Tomboy] → Twilight(1) → Applejack(2) → Rainbow Dash(3)

Rank Your preferences of the Mane six, in Ascending order; and note down the number to go with them, starting at one, and ending with 6. (So your Favorite Pony is 6, and least is 1.)

Multiply Your chosen Rank scores of each pony with the numbers listed next to the Pony, and add the scores for each category together. Categories being: [Active] [Passive] [Girly] [Tomboyish]

Subtract the lower Total of either Passive or Active from the Higher; and that should leave you with your Overall Preference. Remember to do the same with Girly and Tomboyish.

What you're left with, is your Preference score. It's not exactly a scientific measurement, but it sounds fun.

Here's: What I got:
Active=10
Tomboy=14

Post your scores if you actually tried this.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 10:22AM EST

Ohai guys.

Did I miss anything? Oh who am I kidding… I've missed everything.

Anyway… I've finally watched the rest of S2 and all of S3 up to date.
Not bad, not bad at all.

So… how is everyone doing?
Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 03:23PM EST

­­­­­­­­­­ wrote:

Ohai guys.

Did I miss anything? Oh who am I kidding… I've missed everything.

Anyway… I've finally watched the rest of S2 and all of S3 up to date.
Not bad, not bad at all.

So… how is everyone doing?

I have no idea, It's Chrismas, I have to travel across the country to meet my Family, my leg feels like Death. And oh yeah…

…Bats came out of freaking nowhere during AJ's Episode, and now I barely remember the rest of it.

Other than that, I have no clue. There's only a few weeks before we have to panic about the possibility of Twilight Freaking Sparkle doing something that may or may not ruin the show forever.

Oh yeah, and I may or may not be on the moon. Celestia's boot is kinda Fickle today.

Here's a Bat for you:

W(0M0)W
_ \V/\V/_
__V_V_

Luna Protege wrote:

Just thought I'd bring that up… again!

Anyways: Finally Finished my Take 2 on "Children of Celestia". I'm Just overloading with anticipation of how much one of you will tear into this. Especially Fifths!

I can't Wait!

KYM Page

Very much improved!

The use of les dialogue and more visual elements helps to get your point across much more succinctly, and thus memorably. It's also a lot funnier because we can SEE what is so ridiculous about this kind of OC as opposed to having to be told it.

Also, you've given us a sense of time. Comics are an interesting visual art because they are supposed to give us a sense of progressing forward, and it is very important for artists to try and simulate a sense of time. You do this with the bottom left panel where the caracters are just watching the fighting, thus making the bet they make at the end funnier because we get a sense that it has come at the end of a brief wait, which is more amusing than if you just came out with it.

Last edited Dec 23, 2012 at 07:11PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!