Forums / Discussion / General

232,895 total conversations in 7,787 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

@ZeroBlue:
Ah, so it's been an eventful December I see!

@Trolls
Reading Lauren's responses to trolls makes me smile. She does an excellent job of turning them away without being offensive herself. Well done!

Oh, I see we were talking a bit about a certain season 1 episode a while back… Well, and I think I've said this before, I liked Feeling Pinkie Keen. Never had a problem with it, and didn't know anyone else did until I saw it mentioned online. Of course, I don't think I can truthfully say that I really dislike any episode. Some are certainly better than others, but they all have their moments.

For those of you who read spoilers but don't check Equestria Daily every 5 minutes like I do, apparently there's another extended episode synopsis up. Did they seriously call that episode "Keep Calm and Flutter On???" Once again, I am reminded (unnecessarily, I might add) why this show is awesome!

Of course Verbose would love Feeling Pinkie Keen, it reaffirms his commitment to religion because he cannot explain away the inconsistencies provided to it by modern science and therefore must take solace in a pretty pink party pony that defies logic in order to keep his own lack of logical thought out of his mind's eye.

tl;dr: Verbose likes shit episodes.

Verbose wrote:

Hey, here's a survey that you guys could take!

And it's better organized than the one I helped put together!

That was an interesting survey, but I have something to say about the MBTI Personality Test. It said I was an INTJ. The last time I took a personality test, I was an ISTJ. Only one letter off. To be fair, it did say that my intuition was only slightly greater than my sensing. Oh well, it was still a good survey.

@Feeling Pinkie Keen

I like that episode. If I could say something about the message, I just assumed it was "believe in your friends." Apparently, not everyone thought the same.

burning_phoneix wrote:

Of course Verbose would love Feeling Pinkie Keen, it reaffirms his commitment to religion because he cannot explain away the inconsistencies provided to it by modern science and therefore must take solace in a pretty pink party pony that defies logic in order to keep his own lack of logical thought out of his mind's eye.

tl;dr: Verbose likes shit episodes.

Art thou insulting ye bestest episode? Does ye not fear our mod powers?

Lone K. (Echoid) wrote:

1…2…3… done.

Oh yeah, I kinda called out to you, Verbose.

:T

I'm a little sore that EqD didn't give ours its own post. We do more complex analyses, and the main reason we "only" had 2,000 responses last time (4,000 this time,) is probably because of that.

But in hindsight, I'm not very happy with how it went. I'm to the point where I regret letting it go forward as it was. That's my own fault. But the data is still generally sound. I just have to find a computer with SPSS (statistical software) so I can run my analysis (I believe opspe can still run his, because he's still in graduate school with his own software.)

If I can't find one soon enough, then I'll just release the data we have and apologize for not being organized with my time.

But that aside, I'm glad you took it. The Brony Census is legit itself, and I think it's improved a lot from the last one (in fact, I think it may have borrowed from our questionnaire, which I'm certainly OK with. I'd never be able to prove it anyway.)

I also took The Brony Census survey Verbose linked, and I'm a bit peeved that I didn't get here early enough to take the Survey of the Brony Subculture while it was still available to take. Ah well, I'm still looking forward to the results, when they're ready for release.

So in an effort to drive traffic to my tumblr I sent that stained glass pic to EqD for the drawfriends, and I told them to use my blog as the source. The pic made it to the drawfriends of course, but they used my deviantart page as the source instead! I didn't even give them a link to my deviantart page!

ASS.
SLAPAGE.

RandomMan wrote:

Art thou insulting ye bestest episode? Does ye not fear our mod powers?

Pfft…
Silly mods, thinking that we're scared of you.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh crap! What have I done?!

@Brony Census
Just took it.
Seemed nice and simple except for the character ranking parts.
Trying to give a number out of 10 to describe 'how much I like seeing a character in an episode' was just… odd.
I can see what they were going for, but it just felt very weird because that's a much more conditional question than what can be handled by a multiple choice quiz.
For example, I loved seeing Twilight in Lesson Zero as she was vital to the plot and entertaining as hell.
I didn't really like seeing her in Stare Master as it was obvious that she was only included so that she could write the letter at the end.
I think it might be a little clearer to just ask 'How much do you like each character?' and rate that.
Even that has its problems but it feels like it would be slightly less… variable.

Just got my copy of Issue #2 of the comic today.
So awesome in just about every possible way!
The art style is distinct, but recognizable and fun, there are tons of amazing details put into the expressions and backgrounds that really give everything that extra pop, the dialogue is well-written and in-character, and it's just flat-out funny which is all I really wanted in the first place.
(Chrysalis' interactions with her 'prisoners' are gold!)
Can't wait for the next issue!

Scenes from the DHX Christmas Party:

What a fun place to work that must be.

Last edited Jan 07, 2013 at 09:18PM EST

I actually just put 10 on each of the Mane Six when the question about which characters do you like/dislike seeing in the show or whatever.

The census wasn't bad, but some of the questions were quite hard to choose with.
(How the hell do you use a 1-8 value score with only one character for each numeral? What does that even work for?)

On a side note, I should start calling Studio B as their name now, being which is DHX Media.

Fml for calling them the wrong name for a long time.

@Comic
Hm I still don't have a copy as well, but this should change in a week or so, when the new batch arrives here. The comic just sells extremley well and is out of stock in you know how much seconds flat.
There are a couple of old hands who are rubbing their eyes due to the success of the comic. IDW has announced a fourth printing of the first issue for february. I have heard that IDW has never reached those numbers before, so Pony still manages to surpise people big time.

thatdancinglugia wrote:

guys…..check the main galleries.

something is…..off.

You should totally PM a moderator about that. Most users here don't have powers to delete or spoiler the images.

Besides, I don't see anything wrong with the MLP galleries. Can you be more specific?

thatdancinglugia wrote:

guys…..check the main galleries.

something is…..off.

You mean that IWTCIRD is the top gallery? Yeah, it happens on occasion. Someone might just be running a script to make the views shoot up. It's not really a big deal, and it almost never lasts longer than a day.

Sonata Dusk wrote:

You mean that IWTCIRD is the top gallery? Yeah, it happens on occasion. Someone might just be running a script to make the views shoot up. It's not really a big deal, and it almost never lasts longer than a day.

Reported to the staff and should be fixed now.

Well, I am lost on this thread (except for the survey, I'll have you know I filled it out broski) so I'll make my own Sub-Topic. Who is best poni?

I think it's Rainbow Dash Applejack Twilight Sparkle Rarity Fluttershy Pinkie Pie

Okay, correct answer is ALL PONY ARE BEST PONY

Sorry if I don't post as often, and about that over dramatic thing on my profile (I am not going to sugarcoat it)

Anyway, just gonna post here, see what I can contribute to:

I may fill out Verb's survey, but yet again, I might not. Hope you aren't counting on me to.

@Derpy's 'removal'

Drop it like bass

I like the points being made up about her not being "dead". What it really is to me about all these theories are outside trolling, or inner-fanbase members trying to create panic and make it seem like we're being rejected and are going to collapse

In all reality, that's probably not going to happen yet. We are still running strong. If we aren't as "golden" as we were before, it probably is because we're not as new anymore. But that doesn't mean collapse. That means we're earning a place in history, no matter how significant (and at that, still running strong!)

@Lauren Faust

That is a way to handle trolls, my friends

Calmness, reason, and perfect counters. She didn't blow up or do anything to antagonize. Instead, the respect won the battle.

Good job, Mrs. Faust, good job.

Now, two decision questions! :

1. If Equestria was faced with picking a side in our Earth's Cold War, which side would they choose and why do you think so?

2. If one of the characters (any character) were to lead an insurrection/rebellion/revolution against the current regime in Equestria, who would it be, and what kind of government would you think they'd establish?

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 08:40PM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

I actually think that the title "I want to cum inside Rainbow Dash" is simply, irresistibly intriguing for everyone who visits the site. As soon as it appears on the trending bar, everyone rushes in to:

A. Freshly discover the curiously titled entry and immediately post their shocked and horrified reaction to it
B. Find out who just got shocked and horrified by it, then laugh

Thus the article and it's gallery shoot up in views for a while, then dies down once the kids calm down about it and the adults resume ignoring it. This process repeats every time some new guy finds the article for the first time and assumes it is brand new. I find that scanario more likely than script usage. Also the recent un-deadpooling gave it a fresh batch of attention too.

Lets admit it, every time you see it on the trending bar, you click it, down you?

@Verboses Survey

Done. And apparently I am an INTJ. I think I got that the last time I took one of those tests.

I was a little disappointed that "Episode theory and discussion" wasn't in the list of Brony activities. If that was there then maybe I wouldn't look like such a hopeless example of a Brony

Everything else…Fanfics? Rarely…Art? Rarely…PMV's? Rarely…charity donations? None…Cosplay? Never…cons, meetups attended? None…

…I don't even brony…

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 10:46PM EST
I may fill out Verb’s survey, but yet again, I might not. Hope you aren’t counting on me to.

I don't think you understood, Fett. That's not my survey. It's actually the Brony Census one. I'm not likely to run another survey unless I have full control over it. But it is somewhat lengthy, and I don't think they'll be lacking respondents.

Favorite pony? Best Pony?

I'd say Twilight is Best Pony. Considering her ability and generally balanced nature (with a tendency to sweat the small stuff,) I think she's overall better than the rest of the Mane Six. I'd say Applejack and Rarity might be a close second and third. Rarity and AJ both are driven characters. Applejack is the most well-rounded and could probably find a way to handle most sitations, but running a boutique with celebrity clientele indicates a self-motivated person should they decide to apply themselves.

Twilight, however, is smart and powerful. Like, really powerful. She's already figured out a ton of Equestria-threatening situations, and she's got the ability to handle the most direct obstacles (i.e., magic the shiz out of it.) There is no one except for maybe Rainbow Dash that could do anything with that Cerberus. And I don't want Rainbow Dash heading up much of anything. Way too rash.

Now if you're asking favorite pony, then you might be a bit surprised. I'm not really feeling Twilight Sparkle as much as I used to, and I probably couldn't say that she's my favorite anymore (although I'll still claim she is.)

My favorite would be either Applejack or Rarity. Applejack just seems way too cool for me to not like her a lot. And I find her Western, traditional mien to be endearing.

Rarity is quite the opposite, but I'd kinda like to have a friend like her. In fact, I guess I sorta do. I have a friend who has gotten me some rather expensive gifts because she was just that generous. She's also very fashionable and quick-witted. Annnnd both tend to find or make their own drama.

In any case, I've always liked people like that, even though I despise unnecessary conflict (although I can't say I shy away from it.) I "clean up" well, but I'd much rather be casual. And I'm usually too quiet to use any wit I have.

But I do respect those who care about their appearance and can do so regularly. There's a certain level of base respect for those with which you interact, and I think putting time into your clothes is a symbolic way of showing respect for your acquaintances, friends, and even yourself.

Fluttershy is cute, but I mostly just enjoy fanart of her.

She can get somewhere otherwise.

Last edited Jan 08, 2013 at 10:26PM EST

Favorite pony?

<div class=spoiler title="If I have to…">

<div class=spoiler title="Click to reveal the secret!">

Artist's rendering of anyone wh hasn't figured it out by now:

<div class=spoiler title="Who is it?!">

IT'S MUDDA-FUDGIN' SCOOTALOO ALL UP IN YO' GRILL!

So yeah…
I like Scootaloo.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 12:43AM EST

Pardon to inject, but I just wanted to note that according to the image gallery, these sort of images are on the rise:

I've been seeing these "convulsion gifs" for a while now. They have been around since the first still image of an ecstatic ponu. And now there are more and more covering every single shot of an excited pony possible. We've got a clear sub-meme lurking around here. Whats the deal with all these things? Do we have any notes on them?

@BSOD

lol yeah, I love those

looks like they're tagged as vibrating on derpibooru. I'm not aware of any other sites they have a substantial presence on or where they're from though.

@best pony answers that aren't Pinkie Pie

Lalalalalalalalalala can't hear you

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 04:29AM EST

Please stop vibrating… It's Disrespectful for our neighbors in Japan who had an earthquake or something not long ago.

…Then again, they are always having earthquakes.

As for How I know they had an earthquake… I watched Japanese News, we get that over here on a semi government sponsored channel. And I specifically remember hearing their word for earthquake, as well as seeing their buildings shaking.

P.S. Not able to find Pony Meme about earthquakes, but you guys are doing a "Bang up job" doing it for me.

(Wonder which country I had to steal the phrase "Bang up Job" from to make that point…)

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 05:37AM EST

@Favourite pone
Long time ago (about half a year ago) I didn't think there could be a best pony and I wouldn't participate in any of those "rank a pony" games. Except ranking random red right at the bottom, because she is often times quite annoying and over the top. I do like those episodes, that give her depth and focus more on her inner conflict, but usually she is shoehorned in scenes for a gag and comic relief. She becomes more of a tool than a believable character in most episodes.

Source: How do ponies work

She is the most cartoonish character in general and does a lot of classic cartoon gags. Certainly, she is also needed for the kids, I watched pony with my niece at christmas (bought a set of pony dvds for her^^) and she just loved all of pinkies shenanigans. This reminded me somehow that I am just a guy who is some kind of free rider on this pony trip. It was really fascinating to see what kind of emotions ponies provoke and how the show works you know for the target audience.

So this made me appreciate Pinkie a bit more, but I just would love to see more of the torn in between Pinkie. Well in the end, I still don't see her up among those top pones.

@Blue Screen, Iamslow & Exudes

I'm pretty sure they were around before pony variations. If I would have to place a random guess, it's one of the following two. I know that Homestuck also commonly makes use of vibrating sections in updates. Bronies most likely just adapted them. I will have to research them a bit more first to give a clear answer though.

R U FEELIN' IT?

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 07:59AM EST

So, What have we learned recently on this thread?

→Expect any questions on Tumblr and you get nothing.
→Vibrating Ponies Show up suddenly during an Earthquake.
→I hate Sunlight
→Debates over "Best Pony" continue.
→No episode for another week.
→Christmas is a good way to catch a panic attack when your patron Ponies include Rainbow Dash, Luna, Bat Ponies, Vinyl Scratch and Scootaloo.
→Derpy is Not Dead.
→Apparently people don't get repeated hints to visit a Tumblr and ask stuff when someone is too proud to ask it outright for fear of seeming like Trixie…
→Bat Ponies are Rare in this Fandom.
→Lauren Faust is afraid to watch her own show… for justifiably painful reasons.
→Scootaloo Chicken jokes continue.
→ Meghan MCarthy Makes Tweets,

She made a little factoid about an upcoming episode and that it's inspired by Faulty Towers Episode. Check the accuracy of that for yourself.

→IWTCIRBD is a thing that pops up occasionally because of mass internet insanity.
→Applejack is still yet to go Bat Flipping insane; preferably to the point of literally flipping something… Like a Table…
→BATS!!! GLORIOUS BATS!!!! MADE OF FRUIT!!!!!
Ask SBURB Ponies is a thing I made that nobody pays attention to…
→I can shame myself for being so flighty somehow during moments where others are hating corporate practices for doing logical Business decisions that benefits all to some limited degree.
→This is a big List
→Japan had an Earthquake.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 07:59AM EST

I have no interest in bat ponies or Homestuck (actually, hearing about them a lot from you doesn't help, honestly,) and I don't want to give you a question that doesn't come from genuine interest.

You may have to do some propagating, ZeroBlue. Go to derpibooru, and upload some of your best images with a link to your tumblr.

If people see it, then they can determine if they like it. If they like it, then they will come.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 08:27AM EST

Site Rules

No flooding or spamming. Flooding, defined as repeated posting of redundant threads, and spamming, defined as posting of any advertisement or promotional materials, are strictly prohibited.

We don't mind a few times for site regulars, but there is no need to do it in every post you make Zero, let alone multiple times in one.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 08:35AM EST

Verbose Wrote:

I have no interest in bat ponies or Homestuck (actually, hearing about them a lot from you doesn’t help, honestly,) and I don’t want to give you a question that doesn’t come from genuine interest.

You may have to do some propagating, ZeroBlue. Go to derpibooru, and upload some of your best images with a link to your tumblr.

If people see it, then they can determine if they like it. If they like it, then they will come.

Maybe I'll go do that…

@RandomMan

Sorry… I'm not always…Mindful of whether I'm breaking the rules or not… Feel free to delete the post in question, and any others I made like it… Most of my posts are an embarrassment anyways.

I'll just… sit in the Dark corner for a while…

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 09:18AM EST

I noticed that MLP: Fighting is Magic is one of 16 games that has a chance of being at EVO 2013 along with Skullgirls, CVS2, Divekick, PSASBR and many others. I was wondering… is this a good idea? As much as I'd like for Fighting is Magic to be at a big time event like this, I'm not sure if Mane 6 six could complete the game by then. The initial roster is only 6 characters at the moment, so I'm not sure if that'll hype the FGC.

If by some miracle the game is finished before EVO and is actually chosen, then that means more goodness in our future.

So yeah, do you guys think this is a good idea?

I think that might be enough, ZeroBlue. I feel as if Derpibooru might think you're spamming your own art if you upload too much all at once. Your five on there now should suffice.

As for the current scores…I hope they don't get caught up in negakrama spirals.

MLP would have been banned if it were on Nickelodeon.

Here's my reasoning:
Invader Zim was banned on Nickelodeon after 1 season. They said it themselves, the only reason they banned it is because it attracted 14-18 year olds instead of 9-12 year olds. So, what would happen if MLP was on Nick?

Just a thought I wanted to share with you guys.

­ wrote:

Here's my reasoning:
Invader Zim was banned on Nickelodeon after 1 season. They said it themselves, the only reason they banned it is because it attracted 14-18 year olds instead of 9-12 year olds. So, what would happen if MLP was on Nick?

Pretty sure FIM's situation is different than Zim's because there's no shortage of little kids who like FIM.

@randomman

Hah, forgot all about that dolphin one. Thanks for clearing that up.

And yes I'm feelin it

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 01:36PM EST

As you have been talking about memes:

What do you think about this exploitable? It spreads like crazy right now…

And another one: I haven't seen an entry about pregnant characters yet. It's actually like Rule 63 and there is some sort of pregnant art for almost every character.

> official Ben 10 sticker.
> OFFICIAL
Somebody used fanart for these, which is just hilarious, stupid and major wat.

And last meme for today: OBEY posters

I have seen Banksy's "Exit through the gift shop" recently, which is a documentation about street art directed by the infamous banksy. Actually a really good movie, which is worth a watch. So there was a small segment about the obey poster and well I haven't seen the posters on the street, but I am sure that you all know for instance the Celestia obey poster:

In the end they all originate from those old streetart paintings made by the same guy who has done the Obama HOPE poster.

Hm so what do you think?

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 03:07PM EST

­ wrote:

Here's my reasoning:

Ummm, Invader Zim lasted 3 seasons before it was cancelled at the end of it's full first-run syndication. Nickelodeon still airs reruns on a regular basis on their cartoon specific channel "Nicktoons", including several full-season marathons every year.

It was cancelled for multiple reasons, most of which the fact that it relied heavily on shock value to be entertaining. The kids lost interest, the parents complained and and it ended gracefully at the end of it's syndication. Taking off my nostalgia goggles I can safely say it did deserve to be cancelled, they'd practically run out of ideas by the end of the first season and things where just getting weird.

It wasn't 'banned', Nick has never 'banned' one of their shows as far as I'm aware, whatever that's supposed to mean.

In contrast, FiM has been going for almost exactly as long as Invader Zim and the quality is still riding high. It does have a disproportionately sized adult fanbase like Zim, but the younger audience is still being engaged and it's not nearly as controversial an IP as Zim. We've gotten all but an official confirmation season 4 is in the works, and the ratings are almost single handedly pushing the Hub network up to the level of other, much older networks.

If there's a show on the Hub that should be compared to Invader Zim, without a doubt it's Dan VS. It's a dark, edgy, occasionally violent cartoon that looks like it should be airing on Adult Swim instead of a kids network. The key difference between Zim and Dan is that while Zim's humor is basically just a conveyor belt of random set pieces and bizarre one-liners, Dan's humor is snarky, satirical and usually freakin' hilarious… as long as they're not ripping off Phineas and Ferb with their stupid secret agent subplot.

Whitishcollar wrote:

As you have been talking about memes:

What do you think about this exploitable? It spreads like crazy right now…

And another one: I haven't seen an entry about pregnant characters yet. It's actually like Rule 63 and there is some sort of pregnant art for almost every character.

> official Ben 10 sticker.
> OFFICIAL
Somebody used fanart for these, which is just hilarious, stupid and major wat.

And last meme for today: OBEY posters

I have seen Banksy's "Exit through the gift shop" recently, which is a documentation about street art directed by the infamous banksy. Actually a really good movie, which is worth a watch. So there was a small segment about the obey poster and well I haven't seen the posters on the street, but I am sure that you all know for instance the Celestia obey poster:

In the end they all originate from those old streetart paintings made by the same guy who has done the Obama HOPE poster.

Hm so what do you think?

Sorry about -1 Karma'ing, but that top exploitable doesn't really have anything to do with ponies.

­ wrote:

Sorry about -1 Karma'ing, but that top exploitable doesn't really have anything to do with ponies.

Hmmph. I really don’t see that as a means of justification for downvoting Whitishcollar’s post. I mean, from what I’ve seen, things not explicitly related to ponies surface quite often in this thread. So I put the post back at neutral karma.

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 04:10PM EST

Whitishcollar wrote:

Hm so what do you think?

Pony variations =/= Pony meme. None of those examples are MLP memes, they just happen to have MLP variations. These questions are better of in Meme Research.

As for what you asked, I don't know about the first two. The exploitable might be something, but I have to dig up some more info first. Pregnancy art is not something to call a meme, it's just an artstyle based on the simple concept of procreation.

As for Obey, those would go under X Has A Posse. The entry could do with some work, but it's there at least.

Well, as far as who is my favorite pony?
That's a secret, and none of you will ever figure it out.

As for who is BEST pony?

I mean, come on, can you think of a more powerful (yet still somewhat untrained) unicorn?

Best pony right here

EDIT:

A page git! I should say something! Uh, come on db, think of something to say…

APPLEJACK IS BETTER THAN RARITY!!!

Last edited Jan 09, 2013 at 10:34PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!