Forums / Discussion / General

169,957 total conversations in 5,441 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

Sigh, people leaving the Brony fandom because Twilight is gaining wings is just as bad people leaving the Devil May Cry fandom because Dante has black hair instead of white hair.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:00PM EST
Quote

chowzburgerz wrote:

Sigh, people leaving the Brony fandom because Twilight is gaining wings is just as bad people leaving the Devil May Cry fandom because Dante has black hair instead of white hair.

I made this for you guys

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:06PM EST
Quote

Haha, reminds me of that Spongebob picture that appeared in the gallery a few days ago.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:11PM EST
Quote

Am i the only one experiencing fridge horror over the fact that Twilight was looking up and also KNEW about ‘reforming spells’. Stuff that would FORCE someone to act up to societies code?

As for the episode itself i liked it, i feel it would’ve been better as a two parter to mroe gradually introduce the reformed discord angle, but given a 22 minute time slot they did it very well. Heck its probably one of my tops for the season, maybe even the of the series itself.

But yeah that fridge horror, shudder.

Edit: Oh yeah i just wanted to add that one reason i love this episode so much is that none of the ponies acted in a terribly predictable or stupid manner. They were all rather savvy of their situation and prepared to do whatever it took. Namely Rainbow Dash constantly calling Discord on his shinnanigens, love that kinda stuff when presented with them as characters, makes em feel alot more real.

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 07:46PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 07:21PM EST
Quote

Mr Tutorial wrote:

Am i the only one experiencing fridge horror over the fact that Twilight was looking up and also KNEW about ‘reforming spells’. Stuff that would FORCE someone to act up to societies code?

As for the episode itself i liked it, i feel it would’ve been better as a two parter to mroe gradually introduce the reformed discord angle, but given a 22 minute time slot they did it very well. Heck its probably one of my tops for the season, maybe even the of the series itself.

But yeah that fridge horror, shudder.

Edit: Oh yeah i just wanted to add that one reason i love this episode so much is that none of the ponies acted in a terribly predictable or stupid manner. They were all rather savvy of their situation and prepared to do whatever it took. Namely Rainbow Dash constantly calling Discord on his shinnanigens, love that kinda stuff when presented with them as characters, makes em feel alot more real.

That is creepy. Kinda explains what they do with non-Godlike criminals.

Jan 19, 2013 at 07:27PM EST
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Well that episode kicked copious amounts of ass, I guess Polsky can write some pretty good stuff from time to time. But then, as we all know his specialty is visual gags so I guess him and Discord make a perfect fit. The best way I could put it is that it didn’t have any problems that “Magic Duel” did not. Except this time it’s about Discord, so it’s instantly 67% more awesome.

Also, most everyone’s fanon escaped intact for once. I didn’t have really much of an issue with the ending, aside from the obvious limitations of a single episode ark. It’s not like Discord pulled a complete 180 and started spreading joy and love throughout equestria. He was never a one dimensional “Evil” villain like King Sombrero, his motivation isn’t simply the misery of others. One could assume a lot of his more villainous actions stemmed from his belief that nobody would ever see things from his perspective so it’s better he just enforce it on others. So when someone takes the time to actually treat him with respect, it catches him off guard and makes him rethink his view of the world.

Sure he’s working for Celestia now, but reluctantly, and that’s really the best way they could have handled this premise.

In short, that’s definitely my personal favorite episode all season. Not the best in terms of writing/pacing/story, that would probably be “Sleepless in Ponyville”, but it’s filled with too much win to be written off.

Now it’s time to face the oncoming tidal wave of Tumblr content.

Also:

I wonder how desperately the writers wanted to snuff that rumor before today.

Fantastic recap, I daresay.


Mr Tutorial wrote:

Am i the only one experiencing fridge horror over the fact that Twilight was looking up and also KNEW about ‘reforming spells’. Stuff that would FORCE someone to act up to societies code?

As for the episode itself i liked it, i feel it would’ve been better as a two parter to mroe gradually introduce the reformed discord angle, but given a 22 minute time slot they did it very well. Heck its probably one of my tops for the season, maybe even the of the series itself.

But yeah that fridge horror, shudder.

I agree, I was wondering about that. So, it’s basically another variety of spell akin to the “Want It, Need It” one. Mind control magic seems to keep popping up, doesn’t it?


As for my own thoughts on the episode, I loved it, but a full review may take a while, please excuse me…

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 07:34PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 07:30PM EST
Quote

My turn!

I definitely liked it, but I’m going to agree with everyone else and say that the only real issue was a lack of time.
Discord was suitably antagonistic and manipulative and having him turn on Fluttershy when she took off her element was a perfect example of how I love to see him work.
We just didn’t get enough build-up to their friendship to make it seem strong enough to cause such a shift in Discord.
Had it been a two-parter or something we could have seen their relationship really grow and change in a more satisfying way.
But overall, excellent episode.

Speculation time:
So, this is probably just a symptom of the time constraints rather than an actual plot point, but I kind of got the feeling that nothing Discord did in the entire episode was sincere.
Obviously, his near-betrayal on the ice showed that everything up to that point had been phony, but I’m thinking that even his ‘reformation’ was too.
It was too abrupt a shift in his demeanor.
What if the events of this episode were all just a carefully orchestrated ruse to get the ponies to let their guards down?
Discord said that he could hear them when in stone (by the way, that’s some major fridge horror there), so perhaps he intended to use the situation to fake a redemption and gain his freedom.
Everything went according to plan…

That ‘most of the time’ line really makes it clear that he has no intent of being good all the time.

Again, just like with the Crystal Empire episodes, it really feels like there is something going on under the surface here.
We will just have to wait to see if that is in fact true, or if we are just reading too far into the show and seeing things that aren’t there.
Should be fun!

And remember:

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 07:59PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 07:56PM EST
Quote

@Deadparrot.

Ah geez i didn’t even think about the fact he was aware when stoned! So much fridge horror so little time!

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:04PM EST
Quote

Mr Tutorial wrote:

@Deadparrot.

Ah geez i didn’t even think about the fact he was aware when stoned! So much fridge horror so little time!

>stoned

Damn, he must just be getting a buzz, nothing more.

(Don’t ask how I know what a “buzz” is. I know what you mean.)


Well, that was a good episode.

It was adorable, sometimes made me cringe on an aspect, happy, sad, amused, enraged…

I’m serious. I didn’t even know what my feelings were doing at all.

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 08:21PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 08:11PM EST
Quote

Guys real talk?

…I have the same opinion as everyone else. Great episode that just needed more time. John DeLancie did a great job, even better than I felt he did in Breaking Bad. Weird comparison, but still.

As for that line he delivered, it made me smile, as did Discord’s antics throughout the episode. Something I really needed after 8 hours of Driver’s Ed.

One of the best episodes of season 3.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:27PM EST
Quote

Jyron Stone wrote:

You’re both wrong. She clearly wanted to have another romantic fling with him.

Discord wasn’t worried he would lose a friend, he was worried he would lose a friend with benefits.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:33PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Discord wasn’t worried he would lose a friend, he was worried he would lose a friend with benefits.

Jan 19, 2013 at 08:43PM EST
Quote

Guys, I seriously loved this episode. I really think they did a fantastic job keeping real to the characters, and the jokes were fantastic as well. Seriously, I teared up a bit at a couple times.

See, I really like the idea that Discord could be reformed through friendship. It gives light to the idea that he was unapproachable as he is, and therefore found solace through power. This speaks volumes to me.

In regards to the idea that teaching children that some people are just mean and will be so, I can’t agree with that at all. Yes, there are people who are like that, but to make that kind of assertion in a young child’s life is cynical, and could keep them from trying. Believe me, not everyone who deserves a chance gets one, and teaching kids to assume that people are just going to be mean and terrible no matter what you do is not a lesson I think should be taught.

Oh, and which line was it that he said perfectly? There were a couple I heard that I thought could be it, but I wasn’t sure.

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 10:19PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:17PM EST
Quote

@Episode

First of all, move over PinkiexDiscord! Fluttercord is the new ship in town!

Secondly that was a fun episode. Discords character is what got me into the series and seeing it again was a joy. Even if he’s not a total villain this time, I can accept the possibility that he was never 100% pure evil to begin with. Chaotic, selfish and irresponsible yes, but not downright hateful and murderous like Nightmare Moon or King Sombre.

The underlying message of the show is that even enemies can be understood and respected just by getting to know them. The show could have also given the message that some people never change but the former is important for kids to learn as well.

Also note the lesson the show gave about giving people a chance to understand.

Besides I don’t think Discord actually changed, he’s still the spirit of chaos. He just grew to respect the ponies a little more and that made all the difference just as it can in real life. Personalities don’t change, but empathy can.

Lastly, I really love how Fluttershy has developed over the series and you can see it in this episode. Is it me or is she more confident and esteemed than she used to be?

Last edited Jan 19, 2013 at 11:07PM EST
Jan 19, 2013 at 11:05PM EST
Quote

Derpy Vazquez wrote:

No kidding, that was some scary stuff there. Glad it was taken care of, in a little unorthodox way though.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:25PM EST
Quote

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t watching the same episode as you guys.

I already said, but not only did I not like it, but I actually disliked it. I wonder if I wasn’t paying attention or something. It would make more sense if I wasn’t loving it or if everyone else thought it was OK or pretty good, but outside of the episode needing more time, I think everyone loved it.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:17AM EST

@Verbose:

Well, maybe you’re just stupid!

But, really, people hold different opinions over different episodes. Which is why I think Luna Eclipsed isn’t all that amazing, Wonderbolt Academy was the worst of the show, and Mare-Do-Well was fairly solid. Also why you adore Feeling Pinkie Keen despite it being somewhat unpopular in some circles.

That said, I admit this episode was very badly paced. I think that they should have focused a tad bit less on Discord causing havoc in favor of giving him more time to reform near the end. However, they played it off well by implying that Discord wasn’t entirely honest, and that the ponies aren’t trusting him completely.

I personally liked the episode because it paired Fluttershy’s d’aw with Discord’s lawl, which are two things I enjoyed on my own. And the few parts the other ponies were in were somewhat entertaining (Not the dress. NOT THE DRESS!)

This is far too reasonable of a statement, however, so I shall resort to my initial tactic.

VERBOSE IS A PHAGET! HE DOESN’T EVEN LIFT!

#SWAG

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:34AM EST
Quote

Explosive Lasers wrote:

I forgot to acknowledge the fact that you actually got a job, you stinking hippy. You’re pretty talented at animation, so chances are you won’t fuck it up, too.

Anyways, there was an episode.

What did I think? It wasn’t bad; it was more or less what I was expecting going into it. The dinner party scene was actually pretty funny, and I thought the ice skating climax was well played, well played indeed, but I can’t help but feel like, as a whole, it was a bit lackluster. There definitely needed to be more time for Discord to come to terms with “friendship,” as opposed to him suddenly realizing Fluttershy is his friend when she declares him to be so (oh hell, I’ll make a comparison to all those ship fics when a character suddenly realizes they’re gay when Rainbow Dash comes out to them). I was also a bit dissatisfied with the ending; its abruptness put Wonderbolt Academy to shame, and didn’t really wrap up in any way. I’d like to see where Discord goes, what he does, exactly how he plans to use his magic for good. Really, this episode needed to be a two-parter. Yes, there are all sorts of constraints on the studio and they can’t really work a two-parter into a thirteen (check my facts, I forget how many, but the fortune cookie said thirteen is my lucky number today) episode season, but the fact is that the story was pretty grand in scope, and definitely needed more time as to not feel so darned rushed.

Last edited Jan 20, 2013 at 01:21AM EST
Jan 20, 2013 at 01:07AM EST
Quote

Teh Brawler wrote:

Oh, and which line was it that he said perfectly? There were a couple I heard that I thought could be it, but I wasn’t sure.

I’m pretty sure it was the “Friendshipismagic” line we heard near the end, though I can’t say for sure.


Blue Screen (of death) wrote:

Secondly that was a fun episode. Discords character is what got me into the series and seeing it again was a joy. Even if he’s not a total villain this time, I can accept the possibility that he was never 100% pure evil to begin with. Chaotic, selfish and irresponsible yes, but not downright hateful and murderous like Nightmare Moon or King Sombre.

The only real “evil” major antagonist I feel I’ve seen so far in the series is Sombra. Nightmare Moon did her best just to dissuade ponies from attacking her, and never really went all out. Discord has a slight case of Blue and Orange Morality, and just seems evil because he’s a narcissist. Chrysalis could probably have found a perfectly willing amount of love in other places, but she wanted the big prize of Canterlot. Sombra liked stairs, crystals, and enslaving ponies. His lack of a speaking role pretty much removed any sort of personality redemption he might have had.


Verbose wrote:

I’m pretty sure I wasn’t watching the same episode as you guys.

I already said, but not only did I not like it, but I actually disliked it. I wonder if I wasn’t paying attention or something. It would make more sense if I wasn’t loving it or if everyone else thought it was OK or pretty good, but outside of the episode needing more time, I think everyone loved it.

It was okay, to me. I woke up late this morning, and my first thought was “Fuck! I missed ponies.” I heard from others that it was a little lackluster, so I didn’t go into watching it later with high hopes. Maybe the difference is what we all expected from it?

I will reiterate though: this episode did need to be a two parter. Discord doesn’t seem the type to be cowed so easily to me.





For those of you who don’t check Equestria Daily or Derpy Hooves News, the Doctor Whooves and Fluttershy Funko toys are out for preorder at Hot Topic now. Seems they’re doing some sort of sparkly translucent version for 1/24 of the orders. I’m kind of hoping to receive a regular version, myself.

yayWibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... Stuff

Equestria Daily has some discount codes up ($15 off of $30, $30 off of $60, so on) if you want to use them (why wouldn’t you?)

Last edited Jan 20, 2013 at 01:47AM EST
Jan 20, 2013 at 01:42AM EST
Quote

Well… The episode wasn’t really that bad. I was really afraid that they would screw it up, since I felt like the first Discord episode was one of, if not the, best. They did a really good job on it. I do feel like the writers have been trying to force Yellowquiet haters to like her this season, and this episode was possibly the most obvious of all of them. While it did work a bit, I don’t appreciate that they’re trying to force her a bit more than anyone else.

The ending was waaaay too forced and Anvilicious, though. I was about to be like “DISCORD, WHY DO YOU GIVE A F***?” It just didn’t seem like him at all. Otherwise, it was pretty good.


@Funkos: I’m going to take a chance and ask my parents for a Fluttershy figure preorder for my birthday (they come out two weeks after my birthday, and yes, my parents know I’m a brony). I really hope I get a solid-color one, though. The translucents weird me out.

Jan 20, 2013 at 02:35AM EST
Quote

Pitching a 2 parter is nearly impossible, they can only really pull it off for season premiers/finales, which are already primarily focused on showcasing something Hasbro can sell toys of. (IE: Wedding Ponies, Chrystal Ponies, Alicorn Twili-shot) So a story featuring a returning antagonist getting their “redemption” couldn’t really get green lit as a 2 parter.

So yes, there where parts that could have used a lot more screen time, but considering they’re trying to work a fairly complex character ark inside of 22 minutes I’d say they did a pretty damn good job. Certainly better then Trixie’s heel-turn and pretty insincere sounding ‘goodguyification’ in magic duel.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:21AM EST
Quote

Fluttershy: The Ultimate Weapon Against Evil

Bigger at SOURCE


@Verbose
No episode can be universally liked by everyone, and everyone here has fully acknowledged that this one has some serious flaws.
Overall, it just seems that most of us were able to get past them for one reason or another and enjoy the episode anyway.
If you can’t, no problemo.
I had a similar feeling when lots of people were praising Wonderbolts Academy.


@CrazyC
Oh cool, they are doing pre-orders this time.
Much better than their first run with Derpy and RD that sold out in seconds and took months to restock.
Now everyone who wants one should be able to get one on release day.
Yay, ponies for all!
I’m in the same boat of wanting the solid colored versions too, though.
The main reason I like these things is their accuracy to the show models.
Making them randomly translucent takes away from that, even if it might make them more collectable.
(Note: The RD and Derpy figures are back in stock too, so you can still order a full set if you want to.)


@Twilit
I said it up above, too, but that’s part of why I feel that Discord’s redemption may not have been sincere.
From the events presented in the episode, his motivation for changing seemed rather weak, so I can’t help but think that he might be faking it for his own ends.
Most likely this is just my brain trying to rationalize the episode’s lack of development (due to time constraints) into an actual intentional story element, but I still say that it is at least plausible.
If there’s one character that you don’t want to try to predict, it’s Discord.


Fun stuff:
So I’m sure everyone noticed Discord’s repeated physical abuse of Angel, but ho many of you saw the more subtle psychological abuse?

Those freaking slippers!
I only saw it on my second viewing and I laughed my ass off!
That is seriously twisted, Discord.

Tabitha St. Germaine may also have won the award for “Best Credit Ever”

There’s a role to add to her resume!
She’s mentioned a few times how much she loves ‘voicing’ for characters and objects that don’t actually speak (She loved playing Philomena, for example), so I’m thinking that giving her that credit was an intentional little in-joke for her.
Obviously, in any other show, that would never be written up like that.
Keep being awesome, Tabitha.

Last edited Jan 20, 2013 at 04:24AM EST
Jan 20, 2013 at 04:23AM EST
Quote

Mr Tutorial wrote:

Am i the only one experiencing fridge horror over the fact that Twilight was looking up and also KNEW about ‘reforming spells’. Stuff that would FORCE someone to act up to societies code?

As for the episode itself i liked it, i feel it would’ve been better as a two parter to mroe gradually introduce the reformed discord angle, but given a 22 minute time slot they did it very well. Heck its probably one of my tops for the season, maybe even the of the series itself.

But yeah that fridge horror, shudder.

Edit: Oh yeah i just wanted to add that one reason i love this episode so much is that none of the ponies acted in a terribly predictable or stupid manner. They were all rather savvy of their situation and prepared to do whatever it took. Namely Rainbow Dash constantly calling Discord on his shinnanigens, love that kinda stuff when presented with them as characters, makes em feel alot more real.

Dat Fridge horror….


As for my opinions of the episode, I really can’t say anything more than what everyone has already said: I really liked it but the short 22 minute runtime made it feel rushed.

This isn’t the first time I’ve complained about this. A lot of episodes suffer from “rushed ending syndrome”. Ironically, one of them is the previous discord episodes! Return of Harmony, despite being a two parter, had a rushed ending. The guys really need to brush up on their time management skills.

But it had a couple things I liked:

  1. More Angel. He’s an underrated part of this episode. The interaction between him and Discord is funnier than the interaction between Discord and Fluttershy
  1. More Celestia. I’m a self confessed Luna Whoreshipper but I do like Celestia as well….you know, she needs her own episode. It kinda feels like she’s the true background pony, not Applejack.

Does anyone else feel a Celestia episode would be incredible?

  1. I generally like silly episodes more than serious ones and this turned a serious subject to something funny.

I have something for you guys….did you notice a new writer for the episode? Teddy Antonio?

According to a commentator on Equestria Daily claiming to be Antonio….he’s a 15 year old brony that somehow got to write an episode because his parents are friends with Linda Steiner, a senior director at Hasbro.

He claims that his parents are Tedd and Patsy Anasti, two writers that do indeed have iMDB pages that check out.

Now, I would call this whole thin bullshit if he didn’t correctly predict his name appearing in the opening credits…..3 weeks before the episode aired.

Something is definitely up, otherwise this is a massive case of nepotism.

You can find all his comments on EqD here:

http://intensedebate.com/people/TeddyAntonio/


@Verbose:

YOUR TASTE IS SHIT IN EPISODES! FACE IT! ONLY I AM TRULY WORTHY OF BEING TL;DR KING OF PONU GENERAL!

In all seriousness, I’ve been browsing a LOT of pony forums and I’ve noticed this:

There is absolutely no consensus on which episodes/seasons are good within the community. Even the most reviled episodes seem to have their staunch supporters and even the most well received episodes have their intense detractors. It’s quite interesting.

It reminds me a lot of this whole “who is best pony debate”. which every pleb knows is Applejack BTW

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:18AM EST
Quote

NEWS TIME!


The Brony Documentary has been officially released!
Here’s the EQD post with a link to get it as well as some information about future plans: LINK
Based on my previous attempts to bring it up, I’m not sure if anyone here is really interested, but I’m glad to talk about it with anyone that wants to.


Season 3 Episode 13
Magical Mystery Cure
Aired Date: February 16, 2013
Synopsis: When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic.

I think it’s safe to say that I didn’t see that coming.
Rewriting destinies and creating spells?
Twilight is getting crazy!

Now whether this implies the whole alicorn thing isn’t entirely clear, but remember we have M.A. Larson writing here.
I’m not exactly worried.
He seems cool.

We’re in the home stretch here, people.
Let’s do this!

Last edited Jan 20, 2013 at 06:44AM EST
Jan 20, 2013 at 06:39AM EST
Quote

Okay, just want to point out an incredibly pointless detail.

Anyone notice that when Celestia turns away from discord, she looks at the “Fourth Wall”? Kinda like how Pinkie’s 4th wall jokes started?

So, looks like we have to start making a list of ponies with Medium awareness to some extent, as well as how far it extends for them.

Pinkie (Loads of times, near infinite)
Twilight (Magic Duel’s ending, goes into the black screen area)
Celestia (Now, Looks at camera)
Spike? (Not much, he directs a joke or two at camera so possibly only cursory awareness. But he also rolls up Twilight’s imagine spot curtains.)
Fluttershy? (Talking to audience while giving pill to Philomena)
Trixie (Powers over Flash, though that may be an Alicorn Amulet thing)
Rarity? (Grabs the Camera)
Rainbow Dash? (Not in any Canonical sense, but addresses the audience in one or two Commercials involving upcoming episodes.)
Owlicious? (Did that Owl Wink at us at the end?)
Iron Will? (Wink and Thumbs up at audience.)

The list could use a lot of revising… I’m certain I once heard Lyra had a few moments, but TV tropes is refusing to give me the details, so she’s not listed yet.

Anyways, from the looks of it, only one Mane 6 pony seems to be completely oblivious to the fourth wall: Applejack!

Jan 20, 2013 at 08:55AM EST
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Based on my previous attempts to bring it up, I’m not sure if anyone here is really interested, but I’m glad to talk about it with anyone that wants to.

I’m sorta interested and sorta not.

Of course, I don’t have money to spend at the moment. That means I won’t want to purchase it digitally nor purchase a hard version. However, I don’t believe that’s an excuse for me to find an free, illegal download for it.

It sorta grinds my gears. Just because you want to see something doesn’t mean that all of the available options to see it or obtain it are justified. That’s often the logic I’ve read from people who could not purchase the documentary on EqD. “I can’t afford it, so that’s the only reason why I’m torrenting it.” Why not just wait to watch it?

Now I will have to admit that I’ve never originally watched an episode of the actual show in its proper format. It’s always been through YouTube and livestreams more recently. And like many others are doing for this documentary, I’m only viewing the episodes online until I the hard versions (i.e., DVD) come out. Then I buy them (I have the Season 1 set, The Friendship Express, and A Canterlot Wedding.)

However, even though the logic is the same, it feels “more” wrong to apply the same logic for the documentary. I think it’s because I know it’s less of a “documentary” and more of a documentary-like propaganda for the brony community. There won’t be any information on the silly Derpy drama that even less silly bronies got caught up in (or various other unsavory drama that I think are crucial for proper documentation). There certainly won’t be any mention of clop.

So I feel like the creators donated to this and produced this for the brony community. Not in the sense that we’d be the only ones to see it but in the sense that they mean for this film to help our image. I personally don’t really care for the image. I’m not really an open brony, and I try not to run with people who would write me off just for being a brony or would assume that the less attractive attributes of the fandom applies to everyone in the fandom. But I can’t act in a way that would undermine any well-meaning and well-produced effort to help the fandom and/or its image and most certainly not when FiM show staff spent a lot of their time (likely severely underpaid time if not paying for parts of it themselves) making it. If they turn any profit from it, then they’re legally (and in my mind, ethically, to a certain extent) entitled to it.


So I say that to say that I likely won’t watch it for a while.

And I’ve heard that there are some really neat bits in it. But the original animation and original music (I hope it isn’t like…welll, most brony music…I promise most brony musicians just suck with coming up with interesting percussive parts and melodies for their songs…) can’t really be conveyed through someone telling you about it.

Also, my guess (from DeadParrot’s viewing at EQLA, I believe) is that it amounts to just praising the brony fandom. Sure, there’s a lot to praise, especially compared to the prevalent geeky, basement-dweller stereotype (granted, the geeky part is often more true than it isn’t) and the pedophilic/bestial fear some have. But I already know about all of that stuff. I’ve contributed myself to charities, bought merchandise and fanart while exercising more restraint than I usually would in regards to obtaining items or content out of respect to Hasbro, The Hub, and DHX. So, in a way, I’ve already been a part of all of this. It would be nice to see it put together in a “documentary,” annnnd I do intend to buy it at some point. That will likely be my first viewing of it unless it somehow winds up on cable.
 
But those are the reasons why I can’t get too hyped about it. Anything that’s novel can’t be portrayed in a forum thread, and I already know “how it ends.”

However, if you (DeadParrot) want to talk about it, then please do. It won’t spoil anything of any real consequence to me (I can’t speak for everyone else,) and I’ll read everything you say on the matter, even if I don’t comment on it. I don’t have any questions to ask.

I look forward to it…but I’m honestly more excited about the next few episodes coming up.


As for not liking the episode, there were scenes that I enjoyed, and the art from it (per usual) is cute, funny, and generally of high-quality or endearing style.

Best comic.

I get that we all have different opinions, especially as you look at other subcommunities (i.e., KYM PG community is different from the KYM MLP image uploading and commenting community and the KYM FiM entry comments community) within communities (i.e., KYM brony community at large) within the fandom (i.e., of course, the brony fandom.) But I’m only really interested in this subcommunity. On the whole, outside of maybe Feeling Pinkie Keen, I haven’t seen anyone’s opinion differ so drastically from most others. Generally, it’s fairly polarizing with a notable amount of people for and against the episode, generally liked, or generally disliked.

So when Gigatoast and others say this was the best episode this season and I say it’s probably one of the worst episodes of the series, it strikes me as being odd for this subcommunity.

I know for a fact we differ from Derpibooru, EqD, and other communities…that’s why I post here instead of those places

; )

Forgive if I post media that someone has already posted. This connection doesn’t always load all of the media from the thread.

Last edited Jan 20, 2013 at 10:03AM EST
Jan 20, 2013 at 09:56AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Discord wasn’t worried he would lose a friend, he was worried he would lose a friend with benefits.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:49AM EST
Quote

So, Some have questioned the Sincerity of Discord. And to that, I have to say I only think that opinion is half right.

I think he’s still only beginning to come round; he’s not entirely sold on the idea of friendship, yet he’s acknowledged friendship is nicer than being alone.

Of course, he’s still a being of whimsy. and while he has promised to use his powers for good; he flat out admitted he’s still a trickster at heart, but his tricks are probably going to be… a little less harmful.

So instead of flooding farms or whatever; he’s going to spend his pranks on things like turning water into hard liqueur and watching drunkenness ensue… Or something equally “Harmless” like changing the colors of everyone’s manes. or maybe changing one of Rarity’s Dresses temporarily into a Mexican Poncho during the middle of a speech.

… In other words, he’s going to be incredibly annoying, but not necessarily dangerous.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:50PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

So, Some have questioned the Sincerity of Discord. And to that, I have to say I only think that opinion is half right.

I think he’s still only beginning to come round; he’s not entirely sold on the idea of friendship, yet he’s acknowledged friendship is nicer than being alone.

Of course, he’s still a being of whimsy. and while he has promised to use his powers for good; he flat out admitted he’s still a trickster at heart, but his tricks are probably going to be… a little less harmful.

So instead of flooding farms or whatever; he’s going to spend his pranks on things like turning water into hard liqueur and watching drunkenness ensue… Or something equally “Harmless” like changing the colors of everyone’s manes. or maybe changing one of Rarity’s Dresses temporarily into a Mexican Poncho during the middle of a speech.

… In other words, he’s going to be incredibly annoying, but not necessarily dangerous.

Yep, notice how he said “most of the time” at the end?

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:55PM EST
Quote

@Verbs:

Even though this episode is arguably objectively less flawed then “Wonderbolt Academy”, and you seem to be treating it with the level of appreciation one might treat a sidewalk covered in goose crap, we are not getting into this same stupid argument again.

If the only legitimate problem people have with the episode is the ending they obviously ran out of screen time to pull off they way they wanted, there’s not much to discuss. I’m almost interested in hearing how you justify calling this “the worst of the series”, that phrase gets tossed around nearly every episode, and it hasn’t been true since “Cutie-Pox”. (which in itself had some redeeming qualities) I figured you where less of an alarmist then that.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:38PM EST
Quote

@Brony Doc availability
Yeah, it’s in John De Lancie’s letter that I linked to, but I probably should have said it explicitly.
If anyone does want to see the doc, please do buy it legally or wait for it to be released more publicly from the official source.
Yes, this fandom has grown accustomed to having episodes and such immediately and freely available on Youtbe, but the doc is running on a different structure.
With the actual show, all of the writers, animators, actors and such are paid as any worker would be.
While pirating the episodes could lead to potential profit losses for Hasbro, potentially leading to job losses for those employees, the effects are diffused enough that that outcome is relatively unlikely.
For the documentary, compensation works differently.
The Kickstarter money was spent on hiring camera crews, editors, sound/video engineers as well as travel and accommodations in the numerous locations visited.

Basically, the producers (who include De Lancie, Strong, and Faust) have completely deferred payment until the movie turns a profit.
They plan to do this through submissions to film festivals and hopefully things like Netflix and wider distribution in the future.
However, no company will be willing to buy a documentary that is freely available on the internet. (Why would they?)
Pirating, in this case, would be directly putting these people’s paychecks in jeopardy after they spent eight months putting this thing together.
Please don’t do that to them.

@Actual Content
Just a couple notes to your points, Verbs.
The individual stories (There are about 5 or 6 ‘primary’ ones, with a few smaller ones sprinkled throughout) are interesting and show some of the hurdles that some people have overcome as bronies.

Most of the animations were done be the AskTheCrusaders guy, a.k.a. pretty much the most show accurate fan-animator out there, so quality is no issue there.

Music might be a little more subjective so I can’t necessarily assume that everyone will like their selections.
I’ll just say that there was never a moment where the music distracted or detracted from the experience while I was watching it personally, and I too am not a huge fan of brony music.
Take from that what you will.

As for clopping…

Yeah, it’s there.
Very brief and not explored, but the term is used (by John himself no less) along with that animation so it’s not completely ignored but it was never really expected to be.

Overall, I do think that it’s worth a watch whether you buy it now or wait until later.
I don’t see it radically changing the way that bronies are received the world over or anything, but it s fun and entertaining and could give some people a window into a world they might otherwise dismiss out of hand.

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:42PM EST
Quote

The latest episode was amazing, I genuinely enjoyed the episode and happy to see that Discord will have a chance to appear in later episodes. I will have to admit the only flaw with this episode was the time constraint; apparently spike episodes are more important so they had to sacrifice the possibility of this episode being a two part story. I also think that they made a very good transition of Discord’s character; he is a mischievous and chaotic character, a twisted character able to morph reality to his whim but never was as evil as a character like NMM or Sombra so this change of heart was reasonable despite it being rushed. He still is going to be mischievous make no mistake, but most of his goals have most likely have been changed. So for me this episode from the majority was:

Announcement:
I shall host the synctube today; the latest episode shall start at 7 pm EST.

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:31PM EST
Quote

I didn’t really like the new episode as much as the rest of you appear to have. Time constrains, less-than-fantastic humor…hmmph. Maybe I wasn’t lively enough to really enjoy it.

PinkiexDiscord.

No, really. PinkiexDiscord.

Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder…

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:30PM EST
Quote

May I take the floor and talk about the new episode guise?

Jan 21, 2013 at 07:26AM EST
Quote

Kewln00b? wrote:

May I take the floor and talk about the new episode guise?

The episode has already aired. We (or some of us) don’t want to talk about episodes that haven’t aired yet.


Source.


Or more simply, yes. Just don’t talk about episodes that haven’t aired yet.

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 07:37AM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 07:37AM EST

Ah, it’s good to have a new episode to watch again! And the fact that Discord is in it just makes it even better! Lots of visual gags, Discord being Discord, a neat little Disney reference (Beauty and the Beast)… one of the better episodes this season, in my opinion.

Of course, it kinda makes me wonder what’s next for Discord. Obviously Celestia has some sort of plans for him, but what? What can Discord do that Celestia can’t? I’m just glad that we will probably see some more of him at some point.

As for those of you saying that his “change of heart” at the end was too abrupt, consider this… You are Fluttershy’s friend. You have an opportunity to go skating with her, but she throws her skates away because you said/did some rather mean things. Would you really want to lose her?

I didn’t think so. Case in point. Even Discord can’t repel cuteness of that magnitude!

Hmm, I think I’ll watch that episode again when I get home today. I tend to pick up on a bit more the second time around.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:11AM EST
Quote

@Verbose

I agree with your decision not to pirate the DVD despite the fact that you watch all the pony eps on youtube, but not with your reasons. The moral copability of stealing a product is not conditioned upon what the purveyor of said product plans to do with his profits. Stealing is stealing.

The reason why I’m comfortable watching pony episodes on Youtube but would feel uncomfortable torrenting the documentary is because as far as I’m concerned, those pony episodes are public domain. Hasbro is well aware of their gross availability and has done nothing to stop it. I feel that by not issuing so much as a word of objection they have given their tacit consent to our watching the episodes for free.

The same cannot be said of the documentary. It is very clear that the creators expect us to pay for this product, so torrenting it would be stealing.

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 11:04AM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:56AM EST
Quote

@Fifths
Not so much, really…

Hasbro has definitely made some efforts to control the free exchange of pony, though I’m guessing that they are purposely limiting themselves as much as they can afford to do so.
The point still stands though: Hasbro as a corporation is far more able (and thus far more willing) to deal with the effects of piracy than the six producers of this rather small documentary.


Hey lookie!
John De Lancie’s song has been posted!
This was posted by the guy who animated it with the direct permission of the documentary producers!
Prepare your pun shields!
Also keep an eye out for all the little details and references.
There are quite a few.
Song time!

Now, everyone begin arguing over which category you fall into!

That’s really one of my only complaints about these segments.
Trying to categorize such a large and diverse fanbase into three rather simplistic groups just doesn’t work very well.
Fortunately, this theme isn’t held throughout the live-action segments and each interviewee is treated as an individual, not as a member of some representative sub-group.
Makes it all the odder that it was included, but shrug


Speaking of animation, the show itself continues to impress.
Did anyone notice this amazing attention to detail?

That little slip is so great!
Good job, animators!

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 12:57PM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 12:49PM EST
Quote

@The Brony Doc:

I did donate enough money to get my name forever immortalized in the credits because I’m an egotistical son of a bitch, but I might hold off on buying it for a while, just to see if the price changes or anything. The animation seems stellar, which is a given considering who they got (do you even .gif, Exudes?) That little song was pretty neat as well, even if I think the groups are a bit inaccurate.

Regardless, I’m probably not going to buy it for a while. It’s not like I really need to see it, as I already know all about the fandom. But it would be nice to view it at some point, even if it’s just to get hyped at my name in the credits.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:41PM EST
Quote

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@The Brony Doc:

I did donate enough money to get my name forever immortalized in the credits because I’m an egotistical son of a bitch, but I might hold off on buying it for a while, just to see if the price changes or anything. The animation seems stellar, which is a given considering who they got (do you even .gif, Exudes?) That little song was pretty neat as well, even if I think the groups are a bit inaccurate.

Regardless, I’m probably not going to buy it for a while. It’s not like I really need to see it, as I already know all about the fandom. But it would be nice to view it at some point, even if it’s just to get hyped at my name in the credits.

>Pony General
>Having money
>2013

I type this message to you on a laptop held together by masking tape I stole from my marketing teacher’s classroom.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:51PM EST
Quote

@DeadParrot

That John De Lancie song is awesome, I’m really glad I watched it. I wanna see that brony documentary, but I’m too cheap to buy it. I guess I would fall into the moderate category, even though I made a few videos.

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:53PM EST
Quote

>be at Chic-Fil-A because chicken
>literally five seconds from leaving after finishing my nuggets
>girl about my age comes in with her mom
>she’s wearing a Derpy eye hoodie
>resist urge to offer bro-hoof in public
>panic because she’s going one way and my family the other
>leave family to go tell her how awesome her hoodie is
>have zero regrets

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:56PM EST
Quote

Lauren’s Dream.

Source: Bronies – The Extremly Unexpected Adult Fans Of My little Pony (Documantary)
(www.bronydoc.com)

Other thing:

By Mickeymonster

Last edited Jan 21, 2013 at 02:26PM EST
Jan 21, 2013 at 02:24PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!