Forums / Discussion / General

171,194 total conversations in 5,612 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

Ashki wrote:

Which still leads me to believe that all this damaging of the IP of Hasbro is BS and that FiM was C&D’d for some other reason that is beyond me.

Please for the love of God do not bring up the C&D again…
The reasons for Hasbro’s C&D are not clear, and saying it was potentially damaging to the trademark was mostly mass guessing on our part. We don’t know why Hasbro did it but frankly it’s none of our damn business. It’s between Hasbro and Mane6 and we should probably keep it that way

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:01PM EST
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Please for the love of God do not bring up the C&D again…
The reasons for Hasbro’s C&D are not clear, and saying it was potentially damaging to the trademark was mostly mass guessing on our part. We don’t know why Hasbro did it but frankly it’s none of our damn business. It’s between Hasbro and Mane6 and we should probably keep it that way

Sorry, I have to disagree. I think we have a right to know why they shut it down, and EqD brought up that stupid BS about it being damaging to the property, so I’m debunking that by pointing out JJ’s Ask Molestia tumblr.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:05PM EST
Quote

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:09PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:07PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

Sorry, I have to disagree. I think we have a right to know why they shut it down, and EqD brought up that stupid BS about it being damaging to the property, so I’m debunking that by pointing out JJ’s Ask Molestia tumblr.

We’ve already went through quite some points quite detailed a few pages ago (154) regarding the C&D. Please update yourself with those first and try and counter them before making claims here like all our points are invalid because it is your opinion we’re up against.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:21PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

We’ve already went through quite some points quite detailed a few pages ago (154) regarding the C&D. Please update yourself with those first and try and counter them before making claims here like all our points are invalid because it is your opinion we’re up against.

Just like my opinion on violent video games huh?

Cause if I remember correctly, I remember my opinion on those getting ignored as well.

Oh, and by the way, since that topic was locked, I’ll mention it here. I remember people saying that that bill wouldn’t be called unconstitutional. Heh, guess who was right about that though? Me.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:33PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:25PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

Just like my opinion on violent video games huh?

Cause if I remember correctly, I remember my opinion on those getting ignored as well.

Oh, and by the way, since that topic was locked, I’ll mention it here. I remember people saying that that bill wouldn’t be called unconstitutional. Heh, guess who was right about that though? Me.

Read it as you will, that is not up to me. I’m just pointing you out to a past discussion that will save us both time and repeatance of past arguments.

Cause if I remember correctly, I remember my opinion on those getting ignored as well.

Same reply in that case. Please bring up counter arguments instead of a repeatance of opinions that were already countered, ignoring our opinions in the process.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:47PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:32PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

Sorry, I have to disagree. I think we have a right to know why they shut it down, and EqD brought up that stupid BS about it being damaging to the property, so I’m debunking that by pointing out JJ’s Ask Molestia tumblr.

FiM managed to produce thousands of uncontrolled dollars to charity with just a few days.
FiM was suddenly in the public eye for one of, if the THE biggest fighting game expos in the world.
An unfinished game that turned out to be awful would damage the IP recognition on a Multi-National level.

Ask Princess Molestia isn’t well known outside of the fandom.
The eternally cake-gobbling Molestia is not considered official by any means.
Ask Princess Molestia falls under parody, and is safe under Fair Use.
John Joseco obviously wouldn’t make a scene at an high class invitation-only event.


Not to sound like a jerk, but please stop insinuating and pulling assumptions out of your rear end. Hasbro has no responsibility to tell us why they issued a Cease and Desist. You assume it wouldn’t damage their property, but you fail to realize how big of an event EVO is. Not to mention Hasbro wants their show to go to China (the nation with a MASSIVE number of knock-off brands), and allowing FiM to reach a national level could damage that even more.

They let FiM go for two years. It wasn’t until it got that huge level of recognition that Hasbro decided they couldn’t let it go any further. When your press is talking more about a fan-made game and not your IP brand, you have a problem.


Concerning your post just after this: No, we’re not shrugging off your opinion. We’re saying you’re making insinuations based on assumptions. We discussed this topic several pages ago already, and we’re all ready to move on now.

Please stop being the guy who holds up the rest of the dinner party from leaving because he alone wants dessert. It’s fucking annoying.



No more on this subject. It’s done and in the past. Saturday is coming up soon, and we’ve talked very little about it. Can we get back to pony princesses and Singlestia now?

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:58PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:36PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

And just like the other topic, my opinion gets shrugged off. Awesome as usual.

Not really to surprised honestly. Nobody listens to me when I’m not on the computer either.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:40PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:38PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

And just like the other topic, my opinion gets shrugged off. Awesome as usual.

Not really to surprised honestly. Nobody listens to me when I’m not on the computer either.

Just like I told Eban 2 pages ago, go back and look at what we already said about a topic before saying anything. You’re repeating arguments that we already countered, and before you say we’re ignoring you, multiple people have countered your Molestia argument, and with valid reasons. Everything else is rehashed from like 10 pages ago. It’s not that we aren’t reading your posts, it’s that you aren’t reading ours.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:46PM EST
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Twilitlord wrote:

Just like I told Eban 2 pages ago, go back and look at what we already said about a topic before saying anything. You’re repeating arguments that we already countered, and before you say we’re ignoring you, multiple people have countered your Molestia argument, and with valid reasons. Everything else is rehashed from like 10 pages ago. It’s not that we aren’t reading your posts, it’s that you aren’t reading ours.

No no, it’s fine. I know when my opinions are getting ignored, it goes on all the time offline as much as it does online.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:47PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

No no, it’s fine. I know when my opinions are getting ignored, it goes on all the time offline as much as it does online.

I don’t want to sound offensive here, but if this happens all the time the issue might not be everyone else. Pushing the guilt to others is a sign of escaping the facts. Advancey replied to your post, yet you aren’t replying to him let alone trying to counter him, but instead play dumb and ignore it. Irony much?

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:51PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:50PM EST
Quote
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

RandomMan wrote:

I don’t want to sound offensive here, but if this happens all the time the issue might not be everyone else. Pushing the guilt to others is a sign of escaping the facts. Advancey replied to your post, yet you aren’t replying to him let alone trying to counter him, but instead play dumb and ignore it. Irony much?

Why even bother when no ones going to listen, and no, even when I’m right offline or online, everyone tends to shrug my opinion off.

Honestly, just go on without me for a while. I need a break from all the bullshit.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:53PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:51PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

I don’t want to sound offensive here, but if this happens all the time the issue might not be everyone else. Pushing the guilt to others is a sign of escaping the facts. Advancey replied to your post, yet you aren’t replying to him let alone trying to counter him, but instead play dumb and ignore it. Irony much?

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:55PM EST
Quote

You know, after seeing this ‘Equestria Girls’ thing I just realized. I haven’t seen bronies pull out the whole “Dude WTF Twilight isn’t Black in this show!”

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:55PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

You know, after seeing this ‘Equestria Girls’ thing I just realized. I haven’t seen bronies pull out the whole “Dude WTF Twilight isn’t Black in this show!”

They have made them keep the colors from the show, so Twilight is still purple. They’re basically semi-anthro (or some shit) in that show. So the discussions are possible, but kinda difficult when we don’t know much about the show itself (even though their personalities remain the same).

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 03:59PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 03:58PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

You know, after seeing this ‘Equestria Girls’ thing I just realized. I haven’t seen bronies pull out the whole “Dude WTF Twilight isn’t Black in this show!”

This is something I keep seeing brought up on the pictures. People keep mentioning the skin color of the characters.

Apparently I don’t think those people ever watched Doug since the characters in those had some odd choices of skin coloring as well.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:00PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

Why even bother when no ones going to listen, and no, even when I’m right offline or online, everyone tends to shrug my opinion off.

Honestly, just go on without me for a while. I need a break from all the bullshit.

I was ignoring you because I just got here a few minutes ago and just finished reading your posts.
Now I’m not going to reply to you with a wall of Text because you’re using guilt AKA the whole “Waah no one cares about me, not in real life or on the internet, waah woe is me” attention whore schtick.

@RandomMan I know, I like the fact that they’re using the colors of their coats for their skin color, makes it so the bronies can’t argue about what’s really canon, White Twilight or Black Twilight because it turns out.

TWILIGHT IS PURPLE, IT IS NOW CANON

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 04:03PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 04:00PM EST
Quote

Kewln00b The Manchild wrote:

You know, after seeing this ‘Equestria Girls’ thing I just realized. I haven’t seen bronies pull out the whole “Dude WTF Twilight isn’t Black in this show!”

That image has been “floating around” so nothing is official yet. I think it could very well be fan art, because the style of the characters looks little off from the background if you ask me. They also look like some image I found deep in my pony folder from over a year ago. So not sure if real girls are not. Anything could change if it was them. I mean they could do a focus group and find out that people really don’t like the girls colors and change them completely. You never know.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:01PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Many thanks, Alex.

I’ve been wondering how some of the other users would answer this question and questions like this. RandomMan, BSoD, me, and couple of others have had very basic conversations about the show and why we like it. But I haven’t heard from many of the regulars here now.
 
Personally, I’d say it’s gotta be the characters. But that isn’t to discredit the fact that the characters are cute and colorful ponies.

For example:

Whoreness aside, this is a really cute picture. The animation has improved significantly since the first episodes, but the style and art has always been really cute. It does wonders to see visually appealing, animated characters. I think it’s part of the reason why pony art tends to stay very close to the show style.
 
But the characters and their interactions with each other tends to be on point. An episode like Look Before You Sleep would normally be boring, but it’s one of my favorite episodes, because you get to see Rarijack Rarity and Applejack having conflict that their personalities would almost dictate they would have.

The basic differences in values, the retorts, the sass, the outright antagonism, the reluctant apologies, the comforting, continuation of the tendency to spar, the laughing, and the genuine love for each other was all shown between the two in one episode (with Twilight Skankface providing comic relief.)

Whenever I hear about an episode that will focus on the interaction between two characters, I get really excited (well, considering it’s a television show anyway.) With some exceptions (and there will always be “mistakes”/days where any character isn’t acting like themselves), the writers do a great job of portraying characters in the same way, in ways that don’t “Flanderize” them or boil them down to very basic traits, and in ways that aren’t insulting the periphery demographics (because I think other groups of people like this show, like teen girls, I guess) or the target demographic (before they turn into idiotic teens and adults.)


So yes, the characterization, but the fact that they’re cute ponies/the design of the characters is far from unimportant.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:18PM EST

I’m willing to give the new series a try, should they keep the characters in well, character and as I mentioned on a few of the pictures, not resort to turning them MLP Tales like.

That is of course, if the rumors are true and those pictures are not fake.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:25PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Both, because mixed together, they produce the sweetest, most adorable show ever.

Which then gives me:

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:04PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Characters, all the way. When all is said and done it doesn’t matter that the main characters are ponies. They could have been humans, aliens, kiwi birds or whatever- the writers are so good and Lauren is such a boss character designer that it would have been great regardless.

Although that leads us to another question, is the artist’s character design or how the writers portray the characters more important? On this front I’m willing to give it to the artwork.
For example, I watch a lot of cartoons while babysitting my little bro and I’ve come to conclude that “Amazing World of Gumball” survives solely on creative and unique character designs.

The plots aren’t that unique interesting or surprising and the jokes are more miss than hit (at least for me), but its just so god damn interesting to look at. Conversely, bad character design can make both me and my brother agree that a show is garbage. Especially art-styles that scream “WE ARE TRYING TO APPEAL TO A TWEEN DEMOGRAPHIC

Could the writing have been good? Maybe, we’ll never know because the character design is so godawful that we couldn’t sit through more than five minutes. Now compare that to the Total Drama series, which I can only assume was similar due to it having same production company, voice actors, reliance on teenage stereotypes, etc… but the character designs make it watchable,and dare I say- entertaining. Character designs make or break a cartoon.

Anyway there’s my two cents on the matter.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 05:10PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 05:06PM EST
Quote

@Windigo: Yes, I have to agree with you, which is why I’m hoping they don’t…I’m guessing the word would be flanderize the characters personalities.

As for the looks, I don’t think they deals in the leaked picture, again assuming if it’s real look half bad, but that’s my opinion, and we see how much that’s worth around here.

But yeah, I’ll wait and see how this turns out, cause I’m still thinking it could be a troll thing and quite possibly not real.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:15PM EST
Quote

EQD has another write-up the event from last weekend! Spoilers Within!

So in that write-up, a hint is dropped that ‘Daniel Ingram is involved in pretty much all of it.’
Guys, I think we may be approaching a full-on musical episode here!


@What Makes The Show Great
This seems to happen quite often, but once again, Verbose stole much of my thunder.
It’s impossible to pin it down to a single element because I believe that MLP is sort of a ‘perfect storm’ kind of show.
I was first intrigued by the art style through seeing all the little images and avatars popping p all over KYM.
They were colorful and cute and just so… different from other cartoons that I had seen that they really caught my eye.
Then I saw them move.
I can’t remember the precise scene(s), but I seem to distinctly remember Dash and Pinkie moving and just being really impressed with the animation.
It was smooth and detailed and really organic.
Without even hearing the dialogue, I could figure out the emotion of the scene from the animation alone.
That was impressive enough to get me to give the show a chance, and I ended up rolling through all 26 episodes in 2 days.
Once the art had pulled me in, it was the characters that kept me there.
The main six all had their own unique, believable personalities and motivations that played off of and complemented each other in very interesting ways.
Obviously, convincing characters can only be achieved through solid voice acting which this show also has in spades.

So yeah…
Great art and animation to hook people, great characters, writing, and acting to keep them.

@Windigo
Obviously, we have entered a very subjective area when we start talking about appealing character design.
While I certainly agree with the general ‘good design can really help a show,’ what makes something ‘good’ is harder to define.
For me, that show you talked about doesn’t look very appealing, mostly because it seems to lack coherence.
The designs are inventive, yes, but they seem to have little relation to one another or their setting so it comes across more as a collection of odd doodles than a living, breathing world.
That can be entertaining, but it isn’t going to pull me in as much as ponies has for at least that one reason.
MLP does a great job of keeping everything pretty grounded in its singular style with the only real exception being those 3D wolves.
Just my two cents on that.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 05:56PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 05:39PM EST
Quote

@Why the show is so good

The Advance continuum hath spake.

New topic

So…who’s ready to go back into pony hibernation because I sure as hell am not.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 06:15PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 05:58PM EST
Quote

So… They made an Advanced Screening of the new Episode, but there isn’t a leak of it yet?

Are you sure it’s not a version of the episode where all the characters look like rarity for some reason and all the names are changed to advance?

But seriously, I’m going to go check for a leak now. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t one.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:07PM EST
Quote

Fifths wrote:

@Why the show is so good

The Advance continuum hath spake.

New topic

So…who’s ready to go back into pony hibernation because I sure as hell am not.

I am, but for completely different reasons.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:20PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

So… They made an Advanced Screening of the new Episode, but there isn’t a leak of it yet?

Are you sure it’s not a version of the episode where all the characters look like rarity for some reason and all the names are changed to advance?

But seriously, I’m going to go check for a leak now. I’d be surprised if there wasn’t one.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:28PM EST
Quote

Also, I’m seriously doubting the legitimacy of that image everyone is referring to for the MLP spinoff. The only source I can find from the image is from here, and I think the movie is supposed to be about the main mlpfim show, not the spinoff.

“Concept Art of the MLP movie.”

Finally, I found something “I do want.”

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:35PM EST
Quote

Pony is great for many reasons.

Big adventure:
Many little girls’ shows have things just “turn out” right all the time. In MLP, The characters have to work for things to turn out okay, whether it be learning to get along with others, or conquering formidable foes.
Tons of Fun:
The way the characters work off each other for comedy is genius, and even slapstick is done with beautiful precision.
Beautiful Art:
The pony designs are so damn cute! The colors are bright and cheerful! Not in an over-the-top Lisa Frank sort of way, but in a balanced, attractive, artistic way.
Amazing Songs:
Winter Wrap Up is still stuck in my head, and I first watched it a year ago. Even the background music is spectacular. SO MANY FEELS.
And, who could ever forget this moment?

Sharing Kindness: it’s an easy feat!
The show has so much heart. It has sincerity. These lessons aren’t just things that grown-ups think kids should do; they’re honest feelings people have. This is one of two shows I can think of that make me more sincere with my feelings (The other is Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood).
There’s something that you can’t explain. Perhaps it’s the fact that there is no “feel-good” television for men, and the bronies on the internet let us feel that it is normal and okay for men to seek “feel-good” entertainment.

Magic Makes it all complete!

But in the end, it’s unique, and cannot be recreated by any artifice known to man. PONY will mark its place on the history of the Web, as well as a place in our memories forever. May it live long and never suck.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:53PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Both.

Because the characters seem almost real in a way and easy to relate to at times. Character is what makes much of the show. If it isn’t unique or creative (i.e. probably most of those dumb live-action-type shows that are prominent on Cartoon Network), what would be its point? I mean, each main character of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has their own unique personality!

I’m not going to really list their traits in their personality right off the bat, since I don’t know how I should state them anditwouldprobablymakepeopleheremadifIstateditwrongandprobablygetmebannedsomehowandwhoknowswhatcouldhappenafterthatmaybemylifewouldgodownhillfromthereandthatisnotagoodthingatall buthonestlyIamnotreallygoodatspeech.

And because pony, that’s why.
Ponies are awesome.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 08:04PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 08:03PM EST
Quote

2spooky the invisible windigo wrote:

inb4 Dragon porn pics of Corey Powell become a thing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:07PM EST
Quote

I’m gonna keep my reasons for liking the show short: I think the show really has a lot of heart put into it, and I can tell that the team creating the show actually cares about what’s being produced. It’s definitely not a perfect show, but I’m not asking it to be. I think this is the kind of show that has good values, a colorful and interesting setting and well written characters. I personally am not a huge fan of the art style (well ok I still find it frikin adorable at times) but I find it perfectly fitting for the show. It’s nice to see that it has an art style that strays from the original style of the MLP cartoons.


As the days go by and I think about it more, I doubt that the “sample” picture we’ve seen is actually legitimate. I don’t have to much reason to doubt Equestria Girls is real (although it could still be debunked) but the only picture we’ve seen from Equestria Girls just looks way too amateur to be actually real. For one thing, the sample picture was not shown in the magazine article that talked about Equestria Girls. That seems a little weird to me, wouldn’t articles talking about a show have sample pictures? The Entertainment Weekly article that confirmed Twilicorn actually has a picture of Alicorn Twilight. The picture itself doesn’t really look right, either. I mean, it makes sense that all of the mane 6 have the same body proportions (as they do in FiM) but why do they all have skirts that are the same length? Why is all their footwear the same height? Why do the characters look like they’re standing in front of a backdrop instead of a real hallway? Why does it all look so cheap? If this show has the MLP label on it, there is no way in hell it would look cheap. I suppose we could give the benefit of the doubt and say “Well, this is just a sample of the animation style in its early stages, it’ll most likely look way more polished in the finished product.” but I don’t know, something smells a little fishy about that leaked image. If it turns out to be legitimate I’ll eat my words, but right now I’m growing skeptical.


Coily the Snake wrote:

Sorry, I have to disagree. I think we have a right to know why they shut it down

C&D aside, this feeling of entitlement is what I really dislike about the brony community (and the internet in general). We did nothing to earn our right to learn what is going on in business between Hasbro and Mane6. There is a huge difference between “I want to know/I think it is fair for us to know” and “I think we have the right to know” the latter makes you sound like you did something to deserve to have the information when you most likely didn’t do anything but look forward to the game (which in my book doesn’t “entitle” you to anything). The latter, however, makes you sound more like a concerned fan who just wants to be in the know. There is nothing wrong with wanting to know things, but acting like you have some sort of right to know what goes on in private business is something I find to be not ok.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 09:57PM EST
Quote

I am have now officially part of the Rarity bandwagon, I decided to mix it with my favorite poni as well!
Have some FUCKING CHIBI!!!:

SO ADORABLE I JUST WANT TO DECK SOME ONE IN THE DAMN FACE!!

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 09:58PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 09:58PM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:16PM EST

Um… Guys… I just thought of something…

If a Crystal Pony becomes a Vampire… Is that going too far?

More to the point… What if Twilight Sparkle turns into a Vampire while also turned all Crystalline by the Crystal Heart?

I’m saying this because something in one of my disorganized fan fic notes says something that is best interpreted as “Crystal Pony Vampire”.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47PM EST
Quote

What do I love most about the show? Here I’ll describe it in a perfectly good video I found

Okay Rainbow Dash Fanboy aside this is what I really like about the show the most

And this one

Yep that’s what I love most about My Little Pony.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:49PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

Um… Guys… I just thought of something…

If a Crystal Pony becomes a Vampire… Is that going too far?

More to the point… What if Twilight Sparkle turns into a Vampire while also turned all Crystalline by the Crystal Heart?

I’m saying this because something in one of my disorganized fan fic notes says something that is best interpreted as “Crystal Pony Vampire”.

There’s only thing that comes to mind when I think about that, and I’m sure you know what it probably is.

Especially giving that TWILIGHT is becoming a…shiny vampire.

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 11:13PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:59PM EST
Quote

Ashki wrote:

There’s only thing that comes to mind when I think about that, and I’m sure you know what it probably is.

Especially giving that TWILIGHT is becoming a…shiny vampire.

Yeah… I know…

You’re going to make me say it out loud aren’t you?

*Le Sigh

Is it okay if I accidentally Stephine Myer, provided future plans set it up as a joke?

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:03PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

Yeah… I know…

You’re going to make me say it out loud aren’t you?

*Le Sigh

Is it okay if I accidentally Stephine Myer, provided future plans set it up as a joke?

Is okay!

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:04PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Are you giving me a choice between characters or ponies? Well in that case the answer would have to be characters. I imagine most everyone here will pick that option

If you just love the ponies for the poni then you should be able to love G3, G2 and G1 because that’s all they had going for them. But most people don’t.

If we didn’t have such well constructed characters in G4, this fandom would never have gotten off the ground. The first fans may have still watched the first couple episodes and still made the first image macro’s just for the irony and troll potential, but with no deep characterization to latch onto…it would never have lasted.

A lot of what this fandom creates is built upon those characters. We create fanfictions and art not just to see ponies in different poses but to see those characters act and behave in new context and explore idea’s of those characters interacting with new environments

People who fap to pony porn are more likely to be fapping over those characters and their love for those characters, rather than just fapping over a horse in lingerie…I hope.

So yea, it’s mostly about the characters. It’s for this same reason that I don’t see the upset over Equestria Girls when we have not seen anything yet. Because if that show executes the characters just as well, it could still work. My only reason for not caring much for it now is that I probably won’t see too much appeal in the high-school context.


On the other hand, if we are talking reasons that go beyond just characters and ponies then I would say, as I have said before in earlier Pony Generals; that my draw to this fandom is mostly the fandom itself and not so much the show.

The show is cute and adorable with nice morals, which I like, but I see it as just a regular show. I don’t find it spectacular compared to shows like Batman of the Future. But to me, this fandom is quite unique. As far as I can tell MLP is special partly because the internet made it special using the power of fan creation and hype. I love the things the internet has created using MLP as a catalyst. That’s what fascinates me more than anything else.

MLP alone still has many merits going for it, I will admit. For instance it was the lovable morale of Luna Eclipsed that got me in the the fandom

But also we, the internet, made MLP what it is known for today: our chosen one to rise to unwarranted fame and troll everybody who’s insecure about girly things in their internet. I wouldn’t have even watched Luna Eclipsed in the first place if it wasn’t for that

We took an ordinary, simple cartoon that nobody thought would be exceptional and we gave it new characters in our image, new merchandise in our image, conventions, freaking convensions!, endless artworks from talented artists, epic crossover stories, whole entire product lines and populated half the internet with cartoon horses. This is the power of the internet, the power of fandom and my awe of it drew me in

Last edited Feb 13, 2013 at 11:37PM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:31PM EST
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

Are you giving me a choice between characters or ponies? Well in that case the answer would have to be characters. I imagine most everyone here will pick that option

If you just love the ponies for the poni then you should be able to love G3, G2 and G1 because that’s all they had going for them. But most people don’t.

If we didn’t have such well constructed characters in G4, this fandom would never have gotten off the ground. The first fans may have still watched the first couple episodes and still made the first image macro’s just for the irony and troll potential, but with no deep characterization to latch onto…it would never have lasted.

A lot of what this fandom creates is built upon those characters. We create fanfictions and art not just to see ponies in different poses but to see those characters act and behave in new context and explore idea’s of those characters interacting with new environments

People who fap to pony porn are more likely to be fapping over those characters and their love for those characters, rather than just fapping over a horse in lingerie…I hope.

So yea, it’s mostly about the characters. It’s for this same reason that I don’t see the upset over Equestria Girls when we have not seen anything yet. Because if that show executes the characters just as well, it could still work. My only reason for not caring much for it now is that I probably won’t see too much appeal in the high-school context.


On the other hand, if we are talking reasons that go beyond just characters and ponies then I would say, as I have said before in earlier Pony Generals; that my draw to this fandom is mostly the fandom itself and not so much the show.

The show is cute and adorable with nice morals, which I like, but I see it as just a regular show. I don’t find it spectacular compared to shows like Batman of the Future. But to me, this fandom is quite unique. As far as I can tell MLP is special partly because the internet made it special using the power of fan creation and hype. I love the things the internet has created using MLP as a catalyst. That’s what fascinates me more than anything else.

MLP alone still has many merits going for it, I will admit. For instance it was the lovable morale of Luna Eclipsed that got me in the the fandom

But also we, the internet, made MLP what it is known for today: our chosen one to rise to unwarranted fame and troll everybody who’s insecure about girly things in their internet. I wouldn’t have even watched Luna Eclipsed in the first place if it wasn’t for that

We took an ordinary, simple cartoon that nobody thought would be exceptional and we gave it new characters in our image, new merchandise in our image, conventions, freaking convensions!, endless artworks from talented artists, epic crossover stories, whole entire product lines and populated half the internet with cartoon horses. This is the power of the internet, the power of fandom and my awe of it drew me in

Too Long; Did Read

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51PM EST
Quote

Alex Mercer wrote:

I have a new topic:
What really makes this show amazing? Characters or ponies? And why?

Alright, I’m going to give a serious answer now.

What everyone else has said about the quality of the show being a reason why people flocked to it is correct. If mlp remained the vapid piece of garbage that it was in the 80s and 90s, we would continue to hate it with all the fiery wrath that the just have when confronting an object of evil.

We can’t just end the discussion there however. There are dozens of shows out there of similar or better quality that we could be watching instead that would also be age appropriate. So why mlp?

The big reason why I think people have found Friendship is Magic to be so attractive is because in addition to its quality writing, FiM is simple. Ponies are a breath of fresh air for people fatigued by all the stress of being a member of modern society.

Western culture, as a general trend, has been confusing and depressing as hell for the last century. God has died and society has become secular, leaving us in a cold and uncaring universe where death is final and there is no right or wrong except that which we agree upon. Science tells us that time is relative and matter is composed of massless vibrating strings. Society tells us with its confused capitalist/socialist system that we can only win at the expense of others and that we are also morally responsible for what happens to others. Feminists, Marxists, and relativists in general tell us that we only know what we think we know because of presupposed cultural assumptions designed to force us to find in favor of the status quo. Existentialist philosophers tell us that life is a pointless labour that leads only to frustration and misery.

Doesn’t everything I just said make you want to put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger wish for a simpler life? What’s worae is that art tends to reflect culture as well, so all this noise and nonsense has been very much apparent in our visual art and music as well. You think that that weird abstract art came out of a vaccum? You think that dissonance, loudness, and general senselessness of modern music doesn’t reflect the world that modern man finds himself in? Have you heard of absurdist humor? Sure you have, it’s the thing that has made a hack like Seth Macfarlane so many millions of dollars. Now go look up absurdism and absurdist philosophy.

Don’t you just want to sit back and watch a nice show without being confronted by the decay of western civilization? Well here’s your chance! Check out this pony show where for 22 minutes of your life, you don’t have to think about all the dismal depressing shit you find in that 21st century hellhole you call home! For 22 minutes, the only thing you have to worry about is whether Rarity and Applejack can get along long enough not to ruin Twi’s first ever slumber party. The problems are easy to solve, the characters are charming and uncomplicated, and the ethics advocate for a basic system of social cohesion and health. Good literature must accomplish one of two goals: It will either educate us or it will provide escapism. MLP doesn’t do much for the former, but it absolutely excells at the latter.

Honestly, when people call us weirdos, there’s a little truth to it. People don’t just watch My Little Pony and form massive communities around it the way we have, not even amongst the target demographic. Bronies have a tendency to make the show a very large part of their lives, large even by the standards of fanboys, and the reason why is more than just that they enjoy ze colorful equine. Mlp provides a crucial escape for those people from modernity, allows them to build communities removed from normal society and all its bullshit. I’ve always got a sense of a depressing undertone to the brony subculture, and it’s because I realize that all the happy colors and good will is connected to this dismal modernist bullshit, even if it is only connected through the unilateral rejection of it.

tl;dr: People like ponies because they’re colorful and happy and our own lives are grey and miserable.

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 12:04AM EST
Feb 13, 2013 at 11:55PM EST
Quote

New topic!:

What Mane 6 characters can you relate to in terms of personality and the like?

and/or

What would you do to get to Equestria, if by chance it was real?

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57PM EST
Quote

Lone K.K. Slider wrote:

New topic!:

What Mane 6 characters can you relate to in terms of personality and the like?

and/or

What would you do to get to Equestria, if by chance it was real?

Probably Fluttershy. Not so much in personality as much as being an animal person…or pony in her case.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:01AM EST
Quote

@Windigo

I claim this page for anthro ponies

Last edited Feb 14, 2013 at 12:09AM EST
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:08AM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!