232,831 total conversations in 7,785 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

DeadParrot222 wrote:

This picture is actually pretty funny!
See, AJ is crying because she thinks she lost her hat when it's really been around her neck the whole time!
It's like when people put their glasses on their heads and freakout when they can't see.
AJ ran herself ragged looking for her cherished possession all day and when Big Mac found her, he realized that pointing out her mistake would only make her feel worse.
She'll go to bed and he'll put the hat on the nightstand for her to find in the morning.
There, significant feels averted.
coughdeadparentscough

Kind of a spoiler?
Just a semi-vague tweet from Meghan McCarthy.
<div class=spoiler title=Spoiler?">

Hmm…
it's definitely nice to know that they have plans in the works, but that really sounds like we might be getting a bit of a cliff-hanger tomorrow.
Or, most likely, the finale will be a stand-alone story but with a number of unanswered questions that will be picked up in season four's opener.
And so the long wait begins anew…

That Spoiler… I could have sworn I said something along those lines once, and I thought I was proven wrong… But I guess we didn't expect it to go down that way exactly so… I'm not sure what to think of that.

… Well… May as well discuss the part I didn't guess.

Parts 2+3 next season are probably going to go a lot more into what it means to be a Princess/Alicorn, as well as their history.

And more importantly, what their place in Equestria is. More specifically, what Twilight's Place is.

Okay… Considering the Twilicorn is going to let loose a temporary Floodgate of Alicorn OCs, I think now is a good time to discuss a few general Guidelines for if one is going to use an Alicorn OC.

1: Your Alicorn shouldn't be the daughter of an existing character, specifically an existing Alicorn… That's asking for trouble unless you tell the story of how they were born in the first place.

[Note: I once saw a bad Child of Celestia/Discord, and I was left thinking that I'd rather hear the story of how those two hooked up than Hear about the OC.]

2: Avoid Starting a story with the character already as an Alicorn. Exceptions can be made such as a story of national politics or something that is played dark, but in general, most would rather you just tell us their rise to power first.

3: Assuming your character ascends to Alicorn instead of being born into it. It's probably a good idea to know the general Traits of Mythology. Most myths of Mortal men becoming gods involve some great Trial/Test, or many even. Heck, Twilight has been through a few already, and is preparing for one more. Even if Alicorns aren't gods, since we don't know, the fact is, they seem like it, so that's an important point.

[Note: The one time where I've heard an ascension story where nobody knows what actually happened. The Basic knowledge was that most people DIE doing some Test that is different for everyone. ~99.9999% fail regardless of whether they live or die, and only 3 passed the test. One guy took it as a bet while Drunk and had no recollection of the event. So nobody knew what happened, and few can agree on the circumstances surrounding the bet either. His Holy Symbol is a Pint of Some Alcoholic Brew.]

4: Becoming an Alicorn or God is not something to take lightly, If you think that the character needs to do more to prove their worth, you're probably Right. Compare how Gaining Immortality and Great Power through godhood in Homestuck requires the "players" to reach something akin to the highest level of Mortal Power, and then Get themselves killed and placed on a Stone Bed. That's something you need to take great care of when writing. Not everyone can face their own mortality, regardless of whether they think they're going to gain a new life afterward.

5: If one character can become an Alicorn, some other characters probably have as well. Ideologically opposed probably has done so too at some point. if fact, there may be more than one (But try to keep it low). So it's a good idea introduce a few who have already done so early on, though as before, it's recommended that you explain the hows and whys. Even if an air of mystery surrounds the event, at least give the reader something to consider about this.

6: No character when they are first put on the path to being an Alicorn or God is ready from the start. That's something that it is almost vital to send a point of from the start. So it's a good idea to introduce early the information that the character will become an Alicorn, but make it Crystal Clear that they are nowhere near ready, and they need to do a lot of Growing before then.

7: This is probably the most important point… You WILL have to break your character apart and rebuild them a few times before they ascend. If their main Trait is that they are silly and Naive when starting the quest, they need to learn the gravity of their Quest first, while still being able to have a laugh with their friends. If they have uncanny Luck as their talent, they need to witness extreme Misfortune, and then learn to trust their Luck again. So on, so forth. Point is, they need to reach a certain level of maturity before you can pull an Alicorn on them.

…That's all I've got so far. I'm sure there's an 8th thing, but I don't know what it is.

UnKewln00b wrote:

Anyone doing anything special for Ponyday I mean Saturday? I'm personally having my first pony meet up tomorrow at my place. Having some guys and gals over to watch this pony marathon then watch the season finale…Got my Suit ready for the occasion and I hope to god I hope no one brings a Fedora.

Your house tomorrow

@locks

Yeah, some people are probably gonna hate it no matter what. But I think my disappointment with sombra turning out to be real kind of marred my enjoyed of the first 2 episodes this season so I guess I can't really say anything lol. But now he makes me giggle.

@bulletproof

Curse these page dedications, they drive me to drink!

First of all, late Friday night synctubes are the best. We should do them more often. Second, I hope this episode turns out to be good. I'm so anxious I even had a dream last night about watching the finale. Only fifteen minutes till pony time…

And that's it, and honestly, it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, which of course is not really a big shock.

Now I have something to say…or post in this case. Giving recent events regarding a certain game and certain things that went on in this thread, I've decided to take an indefinite leave of the forums until my mood improves. Not sure when that'll be as my mood is fickle and it could be anywhere between tomorrow and Season 4, but until then, if anyone needs me, they can reach me via my wall or PM

I'll still be posting images and comments in the gallery, but I can't say when I'll be posting in the forum again, so until then, I bid you all fondue.

IT HAPPENED! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!

AND NOW BECAUSE MY BLOOD IN MADE OF CAFFEINE RIGHT NOW! I'M GOING TO GO FOR A RUN AND PROFESS MY LOVE FOR THIS EPISODE TO THE WORLD!

I'LL BE BACK WITH EVERYTHING I HAVE TO SAY ON IT LATER!

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 11:08AM EST

Short story:
Loved it.

Long story:
Loved it a lot. Alicorn now canon, and liquid pride is surely leaking from many tear ducts. Luna smiled too, which automatically made this a good episode for me.

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 11:07AM EST

"Everything is bright in Equestria, because now I'm part of the master race!"

Episode thoughts time.

This is an episode I shall forever remember not as a whole, but as two halves. The first part, with everyone's cutie marks being switched up and Twilight going around fixing them, apart from feeling rushed and annoyingly focusing on Twilight, was actually really enjoyable, and all of the songs were pretty good.

Second half… It just felt so… wrong. I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't say it was poorly executed, but it just… Maybe it was Twilight being so immediately contented with being a princess, maybe it was everyone being happy for her and not feeling even the slightest amount of jealousy, but I just felt like there should have been more. Yeah, Twilight's a princess. Now what? We have to wait until season four to find out? I know I'm beating a dead horse when I complain that they should've got rid of one Spike episode to make this a two-parter, but it really needed to be one. I can't think of a single episode that felt more rushed or left me more dissatisfied at the end. It wasn't a bad episode; I'm not going to parade around heralding the end of the show as we know it, because I rather thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the fact I had to set a million alarms because I slept through the last finale, but it felt like it was missing so much. I was never fully against alicorn Twilight, but I think the concept wasn't given full justice.

But, seriously, overall, my faith in M. A. Larson remains unshaken. He's made me proud with, whatever I said above, a damn good episode.

Great song, or greatest song?

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 11:07AM EST

Aaaaaand I called it. The same people (not you guys, people from other websites) that were screaming DOOM when Alicorn Twilight was first leaked are now praising this new episode and calling it great.
We all knew this was coming, I of course loved the episode lol.

Best episode of Season 3 ever? Probably…maybe.
Loved the songs, the animation, the characters, everything. Honestly, there isn't a single thing wrong with this episode, the pacing was great , a little faster than usual, but it was smooth.
My favorite part would have to be Celestia's song, it was…beautiful.

So
I watched the finale
And it was actually very disappointing.
The plot seemed rushed, and half of the episode just focused on the results of said plot. Also, the whole thing that caused the problem was rushed and confusing, at the same time. They could have just introduced a new villain to cause the cutie mark problem, but nope.

They DO happen to make the Twilacorn situation work though, and the visual effects on this episode were amazing. Music was also great, too. Definitely better than that horrible song known as Raise This Barn. (WHOOPS DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD)

Overall, this sums up how the episode is:
-Musical number
-Encounter (rather confusing) problem
-Musical number x2
-Problem solved
-Twilacorn

This would have been much better if they simply spread it out into a two parter.

Definitely liked the musical aspects, but I don't think you can get around the rushed feeling of the whole thing.
That really was way too much to try to cram into 22 minutes, and I think it showed here more than any other time.
I consider it another case of making the best out of a bad product placement and in that respect, I think they did quite well.
I did love the "Everything is going to be fine!" thrown in at the end as if to reassure the audience that this is not the end of all things.
That was fun.

The bomb has been dropped.

Now to see if it was a dud or a nuke.

@Season 4

@Everyone who liked the episode

I really am surprised that so many people actually liked this episode. Its quality taken by itself was rather poor, and the whole "Twilight alicorn" thing was as weird and awkward as I predicted it would be.

-I didn't like the music.
-The storytelling was even more rushed than usual
-Alicorns got ruined
-There were huge gaps in the logic
-AWKWARD fucking characterization of the ponies in reaction to Twilight.
-I wanted to murder Miss America every single time her stupid cunt was on the screen.

I'll state this all more eloquently when I feel inclined. It didn't ruin the show for me, at least not yet, but I really didn't like it. I guess I am happy that you guys did though.

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 11:27AM EST

Spidervance wrote:

It happened:

Hehe, look at those extra derped eyes. Even she didn't know why we didn't see much of her this season.

Where the fuck are my copious amounts of butthurt
The fandom jackasses gave the impression I would hear the glorious screams of curses being shouted at Hasbro as they plummet 17 stories
But no, it was part of the usual cycle of panic at something they don't even understand yet.
Dammit fandom
What happened to the glorious hate-filled rants I was promised ;_;
Meh, I'll give it a few hours
Maybe then the episode was uploaded to somewhere and I'll judge for myself
Obligatory moon horse:

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 11:23AM EST

Sonata Dusk wrote:

Hehe, look at those extra derped eyes. Even she didn't know why we didn't see much of her this season.

Maybe it'll be revealed that during all of season 3 Derpy was being held hostage in Saddle Arabia.

@The Rushed comments. Guys, this WHOLE SEASON has been rushed, they had only 13 episodes to make. It's quite clear that they wanted to put a lot more in this season but…well couldn't. The fact that people are 'surprised' that this episode felt rushed makes ME surprised, I thought we all knew this season was rushed so we just went with it. Hell this season has been so rushed Big Mac didn't even get his yearly line of actual dialogue.

Spidervance wrote:

It happened:

Hasbro… lost? GLORY TO THE BRONY MASTER RACE!

Anyway, I AM CRYING LIQUID PRIDE. That episode was beautiful. The story, the music, the animation, everything. It was just… epic. 9.5/10, defeats ATLA's "The Crossroads of Destiny" for best animated season finale ever. I will admit, it did feel a wee bit rushed, but hell, I loved it.

Also, in my reaction to the cutie mark fiasco…

@My AJ crying image: Remember how I ship human/pony her with a reformed Jeff The Killer? I think that she found out Jeff went insane. OH GOD THE FEELS ARE COMING- fatality

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

Goddamn it, I woke up late! Guys, where do I find this epic episode!? I'm searching everywhere online and I can't find anything!

Try Equestria Daily before I spoil everything to you!

Low quality embed for you impatient people.

I don't know how I feel about this one. I thought it was… I just really don't know. From the very beginning it felt hyper condensed (which I guess it was). It felt like there were so many songs because the writers needed a way to say "here is what's going on because there's really no other way to tell you without wasting precious alicorn time." But in all honesty, the songs weren't half bad, so I think that's fine.

But still, WE. NEED. MORE. CLOSURE.

Literally this episode is "BAM! Problem, BAM! Solution, BAM! Alicorn, BAM! Credits." What now? What does this mean??? I guess now we wait. Ready your bodies my friends, it's going to be a long summer.

Okay… My heart rate is now manageable… I can now try to not use Canterlock.

This episode had the best way to deal with the rush. Musical numbers! And somehow they made it work.

A number of my theories about the how and why of Twilight being chosen from the start by Celestia to be a Princess have either been confirmed or implied. Unfortunately, Any Starswirl theories I adopted from somewhere are still unproven so far. So I'd probably have to relinquish $5 to the guy who said something many a page ago. But that's okay.

Also, Alicorns practically confirmed as Deities due to the whole Star looking realm thingy, and Twilight is now a God.

Celestia is now Acknowledging Twilight as an Equal. Just a note.

I'm not sure if my memory is faulty, but I think Twilight was the one who actually allowed herself to ascend. Her completed spell, as I suspected, was what seemed to make her an Alicorn. Well… Probably. It's how it looks anyways.

Also, Twilight isn't acting all that different. Just… Relatively humbled that she's being allowed this privilege.

Rainbow Dash's Reaction to Twilight's new wings is to be expected. New flying partner… And for that… I can Only say one thing….

I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT!

The only thing I found odd about the episode was that Pinkie Pie somehow didn't know how to do anything involving farming AT ALL! despite having grown up on a rock farm.

Now… I need to rest and relieve Twelve bottles worth of Pepsi that are passing through my system… And some other stuff…

Also… Why is the room spinning?

Final word? Congratulations! Best Episode EVER! Also, survived another disaster.

13 out of 10!

@ZeroBlue

No, it looked like the wings were entirely Celestia's doing, which is one of the many weird things about it… But more about all that later. I have something you guys should totally watch.

This feels strangely familiar…

Luna Protege wrote:

Okay… My heart rate is now manageable… I can now try to not use Canterlock.

This episode had the best way to deal with the rush. Musical numbers! And somehow they made it work.

A number of my theories about the how and why of Twilight being chosen from the start by Celestia to be a Princess have either been confirmed or implied. Unfortunately, Any Starswirl theories I adopted from somewhere are still unproven so far. So I'd probably have to relinquish $5 to the guy who said something many a page ago. But that's okay.

Also, Alicorns practically confirmed as Deities due to the whole Star looking realm thingy, and Twilight is now a God.

Celestia is now Acknowledging Twilight as an Equal. Just a note.

I'm not sure if my memory is faulty, but I think Twilight was the one who actually allowed herself to ascend. Her completed spell, as I suspected, was what seemed to make her an Alicorn. Well… Probably. It's how it looks anyways.

Also, Twilight isn't acting all that different. Just… Relatively humbled that she's being allowed this privilege.

Rainbow Dash's Reaction to Twilight's new wings is to be expected. New flying partner… And for that… I can Only say one thing….

I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT! I SHIP IT!

The only thing I found odd about the episode was that Pinkie Pie somehow didn't know how to do anything involving farming AT ALL! despite having grown up on a rock farm.

Now… I need to rest and relieve Twelve bottles worth of Pepsi that are passing through my system… And some other stuff…

Also… Why is the room spinning?

Final word? Congratulations! Best Episode EVER! Also, survived another disaster.

13 out of 10!

Pinkie was a rock farmer, I think rocks and apples are two completely different things throws an apple at you and takes a bite out of a rock

Wow….look at those comments. "I didn't like this episode, I'm not a brony anymore" "She used a spell she didn't know how to do, this episode just ruined the entire series for me" comments saying the episode was great are being downvoted and marked as spam…there really are times when I just don't get this fandom.

Last edited Feb 16, 2013 at 12:23PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!