Forums / General

195,800 total conversations in 5,393 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10,167 conversations with 235 participants

@Eye Color
To this day, I have yet to see anyone actually ‘rage’ over Vinyl’s canon eye color.
90% of the conversation is just people saying ‘Oh my God, people are going to freak out about this!’ and the other 10% is everyone saying they don’t care.
Basically, everyone was screaming about the approaching fanon apocalypse that never came.
The worst I’ve seen is Sparty’s reaction: ‘I still like red better, but whatever.’ (My thoughts as well.)
So let’s all stop pretended that there is some issue here and go back to just enjoying the kick-ass art!

Jul 30, 2012 at 10:58PM EDT
Quote

Well, since Fridge brought up OC’s:

SO FREAKING ADORABLE!


And I suppose I should answer my own question:

Personally, I prefer the magenta eyes. I just feel that red doesn’t fit in with the rest of her coat and it seems a bit too dark to be on a pony in the show.

As for the rest, I think they can do whatever they want with the eye color. As long as they’re not doing so as an act of rebellion against Hasbro. Which is very unlikely, so I really don’t care.


Exudes Affluence wrote:

That pleases me so much. Fuck playing as Celestia, though, I just want the Wonderbolts as a unit. I really should start playing that game again.

That’s her special unit, actually. Instead of fighters, she gets Wonderbolts, which uses horses instead of oil.

Also, stables are replaced with recruiting offices which provides another horse and doesn’t need any horses nearby to build. And her special ability is minus 20% unhappiness. All that sounds overpowered, but I’m not complaining. Ponies.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:17PM EDT
Quote

Blue eyes are Best Eyes

Also, Octavia is Best Pone.


It wasn’t as much of a problem as I had anticipated, so, as per usual, I’ll side with DeadParrot. I think most of the remarks I hear are about the troubles people are expecting to see. It wasn’t like Derpy, where fans thought that they were getting shafted or anything.

And give bronies some credit. They really responded as well as you can with the Lyra Plushie thing. I think they’re/we’re starting to “grow up” as a fandom, so perhaps we’ll continue to get better about dealing with potential problems.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:56PM EDT
Quote

Nathan wrote:

I am VERY pissed off… some faggot got a hold my lol and posted it onto 9gag, edited.

As much as I understand you dislike to see your image posted on 9gag, I have to call overreacting on this.

For starters, a large part of your dislike is probably because it’s 9gag. If it was posted on Reddit, Tumbrl, KYM, perhaps even some random 4chan board, I’m sure you wouldn’t mind. But now that it was posted on 9gag, it’s a problem. I’m not a huge fan of the site, but a large part of the hate that site is receiving makes no sense. Read this post I made in a thread discussing it for more detail.

But ok, leaving 9gag behind us. Why do you post a picture on the internet? To share it with others of course. When putting something online that will most likely be received well, you always have to take the fact into consideration that others will share it. Hell, you even shared another thing with us in that exact same post.

My apologies for this type of response, it just happens when I see arguments that make no sense to me.


@Vinyl’s eyes.

Here’s my response: Why care?

The character didn’t have any canon eyes before the Season 2 finale. The original character wore shades. People just used their own opinion on it. With her looks and hair, plus her job as a disk jockey, her eye color became generally accepted as red. People just thought it went well.

However, in the early days, purple vs. red was a normal discussion with Vinyl’s eye color. Red was generally accepted as the more cool and radical color. It went well with the character (plus there was a very small fad at the time of Vinyl being a vampire because of her white coat, which went better with red eyes). Purple was more based on the color of her shades. Makes sense, giving her a similar eye color like the shades. Plus being a softer color, it mixed better with her coat and mane, instead of jumping out so much like red.

The official color eventually became more like magenta, which is pretty close to purple, but still more pink. So even if Hasbro didn’t make it red, they still did a good job at listening to the fandom imo. Most of the artists who go with canon now commonly tone here color down a bit to match more with the original fandom secondary choice.

But why does it even matter. 99% of the character is fandom related. If an artist wants her eyes green in his image, who are we to stop him. In the end, it’s still a matter of opinions. Not to forget something so trivial I don’t even know why I typed up this post.





:3






If I had to pick, I’d say blue fits her the best. It blends well with both her coat and mane. Without the shades, there is no purple to break the color.


But let’s continue here:

We’re saying people are overreacting over the entire Vinyl eyecolor thing. Pretty trivial without doubt, no actual reason to discuss it.

But here I have to point out the irony. Because numerous times, even each time a new member posts here, we get people saying “Never mention the Derpy incident hurrdurr”.

I agree, the discussions we had surrounding that topic were really bad, not something you’d like to make happen a second time. It’s a legit reason to avoid a topic, avoiding shitstorms.

But that is the same reason people often avoid the eye color discussion, to avoid shitstorms. Of course, the Derpy voice thing is something bigger than some eye color. But it’s still a trivial thing if you think about it. Like Vinyl, Derpy is 99% fan created, more even, being just background instead of a small disk jockey role. Like Vinyl, Hasbro gave Derpy a mentioning in the show, a vocal part even. However, let’s not forget the voice actor made the mistake of thinking she was male, therefore giving her an incorrect voice from the start. But of course, something like an accidental incorrect voice shouldn’t matter for someone like Derpy right? Right?

But then Hasbro got into trouble for it. Whether this was with good reason or not I won’t discuss in this post, as it’s not the topic (overall I still think they had good reason, but even more overall I simply don’t care what her voice is). So they changed her voice and re-uploaded the episode.

The shitstorms following to that over the entire brony fandom are something I don’t need to repeat, we’ve all seen them.

But now that it’s several months old, don’t you people think it’s time to step over it? If you are a true fan of the show, something like that should do nothing to you. If you can survive the shit bronies often receive, you should easily be able to survive something like that. So what is stopping you from discussing it? The character itself won’t change. All the fanart created of her doesn’t include a voice, so why argue over it? All the flashes and videos with Derpy speaking use fan recorded voices. Literally none of them are the same to either of the canon voices. So why bother with the actual two canon voices when she has over 100 different voices in fan-created content?

So what is stopping us from discussing it? We should be able to, instead of just digging a deep hole, throw the facts in there and fence off all the information surrounding it, hoping it will never see the daylight again.

So here I present a new topic: What do you think about Derpy’s canon voice, both of them?

Personally, I liked the original voice better. The accidental boyish tone really went well with the character in my opinion. A derp action in combination with a derp like character, an accident that turned out great. Nonetheless, I still like her new voice.


(How close am I to that character limit!?!?)


Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:12AM EDT
Quote

Did we ever actually have an argument here (somewhere on KYM) over what eye color that Vinyl should have? If we did, either I never saw it or I do not remember. As Deadparrot pointed out; the most I recall is that everyone here was like this:

GET READY FOR THE SHITSTORM GUIZE!…ANY TIME NOW…IT’S COMINGDIS GONNA BE GOODYEAANY TIME NOW…”

…and that was pretty much it. That was the only reaction the scenario ever got. On a serious note people were either this:

Or this:

I never saw page after page of people expressing their distraught at the situation, rallying petitions or writing up huge long arguments and explanations. I saw no flamewars or trolling accusations, no sleuthing or any major news events. Perhaps most importantly: nothing seemed to change. So comparing Vinyls eye color to the Derpy Incident seems a little inaccurate to me.

As much as we anticipated people to care, I don’t think anyone ever did. They either went with the canon eye color or just ignored the canon if they didn’t like it. The same cannot be said of the Derpy incident. That was a whole different ball game

PS: I like Vinyls canon magenta eye color, it suits her much better than red IMO. But really, who cares?


Now to answer Randomman

@Random

What do you think about Derpy’s canon voice, both of them?

Initially I saw no big deal with either. But admittedly the first rendition was not quite what I imagined. It was a little slower than I expected. Somehow I knew it would make some people cringe (and I was right)

I liked the second rendition better. It had more girlishness in it and was bubblier. A little closer to the voice I always imaged Derpy to use. I hope they continue using it

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 12:49AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:38AM EDT
Quote

Random wrote:

We’re saying people are overreacting over the entire Vinyl eyecolor thing. Pretty trivial without doubt, no actual reason to discuss it.

But here I have to point out the irony. Because numerous times, even each time a new member posts here, we get people saying “Never mention the Derpy incident hurrdurr”.

Really, I just wanted to get the thread off the image dump, so I suggested a topic based on recent events on Derpibooru to try to get some discussion going.

And I admit that I’m usually the one to tell people not to talk about Derpy, and I’m sorry. Horribly so. I admit my lack of faith in some of the people here was unjust (and immature), and I believe that we can have a civilized discussion about it.


Anyways, if you want my view on it:

I feel that both sides are to blame. I think that on one hand, bronies went a bit too far in the resulting paranoia, but on the other, bronies had some right to be a bit hurt and Hasbro really should have communicated more what was going on.

As stated above, I believe bronies had a right to be a little upset. Derpy was their creation, and seeing her in the show in her unadulterated glory was great. But then, she got taken away for untold circumstances. To put this in perspective, if you recieved a birthday/christmas gift that you would consider to be one of the most thoughtful things you’ve recieved, and had it taken away with no explanation, of course you’d be upset. The whole thing died down when one of the staff (McCarthy I think, I don’t know whom exactly) made a public announcement about it, but they should have done it much, much earlier. It left people to use their imaginations, and like in all of these situations, people thought the worst. And like I said, Derpy was our creation, and so thinking our creation was offensive left a lot of people hurt.

As for our side, we went way too far. Several of the animation staff (including this one) were complaining about hate mail they received, and some wanted to quit their job. And if I recall correctly, the whole thing went for about two weeks. I would think that would be enough time for some people to realize “Hey, maybe this isn’t too bad”, but it continued in full force.

Once again, I’m sorry about some of my previous behavior. I really am. Most of us responded pretty well to the voice change (from what I recall), so I have full confidence in this threads ability to discuss the topic in a calm fashion.


Related art:

D’awwwww

Edit: I like her old voice. It fit, and I thought it was cute. The new one is just too generic and a bit awkward. I.E., it looks too much like it was quickly thrown in.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 01:09AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:40AM EDT
Quote

@Blue Screen

Presenting it like that, I was incorrect on certain points.

Nonetheless, I will stay true to my point on people avoiding the Derpy incident. And I will try to see if people have the balls to discuss it again. You can’t keep hiding forever, the facts won’t change.


@Kairos

Correct, Derpy was the fandom’s pony. We created the character from scratch with nothing more than her looks and derp eyes.

However, the topic that caused all the problem was the voice. And the voice given to her in canon episodes is Hasbro’s department, not ours. We can help and cheer when we get noted, but we don’t own the show yet. As I said, the show gave her only 2 voices, while the fan created content gave her numerous more voices.

Nonetheless, it’s like you say, having something you created be marked as offensive for unexplained reasons is really shit. Hasbro could’ve saved both their company and the bronies so much trouble if they just communicated better. But same goes with the bronies. Hasbro has been great to us all this time, so why attack them like that. We trusted them in the past, so we should’ve been able to trust them and their decision as well back then. Perhaps we weren’t given a reason from the start, but we knew it would come eventually.

In the end, it was just the heat of the moment I guess.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 12:52AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

Hiyo. This brony (by which I mean myself) has been in the Canadian Rockies for the past couple of weeks. I’m more or less up to date with Bronycon and the fandom, but what’s happened with the KYM bronies I have come to know and love while I was away?

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:00AM EDT
Quote

@Random

I am not afraid at all to discuss the Derpy incident. I simply feel that enough has been said of it already. After all the discussions we have has so far, what is left to agree/disagree upon? I think Kairos already summed up the basics of the situation

The last time it was brought up I didn’t want to discuss it because I was tired of having the discussion so many damn times. Not because I feared any potential shitstorm.

Let’s face it. It is a LOOOOONG story and there is so much to write about it. I really was not up to the task of writing it all over again.

PS: My answer to your question is in my previous post. I got ninja’d while editing it in there


@ATA

Explaining what goes on in this thread is like explaining the plot of Homestuck. It cannot be done. The only way to understand is to read from the beginning

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 01:05AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT
Quote

@Eye color nonsense

VInyl Scratch is a musician. Light waves are not the waves we care about. People seem perfectly happy casting her as some hardcore electronica DJ when all the canon sources show her playing music that’s a far cry from that noise, yet no one lets that get in the way of fanonizing portraying her as some dubstep playing vagabound. Just color her eyes however you want so long as it looks good and people have no right to complain.

Personally I prefer the shade of purple they use in epic wub time, but it’s all good.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:44AM EDT
Quote

@Geez, something is canonized and we still can’t agree

That being said, I’m personally partial to Vinyl with blue eyes. Red eyes are just… too much. Red eyes just carry too many negative connotations, and are just something that should be used sparingly and to great effect, such as on a villain. They didn’t give all the Sith red lightsabers for nothing.

So magenta isn’t a whole lot more normal, but it’s been nicely toned down, while generally staying in stride with the fandom. I’ll take magenta over red.

That’s my eye color criteria. If it ain’t the color of a Jedi lightsaber, it’s too much. One Jedi gets a purple lightsaber, one pony can have purple yes.

Three cheers for keeping in the theme of the thread!

Can you believe I couldn’t find a ponyfied Mace Windu?

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 01:57AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 01:55AM EDT
Quote

No more hiding in fear of Derpy?
YAY!

Glad to see someone broach the subject as it really was weird to have it as the one untouchable thing on an otherwise open and sensible board.
Like Random said, I think we should all be mature enough to talk about it rationally, but like BSoD said, I really don’t think there’s much left to be said.
Kairos basically wrote the gist of it all and I have to largely agree.
I’m not sure I would go so far as to say that Derpy was ‘our creation’ outright, more of a joint venture with the show staff which made her all the more fun.
The primary cause of the craziness was the total information blackout, though.
The episode aired, bronies everywhere crapped their pants in shock and delight, then two or three days later, the episode disappears off of Itunes and The Hub’s rotation without any official explanation.
Imaginations ran wild for, what? Almost two weeks before anyone spoke up?

As for the particular voice, I’ll say that I’m a little split.
I can’t help liking the original simply because it is so closely tied to the memory of hearing her speak for the first time and the jaw-dropping surprise I felt at the time.
Hearing that live at 5 a.m. made me laugh like a madman for at least five minutes out of pure giddy astonishment because I was completely convinced that she would never talk in canon.
I was gloriously wrong.
The second voice is closer to what I would have imagined it should have been from the beginning, though.
A bit higher pitched and… bubbly, really.
But you can definitely tell that it was recorded in a hurry because the general sound quality just doesn’t stack up to the rest of the show.
Honestly, I’ve kinda fallen in love with BaldDumboRat’s Derpy voice more than either of the canon options.
If Derpy never speaks again, I’ll take her fan work as my ‘headcanon’ as it were.

@Fifths

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 02:00AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 01:57AM EDT
Quote

Pretty much, I feel if it is canon it is doctrine.

Vinyl’s eyes, they’re Magenta, no amount of fanart or bulls**t excuses can make that any less true within the context of the show and by extension the fandom. The only good kind of fanon is the kind that is incapable of stepping on the toes of the show and will always adapt to the changing environment.

That said, I don’t think the second version of Derpy is canon. It’s just a case of censorship and doesn’t reflect the intentions of the writers and other staff that made the episode.

Also, @Pyro:

I thought we’ve been PAST this crap for a year now!

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 02:52AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 02:48AM EDT
Quote

@Gigatoast
Well, excuse ME for sharing some nicely done FANON art that has nothing to do with canon at all.
I am well aware of canon, thank you very much
Might as well just stop posting here all together if every time I share something you’re going to yell at me just because you don’t agree with it.
Getting pissed at some fanon speculation is not going to help you at all.
As far as I’m concerned, you wasted time and effort looking for that reaction image and editing your post. Highly unproductive.
The point of fanon speculation is supposed to be imagination. You’re an artist, you should know this already. I also find it a bit hypocritical that you dislike fanon yet you’re running a fanon-based Tumblr.
That’s kinda sad.
Fanon doesn’t hurt anything, so why get worked up over it. Like I said before, it just wastes time and energy.
In short:
That is a not so excellent point, kind sir.
Now allow me to offer this rebuttle:
You are a hypocritical idiot who has too much of an ego
Kindly take it somewhere among your own asshat kind and away from people trying to enjoy themselves.
Rook to E7
Rook Takes Queen.
Your move

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:45AM EDT
Quote


Let’s go ahead and tone this down by a lot, okay?
If you guys are going to have disagreements on canon/fanon stuff, keep it civil or don’t do it at all.
(I do find it a little funny that we finally started talking about Derpy here and it’s a Luna picture that causes crap.)

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:51AM EDT
Quote

Alright everyone, let’s not let this get out of hand.

@Giga

Just let fanon do as it does. There really is no reason to be upset over it. It’s not going to hurt you in any way.

Jul 31, 2012 at 04:17AM EDT
Quote

@Gigatoast and Pyro

Dafuq? Okay you two, settle down and lets sort this out like gentlemen

Firstly, Gigatoast: What are you objecting against? Fanon? If you just disagree with that, you came off way too strongly.

You clearly offended Pyro so need to explain your disapproval in much better terms

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 04:32AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 04:27AM EDT
Quote

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

@Gigatoast and Pyro

Dafuq? Okay you two, settle down and lets sort this out like gentlemen

Firstly, Gigatoast: What are you objecting against? Fanon? If you just disagree with that, you came off way too strongly.

You clearly offended Pyro so need to explain your disapproval in much better terms

Nononono… I wasn’t talking about fanon in general, I LOVE fanon, I run a bleedin’ fanon based Tumblr.

I was talking about how much it annoys me when people cling to their fanon to the point where they consider it above the factuality of the show. Especially when it’s about stupid things like a character’s name or (for god’s sake) the slight variation of a character’s eye color. Fanon is not supposed to be an alternate version of the show’s canon, it’s meant to fill in the cracks and establish characters within the same context that the show is in.

If fanon gets killed, then so be it, call batman because the fanon is deeeeaaaaad. Unless its creator finds a way to adapt it to the new information presented to us then it is rendered completely inaccurate. That’s not to say there can’t be alternate universe concepts or ‘what-if’ scenarios, but you can’t criticize Hasbro for not adhering to something you made up.

As for Pyro, I remember before season 2 started there was a massive surplus of Luna weepypasta that made me hate the character in the first place. Then “Luna Eclipsed” happened and she became a very very different character then what people had come up with before, and I loved it. Seeing that kind of stuff again after all this time fills me with some kinda primal rage, it’s hard to explain.

Anyway, that awkwardness aside my Tumblr has reached over 100 followers (well, technically it reached it last week, but I’ve finally got around to updating it again) and to celebrate I’ve updated my logo, now with 100% more actual Screwball!

Jul 31, 2012 at 05:33AM EDT
Quote
It annoys me when people cling to their fanon to the point where they consider it above the factuality of the show. Especially when it’s about things like a character’s name or the slight variation of a character’s eye color. Fanon is not supposed to be an alternate version of the show’s canon, it’s meant to fill in the cracks and establish characters within the same context that the show is in.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I liked old Vinyl Scratch artwork with red eyes, but I dislike new art that still does it. It just seems silly. Some of you brought up the point that you can change Rarity’s hairstyle, or that DJ PON-3 never plays dubstep in the show. But many musicians like music outside of the genre they perform. And hairstyles can be changed easily on a whim; but when I wake up tomorrow, I’m still going to have the same eyes. Artistic expression is fine, but I think there is a line between that and clinging to dead fanon. Drawing Vinyl with red eyes at this point just comes off as the latter. I dislike it because it strikes me as a bit petty, coming off as a “my idea is still better” directed at the artists who are actually responsible for the character. There are some exceptions, such as the comics with changelings masquerading as Vinyl with a slightly different eye color. THAT was artistic. It drew off of both the canonization AND the fandom, in a manner that doesn’t grate against what is already canonized. Also, it was funny!

Also, I’ve never seen her with blue eyes before. I like it! Honestly, I would have gone with those if I were Hasbro. But magenta is still a fine choice.

@Gigatoast

Please take other’s opinions into account next time before posting. While you may not like Pyro’s post, it doesn’t break any rules, it is on topic, and he has all the right to share it. If you don’t like it, just ignore it and move on. Please don’t say anything that could come off as antagonizing.

Congratulations on surpassing 100 followers! Your Tumblr is humorous, well-illustrated, and very deserving of it. :) And the new header looks great.

@Derpy discussion

I preferred her original voice. It sounded a bit off, but the story behind it (Tabitha’s derp, thinking it was a boy) was funny, doubly so considering the character’s origins as a background goof-up. I was disappointed to see it replaced, but not surprised.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 06:30AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 06:29AM EDT
Quote

>mfw Derpygate, Vinyl eyes, Luna fanon, etc. etc. etc.

I totally kid.

Actually, it is just as I thought. These subjects need not be avoided by us, we all know how to behave ourselves. Even when there is a little hiccup like the one about Luna up there, we’re fine as long as we recognize what’s going on and make that plea for reasonable responses like you all have.

I agree with the sentiment several of you have mentioned about the illusory eye color “controversy”. Very few people actually cared all that much; some people were a tad disappointed and said they preferred red, others embraced the canon magenta. I don’t recall anyone hating on the show’s creators for not making Vinyl’s eyes perfectly red like it was in fanon. I do recall some fans getting a little uptight as though people were hating on the animators, but I just never saw any of that.

That being said, I always liked the red color myself. I’m okay with magenta, and if I ever draw Scratch I’ll probably be using Dash’s eye color just like Sibsy said it was. However, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with artists who continue to use red eyes. Complaining about the continued use of red would be no different than complaining about artists who draw other non-canon shtuff, like R34, for example. I routinely see everyone defending that kind of fanon, even that accursed Princest stuff. It completely flies in the face of canon, but hey--artistic license, right? If red eyes look cool to you, than by Jove, use red.


As for Derpy, seeing a little open discussion about that incident is actually quite a relief. I could see us wanting to avoid conversations getting too heated, but it’s been plenty long enough since that little crisis happened. Being unafraid to mention it is a good sign that emotions regarding the issue (from both ends) are much tamer now. That’s great, because that episode in our history is rather significant, and we certainly can’t just ignore it forever.

I don’t know if you all noticed, but it seemed as though mention of Derpy herself dropped off considerably after Derpygate, just because people wanted to avoid arguments. Since her character was essentially brought to life by bronies, and the willingness of the show’s creators to embrace those fans, Derpy has always represented something kind of special to me. When her popularity took a hit in response to the controversy, I though that was a real pity, so again, it’s nice to see a little daylight on these subjects.

About her voice. I initially didn’t like her canon voice all that much, but I was so excited by her first big role that I didn’t mind. Then when I learned how she came by that voice, I thought it was hilarious, and I must say it grew on me. Then they went and changed it, and to be honest I don’t care much for the newer one. It’s just too generic for my taste. I must say I do disagree with Hasbro’s decision to change that scene, but I’ve never held it against them; they merely did what they thought was in their best interest.

But you can’t keep a good Derp down, so let the Derpyness ride once more.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 07:21AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 07:15AM EDT
Quote

@Gigatoast

Okay we might have a bit of a mix up here. I was not questioning your point about fanon, I totally agreed with you on this part:

Pretty much, I feel if it is canon it is doctrine.

Like Jackal, I totally agree to let canon be canon. That’s why as far as I am concerned; Vinyls eyes are totally and utterly magenta.

Artists can say she looks nice with other colors and depict her differently from canon, it doesn’t ruin the art for me if they do that. But at the end of the day; magenta.

Instead my response to you was towards this part:

I thought we’ve been PAST this crap for a year now!

That’s what I was curious about and I believe Pyro misinterpreted it and took it rather personally. I mentioned fanon only because I saw Bob mention it as well so I thought your backlash against Pyro had something to do with fanon but honestly I didn’t have a clue.

In any case, so what you are saying is that you get a rather hostile knee-jerk reaction towards highly emotional Luna sadfic/art because it used to be an over-saturated trope and that’s what your reply to Pyro was really about.

Well, we all have our pet peeves so I suppose that’s understandable. But while I’m not going to do anything about that, I’m just going remind you that Pyro and Luna are somewhat close. I believe he is quite passionate about all that art which you don’t quite so like. So just be a bit more careful.


Anyway congratulations on your new hoard of followers! The new header looks fantastic.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 08:03AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 08:01AM EDT
Quote

I agree with the points made above about the difference between canon and fanon. As much as you love your headcanon, it will never become actual canon. So there is no need to keep telling yourself it’s the true way Hasbro should go.

However, I am a bit more milder in that than the people above me. I see the canon more as guidelines. They’re the facts and scenarios presented to us by the show. They give us a basic of the character and how we can take them.

But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t allow artist interpretation. Fanon is still fanon, and people should be left free in what they find good fanon and with what they like to stick to canon. If a person prefers a Vinyl with red eyes even though canon tells otherwise, then so be it. He likes it and he is still the artist, so who are we to force him not to.

We know everyone has different fanon interpretations. Like Giga, I’m not much of a fan of the Luna weepypasta (@Blue Screen: Pyro and NM are somewhat “close”, not Luna). Then again, I’m not a fan of most weepypasta.

But that doesn’t mean I hate all fanon interpretations. Unlike others, I really love the whole Trollestia/Molestia personality, even though others rather stick with normal Celestia. Both personalities aren’t canon, but that doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to like them. Remember that Pinkamena is still fanon. The whole cupcakes scenario involving Pinkamena as well.

But at the end of the day, they’re still Celestia and Pinkie Pie. I see no reason to let myself believe otherwise. Those personalities given to them by the fandom are just popular, but they’re far from canon. And no matter how much a person wants to believe otherwise, it doesn’t change the facts. There is no reason to believe in false facts.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 10:13AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:08AM EDT
Quote

Another major corporation has gone all pony on us!
Pizza Hut posted Pinkie on their Facebook page.
SOURCE

Apparently, you can now get ponies on delivery!
Pizza pony time!

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:50PM EDT
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Another major corporation has gone all pony on us!
Pizza Hut posted Pinkie on their Facebook page.
SOURCE

Apparently, you can now get ponies on delivery!
Pizza pony time!

Its really a pity that I don’t like Pizza Hut… their pizza tastes it was made on an assembly line.

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:13PM EDT
Quote

@ RandomMan

/Sigh… what can I say… I got pretty rustled for the first time ever on the internet…

Well, I"M going to share with you guys yet another thing, Now that i got Sony vegas I’ve been messing around. I made two videos, here’s one.




And the other isn’t pony related, but imo slightly better. Spongebob does Skrillex

Jul 31, 2012 at 01:49PM EDT
Quote

Ah yes, finally finished season 2. It was good. Now time to do other things…but I have some questions on The Cutie Mark Chronicles. Maybe I should just rewatch that episode to get a better opinion on the show (this is for research purposes:) )

Jul 31, 2012 at 03:28PM EDT
Quote

Pizza Hut just went 9000 points up in my respect level. Their pizza isn’t half bad actually, and it’s a whole lot cheaper than other stores, so. That lumpy thing looks disgusting, but if you can get a free Pinkie with it, maybe, just maybe…

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:27PM EDT
Quote

About the whole derpy thing, I realized something a while back. I didn’t give a shit really about the derpy scene. I find it funny that I only started caring when they changed the voice. I just was kind of upset because I thought people were being overly sensitive. Honestly though, she seemed borderline retarded and wall eyed. That kind of joke would have been fine on adult swim or comedy central, but not a little kids show. I guess I let my own views get in the way of what other people might find offensive. It really was in poor taste and I can easily see how many people would find that offensive. Sorry derpy, but I prefer the new voice now and I would like you to stay as a where’s Waldo type of character. Nothing more.

About her voices, I like the first one because she seems slow and it’s funny cuz she’s dumb Lololol.
But I think the second one is more appropriate.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 07:20PM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 07:16PM EDT
Quote

Gigatoast wrote:

Nononono… I wasn’t talking about fanon in general, I LOVE fanon, I run a bleedin’ fanon based Tumblr.

I was talking about how much it annoys me when people cling to their fanon to the point where they consider it above the factuality of the show. Especially when it’s about stupid things like a character’s name or (for god’s sake) the slight variation of a character’s eye color. Fanon is not supposed to be an alternate version of the show’s canon, it’s meant to fill in the cracks and establish characters within the same context that the show is in.

If fanon gets killed, then so be it, call batman because the fanon is deeeeaaaaad. Unless its creator finds a way to adapt it to the new information presented to us then it is rendered completely inaccurate. That’s not to say there can’t be alternate universe concepts or ‘what-if’ scenarios, but you can’t criticize Hasbro for not adhering to something you made up.

As for Pyro, I remember before season 2 started there was a massive surplus of Luna weepypasta that made me hate the character in the first place. Then “Luna Eclipsed” happened and she became a very very different character then what people had come up with before, and I loved it. Seeing that kind of stuff again after all this time fills me with some kinda primal rage, it’s hard to explain.

Anyway, that awkwardness aside my Tumblr has reached over 100 followers (well, technically it reached it last week, but I’ve finally got around to updating it again) and to celebrate I’ve updated my logo, now with 100% more actual Screwball!

Yes, in fact, I can criticize Hasbro for not adhering to something that I made up. If I think up a brilliant piece of fanon and the original show contradicts it with something of lesser material, then my jimmies will officially be rustled. It’s not a matter of expecting Hasbro to do what I decided because I am fan, hear me roar, it’s a matter of expecting Hasbro to make the best show they can.

What I’m saying is that while I have no right to expect a show to bow to the will of the fans just because they’re fans, I do have a reason to demand high quality ideas and criticize them when they aren’t delivered. That’s the audience’s job, to critique and decide if they like works presented to them.

I do however completely agree that badass shouty Luna beats the hell out of all the fanon of her being some mopey sot.

That’s just great. Luna eclipsed is definately my favorite episode now that I think about it. We need to see more Luna.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 08:00PM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 07:35PM EDT
Quote

@Fifths

To be honest, this goes back to what Jackal said about being conceited in one’s fanon. While you have every right to expect quality from the show, you can’t expect them to cater to your every whim, and besides, did magenta eyes lower the show’s quality at all? You might feel that red eyes were a better idea, but you have no right to say that anything short of that lowers the quality. Sticking to your fanon when it clashes with canon, even though everyone and their brother might agree that your fanon is better, is little better than complaining that your favorite candidate didn’t win the election.

You’re more than welcome to do it, but don’t expect it to get anywhere, don’t be obnoxious about it and don’t get in anyone’s way.

And did you people say that carnivore Pinkie Pie isn’t canon?

Unrelated: Just playing Slender whilst mucking about in Flash

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 10:00PM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 09:59PM EDT
Quote

@Derpy Discussion

I remember this entire thing just fatiguing me more than anything else. It was such a nice little nod for studio B to throw in and should have just been left at that. Everything was cool and everyone was happy.

Then some assholes had to go ruin everything because they decided they had to be offended. The creators were made miserable, the studio was made miserble, and the bronies were made miserable all because some stupid ignorant fucks decided that anything that they can even loosely interpret as not politically correct must be terminated. It pisses me off just because how unneccesary this shit was, the Derpy scene was not offensive. No, this isn’t just my opinion, it was philosophically fucking impossible for that scene to be considered meaningfully offensive.

One thing cannot meanigfully refer to another thing unless there is some agent intending the reference. The string of words “All black people are monkeys and should be burned. Heil Hitler!” is just a series of sounds and visual symbols. They only becomes meaningful and offensive when the neo-nazi fuck who says them does so with intention to communicate his low opinion of black people. I am not offended by the word “nigger”, I am offended by the ignorance and malignant hatred of the fuck who uses it.

When the Derpy scenes were made, there was no intent on any of the creators’ parts to voice a low opinion on the mentally disabled or even to make any comment whatsoever on them. The message intended was “Look at the silly pony, isn’t she clumsy and cute?” There was absolutely no malice here and any interpretation of the scene as offensive was projected completely by those who chose to be offended. Unfortunately, Hasbro decided to validate these idiots by taking the scene out as if it were legitimately offensive. This was cowardly and slimey I think, but I understand why Hasbro did it.

In today’s culture, what a person says they intend with a certain message doesn’t matter anymore. We live in a democracy where everyone’s opinion on everything holds equal merrit, even when it’s an opinion on a matter of fact. It’s impossible for someone to misinerpret something anymore because all interpretations are equally valid. Welcome to the utopia of subjective whims!

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:31PM EDT
Quote

My opinion on every controversial thing that has ever happened in this fandom:

I seriously could not give a single flying feather less about Derpy, Vinyl, or anything.

Also, I’m too lazy to read anything anyone has said about anything today, but imagine everyone feels about the same or so…? That’s what my skimming tells me.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:37PM EDT
Quote

@Fifths

I have to disagree with you on that. Looking at the facts, Hasbro did have good reason to change it. Verbose even made a post so long once about it that he had to put it into a Google docs, where he went as far as using the racism card.

Correct, the creators never intended to make Derpy offensive, they just wanted to make a shout-out to the bronies. But that doesn’t mean others won’t find it offensive. When you shoot a rabbit for eating the cabbages in your kitchen garden or set up a mole trap to fight moles fucking up your garden, it makes sense to some people, you of course don’t want your garden fucked up. But I doubt PETA will walk by and go “It’s cool”. Nope, they will fight it. Stupid as something may see, from certain points of view something can always be offensive. The law is a powerful weapon if used correctly, and I doubt the judge would listen to “Yeah, these bunch of males who happen to love MLP created that character and we wanted to give them something”. Hasbro just chose the safe way out, which is a good choice.

But at the end of the day, what was done is done. You can’t change it so why bother.

Last edited Jul 31, 2012 at 11:54PM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:47PM EDT
Quote

@Fifths

I do have a reason to demand high quality ideas and criticize them when they aren’t delivered

You make it sound like we are watching a Universal Studio’s film directed by Peter Jackson where we paid $18.95 tickets to watch

Then some assholes had to go ruin everything because they decided they had to be offended. The creators were made miserable, the studio was made miserble, and the bronies were made miserable all because some stupid ignorant fucks decided that anything that they can even loosely interpret as not politically correct must be terminated. It pisses me off just because how unneccesary this shit was, the Derpy scene was not offensive.

Yea, that’s how I felt when the drama first struck. It just didn’t make sense to me why someone would go out of their way to take exception to something so insignificant. I didn’t even know a single mentally disabled person that ever had a problem, so who was complaining? People who just thought there would be a problem? Just thinking about that potential white knighting still frustrates me.

Verbose’s epic TL;DR helped a lot. I recommend finding it and taking a look. One of the strongest points he used is that the word “Derp” was in fact being used as an offensive term in some locations. Couple that with a character that displayed all the negative connotations associated with Derp and you have a recipe for gross offense

Once I learned that, it becomes pretty clear why Hasbro had to do what they did. It was not meaningless pandering to flag raisers. They had to listen to the formal complaints they got and so what was done is what needed to be done. Slowly, my jimmies began to de-rustle


@Dac

Sorry derpy, but I prefer the new voice now and I would like you to stay as a where’s Waldo type of character. Nothing more.

Ah good, for a moment I was beginning to think that I was the only person here who preferred the edited voice. I really do think it sounds more appropriate for her. She’s just a clumsy pony, not brain damaged.

Whenever I read Derpy comics, even before that episode I imagined her voice sounding very effeminate and bubbly, not slow and dull. If Derpy speaks again (doubtful) I’d want them to keep using that voice.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 12:09AM EDT
Jul 31, 2012 at 11:51PM EDT
Quote

I’m avoiding the elephant in the room as best I can, because a) I’m lazy, and b) I’d rather not get into this again.

Every time it seems like we’re done with the Derpy discussion, another person posts a new TL;DR espousing their viewpoints, most of which I agree with. I find such calm, civil, and intelligent discussion like we’re having right now to be wonderful, but I think it’s time to move on to more pressing matters now (like omg the crystal palace is it just a ploy to sell toys or will it be genuinely awesome). We’ve made up for the shitstorm we had back then tenfold, and I think we can cross “never talk about the Derpy incident” off the list.

Good job everypony.


I personally prefer the updated voice in terms of representing Derpy better, but the original voice has a sort of endearing quality to it. That being said, BaldDumboRat’s voice blows them out of the water. If Hasbro ever decides to do another Derpy speaking part, they’d better hire her.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 12:10AM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 12:06AM EDT
Quote

TheOriginalSMASH wrote:

Hey guys, check out this fantastic animation.




More season 3 clips eh? Gotta say, I’m looking forward to this episode. I’ve always felt Photo Finish was a underrated and under-loved pony, and I’m glad they’re bringing her back.

WAITTHIS WAS ENTIRELY ANIMATED BY ONE PERSON? WTF GUYS WHAT HOW WHEN WHERE WHY SERIOUSLY WTF

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:47AM EDT
Quote

TheOriginalSMASH wrote:

Hey guys, check out this fantastic animation.




As soon as I fix my stallion muzzle symbols, draw up some new mouth positions and design a few new manes and cutie marks, I bet I could…

Okay…

Hey, I need some help. Tell me something to animate.

Aug 01, 2012 at 12:52AM EDT
Quote

I can’t think of anything to say in the face of such awesomeness…

Aug 01, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

So what is stopping us from discussing it?

RandomMan wrote:

But it’s still a trivial thing if you think about it.

RandomMan wrote:

the same reason people often avoid the eye color discussion, to avoid shitstorms.

You just answered your own question there you wily Dutch Rabbit :P

It’s not really worth it.


As for that animation, it’s very close to show quality animation but not quite there yet…90% I’d say…. and considering one person animated this, it’s quite amazing.

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:25AM EDT
Quote

Vinyl’s eyes?

VINYL’S EYES!?

YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT VINYL’S FUCKING EYES!?!?!

FORGET ABOUT VINYL’S EYES! RAINBOW DASH’S EYES ARE KINDA MAGENTA OR PURPLISH TOO DOES THAT MEAN THEY COULD ALSO BE RED AND THAT WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT IT IN GREAT DETAIL FANDOM? HUH? HUH?
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!?!?!

LOOK GUISE, COLOR CORRECTED RAINBOW DASH! THAT PROOFS IT!

Just playin’. Actually I didn’t care at first because I’m just not that interested in Vinyl at all, but I was honestly a little annoyed how the 2 seconds that she showed her eyes were being talked about almost as much as rest of the finale back then. But then I realized how I thought the Derpy scene was awesome and worth all the attention that it took away from the rest of the episode it was in at the time and then I didn’t feel like I had much room to bitch anymore once I though about how put out the people who were kinda “meh” towards Derpy and liked Applejack must have been. If I’m not mistaken that was the first episode in season 2 that was supposed to be about Applejack to boot.

About Derpy for that matter, I thought her new voice was really cute and more fitting. Looking back on it now I also think it was probably for the best that the scene was edited. They would’ve got a lot more negative attention if they didn’t change it so they pretty much had to do what they did before things escalated and started hurting business.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 04:44AM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 04:37AM EDT
Quote

TheOriginalSMASH wrote:

Hey guys, check out this fantastic animation.




My face after watching.

Seriously, that’s some top-notch work. Somebody should give that guy a job.

Aug 01, 2012 at 06:34AM EDT
Quote

ExudesAffluence said:

To be honest, this goes back to what Jackal said about being conceited in one’s fanon. While you have every right to expect quality from the show, you can’t expect them to cater to your every whim, and besides, did magenta eyes lower the show’s quality at all? You might feel that red eyes were a better idea, but you have no right to say that anything short of that lowers the quality. Sticking to your fanon when it clashes with canon, even though everyone and their brother might agree that your fanon is better, is little better than complaining that your favorite candidate didn’t win the election.

You’re more than welcome to do it, but don’t expect it to get anywhere, don’t be obnoxious about it and don’t get in anyone’s way.

I wasn’t getting the impression Fifths was using Scratch’s eye color as an example about expecting high quality from the show. That’d just be silly.

In answer to the other stuff though, I don’t think outspokenness about political candidates is a good comparison in this case. While a fan may critique the show in different ways regarding its quality, they still don’t really have any ownership of it; they are merely making observations about someone else’s work. Political elections, however, are something that all citizens are responsible for, and about which they should speak up frequently if there is cause. No, there’s still no reason to be obnoxious, but one has every right to argue persuasively, even forcefully, about important political issues. Taking that same force and criticizing something like, say, the Mare-Do-Well episode (as some have done) is less called for, as I’m sure you’d agree.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “get in anyone’s way”, though.


@Owens

And you know what the best part is? He claims in the YouTube comments that he’s self-taught when it comes to flash animation. Apparently, he has been doing it for about nine years, but it’s still plenty impressive. Those Double Rainboom folks should enlist him for sure.

Last edited Aug 01, 2012 at 07:00AM EDT
Aug 01, 2012 at 06:58AM EDT
Quote

Millennial Dan wrote:

ExudesAffluence said:

To be honest, this goes back to what Jackal said about being conceited in one’s fanon. While you have every right to expect quality from the show, you can’t expect them to cater to your every whim, and besides, did magenta eyes lower the show’s quality at all? You might feel that red eyes were a better idea, but you have no right to say that anything short of that lowers the quality. Sticking to your fanon when it clashes with canon, even though everyone and their brother might agree that your fanon is better, is little better than complaining that your favorite candidate didn’t win the election.

You’re more than welcome to do it, but don’t expect it to get anywhere, don’t be obnoxious about it and don’t get in anyone’s way.

I wasn’t getting the impression Fifths was using Scratch’s eye color as an example about expecting high quality from the show. That’d just be silly.

In answer to the other stuff though, I don’t think outspokenness about political candidates is a good comparison in this case. While a fan may critique the show in different ways regarding its quality, they still don’t really have any ownership of it; they are merely making observations about someone else’s work. Political elections, however, are something that all citizens are responsible for, and about which they should speak up frequently if there is cause. No, there’s still no reason to be obnoxious, but one has every right to argue persuasively, even forcefully, about important political issues. Taking that same force and criticizing something like, say, the Mare-Do-Well episode (as some have done) is less called for, as I’m sure you’d agree.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “get in anyone’s way”, though.


@Owens

And you know what the best part is? He claims in the YouTube comments that he’s self-taught when it comes to flash animation. Apparently, he has been doing it for about nine years, but it’s still plenty impressive. Those Double Rainboom folks should enlist him for sure.

Self-taught?

I hate him now.

It makes me step back and wonder, “Why aren’t I self-taught?”

What surprises me most is that he’s got an infinitely deep pool of talent to draw on, and he decides to spend that talent on ponies.

Feels good man.

Aug 01, 2012 at 07:05AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!