Forums / Discussion / General

232,783 total conversations in 7,783 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10166 posts from 235 users

Dac wrote:

I'm no artist, but guidelines and circles help so much it's ridiculous. It's the differance between having a 5 day full body workout routine with an excellent diet and buying the perfect pushup or whatever other as seen on tv bs. One will get make you stand out from the crowd, the other you'll plateau really fast. Same with guidelines and freehand. My sister and my best friend are really good at drawing and have no problem drawing without any referance pics. That's because they sketch it out with circles and lines to keep the proportions perfect. I suggest to anyone who wants to really improve their work to invest time in drawing circles. You'll see an instant improvement in your work. Just my two cents on the matter.

You just have to use body building metaphors don't you? We get it Dac, you're a buff dude with awesome hair and great dancing abilities and gets all the ladies.

If we weren't such good friends, I'd expect you were compensating for something.

@Phoneix (And everything Dac said)

Another Con: Circles are the basis of all drawing, not learning them means your drawing skills will always plateau, never increase :P

All very true. That's why I added the disclaimer above my post that not using circles made me a terrible artist. Avoiding those basic shapes is very much like building a house: starting with the roof and finishing with the foundation last.

The only excuse for not using circles is saving time for the sake of posting sooner since the circles mean more time spent doing geometry in your head. Drawing completely freehand is a cut corner.

If I wanted to draw a pony in a more professional manner then I use circles. Remember the Vinyl Scratch I drew for Ivans Pony Hub contest a while back?

Circles were used here. Compare that to the drawings I made in the previous thread, you can see an improvement in accuracy

@Twins

Not my body! NUUUUU!

burning_phoneix wrote:

You just have to use body building metaphors don't you? We get it Dac, you're a buff dude with awesome hair and great dancing abilities and gets all the ladies.

If we weren't such good friends, I'd expect you were compensating for something.

Had I said anything else, you wouldn't be saying anything, so shut it. It was the first metaphor I could think of that made perfect sense, and I'm not gonna not use it because of fear that others think I'm over compensating. Be gone heathen

What's worse, dipper goes to taco bell, cupcakes, or SAM?

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 09:17AM EDT

Dac wrote:

Had I said anything else, you wouldn't be saying anything, so shut it. It was the first metaphor I could think of that made perfect sense, and I'm not gonna not use it because of fear that others think I'm over compensating. Be gone heathen

@Dac

Hmm tough question. All three of those are near equally messed up. Some on different levels that others.

Cupcakes has the fame and also managed to create a whole new character so it has that. It's also the most memetic. But despite having a good level of emotional impact, it's also relatively tamer than the others

Sweet Apple Massacre probably gets the award for the most mindless gore out of the three. Though it gets no points for substance

Dipper goes to Taco Bell trumps the other two in terms of insanity and WTF factor. It also get more points for creativity. But is it horrifying or just sick?

In terms of shock value (I'm assuming by "worse" you mean the most shocking), which is probably the grand Emmy for these sort or things; It really is hard to say which garnered more horror than the others. The responses to them all have been widely varied

But I'm leaning towards DgtTB

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 10:27AM EDT

Twins the Serendipitous Serval wrote:

(click to embiggen)
There was actually supposed to be a joke in there somewhere. I blame 9gag.

@BSOD
Well, the way I draw, I use a circle for the head, and then I build upon it with the mane and stuff. It helps, it really does. For the body though, I just do whatever, and it usually ends up looking like a cancerous mass.

@Twilitlord
This is exactly where I was going with the circles. Right now, Fluttershy's head looks sort of like Sarah Jessica Parker, and that's not what you want for a pony. Use a circle base for insta-20% better artwork. And yeah, the legs should be about 1/3 shorter. Not bad though.

Swag

@Dac

I wouldn't really call any of them worse than others, it's how you look at them.

Situations in Dipper goes to Taco Bell made that fic more humerous (cum angels :3). Whereas SAM and Cupcakes are more about serious rape and torture, Dipper goes to Taco Bell was just plain weird.

If you look at bad based on how serious they take themselves, the pony fics win. Between those, I wouldn't call one worse. It's just what the person in question thinks is worse, Rainbow Dash tortured to death or the CMC raped to death.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 03:41PM EDT

@Bruno
Oh, we won't kill you.
There are much worse things we can do to traitors like you…

Get in there, ponies!
We need to counter the heathen's votes!
(Personally, I've never been able to get into Adventure Time, or Regular Show for that matter. The voice acting and art styles just… bug me. Eh, different strokes…)

Fifths wrote:

Are we still drawfagging out over here? Huh.

Why don't you people start trying to write some pony songs so that I can take sadistic pleasure in mercilessly critiquing them?

I challenge you all to write meme entries related to MLP, html and quality research included.

GO!

Bruno the Rustler wrote:

Hey guys! Just wanted to say My Littlle Pony is running for best cartoon show in Tubey! GO THERE VOTE!!! (It's on the section 13-13)

Sorry, but I voted for Adventure Time (Don't kill me!)

I voted for South Park because I like it more.

Of course, since this is the internet, the ponies will win without a doubt, unless 4chan makes a counter-assault on the voting, like what happened in Dub the Dew.

We still doing that pony draw thing? No? Well TOO BAD.
Here's Flootershai that I sketched in a few minutes with a vector as reference.

Shush down, I already spot the mistakes. I'm too lazy to fix them.
As you can tell, I took a photo with my android, so sorry for the crappy quality.
Have this for compensation:

Click image for sauce.
Now back to not posting!

Wait.
@DeadParrot
Have you been up to no good? C'mere!

That's a good DeadParrot! That's a good DeadParrot! Tha-Wait… You're not dead!

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 08:33PM EDT

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Yeah, so I can't draw.
Big whoop, wanna fight about it?
I have thus turned to GIMP to try to see if I can do anything there.
As my first little project, I decided to digitize Exude's Firefly from a few posts up.
The original is up there, and here's my version.
(Didn't actually ask permission, but I hope you don't mind Exudes! Not claiming the work as my own!)

picture hosting

Yes, it sucks, but his was my first try and I was basically learning all the tools as I went.
I also forgot to actually make it bigger…

I am honored.

@Slinker

@TwilightLord
Oh, thanks!
Glad you liked it!

@Exudes
You are quite welcome.
Truth be told, half the reason I chose your picture was because her eyes were covered. =)
Those things are complex to build and I wanted to start off with something comparatively easy.
Obviously, the other half was that I just like the picture itself.

Dac wrote:

Wow, look at that violent and emotional outburst as a reaction to an accusation of sexual inferiority…it strikes me as very odd.

(To answer your question, I haven't read any of them)

Deadparrot wrote:

@Bruno
Oh, we won’t kill you.
There are much worse things we can do to traitors like you…

And the Witchcraft continues.

Sorry that my presence has been scarce lately, but I haven't seen many opportunities to enter the conversation myself lately, though I have been lurking and reading everything. I've also been fairly out of the loop with Mon Petit Poney in general, so… yeah.

Normally I'd draw, but my sketchpads and pencils and shit are scattered everywhere and I'm far to lazy to draw something up and scan it, so I'll sit out. At any rate, I'd say I personally use circles to get the correct proportions when I know where the circles would likely go. If it's something that's hard to establish good circular areas on, it's another story, though. I'd likely just free draw that, if I had a reference pick. This is, of course, just how I draw, and I'm not the best at it. You'd be better off asking Gigatoast or MUUMI!!!! what they do, since they're artfags.

Have some awesome ass zebras and shit because rhyming is awesome.

Guys I need a little help:

Im working on a new comic. So far, i’ve spent 6 days on it. Its taking too damn long.
And now I got another delay cause im obsessing over the design of AB in the 4th panel.

A or B?
Larger version

Well, if you ask me, Ivan, I would maybe go with A – looks rounder and more like the show's heads. If you're going for truly show-accurate, though, round up the top of her mane. It looks really flat for AB; it took me a couple seconds to recognize her.

@Ivan

I'd go with A. As Twilit points out; A is more rounded.

Although you could go with either and nobody is going to say anything. The difference is very subtle

@El Slinker

That's pretty good.

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 09:56PM EDT

@BSoD
Thank you, and to prove I suck more at ponies, here's something I sketched a few minutes after:

@Dac
Sweet Apple Massacre is worst. RAPE AND MURDER! OF CHILDREN!
Two things I hate with a passion! Pedophilia and rape! Sure I joke every now and then, but I just have fury of it! I ain't earn that no more! Just… Gah!

Last edited Sep 05, 2012 at 10:59PM EDT

Okay guys, you peer pressured me into it, I drew my first pony

Mod edit: Your image is broken, so have it hyperlinked.

I drew it in pen because I'm so hardcore!!! I don't even know which pony it's supposed to be. I made the cutie mark a pair of dice because I was looking around my room and saw a pair of dice. I am so bored right now.
(I AM NOT SORRY FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PHOTO)

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 10:14AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

I challenge you all to write meme entries related to MLP, html and quality research included.

GO!

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little parasprite? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Wonderbolts, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Changelings, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in pony warfare and I'm the top flyer in the Canterlot forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across Equestria and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hoves. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Canterlot Royal Gaurd and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Fifths wrote:

Are we still drawfagging out over here? Huh.

Why don't you people start trying to write some pony songs so that I can take sadistic pleasure in mercilessly critiquing them?

I did a remix ages ago, before you were here, but it was just what I got finished for a class on MIDI. I meant to go back and work on it, but a bunch of the stuff that I DIDN'T want to edit got erased when I was cleaning out some of the extraneous sound files.

Keep in mind, this is my first (somewhat) complete song, and I still plan on changing most of the solos. Still, critique would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I did plan on adding the vocals in later as well. The keys are just a place-holder for them. But I have to finish all the instruments first, because vocal editing is much easier in Pro Tools, and I want to get all the MIDI editing done in Logic first. Also, I'm kinda veering away from the initial hip-hop vibe I was going for, towards something a little closer to dub.

PROTIP: Dub does NOT mean dubstep. Dub is more like what Pinkie's solo and the ending sound like.

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 04:26AM EDT

@pheonix
I could turn it around and say I find it quite odd that you judge people for perceived sexual inferiorit over the Internet.. Then again, we could both be joking.

@ randomMan
A 12 year old making cum angels is funny to you?

Dac wrote:

@pheonix
I could turn it around and say I find it quite odd that you judge people for perceived sexual inferiorit over the Internet.. Then again, we could both be joking.

@ randomMan

Yes….joking…. just jokes here.

(Meet me at the pre-described location. 9 PM. No Guns, Knives Only, Final Destination)

Dac wrote:

@pheonix

@ randomMan

Yes Dac, yes I do. If fics are filled with so many unrealistic situations and contain such grammar, I can't take it serious anymore, and thus aim to find humour in it.

Pic VERY MUCH related.

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 10:32AM EDT

Nothing's happening here, so have a picture of Tara with Alice Cooper for no reason at all.

An more Tara being awesome!
This time meeting with a fan who has an inoperable brain tumor, brightening up his day, and raising support for his charity all while simultaneously giving back to the community and filming the brony documentary.

(The Youtube video description has more information if you'd like it.)

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 04:07PM EDT

@Trollkeeper: That feel. I know it very, very well.
So I suppose I'll extend another thanks to you guys. Thanks for keeping my pony in this thread.

@Twins: Once again you prove that you can draw better than…
Actually I think that may be a rough approximation of my abilities at max.

@BSOD: Why wouldn't she do that?

@Solaire: I also know that feel. It's why this post is so short.

As for pictures, this post is pictureless because it's not me being an artfag.

Hay guys, yesterday was my KYM anniversary, the day I first joined KYM. Also the 9th is my day of birth, which is this coming Sunday.

And to make it pony related:

And MFW I am will be at my own B-day party:

I am anticipating of getting that 500 GB hardrive and much more!

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 07:01PM EDT

So guys, I was thinking… Hub is advertising the rerun of A Canterlot Wedding on Saturday, right? So it looks like they're trying to build back up hype for MLP (as if they need to do that)?

What if the new season date is announced Saturday?

just sayin'.

@Sparty

@BSOD: Why wouldn’t she do that?

Good lord, are you telling me, that's how she gets her sick kicks?

Raping innocent Windows Errors with carrots? What's this world coming to?

Last edited Sep 06, 2012 at 09:00PM EDT

@BSoD
Got a new bushel all ready!
Straight from the carrot patch!

Have fun!

@Twilitlord
That's what I'm thinking will probably happen.
The timing is about right and using an event like that would make sure they had viewers for the announcement.
I'm guessing we'll be seeing season three in early to mid October.
(Here's hoping…)

@Connor
PikaPie needs to team up with Scootachu!

Everypony loves dressing up as Pikachu!

Hey look!
More Friendship is Witchcraft!

Let me set this up.

From Shout, this was why there would likely never be a MLP Season DVD set.

To the point:

For the sake of argument… For a four-disc complete first season, we'd probably need somewhere in the realm of 30,000-50,000 "sold through" for there to be the chance of a second full-season volume. That means we didn't just sell them to stores (because they can return their copies for a complete refund anytime they want; and the more they return, the fewer they buy of the next volume--if any, at all), but we sold them to stores and the stores then sold them to you, the consumers.

This is when you say, "Oh, there are WAY more than 30,000-50,000 fans! Piece of cake!"

Okay.

I have no problem with this. I'm also a big fan of Community, but I don't need to own it. And I'm a DVD/Blu-ray collector! Just because there are incredible fans, their numbers don't traditionally translate to guaranteed sales. There are a few notable exceptions to this rule: Star Wars and Star Trek have particularly large followings that also sell a lot of product. But even with all of the merchandise those franchise have sold, imagine the number of people who love them without ever having bought an action figure or book or collectible lithograph, etc. The percentage of Brony fans willing to BUY a $29.99-$39.99 complete season set must be high enough to warrant us spending the thousands of dollars it takes to produce, manufacture and market the set.

With that in mind, I have no idea whatsoever why no one is talking about this.

I'll assume that you're in school or at work or something.

Click the image for the link.

If you've been following the fandom, its events for a while, and read the articles, then you know how big of a deal this is. (There are also some interesting implications…including that at least 30,000 bronies/fans have bought previous DVDs.)

If you can, then you need to get this. Don't care if it's not Blu-Ray. Shout is taking a huge risk here considering they aren't that big of a company. Not to mention it has commentary.

Last edited Sep 07, 2012 at 02:03PM EDT

Where the hell is everyone today?

Edit: Damn it, Verbose.
That was one heck of a ninja.
You stole my thunder…
I'll just leave the direct Amazon link.

Head to Amazon to pre-order your copy and show Hasbro that we will buy stuff like this: SEASON 1 DVD SET
They're taking another chance on our little fandom here, so let's show them that we appreciate it!

Last edited Sep 07, 2012 at 02:11PM EDT

Okay, Shout Factory finally got the numbers they need to make a DVD set but I wonder if they took Madman's route in Australia and just released them one by one to form a box set. Seems like a great risk management plan.

Where the hell is everyone today?

We stopped drawing pictures so I'm slipping back into the shadows until a topic comes along where I have an opinion to add.

Besides I have a lot of work to do. People calling me left and right, wanting to know much I charge for website maintenance and all. I'm refraining from posting here just for the sake of posting so I get more done

@Fifths
Too quiet, you say?
(Seriously, might want to nudge the volume down just a bit…)

@phoenix
It doesn't look like it.
According to the Amazon page, you're buying all 26 episodes in one package.
Honestly, in every poll I've seen, the U.S. has the highest concentration of bronies so if a set can be successful in Australia, it should have no problem here.
Plus, they are also supposed to have special features like cast and crew audio commentaries which I absolutely love!
Pre-ordering is only $25 bucks, too, which is what?
Less than half what you would pay buying them off of iTunes?
All in all, an epic deal that everyone should pick up if they are able.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!