Forums / Discussion / General

171,312 total conversations in 5,504 threads

+ New Thread


Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10167 posts from 235 users

I have to agree with Commodore here. Last time I checked, the knee joints on a horse weren’t that far down the legs. Regardless, I just can’t see how that amount of bend can hold things at times. Especially Octavia’s bow, that shouldn’t stay in place like that.

Also BSOD, for all we know pulling on a unicorn might work for unicorn magic. After all, have you ever tried to pull on a unicorn using their magic?

EDIT: Aw, man, 2 page gets in a row. I’d like to open the floor to new discussion topics.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 10:43AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 10:41AM EDT
Quote

burning_phoneix wrote:

Seems logical to me. They’re holding it by the crook of their…..errr…elbows?

What are those called in horse anatomy? Where’s Dac when you need him?

That’s not the elbow.

That’s a pastern.

It’s pretty much a pony wrist. (not to be confused with their knee, sometimes called a wrist.)

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:46AM EDT
Quote

badsitrep wrote:

That’s not the elbow.

That’s a pastern.

It’s pretty much a pony wrist. (not to be confused with their knee, sometimes called a wrist.)

Regardless, I’m pretty sure they aren’t supposed to bend like that. At most they would go straight, the pastern’s where that curve around the hoof area comes from.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:53AM EDT
Quote

You people talking about ‘bones’ and ‘joints’ have clearly forgotten everything you learned in Pony Anatomy 101, haven’t you?
Well, here’s a refresher:

Edit:
This just in!
Applejack finally gets her moment!

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 11:50AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 11:47AM EDT
Quote

@DeadParrot: I would totally eat a pony…

How to poni?

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 12:12PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 12:08PM EDT
Quote

You folks are in need of some basic anatomy lessons. Seriously, were you all asleep during biology class?

Lectio prima:

All mammals share the same basic skeletal structure. Only the proportions and positions are different.

As you can see, even our water-dwelling cousin has digits inside that fin.

Lectio secunda:

Horses are ungulate, which basically means that they are standing on their toes. All four of them. People seem to have trouble wrapping their heads around this, which leads to such enlightened terminology as “reversed-knee”.

Here, I’ll even provide you with a picture of the equine skeleton with the bits that roughly correspond to the human skeleton highlighted and named:

So, what most people think is the knee is actually the ankle. Understanding their motions becomes a lot simpler once you’ve realized this basic fact.

Lectio tertia:

The way the guardstallions hold their spears in the pic Commodore 64 provided is within a somewhat reasonable range of motion.

See the way the left back leg is bent? I’d assume the same can be done with the forelegs, horses just don’t usually bend it that way since there’s little need for it.

Of course, the guardstallions seem to be bending their hooves to the side. That can be explained away with the fact that this is a cartoon and, therefore, the animators have near-unlimited leeway.

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:12PM EDT
Quote

Brownmane wrote:

You folks are in need of some basic anatomy lessons. Seriously, were you all asleep during biology class?

Didn’t the Finnish government ship you off to a gulag somewhere?


@Trixie’s attempt to troll humans with pony physiology:

“Interesting…..tell us more.”


Deadparrot wrote:

Edit:
This just in!
Applejack finally gets her moment!

CAN IT BE? CAN IT FINALLY BE TIME FOR MY FAVOURITE MANE PONY TO SHINE? ALL THOSE DAYS OF RIDICULE AND BACKGROUND PONY JOKES WILL BE LIFTED
.
.
.
.
.
.

Fuck you Peter New…..fuck you…..

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:21PM EDT
Quote

Sorry, Phoenix, but I definitely lol’d.

It’s still weird to hear Big Mac speak full sentences, let alone rap. Derpy was a good touch, too.

@Brownmane: Look at the bone structure of the real horse. I don’t think that those front pastern joints are physically capable of rotating to that sort of angle. I’ll go look at video now, but I have a feeling that I’ll still be right.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

OH FUCK BROWNMANE’S BACK! HIDE YO PARENTS AND YOUNGER SIBLINGS! STUFF IS ABOUT TO GET SEXUALLY AWKWARD!

@Pony anatomy:

How does a poni poni poni, as poni has to poni with poni poni to poni the poni newspaper.

You guys don’t seem to be touching upon the fact that unless the pegasi had completely hollow bones and no flesh to speak of, they would need wings three times larger to carry them. This is clearly not true, as RD has collided with mountains at a high velocity without breaking into dust from the impact. You also seem to forget Pinkie Pie, as well.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:37PM EDT
Quote

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

OH FUCK BROWNMANE’S BACK! HIDE YO PARENTS AND YOUNGER SIBLINGS! STUFF IS ABOUT TO GET SEXUALLY AWKWARD!

@Pony anatomy:

How does a poni poni poni, as poni has to poni with poni poni to poni the poni newspaper.

You guys don’t seem to be touching upon the fact that unless the pegasi had completely hollow bones and no flesh to speak of, they would need wings three times larger to carry them. This is clearly not true, as RD has collided with mountains at a high velocity without breaking into dust from the impact. You also seem to forget Pinkie Pie, as well.

Good point about the pegasi, but you seem to forget that Pinkie resides on a different plane of physics than the other ponies.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:41PM EDT
Quote

@Twilitlord

I know they don’t bend that way in reality. But these are cartoon ponies, and the animators don’t have to follow rigid constraints. I’m just saying it isn’t completely impossible to hold a spear upright with those limbs.

@burning_phoneix

Yeah, they did. I quit, though. Figured I might as well, since I wasn’t getting anything useful out of it and the whole shebang started pissing me off. By the end of basic training, I was pretty much this.

Besides, I’ve always figured dying for an arbitrary geopolitical entity is pretty fuckin’ dumb. I’ve never even particularly liked this frozen backwater, and I’m even less fond of the petty, small-minded inhabitants.

So, fuck the army, fuck the country and fuck the people in charge. They can rot and burn for all I care. I’ve better things to do.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:11PM EDT
Quote

Solaire said:

How does a poni poni poni, as poni has to poni with poni poni to poni the poni newspaper.

@Solaire
Obviously, pegasi skeletons are actually made out of carbon nanotubes.
Very light, but with a strength comparable to steel.

@Twilitlord
Everyone knows that Pinkie has her crazy abilities because she’s actually a unicorn.

She’s just a ‘special’ unicorn!

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Regardless, I’m pretty sure they aren’t supposed to bend like that. At most they would go straight, the pastern’s where that curve around the hoof area comes from.

Cartoon physics.

FUCK YOU, ISAAC NEWTON!

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:15PM EDT
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

You people talking about ‘bones’ and ‘joints’ have clearly forgotten everything you learned in Pony Anatomy 101, haven’t you?
Well, here’s a refresher:

Edit:
This just in!
Applejack finally gets her moment!

Exactly what I was saying. Ponies have very little structural integrity. It’s a wonder they don’t melt in the rain!

That being said……

Oh, and hooray for Applelicious! Oh that deep inner meaning of the last few seconds… Just like what happened with The Last Roundup. Poor Applejack, you’ll get you time in the limelight some day!

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:35PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

You people are silly bitches.

@Brownmane:

It’s been 6 months already? I’m guessing you finished your service because…..you really can’t “quit” conscription. The very term means compulsory enlistment.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:44PM EDT
Quote

@Commodore
Who says that they don’t?

@Fifths
>This whole thread

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:54PM EDT
Quote

@burning_phoneix

Well, Finland offers civilian service as an alternative to the army. Basically, it’s just like an ordinary job, ‘cept with below minimum-wage pay and it takes a whole year. But hey, at least I won’t have to jump to the tune of someone else’s pipe 24/7, and I get to have some say in where I get sent. Besides, some actual work experience will look better on the ol’ résumé.

Too bad I have to wait around to even get that train going, since there’s a bunch of red tape in the way. Ah well. After all that bullshit, I could use a nice, long break.


Speaking of ponies and water, there seems to be an awful lot of pretty pictures involving the two.

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT
Quote

OH MY GOD THIS SONG IS FUCKING AWESOME! HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT?!?

Fuck, the hairs on my arms are standing on end. Fuck. I need to make a sexy piano version right now!

Edit: Also, I don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about with the “deceptive cadence” joke. There isn’t a true deceptive cadence in this entire song. The closest thing they have is that they make the tonic chord into minor for Chrysalys’ part, which I…guess could be interpreted as a deceptive cadence? Traditionally, the decetive cadence is supposed to use an entirely different chord from the tonic, not just alter the tonic.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 05:38PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 05:26PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

OH MY GOD THIS SONG IS FUCKING AWESOME! HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT?!?

Fuck, the hairs on my arms are standing on end. Fuck. I need to make a sexy piano version right now!

Edit: Also, I don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about with the “deceptive cadence” joke. There isn’t a true deceptive cadence in this entire song. The closest thing they have is that they make the tonic chord into minor for Chrysalys’ part, which I…guess could be interpreted as a deceptive cadence? Traditionally, the decetive cadence is supposed to use an entirely different chord from the tonic, not just alter the tonic.

>how did I not realize this the first time I heard it
>how did I not realize this the first time
>first time
>mfw

Didn’t you talk about it in our music discussion last month? Also, isn’t it kind of the centerpiece song of Canterlot Wedding part 2?

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:32PM EDT
Quote

DeadParrot222 wrote:

Solaire said:

How does a poni poni poni, as poni has to poni with poni poni to poni the poni newspaper.

@Solaire
Obviously, pegasi skeletons are actually made out of carbon nanotubes.
Very light, but with a strength comparable to steel.

@Twilitlord
Everyone knows that Pinkie has her crazy abilities because she’s actually a unicorn.

She’s just a ‘special’ unicorn!

I’m betting if that “pinkie is a unicorn” pic is right, she’d have some serious risk on it pressing on something and causing problems… Specifically, it might impede the work of the bridge between the two ’spheres of the brain; which would lead to each side to work independently for the most part, but when it does work, certain information imparted from one side to the other may be… Unusual.

That… Would explain a lot about pinkie’s random personality, as it could be possible that Pinkie side “B” (the blocked off side that is conventionally unable to do the talking itself) is intelligent, but has little to do with that intelligence so ends up with her head in the clouds thinking up strange stories and… stuff.

That might Explain a moment Pinkie has where she says that Even she “Doesn’t know what she’s thinking half the time”, (Paraphrased for clarity)

It’s also possible that the “Pinkie sense” comes from the other side of the brain as well.

Of course, there are also two things to think about:
-Pinkie is perpetually a concussion away from being completely split brained.
-She’s also in a world where it’s likely possible (through magic) to heal brain; un-splitting her brain again.

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:03PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

You people are silly bitches.


As you can see Pinkie Pie is full of confetti, your argument is invalid.

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:16PM EDT
Quote

Deadparrot wrote:

@Twilitlord
Everyone knows that Pinkie has her crazy abilities because she’s actually a unicorn.



She’s just a ‘special’ unicorn!

Oct 09, 2012 at 06:38PM EDT
Quote

For the discussion of pony anatomy and why they can do certain things, I think it’s a good thing to remember they don’t live on Earth. They aren’t actually related to ponies from our world so we can’t really compare them too much. Maybe they don’t have the same skeletal structure as our mammals do. So, I propose a different explanation: instead of “Magic. Deal with it.” I say

just you wait, there will be pony crop circles soon enough.

Woohoo this is my first actual forum post ever. I hope I’ll be accepted here. kinda scary, really. Don’t want to make an absolute fool of myself online.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 07:30PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 07:29PM EDT
Quote

Blind Follower wrote:

For the discussion of pony anatomy and why they can do certain things, I think it’s a good thing to remember they don’t live on Earth. They aren’t actually related to ponies from our world so we can’t really compare them too much. Maybe they don’t have the same skeletal structure as our mammals do. So, I propose a different explanation: instead of “Magic. Deal with it.” I say

just you wait, there will be pony crop circles soon enough.

Woohoo this is my first actual forum post ever. I hope I’ll be accepted here. kinda scary, really. Don’t want to make an absolute fool of myself online.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

@Space ponies

@Blind follower

>Doesn’t want to make a fool of self online
>Is online

Welcome to the insanity! Here’s your free T-shirt and coffee mug!

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:40PM EDT
Quote

My Train of thought just changed lines: We’re going back to Episode 1!

Think about the back-story: Celestia Imprisoned NMM with the elements, but couldn’t strip away her jealous Alter ego like the mane 6 could? Were the elements that Celestia used weaker that the Mane 6’s?

Second, The elements that had lost their power, found in the castle were Grey. But when The Mane 6 lose their powers in the next season, it’s not the Crystals that lose their shine but themselves.

I’m getting the distinct feeling that Twilight was more right than she thought when she said that her friends were the “Spirits” of the elements of harmony.

My Theory: The Mane six don’t just CARRY or USE the elements! They ARE the elements! The Psychical Avatars of the Elements in Pony Form if you will.

Following on from that, I guess that the elements that Celestia and Luna used were either pale Shadows of the true elements, or the Elements escaped from their gem-like bonds to eventually incarnate as ponies.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:44PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

My Train of thought just changed lines: We’re going back to Episode 1!

Think about the back-story: Celestia Imprisoned NMM with the elements, but couldn’t strip away her jealous Alter ego like the mane 6 could? Were the elements that Celestia used weaker that the Mane 6’s?

Second, The elements that had lost their power, found in the castle were Grey. But when The Mane 6 lose their powers in the next season, it’s not the Crystals that lose their shine but themselves.

I’m getting the distinct feeling that Twilight was more right than she thought when she said that her friends were the “Spirits” of the elements of harmony.

My Theory: The Mane six don’t just CARRY or USE the elements! They ARE the elements! The Psychical Avatars of the Elements in Pony Form if you will.

Following on from that, I guess that the elements that Celestia and Luna used were either pale Shadows of the true elements, or the Elements escaped from their gem-like bonds to eventually incarnate as ponies.

TL;DR version MAGIC

besides

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:51PM EDT
Quote

@Fifths:

If they see the nebula as a Horsehead, they would have to be pretty much exactly where Earth is situated. Therefore, they are, in fact, on a different plane of existence.

@ZeroBlue4:

Really old theory that’s been decided as canon from a lot of speculation and I think a confirmation from Faust. As for Celestia and Luna, the Elements are powered by friendship by their definition, so I like to think that Celestia could only banish her sister as her sister was her friend. Possibly her only friend. Thus the Elements lost their power as she lost her sister.

Basically this comic:

Link if it’s too small.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 08:10PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 08:09PM EDT
Quote

Blind Follower wrote:

For the discussion of pony anatomy and why they can do certain things, I think it’s a good thing to remember they don’t live on Earth. They aren’t actually related to ponies from our world so we can’t really compare them too much. Maybe they don’t have the same skeletal structure as our mammals do. So, I propose a different explanation: instead of “Magic. Deal with it.” I say

just you wait, there will be pony crop circles soon enough.

Woohoo this is my first actual forum post ever. I hope I’ll be accepted here. kinda scary, really. Don’t want to make an absolute fool of myself online.

If you did not know, pony crop circles have been appearing for the last two years and they are growing in numbers.

By my calculations by December 21st 2012 these extraterrestrial ponies will take over the world with kindness and they will unleash a chocolate milk flood which will engulf the world.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 08:46PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 08:27PM EDT
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

My Train of thought just changed lines: We’re going back to Episode 1!

Think about the back-story: Celestia Imprisoned NMM with the elements, but couldn’t strip away her jealous Alter ego like the mane 6 could? Were the elements that Celestia used weaker that the Mane 6’s?

Second, The elements that had lost their power, found in the castle were Grey. But when The Mane 6 lose their powers in the next season, it’s not the Crystals that lose their shine but themselves.

I’m getting the distinct feeling that Twilight was more right than she thought when she said that her friends were the “Spirits” of the elements of harmony.

My Theory: The Mane six don’t just CARRY or USE the elements! They ARE the elements! The Psychical Avatars of the Elements in Pony Form if you will.

Following on from that, I guess that the elements that Celestia and Luna used were either pale Shadows of the true elements, or the Elements escaped from their gem-like bonds to eventually incarnate as ponies.

Hmm. I like that. Then necklace, necklace, necklace, necklace, necklace and big crown-thingy would just channel their powers?

@Tim: Hopefully, the pure friendship of ponies will defeat the absolute evil of the Rebecca Black album and save the world from its oncoming apocalypse.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 08:51PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 08:49PM EDT
Quote

@ZeroBlue4

Well, in Return of Harmony Celestia states that she and Luna were connected to the elements. Presumably both had half of them under their control, and they were inanimate objects during those days.

I theorize that Luna’s transformation into Nightmare Moon made her unable to use the elements under her care, and Celestia seized control of them. However, something prevented Celestia from using the elements to their full effect (inexperience with Luna’s half of them, or perhaps the emotional turmoil of fighting your sibling) and was forced to imprison NMM instead in order to buy time. She probably meant to set the timer a bit lower, but what can ya do when playing around with eldritch magics?

Since these are the elements of harmony, and therefore closely linked to emotion, I suspect strong feelings heavily influence their effects. Since Celestia was having a bit of a mental maelstrom of anger, sorrow and anxiety over the whole incident, she obviously had rather poor command of the elements. Being the wise sort, she figured that if she were to try again herself once the thousand years were up, the end result would be the same or worse, since fighting her dear sister once more would dredge up the same old storm.

So, in a show of precision planning and a hell of a gambit, she decided to divorce herself from the elements. Of course, she still needed someone else to use them to purify Luna. Giving command of them all to a single being would be too risky (what with folks having this nasty tendency to go mad with power) so she instead opted to spread the power around. Of course, keeping the elements as magic artifacts would have undermined that, since one could just steal all of them. She came up with a rather brilliant little solution: imbue the very essence of the elements into their guardians. Not only did this ensure that they’d be harder to gather up, it would also make it impossible to use them unless the guardians were all willing.

Of course, no-one willingly gives away ALL of their power. That’s where the little amulets come in. The elements require them to act as the focal point of their energies, so they cannot be unleashed without them. And Celestia keeps them in her vault. Pretty clever, no?

So how does that whole “graying-out” shebang factor into this? I suspect there’s a little failsafe in place. The elements can’t be used unless all the guardians are present, willing and free of mind-altering effects. Since Discord’s trickery was decidedly mind-altering, I suspect the elements would have been useless even if Dash was present in the initial attempt. That’s purely speculation, though, but I think it’s fairly likely.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:02PM EDT
Quote

I should also remind you that they like to say “you are the element of X” (I’d look for examples, but I don’t want to trawl through hours of pony right now). Not “you represent the element of X,” “you are.”

I like your explaination, Brownmane. You kind of elaborated on what I said above, and said some things I hadn’t thought about.


@Bruno: Not till tomorrow. In the US, that’s a few hours.

Five hours for me…

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 09:11PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 09:09PM EDT
Quote

@ fifths I guess I really mean I don’t wan’t to come off as a total ass and be hated by everyone.

@Solaire so Equestria really exists in an alternate dimension? That works great, actually. Then Ponies don’t have to follow our universe’s rules at all. Maybe they aren’t even carbon based. the gravitational pull of their earth might be different. we can already see how different the life on that planet is.This also helps explain why pegasi can fly.

I personally still like the aliens idea though, cause that means that we may one day come into contact with marshmallowkind.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:33PM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

@Twilitlord
Oh No, The Apocalypse Has begun!

Nothing Can Stop It Now!

Twilight…
Don’t… You… Dare…

Oh, now you’ve done it!

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:57PM EDT
Quote

@Blind Follower:

You’re assuming long-distance space travel is any easier than hopping to alternate realities. It would take years to travel to Pluto at the speed of light, if I remember correctly. And I think it’s about ten times the distance of our solar system to the next.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:23PM EDT
Quote

Explosive Lasers AKA Solaire AKA Sexiest wrote:

@Blind Follower:

You’re assuming long-distance space travel is any easier than hopping to alternate realities. It would take years to travel to Pluto at the speed of light, if I remember correctly. And I think it’s about ten times the distance of our solar system to the next.

Pluto is within the solar system. It would take minutes, maybe hours, at light speed, depending on its distance at the time due to its orbit. I believe you meant Alpha Centauri, it’d take about 4 years at light speed if I remember right. Besides, you’re not taking into account the current theories we have for FTL speeds, like using dark energy to squeeze space together like the tesseracts in A Wrinkle In Time.

Gives new meaning to the term warp, if you ask me.
Pic related.

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 10:40PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

OH MY GOD THIS SONG IS FUCKING AWESOME! HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT?!?

Fuck, the hairs on my arms are standing on end. Fuck. I need to make a sexy piano version right now!

Edit: Also, I don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about with the “deceptive cadence” joke. There isn’t a true deceptive cadence in this entire song. The closest thing they have is that they make the tonic chord into minor for Chrysalys’ part, which I…guess could be interpreted as a deceptive cadence? Traditionally, the decetive cadence is supposed to use an entirely different chord from the tonic, not just alter the tonic.

Err….what?

You haven’t seen this song in the season finale? The song everyone was jizzing their pants over?

BTW, The deceptive cadence is in the BBBFF Song, NOT This Day Aria


@Blind Follower:

In all seriousness. Welcome to the thread.


@Fifths:

Remember, Twilight Mentions Orion’s Belt on her dress for the Grand Galloping Gala. The only way you can see Orion’s belt is two possibilities:

1. You are on Earth.
2. You are very close to Earth.

Even a subtle shift in positions would throw the constellations out of whack. Also……Orion was a human…..in human mythology.

Let’s bring out that old image:


Brownmane wrote:

Of course, no-one willingly gives away ALL of their power. That’s where the little amulets come in. The elements require them to act as the focal point of their energies, so they cannot be unleashed without them. And Celestia keeps them in her vault. Pretty clever, no?

I really think keeping the elements in her vault is rather for safe keeping and not as a power preservation plan. After all…I really wouldn’t trust any of the Mane six with keeping such valuable artifacts safe….

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:52PM EDT
Quote

Back @Fifths and This Day Aria

I’ll admit, I actually forced myself to not listen to it until I watched the episode. I got goosebumps.

Also here’s the BBBFF reprise for you, man. The deceptive cadence is right at the very end get it because the deceptive Cadance walks in right then

Last edited Oct 09, 2012 at 11:02PM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT
Quote

@Twilitlord

I hate to burst your bubble but FTL travel is highly unlikely because of the fact that as a particle approaches the speed of light it’s mass increases, E=mc2, or m=c2/E. The speed of light is a constant, so as more energy is applied, the mass increase is directly proportional. So by the time you reach the speed of light or beyond your body would be compressed beyond the lethal limit. This phenomenon also makes it next to impossible because to surpass the speed of light you would have to input more energy to increase the velocity which would the increase the weight of the object in motion preventing it from exceeding the speed of light. However you can always take a shortcut to the nearest star system by using a wormhole or warping the fabric of the universe which would eliminate the problems of being compressed by your own mass.

You are not traveling at or beyond the speed of light, you are merely bringing two points in space closer together so in relativity the entrance to where you exited it will have appeared that you went faster than the speed of light but in reality you merely took a shortcut in the universe.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:08AM EDT
Oct 09, 2012 at 11:39PM EDT
Quote

>mfw I already knew all of that
>mfw your bringing space together was exactly what I was saying
>mfw that’s still technically layman’s FTL since you get somewhere faster than you would at lightspeed

I’m actually pretty well versed scientifically. Naturally, this means I’m majoring in hotel and restaurant management. You know, the one that requires little history and politics and only a little bit of science and math? Go figure.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:23AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:16AM EDT
Quote

Tim the Enchanter wrote:

@Twilitlord

I hate to burst your bubble but FTL travel is highly unlikely because of the fact that as a particle approaches the speed of light it’s mass increases, E=mc2, or m=c2/E. The speed of light is a constant, so as more energy is applied, the mass increase is directly proportional. So by the time you reach the speed of light or beyond your body would be compressed beyond the lethal limit. This phenomenon also makes it next to impossible because to surpass the speed of light you would have to input more energy to increase the velocity which would the increase the weight of the object in motion preventing it from exceeding the speed of light. However you can always take a shortcut to the nearest star system by using a wormhole or warping the fabric of the universe which would eliminate the problems of being compressed by your own mass.

You are not traveling at or beyond the speed of light, you are merely bringing two points in space closer together so in relativity the entrance to where you exited it will have appeared that you went faster than the speed of light but in reality you merely took a shortcut in the universe.

I’m going to bet that at least a quarter of the people here already know that there is a difference between taking a shortcut through the universe through hyperspace via wormhole and the fact that the probability of FTL will never happen. Unless the small chance that technology in the future will be so surpassed today’s modern technology. If I’m correct, that will be a very, VERY, small chance. I believe that time travel will have a higher probability of being invented.

That is not a wall of text.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:28AM EDT
Quote

@Twilitlord
I recall you said “you’re not taking into account the current theories we have for FTL speeds like using dark energy to squeeze space together like the tesseracts in A Wrinkle In Time.”.

Faster-than-light communications and travel refers to the propagation of information or matter faster than the speed of light like a tachyon.

I was mainly was addressing the improbability of going F.T.L. And your statement which was suggesting that by warping space you would go F.T.L. Wormholes are not a form of F.T.L. because they abide to the theory of relativity because they merely warp space, they do not push you to or beyond the speed of light.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:44AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:37AM EDT
Quote

Twilitlord wrote:

Hmm. I like that. Then necklace, necklace, necklace, necklace, necklace and big crown-thingy would just channel their powers?

@Tim: Hopefully, the pure friendship of ponies will defeat the absolute evil of the Rebecca Black album and save the world from its oncoming apocalypse.

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking; in shows, and in real life, crystalline structures are quite good at focusing energy.

So naturally, the Crystals they wear could be thought of the same way.

How far their ability to focus their powers extends depends on a few factors I havn’t figured out… So I’ll keep quiet on that for now.


…New topic this side…

I might as well make this a good time to consider how one explains Pinkie Pie’s Teleporting if one was playing a Pathfinder Campaign (Partly for fun, and partly cause I already considered it for my AU Comic).

You see, we never “see” her Teleport, and she seems to always go behind an object when she does it. And one can assume that may mean she’s in the shadow of the object…

Pathfinder has a Prestege Class that with just a couple of ranks in Dance and Stealth (Both Easy to get when one is a Bard, something many agree Pinkie is), one can begin taking levels in.

It’s called “Shadow Dancer”, and One of its abilities is to teleport through shadows instantly and can be used a fair number of times at higher levels. All it needs is to Begin and end in a place of dim light.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

@Twilitlord

I love how the hidden assumption is that there’s no point to learning history, politics, math, or science if you’re not going to make money with them.

Because fuck learning for learning’s sake, Daddy needs some fuckin’ money.

Also, what made you and phoneix think I hadn’t heard the ‘this day’ aria before? I heard it when I watched the finale, I just hadn’t realized how “OMG AWESOME” it was until today for…some reason.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:48AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:45AM EDT
Quote

@Tim: Yeah, I get what you mean. And I realize that a time-space warp is not FTL. However, you and I both know that if a warp was actually achieved, it would be labeled as “FTL” due to the fact an object would travel faster from point X to point Y going at the speed of light through the warp than an object going the long way at the same speed.

That’s the media for you.

@Fifths: Actually, I just really like working in restaurants and culinary. In fact, if I hadn’t discovered culinary arts, I probably would have studied something scientific.

And to answer your question, I think your original post had an extra “the”, then I just kept seeing it. You’re right, I can actually read now.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 12:51AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:46AM EDT
Quote

Fifths wrote:

@Twilitlord

I love how the hidden assumption is that there’s no point to learning history, politics, math, or science if you’re not going to make money with them.

Because fuck learning for learning’s sake, Daddy needs some fuckin’ money.

Also, what made you and phoneix think I hadn’t heard the ‘this day’ aria before? I heard it when I watched the finale, I just hadn’t realized how “OMG AWESOME” it was until today for…some reason.

….For….some reason?

Aren’t you a musician? You should be paying attention to these things. :(


And now we’re discussing the physics of FTL travel?

I love you guys.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:24AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!