Forums / General

195,599 total conversations in 5,383 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
KYM Pony General VI: Return of the Poni

Last posted Apr 19, 2013 at 12:20AM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
10,167 conversations with 235 participants

Well, that page went quickly.

You might even say it came to me as a bit of a…

>_>

shock.

Also, I’m pretty sure November isn’t going to get here.

If it does:

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 02:03AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 02:02AM EDT

Whoo hoo! Midnight! It’s officially the 2nd anniversary of MLP: FiM!

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:13AM EDT

(Overused, but too appropriate to pass up)

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 03:22AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 03:21AM EDT

Blue Yoshi wrote:

Whoo hoo! Midnight! It’s officially the 2nd anniversary of MLP: FiM!

Aww… I’ve only got here in the last 8 Months…

How on earth did I not notice any of the fandom’s work before this year?

Still, time for me to celebrate by watching a few key episodes and hoping my shoulder stops hurting…

What? I’ve been carrying a computer around all day.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:22AM EDT

@Applelicious
Poor AJ, i have eagerly anticipated her -licious version, but then Big Macintosh and Derpy have to steal her show.

And Raritylicious is gone. It’s quite sad, because that version was really awesome. Tabitha St.Germain voiced it, referenced “mêmes” and took the idea to a different level, but perhaps it was a bit too much Rarity for Hasbro, so it had to be taken down.

@Fifths and Disdayaria
Wut? I was totally taken aback when i watched it for the first time. It’s such a clever song and the visuals are matching perfectly, but i think, what this song does best is: Let the story flow. Usually a song is interrupting the flow heavily, especially Smile Smile Smile and Winter Wrap Up are so long and use so much screen time, that could have been filled otherwise – more dialogue for instance. I don’t mind watching those songs on their own, but during the episodes i usually just wait impatiently until they end.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:13AM EDT

Two years ago today /co/ found something interesting.

Two years ago today men and women alike started watching something society said was for a younger generation.

But two years ago today, they did it anyways.

Two years ago today a new brand of Friendship entered the world.

And the world was never the same.

Now that that’s out of the way, it’s time to PARTY HARD.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:52AM EDT

Do you even science?

FTL is possible, or so it has been discovered by CERN. According to Albert Einstein’s 106-year-old theory of special relativity, nothing can travel faster than light in a vacuum because its particles have no mass. Well, think again. Not once, but twice they were able to launch a particle that was able to travel faster than lightspeed.

Given, it was only 60 nanoseconds, but they’d beaten it nonetheless.

On a side note:

Dem 6th Paragraph.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 09:56AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 09:53AM EDT

Ah yes, the 2 year birthday of MLP:FiM. Well, looks like I’ll be watching a marathon of episodes when I get home!

Gummy is a monster on the dance floor.

On a side note, this is also about the one year anniversary of my bronyhood. Yay!

And they took down the Raritylicious message? NOOOOO! That’s a shame… the cycle just isn’t complete anymore.

@This Day Aria
I agree, that song is actually my favourite song in the series. I mean wow, Cadence can sing! Of course, I’ve always enjoyed “villain songs” in cartoons anyway. I remember going back to watch that song again a couple times after I had finished watching the episode for the first time all those months ago…

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 09:55AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 09:54AM EDT

@Cern, FTL and RandomMan

I am sorry, but Einstein’s theory is still unbeaten. Both measurments were erroneous due to a loose cable. So nope no world shaken here. The poor guy, the scientist who discovered it resigned as well.

Here some sources:
one

two

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:19AM EDT

YO PAWNY, I HERD YOU LIKE PONIES
SO I PUT A PONY IN YOUR PONY MEME SO YOU CAN PONY WHILE YOU PONY

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:39AM EDT

Dammit, I had an opportunity to get a 3-page-get streak with a birthday post and I was too tired to realize it. Ah well.

And RandomMan, Whitishcollar’s right. It was a miscalculation due to a loose cable. In fact, when the results were first released, CERN begged the scientific community to find the mistake, and when they figured it out, the two supervisors in charge of the project resigned.

I love it when I read a recap of something online (Cracked this time) the day before I need to use it.

In other words, true FTL is, by our current scientific knowledge, impossible. However, there are theories out right now on how one could warp space, essentially getting somewhere faster than conventionally at lightspeed.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:53AM EDT

@Science stuff

Person 1 who knows nothing about science asserts proposition A about science.

Person 2 who knows equally nothing about science asserts proposition B in vehement objection!

Silly argument ensues and everyone is secretly laughing at persons 1 and 2.

Seriously, all you guys are doing is posting news articles at each other. This isn’t an argument based on your own understanding of the universe or natural law, but based on what the people in the news have said.

@Pony anniversary

Today, let us thank the all-powerful Faust for descending from the heavens unto the dark earth to give us the gift of poni. THANK YOU LORD FAUST!

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 11:09AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:01AM EDT

Fifths posted:

Speaking of knowing nothing about science, Dash, are you aware of the rather energetic exothermic reactions undergone by alkali metals, like cesium and rubidium, when combined with water?

That’s what I thought…
I think we should all start runni-

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 01:10PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 01:02PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

Seriously, all you guys are doing is posting news articles at each other. This isn’t an argument based on your own understanding of the universe or natural law, but based on what the people in the news have said.

It can be a person’s own knowledge, but this knowledge was optained through news articles or books that person had read. I doubt you learned about music all by yourself, surely you’ve read some articles or guides about it to achieve your current level of knowledge. In what way can that not be applied to topics related to science?

The universe is a general interest of me, so I’ve read articles about the subject in my free time. Because of this I have a decent level of knowledge about it. I was incorrect on the CERN because I wasn’t updated on the developments afterwards. But does that mean I can no longer use articles as an example to back up my opinion? Linking articles shows where you obtained that knowledge, and with that can also back up what you said. The people who corrected me on my CERN thing linked me to articles that corrected the articles that I linked, to show that what they said was correct.

Seriously Fifths, I don’t understand why you care. At least bring up the argument that it’s no longer related to ponies, then I might be able to side with you. Just “A bloo bloo, I hate this subject, thus it shouldn’t be discussed” won’t help.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 01:39PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 01:18PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Fifths wrote:

It can be a person’s own knowledge, but this knowledge was optained through news articles or books that person had read. I doubt you learned about music all by yourself, surely you’ve read some articles or guides about it to achieve your current level of knowledge. In what way can that not be applied to topics related to science?

The universe is a general interest of me, so I’ve read articles about the subject in my free time. Because of this I have a decent level of knowledge about it. I was incorrect on the CERN because I wasn’t updated on the developments afterwards. But does that mean I can no longer use articles as an example to back up my opinion? Linking articles shows where you obtained that knowledge, and with that can also back up what you said. The people who corrected me on my CERN thing linked me to articles that corrected the articles that I linked, to show that what they said was correct.

Seriously Fifths, I don’t understand why you care. At least bring up the argument that it’s no longer related to ponies, then I might be able to side with you. Just “A bloo bloo, I hate this subject, thus it shouldn’t be discussed” won’t help.

No, you’re right. That post was untactful and not well thought out.

I don’t want to discourage talking about science, I just find it kind of…funny that you guys are having an argument about science where the criteria for truth and the stronger argument isn’t whose idea best describes the observed function of the natural world, but whose argument can have the most authoritative statements linked to it.

What bugged me is that you guys seemed to be taking attitudes against each other like “Pah ha ha, you fool, how could you think X when clearly Y is the case” without really having much reason to believe X is stronger than Y other than having news articles saying so. When laymen discuss a matter they are only superficially acquainted with, there should be a humility in the way they speak about it.

-

In other news, my ears are apparently full of fuck. I just listened to the Smile song, another song that I was underwhelmed with when I originally heard it, and holy balls, how did I not hear the awesome? Not only is the music great, it really endears Pinkie’s character to me. Think I have to switch her with Applejack on my hierarchy of favorite pony. Sorry AJ.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 01:35PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 01:33PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

I just find it kind of…funny that you guys are having an argument about science where the criteria for truth and the stronger argument isn’t whose idea best describes the observed function of the natural world, but whose argument can have the most authoritative statements linked to it.

Welcome to the world of Academia and proper referencing! I can’t say anything at my university or write anything on my essays without someone asking for a reference! LINK ALL THE REFERENCES.

ISN’T IT GRAND?

I hate higher education so much. :(

Fifths wrote:

Think I have to switch her with Applejack on my hierarchy of favorite pony. Sorry AJ.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 02:07PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 02:05PM EDT

@Phoneix

There’s a difference between saying “Here is a thesis from this study. I am going to now demonstrate my comprehension of it and defend it with original arguments.” and “Here is a thesis from a super sciency publication. Accept it blindly because it’s from a super sciency publication.”

Not that accepting something as true because a higher authority said it as a bad thing. There are some "(see: a lot) of areas of knowledge that I just don’t have much expertise in and I’m going to have to rely on the authority of professionals in that field when I want to make a statement about something in that field. Still, I feel it’s inappropriate to pretend to superior comprehension when it’s not there.

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:33PM EDT

burning_phoneix wrote:

Fifths wrote:

I just find it kind of…funny that you guys are having an argument about science where the criteria for truth and the stronger argument isn’t whose idea best describes the observed function of the natural world, but whose argument can have the most authoritative statements linked to it.

Welcome to the world of Academia and proper referencing! I can’t say anything at my university or write anything on my essays without someone asking for a reference! LINK ALL THE REFERENCES.

ISN’T IT GRAND?

I hate higher education so much. :(

Fifths wrote:

Think I have to switch her with Applejack on my hierarchy of favorite pony. Sorry AJ.

References are important! I know they can be bothersome, but the idea is that you show what your resources have been, how you used them and how you bring forth the idea. It also shows if you are up to date with the latest developments and if your work is verifiable.

Another part is: You are giving credit to the original author. It is not only a courtesy to give the source, but also a necessity.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 02:49PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 02:45PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

There’s a difference between saying “Here is a thesis from this study. I am going to now demonstrate my comprehension of it and defend it with original arguments.” and “Here is a thesis from a super sciency publication. Accept it blindly because it’s from a super sciency publication.”

The way I saw it, we were saying “Here’s a thesis I have, or a scientific fact that I can back up. Here are credible sources to back up that fact.” Last time I checked, that’s how you wrote a credible scientific paper…

not that any of those media sources everyone’s used are “credible unbiased sources”…

Also, Rainbow Dash, didn’t I tell you how unstable Cesium and Rubidium are? Look at what you’ve done now, blowing up all of Twi’s science equipment!

@RandomMan’s side note: Nice. You could give some credit to Amanda B too, you know. That’s right, I read the whole thing.

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 03:04PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 03:01PM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

Fifths wrote:

The way I saw it, we were saying “Here’s a thesis I have, or a scientific fact that I can back up. Here are credible sources to back up that fact.” Last time I checked, that’s how you wrote a credible scientific paper…

not that any of those media sources everyone’s used are “credible unbiased sources”…

Also, Rainbow Dash, didn’t I tell you how unstable Cesium and Rubidium are? Look at what you’ve done now, blowing up all of Twi’s science equipment!

@RandomMan’s side note: Nice. You could give some credit to Amanda B too, you know. That’s right, I read the whole thing.

Actually, Platus and I both helped, she just chose to only use one of my quotes.

The original article was going to cover MLP fanfiction in general, but after the buttload of information Platus and I gave her, she switched to an interview with Kkat. She wasn’t sure yet what would happen with the rest of the info we gave her, maybe we still get a fanfic article, maybe not.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:15PM EDT

I find it interesting how everypony and their Friends has started talking about some real life scientific concept or another; despite it being tangentially related to Ponies.

What makes more sense on a pony forum is to discuss the parameters of Logic and physics as they apply in the show; and how they may differ from reality. (Magic being a key difference.)

Notable differences besides magic:
-Gravity is more forgiving (Iron anvil won’t kill a pony) and thus probably weaker. Also Ponies seem to be reasonably able to fight against gravity easier than a human or pony on earth can (Pegasus with those undersized wings, Twilight being thrown in the air by Pinkie and the town in Episode 3, plus “Rapidash” Twilight levitating for a moment. Not to mention Pinkie’s flying machine works better than its real life counter-part attempts.)
-Biological Healing is Accelerated (A few Days as opposed to a couple of weeks for a small bird; note that one tends to think it should take longer seeing as Dash is larger than a bird.) So There is probably more energy in her cells to draw on than in life, plus a faster metabolism that goes with it. (I haven’t checked the Exact Parameters of the physics of metabolism, so there may be more going on as well).
- Time and space requires notably less energy to warp in comparison to moving matter when using Magic. (Compare how much Twilight struggles to move a giant container of milk to how easily she jumps through space and time.)
-Select Materials, specifically biological ones, seem to be stronger than their Real life counterparts. (Consider how fast Rainbow dash Collided with Twilight in Episode 1, That should have caused serious damage in real life; or at least a bruise, and yet Twilight barely noticed.)

Yeah, a lot of these are common to most cartoons. The fact it seems logically consistent with those cartoon physics is a great plus.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:46PM EDT

Wow. I didn’t even know today was the 2nd year anniversary of MLP FiM. I think I started watching the show either June or July last year. Hopefully, this fandom will be around for many more years.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:53PM EDT

@Zeroblue

“What makes more sense on a pony forum is to discuss the parameters of Logic and physics as they apply in the show; and how they may differ from reality. (Magic being a key difference.)”

I would just like to point out something about logic that people sometimes misunderstand when they use that word in regards to cartoon physics and what not. Formal logic has one great rule that it is concerned with, and that is that propositions do not contradict themselves. A belief that entails both X and not X can be regarded as logically impossible (It’s raining and it’s not raining cannot be the case.). If a belief entails X or not X, then we can know it’s true through logic alone (It’s raining or it’s not raining" has to be the case, to believe otherwise leads to contradiction)

When people say “Oh wow, Pinkie managed to beat Rainbow Dash in a race, fuck logic.” Well…not really. As far as logic is concerned, the proposition “Pinkie Pie is faster than Rainbow Dash” is just as valid as “Pinkie Pie is not faster than Rainbow Dash.” Likewise, when we see ponies defying gravity, this doesn’t really breach the rules of logic because the proposition “Ponies are governed by the laws of gravity.” is just as logically valid as “Ponies are not governed by gravity.”

The fact that Equestria has different physical laws from earth can’t really be called a breach of logic. As I’ve stated, earth physics are just as logically valid as crazy cartoon physics, the acception or denial of either does not lead to contradiction.

The show can only truly be called illogical when it contains contradicting premises. If it’s established that “Rainbow Dash is always faster than Pinkie Pie” and Pinkie beats Dash in a race, showing that “Rainbow Dash is not always faster than Pinkie Pie.”, then we have a logical contradiction.

FIM contains no such contradictions, just a lot of loopy physics that we aren’t used to.

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:12PM EDT

@ZeroBlue4:

You know… You could say everybody, instead of everypony. Frankly, I don’t see what the point of that is. We would’ve known what you meant if you said everybody.

It just seems like that’s the kind of thing everybody’s doing just because everybody else is doing it.

@Science:

I like how we went from pony anatomy to pony’s being on our plane of existence to pony’s not being on our plane of existence to space travel to FTL to science paper etiquette.

@Anniversary:

Neat.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:04PM EDT

Fifths wrote:

@Zeroblue

“What makes more sense on a pony forum is to discuss the parameters of Logic and physics as they apply in the show; and how they may differ from reality. (Magic being a key difference.)”

I would just like to point out something about logic that people sometimes misunderstand when they use that word in regards to cartoon physics and what not. Formal logic has one great rule that it is concerned with, and that is that propositions do not contradict themselves. A belief that entails both X and not X can be regarded as logically impossible (It’s raining and it’s not raining cannot be the case.). If a belief entails X or not X, then we can know it’s true through logic alone (It’s raining or it’s not raining" has to be the case, to believe otherwise leads to contradiction)

When people say “Oh wow, Pinkie managed to beat Rainbow Dash in a race, fuck logic.” Well…not really. As far as logic is concerned, the proposition “Pinkie Pie is faster than Rainbow Dash” is just as valid as “Pinkie Pie is not faster than Rainbow Dash.” Likewise, when we see ponies defying gravity, this doesn’t really breach the rules of logic because the proposition “Ponies are governed by the laws of gravity.” is just as logically valid as “Ponies are not governed by gravity.”

The fact that Equestria has different physical laws from earth can’t really be called a breach of logic. As I’ve stated, earth physics are just as logically valid as crazy cartoon physics, the acception or denial of either does not lead to contradiction.

The show can only truly be called illogical when it contains contradicting premises. If it’s established that “Rainbow Dash is always faster than Pinkie Pie” and Pinkie beats Dash in a race, showing that “Rainbow Dash is not always faster than Pinkie Pie.”, then we have a logical contradiction.

FIM contains no such contradictions, just a lot of loopy physics that we aren’t used to.

Thanks for the little reminder on the definition of logic.

What I meant by “logic” was… Using reasoning to create Palausible sounding explanations for things in the show, either through Conjecture, Deduction, Analysis, or some other “Logical” method.

I’m quite fond of conjecture when I’m making theories about a show, as although it might not always come up with the “right” answer, it usually let’s me come up with an interesting one that can be explored.

(Assuming I’m using “conjecture” right, considering the best definition I found is “an unproven Proposition that sounds correct”)

Anyways, a good way to explain Pinkie Pie’s speed being comparable to Rainbow Dash’s is any combination of the following:

-Pinkie Pie is usually on a sugar rush of some description.
-She also seems to know a few shortcuts through reality. (Unknown what they are as of yet, however, in A Pathfinder RPG setting, I’d just make her a Shadow Dancer.)
-She seems to be well traveled enough to have developed a level of endurance. (She’s got stuff all over equestria. And to get it there she has to have been there… assuming I’m remembering right.)
-She’s often seen using vehicles that she seems to pull out of nowhere… Meaning she may be “cheating”. (She may not be, but hey, still plausible.)

Also good to mention is that the one scene where Pinkie’s Speed is directly compared to Dash’s is when Dash is getting tired and Pinkie is furious. So there’s that as well.

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:24PM EDT

Guise, the only logical reason why Pinkie can go faster than dash is because Pinkie is a Super Sayian.

Also hi. Been too distracted by Pokemon Black 2 to post here lately (or do much else at all really) but I should be able to again soon.

Oct 10, 2012 at 08:12PM EDT

What a strange and fantastic trip it has been.
Two years is a short amount of time to comprehend how quickly the definition of an elementary-grade cartoon for young girls can be rewritten into something completely unexpected, spawning a multitude of creative minds and media and rooting itself squarely into Internet immortality.
I used to have no hope for television anymore. All of the days of Dexter’s Laboratory and Ed Edd and Eddy were long gone and leaving me feeling incomplete and wishing I remembered those days more. I now knew how our parents felt when they recall the days of Leave it to Beaver or The Brady Bunch re-running every once in a while, and I wondered when the 90’s kids’ shows would start replacing those throwback specials.
I was browsing the Minecraft forums around March 10th this year when I came across a certain thread with dozens, and I mean dozens of individuals praising the discovery of “that one show on that new channel” and practically using up so much discussion space that a moderator had to move in and shut the thread down and put it somewhere else just to redirect the influx of fans.
Such a move caused a big enough of a protest on those forums to get my attention and see what they were all making a big deal out of.
A cartoonified toy advertisement. Oh God.
Initially I didn’t care for it, really. It sure wasn’t a true 90’s kids show, and I had a project due in school soon, so I only decided to look up information on the show for a bit. And I was led to the entry on this very site to read up about it.
If it was supposedly spreading to all ages and both genders enough that I was considered to be living under a rock when I first started asking about the show on the MC forums, I took a break from researching George Washington Carver to check out the first few minutes of the pilot.
Poor Mr. Carver, the project about him never did get done…
It was like I was being thrown back in time where every quirky joke made enough sense to crack up about it, and every character was likable. It was the mid-2000s all over again. That alone gave me the motivation to go through every episode and catch up in time to watch Shining Armor and Cadence get married in what was in my opinion as the most Disney-esque show that wasn’t actually by Disney, and I was truly dumbstruck on how I could have initially thought differently.
And since then I’ve just sort of been along for the ride. I’ve joined KYM to discuss it from time to time, getting to know several of you and apprehensively waiting for November to roll around. I’ve seen PowerPoint presentations done on it, cringed at live stage adaptations based on it, and seen the evolutions of countless memes and creative works generated by the people who watch it. My attachment to the show goes beyond how much I’ve ever appreciated any previous cartoon and how widespread the fandom has got to never fails to impress me.
Perhaps the beauty of it all is the momentum it has gained. The support for what began as just a toy advertisement was never supposed to be this ambitious, and expectations can and should keep getting surpassed for every next installment of the adventures of Twilight Sparkle and the rest of her friends we get to see, and until then I will be patient.
I never really got to thank the individuals who constructed the article for the show on this site before until now, though. We may not realize it, but every person who contributes is pioneering the way to bridging the gap between the rest of the people who have yet to appreciate this gem of a show.

Love and tolerate, bronies.

-Insouciant

P.S. Why yes, I did take a black and white image of myself with my webcam and covered my face to try and be funny.
P.P.S. Why yes, I did make a second forum post even though I said I never wanted to.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:45PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

Guise, the only logical reason why Pinkie can go faster than dash is because Pinkie is a Super Sayian.

Also hi. Been too distracted by Pokemon Black 2 to post here lately (or do much else at all really) but I should be able to again soon.

Nope.jpg
She is battery powered

P.S. I know Random already posted the OG pic here (after I showed it to him in the IRC by the way)
lil thieving bunny

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 06:56AM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 10:35PM EDT

@Derpy
MFW I can see crotch boobs:

I do understand that mammary glands of a pony are located on the crotch, but I honestly do not need the added realism which is borderline content for this site.

Oh and happy second anniversary everyone!

Last edited Oct 10, 2012 at 11:15PM EDT
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:01PM EDT

@Everyone trying to define the physics of Pinkie Pie
I really tried to care…

Really, Sweetie Belle said it best:

That’s about all that can be said.

@Derpy
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that picture is against forum rules.
You could check with a mod to be sure, but you may want to just delete it.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:42AM EDT

@Parrot: Well he needs to check with a mod now, delete/edit time is up.

On the subject of battery-powered pinkie, this will haunt your nightmares:

@Derpy: Yeah, I saw they released a statement about it today. Another case of Did Not Do the Research, unfortunately. They seriously thought we watched Gen 1… AGAIN

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 01:01AM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:59AM EDT

@Derpy Vasquez:

Distraction from Pony Anatomy?

Watch as we dissect for 5 pages how the anatomy of those G1 ponies is all wrong.

Oct 11, 2012 at 06:52AM EDT

Twilitlord wrote:

@Parrot: Well he needs to check with a mod now, delete/edit time is up.

On the subject of battery-powered pinkie, this will haunt your nightmares:

@Derpy: Yeah, I saw they released a statement about it today. Another case of Did Not Do the Research, unfortunately. They seriously thought we watched Gen 1… AGAIN

It’s like the Lyra Plushie oral edition.

Only more disturbing.

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 07:01AM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 07:00AM EDT

@ That “Brony” Shirt:

That was my first reaction. To this day, it is still my reaction.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:16AM EDT

Have you seen this Article here? I know, i have linked to that site before, but i just like analysis and tl;drs. A couple of interesting points are mentioned there:

For instance:
- Forgetting that MLP:FIM is show about horses. At least that occured to me during the episode “Read it and weep”. (BTW one of my favourite episodes)

I really thaught “wow Dash you really look like a horse” and the next thing was “oh yeah i’am stupid”

- Humans in equestria would abstract from the pony characters. It has been recently mentioned in this thread, but adding humans could break the immersion. When humans are around, you would start to see the world from a different perspective, because you would relate to the humans and start alienating the ponys.

- An explanation for the huge amount of pony crossovers. The characters of the mane6 are well defined and you can see similiar character traits in other shows/games/books/people everywhere and “being a pony” is not part of a character.

Basically the article is really worth reading!

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 12:09PM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:02PM EDT

Whitishcollar wrote:

Have you seen this Article here? I know, i have linked to that site before, but i just like analysis and tl;drs. A couple of interesting points are mentioned there:

For instance:
- Forgetting that MLP:FIM is show about horses. At least that occured to me during the episode “Read it and weep”. (BTW one of my favourite episodes)

I really thaught “wow Dash you really look like a horse” and the next thing was “oh yeah i’am stupid”

- Humans in equestria would abstract from the pony characters. It has been recently mentioned in this thread, but adding humans could break the immersion. When humans are around, you would start to see the world from a different perspective, because you would relate to the humans and start alienating the ponys.

- An explanation for the huge amount of pony crossovers. The characters of the mane6 are well defined and you can see similiar character traits in other shows/games/books/people everywhere and “being a pony” is not part of a character.

Basically the article is really worth reading!

Just read the whole article, and it’s really well done! I’ve never really thought about it before, but now that it’s mentioned I guess I do sometimes forget that the characters are ponies. I usually just see them as “characters” or “personalities,” their species is just a side note. An interesting point indeed.

I also liked that bit about how many crossovers there are. One of the things I enjoy most about the world of ponies is how adaptable they are. Really, you can make a pony for just about anything.

A good read overall. Worth a good couple minutes of your time.

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:43PM EDT

I like this.

I also like this.

So naturally, I like this.

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 05:28PM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 05:27PM EDT

Scanning image…

Unusual manestyle detected. Hexagonal eye-shine detected. Crystalline structures detected.

Conclusion: Subject is citizen of Crystal Empire. More complete analysis requires additional data input.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:05PM EDT

Windigo with salad wrote:

Who dat?

Calling it right now: Rule 63 Shining Armour.

Proof? None. So basically just as viable as every other theory.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:29PM EDT

And then there were Season 3 spoilers.

WARNING! Possible spoilers ahead. Proceed at your own caution!
Notable pieces include:
  • An official soundtrack release strongly hinted.
  • A return visit to Manehattan strongly hinted.
  • “Hasbro loves ponies, a shortened season is no indicator of the future.”
  • Both season 3 songs we’ve seen so far (Crystal Ponies, Failure Song) are from episode one.
  • Meghan all but confirmed an upcoming episode that explores the ancient Celestia/Luna conflict.
  • The villain from the Crystal Empire episodes is named King Somber.
  • Team all but confirmed the return of Discord (not just DeLancie). DeLancie has lots of unused lines from previously that will probably be in the DVD bonus features.
  • Meghan used to use the term pegacorn, but after seeing what fans were using, all the writers now use alicorn instead.
    Jayson says the fact that alicorns have only been seen in positions of power is definitely by design.
  • Jayson and Meghan were just speculating for the following points but Jayson said he’d really like to visit the griffon kingdom in an upcoming ep, and Meghan said she’d like to see “Luna’s abandoned moon colony.”
  • Jayson called Star Swirl the Bearded the Merlin of Equestria, but it didn’t sound like they had any immediate plans to do anything with him.
  • Meghan and Jayson take the world building very seriously. They helped put together that map but intentionally didn’t make it a globe so they’d have lots of future freedom to explore. They said the worldbuilding is there to reward multiple viewings. It’s never going to be a serialized show, and each episode has to stand on its own, Meghan pointed out the Grand Galloping Gala as an early example of doing callbacks and expanding on the show’s universe.
  • Meghan studied mythology in college and researches myths from many cultures, not just Greece. She says they were going to use a mythological creature at one point and rejected it because it had “human elements” (I’m guessing centaur?)
  • Jayson says they try to keep pony technology limited, with even the filmstrip projector chosen because it’s not modern. Meghan joked we’d never see Twilight tweeting. Jayson later had to shrug his shoulders about the night-vision goggles seen in the clip.
    Hasbro execs were sitting in the audience (right in front of PictishBeast) and Mike Vogel kept looking over at them when answering questions and they would give imperceptible nods. Pictish felt like Mike was disappointed at not giving a S3 release date.
  • Meghan said she really wants to explore how the monarchy works in an upcoming episode. Not as a joke answer either, she really seemed history-nerd about it. Maybe this will be the Celestia/Luna ep.
  • Hoofed mammals can talk, other animals generally can’t. (Exception for dragons, etc). This came from Lauren early in development. Hoofed mammals are the “people” of Equestria.
  • As a joke, Mike/Brian said that season 12 would feature Spike and Rarity as a couple, following the passage of the “Pony-Dragon Marriage Act.”

New York Comic Con Panel Details
Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 08:40PM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT

@Windigo and SweetAndDelicious:

TOO. MUCH. INFORMATION!

Last edited Oct 11, 2012 at 08:35PM EDT
Oct 11, 2012 at 08:34PM EDT

SweetAndDelicious wrote:

And then there were Season 3 spoilers.

WARNING! Possible spoilers ahead. Proceed at your own caution!
Notable pieces include:
  • An official soundtrack release strongly hinted.
  • A return visit to Manehattan strongly hinted.
  • “Hasbro loves ponies, a shortened season is no indicator of the future.”
  • Both season 3 songs we’ve seen so far (Crystal Ponies, Failure Song) are from episode one.
  • Meghan all but confirmed an upcoming episode that explores the ancient Celestia/Luna conflict.
  • The villain from the Crystal Empire episodes is named King Somber.
  • Team all but confirmed the return of Discord (not just DeLancie). DeLancie has lots of unused lines from previously that will probably be in the DVD bonus features.
  • Meghan used to use the term pegacorn, but after seeing what fans were using, all the writers now use alicorn instead.
    Jayson says the fact that alicorns have only been seen in positions of power is definitely by design.
  • Jayson and Meghan were just speculating for the following points but Jayson said he’d really like to visit the griffon kingdom in an upcoming ep, and Meghan said she’d like to see “Luna’s abandoned moon colony.”
  • Jayson called Star Swirl the Bearded the Merlin of Equestria, but it didn’t sound like they had any immediate plans to do anything with him.
  • Meghan and Jayson take the world building very seriously. They helped put together that map but intentionally didn’t make it a globe so they’d have lots of future freedom to explore. They said the worldbuilding is there to reward multiple viewings. It’s never going to be a serialized show, and each episode has to stand on its own, Meghan pointed out the Grand Galloping Gala as an early example of doing callbacks and expanding on the show’s universe.
  • Meghan studied mythology in college and researches myths from many cultures, not just Greece. She says they were going to use a mythological creature at one point and rejected it because it had “human elements” (I’m guessing centaur?)
  • Jayson says they try to keep pony technology limited, with even the filmstrip projector chosen because it’s not modern. Meghan joked we’d never see Twilight tweeting. Jayson later had to shrug his shoulders about the night-vision goggles seen in the clip.
    Hasbro execs were sitting in the audience (right in front of PictishBeast) and Mike Vogel kept looking over at them when answering questions and they would give imperceptible nods. Pictish felt like Mike was disappointed at not giving a S3 release date.
  • Meghan said she really wants to explore how the monarchy works in an upcoming episode. Not as a joke answer either, she really seemed history-nerd about it. Maybe this will be the Celestia/Luna ep.
  • Hoofed mammals can talk, other animals generally can’t. (Exception for dragons, etc). This came from Lauren early in development. Hoofed mammals are the “people” of Equestria.
  • As a joke, Mike/Brian said that season 12 would feature Spike and Rarity as a couple, following the passage of the “Pony-Dragon Marriage Act.”

New York Comic Con Panel Details

Aw, yeah!

Though honestly, none of that is really ‘mind-blowing.’
Most of the info is just general concepts and ideas while the more specific things were largely theorized and hinted at previously.
It is awesome to see some of them more directly confirmed, though!

The wait for season three is getting harder and harder the closer we get.

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:12PM EDT

I find this artist’s style fascinating. The bodacious-momma curves give it a pleasing aspect that is totally non-sexual!

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:20PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!