Forums / Discussion / General

171,263 total conversations in 5,502 threads

+ New Thread

Science General

Last posted Aug 19, 2012 at 06:44PM EDT. Added Jul 01, 2012 at 05:40PM EDT
118 posts from 23 users

ConnerABacon wrote:

Oh, a question:

Now that we’ve found the higgs boson (or at least are 90% sure we have), can we start work on manipulating the higgs field and create artificial gravity, anti-gravity, and gravity-based propulsion systems?

The Higgs field has nothing to do with gravity. For a good tl;dr explanation, read here. So to answer your question, never.

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:58PM EDT
Science isn’t about why it’s about why not!

I know this line was meant as a joke but i personally hold this as truth.

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:19PM EDT

404 user not found wrote:

I feel you on that sometimes, haha

Jul 13, 2012 at 06:13PM EDT

I’ve always felt (and often shared a tl;dr essay on the subject) that science isn’t about “Why?” but rather about “How?”

“Why?” is a more philosophical question, don’t you think?

Jul 15, 2012 at 06:45AM EDT

I’m a fan for progress for the sake of progress. Many people don’t see the point, but the thing is, we need to become more and more advanced if we wish to survive as a species.

I am very aware that our planet will eventually die from pollution and resource loss. No amount of efficiency and recycling will solve that. We will have to move on eventually, and I think that Mars is our next best bet.

Mars doesn’t have an atmosphere of its own, and it’s core has cooled. However, we can just do what we’ve been doing here to create a new atmosphere; pump greenhouse gasses out. The sun will strip them away, so we just need to produce it faster than the sun can strip it away.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:59AM EDT

Mars actually does have an atmosphere; it’s 95% CO2, which, as we know, is one of the most mentioned greenhouse gases. So, in order to make it breathable for humans, we’d need to add lots of N2 and O2 so that it matches the composition of Earth’s atmosphere (78% N2, 20.9% O2). Doing that would do nothing for creating a greenhouse effect on Mars, so this isn’t a feasible option, at least not on a planet-wide scale. Colonization of Mars will most likely have to be done using some type of biodome system, where Earth-like atmospheres can be contained.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:15PM EDT

opspe wrote:

Mars actually does have an atmosphere; it’s 95% CO2, which, as we know, is one of the most mentioned greenhouse gases. So, in order to make it breathable for humans, we’d need to add lots of N2 and O2 so that it matches the composition of Earth’s atmosphere (78% N2, 20.9% O2). Doing that would do nothing for creating a greenhouse effect on Mars, so this isn’t a feasible option, at least not on a planet-wide scale. Colonization of Mars will most likely have to be done using some type of biodome system, where Earth-like atmospheres can be contained.

Oops, sorry, what I meant was that it has a very thin atmosphere.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:41PM EDT

While on the subject of planets…

You should try out this game, Kerbal Space Program.

You can build rockets and send them into space, (Or not…) orbit the planet or perhaps even land on the moon if you’re good enough.

I probably just accidentally the whole advertising rule, but I have to say, it’s currently eating up my hours as I attempt to get my apogee close enough to the moon to start orbiting it.

(Try not to fly too fast away from Earth, you’ll get stuck in a circular orbit around the sun that will take about a day (literally) to finish…)

EDIT: Actually, it’s not the Earth.

Last edited Jul 15, 2012 at 01:01PM EDT
Jul 15, 2012 at 12:54PM EDT

Well truly that line makes sense

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:40PM EDT

量子 Meme wrote:

While on the subject of planets…

You should try out this game, Kerbal Space Program.

You can build rockets and send them into space, (Or not…) orbit the planet or perhaps even land on the moon if you’re good enough.

I probably just accidentally the whole advertising rule, but I have to say, it’s currently eating up my hours as I attempt to get my apogee close enough to the moon to start orbiting it.

(Try not to fly too fast away from Earth, you’ll get stuck in a circular orbit around the sun that will take about a day (literally) to finish…)

EDIT: Actually, it’s not the Earth.

Yeah I love this game :D

Oh BTW, get rid of those fins on your orbital craft. They add weight.

Any weight that doesn’t come from fuel or engines is evil and needs to die in a fire. Optimize your rockets as much as possible.

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:48PM EDT

ConnerABacon wrote:

Yeah I love this game :D

Oh BTW, get rid of those fins on your orbital craft. They add weight.

Any weight that doesn’t come from fuel or engines is evil and needs to die in a fire. Optimize your rockets as much as possible.

Sting, I’ve crashed into the moon before now, I think I (almost) know what I’m doing.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 03:06AM EDT
Jul 16, 2012 at 02:59AM EDT

So I’ve recently read about a proposed design for a nuclear spacecraft, developed under Project Orion. Basically, nuclear devices are fired from magazines at certain spots under the bottom of the spacecraft, and the explosions put pressure on the Pusher, which in turn distributes that pressure to the upper parts of the space ship, thrusting it into the air.

So what are your opinions on it? Do you think it would’ve been an effective design?

Aug 11, 2012 at 02:23AM EDT

Wait a second…

I SHOULD HAVE BUMPED THIS WHEN CURIOSITY LANDED ON MARS

Aug 11, 2012 at 05:56AM EDT

GUYS DID YOU HEAR CURIOSITY LANDED ON MARS

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:31PM EDT

Speaking of science, was there not some kind of powder they used to turn fresh water into solid foam, and when it came into contact with salt water it turned back into water? The chemical was supposed to be biodegradable or something, and they were hoping to bombard hurricanes with it to prevent future disasters before they happened. I have not heard news about that for years, but I swear it was real. Does anybody know what I am talking about here or am I nuts?

Aug 11, 2012 at 07:43PM EDT

Piano wrote:

GUYS DID YOU HEAR CURIOSITY LANDED ON MARS

WHAIIITTTT, WHAT

WHEN

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:45AM EDT

Look what I found!

It’s a collection of scientific questions that have been answered by experts on the respective subjects. You can even ask your own questions!

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:44PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!