Forums / Discussion / General

171,009 total conversations in 5,490 threads

+ New Thread

Musical Instruments: what do you play? (or want to)

Last posted Jul 09, 2012 at 02:06AM EDT. Added Jul 03, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT
43 posts from 36 users

Well I think the subject is pretty simple, stick to discussion about instruments; whether they have strings, knobs, holes or belt drives. What do you play? If you don’t play any as of now, name one you would like to dabble in or just stuff you own lying around the house!

I’ve been playing the harmonica nonseriously for about 2 years now, I used to be into clarinet thanks to school band. I’m picking up the fife and doing random things with that and I have been playing paino/keys improv for nearly my whole life. I got myself a midi keyboard which allows much more sound when it comes to that department (8-bit synths! woohoo!)

There is a guitar and I think a alto sax in my home, and I’ve never bothered with them.
now it’s your turn!

Jul 03, 2012 at 09:25PM EDT

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument…

Jul 03, 2012 at 09:32PM EDT

I used to play piano as well, but then I decided to get into recording instead. It’s been fun. I’ve also done some stuff with Reason a few years ago.

Jul 03, 2012 at 09:36PM EDT

I used to play piano when I was young, but then I got bored of it, so I stopped. I regret that decision.

Jul 03, 2012 at 10:09PM EDT

Trumpet.

Played for 7 years. Played in an award-winning marching band and concert band. Got so good at it, I got a military scholarship and put on 2nd chair on the first day.
Then the chronic disease nation attacked. Thank you very much, military health regulations.

Also used to play viola in elementary school.

Jul 03, 2012 at 10:16PM EDT

Alton Brown the windigo wrote:

contra alto bass clarinet you freakin’ boss

Jul 03, 2012 at 11:13PM EDT

^My brother plays that thing.

I, on the other hand, play the trumpet.

I started playing it about seven years ago, in sixth grade. Over the years, I’ve gotten progressively better at it, especially after leaving the laughably poor middle school band I started in. It’s given me many opportunities, such as being bugler in my local boy scout troop, a job I almost completely loathe (getting up earlier than everyone else might be a reason).

Back in 2009, I joined my high school marching band, Western High School’s Pride of the Wildcats, and we put on a marching show, “The Escape.” As it turns out, 2009 was our year; we placed 3rd in state semifinals, and 4th in finals at Tropicana Field. Two years later, in 2011, I was lucky enough to be promoted to the title of Drum Major, a position unprecedented for a junior. I think I was given the job not because of my musicianship, which leaves much to be desired, but because of my dedication, and my loyalty to the organization, something I try to project around here. Honestly, I think the job taught me a lot, and I don’t regret taking it, but I wish I hadn’t been in the shadow of a much greater superior; the guy that left before me is a hard act to follow. That year, the entire band worked harder than we’ve ever worked to try and reproduce what happened in 09, and we were nearly successful. In the end, however, we got screwed over by a corrupt system, and after an entire season of first place finishes, we ended up in 13th. It left a lot of us, myself included, with broken hearts and crushed spirits.

But I digress. I’ve been playing trumpet for about seven years, I’ve never really been good at it, I still don’t think I’m very good at it, and I really don’t think I’m going to get any better at it. In lieu of continuing this vicious cycle, I believe I’ll have to do what everyone expects of me, that is, taking a less frustrating path, and switching to low brass.

Might try to learn guitar. Because what the fuck.

Last edited Jul 03, 2012 at 11:34PM EDT
Jul 03, 2012 at 11:33PM EDT

I’ve played all of these. I still have the guitar, but I don’t really play anymore.

Jul 03, 2012 at 11:43PM EDT

I hope to be able to play the piano and guitar by the time I leave college, but I’ll need formal classes. Parents never forced me to learn an instrument as a kid, or any of that. >:|

Jul 04, 2012 at 12:10AM EDT

I’ve dabbled in a lot of instruments: piano, guitar, ukulele, bass, violin, cello, trumpet, flute, saxophone, and harmonica are ones that I’ve tried, but the first three are the only ones I’ve put serious effort into, and coincidentally are the only ones that I’ve owned.

@Pseudogenesis:
When I was a kid, I asked my mom on several occasions if I could learn how to play one instrument or another, and she told me, “Oh, you don’t want to do that; it’s too hard.” I’m fairly angry about it today.

Last edited Jul 04, 2012 at 12:18AM EDT
Jul 04, 2012 at 12:16AM EDT

Let’s see. I can play the violin (somewhat), piano (meh), harp (it’s actually not that hard), and bass guitar (33% easier than normal guitar!).

Also triangle.

Jul 04, 2012 at 01:41AM EDT

Brucker wrote:

I’ve dabbled in a lot of instruments: piano, guitar, ukulele, bass, violin, cello, trumpet, flute, saxophone, and harmonica are ones that I’ve tried, but the first three are the only ones I’ve put serious effort into, and coincidentally are the only ones that I’ve owned.

@Pseudogenesis:
When I was a kid, I asked my mom on several occasions if I could learn how to play one instrument or another, and she told me, “Oh, you don’t want to do that; it’s too hard.” I’m fairly angry about it today.

I’d definitely be angry if anything like that had happened, because that’s basically just brushing your kid aside because you don’t want to pay. (If you don’t mind me saying.) My parents would’ve supported me fully, but being a kid all I wanted to do was sit around and play N64 instead of focusing on things that would’ve been incredible in the long run. I guess I’m apathetically resentful that they didn’t just strap me into a class and make me learn to play an instrument, but it doesn’t bother me. Better late than never, eh?

Jul 04, 2012 at 01:41AM EDT

If I had the time and patience, I may go learn the Violin or the Harp.

Just a thought…

Jul 04, 2012 at 03:04AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

If I had the time and patience, I may go learn the Violin or the Harp.

Just a thought…

I know someone who can play the harp actually. If you could would it be one of those large room ones that stand up on their own or one you could carry with your hands?

Jul 04, 2012 at 03:13AM EDT

Pseudogenesis wrote:

I’d definitely be angry if anything like that had happened, because that’s basically just brushing your kid aside because you don’t want to pay. (If you don’t mind me saying.) My parents would’ve supported me fully, but being a kid all I wanted to do was sit around and play N64 instead of focusing on things that would’ve been incredible in the long run. I guess I’m apathetically resentful that they didn’t just strap me into a class and make me learn to play an instrument, but it doesn’t bother me. Better late than never, eh?

Pay for what? Lessons? Can’t you get those free in public school? Instrument? When I suggested to my mother that I might learn the flute, it was because I found out she had her own flute from when she was in school, and I figured it would be convenient.

Eventually, in high school, my parents bought me an NES (which was the best system at the time) and it proved actually once again that I was cheaper than my parents: even though they offered to buy me any game I wanted, I told them that I couldn’t imagine paying as much as $20 for a game, so I bought or traded all my games used from my friends.

No, I’ve always suspected that my mother always knew I had ADD, and didn’t want me to get frustrated. She talked me out of taking a typing class in high school! I feel that I grew up with no concept of discipline, even though I was virtually begging for it in some instances.

During the very last semester of college, I took beginning music theory, and loved it, regretting I’d never gotten into it before.

Jul 04, 2012 at 04:04AM EDT

I play bass. And double bass. I used to fart around on the trumpet some, too, but yeah. Gimmie that bass cleft music.

Jul 04, 2012 at 09:45AM EDT

I know how to play various instruments.But sadly,I didn’t play some of them since long ago (about 5 years)

Past:

I used to play Psaltery as a child on my musical courses.Basically, you play that instrument in the way you play a violin or a guitar except this one has a triangular shape & it’s a bit more heavy to carry.

I also have played a bit of Piano (Synthesizer) but I didn’t have a chance to own one which it’s kinda a disapointment.Once I get enough money I’m planning to buy one certainly.

I tried the Xylophone.
But I wasn’t interested very much so I said that kind of instrument isn’t for me and I stopped.

Today:

I play Guitar (Both Acoustic and Electric) on my free time and I’m currently learning how to use a DAW (a software) to create electronic music and generate some Drum pattern.

Jul 04, 2012 at 12:05PM EDT

I play trumpet.

Jul 04, 2012 at 12:55PM EDT

Skimaskkass wrote:

I know someone who can play the harp actually. If you could would it be one of those large room ones that stand up on their own or one you could carry with your hands?

Probably one of the large ones. The small ones have always seemed funny to me.

Jul 04, 2012 at 04:28PM EDT

Ok…
Trumpet
Trombone
Tuba

I even know a little on the Picclo, the only reason I tried learning it was because DBZ

Currently learning
Accoustic Guitar

Jul 05, 2012 at 03:15PM EDT

I’m good at playing piano, violin, guitar, and bass guitar. I’ve farted around on cello and a few small wind instruments. I’d really like to pick up the celtic harp actually, but they’re expensive, and I find I have so little time to practice my current instruments as is.

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:29PM EDT

I play the Clarinet and Alto Saxophone. I started when I was 9. Eventually I started because I wanted to be in a cool band…Later I was bored with it for a while, but took it back up a few years later. Very thankful my parents encouraged me to learn a musical instrument.

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:38AM EDT

Guitar and Piano. There’s a flute lying about in my house but only my sisters know how to work that thing. The piano has been collecting dust at the corner of my room for who knows how long now. I started playing once I mastered the guitar I got for christmas a year ago, which I didn’t even ask for. I started twanging it since it was already there, in a few weeks I was able to play easy songs, I was satisfied with that, and I decided to give the piano a shot since I had fun playing with the guitar.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:51AM EDT
  • Piano
  • Keyboards
  • Synthesizer
  • Clarinet
  • Alto Clarinet
  • Contralto Clarinet
  • Mandolin
  • Vocoder
  • Soprano Saxophone
  • Alto Saxophone
  • Baritone Saxophone
  • Sitar
  • Dilruba
  • Alto Ocarina
  • Harmonica
  • Singing
    I have a microKorg synthesizer/vocoder. It makes me orgasm when I hear the sounds man. And yes, sitar. Also, I don’t want to learn guitar because why do that when all my bitches are keyboard instruments?
Jul 06, 2012 at 05:43PM EDT

Original beast that I am, I play the trumpet.

I’m not exactly DCI material, but I do all right.
I… also have a habit of singing in the shower, if that counts.

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:55PM EDT
  • Piano
  • drums (full set)
  • Snare drum (free standing)
  • This thing (I’m serious, I actually got really good with it)
  • I also sing

I can learn and become proficient with any instrument in very quickly. After three months with the piano, I can play this:

It’s extra fun to play at a party!

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:06PM EDT

I remember having to use a recorder in grade school. I never actually understood how it worked so I had to bullshit every note and hope nobody noticed.

I also had an electric guitar and pretty much did the same thing with it, but I didn’t want annoy my pets or family so I never play it much.

Tch. Should’ve got drums.

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:54PM EDT

Allow me to begin.
While some of these instruments I do not play fluently, I can get notes out of them, and I know the playing technique, I’m just not good with the fingerings.

1. Guitar (Acoustic, Electric, Slide, Resonators, Any 6 String) I have an Schecter Omen Solo 6, Gibson Epiphone SG Special, Yamaha Acoustic, Madiera 12 String Dreadnought, Epiphone Les Paul Special,

2. Bass-My brother owns all the family basses, like how I own the family guitars, and the only 2 Basses I know he has are the Dean Electro-Acoustic, and the Gibson Thunderbird

3. Banjo-My friend owns one that I fondle mess around with

4. Lap Steels (Type of guitar with a very different playing style) I have a Artisan Lap Steel

5. Piano/Keytar/Synthesizer-I own a Casio CTK-780, but I’ve played Keytar at music stores, as well as synths

6. Melodica- Not the flute type, a piano with a tube you blow in

7. Fife-Yamaha

8. Oboe-I’ve played a friends, it’s a more complex fife, essentially

9. Flutophone(Who can’t?) Just a Flutophone

10. Recorder (Who can’t?) Just a Recorder

11. Ocarina-2 of my friends own them, I play them both from time to time

12. Saxaphone(I’m not going to count the different types(Tenor,Alto,Etc.))

13. Clarinet(Only played a E Flat if I recall correctly, It’s my friends(Not Ale))

14. Harmonica- I own the Hohner Piedmont Blues Harp set

15. Sitar(Another one I’ve only played at a friends(Alejandro), but know the technique)

16. Violin-My sister owns this one, it’s missing the bow, but I pluck with it

17. Drums-I play at my friends houses, but my little brother may be getting a set

18. Xylophone-My little bro has a toy one, but I’ve played real before

19. Autoharp-I played with one at school a few years back

20. I sing

I wouldn’t count it, but I can use the Vocoder on Alejandro’s Synth.

21. Mandolin-My older brother has one I screw with

22. Ukulele- Play my friends’, but my brother has one

There are probably more I’m forgetting. But as you can tell, music is a shared interest with me, my friends, and family. My family all shares instruments, and I’ve learned all of the ones we own.

Last edited Jul 09, 2012 at 02:08AM EDT
Jul 09, 2012 at 02:06AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!