Forums / Discussion / General

232,892 total conversations in 7,789 threads

+ New Thread

Star Wars: Battlefront III

Last posted Jul 05, 2012 at 08:31PM EDT. Added Jul 05, 2012 at 05:49PM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

You had me excited for a second, until I did a bit of research into the development of the game. The Co-Founders of Free Radical; David Doak and Steve Ellis, stated that LucasArts basically destroyed any hopes of them releasing Battlefront 3.
This is a summary of the article:
Battlefront 3 had started in mid-2006, and development continued until early 2008. Then appointment of Darrell Rodriguez as president of LucasArts was announced on April 2nd 2008. Upon his appointment LucasArts was making sweeping changes as part of a new strategy, the first step of which was cutting their outgoings in half. Huge numbers of staff were fired, an entire layer of management was removed, and countless projects were canned including Star Wars: Battlefront III. “For a long time we talked of LucasArts as the best relationship we’d ever had with a publisher,” says Ellis. “Then in 2008 that disappeared, they were all either fired or left. Then there was a new guy called Darrell Rodriguez, who had been brought in to do a job and it was more to do with cost control than making any games. And the games that we were making for them were costly.”

Last edited Jul 05, 2012 at 06:42PM EDT

Joe Amethyst wrote:

Well, all they really have their hands full with right now is Old Republic? And I would assume Force Unleashed 3. Is there anything out besides that?

1313 is released in December, I believe. I don't know how much work they're still doing on it or if they'll be focusing on DLC or sequels afterwards, but between all their current projects I think it's highly unlikely they're working on another.

1313 looks good, just not what I was hoping for when they said "a big LucasArts release."

Joe Amethyst wrote:

Well, all they really have their hands full with right now is Old Republic? And I would assume Force Unleashed 3. Is there anything out besides that?

The Old Republic is being handled by BioWare. Nothing to do with the guys who make those other games. Force Unleashed and 1313 are both devolved by LucasArts, and with Pandemic Studios, who developed the other Battlefront games, being shut down it's unlikely this game will ever take light.
It's sad.

Joe Amethyst wrote:

I don't believe there was ever a plan to continue the Force Unleashed franchise after the second installment, which wasn't very good.

I've heard both sides of the coin, but I've found articles backing that they are making it. It'd look a little bad to just leave it hanging right there, seeing as there's about as much closure to it as Mass Effect 3's original ending.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!