Forums / General

191,007 total conversations in 5,236 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
KYM Pokémon General

Last posted Apr 14, 2014 at 08:00PM EDT. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
1,556 conversations with 129 participants

You know what really grinds my gears? When reviewers complain that the latest pokemon game “still feels like a pokemon game”. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT? GRAND THEFT GOGOAT?!

Can someone elaborate WHY reviewers feel this way?

Oct 12, 2013 at 01:07AM EDT

My body has transcended any form of ready.

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:12AM EDT

Like I mentioned before, I like how the EXP Share gives EXP to all Pokémon in your party. I haven’t had to grind nearly as much (if at all) as previous gens. Oh, and with the online, it appears as though you can use voice chat using the 3DS’s mic (although the sound quality is so bad it’s like you’re recording your voice with a potato)

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:26AM EDT

Being able to sit down, hunching down to speak to children, and the first gym leader mentioning my pidgy. Little things that make this game so much more immersive.

Last edited Oct 12, 2013 at 01:57PM EDT
Oct 12, 2013 at 01:56PM EDT

Calkarot wrote:

You know what really grinds my gears? When reviewers complain that the latest pokemon game “still feels like a pokemon game”. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT? GRAND THEFT GOGOAT?!

Can someone elaborate WHY reviewers feel this way?

The problem is you could hand a reviewer Grand Theft Gogoat and they wouldn’t know the difference between it and any other pokemon game because they wouldn’t even bother to play anywhere near half of it.

Anyways I’m really enjoying the huge selection of pokemon we get this time and I really wasn’t expecting to be able to catch some of those that I did before the second gym.

Also I just love this little fucker.

Last edited Oct 13, 2013 at 02:54AM EDT
Oct 13, 2013 at 02:32AM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

The problem is you could hand a reviewer Grand Theft Gogoat and they wouldn’t know the difference between it and any other pokemon game because they wouldn’t even bother to play anywhere near half of it.

Anyways I’m really enjoying the huge selection of pokemon we get this time and I really wasn’t expecting to be able to catch some of those that I did before the second gym.

Also I just love this little fucker.

Huge? 6th gen has the least amount of new pokemon ever. 69 (lol) i believe.

Oct 13, 2013 at 06:32AM EDT

Okay… Only place I can find to say this where it will be relevant rather than a side note… But…

Has anyone noticed yet that Fennekin’s two evolutions both use their Branch as a wand in thier attack animations? Like… They’re basically Harry Potter Style Wizards… Or Wizardesses?

Of course… We’ve already got a Witchy Kitsune, if you Recall Zoroark sounding like it has a Witches Coven, and we’ve got Lucario as an Oracle. (Serriously. Lucario is just the Japanese Sylables for Oracle arranged backwards).

So yeah… At this point I’ve got a team of Fox Magicians.

Time to wait and see how long it takes for someone to draw Delphox with Glasses and a Scarf.

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:07AM EDT

I’d be posting a lot more, but I’ve been discovering so much about the game, I don’t want to spoil even the mechanics…

For example, I caught a Honedge. Steel/Ghost pokémon that’s a cool concept? I’ll take that to the bank.

But Ghost-type moves (I learned via Lick) and Dark-type moves (I learned via Bite) strike for Super-Effective damage instead of neutral.

Did Steel get nerfed while I wasn’t looking? It would make sense with the needed redistribution of strengths and weaknesses with the Fairy-type, but that was certainly unexpected.) I’ll have to test it with another Steel-type to be sure.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:50AM EDT

Verbose wrote:

I’d be posting a lot more, but I’ve been discovering so much about the game, I don’t want to spoil even the mechanics…

For example, I caught a Honedge. Steel/Ghost pokémon that’s a cool concept? I’ll take that to the bank.

But Ghost-type moves (I learned via Lick) and Dark-type moves (I learned via Bite) strike for Super-Effective damage instead of neutral.

Did Steel get nerfed while I wasn’t looking? It would make sense with the needed redistribution of strengths and weaknesses with the Fairy-type, but that was certainly unexpected.) I’ll have to test it with another Steel-type to be sure.

Yes, it would appear Steel did indeed get a nerf. They are no longer resistant to Dark or Ghost moves, bringing Steel’s total number of resistances down to ten.

Crying shame, really. Steel is my favorite type. I hate to see it get the nerf bat.

It’s also upsetting because Honedge and it’s evolved forms were the 6th generation Pokemon I was most looking forward to. I expected them to have only two weaknesses due to their typing, but instead I’m treated with four.

Feels bad man.

Here is type chart updated for 6th generation, courtesy of Bulbapedia, as well as charts from previous generations to compare.

@Calkarot:

I think Iamslow is talking about the Pokedex of the game in its entirety (all generations), which is huge. It’d be a fair wager that there are more Pokemon from all generations available in a single game than ever before.

@Lunar Protege:

LUCARIO IS A JACKAL, NOT A FOX, GET IT RIGHT GAWD ASASDFHDFSHG

A word on Ghost-types in general:

They’ve been mixing in pretty unique combinations of Ghost since generation IV, and show no signs of slowing down. This generation we not only have the aforementioned Ghost/Steel, but Ghost/Grass and Ghost/Fairy as well.

What’s next? Ghost/Fighting?

Please let that be what’s in store for us in 7th gen.

Last edited Oct 13, 2013 at 11:56AM EDT
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:33AM EDT

Friend Code: 1779-0712-9620

For whoever’s interested.

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:42PM EDT

Calkarot wrote:

Huge? 6th gen has the least amount of new pokemon ever. 69 (lol) i believe.

What Owens said; not new pokemon. I was talking about all of the pokemon you can catch before the second gym from gen 1 to gen 6.

And even though there aren’t many new ones, you can catch a lot of them pretty early, too.

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:12PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Friend Code: 1779-0712-9620

For whoever’s interested.

Statement: I am. Mine is 3840-6310-7317. Will eventually add this to my own profile.

Oct 13, 2013 at 07:46PM EDT

Owens Wrote:

@Lunar Protege:

LUCARIO IS A JACKAL, NOT A FOX, GET IT RIGHT GAWD

I know, I was being Facetious. The point was supposed to be having a team of anthropomorphic canine Wizards, but its just more fun to call them all Foxes, because I think Fox is a more fun word than canine.

…Especially when the point was to combine the word with “Wizards” or “Magician”. And Fox when paired with either rolls off the tongue better than “Dog” or “Canine”, and certainly better than “Jackal”.

And thus having disected the joke, I have killed it… Great job.
Meow

You know how everyone joked how Pokemon #666 would be something demonic? Well… Behold!

…Our utter disappointment!

Last edited Oct 13, 2013 at 11:35PM EDT
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:12PM EDT

@Lunar Protege:

Ha! I was just fucking with you!

Your joke died in vain!

@Iamslow:

I’d breed with her any day, ifyouknowwhatImean.

I think ya do.

Last edited Oct 14, 2013 at 01:42PM EDT
Oct 14, 2013 at 01:40PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

dat pokemon breeder

You will never get to be a part of her strong family.

I thought it was just me, bro...

"U Got It Bad" and "Have You Ever" plays simultaneously in Verbose's head

Oct 14, 2013 at 04:23PM EDT
Last edited Oct 14, 2013 at 08:45PM EDT
Oct 14, 2013 at 08:43PM EDT

Link
According to this, pokemon x and y are just behind grand theft auto for the fastest selling video games of all time.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:46PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Does anyone know where in Kalos I could find Everstones?

I found one from one of the scientists (NPCs in lab coats) in a city, but I can’t remember which city. I think it’s on the northwest side of the continent though, so that might narrow it down some.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:38PM EDT

Adam DeLand wrote:

Does anyone know where in Kalos I could find Everstones?

Shit, I just found one actually. It was in a house in the place with all the stones I believe. But I could be wrong. I wish I remeber more clearly.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:39PM EDT

Philip J. Fry wrote:

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/63546/warning-potential-game-breaking-bug-in-pokemon-xy
http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/14/some-pokemon-x-and-y-players-reporting-game-breaking-save-glitch/
http://www.gamesradar.com/pokemon-x-and-y-save-glitch-reportedly-freezing-games/

Warning: Do not save and shut the system off in the streets in Lumiose City. Either save outside the city or inside a building.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. I just spent an hour this afternoon exploring that city and I’m so glad I decided to fly back to Dendemille before saving and quitting.

I may not go back there if I don’t have to for a while. Hopefully that will get patched out soon.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 12:06AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 12:04AM EDT

It’s only now that I just thought up a good follow up to the Pokemon 666 thing with Virilion (The Butterfly thing.)

…Name one Beelzebub. Also known as “Lord of the Flies”.

(Or Butterflies I guess.)

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 01:24AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 01:20AM EDT

Lunar Protege wrote:

It’s only now that I just thought up a good follow up to the Pokemon 666 thing with Virilion (The Butterfly thing.)

…Name one Beelzebub. Also known as “Lord of the Flies”.

(Or Butterflies I guess.)

DID SOMEBODY SAY BEELZEBUB?!

God, I hated that fucking boss.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 01:31AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 01:27AM EDT

So I’m trying to catch a Staryu for a Starmie-loving friend that only has Y, but every damn one I get has Illuminate. Did Troll Freak retcon Natural Cure off of it or am I just that horrifically unlucky? ._.

EDIT: well scratch that question i finally got one. Lonely nature though. I can’t win. Back to Staryu hunting.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 01:37AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 01:28AM EDT

@Jyron

I know that feel. It took me awhile to get a good binacle the other day but I’m glad I took my time because I love using his evolved form.

This guy’s gotta be one of Gen 6’s toughest non – uber or non – mega customers. He’s got good base stats, that new tough claws ability which boosts the damage dealt by moves that make direct contact and sniper which boosts critical hits, and he can even remember shell smash in case using rock polish and sweeping with moves like razor shell and stone edge isn’t enough. ( I kind of prefer hone claws though because it makes stone edge more accurate).

Damn, Barbaracle. You scary!

And one more little thing for today – every time I enter one of those little border buildings I have to stop and listen to the music that plays in them for a little while.

Last edited Oct 15, 2013 at 02:40AM EDT
Oct 15, 2013 at 02:24AM EDT

Are you guys also playing dress up? I’ve spent quite a bit of money on my girls outfits, but so far I’m sticking with this sweater that shows her midrif and ripped skinny jeans, it’s pretty hot.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:35AM EDT

Anyone notice the thing with the threee legendary Birds of gen 1 showing up unannounced?

They just… Show up… And then before you can even throw a master ball at them or perform ANY action… They fly off.

And I’m just sitting there like…

NOOOOOOOO!

You did Not just do that! You Did not just make the three birds, possibly the ONLY set of legendaries that are content to just sit and wait for you patiently in some mountain into A set of Entei/Suicune/Raikou Wanabees!

Every other legendary has been like… “Hey, we’re plot integral, you’re bound to find us” Or “Hey, catch us if you can, TOO LATE we’re running away!”, or somehow have so much in game Lore they practically challenge you to find them!

Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno on the other hand were always just kind of… There… You walked up the side of a mountain and you just casually find them, and its like “Hey… Sup?” , and then you notice they’re a legendary and then you catch them.

Those guys/girls were too cool to be this attention seeking. They were the equivalent of those cool kids who didn’t grab attention and didn’t seek popularity… They just acted cool for the sake of of being cool. And it wasn’t some hipster style cool either. It was the Aloof big brother cool.

…Sigh…

Mildly comedic rant aside, I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t even give me ONE turn with which to try and catch it when it first appeared. I still had my freaking master ball guys!

…Still do actually. Those “legendaries that run” are kinda the only thing I use them for.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:28AM EDT

Lunar Protege wrote:

Anyone notice the thing with the threee legendary Birds of gen 1 showing up unannounced?

They just… Show up… And then before you can even throw a master ball at them or perform ANY action… They fly off.

And I’m just sitting there like…

NOOOOOOOO!

You did Not just do that! You Did not just make the three birds, possibly the ONLY set of legendaries that are content to just sit and wait for you patiently in some mountain into A set of Entei/Suicune/Raikou Wanabees!

Every other legendary has been like… “Hey, we’re plot integral, you’re bound to find us” Or “Hey, catch us if you can, TOO LATE we’re running away!”, or somehow have so much in game Lore they practically challenge you to find them!

Moltres, Zapdos and Articuno on the other hand were always just kind of… There… You walked up the side of a mountain and you just casually find them, and its like “Hey… Sup?” , and then you notice they’re a legendary and then you catch them.

Those guys/girls were too cool to be this attention seeking. They were the equivalent of those cool kids who didn’t grab attention and didn’t seek popularity… They just acted cool for the sake of of being cool. And it wasn’t some hipster style cool either. It was the Aloof big brother cool.

…Sigh…

Mildly comedic rant aside, I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t even give me ONE turn with which to try and catch it when it first appeared. I still had my freaking master ball guys!

…Still do actually. Those “legendaries that run” are kinda the only thing I use them for.

back in the day i was playing Pokemon Crystal and randomly encountered Raikou in the grass. all of my Pokemon were low level (evolving to finish pokedex) and couldn’t fight back. I just randomly threw a Pokeball (a regular Pokeball) and caught it in 1 try

I caught Raikou with 1 Pokeball.

I haven’t touched the game ever since.

Oct 15, 2013 at 09:22AM EDT

Dac wrote:

Are you guys also playing dress up? I’ve spent quite a bit of money on my girls outfits, but so far I’m sticking with this sweater that shows her midrif and ripped skinny jeans, it’s pretty hot.

After hearing my two British friends gush about the clothes available in Lumiose’s “snob shop” as we call it, I finally got the opportunity to enter it today. I now understand why those two friends talked about clothes and money for about two hours straight at one point. I NEED TO BE A PRETTY CROSS-PLAYER.

Before becoming a sucker for fashion, I dressed in a midrif-showing shirt and short shorts with knee socks. Serena is the most attractive and/or adorable female protag by far.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:03PM EDT

How do you get into the snoby shop?

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:21PM EDT

I’m a Kurenai, the Pokemon restarter. With the help of RandomMan, we plan on making a starter army with Pokerus.

I got to stop restarting. I miss my Kirlia from my last game…

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:01AM EDT

Dac wrote:

How do you get into the snoby shop?

From what we can tell, you need to visit every cafe + major building in town (such as the art museum, restaurants, and Gym, though you don’t need the badge from the latter), along with doing all of the part-time hotel jobs at least once. We haven’t pegged down the exact requirements, but just entering and leaving every building in the city and doing those hotel jobs should get you in.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:35AM EDT

So yeah….. I got Pokemon X yesterday. My team right now isn’t the most impressive. So let us share what our teams are, if we haven’t done so already.

Blaziken
Greninja
Lucario
Charizard
Talonflame
Pikachu

I think I have to many Fire Pokemon, but I meh, I rather go down in flames.

Friendcode: 4398-9569-6328

Last edited Oct 17, 2013 at 05:04PM EDT
Oct 17, 2013 at 05:03PM EDT

My team is
Greninja
Charizard
Tyrantrum
Jolteon
Toxicroak
Doublade

No fairy types because fairy types are for faggots.

Oct 17, 2013 at 06:28PM EDT

My current team

Fennekin ♂
Farfetch’d ♀
Riolu ♀
Meowstic ♂
Absol ♀
Mienfoo ♀

All of them are currently at Lv. 28

Friend code: 1891 – 1696 – 1333

Oct 17, 2013 at 07:06PM EDT

What I’m using:
Linoone (42) -The centerpiece of my team. I have him fully EV trained and everything.
Geninja (42) – I honestly don’t use him that much. Neat design though.
Shedinja (41) -Hate this thing. Always dies. Fun when it doesn’t though.
Hawlucha (41) – Second in command to Linoone. I really like the type combo.
Floette (40) – Doesn’t get much use. All of its offensive moves are physical. Bad. Wish is nice though.
Snorlax (40) – I use one in every game that it’s available.

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:52PM EDT

Dac wrote:

My team is
Greninja
Charizard
Tyrantrum
Jolteon
Toxicroak
Doublade

No fairy types because fairy types are for faggots.

Call me Dicksuck Gaylord then because Mega Mawile will become my ace ’Mon in due time.

Chesnaught – Disappointing on the offensive, so I’m trying to shift him over towards being more of a defensive fighter. Leech Seed and Spiky Shield work well together.
Mawile – Still need to beat the game to get its Mega Stone, but it hits surprisingly hard with its STAB moves regardless. Especially Play Rough. Get at me Dac.
Aegislash – Stance Change is fucking unfair and I love it.
Clawitzer – His partial namesake being a tank is very apt. He takes hits and retaliates with explosive force.
Goomy – Just caught, Super Training the hell out of it now. I plan/hope for it to be an adorable, gooey damage sponge.

I also used Aurorus and (Mega) Aerodactyl for a notable amount of time, but the former has too much weaknesses and the latter fell JUST SHORT a lot of times. No clue who my sixth will be though, but I’ll probably wait to fill that spot out until after the main story due to needing an HM Slave to properly scour every area.

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:15AM EDT

So… what is everyone’s recommendation for training Gengar? Like, EVs and Natures? Also, any recommendations for Scizor?

Last edited Oct 18, 2013 at 07:15AM EDT
Oct 18, 2013 at 07:10AM EDT

So what is the best thing you got off wondertrade?
This was the only non Route 1 Pokemon i have gotten so far.

Guess all those fennekins paid off.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:58PM EDT

I love how we’re allowed to just type in the name of the Pokemon we want into the GTS now. No longer will I have to put up with the tyranny of an Incomplete Pokedex! I can just trade till kingdom come!

… Of course… In light of the fact that one should be able to get 3/4 of the Pokemon on your own… Plus the Pokemon Bank isn’t open yet… The main advantage is that of getting any and every Starter Pokemon you want.

… For example, early in the game, Blastoise fit better into my Pokemon Line up, but I really wanted Charizard (I’ve got Pokemon X). And Since I found a guy in game who sells Mega Stones for Charizard and that, I can just Trade to get one.

This also means we’re technically able to trade for Event Pokemon… But fat chance finding someone who will be offering one.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:34AM EDT

That Feel when you wonder trade your lvl 1 Charmander, and several trades later you get another Lvl 1 Charmander.

Makes me wonder if it’s the same charmander, Same nature, same ability.

Last edited Oct 19, 2013 at 02:20AM EDT
Oct 19, 2013 at 02:19AM EDT

So breeding has been changed. A few improvements, but there is one thing in particular i want to talk about… Remember in previous games where if you saved either right before the egg hatched or right before you received the egg, if you didnt get the nature you wanted you could just reload your game? You can’t do that shit anymore. What the fuck. If you don’t get the nature you want, tough shit, you have to go get an entirely new egg, bitch. Fucking bullshit. I prefer the old method. Lucky I’ve got loads of time to kill. ._.

Oct 19, 2013 at 08:43AM EDT

@Calkarot

That actually means that the process might be more predictable then? It’s either that or try saving before the egg is even available?

If it still happens with before the egg’s conception, that means you are pretty much able to go by some complicated math to know what the nature of the next egg will be, and thus get the Pokemon you want to be the receiver of said nature.

So by doing something that might lessen Save Scumming… they make it more predictable… And by making it more predictable… It gives a few genius people the tools to exploit its predictability for profit and time saving.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:01AM EDT

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!