Forums / Discussion / General

168,525 total conversations in 5,398 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Pokémon General

Last posted Jul 17, 2014 at 11:32AM EDT. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
1666 posts from 139 users

Lil B wrote:

I think I might have one that’s modest. When I get home I’ll check.

If you could do that it would be great.

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:35AM EST
Quote

Nilus wrote:

If you could do that it would be great.

Okay I just looked and it isn’t actually modest. It is sassy though.

Jan 20, 2014 at 09:50AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Well, the picture my brother drew for me sums it up nicely.

If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of the Steel-type in general.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:49AM EST
Quote

Owens wrote:

Well, the picture my brother drew for me sums it up nicely.

If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of the Steel-type in general.

[Jealousy intenifies]

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:54AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Okay I just looked and it isn’t actually modest. It is sassy though.

Ah sorry, but I’m not interested in that. But thanks for looking anyways.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:03AM EST
Quote

Owens wrote:

Attention Pokeymannerz.

I’ve started a Skype Group that you are all welcome to join. I figured it’d be easier to get a hold of people for trading and battle than waiting for thread responses.

Anyone is welcome to join, just message me your Skype name via KYM and I’ll add you to the group. If you don’t want to join, that’s cool too. I’m not trying to kill the thread, after all. I just wanted to do something nice for you guys.

If you’re added to the group, please for the love of Buddha behave yourself. I don’t want the awkward duty of having to remove you for being unruly. You’re also free to come and go as you like. You are not obligated to stay once joining, and you can be added back later if you’d like.

Just in case nobody saw it, on account of it being near the bottom on the last page and therefore not particularly noticeable.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:43AM EST
Quote

Owens wrote:

If you can’t tell, I’m a big fan of the Steel-type in general.

Glorious steel type master race.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:51AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:33PM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Tough question…Well, since I haven’t commented here in a while and this IS an interesting discussion; Darmanitan. You can’t deny its hits are more unexpectedly powerhousing and tremendously widespread in who it effects than puberty, its design is badass (and Buddhist in origin) and most of all, it’s pretty nostalgic. It’s not Hoenn, but damn if he hasn’t been on my team, both abilities, at least once every playthrough since his release. Plus, when played with the right support and at the right time, his “virtually useless” hidden ability has actually garnered me a few unexpected wins. Overall, love its hits, love its design, and love it all around. Darmanitan, yo.

Last edited Jan 21, 2014 at 01:14AM EST
Jan 21, 2014 at 01:12AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Mine would have to be a tie between

and

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:44AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

I like big dogs.

Last edited Jan 21, 2014 at 09:45AM EST
Jan 21, 2014 at 09:45AM EST
Quote

I’ve been trying to get Pokémon I haven’t gotten yet through the GTS since I’ve completed the Kalos Dex and I have done all the Friend Safaris I have so far. Yet no one seems to want to trade for the Feebass that’s holding a Prism Scale (you know what will happen afterwards). If there’s anyone that needs one and has a Pokémon that’s not in the Kalos Dex, notify me.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:26AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Hmm… That’s a tough one…

…You can’t make me pick just one.

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:14PM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Hmmm… I don’t have a specific favorite, so here’s a few:

Skarmory

Garchomp

Jan 21, 2014 at 02:47PM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?

Ugh…I can’t single out just one. There’s too many that I equally love. If you want to see the ones that like, you’d have to check out my DeviantArt gallery

Last edited Jan 21, 2014 at 03:18PM EST
Jan 21, 2014 at 03:17PM EST
Quote

I was playing my old Pokemon Black game and I caught a shiny Timburr! Can’t wait for Pokebank to come out now!

Last edited Jan 21, 2014 at 06:11PM EST
Jan 21, 2014 at 06:06PM EST
Quote

I’m beginning to think the Adorable/Bloodthirsty ratio for favorites shown in images on this page is about 1:4

…Erm… Give or take.

Also I seem to be the only one who’s favorites is basically shipping fuel.

Ironically the favorites that RandomMan posted are kind of more like they could be BOTH adorable and bloodthirsty… Like… Adorabloodthirsty.

Also… To Ann Hiro for having the most adorable pokemon on this page so far…


Anyways… I shall now bring up a related question…

Which two Pokemon do you ship together most?

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:20PM EST
Quote

Swalot is my favorite pokemon. The beautiful duckfaced bastard carried me through Pokemon Emerald. Also, he eats the Pokemon Aime food in one bite. Majestic.

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:41PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

I’m beginning to think the Adorable/Bloodthirsty ratio for favorites shown in images on this page is about 1:4

…Erm… Give or take.

Also I seem to be the only one who’s favorites is basically shipping fuel.

Ironically the favorites that RandomMan posted are kind of more like they could be BOTH adorable and bloodthirsty… Like… Adorabloodthirsty.

Also… To Ann Hiro for having the most adorable pokemon on this page so far…


Anyways… I shall now bring up a related question…

Which two Pokemon do you ship together most?


Is Ash a pokemon?

Ash X Latias OTP

Jan 21, 2014 at 06:56PM EST
Quote

Greninja wrote:

Guys, I need some help knowing stuff.

I want to get into comp battling, but there are some things that’s perplexing to me. I know the Tier System, the effects of entry hazard and weather, and etc. but I have no idea how to build a Proper Team and Synergy. I don’t know how to work a team that revolves around weather, one Pokemon that’s powerful, or making a stall team.

Halp!

For those who didn’t see. I don’t know how the meta-game works and I’m just a beginner to Competitive Battling.

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:39PM EST
Quote

Lily Limestrong Wrote:

Is Ash a pokemon?

Erm…

Ashachu was a thing in episode 241, making it canon, so yes, Ash is a Pokemon

Jan 21, 2014 at 07:46PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

I’m beginning to think the Adorable/Bloodthirsty ratio for favorites shown in images on this page is about 1:4

…Erm… Give or take.

Also I seem to be the only one who’s favorites is basically shipping fuel.

Ironically the favorites that RandomMan posted are kind of more like they could be BOTH adorable and bloodthirsty… Like… Adorabloodthirsty.

Also… To Ann Hiro for having the most adorable pokemon on this page so far…


Anyways… I shall now bring up a related question…

Which two Pokemon do you ship together most?

Glorious Ash x Misty mustard face

Glorious Ash x Serena secondary face

Jan 21, 2014 at 09:03PM EST
Quote

ASH AGE 10 wrote:

Glorious Ash x Misty mustard face

Glorious Ash x Serena secondary face

And so this must be when we all gave up the pretext that shipping two Pokemon together required two Pokemon.

…As opposed to two pokemon trainers.

Le sigh.

…Here… Have an image that wound up on my Tumblr dashboard one night that fits more what I meant.

Last edited Jan 21, 2014 at 09:46PM EST
Jan 21, 2014 at 09:34PM EST
Quote

>Pokebank added onto the eShop
>Only the Japanese eShop

DIRTY WAITO NO GET POKEBANK PREASE UNDERSTANDU

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:10PM EST
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

>Pokebank added onto the eShop
>Only the Japanese eShop

DIRTY WAITO NO GET POKEBANK PREASE UNDERSTANDU

…what?…

If they went for a under the rug release they could at least release it world wide while they’re at it…

Last edited Jan 22, 2014 at 02:32AM EST
Jan 22, 2014 at 02:21AM EST
Quote

A Ring Pop said:

Here’s a question I want to ask all of you. What’s your favorite pokemon that isn’t a legendary or a starter? Mine would be Altaria, because it’s both cute as fuck and great at battling.

What’s yours?


Because she kicks ass. Fun fact: Chansey has only ever been defeated once in the anime, and that doesn’t really count because the pokemon that defeated her was being remote-controlled by a human.

@Shipping
Oh boy, the can of worms. It never ceases to amuse me that Bulbapedia has an article devoted to the shipping wars that have been fought. There’s factions and even treaties that have been signed (the Pact of Pallet, which ended hostilities between Palletshippers and Pokeshippers).

As for best ship, that’s a no brainer,

And yes I am being serious. Ash/Bayleaf remains the only ship that I actually like. Misty can go get burned to death in a fire at her Gym that’s always prevalent in the shipping fanfics, May already has OCD Guy (why do you always adjust your hair, Drew?), Dawn fails too much to be in a relationship, and Iris is such a kid. I don’t know anything about the new one, considering I gotta wait until Febuarary to see the next episode.

@Retro intro
TPCi confirmed for still trying to rape the first eight seasons. The genesis is complete. They’re not even trying to hide the fact that they’re just recycling plots anymore. Now, they recycle the theme songs too. I can’t wait for the dubstep Johto Journey’s remix:
It’s a whole new world we live in, bassdrop
Wubwubwubwubwubwubwub
(I actually really like it. Vastly superior to the shit they did in Diamond and Pearl [Galactic Battles being the exception].)

Jan 22, 2014 at 06:56AM EST
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

>Pokebank added onto the eShop
>Only the Japanese eShop

DIRTY WAITO NO GET POKEBANK PREASE UNDERSTANDU

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:02AM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Evidence

The fact that it has only 3 and a half stars worries me.

Jan 22, 2014 at 07:11AM EST
Quote

Lil B wrote:

The fact that it has only 3 and a half stars worries me.

It was down for a long time and people got angry, so they’re letting their anger vent through the reviews. Like for example the PS3 Avenger Controller after the stuff with Paul Christoforo. Nobody had the product, they just hated something else and vented it through the reviews.

So the rating shouldn’t be taken into consideration with the software.

Last edited Jan 22, 2014 at 08:13AM EST
Jan 22, 2014 at 08:12AM EST
Quote

SirBrownBear wrote:

…what?…

If they went for a under the rug release they could at least release it world wide while they’re at it…

PREASE UNDERSTANDU

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:43AM EST
Quote

Philip J. Fry wrote:

>Pokebank added onto the eShop
>Only the Japanese eShop

DIRTY WAITO NO GET POKEBANK PREASE UNDERSTANDU

@favorite pokemon

It’s pretty much become this guy.

Man have I been using mine wrong though.

Jan 22, 2014 at 05:18PM EST
Quote

Iamslow Wrote:

Man have I been using mine wrong though.

There is a right way and wrong way to use Pokemon?

Lately I just assumed that one could just slap on a diverse range of attack types of the highest attack power possible to a Pokemon while making sure they all match the Pokemon’s proclivity to Attack or Special Attack… Followed up by making sure the IVs don’t stack in the wrong stat of the two.

…Hence maximizing the Pokemon team to deal with any typed opponent.

…I have no idea how when such a straight forward method exists, one can use a Pokemon “Wrong”.

Of course… This is mostly because I have a hard time wrapping my head around most strategies beyond “relentless assault” really. Why one would waste an entire turn using a move that doesn’t do damage directly, when hypothetically one can defeat the opponent in one turn just by using the right typed move of high enough power, is probably beyond me.

I suppose you could say I’m better at planning who’s on a team than what the team does.

(Though technically that also means for Elite four grinding I can just use Mewtwo so as to level up five others at once, since he/she is able to use most move types needed to beat them… One just needs to juggle them around via TMs between battles.)

Jan 22, 2014 at 09:22PM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

Iamslow Wrote:

Man have I been using mine wrong though.

There is a right way and wrong way to use Pokemon?

Lately I just assumed that one could just slap on a diverse range of attack types of the highest attack power possible to a Pokemon while making sure they all match the Pokemon’s proclivity to Attack or Special Attack… Followed up by making sure the IVs don’t stack in the wrong stat of the two.

…Hence maximizing the Pokemon team to deal with any typed opponent.

…I have no idea how when such a straight forward method exists, one can use a Pokemon “Wrong”.

Of course… This is mostly because I have a hard time wrapping my head around most strategies beyond “relentless assault” really. Why one would waste an entire turn using a move that doesn’t do damage directly, when hypothetically one can defeat the opponent in one turn just by using the right typed move of high enough power, is probably beyond me.

I suppose you could say I’m better at planning who’s on a team than what the team does.

(Though technically that also means for Elite four grinding I can just use Mewtwo so as to level up five others at once, since he/she is able to use most move types needed to beat them… One just needs to juggle them around via TMs between battles.)

Because there’s a lot more to Pokémon then just hitting. First and foremost, a decently sizable portion of the “highest attack power” moves quite seldom boast reliable accuracy. What’s the point in 150 base damage if you never hit the opponents in the first place? Next, you’re completely overlooking your Pokémon’s potential in regards to other roles it can play. There are stalls, walls, leads, sweepers (Besides all out attack or special attack, you can run a mixed set), dualscreens, supporters and many, many more ways to outright dominate your opponent. Another thing wrong with relentless assault is it leaves you susceptible to attacks whenever you manage to get hit whether it be the opponent’s strategy, or if you miss (I only say this because, again, high damage moves). Sucker punch, priority status moves thanks to prankster, and all other sorts of quasi-gimmicky strategies pay up big time in the long run.

I think the main thing I need to stress here is the fact that you are not wasting a turn. If you toxic/paralyze the opponent, put them to sleep, or burn them, they’re crippled the entire game through. Burn halves attack, sleep prevents move use, paralysis halves speed, and toxic wreaks havoc on your health. And not only that, raising stats sticks with you an entire game, as long as you never switch out, or if you do, you do so whilst using baton pass. To stress just how much you DON’T waste a turn with status moves, here’s a few videos:












See how they turned some of the weakest Pokémon into one-hit K-O’ing unstoppable monsters with little more than stat alterations? That’s basically what you do when you’re “wasting” a turn, only you’re adding strength to an already powerful Pokémon making it even stronger! And please don’t take this as me trying to one-up you, there is A LOT I don’t understand about the Pokémon meta game myself actually, especially in regards to setting myself up with a decent team. I’ve never used dualscreens, and have yet to use a stat raising move on a serious team more than once on a soon-to-be-fainted Pokémon. I still remember the day when I laughed my posterior off at anyone using a status move (which basically is anything that doesn’t directly do damage) but in truth, it’s one of the most dynamic aspects of the game that can really turn the battle around in your favor! So good luck to you, whether you choose to use status moves or not. And have a wonderful Pokémon experience.

Jan 23, 2014 at 10:05PM EST
Quote

@PhantomBuddhist

There’s a very good reason for me using a straight out offensive attempt…

…Because its either that or face uncertainty against those like my brother, who when he still played, used much the same purely offensive technique I do… And always seems to strike first, and strike hard enough to take down anything I have in one move… And worse… He seems to always have luck on his side enough that he rarely misses.

It’s… Due to people like my brother that I have no foresight.

So let’s start from scratch, as if I’m a blank slate… How do I beat this?

(As weird as it sounds… Yes, I am legitimately paranoid that everyone out there is going to just happen to have Pokemon grown for little more than ending matches quickly.)

Last edited Jan 24, 2014 at 02:01AM EST
Jan 24, 2014 at 01:58AM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

@PhantomBuddhist

There’s a very good reason for me using a straight out offensive attempt…

…Because its either that or face uncertainty against those like my brother, who when he still played, used much the same purely offensive technique I do… And always seems to strike first, and strike hard enough to take down anything I have in one move… And worse… He seems to always have luck on his side enough that he rarely misses.

It’s… Due to people like my brother that I have no foresight.

So let’s start from scratch, as if I’m a blank slate… How do I beat this?

(As weird as it sounds… Yes, I am legitimately paranoid that everyone out there is going to just happen to have Pokemon grown for little more than ending matches quickly.)

Hahah, pffft, please, I know EXACTLY where you’re coming from. Huge competitive battling family over here. I will say though, if you want more extensive (and specific) coverage, I would recommend taking this to my inbox, or perhaps looking into help from someone over at Smogon’s forums. (Especially because I have no idea which Pokemon are on your bro’s team) But as for little tricks that could snag you a quick victory? Alrighty.

First off, you’re not paranoid. Truly competitive players tend to have better virtually flawless Pokémon that are in peak physical condition, and have been since they sucked on the Gameboy screens as toddlers. Nine times out of ten, regardless of location or time, you’ll be up against some tough opponents. (Second day the game was out I almost lost to a Yveltel, fully trained and all.) You need to work out a strategy, and unfortunately, since that’s highly based on your personal decisions, I can’t help you or critique a team that doesn’t quite exist yet.


Super training. This is the same thing as those fancy shnancy EV training guides they had for the last gens. IT IS MANDATORY FOR EVERY ONE OF YOUR COMPETITIVE POKEMON TO BE EV TRAINED IF YOU WANT TO STAND A CHANCE IN BATTLE. IT’S TEDIOUS, REDUNDANT, AND SEEMINGLY POINTLESS, BUT TRUST ME, YOU WILL SEE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE. My best advice for you if you want to start from a blank slate is to use a white bag (which can be randomly obtained from tapping the punching bag icon for a while with nothing currently loaded.) and clear out your Pokémon’s EVs. Subsequently afterwards, decide which stats you want maxed out, and which ones you want empty and keep it that way. BUT BEFORE THAT I NEED TO SCHOOL YOUR REAR ON A LITTLE SOMETHING CALLED….FORCES OF NATURE. AND ALSO IVS.


Don’t let the picture fool you; any Pokémon can be assigned any nature. It’s completely random. That’s why we have breeders, so we can hatch the perfect ideal nature for our Pokémon. It’s only a 10% increase in each respective state that’s boosted, BUT TRUST ME, against your brother this could mean the difference between win or loss. As for IVs? Same principle. Boost your stats, are randomly generated, and you can breed for better ones. Except some of these are passed on during breeding if you give one of the two a destiny knot. You can’t really see them, so to find them out what yours are speak to this guy:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats_judge

Next let’s discuss priority. Ever wonder why protect just always seems to go first? That’s because it’s programmed to. Priority is basically what dictates who moves when. High priority is good and makes you move first, low priority is bad and lets your opponent hit first. (Priority is not the same thing as speed though. Every move without priority is dictated purely by speed in terms of who goes first) Status moves get priority thanks to prankster.

Now….these are just a few of the basics off the top of my head. I can see you really want to beat your bro, but that doesn’t mean you should section yourself off to his level. You want to be a REAL competitive player? Design a strategy to take him down. I want you to defeat every single one of his Pokémon. I challenge you to beat ‘em all. And if you’re not particularly creative today, here are some videos of tactics I’ve used to tick people off. WARNING, HOWEVER. THESE ARE EXTREMELY GIMMICKY, FROWNED UPON AND IN SOME INSTANCES OF COMPETITIVE BATTLING. YOU ALSO RUN THE RISK OF LOSING IF YOU BOTCH THIS, OR YOUR BROTHER USES PRIORITY MOVES.
















Again, good luck, mate! And right back if you have any questions, concerns, feedback, or eccentric coffee mugs used in religious pagan ceremonies.

Jan 24, 2014 at 05:21PM EST
Quote

I feel so embarrassed to talk among side all these hardcore trainers. All I mainly care about my Pokémon is that they aren’t they gender people usually associate them as.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:30PM EST
Quote

Adam DeLand wrote:

I feel so embarrassed to talk among side all these hardcore trainers. All I mainly care about my Pokémon is that they aren’t they gender people usually associate them as.

Why, don’t feel embarrassed friend! No matter how elitist we may seem at times, most of us really just want everyone to enjoy it to the fullest extent possible! We (or at least everyone I know) completely acknowledge Pokémon is rated E for everyone, and that’s not just age! We don’t exactly have a concept of “filthy casuals” and you shouldn’t feel bad, or even graced by our presence if you think we know more about competitive battling. We’re just older or have more experience. I myself am not even that hardcore; I simply wanted to better someone’s knowledge on Pokémon and how to seriously kick some Cloysters.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:37AM EST
Quote

PhantomBuddhist Wrote:

I can see you really want to beat your bro, but that doesn’t mean you should section yourself off to his level. You want to be a REAL competitive player? Design a strategy to take him down. I want you to defeat every single one of his Pokémon.

It’s… Hard to narrow down what my brother will use to an exact list… But if he hasn’t changed over the years much, and he hasn’t… I imagine there’s one constant to his team… It’s not much to go on but it’s something.

Charizard

He’s also expressed many times he prefers Fire and Flying type Pokemon… But that never seemed to be a hard and fast rule considering his 3rd gen use of Groudon.

For some reason… I anticipate that he’ll probably use Pokemon Y… Though I’m not certain as to whether he’ll care about Mega Stones.

As you can imagine, it would be hard for even a specialty or in depth private conversation to get that far just yet with information this out of date/incomplete.

Of course… The weird thing is… I’m starting to notice that some of this information means I should really use a Rock Type Pokemon which I have little experience with using.

… And now that raises a whole ton of other questions on what he would use against Rock types and how to counter those Pokemon…

Hang on a moment… I think I just started a train of thought. Excuse me, while I try and see what comes of it.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:42AM EST
Quote

Lunar Protege wrote:

PhantomBuddhist Wrote:

I can see you really want to beat your bro, but that doesn’t mean you should section yourself off to his level. You want to be a REAL competitive player? Design a strategy to take him down. I want you to defeat every single one of his Pokémon.

It’s… Hard to narrow down what my brother will use to an exact list… But if he hasn’t changed over the years much, and he hasn’t… I imagine there’s one constant to his team… It’s not much to go on but it’s something.

Charizard

He’s also expressed many times he prefers Fire and Flying type Pokemon… But that never seemed to be a hard and fast rule considering his 3rd gen use of Groudon.

For some reason… I anticipate that he’ll probably use Pokemon Y… Though I’m not certain as to whether he’ll care about Mega Stones.

As you can imagine, it would be hard for even a specialty or in depth private conversation to get that far just yet with information this out of date/incomplete.

Of course… The weird thing is… I’m starting to notice that some of this information means I should really use a Rock Type Pokemon which I have little experience with using.

… And now that raises a whole ton of other questions on what he would use against Rock types and how to counter those Pokemon…

Hang on a moment… I think I just started a train of thought. Excuse me, while I try and see what comes of it.

>Prefers Fire and Flying Pokemon
>Wants to beat him
>Stealth Rock
>STEALTH ROCK

Jan 25, 2014 at 09:44AM EST
Quote

TheMiketroid wrote:

>Prefers Fire and Flying Pokemon
>Wants to beat him
>Stealth Rock
>STEALTH ROCK

@Lunar Protege

In case you’re not aware of it, Stealth Rock is an entry hazard. Stuff like Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web, and Stealth Rock are entry hazards.

  • Spikes is pretty simple. If the pokemon is on the ground (i.e., doesn’t have an ability that avoids Spikes like Levitate or is a Flying-type Pokémon,) then it takes damage as soon as it enters battle. The more you use it, the more damage the opposing pokemon take. Great for “breaking” Focus Sashes (an item that prevents the pokemon holding it from fainting when it’s at full HP) or Sturdy (does the same thing, but it’s an ability.)
  • Toxic Spikes is like Spikes. But instead of just causing straight damage, it causes the affected pokemon to be poisoned. If you can use it twice, then it causes the pokemon to be badly poisoned (meaning you lose more HP each turn than you did the last turn. After a while, you’re losing about 1/3 of your health bar each turn.)
  • Sticky Web is also like Spikes, but instead of taking damage, the opponent comes out onto the field and immediately loses Speed. Think of it as an automatic String Shot that you only have to use once.

Stealth Rock is also an entry hazard, but it doesn’t matter if you’re a Flying-type of it you have Levitate. If it’s on the field, you’re (more than likely) taking damage from it.

The reason why “Stealth Rock” is emphasized, is because unlike Spikes, Stealth Rock takes typing into account. Just like most attacking moves, Stealth Rock has a type (i.e., Rock).

So if a pokemon with a resistance (e.g., Ground, Fighting) enters a field with Stealth Rock in play, then it won’t take much damage. So a pokemon like Excadrill (Ground/Steel-type) hardly cares about it.

But if a pokemon with a weakness enters a field with Stealth Rock in play, then it’ll take a lot more damage.
 
 
This includes Fire-types and Flying-types.

So pokemon like Volcarona (Bug/Fire) and Talonflame (Fire/Flying) would start a battle with only half of its HP.


Now me, if I can’t fight with Girafarig, then I probably won’t care.

Look at it.  Look at it, and fear for you team.

But as a friend told me, even if you don’t use the same pokemon or the same the strategies as others, then you should probably know what to expect instead.

So if you see a Talonflame, then you can probably expect to see it with Brave Bird or Acrobatics, and you can probably expect those moves to go first (because of an odd ability called Gale Wings.)

That doesn’t mean you’ll need a Blaziken with Speed Boost and Stone Edge or a Bold nature Vaporeon with Scald. It just means that you’ll need something that can either outspeed Talonflame or can resist its Flying and Fire moves.

You might just be able to (in theory) get a Sharpedo with Speed Boost and Protect or a Floatzel with Agility, give both Aqua Jet, and let that do the talking.

You add a Stealth Rock to the field, and that Talonflame will be…

Talonlame.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:53PM EST
Quote

My current team in Y is:

Chesnaught
Blastoise
Blaziken
Gardevoir
Auroros
Yveltal

(Non-gen 6 ones mega-evolve)

My current Black 2 team is:

Samurott
Volcarona
Wash Rotom
Latios
Garchomp
Therian Tornadus

All of them are at level 100.

My favorite Pokemon… Well that would probably be Latias, or Rotom for the non-legendaries.

Jan 25, 2014 at 01:49PM EST
Quote

@Verbose

It’s also good to mention that Defog got a very useful buff, competitively . As it now removes all entry hazards from the field upon use.

@Me3

I don’t think it’s a very good idea to have more than one Pokemon is your party holding a Mega Stone, as only one can evolve. It’s better to dedicate one, and give the rest items.

Last edited Jan 25, 2014 at 01:54PM EST
Jan 25, 2014 at 01:51PM EST
Quote

I was playing White 2 today and the funniest thing I can’t wait for in poke transporter is…

god damn Heatran in Pokemon Amie

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:53PM EST
Quote

@TheMiketroid
That’s what I do. I just rotate the mega stones when appropriate.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:06PM EST
Quote

So I just just got this off the GTS for one of my Treecko with Pokerus. Has meh stats, but Super Training reset bag can change that…but who cares? IT’S A SHINY!

Last edited Jan 25, 2014 at 05:16PM EST
Jan 25, 2014 at 05:15PM EST
Quote

Me3 wrote:

@TheMiketroid
That’s what I do. I just rotate the mega stones when appropriate.

Ah okay. I though you meant you had them on all at once. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:16PM EST
Quote

Lily Limestrong wrote:

So I just just got this off the GTS for one of my Treecko with Pokerus. Has meh stats, but Super Training reset bag can change that…but who cares? IT’S A SHINY!

sweet fuck

that is beautiful

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:24PM EST
Quote

Hey! You must login or signup first!